Call toll free
4.71/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 2009, SmartBiz Loans provides SBA Loans through a quick and easy three step process. The first step is to prequalify using the secure software. Once you are prequalified, you will work with a SmartBiz Relationship Manager to plan the use of your funds and provide financial information. After confirming your business’ financials, funds can be imported into your account in as little as 7 days after your completed application.

The SmartBiz platform was created to reduce high cost APRs for small businesses making it easier for those businesses to receive loans. The SmartBiz team is committed to providing quality customer service.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

156 SmartBiz Loans Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

I have worked with hundreds of banks in my career and have had none as disappointing as SmartBiz. They were processing my SBA loan and continued to give me wrong and false information. They confirmed twice in writing that I had a closing date, which came and went without any notice of a change. If I didn't initiate contact with SmartBiz, I got no responses or updates. I finally found out who they were working for, and the bank was Florida Capital. That bank told me that they NEVER gave any closing date information and profusely had to apologize for SmartBiz's incompetence and wrong information. Florida Capital was good to work with, but SmartBiz was absolutely terrible. I would HIGHLY caution anyone to stay away from SmartBiz and go directly to the lender. There was nothing but constant frustrations.

Get expert buying tips about Business Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I needed a loan to buy equipment for the business. I started doing the SmartBiz Loans application, and then somebody called me within two minutes. Applying was a lot of work. There was a lot of information but SmartBiz was really good about telling me exactly what I needed. Uploading the documents was very easy, too. Also, if I called, they answered right away, or if I sent them an email, they would respond. The rep that helped me through everything went above and beyond to make sure everything went well and that it was done as soon as possible. I'd highly recommend SmartBiz.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

We were trying to increase our business. The accountant suggested SmartBiz Loans. The application for the financing was really simple and fast. It was done online, mostly through email, and SmartBiz Loans was really fast and helpful. I've used the money I got to buy equipment and hire more people. SmartBiz Loans is really good.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

I liked SmartBiz's reviews online, but applying for the loan was a lengthy process. They asked for a lot of paperwork and they had a lot of verifying to do. Nevertheless, t I didn’t have any difficulty in uploading the documents. Kevin, the rep who helped me, kept me informed the whole time on where the process was at. He was also available for any questions that I had. They helped me achieve my goal and if I had to do it, I would use them again. They're the way to go. I tried to go through the traditional bank that I've been banking with since I had my company, but they turned me down. When I went to SmartBiz, I was able to get the loan. SmartBiz is an excellent company.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2018

We had some short-term higher interest loans that I wanted to get out of, so I was hoping to get an SBA loan. I have looked into it before and it seemed like a really long and complicated process. Then as I was googling SBA loans, SmartBiz came up. Their website said they could make everything quicker and easier. They have a website where I could fill out the application and they would run the numbers to see if I qualify or not. We're a very strong company and we've been in business for 20 years, so I knew that we would qualify and I didn't wanna spend months and months doing it.

I did that application at home on a Sunday night and then someone from SmartBiz called me on Monday afternoon. We talked about our company and the financials or the application that I did. We then started dealing via email. I needed to get them actual finance corporate documents and all of the paperwork that an SBA loan needs. It was a ton of paperwork, but these people were very organized and they knew exactly what they needed, so they could tell me exactly what the bank would need. Working with SmartBiz was a great experience and a great decision. We got the SBA loan, and though we knew we were well qualified given the excellent financials I keep for our business, it was nice having SmartBiz run us through it instead of having to go back and forth. It was good for our business and easy for us, much easier than it would've been to go directly to the bank.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SmartBiz Loans?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2018

I looked at the letter I received in the mail and then I went online and came to check them out a little bit, and then I contacted SmartBiz. I had looked into some others, but, at LinkedIn where I am a member, SmartBiz was listed by a few other companies that have used them and had very good results. I then went for an SBA loan. They asked for some general information, sent it to them, and then they told me that I qualified for the loan and what the amount that I would qualify for was. It fitted into what I was looking for.

Then, after that, they needed a lot of paperwork, which I understood because of the SBA loan. If I had a question about why they needed some paperwork, they had the information on why they needed it and why it was required. I would send them the information that they asked for, and if they needed additional information, they would contact me. We would get it to them and just moved forward. They were very informative and they gave very instant responses to my questions.

