Find a Car Dealerships partner

Salem, NH

3.7/5 (28 ratings)
Find a Car Dealerships partner
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About Interstate Auto Auction

NOW Open Every Saturday. We run an honest & fun auction. In 2002 we were a tiny 40 car a week auction & have grown into New England's largest public auction with 300 cars a week & over 60,000 sold!

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Interstate Auto Auction Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Interstate Auto Auction?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Interstate Auto Auction?

Resolution response: Aug. 27, 2013

They offered me $800 to help fix whatever problem the car had. Just to replace the head gasket, it’s going to cost $1500. He offered me a mechanic. He knows the guy or he’s a friend of the owner or whatever. But the guy is supposed to do it for like $1150 and they offered me $800 to help out with the cost. So I told him I’ll take it. We had a problem but then they stepped in and they helped fix the problem. Right now, after this, I would absolutely recommend them.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2013

I didn’t have enough money to buy at a dealership so I went to Interstate Auto Auction and I regret every single moment of it. They sold a vehicle on green light which means that the vehicle is good and fooled me. The vehicle has a blown gasket. No mechanic is open on Saturdays and Sundays so I have to bring the vehicle to my mechanic. And by Tuesday, it was too late for me to go over there because the mechanic said he’ll be looking on my vehicle on Tuesday afternoon. So by this time it was too late.

I would rate my experience with Interstate Auto Auction as a negative hundred. You want to sell me something that is broken at least tell me so I have the option to choose. That's false advertisement. That’s against the law.

Interstate Auto Auction response

Thank you for your review Jamilson. We value your opinion and appreciate your feedback. We are happy to speak with you and if you will let us we would like to offer you help. We appologize for any inconvience.

Original review: Aug. 11, 2013

I've bought cars at auctions before and I've found out about Interstate Auto by doing a Google search. I needed a car because mine was junked. I wasn’t able to test drive the car in person before the auction as they don’t do test drives on Saturdays (according to their online ads). It was a good experience overall.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2013

I originally found this auction when I was browsing for used cars online, but decided not to bid online because I'm not really a fan of making large expenses online (my choice). After viewing the inventory, I decided to head over to the auction in-person with my son for the following Wednesday auction (you can actually test drive the cars this day). To make a long story short... we ended up driving about 7 cars that actually seemed to be fairly nice!!! At the end of the auction I was the winning bidder of my third choice - but not my first pick (I think I might have been a bit nervous when I was first bidding). A great "first" vehicle no matter what... but I had the intent that something on it would need to be fixed before I even started looking at anything.

Finding out later, she needed nothing more than just the normal routine maintenance items. I didn't mind one bit if it did have other issues though, because I had planned to spend time with him going over the repairs with him. When we went home that night he was so excited, I don't think he even slept though the night. So far, we have not had even one issue with it yet and my only hope is that he treats this new car with respect. Now, as far as the action goes itself... I will say this. Buying here was a great choice for me (it was fun for the both of us). I've never been to a car auction before, but when I arrived I found staff helping and assisting other customers - some who I overheard had many of the same questions as myself. I had a very pleasant overall experience as you can tell, and if I had to do this all over again - I would!

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: Aug. 7, 2013

Not only is the merchandise garbage. But, I wouldn't trust their word on the green light. I've heard a lot of people have had problems with their engines and transmissions after I talked to a guy who knew them after I left. But the people that own the place and the people that work at this place are evil. One guy that works there was abusive and they let him be abusive. I was there to spend money and they were severely nasty. I'll bet this company is from Florida. You can just feel it in their attitudes. That guy was seriously yelling at me because I asked a question. Well, needless to say don't go there. Seriously this place is real trash and so are the people.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2013

It’s my first time to buy a vehicle from Interstate Auto Auction last week. Bidding process was over quick. I’ve known about them for a long time. I don’t remember how I learned about them but I knew about them and the one in Manchester too. I’m from around there so it’s just a local business there. I chose them because I could pay cash and it was cheap. Overall, it was a good customer service experience.

Original review: July 31, 2013

I first heard about Interstate Auto Auction through my brother and the experience was good. It was awesome. I’ve seen my brother do it. He bought a car before me a week before me. I just purchased my vehicle with them yesterday and it was my first experience with them. I was not able to test drive the car in person before the auction because I got there a little bit too late. My interaction with the staff went pretty nice. The bidding experience went fine. It was kind of like competition. Overall, it was a wonderful experience. I’d recommend them.

Original review: July 26, 2013

I was checking online when I first heard about Interstate Auto Auction. I actually went the week before just to check it out and then I came back there on Saturday and bought the vehicle. I didn’t get to test drive it. I just looked at the inside of it and outside but I got to start it up and just testing it. The bidding process was okay and easy and everybody from the staff was good to me. Overall, I think it’s a good place to buy a car from. They have good prices and a lot of nice vehicles with different varieties to choose from.

Original review: July 23, 2013

I got two really nice cars from Interstate Auto Auction. They were really cheap. I'd give them a 4.

Original review: July 19, 2013

I went onto Craigslist and saw a vehicle for sale by Interstate Auto Auction. This was my first experience with them but I actually bought a few cars. I went to their location in person and was able to preview and test drive the car before the auction. The bidding experience was easy. They're pretty clear to the point of what the price is. If you've been bidding and bidding and bidding and then you're kind of backing up, they'll even go down to like say 50. Like let's say we're at $1800, they'll say, 'Will $1850 help you?' Overall, I would say they're excellent, friendly and just accurate.

Factual basis uncertain
Original review: July 16, 2013

I bid on a vehicle that looked like it was in amazing condition. It was a Mercedes E320 and it was rebuilt. I understand that the motor and electrical of the vehicle would be a gamble. When I arrived to pick up the vehicle I was very excited to have won such a great looking car. Well when I approached the vehicle I immediately noticed the large amount of rust that completely encompassed the vehicle. It basically had a large gold ball size rust spot on the door that was not visible in the pictures and not described in the description of the vehicle. The lights look like they had been sandblasted and every panel on the car was rusting.

I advised the front desk of my issue with the vehicle and immediately was given a attitude. She then started to look at the online pics with me at the desk and she zoomed in on every picture and could not find a picture with rust on it. So she then said, "I need to go outside and make sure you are looking at the same vehicle." She came back and said, "Yup that's the same vehicle". She said, "Well, it's not a softball size rust spot, more like a golf ball," and then tried once again to look online at the pics to try and defend the online purchase. I was not trying to just point out one spot. It was on the edge of the hood, around the windows, and under the paint. Basically she then said, "Let get you a manager."

So ** came over and said, "Your purchase is a purchase that you're stuck with no matter how it looks online." She said, "You should have come in and test driven the vehicle and looked over it with a fine comb and magnifying glass." I said, "Well, you have an online dept for vehicle purchases and pictures built for online purchases." I did not argue but simply stated that the pictures I based my purchase off of were deceiving and not at all described in the description of the vehicle. She saw that I was being very calm and nice so she then offered to take me in her office to talk in private.

When we went into the office she stated that she would refund me half of my payment and only charge me $150 and made me sign the form for the original $300. I trusted her that she would only charge me the $150. I now look at my bank statement and I am being charged $300 for a car I did not touch, open, or start, let alone own. I am pretty angry right now and I would recommend them to take down their internet buying options if they can't afford the time, effort, and equipment to give the proper descriptions of vehicles.

Interstate Auto Auction response
You can purchase vehicles both online and in person at our public auto auction. This customer was an online bidder at our auction. We, Interstate Auto Auction, post 5 current pictures of the vehicle in addition to opening our doors of the auction from 9 am to 5 pm on sale day for consumers to be able to come to our property to take any and all vehicles for test drives and to spend time looking at vehicles and checking them in and out to the consumers’ satisfaction,. The consumer can touch, open and start as many vehicles as they choose which is unique to our public auto auction! We have consumers come to our physical property from all over the Northeast Region of the United States every Wednesday to take a look at the vehicles, this consumer had the same opportunity as well, being that the consumer is about an hour to an hour and twenty minutes from our location, they were within proximity to make the drive up the day of the auction before bidding to take a look at the vehicles.
When the consumer came to the property he did look at the vehicle and expressed concern to an employee that it was not the same vehicle. She went out to the vehicle and came back inside and confirmed via the computer that it was the same vehicle. The customer expressed dissatisfaction over the amount of rust on the vehicle and stated it was not visible in pictures and there wasn’t a description. The employee informed the consumer that we open our doors for test drives the day of the auction, and that unfortunately because he did not take that opportunity before he placed a bid on the vehicle, that he did not have to pay for the vehicle but he would forfeit his non-refundable/non-transferable $300 deposit, as stated in the online contract the consumer agreed to.
When the consumer expressed more dissatisfaction, I, the General Manager looked at the pictures and talked to the consumer. The consumer said he definitely wanted to buy a vehicle with our Auction. At that point I asked him to have a seat in my office. I explained to him that there is a contract on both sides of the transaction. I stated the reason why your contract reads non-refundable/non-transferable deposit is because there is also a contract on the selling side which states that the selling dealer receives the deposit funds if the car does not get paid in full and that I cannot refund it to him because I have to give it to the dealer.
The consumer then stated again that he wanted to definitely buy a vehicle from us. I then said the best I can do would be to transfer half of your deposit to another vehicle when/if you buy one. He stated he would definitely be up on Wednesday because he wants to test driving the vehicles. At that point, I said I need you to sign the $300 deposit slip in order to be able to transfer half to another vehicle when you purchase it next week, the consumer said okay, and then he signed it and I gave him a copy of that transaction.
He then asked if we had anything else available now and I directed him to the cars up for auction on that following Saturday; he looked at the cars and then said he would be back on Wednesday. I said ok; see you then and the consumer left the facility.

Although the consumer felt that we should have given a description of every discrepancy on the vehicle, that is not our business model and is evident when you look at all the other vehicles that are in the auction catalog, some have general descriptions, but none detail body condition etc the way in which this consumer had expected and if he had specific questions about the condition of the car before he made a bid on it, he could have called our office which is open Monday through Friday from 9am to 5pm and someone would have been able to take a look at the vehicle for him and give him a verbal description over the phone. The consumer did not take advantage of the eight hours of test driving or the use a telephone to call and ask more specific questions about the vehicle. Therefore, according to the contract that the buyer agreed to, the $300 deposit is non-transferable/non-refundable, however we were trying to go above and beyond for the consumer and transfer half ($150) to a future purchase. We aplogize if the consumer missunderstood the terms of the agreement, however it is a contract and is furnished to them beofre they are even able to place a bid on the vehicle.

Interstate Auto Auction Company Information