Call toll free
4.88/5

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 2009, SmartBiz Loans provides SBA Loans through a quick and easy three step process. The first step is to prequalify using the secure software. Once you are prequalified, you will work with a SmartBiz Relationship Manager to plan the use of your funds and provide financial information. After confirming your business’ financials, funds can be imported into your account in as little as 7 days after your completed application.

The SmartBiz platform was created to reduce high cost APRs for small businesses making it easier for those businesses to receive loans. The SmartBiz team is committed to providing quality customer service.

A+BBB Rating
View More View More

182 SmartBiz Loans Consumer Reviews and Complaints

1 featured review
View 1 featured review
Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I was looking to refinance existing loans and get some extra working capital for the business. I reached out to Dealstruck and referred me to SmartBiz. Dealstruck said they're really good. So, I reached and spoke to my representative, Mike, and he was fantastic. He walked me through the whole process and it was really good. I looked into other providers and he was the one that was the most comprehensive and gave me the thorough run-through. He was the one I felt most comfortable with.

Right from the beginning, I told him that I had looked at other options, walked down certain things, and then hit roadblocks. So he told me to send my information and he would give me everything he knows as far as whether or not this is gonna be worth my time. He told me, after looking at my information and documentation, that it would be worth my time. He told me exactly how many steps I would have to go through, which was great to have some transparency in the very beginning. He told me everything I would need from the very beginning, so I knew it was gonna be expensive, but at least I knew, going into it. It gave me a good peace of mind knowing, at least I know that it's gonna be a lot of work in the beginning, getting this information, and so, that helped.

It was pretty easy uploading the required documents. Also, I was in regular touch with Mike through the process through email and through calls so, I was able to send to him directly some of the stuff. And if I had any questions, he was always available to help me with it. Working with SmartBiz got me exactly what I needed, which was some relief. I needed to refinance some debts and get some extra working capital to get us prepared for, hopefully, a busy season of business coming up, which is always at the end and beginning of the year. So, it came in exactly at the right time. Things are looking much more hopeful now, so that was a positive change for us.

Get expert buying tips about Business Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2018

SmartBiz seemed to be the most willing to respond. They made a good impression and right in the beginning, were upfront about stuff and what they needed. The guy who did the initial screening was very effective and the loan I got was a small business loan, 10 years, $205,000. All things considered, the process was good. The problems we had, with the side itself, were that they got something wrong and it would be locked-in. They had problems with the address, with the loan amount, with the description of the business, and these things would get locked-in and I couldn't change them. That was annoying.

The worst mishap was the insurance. We got it resolved with my insurance agent eventually. But then we kept getting all these messages saying "urgent." Like none of the other messages had that. For some reason, it was really annoying when I get urgent messages that are no more urgent than anything else. The second one was a real hassle. We don't have a lease and we never had one. We've been running on a handshake. And we had to go to all sorts of gyration like at one point, the guy that owns our buildings had to send them an email. I couldn't commit to renewing the lease because it doesn't exist and I couldn't subordinate my lien on the property because I don't have one. So that was big.

Also, they were asking for arrest records of 2002 in Atlanta where my son got into some crazy thing in the bar and he ended up doing some community service. Getting that taken care of was a problem. It was way, way over-the-top. Other than those, I consistently got timely callbacks with the guy I was working with. We got the loan, it went through with a reasonable amount of assistance. It took us about two weeks of back and forth but it was expected.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2018

I've had a terrible experience with the financial aspect in trying to get my business off the ground. I was sick and tired of going to anybody who said they could help us and they couldn’t. So, this time I went through the SBA and put in a request for them to connect me with somebody that could help us with SBA loans. They shoot out my information and SmartBiz Loans contacted me and I got a loan from them that's called 7(a). The enrollment process was horrible but it was all because of the SBA requirements which are too strict. They put quite a bit of burden on the small businesses as far as paperwork and they make it almost impossible to get a loan. But SmartBiz did a great job of helping us put our package together. Without them, we wouldn’t have gotten the loan.

The customer service was phenomenal. The process was very lengthy and they did everything from beginning to end. I had to provide every single piece of paperwork and letters and financials, but they did the cash flow analysis. We're a junk business that has no performance and we're asking for a million dollars deal. So, they ensure that the information in the package makes sense and that it's accurate. The loan that they helped us to get through the SBA, being that the payments are reasonable, has allowed us to keep a little bit more of our working capital every month and put that working capital towards proposals, work and hiring. It gave us room to breathe. There are other companies which tells you, “Oh, yeah, come borrow for payroll purposes,” but they want you to pay everything back in three months. And so, you got a $1,800 a month payments. So, if you're making $2,000 a month, there goes your working capital.