I had some difficulty uploading the docs as I'm not a computer whiz, but I have a guy in the office that was able to do it with no issues in it. The team I dealt with was fantastic. They kept me well informed as to what was going on. smartBiz got me the financing I was looking for. It got me to where I wanted to be with my business by the end of the year. It has given me the capital that I was planning for some growth for next year. I've already recommended them to a couple of people. Also, my accountant has asked me about them, and he has recommended it to some of his other clients because of the process.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

I went through an initial questionnaire to see if I was worthy for SmartBiz to consider me just based on my credit score. It was low. A rep called me right away to say no. That was that. A month later, I received another call saying, "Hey, your score has improved. We will now allow you to fill out our application." I did. A rep emailed me introducing me to the underwriter. They had me submit all these business and personal financials. My accountant had filed an extension on my personal 2017 taxes, so they just wanted proof of that.

The underwriter called me and said my business returns and financials looked good. In addition, my business had a $40,000 3D printer as well as I personally had equity in my home to act as collateral for the small loan I was asking for of $65,000. But then at the end of the "this looks great" conversation we had just had, the underwriter says, Can you just ask your accountant to go ahead and do your 2017 personal taxes since we're just a month out from them being due? It took a couple of weeks, but I got that in along with all the other miscellaneous paperwork they asked for, i.e., insurance, etc. I was pleased that my 2017 personal taxes showed that I had made more than in previous years.

I was about 75% done with the online application. I went back to finish the last bit when the online application said "under review" and would not let me finish.

Crickets... two weeks later and I have not heard anything back. I emailed, no response. I called the customer service number and the rep answering says, "Oh, you've been denied. Not enough cash flow." I was like, What? You-all just told me everything looked great. He was like, Let me reach out to your specialist because these notes may not be up to date. I'll have them get back to you.

A week later and not a word from them. No call. No email. I looked up my initial rep's number/extension and left him a voicemail. Still no response. So this company tells you everything looks great. If you meet our requirements, you are sure to get approval for this SBA loan and you do meet our requirements. They get all your financials, business and personal and then you never hear from them again. What legitimate company would do that? They could be gathering all this information to sell to the black market for folks looking to steal your identity for all I know.

My experience with getting loans in the past is that reps stay on top of things and keep you posted in real time how things are looking. I regret ever giving this company the time of day. They mislead you into thinking everything is great and then go rogue. It is extremely scary having all your personal and business information out there with folks that are this unprofessional. Please consider going elsewhere.

SmartBiz Loans response

Thank you for taking time to bring this matter to our attention. It appears you didn’t receive the outstanding customer service you deserved. We know your time is valuable and we offer our sincere apologies. We’ve addressed your case internally and are taking steps to make sure communication does not fall short in the future.

We can assure you that your personal, business and financial information is safe and secure. For additional details, review the SmartBiz Loans privacy policy here: https://www.smartbizloans.com/privacy-policy

We wish you and your company the best of luck.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I was looking to refinance existing loans and get some extra working capital for the business. I reached out to Dealstruck and referred me to SmartBiz. Dealstruck said they're really good. So, I reached and spoke to my representative, Mike, and he was fantastic. He walked me through the whole process and it was really good. I looked into other providers and he was the one that was the most comprehensive and gave me the thorough run-through. He was the one I felt most comfortable with.

Right from the beginning, I told him that I had looked at other options, walked down certain things, and then hit roadblocks. So he told me to send my information and he would give me everything he knows as far as whether or not this is gonna be worth my time. He told me, after looking at my information and documentation, that it would be worth my time. He told me exactly how many steps I would have to go through, which was great to have some transparency in the very beginning. He told me everything I would need from the very beginning, so I knew it was gonna be expensive, but at least I knew, going into it. It gave me a good peace of mind knowing, at least I know that it's gonna be a lot of work in the beginning, getting this information, and so, that helped.

It was pretty easy uploading the required documents. Also, I was in regular touch with Mike through the process through email and through calls so, I was able to send to him directly some of the stuff. And if I had any questions, he was always available to help me with it. Working with SmartBiz got me exactly what I needed, which was some relief. I needed to refinance some debts and get some extra working capital to get us prepared for, hopefully, a busy season of business coming up, which is always at the end and beginning of the year. So, it came in exactly at the right time. Things are looking much more hopeful now, so that was a positive change for us.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I got work coming up and a potential increase in our market and our sales. And I wanted some business financing for growth and a small part of it for a piece of equipment. I was referred to SmartBiz and I was told what the process was gonna be, the timeframe, and the terms and it sounded okay so we applied for it and it went through. The process was pretty easy. It was all going online and we have our accounting in order so I got my fingers on pretty easy on that part. We were able to put the paperwork together and download it into the system. Also, SmartBiz had somebody that was helping us and helped made it a little easier via phone and email. Working with SmartBiz helped, getting the loan and just doing what we needed. We're happy with the end results from it. I feel very positive about the future and everything is good as could be expected.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

I sent the request to SmartBiz through their email platform and they contacted me right away. They started working on immediately and helped from the get-go. As we were going through the process, I did my due diligence and I decided to follow through it. They had a quick response and they were always on top of the game. I got a small business loan and I provided all the information they required. The uploading of the documents usually went through fairly quickly, although sometimes it wouldn't upload them and then it would start loading again.

