2. Finance
  3. Business Loans

2.7/5 (110 ratings)

About SmartBiz Loans

SmartBiz Loans is the #1 online marketplace for SBA loans, providing the right loan at the right time for your small business. SBA loans from SmartBiz marketplace banks can be used for debt refinance, working capital, and commercial real estate purchases or refinance. About 90% of the applications referred to SmartBiz marketplace banks are approved. With low-rates, long terms, and very low monthly payments, SBA loans are known as the “gold standard” and help businesses across America expand and save money.

SmartBiz Loans Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SmartBiz Loans?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about SmartBiz Loans?

Original review: July 9, 2021

Everything was via email and it changed. There were two to three different individuals that I've been in communication with in the time period. At one point, it became a little frustrating because they asked me to send some documents and I did that. Then they said that I didn't send all and I told them I sent the exact thing that they requested. They reviewed it and then they never came back and say anything other than, "You've improved," and moved on to the final stages. This was all within the past month.

Then they told me earlier in June that my application was incomplete and I sent the wrong set of payroll documents. I told them that I sent everything. They said that I sent the first and second quarter for 2002, and then something that's for 2019. They told me to send the full year for both years. But they only wanted the first quarter and I sent them more than the information. I sent those to show comparison of the first two quarters of 2020 and 2019. Then, they came back and said, "Approved," and moved on. They never acknowledged the error so I thought that was a little odd. Nonetheless, the loan funding helped us maintain staff because it's been a trying year. We were in the hole and were looking to have to furlough an employee or two. It came in right in time when we were having to make the tough budgetary decision.

Get buying tips about Business Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 26, 2021

I applied near the end of May for a 2nd round PPP loan. I would have used my bank, Prosperity, but the SBA was already declining loans by them. It seemed SmartBiz Loans was one of the few places left that was still taking applications and still had the ability to get 2nd round PPP loans approved by the SBA. As a result of this, I think, they were swamped way beyond their expectations and had trouble even coming close to keeping up with email, much less phone calls, etc.

It only took 3 days for my loan to get approved and receive an SBA #, but then the real waiting started. My loan was "in funding" for about 4 weeks. That's unusual for a loan these days, but it makes sense given SmartBiz Loans being swamped. They answered my emails each time I emailed, but it took a few days for them to respond most times. There was a problem with my loan funding name information, and it took and extra 10 days to fix it. The funds did, finally, arrive in my bank account. SmartBiz Loans, although slow, was courteous each time I contacted them despite being swamped. From what they must have learned from this massive PPP loan process, I suspect they will be one of the fastest loan sources around once the PPP madness is over. And it remains to be seen how helpful they will be during the loan forgiveness process.

Original review: May 13, 2021

I was Googling trusted companies to apply for a PPP loan through. SmartBiz was at the top of everyone else. They have great reviews. They have real people reviews. It really mattered because you put personal information out there, and it's hard to ask for help. I feel like I could trust a company to have my personal information and that they would understand.

I was a gig worker for so long and really fell on hard times due to the pandemic. I'm trying my best to get back to what some sort of normal would be. Being a gig worker, you keep everything because of taxes and all that, which is so fun at the end of the year. SmartBiz has an easy and fast process. I received a response pretty quickly that I was approved for that PPP loan. The funds were in my bank within a week from the time I applied. So, it was great.

The only thing is I applied for a second draw. I applied on April 22nd but I haven't gotten any response. I get the same automated email saying that they're still reviewing my application. I'm sure everything's really busy so no one is available to answer a call. When I call, no one gets back to me. That's the only downside. I would like to know the status of my second application.

Original review: April 11, 2021

I went online and I subscribed to SmartBiz, and I get emails, news and updates from them. Their signup process is much easier. It was faster, too. In the beginning, I kept getting declined and I didn't know what to do with all that government site but when I reached out to SmartBiz, they sent me an email and showed me exactly how to do it. It was really easy. I got a little grant of 1,000 and then I did a PPP because I have a quilting-sewing business and a craft. I started out three years ago and then in ‘19, I was starting to take off. I had to push it hard because I got closed in. I couldn't leave my home. I had to travel 1,000 miles to sell my quilts. So, I lost a lot of money in 2019.

Since working with SmartBiz, I can now buy more supplies to replenish my inventory. I'm starting out again to start making more product to sell, to replenish my product and then buy my Quilture that I was trying to do last year. A Quilture is thousands of dollars. SmartBiz really helped me a lot, and now I got a little pay check with the 3000 from the PPP loan.

You should subscribe to SmartBiz, read up on their site and contact them if you’re having any trouble. They will surely help you. It's a fantastic group of people. It's a good company for small businesses, and it will make you feel more comfortable even during the worst times. Through the pandemic, it’s helping small businesses build and to be successful, and helps guide them properly. They have been so awesome.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2021

We pursued an SBA loan for an existing business and Kapitus, the broker, referred us to SmartBiz, their preferred lender. The process wasn't easy because it was for the SBA loan so there was very complex and comprehensive information that had been requested. But with their platform, everything was all online. The only thing that mattered was me trying to find that information in our business and uploading. The actual uploading part and answering the questions on the platform was very easy.

After the initial application, a loan officer was assigned, and there was also an underwriter behind him. I mostly spoke with the loan officer and he was very professional. There were a series of exchanges between him and me because of the process and went into very details. Every time I responded to his questions, he would come back to me very fast, sometimes in the same day, and go in deeper until his question is crystal clearly clarified.

SmartBiz provided the SBA loan for us and it definitely changed our business. With additional funding, I was able to consolidate the short-term loans, so the business is much healthier. They're one of the best lenders I have ever dealt with. From the date that I applied until the day we actually got the funding, it was within 30 days.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

Their process was easy and very self-explanatory. I had a good experience working with them.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2021

The loan process was pretty quick. We did everything online.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

SmartBiz was more prevalent than the others, and I saw them in more than one place. Their process was relatively simple. I just applied and was getting emails consistently at every stage. I was thankful that I got the final follow-up as far as my loan forgiveness. I'm glad everything that was advertised went through.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2021

I needed to make an application for the PPP loan and it was getting very difficult through my bank. I decided to Google to see if there are any other establishment handling that. So, it was the PPP loan application that got me into SmartBiz Loans. Their process was streamlined and everything was online, which I really liked. I had a great experience with them. I filled out my form and followed the instructions. They seemed very straightforward and I was very impressed. SmartBiz did a marvelous job. I couldn't do that through my bank, which is Wells Fargo. I thought their system was very simple. It made life very easy. Everything from filling out the application, uploading the form and the follow-up was straightforward. I love the experience I had with your place.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I like their explanation and the way that they explained in detail the way that their loan process worked and the application process. The application process went smoothly. I also like the promptness. The loan went through fairly quickly. They were very easy to work with. My experience with SmartBiz Loans was excellent.

SmartBiz Loans author review by Barbara Friedberg

SmartBiz is headquartered in San Francisco. The company was founded in 2008 to help businesses secure small business loans.

• SBA loans: SmartBiz structures their website and application process to simplify the process of applying for an SBA 7(a) guaranteed loan. The company works with SBA lenders to help small business owners find the best choice for their business. If a business does not qualify for an SBA 7(a) loan guarantee, SmartBiz can help the owner find another financing option.

• Quick pre-approval: Interested customers can fill out an online application to be pre-approved for a loan. This process takes less than five minutes and will not impact their credit score. They should note that the pre-approval and application processes are different.

• Time to funding: Business owners can receive funds as soon as one week after their application is approved. For many customers, the entire process, from applying to receiving funds, takes about two weeks.

• Success stories: SmartBiz’s website features the stories of their successful clients, so interested consumers can see how other business owners benefited from a loan.

• Blog: Regular posts on SmartBiz’s blog are useful and informative for all business owners. Topics include understanding a credit score, office decoration and insurance. They also post tips about small business loans, legal matters and hiring practices.

by Barbara Friedberg Personal Finance Contributing Editor