All of the financial options out there for small businesses are too expensive. The monthly payments are extremely burdensome on small businesses. And so, having people through the SBA to get one of these loans as difficult and as painful as it is, allows small businesses to continue to bid on work, to get some more momentum so that we can survive for a little longer while we're getting a word from the government. With that, I am recommending SmartBiz Loans to my friends. They were able to help me tremendously, and as difficult as the process was, the hand holding and helping us through that really made a big difference for us.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2018

I was looking up SBA loan processes and SmartBiz Loans popped up. I did a research about the company and found that it seemed legit and good, and we went that way. They made the process faster and worked with the broker for me. I didn’t even know that stuff existed and I thought you'd have to do it straight through the bank. So, it makes it easier. I had to give a lot of documents through the process, but in general, it was all fairly easy because I could do everything electronically. And for me, that’s great. I don’t have to mail stuff in. I could just scan or do whatever I needed to do which was great. And then, if they needed adjustment or something, they just tell me.

The people at SmartBiz were super friendly and responsive. I talked to them every day either via email or on the phone for almost the whole process. They were great. They were there for me. Working with SmartBiz made my business possible. We were offered a space to buy and that was kind of the perfect spot, but we had a very short window to come up with the money, and doing an SBA myself, there's no way I would have ever been able to do it in time. They know all the ins and outs. So, it made it easy.

They were able to haggle a few things with the bank because there was asking for a few things that were kind of technically not related, but they know how to verbalize to them and got them to back down on a few things that were kind of unnecessary which was great. They also have a direct line to the bank which was crazy to me, like if they needed something, they talk to the bank, and then it felt like same day, things got resolved. The whole thing was awesome. It requires a lot of work still, but they did all the hard work. I just gave them their stuff. And they even packaged for us. They made everything so much easier.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

I was referred first to the VA and then to the Small Business Administration. SmartBiz Loans was one of the companies we were paired up with. We picked the first three that responded and began sending off paperwork. It was SmartBiz that responded first and seemed to be the most aggressive, so that's who we chose. We assumed that they wanted our business, but the number of documents needed during the process was insane. I can go to my bank and they would loan me any amount of money without any documents. Or I could buy at the Harley-Davidson a Smoke Crystal Matte and drive it up and down the freeway without any problem.

The SmartBiz people, however, even made me send them photographs of my front and back door. I also had to send them every single page of my lease contract for the apartment where I live although that had nothing to do with my business. I have a business that has been running and we have great lines of credit, yet SmartBiz made the process so difficult. There were numerous times when we asked ourselves if it was really worth the time and effort to provide them with the ridiculous documents they wanted. Some of the documents they asked for completely made no sense and by the time they were done, they knew what color of car I drove 20 years ago. If I was going to make something up, I'd make up something that's a little more interesting.

My partner and I really thought the process was a joke and that SmartBiz just wanted to see what they could make us do. The process should have been simple. They had my credit score and they knew what our business does because they had all the documents. It sounded to me that those would be pretty much all they needed, but they weren't. I think the process was actually designed to scare most people away. It was about five weeks of insane demands for paperwork. If I could think of any other option, I would probably go with loan sharks or crowd-source funding rather than go through SmartBiz's process again.

I would recommend SmartBiz because it was the one we had luck with. But I would warn people in advance that it's gonna become a full time job for someone for a while to secure the funding. Maybe the problem was I didn't ask for enough but I don't know what would have made that experience go any faster. We're coming up on eight years in business. We produce an extremely expensive product and we've been profitable. My vendors will supply me with metalwork or different things that I need to the tunes of tens and thousands of dollars at that time. We had zero debt and I could show a positive income stream. However, I feel bad because I can't imagine that a brand new business would be able to secure any funding from SmartBiz. 99% of new businesses shouldn't even bother.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SmartBiz Loans?