Everybody that I dealt with was very professional. If they didn't know something, or they didn't have an answer, they got back with an answer or with whatever needed. Sometimes I would call Mike and he wouldn't answer, I wouldn't even leave him a message but he would call me back, "Hey, what's happening, you called me?" So, that was pretty good. It was good and nice to work with professional people and people that know what they're doing. Also, I got the loan so, I'm happy.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

SmartBiz seemed to be the most willing to respond. They made a good impression and right in the beginning, were upfront about stuff and what they needed. The guy who did the initial screening was very effective and the loan I got was a small business loan, 10 years, $205,000. All things considered, the process was good. The problems we had, with the side itself, were that they got something wrong and it would be locked-in. They had problems with the address, with the loan amount, with the description of the business, and these things would get locked-in and I couldn't change them. That was annoying.

The worst mishap was the insurance. We got it resolved with my insurance agent eventually. But then we kept getting all these messages saying "urgent." Like none of the other messages had that. For some reason, it was really annoying when I get urgent messages that are no more urgent than anything else. The second one was a real hassle. We don't have a lease and we never had one. We've been running on a handshake. And we had to go to all sorts of gyration like at one point, the guy that owns our buildings had to send them an email. I couldn't commit to renewing the lease because it doesn't exist and I couldn't subordinate my lien on the property because I don't have one. So that was big.

Also, they were asking for arrest records of 2002 in Atlanta where my son got into some crazy thing in the bar and he ended up doing some community service. Getting that taken care of was a problem. It was way, way over-the-top. Other than those, I consistently got timely callbacks with the guy I was working with. We got the loan, it went through with a reasonable amount of assistance. It took us about two weeks of back and forth but it was expected.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I've had a terrible experience with the financial aspect in trying to get my business off the ground. I was sick and tired of going to anybody who said they could help us and they couldn’t. So, this time I went through the SBA and put in a request for them to connect me with somebody that could help us with SBA loans. They shoot out my information and SmartBiz Loans contacted me and I got a loan from them that's called 7(a). The enrollment process was horrible but it was all because of the SBA requirements which are too strict. They put quite a bit of burden on the small businesses as far as paperwork and they make it almost impossible to get a loan. But SmartBiz did a great job of helping us put our package together. Without them, we wouldn’t have gotten the loan.

The customer service was phenomenal. The process was very lengthy and they did everything from beginning to end. I had to provide every single piece of paperwork and letters and financials, but they did the cash flow analysis. We're a junk business that has no performance and we're asking for a million dollars deal. So, they ensure that the information in the package makes sense and that it's accurate. The loan that they helped us to get through the SBA, being that the payments are reasonable, has allowed us to keep a little bit more of our working capital every month and put that working capital towards proposals, work and hiring. It gave us room to breathe. There are other companies which tells you, “Oh, yeah, come borrow for payroll purposes,” but they want you to pay everything back in three months. And so, you got a $1,800 a month payments. So, if you're making $2,000 a month, there goes your working capital.

All of the financial options out there for small businesses are too expensive. The monthly payments are extremely burdensome on small businesses. And so, having people through the SBA to get one of these loans as difficult and as painful as it is, allows small businesses to continue to bid on work, to get some more momentum so that we can survive for a little longer while we're getting a word from the government. With that, I am recommending SmartBiz Loans to my friends. They were able to help me tremendously, and as difficult as the process was, the hand holding and helping us through that really made a big difference for us.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2018

A friend of mine got a loan through SmartBiz Loans and when I needed some extra capital for my business, I went with them. Everything went smoothly and it was a pleasure dealing with them. During application, I spoke to Teddy and he walked me through the whole thing. They helped with which documents I needed and how to write the documents to get the loan done. I had recently done an SBA loan, so I knew the process myself, but they worked through with it. It was very pleasant and it was done very professionally. Working with them cut my interest rate and I paid down some higher debt with that. I was paying 12% and now, I'm paying 8%. So, that’s saving me some money. If a friend asks about SmartBiz, I would tell them that they should try them.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2018

