Call toll free
  • 1 star
Based on 39 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Call toll free

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

Founded in 2009, SmartBiz Loans provides SBA Loans through a quick and easy three step process. The first step is to prequalify using the secure software. Once you are prequalified, you will work with a SmartBiz Relationship Manager to plan the use of your funds and provide financial information. After confirming your business’ financials, funds can be imported into your account in as little as 7 days after your completed application.

The SmartBiz platform was created to reduce high cost APRs for small businesses making it easier for those businesses to receive loans. The SmartBiz team is committed to providing quality customer service.

A+BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 15, 2018

52 SmartBiz Loans Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I had a friend in New York who's a broker and knew that I'd took out some merchant cash advance that had gotten me into a really deep trouble financially and she suggested trying for an SBA loan through SmartBiz. I thought that was pretty unlikely and I heard that SBA wasn't making loans people even slightly associated with oil and gas. I was skeptical. We worked on it for almost four months but it got done. SmartBiz was really good. I was paying for $65,000 a month in fees in total payments and this just ended it. It wasn’t that much money but it was a tremendous, almost every dollar that I borrowed from, I owed twice and it just kept going every day. I was going to go bankrupt.

SmartBiz changed my whole life. It got a spec to where I can open this day up feeling like there's hope. I was beginning to not like waking up in the morning. The rep, Huy, was really good and then everybody else was really good too, but Huy especially. I really liked talking to him. He had walked for a couple of other companies before and he and I got to know each other a little bit, but he really kept at it.

Huy was the guy who was referred to me and then he had a guy named Kevin, who was his supervisor. I heard from Kevin only when Huy got sick and Kevin asked me to take care of a couple of UC3s that had popped up over the years. Then, the young lady in town was also pretty good too. Later on, I found out that every series of questions was a test to weed up people. It was interesting because it was a big deal to answer those questions that the people didn’t like answering but it seemed to me like kind of a normal stuff but it was very interesting. It was hard to do.

The process took about four months. It was the first day of the year of January, the second full business day. During the process, there were a lot of disclosure. You had to let them know what you're doing, how you got there. I've got text records going back to 1993. They were looking pretty far back in time to see what kind of history you had and it was a pretty thorough investigation.

Since working with SmartBiz, life is good again. I've been on a downhill current for almost two and a half years. It started out with a bone infection and IRS finding that one against me and then it just descended into MCA until I got things together. It's only about a year ago I realized that I wanted to get it together. I needed a real loan and I've got plenty of assets but it was hard for somebody who would loan on those, but they did. They didn’t even use hardly any of assets. They just use the building here where our office is in and that was about it. Everybody else was wanting to take my home and everything else for very little. SmartBiz was pretty exceptional.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 8, 2018

We were in need of financing to extend our business and SmartBiz was willing to work with us in a decent amount of time. I've talked to a gentleman named Philip and he was pretty awesome in his ability in helping us. He worked with me all the way through it and I feel that he was very knowledgeable. SmartBiz has helped us out greatly and I would recommend them.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2017

SmartBitz had good interest rates and they made it sound simple to apply. But the application was more difficult than I expected. I had to jump through quite a lot of hoops just getting paperwork and documentation together. I got frustrated at a couple of points and almost pulled the plug on it and didn't move forward because it was taking so much time out of my day. But the people I've worked with were great. They were very helpful and patient with me. Overall, I would recommend SmartBitz.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2017

We made an extension and had a lot of merchant loans that I wanted to consolidate. I was referred to SmartBiz and received a working capital from them. I had a fine dealing with their people and everybody was respectful. They're on it and they would notify us right away when we needed something so everything went well.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I loaned a working capital from SmartBiz Loans as advised by my broker and everything was very easy. They sent me all the information and I signed them and sent them back to them through a portal. Also, the customer service rep whom I dealt with was great.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about SmartBiz Loans?

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

I was looking into growing my business and going to a larger facility. I started researching on the 10 best merchant lenders and SmartBiz Loans was listed as one of the best ones to get temporary loans through. I touched base with them and I knew immediately that they were the real deal compared to other companies that I was talking with that I got frustrated with when I was in the process of attempting to work something out with them. So, I just responded to SmartBiz through their website and within five minutes, I was contacted by my manager for SmartBiz.

Drew spent half an hour on the phone with me asking about my business and what the funds are going to be used for because I was looking for a $70,000 line of credit and he explained the different programs available. He said. “We can do this and you’ll get it quicker or we can go get an SBA alone at about 20 percentage points cheaper than some of the other merchant lenders were offering. But it takes longer and there’s more paperwork.” So, I said, “Well, let’s do that.” During the first conversation I had with him I knew that these guys weren’t out to scam anybody. He gave me the whole breakdown, what needs to be done and easy to follow steps. He helped me prepare the documents and get everything done. It took a few weeks to get it all done. Then, when it was all done, he got me a lower interest rate and he approved me for a $150,000 line as opposed to a $70,000. It was absolutely fantastic.

He was very diligent about following up without being obnoxious. Once I got the package done, they took it to their lenders and they found us a lender in Celtic Bank who did the SBA alone. I went directly to the SBA and started the debt process and I just got intimidated and confused. Drew took me through the whole thing that you have to do on the SBA and he was instrumental in making sure that things build out correctly the first time and answered any questions we had. If there were some documents that had to be prepared, he helped us prepare them and made sure everything was done correctly.

Uploading my documents was simple. I just clicked on the little icon there and it took me right to my files. The things were uploaded instantaneously and there was no difficulty with that at all. The whole form that we had filled out with them couldn’t have been easier because it was all broken down into little easy to follow stages. When a very complicated process is broken down into 13 or 14 stages, one or two can be done each day without completely disrupting the workday.

I went through there and there’s a little progress bar that goes along the bottom to show you how far along you are in the process. It says, "Download profit and loss statement here." You just click on it and you go right to your files. Click on profit and loss and the document is populated there. Then, the closing of the contract was all done with DocuSign so even the closing was really easy. You just flip through the DocuSign document, sign where required, and then the money was in the bank within two days.

SmartBiz Loans helped my life out by reducing the stress. Because in the construction business that I’m in, you have a lot of ebbs and flows where when you start in big commercial projects, you have a lot of money going out. Then you’re waiting a long time for it to come in which causes a lot of sleepless nights. So, the loan alleviated the stress and gave me some cushion to allow me to accept larger projects and even additional projects that I would have to turn down until I got some of the receivables in.

Since I’ve done the loan and it’s been less than a month since I closed on it, I’ve already increased my revenue for the next quarter by almost a half million dollars just because I’m able to accept more projects and larger projects than I would have been able to had I not gotten the loan. So, it definitely had a positive effect on the business and I’m sleeping a lot better at night. I’m definitely going to use them again when I grow my business again.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I got a working capital with SmartBiz for my business expansion. The application process was a pain, it's the usual suffering unjustly. They wanted everything, including my blood pressure and the body temperature. But I don’t fault SmartBiz for that. They’re following the rules. They were also polite and patient during the process. Their team was exceptional. The only thing would be reduction in paperwork though I don’t know if they have any control over that. They’re looking for tax returns, TNL, cash loan statement, etc. By the time I was done, I got a folder that’s six inches thick. I went through the same thing with mortgages. And I can’t fault the bank, it’s what they have to do because of all the government regulations. But as far as SmartBiz being helpful, the continuous follow-up and things like that, they were great. SmartBiz is where you want to go if you’re looking for a small business loan.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

I took on some high-interest rate loans, wanted to refinance and heard about SmartBiz through Abe from Radix Financial. I was interested in SBA financing and the process through Abe and eventually, through SmartBiz, was quick and easy. First, I got tax returns, some P&Ls, and some other financial statements over to Abe and I was told we would qualify. They submitted most of the documents on my behalf. Further down the process, SmartBiz gave me the log-in and I was able to, step-by-step, upload the documents they needed.

Marcello from SmartBiz would call me on my cellphone when he had a few questions to figure out. He was good and easy to deal with. He also knew the answers to the questions I asked him. The hardest part was getting all the documents. I knew that there was going to be a lot of documents for an SBA loan and most traditional financing do, but it took three weeks to get funded wherein majority was for debt refinancing and then, there was a bit of working capital. It was nice to refinance the high-interest rate loans and have peace of mind.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

I received a combination of working capital and special loan from SmartBiz Loans for business expansion. Their customer service was good and the person that I worked with, a gentleman they called Nick, was very nice. He was well-trained and highly customer service oriented. He helped me from the beginning all the way to the end and made the process really easy for me. And if I had a lot of questions, he was willing to answer them right away. So, I'm very happy with his full attention. The total process took approximately four weeks and it was a lot easier than I anticipated. They gave me the funds that I needed to expand my business and at the same time continue my business as it is. So they definitely helped me keep up with the help to build a better business in the near future. I would recommend SmartBiz to anybody who's looking for a business loan at a very short and easy process.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

I had gone to a local credit union to see if they would sponsor me for the SBA loan. I figured I would do that because then I wouldn’t have to pay SmartBiz their fee but that didn’t work out. A broker company that I had worked with contacted me and then we started to work on the SmartBiz loan. They have a much broader reach in terms of what banks they go to.

Nicholas did a great job, walked me through each step, and checked in on me on a daily basis. If there was something that they wanted, a different I dotted or T crossed, he would get back to me to say how to do it and what had to be adjusted. He was on top of things and attentive to everything in guiding where I needed to go. I even had to get some things put into place like insurance and he was helpful with all of it. There was somebody holding my hands through the process. The loan was a big help in terms of being able to move forward and to be freed from the financial restraints that I was under before. I had some projects I wanted to do that I can now get going.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

We got a small business loan with SmartBiz so that we can grow our company and take on a few more projects and hire some people. We found SmartBiz online and their process seemed to be easy and user-friendly. My first contact with them was responsive so I went ahead and pursued it. They asked for a ton of information, which we supplied, and each step along the way, they asked us if there were any additional things that we could provide. I provided them everything they needed and met their requirements. They went to an underwriting process and sent us back an email and said we were good.

We worked with a guy named Drew. I've done banking for years and Drew was very responsive, more than most of the other people. He returned my calls, sent me emails and kept me updated. I had some concerns because it was over the internet but those concerns went away. Drew was very communicative and it worked out well. We started the process a couple of months ago, and we got funded about a month ago. It was quick. Working with SmartBiz has helped us. We got the money working for us.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2017

My short-term interest was pretty high and I wanted to reduce it. SmartBiz Loans presented themselves very well and so I got an SBA loan from them. It’s like a normal banking loan where I have to provide enough materials and proof. The rep, Mike, was very helpful and the process took about two to four weeks. They’re very patient and directed me how to do everything correctly. With the interest relief, it made my life more stress-free and it made my business more viable. SmartBiz Loans is a very good company and they know what they’re doing.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

We were expanding into a new line of business and wanted to consolidate some stuff. Spreadex Financial referred SmartBiz Loans, and they made it really easy, even if I had to get some stuff. Alex was constantly in contact with me and walked me through every step of the process. He helped me get the right stuff and made sure we had what we needed before we submitted everything so that there weren't a lot of things going back and forth. The process took three weeks. There was a little bit of time at the beginning when I was dragging my feet in getting documents ready. They are easy to deal with and very thorough on their end. I recommend them to anybody who's looking to expand or looking to consolidate any financing.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I used a couple of financial providers and SmartBiz’s product was offering an interest rate and a program that was a good fit for my business. So, I got an SBA program loan through a bank guaranteed by Small Business Administration for our tax quote issues. They provided the capital we needed to manage our seasonal calendar.

They got a web vehicle for a person who's wired for fill in the blanks from very complicated tax returns to all accounts and it monitored the progress all the way through. I went through it and it was fine, but I got stuck. I had a meltdown over the fact that my account structured the information differently so I just quit. About three days later, I got a phone call from their rep who was assigned to the project because I had gone far enough in the process clearly to give them my contact information. She was the only person I ever dealt with all the way through. She let me send her all of my data and she plugged it in. Then all of a sudden, I was back with their online process about three-quarters of the way. I could see the progress and it was phenomenal. She also emailed me and told me what's next, some of them I could anticipate and some I could not. It was an accommodating experience.

I went through another organization that worked very similarly. They were not professional and as a result, there were surprises along the way. The loan amount at the end of the process was half of what I applied for and I never was notified that we were working on a lower amount. But with SmartBiz, their system based-business was cool. They did a volume business and they tried and bought me stuff. The other bank down the street was not even connected with a process that made this possible. However, the federal government regulates how much can be charged on these loans and SmartBiz charges every penny of that, so it winds up being a very expensive process. But it was not as expensive as some of the less conventional things. And it was really a great experience overall.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I have a business that I wanted to invest more money into. I researched on financing providers, read around on it and SmartBiz Loans has the best term, best rates and the best turn around time. I ended up with an SBA loan with them. I did the application process online which was simple. They approved that and I gave the documents that were requested. It took two weeks to get everything organized and another week and a half to finish everything up. However, it was a little difficult to upload the required documents. I sent some documents manually and there were a couple of times it didn't work correctly, but we got it worked out.

I dealt with Philip and he was very helpful. He was sometimes hard to get a hold of because of his workload. But overall, he did a great job and worked out fine. Their fees were a little high but with the amount of money I got, it was well worth it to me. Now, I got funds to run my business and bought some more equipment. I would recommend SmartBiz Loans to others. It was a quick and easy experience with them and I got good results.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I was looking to franchise and I was told that SmartBiz was familiar with it and things would go quickly. I applied online and then someone called me. They let me know what information they needed through emails and I sent all of those back. The gentleman I talked to always returned calls right away. He referred me over to Celtic Bank and there was a bit of paperwork and stuff I had to send to them. However, I thought the loan was going to be an auto-pay where they would do an auto-draft for my monthly payments but I got a bill in the mail. Despite that, everything was fine. They were courteous, smart, respectful, knowledgeable and quick on their feet.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I needed to make some improvement and get more publicity on my company. I had some people tell me about SmartBiz and a person helped me and organized everything with me. He was good and the process was so fast. SmartBiz helps and they're a good company.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

For one of my businesses, I used to get merchant loans and a person from Connecticut brought up SmartBiz Loans to me. I was going to pay off some debt because I had some high rated debts and also increase the business. SmartBiz was straightforward and everything was automated. It was easy for someone like me who isn't a mortgage broker. I only spoke with one person and I usually sent him an email and he responded quickly. The process was closed within 10 days and I had the money wired to my wife's account. Life has been a lot better since then. I was paying almost 30% in interest rates and now I'm paying 7%. I'm saving a lot of money and got more capital. I got less than what I wanted but I understand why. I had a great experience and I want to thank SmartBiz.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I needed a small business loan to grow my business. SmartBiz was the most customer-friendly and they seemed to know what they were doing. When I talked to them, they asked me for paperwork and I gave them everything they asked for. It was easy uploading the required documents online and their rep, Connor, took care of me and cared about trying to get me a loan. Also, everybody was friendly, professional and conscientious. Working with SmartBiz allowed me to get more equipment and some advertising, and my business has gotten a lot busier and I'm on the verge of moving to a bigger place.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

We were looking at expanding a business and the agent who contacted me had put it out to a few companies. SmartBiz came back with the right numbers, and they were great to work with. They were thorough, detailed, quick and did a great job. We were able to supply them everything they needed and they worked through it all to get it done. Their contact person was fantastic. Other than having to come up with an amazing number of required documents, the whole process was great and quicker than I anticipated. We received a 10-year SBA loan from SmartBiz. With the way it has worked out, it affected our business in a positive way. It took on the need for me to personally continue financing and it has opened up some avenues of advertising that we wanted and gave us some extra money to do it. It was an excellent and professional experience and I would definitely go to them again. I recommended them to a friend, too.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I was drawn to SmartBiz Loans' method of filling out everything and tracking the progress online, so I gave it a shot and went with them. The application process was easy and straightforward. In their website, I followed the prompt, filled all information, and uploaded my documents as I got on. Hunter, my account rep, helped me through and made sure I got all the right documents. He was great and very responsive to questions, too. I had a very smooth process and a good experience, which I don’t always have with other people. The whole process was quick as well. It took me a couple of days to fill out the application and gather all the stuff I needed, while the closing part was at least a few weeks. With SmartBiz Loans, I got the financing to make some needed improvements and for things to grow. It’s definitely nice to be able to do that.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

SmartBiz has a very easy process and the rep, Justin, is amazing. His professionalism and follow-ups impressed me. SmartBiz has given me the opportunity to take things to the next level and compete with my larger competitors. They are awesome.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I opened a new location for my brick and mortar business thus I needed financing. I read pretty good reviews about SmartBiz and their interest rates are also good so I decided to get my business loan from them. The process was a little bit of work, but we got it done in about a month. The guy helping me was really good, he was easy to understand and deal with. Working with SmartBiz helped me out a lot and I appreciate the good rate they gave me.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

I'm expanding my business, hiring employees, and I needed some working capital. SmartBiz Loans was easy to work with. They made their online process pretty easy to get information back and forth. The initial setup thing where you go through and answer some questions was pretty easy, too. Their rep, Hunter, was really good. He always emailed promptly, showed me how to get things done. He was available to walk me through whatever he needed. He called a lot to just follow up and see if I needed help with things. He was on top of things.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

My employer, Troy, needed to get a new truck in and pay off other loans with much more higher interest rates. He had been looking into funding and had received some information from different people that promised him a lot of things. He spent a lot of time with them and everything consistently fell through. SmartBiz Loans reached out to him and did a great job for him. He was very impressed with their dealings. They asked him for specific information that he was able to provide, and the whole thing went very smooth. SmartBiz did a great thing for us, and Troy was very pleased with them.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I put SmartBiz Loans against two other finance companies that I was talking to in the beginning and they were quick to respond to my questions. When I emailed or phoned, my call was always answered and my emails were always responded to. I chose them because of their customer service. They gave me true and honest answers to my questions and I felt very comfortable in dealing with the rep that I was given. I dealt only with one person and I didn't have to go around with anybody else or figure out who else to talk to.

On the other hand, their process had been medium in difficulty. We had to open up our books to them but I felt comfortable in doing that after doing some investigation on them. We had to gather a lot of documents, which was time-consuming, but they were very helpful in making sure that we were getting the right documents to them and not giving them things that they didn't need. In addition, I had heard from my local bank that the process could take up to four, five months for the SBA loan. I had also heard from other people that I knew who had gotten an SBA loan that it took three to four months. So, I was quite surprised that it only took between 60 and 70 days for the entire process to complete. Since getting the financing that we needed, we were able to purchase two new vehicles and we've done our expansion. The business has been fantastic and we're ready to hire more employees. It was a really good experience. When the time comes to do it again, they will be my first phone call.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

We've got a growing company, and we needed financing. I saw SmartBiz Loans on the internet and it is much easier to deal with than normal banks. They got into your nuts and bolts of everything. The application process was easy but it took a little bit of time. We had to make sure that all the I’s were dotted and the T’s were crossed and we made sure that we had all our documentation in line. I liked the gentleman I dealt with out of New Orleans, his assistant and the SmartBiz people out of San Francisco. I got very good service. The team gets back to you, responsive on everything you ask for and they give their opinion, not just read a script which is what's so tough these days.

The process took six months from when we first started talking to them. I had a credit score that was a tad low just because of the way they rate things. I brought it up, and that was the little bit of holdup. I was on the cusp and I just did a few things that would help. I did it, and we're all set. SmartBiz has given us the ability to go ahead with a lot of the projects that we had planned on doing. Compared to 10 jobs in the pipeline, we now have over 80 possible jobs. It also made us put all the marketing ideas and marketing procedures in place. It's going extremely well with that. It's giving us a little bit of buffer that we didn’t have before.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I had a short-term loan which SmartBiz was originally offering. I told them that I was looking for an SBA loan and they said they also did that. Although there was a lot of paperwork and we had a problem getting my documents from the insurance company, it wasn't that horrible. Everything was very easy with them and they communicated extremely well. SmartBiz allowed me to expand.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

SmartBiz Loans is a great company to get your capital loan from. I've done two SBA loans from them. I have been in the process with some other companies, but then they were taking too long. SmartBiz, on the other hand, worked on it right away and I felt pretty comfortable working with them. Michael, my contact guy, was the one who did everything from the application to following up with the underwriter. The process wasn’t too difficult. Just like any other institution, they wanted my bank statements, tax returns, PNL, balance sheet, etc. Doing the application online and then doing e-Consent and electronic filing was pretty easy.

The first time I applied for financing with them took four weeks. It was the first time I had applied for a loan, so I didn’t know what to expect at that time. I have went through a couple of other companies that were able to do that a lot faster (Kabbage and Fundbox). But, I was not able to get as much. SmartBiz gave me the working capital that I needed to succeed in the business, and I'm doing really well. Now, I got a second loan with them and it's been great. There are no hidden fees or hidden costs. They show what they're going to offer.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I liked the idea of doing an SBA in a 10-year term and I went with SmartBiz Loans. There was a lot of paperwork but Brad, the rep who I worked with was excellent and was able to get everything done pretty quickly. He was very responsive and if I ever had an issue, I would simply send him an email and I'd get an immediate response. You don't find that nowadays. In addition, it was mostly done over the internet which was nice because I can work on it after hours. I was closed within three weeks, so their entire process was easy.

SmartBiz Loans expert review by Barbara Friedberg

SmartBiz is headquartered in San Francisco. The company was founded in 2008 to help businesses secure small business loans.

• SBA loans: SmartBiz structures their website and application process to simplify the process of applying for an SBA 7(a) guaranteed loan. The company works with SBA lenders to help small business owners find the best choice for their business. If a business does not qualify for an SBA 7(a) loan guarantee, SmartBiz can help the owner find another financing option.

• Quick pre-approval: Interested customers can fill out an online application to be pre-approved for a loan. This process takes less than five minutes and will not impact their credit score. They should note that the pre-approval and application processes are different.

• Time to funding: Business owners can receive funds as soon as one week after their application is approved. For many customers, the entire process, from applying to receiving funds, takes about two weeks.

• Success stories: SmartBiz’s website features the stories of their successful clients, so interested consumers can see how other business owners benefited from a loan.

• Blog: Regular posts on SmartBiz’s blog are useful and informative for all business owners. Topics include understanding a credit score, office decoration and insurance. They also post tips about small business loans, legal matters and hiring practices.

• Best for: SmartBiz caters to business owners interested in securing an SBA guaranteed loan between $30,000 and $350,000.

Profile picture of Barbara Friedberg

www.smartbizloans.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use