Original review: May 3, 2019

Every day, I get five or ten calls and I know at least 100 lenders. I talk to them and no one has been as good as SmartBiz. They couldn't be better. Applying with them is super easy, simple and clean. I can apply online or in person and their reps are happy to help me either way. They have great communication. Every time I've worked with them they go the extra mile. If they think it's right and there's something that needs to be overcome, they're just gonna keep working it. Lending is a shady industry right now and SmartBiz's honesty impresses me. I also like their attention to detail, thoroughness and dedication to the account. They really listen and place me with the right lender, not wasting my time. They've changed my business dramatically at least two times.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I like how SmartBiz Loans' website was set up and it looked like they had a streamline process of obtaining and having people get the business loans. Applying and receiving financing from them was very easy. Everything ran smoothly. The rep at the initial call was very professional. And the rep who finalized the loan was super professional and very accessible at all times. So, that made the process a lot easier. Everything was good.

Original review: April 25, 2019

The first time that I spoke with SmartBiz, it was pretty clear that we could make something happen. This was versus the ambiguity of going through a big-time application process, only to find out that it's gonna work or that the company couldn’t do what I needed them to do. At SmartBiz, there was a lot of work to do and the application wasn't something that happened overnight. There were a lot of steps. Still, it was a very enlightening process. The debt that we were reconsolidating was stuff that we had tried to go with places that would finance something overnight. At those places, what we got was never like the kind of the terms that we got with SmartBiz.

My loan officer at SmartBiz, Matt, was extremely helpful and he answered all my questions. He called and emailed me back. I was never surprised by anything that he said he needed. If it weren't for him we probably would have given up and gone for a different option. Overall, SmartBiz has the needs and the follow-up. They all came together really well.

Original review: April 22, 2019

The rep SmartBiz assigned to me was very personable. Everybody was very knowledgeable and the feedback was tremendous. If I had a question, they came back with the right answer. I was looking for a business loan and they came through. They were very efficient and financing was a very seamless process. Everything went as planned and within the time that we discussed.

Original review: April 14, 2019

Working with SmartBiz helped me a lot. The loan application process was very fast and absolutely easy. If I got any problems filling out the forms, their people were always on top of it. Initially, I had Michelle, who contacted me, and then I was dealing with Mike. He was the underwriter and he did a great job doing all the paperwork.

Original review: April 9, 2019

I needed financing for business growth and MoneyMan got us set up with two different companies but SmartBiz Loans was most attentive and the easiest overall to deal with. They were the most willing to work with us for our needs. I applied for an SBA loan and there was a ton of paperwork and a ton of information that we had to give. It was a long, drawn out process and it was not as easy as I thought it would but SmartBiz helped us out.

It was a little awkward at first because I didn’t know a lot of what was going on but they really helped me as far as understanding what was going on. Then, I just got comfortable from there. They answered any question and they were there for us every step of the way. The process took about two months to complete but the loan drastically impacted my life. It has allowed us to do the things that we were hoping to do. It really opened up possibilities for growth for this year. It was a very big learning process but overall, my experience with SmartBiz was very good.

Original review: April 4, 2019

I took an SBA loan with SmartBiz Loans. I’ve been through an SBA process before where I had to do quite a bit of paperwork. But SmartBiz Loans' process seems to be quicker than most and has less paperwork involved, which made me go with them. Most of the application was done over the phone and they filled out any paperwork for me. They asked the questions, I answered them, and they filled out the application.

We ended up doing over the phone even the things that were requested to be in writing. It wasn’t a big, drawn-out process where I had to go dig in through all kinds of stuff and come up with a business plan, which made things a lot easier. Plus, uploading the required documents was easy to do. My interactions with their team were good. I was gonna be doing a remodel and we were trying to meet a certain deadline. They assured me that the time period to the loan thing done was quick. They were timely in getting things done. And my business was able to get the remodel done and we’re up and running.

Original review: March 28, 2019

I was seeking financing for my small business and it felt like the guy from SmartBiz Loans that handled our loan was working for me. Their guys are great and their customer service was second to none. The process of applying for and receiving my financing was a little difficult, but the guys made things clear and let us do the process. Working with SmartBiz Loans is definitely a positive experience and it has helped us grow.

Original review: March 15, 2019

SmartBiz helped us reduce our debt load and improve our cash flow. They had the easiest platform and they’re great to work with. The SBA loan application process was straightforward and uploading the required documents was very easy. The reps were very helpful and deeply knowledgeable too. I'm highly satisfied.

Original review: March 8, 2019

To refinance some debt and cash flow as well as have the ability expand my business, we got an SBA loan through SmartBiz. The application process was simple and quick for the type of loan we got. They offered me the best deal, interest, the terms, etc. and they helped strengthen and grow the business. I’d highly recommend them.