We were looking at changing up and consolidating and went with SmartBiz Loans. The application process was fairly smooth. They asked for financials and what we were looking for and we came to an agreement. We interacted mostly via emails with a few phone calls. They gave me the guidelines of what was needed.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I was exploring the idea of doing an SBA loan but I wasn't ready last year. I always kept SmartBiz Loans in mind and when I was ready, I reached out to them for business expansion financing. Their SBA interest rates were much lower than any other, so I figured it would be smart to deal with them than another company that had much higher interest rates. There was a particular individual that I dealt with the whole time and he was as professional as he could be. Overall, the process was smooth and incredibly easy. It only took a couple of weeks. Working with SmartBiz has improved things quite a bit for me, so I couldn't be happier. I recommend them.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I was looking up SBA loan processes and SmartBiz Loans popped up. I did a research about the company and found that it seemed legit and good, and we went that way. They made the process faster and worked with the broker for me. I didn’t even know that stuff existed and I thought you'd have to do it straight through the bank. So, it makes it easier. I had to give a lot of documents through the process, but in general, it was all fairly easy because I could do everything electronically. And for me, that’s great. I don’t have to mail stuff in. I could just scan or do whatever I needed to do which was great. And then, if they needed adjustment or something, they just tell me.

The people at SmartBiz were super friendly and responsive. I talked to them every day either via email or on the phone for almost the whole process. They were great. They were there for me. Working with SmartBiz made my business possible. We were offered a space to buy and that was kind of the perfect spot, but we had a very short window to come up with the money, and doing an SBA myself, there's no way I would have ever been able to do it in time. They know all the ins and outs. So, it made it easy.

They were able to haggle a few things with the bank because there was asking for a few things that were kind of technically not related, but they know how to verbalize to them and got them to back down on a few things that were kind of unnecessary which was great. They also have a direct line to the bank which was crazy to me, like if they needed something, they talk to the bank, and then it felt like same day, things got resolved. The whole thing was awesome. It requires a lot of work still, but they did all the hard work. I just gave them their stuff. And they even packaged for us. They made everything so much easier.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I researched a little bit, looked at all the pros and cons on there for SmartBiz Loans, and it seemed pretty good. I got an SBA loan from them and the process was pretty easy especially if you have everything on QuickBooks. I keep very good track of all my paperwork, my LLC, and my taxes. I had them all right in QuickBooks, sent them to SmartBiz, and I was funded within a week and a half. The people at SmartBiz were very helpful, and they got right back with me immediately. Anytime I had a question, they could answer it right away. They walked me through the process and they were wonderful to work with. I enjoy going to work today because I know I can grow and I've got plenty there, and the payment back is not out of reach. I would highly recommend SmartBiz Loans.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I was referred first to the VA and then to the Small Business Administration. SmartBiz Loans was one of the companies we were paired up with. We picked the first three that responded and began sending off paperwork. It was SmartBiz that responded first and seemed to be the most aggressive, so that's who we chose. We assumed that they wanted our business, but the number of documents needed during the process was insane. I can go to my bank and they would loan me any amount of money without any documents. Or I could buy at the Harley-Davidson a Smoke Crystal Matte and drive it up and down the freeway without any problem.

The SmartBiz people, however, even made me send them photographs of my front and back door. I also had to send them every single page of my lease contract for the apartment where I live although that had nothing to do with my business. I have a business that has been running and we have great lines of credit, yet SmartBiz made the process so difficult. There were numerous times when we asked ourselves if it was really worth the time and effort to provide them with the ridiculous documents they wanted. Some of the documents they asked for completely made no sense and by the time they were done, they knew what color of car I drove 20 years ago. If I was going to make something up, I'd make up something that's a little more interesting.

My partner and I really thought the process was a joke and that SmartBiz just wanted to see what they could make us do. The process should have been simple. They had my credit score and they knew what our business does because they had all the documents. It sounded to me that those would be pretty much all they needed, but they weren't. I think the process was actually designed to scare most people away. It was about five weeks of insane demands for paperwork. If I could think of any other option, I would probably go with loan sharks or crowd-source funding rather than go through SmartBiz's process again.

I would recommend SmartBiz because it was the one we had luck with. But I would warn people in advance that it's gonna become a full time job for someone for a while to secure the funding. Maybe the problem was I didn't ask for enough but I don't know what would have made that experience go any faster. We're coming up on eight years in business. We produce an extremely expensive product and we've been profitable. My vendors will supply me with metalwork or different things that I need to the tunes of tens and thousands of dollars at that time. We had zero debt and I could show a positive income stream. However, I feel bad because I can't imagine that a brand new business would be able to secure any funding from SmartBiz. 99% of new businesses shouldn't even bother.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2018

We were expanding and hiring some new employees. We worked with SmartBiz Loans and our agent was Hunter. He really worked hard to get the loan done, and that was really big for me. He was just very encouraging, and he was immensely helpful. Wherever he could help, he tried his best to help, and made the process as smooth as he could. The process was more difficult than I thought it should have been. They asked for way too much stuff in underwriting and didn't answer everything upfront. They kept asking for more and more and more. It was just a daunting undertaking to try to get them everything. They should have given me a list of the things they needed initially, and not five different times.

SmartBiz Loans response

Steve,

We’re happy that Hunter guided you through the process and congratulations on your SBA loan.

SmartBiz matches customers with a bank partner most likely to fund their particular business profile. Because of this, additional documentation not originally requested may be required as the application moves through bank underwriting. We understand this can be frustrating and work constantly to streamline the process for efficiency and speed. Your comments will help us improve our service. We know your time is valuable and thank you so much for writing a review.

We wish you and your business continued success!

The SmartBiz Loans Team

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

I received a postcard about SmartBiz Loans and when I looked online for reviews about them, they were mostly positive. The application process was easy and their rep was very attentive. Everything about him is good. Working with SmartBiz Loans has affected my life very positively and I now have more cash flow.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

I sent an inquiry to SmartBiz Loans and they got back to me right away. We started the process and it went very smoothly. An SBA loan is a little bit complicated but other than that, it was fairly straightforward. The guy who was in charge of my loan did a wonderful job. He was right on top of things. I answered back to him promptly and got him the stuff I needed. We ran into a couple of glitches but they were handled very well and very quickly, so no problems. I am very happy. I wanted to get into consolidation loans and get everything under one rope, and they were able to do that. Now, we're going along very smoothly. SmartBiz does a wonderful job and I'd recommend them anytime.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2018

The ease of the process and the amount of information when I called to inquire at SmartBiz were really good. Their application process was very self-explanatory as well. When there were questions, I was able to speak to a person who worked with us and it wasn’t like I had to talk to 50 different people. I was able to speak to one person and he was very approachable and very knowledgeable about the process and what we needed to do. I never had a time when I could not get a hold of him and it was even over a holiday weekend when we were working with them.

Working with them had made us so that we could go forward and increase our business. And also, we were worried about how we were gonna grow. Now, we’re not worried about it and we’re really happy that we were able to go to some conferences and do some things that we wanted to do without worrying how we could make that happen. I’d recommend them. It was the most seamless process that I’ve ever done for anything like that. This was just two weeks of me trying to have all the right paperwork, answering all the right questions and having the help of one person who was just there for me. So, it worked beautifully.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2018

SmartBiz has a lower monthly payment instead of us paying $4,000 on to Biz2Credit. It’s around $1,800 less so it’s a bigger leap and I’m getting a bigger loan. Also, the application process was very easy. The SmartBiz team is great. They’re easy to contact and work with and the rep is very professional and friendly. It’s good working with them because I've got some extra money for working capital to help me get out of debt.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

I wanted a business loan with a company but they said they could not give the amount I was looking for. They recommended SmartBiz Loans. SmartBiz was phenomenal. I worked with Chris. Chris was just very good and very responsive. He would call and respond immediately if I ask a question. He helped me out. It was a very positive experience and working with them has helped my business.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2018

I helped handle everything with Radhika at SmartBiz Loans and she was amazing. She was very responsive to everything and was very easy to get in contact with. If I had a question, she would get back with me immediately and she always kept us informed. She went above and beyond. The process took 30 to 40 days and a couple of weeks of that was getting information that they needed to get it started. It was time-consuming but it wasn't hard. Working with SmartBiz has been great because it helped me pay off some things that I needed to pay off and it gave us extra working money that we can start up new jobs with.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

It was interesting to see what SmartBiz had to offer. I get a ton of that stuff every day and SmartBiz was a little more interesting than the other garbage I get. I received a 10-year SBA loan from them. The rep I had, Zach, was excellent. He was very nice and very patient. Some of the stuff was irritating at times because he was so detailed to make sure that all the Ts were crossed and all the Is were dotted. We got through it and we got the loan. I'm grateful for it. It was a long drawn out process, but it wasn’t too long.

We had a four-year 11.89% loan with another company and it was costing us $1,642 payment. We took about $63,000 and we had paid it down to about $49,000. SmartBiz came in and I told them that we would like to pay that loan off. The rep put the calculation together and he said that he can get me additional. I said sure and he was able to do a $110,000 loan for cheaper than what I was paying for the $63,000 loan balance, which was only $49,000 at that time when we closed on it. I went from $642 to $1,000 and something a month, so I saved $300 plus and added another $59,000 of working capital and paid off my existing loan with the other company. It was a great deal because the rate was lower.

SmartBiz's rates are better than some of these shysters out here who figured we can't get traditional loans easily from the traditional banks. They make it very difficult, but SmartBiz makes it possible. I would like to get more money, but they're telling me that I got to come back six months later. I actually needed about $500,000, but I was grateful for what they did.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

The SmartBiz rep said I was pre-approved for a Small Business Association loan and the interest rate then was only 8.75%. That sounded like a good deal for me to pursue so I did. Their reps were friendly, professional and helpful especially Hunter, the guy that I ended up dealing with the whole time. He was fabulous. SmartBiz certainly made life better for us to be able to get through to the next thing.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I was looking to resolve a debt and SmartBiz Loans offered SBA Loans. The process was easy. The team at SmartBiz Loans was outstanding and they got the job done up to the finish line. I had a perfect experience.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2018

I was looking for an SBA loan to expand my inventory. Since someone had a good experience with SmartBiz, I chose them as well. They went over my personal credit and they asked me for my business' financials. Once they reviewed everything, they said that there's a good possibility that they could get me approved by one of their banks. The officer-in-charge of my application, Hunter, was knowledgeable. And during the entire process, there was nothing that caught him off-guard. He had a plan for any obstacles we encountered, including convincing my landlord to sign the subordination agreement. While it took a while to convince him, everything else was smooth sailing. In the end, SmartBiz made the loan process extremely easy for me. Working with them improved the financial situation for my business. So, if others would need a loan, reach out to SmartBiz.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2018

I had gotten a brochure in the mail from a local bank, and they referred me to SmartBiz Loans. Initially, they asked how much I needed and what I planned on doing with the loan. Thereafter, we got down a little bit closer and got into the nitty-gritty about exactly what I needed and what I wanted to do. They wanted a lot of information, which I had to get for them. Still, everything lined up and went relatively smoothly and there weren't any hold-ups that amounted to anything. Plus, everybody was positive and reassuring. While the process was a little bit slow, the problem was more with the bank. Once the application went to the bank, it seemed like there was a couple of weeks that I just sat there and didn’t do a whole lot.

At SmartBiz, I worked primarily with a young lady named Chloe. She was very optimistic and seemed to know exactly where we were headed and what we needed. There were only a couple of things she asked a supervisor about. With the loan, we won't have a slow Christmas. We went for operating funds primarily and it's nice to be able to keep money in the bank too. We've already purchased some of the new equipment that we were going to and we're getting that all set up before tax season. We're looking forward to what may be the best tax season we've ever had. It could be great around here come next year. I've got nothing but good things to say about SmartBiz Loans.

SmartBiz Loans expert review by Barbara Friedberg

SmartBiz is headquartered in San Francisco. The company was founded in 2008 to help businesses secure small business loans.

• SBA loans: SmartBiz structures their website and application process to simplify the process of applying for an SBA 7(a) guaranteed loan. The company works with SBA lenders to help small business owners find the best choice for their business. If a business does not qualify for an SBA 7(a) loan guarantee, SmartBiz can help the owner find another financing option.

• Quick pre-approval: Interested customers can fill out an online application to be pre-approved for a loan. This process takes less than five minutes and will not impact their credit score. They should note that the pre-approval and application processes are different.

• Time to funding: Business owners can receive funds as soon as one week after their application is approved. For many customers, the entire process, from applying to receiving funds, takes about two weeks.

• Success stories: SmartBiz’s website features the stories of their successful clients, so interested consumers can see how other business owners benefited from a loan.

• Blog: Regular posts on SmartBiz’s blog are useful and informative for all business owners. Topics include understanding a credit score, office decoration and insurance. They also post tips about small business loans, legal matters and hiring practices.

• Best for: SmartBiz caters to business owners interested in securing an SBA guaranteed loan between $30,000 and $350,000.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg