Avenel, NJ

4.0/5 (33 ratings)
Find a Car Dealerships partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Richard Lucas Chevrolet

Richard Lucas Chevrolet delivers the highest quality new and used Chevrolet cars, trucks, and SUVs. Along with their amazing inventory, they are dedicated to making sure you are 100% satisfied with the service you receive. They serve nearby Avenel, Edison, and Woodbridge drivers.

Call today to find out how Richard Lucas Chevy does it better!

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Richard Lucas Chevrolet Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Richard Lucas Chevrolet?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Richard Lucas Chevrolet?

Original review: June 10, 2016

Very professional and helpful.

Original review: June 7, 2016

I was looking for the 2015 Impala so I decided to visit Richard Lucas Chevrolet. The salesman Rocco was very friendly, funny, and took the time to go over my financing options. He is a seasoned salesman and I would recommend any of my friends and family to him.

Original review: May 26, 2016

Rocky was very professional and friendly. Getting a new car is a big decision but he made the whole process seamless and exciting, confirming that Chevy is the way to go.

Original review: May 25, 2016

The entire buying experience was simple and stress-free. Rocky was a true professional, knowledgeable and courteous. Mike in finance was very accurate and precise in all of the explaining of the contract. John ** & George ** was also extremely helpful in getting us the new truck and making us feel very welcomed and comfortable. Richard Lucas Chevrolet is an all around great team, friendly and professional service. Would highly recommend.

Original review: May 23, 2016

I was very happy the whole sales purchase from start to finish. I was happy with the finance manager as well. I would absolutely recommend Richard Lucas to my friends and family. It was a pleasant experience. Thank you guys. I love my new car.

Original review: May 22, 2016

Ryan was very professional and very knowledgeable of all the vehicles specification. He answered every question we had without being too pushy. My wife and I were very impressed with all the staff at the dealership. Everyone treated us with respect and made us feel comfortable throughout the purchase process. The only recommendation if I may suggest is to have more vehicle selections in the lot.

Original review: May 22, 2016

I have been going to Richard Lucas for over 25 years, they are like family when I go there. Very friendly, not pushy. Very, very helpful, understanding for my needs. My salesman Roco ** in my book is very knowledgeable, knows his cars, and is very friendly.

Original review: May 19, 2016

The process was fluid from greet to close with the salesman staging the process through each step. Pricing was fair, competitive and upfront from the beginning.

Original review: May 14, 2016

Anthony ** and Martin made my experience at Lucas Chevrolet so incredible, they were both extremely helpful and professional and made the whole car buying experience so easy. Highly recommended and will definitely be back again to get my next car! Thank you again!!!

Original review: May 12, 2016

Second time car buyer within 2 year period. Dave ** and Jason ** painlessly worked with me to get the best possible deal for my needs during both my visits. Dave is very friendly and knowledgeable sales associate. He kept me informed throughout the whole process (ordering the vehicle through delivery) without me having to ask for an update. I also always get my Subaru serviced with them. The service department does an amazing job and their prices are very reasonable. What better people to work on your car than people who drive them! I highly recommend Richard Lucas Subaru/Chevy. Ask for Dave!! You won't regret it.

Original review: May 11, 2016

We came in to trade our old Crosstrek for a newer model, and we had no issues at all and they were very accommodating with our requests and concerns. Cameron was very helpful and explained everything to our satisfaction. Would definitely shop here again.

Original review: May 11, 2016

Terrific purchasing experience!!! Mr. Cameron ** and the entire team were the best.

Original review: May 10, 2016

The salesman Syed ** was very knowledgeable and professional. He got us a great deal. I'm definitely going to be a returning customer for future purchases and will highly recommend him and the dealership to family and friends.

Original review: May 1, 2016

I tried calling another dealership initially, but was treated very poorly, so I tried Richard Lucas. My salesman was Hatem and the day that I went was his first day on the floor. I felt that he did a good job at explaining the different features of the vehicles I was interested in. General Manager Marty and another salesman Michael also helped me that day and were both really friendly. No one was pushy like you'd expect at a dealership and they were all honest and upfront about pricing, etc. I had a pleasant experience as a 21 year old first-time buyer! I ended up leasing a 2016 Chevy Cruze Limited! I recommend this place, for sure! Overall satisfied with the service I received.

Original review: April 14, 2016

Service and sales people are very welcoming and well experienced in their fields. I feel at home with them. Excellent work place.

Original review: April 14, 2016

I had a great experience at Richard Lucas. Marty and Syed got me a great deal on a brand new car.