Original review: March 1, 2019

The process was easy but it was also difficult at the same time because it was my first time going through the experience of getting financing. But when I already knew what was coming, it was easy. The experience that I went through with SmartBiz was good and their reps were friendly. I recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

We took a loan from SmartBiz Loans for debt refinancing and working capital. The process of applying and receiving the financing was pretty easy. It was an SBA loan, which meant a lot of paperwork and a lot of uploading. But overall, it was okay. Plus, the interactions with their reps were good. I had a good experience and SmartBiz Loans was really helpful.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

With SmartBiz, we were able to improve our business’s cash flow because we were able to consolidate some debt. When I got a mailer from them, I saw the rate and the pre-approval code, and the amount that they were claiming that I was eligible for just made sense. The process was extensive, but that's not a reflection on SmartBiz. They were dealing with the SBA, so there was a lot of documentation. Since we’re a legitimate business, it wasn’t something that we couldn’t provide. But, the biggest challenge was me trying to get some information from some of the loans that I had outstanding as it was just difficult to get documentation from some of them. That was required by SmartBiz because they were collecting the data that's required of them to SBA. Other than that, uploading the documents was fine. In the end, it was worth the effort of pooling together all the information that SmartBiz needed.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

SmartBiz is a good solution for financing for a small business and they are doing great. I went with them because of the loan term and I did everything so I think it went well. The loan was a working capital and debt refinance and it allows me to keep the business and perform better financially. I went out to put that investment in a long term and I was able to do it. But depending on the case, you would have to prepare a lot of documents for that. If you wanna get a lot of money, you would have to work. The system for uploading the required documents was fine. But the underwriters asked for several things that you have to get done. So it was a long process. It took SmartBiz a month to get it done. But the service was perfect. They were very helpful.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2019

I received some emails and I had sent some responses back to a couple of different vendors to look into some capital financing, and SmartBiz was the one that I chose based on response. Their process was very easy and dealing with their reps has been excellent. The first one I received from them was working capital, but I converted that to them. They actually reached back out to me and said there may be some options available based on my experience with them, that I might be able to go in with something else. And so then, we did a refi of not only my working capital but a couple of other business loans I had. Working with SmartBiz has improved our cash flow. It is a good option as far as from conventional loans.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

Working with SmartBiz helped exponentially. Applying for and receiving my finance was moderately easy. I did it primarily online. SmartBiz had great communication and they expedited the process quickly.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2019

While I was Googling for SBA loans, I appreciated the simplicity and streamlining of SmartBiz Loans' process. They seemed to make it easy so I decided to give it a try. The web-based application was complex but it was still smoother than most other places I would’ve gone to so it was smooth enough for me. For what I was expecting, there was clear effort to make it smooth.

Once I started the application process, I was contacted by someone who focuses on people who were in the early stage in qualifying. He was very persistent, which ended up being helpful for me because I was not sure if I wanna do it or not. His job was clearly to stay on top of me until I either decide to not go through the process or complete it. There were few instances where I was having trouble with the interface and he helped me to keep things moving forward. Once I completed the qualification process, they got me over to the person who held my hands for the rest of the process. Working with SmartBiz has been really positive. I was able to complete the SBA process and got the funding that I needed.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

SmartBiz Loans was a referral from another loan vendor. We were looking for a bridge loan to get us to the point where we could expand our software services business and support multiple customers. I was given a contact and the contact at SmartBiz first asked us to fill out information using a software system. Then they went through an evaluation process looking at that information and then helped design the application materials so that they were within the proper specifications with the SBA. After that, they went through an internal approval process and we got the loan. It was actually a really good system and I was very impressed. Even my interactions with the team at SmartBiz were very pleasant. With the help of SmartBiz, we were able to take the business from the level that it was stuck at to where we’re now able to do a bunch of things that we wanted to do. It’s life-transforming and really fantastic.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I was seeking financing to extend our business and SmartBiz is the only company whose people are not crooks, so I went with them. All the other ones were weird and had 40% interest loan. SmartBiz, on the other hand, provides genuine SBA loans. They were very efficient and serious from the beginning, and the whole process was easy. They just required a lot of documentation which I had to provide but getting that documentation to them was relatively easy. The people at SmartBiz were very good, professional, punctual and on-the-ball. The financing was very much needed at the time it came through, so I felt very positive working with SmartBiz.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I received a letter from SmartBiz. I started a business here in Florida and I needed some capital to start moving on so I accepted their invitation and made the call. I wasn’t so confident about it because when you’re new, everybody always kinda shuts you down, but the application was quite easy. They asked me for the paperwork. The application took long, but I understand perfectly because the bank needs to be sure that everything is according to the plan that they make. And after that, it was quite easy. Halfway they asked for additional items, and I gave it to them. Almost a month after that, I was ready.