No response received
Original review: Sept. 15, 2015

Can't begin to explain what a bad experience this was. Not going to go through the list of issues of which there were many except to say lying and tough guy mentality were displayed throughout. I was astounded on how they handled some of the issues towards a customer. Guess they don't really care after you leave the door.

Resolved outside ConsumerAffairs
Original review: July 14, 2015

Scheduled an appointment online and asked to be contacted by phone instead of e-mail. Received an e-mail instead of phone call telling me that I would be contacted about appointment. Didn't happen. Had to call dealer at which time I was told service request wasn't received (had to because I received an e-mail). Consequently scheduled by my phone call. Don't know why online scheduling is offered if there is no follow-up.

Original review: May 26, 2015

I called the dealership today and was greeted by a very angry person. I decided to stop by anyway. I entered the lobby expecting to be greeted by one or two salespeople. Except they were all outside talking and smoking. I stood there in the middle of the lobby and a salesperson walked by me and continued to walk away. He then returned but refused to offer any assistance. There was another salesperson who stood watching me and eventually approached me. He then offered to get someone else to help me because he was in the middle of a sale. He approached the men who were outside and they all shook their head no and someone said, "No way!" The next person he asked to help me came out of the office and told me they were closed. If so, then why was the entrance door unlocked? This has been the worst car shopping experience I've had. I will never recommend this dealership to anyone.

Original review: March 7, 2015

Buyer beware!!! They are a bunch of rip offs!!! Richard Lucas, the owner should not be allowed to represent Chevrolet. He is a ruthless con artist!!!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2015

They tried to charge me more $ on loan than it should have cost, only after I pressed them for amortized printout of loan did the number become correct. Also I paid extra for nav/entertainment system, they put in an aftermarket entertainment system that never worked properly. I waited w/o vehicle for 10 days while they installed it, then I brought back 4 times in attempt to fix, they could not, so told them to give my money back and re-installed stock stereo, they agreed. Since they have installed it I've been back twice and still have no sound on radio/phone, and now no back up sensors. I was told call service manager, I did 3x, no return call. I finally just spoke to a service guy who took info, said he'd call back when they had a loaner car... still waiting, it’s been 4 days. Customer service is horrific. I've bought 5 new chevys over last 20 yrs and this is the worst experience I've ever had. WILL NEVER GO BACK TO LUCAS CHEVROLET AGAIN!!!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2014

These people are crooks. They sold me a used car that they knew had important safety issues, and they willingly chose not to reveal them. Less than a month after I purchased this car from them in New Jersey it failed the Pennsylvania state safety inspection, and required a $1,000.00 repair bill to pass. When I contacted them initially, Kevin ** ignored me completely, and Ryan ** flat out lied, telling me his manager would contact me within the week. Over a month later when I sent a letter about this to the manager, Tom **, he refused to own up and reimburse me for even half the repairs, and only was willing to try and force me to accept another trade, as if I would trust them enough to continue doing business with them. All I asked for was to be reimbursed for half the cost of the repairs that were needed to pass the Pennsylvania state safety inspection less than a month after purchasing the vehicle, and instead I was ignored, lied to, and bullied. These people are crooks, and they don't care about their customers. Do not do business with them.

Original review: July 4, 2014

Bought a used VW jetta from Ardy Internet. Salesman misrepresented the car! Said would pay for taxi ride from airport, paid out of my own pocket. Flywheel was out of car. Out of pocket expense $1875. This guy is the shadiest guy I've ever dealt with! Cannot believe there even a dealership!

Original review: Dec. 16, 2012

The dealership is describing used vehicles as GM-certified on their website. When I went to purchase the vehicle with price $28,995.00, sitting down to negotiate that price. Salesman Carlos told me to get the vehicle GM-certified would cost me an extra $1,900.00. After a couple of hours of arguing that this was a scam, they claim that at the bottom of their website explains that there would be additional fees that may apply. They do have that clause, but that does not describe the GM-certified fee. In my opinion as a consumer, I greatly feel this is a scam and they should not be able to show GM-certified on the description of the vehicle and with the listed price. Even the sales manager Victor lied to me when he said they couldn't advertise the vehicle with the Chevy-certified logo with the description of the vehicle.

Unfortunately, I was desperate to purchase a vehicle due to my old car needing a lot of money to repair that I did purchase the vehicle after hours of feeling sick and tired of negotiating about this scam. What I am looking for as a consumer is for this and any dealership not being able to advertise a certified vehicle in their description and price. They hide behind their fine print that additional fees may apply. This is a disgrace and false advertising. Please get them to either describe additional cost for certification or take away the certified logo in the vehicle description. Thank you. It's not fair to the consumer. If I had known it would cost me additional $1,900.00 from viewing the website, I would not have traveled there in the first place.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2012

I purchased a 2012 Suburban from this dealer on the 29th of August. As of today, Sept. 26th, I have not received my tags. My temp tags expired on Sept. 17th and when I asked for extension, I was told that by finance manager, Jay, they cannot issue me second set of temp tags. Jay had advised me at time of sale that if my temp tags expire prior to regular tags, I should contact them and they will send me new temp tags. Since I live in Virginia (250 miles away) and dealership is in NJ, I cannot go to them everyday. However, I have been calling and talking to different people and no one is willing to help me. I was told pointblank by CJ, my salesman, that he cannot help me and I should be talking to George, the manager.

They keep saying that documents were sent to REG USA, a title work company and they are still processing the tags with DMV VA. I just spoke with DMV for the 8th time and they have no record of my VIN. It has been 10 days that my vehicle has no tags and I am unable to drive around, been taking taxi to work. Is there anyone who can assist me or guide me to a correct legal avenue?

Original review: June 28, 2012

Richard and I agreed on a price for a car. The lease price was accepted based on Tier 1 credit, which I have. When I returned 2 hours later to finalize the deal, the salesperson took my information, then came back and said my credit is 780 and does not qualify for the Super Tier credit and that was the deal so they could not honor the price. We were extremely disappointed, as this whole experience was very unprofessional. And when we told the manager this, he said, "I do not want to even sell you a car." Obviously, they gave us a low price before we left the dealership to go see a similarly priced Ford car, and then when we returned, they did not honor it. The manager is extremely rude and does not know how to treat customers or run an honest business. Nowhere on the website of Chevy or Richard does it mention Super Tier credit, which is over 800 credit score.

Original review: April 25, 2010

Time is running out to take advantage of the $3,500 rebate and other incentive being offered on purchase of a new 2010 Malibu LT which ends on 04-30-10. Facts: The general manager of Richard Lucas Chevrolet (a.k.a. Woodbridge Auto Center), Jorge *, George *, Jeff (finance manager) and Luke that met with me on 04-16-10 or 04-17-10, mislead me to believe I did not qualify for a new car loan. And again after when Jorge * stated that he spoke with Chase Bank representative who stated was not comfortable in providing me with a loan for a new vehicle, and as much as he tried, I was again denied new vehicle purchase prior signing contract of the second vehicle on 04-21-10.

I now have with Chase Bank an approved loan application for over $19K that I attained myself and Jorge * had agreed to put me in new vehicle on 04-22-10 once my loan was confirmed but once there, he said he was not selling me a new car and threw me out of store stating obscenities at me at which time I filed a harassment complaint after I called township police to Richard Lucas Chevrolet.

A loan amount of about $15,000 appears on record with Chase Bank system for the Certified Used Vehicle that I first signed for on 04-16-10 and returned due to mechanical issues aside fact that Purchase Sales Order had LT model and was actually provided an LS model that was worthless. There is possibly the second vehicle application in process that I signed for on 04-21-10 after dealer took back first vehicle and returned it on 04-22-10 for a thumping noise coming from right front of vehicle that got louder day two after dealer stating on day one when I pointed out the issue but it was not as loud and because the actual vehicle miles as compared to what listed on "window sticker" were more than 4,000, having car worthless than what purchased for because of their dishonesty.

After having Chase Bank dealer representative intervene, I was able to return vehicle signed for on 04-21-10, on 04-23-10 after Richard Lucas (according to Chase Bank rep.) agreed to accept car back being told that the contract was being withdrawn. Richard Lucas Chevrolet now has both vehicles in his possession, yet George * and Jorge * refused on 04-23-10 and 04-24-10 to return my $2,0000 that was to be applied towards my loan. Having another dealer ready with the vehicle I chose today, I opened a Premier Checking account with Chase Bank and was ready to set up auto-deduction when the local branch representative Suk Wan * in East Brunswick, NJ stated that there was a current car loan in the system with a 2009 Mailbu. The VIN provided was that of the first Certified Used Vehicle (2009 Malibu LS) which was returned on Monday, 04-19-10 due to it not being an LT as listed on Sales Purchase Order in addition to having mechanical issues. Calling Chase Bank today about this vehicle being on record with Chase Bank as a current loan, they stated that dealer was the only one that could call in to withdraw the contract. I visited the dealer to speak about this matter, and Jorge * refused to speak to me and instead called Woodbridge Police.

I explained to the two officers present that my situation is that dealer needs to contact Chase Bank's dealer department to state that they want to withdraw my loan on file and make sure that second one was not on file either, as this not being done was holding me from being able to purchase a 2010 Malibu LT elsewhere (since they refused to sell me new vehicle). Officer returned from inside dealership with a document printed from www.***.com, having listed DT ID: *** with Lender ID: ***, APS # *** (Status: Pending). Officer stated that he was told I was to contact Chase Bank to request they call Richard Lucas Chevrolet (a.k.a. Woodbridge Auto Center). (Please note that second vehicle's VIN appears with this document ***, not first vehicle's VIN *** that is in system.)

I called Chase Bank in front of officers on "speakerphone" whose representative clearly stated that it was dealer that needed to call them. Please see email (among others) below from general manager Jorge * sent to me on 04-24-10 in the morning, responding to one I sent on 04-23-10 (also included below). Officer stated that he was told Richard Lucas was deciding on Monday, 04-26-10, if he was returning my $2,000 provided towards loan on 04-16-10, and with no time given, suggested I appear at opening time. I am requesting that I be contacted no later than 04-26-10, as dealer is holding a vehicle for me only through 04-27-10 and rebates totaling $3,500 are not available after 04-30-10.

Original review: April 17, 2010

Dealer is advertising consumer's cost of their vehicles listed as Certified Pre-Owned "selling price." Once the paperwork is presented, dealer then discloses that there is an additional fee for certification and another for reconditioning, pointing to their fine print when asked about these additional fees. Lured in by what they advertise as "selling price" to later be told other fees are added. It seems to be bait and switch tactic. Vehicle I bought is listed in sales order as LT, expecting to have Satellite and OnStar options as is included with LT.

Unable to find radio last night after vehicle given prior signing of contract, I looked it up using the VIN of the car last night, seeing it in their CPO inventory, and vehicle was listed as having that option. At that time, I also realized vehicle is an LS model and not an LT as noted in our purchase order. When asking about the satellite radio and OnStar prior signing contract this morning, explaining I was unable to find it, was given instruction on how to activate satellite radio and to use the buttons on the rear view mirror for OnStar. Doing both, I find out vehicle does not have satellite radio nor OnStar.

Returning car to George L this morning and explaining my frustration not only the surprise fees, but that it does not include satellite radio nor OnStar, and according to terms that I read on purchasing certified Chevrolet Malibu vehicles, I have the right to return the car within three days and 150 miles, as it is a customer satisfaction guarantee. George L stated he would see what he can do about the satellite radio on Monday and that there was nothing he could do on the purchase of vehicle nor purchase price.

I was also told that I would qualify for GM credit with credit scores being in the 600s and after being in dealer for six hours, I was told that we did not qualify for GM credit nor certified vehicle purchase terms. Today, I see that when they submitted my employer information, they only noted that I was self employed and did not include that I worked for state of New Jersey. This was a joint application with my spouse whose employer was included and mine simply stated self employed as was part of my statement when also stating and noting on the employer information request sheet that I work for the state of New Jersey and they're six years now.

I feel that omitting this employer makes a situation that I do not have stable employment and possibly why GM denied me for credit. Chase Bank did provide me with credit after dealer contacted on my behalf. Prior signing contract today, I pointed out to finance manager Jeff that the total we were paying for vehicle summed up to same as if we were purchasing a new 2010 Malibu, factoring in the rebate available. I was told that I needed to qualify for those terms.It was when I requested for a copy of credit report that I discovered employer was omitted. Nothing in writing was provided either that GM denied us credit.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2008

I made a deal with the auto dealer listed above. They told me in order to add the "free" remote start and free oil changes for life, I would have to bring them a check to hold the car. The next day, I brought them a $500 check and 10 minutes after I left, they informed me that they could not honor the deal and stated that I needed to give them another $400 for the stuff they told me was going to be "free". Apparently, they were not happy that I was not going to use their bank because their numbers did not match what my credit union was offering. When they told me they were not going to honor the deal, I immediately asked for my check back. They stated they deposited my check in a safe and no one could get it until the next morning. I took off work again in the morning to get the check and was told to come back at 1:00 to get it because no one was there to open the safe. When I called at 1:00, they stated no one was there to unlock the safe.

Richard Lucas Chevrolet Company Information