Jimmy of SmartBiz was amazing. He was always on time and always calling me. If I send an email, the reply was almost immediate by email or by calling me. With SmartBiz I got everything as I need it and at the time that I need it. Jimmy also offered me more money because I could be subject for an additional amount, but I just took what I needed. Jimmy and everybody at SmartBiz made it so easy.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

I needed some working capital and due to the experience with other franchisees, SmartBiz Loans looked like a better deal. The process of applying for and receiving my financing was a little lengthy but good. We were in contact with Horace at SmartBiz Loans daily and he was great. I liked his patience, courtesy, kindness, and professionalism. Working with SmartBiz Loans has affected me positively.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

When I was doing a Google search, SmartBiz Loans was one of those that came up and they had a quick app form. Michael from SmartBiz Loans called me and I told him that if this was one of those garbage loans, I'm not interested. Michael said that their loan is backed by SBA and gave me some more information. It sounded legit and I wanted him to tell me more, so we started talking. I realized that it wasn't one of the scam loans, and I was interested. We went and looked at it further, and he locked me through the whole process. He was amazing.

SmartBiz Loans put me in a lot better position to get things in the right direction for the restaurant. We've had a really slow mud season but SmartBiz Loans allowed me to get some people hired on, get them signed up, get the chefs in place, get some necessities that we needed, and combined some of the horrible loan interest that I had for the start-up cost of the business. Working with them saved the day.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I needed to get some money to keep my growing business well and to get things set up. I did some research online and I found out that there is an easy process that was all online based and it made it much more attractive to me. I got an SBA Backed Loan from SmartBiz Loans. They have a website that I went to. I signed up and provided information. They went through my credit and they got back to me with a pre-approval notice. And then, the process for submission of all documentations started. Uploading the required documents was very easy. Hunter, my point of contact was an amazing guy. He worked with me all the way through closing. I would tell others to go with SmartBiz Loans. They’re a great company.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Being a small company, trying to get a loan through a bank is nearly impossible. So, we decided to go online instead of wasting our time with banks. We landed on SmartBiz Loans right away and we got a 10-year loan from them. The process took some time though because we’re a business, so we had to go through the whole taxes of our business, of the owners, but it wasn’t that bad through SmartBiz. By the time we got assigned somebody, it was easy at that point. Things went smoothly and it was easy to upload and get the paperwork submitted. SmartBiz allowed us to consolidate debts and put us in a better financial spot. I'm very happy with my experience with them and I would recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I was online looking for a business cash advance. I was talking to a guy, told him what I wanted and he suggested to get up with SmartBiz Loans. When I spoke to them, they seemed confident that they could get a loan for me, so I applied for an SBA Loan. They sent me a form to fill out and the gentleman that I worked with was very courteous. He answered any questions that I had and made it simple. It took me a little while to come up with some documents but uploading them wasn’t hard at all. Working with this company relieved a lot of stress off of me and gave us the tools to hire a couple more people and get more equipment to work with. I’d absolutely recommend SmartBiz.

SmartBiz Loans expert review by Barbara Friedberg

SmartBiz is headquartered in San Francisco. The company was founded in 2008 to help businesses secure small business loans.

• SBA loans: SmartBiz structures their website and application process to simplify the process of applying for an SBA 7(a) guaranteed loan. The company works with SBA lenders to help small business owners find the best choice for their business. If a business does not qualify for an SBA 7(a) loan guarantee, SmartBiz can help the owner find another financing option.

• Quick pre-approval: Interested customers can fill out an online application to be pre-approved for a loan. This process takes less than five minutes and will not impact their credit score. They should note that the pre-approval and application processes are different.

• Time to funding: Business owners can receive funds as soon as one week after their application is approved. For many customers, the entire process, from applying to receiving funds, takes about two weeks.

• Success stories: SmartBiz’s website features the stories of their successful clients, so interested consumers can see how other business owners benefited from a loan.

• Blog: Regular posts on SmartBiz’s blog are useful and informative for all business owners. Topics include understanding a credit score, office decoration and insurance. They also post tips about small business loans, legal matters and hiring practices.

• Best for: SmartBiz caters to business owners interested in securing an SBA guaranteed loan between $30,000 and $350,000.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg