2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Shop on Rydeshopper
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.59/5

The Dodge Stratus is a mid-size car that was first introduced in 1995. It was replaced by The Dodge Avenger in 2007. Read more Dodge reviews to learn about other models.

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You
        Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

Dodge Stratus Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Stratus?
        How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Stratus?

Original review: May 17, 2015

I love my 2000 dodge stratus V-6 2.5 L, I have 218,300 miles on it, it runs great haven't had to replace much, just the starter and the water pump, and had the timing belt changed and one tune up, this car is amazing and a lot better than some of my friends newer cars.

Resolution response: June 8, 2015

Well guess what? After I sold my car for junk the guy who bought it changed the timing belt on it and sold it! Therefore I must update my review. Yes, it has been the car I have had the most problems with and I will never buy a Dodge anything but as it turns out my issue was more of a mechanic problem than a car problem. I won't recommend a Dodge because in my experience this car always seemed to have an issue. In retrospect, sometimes you buy a lemon, it can happen with any car. Good luck no matter what you buy. :)

Original review: April 25, 2015

This vehicle is notorious for having the signal light and sound come up on your dash that there is a problem and within 5 minutes or less you are shut down. It is the worst car I have ever had. It has left me stranded so many times that I have used up all of my towing allowances with AAA - two years in a row! I just had it checked out for summer driving, spent a ton to fix the a/c and the very next week while driving down a busy main road the tone of an alert came on and I barely had time to pull to the side of the road before everything locked up and I was stranded - again. I had it towed to my mechanic and they said that the engine locked up. When I asked why they said that these cars are notorious for engine problems. I only have 105,500 miles on it.

Now a junk dealer will pay me $300 bucks for this thorn in my side. Bye bye new tires, new alternator and new compressor for a/c. Dodge sucks - just thinking of them makes me want to throw up. I just used my little bit of savings to buy a used car - it's not a Dodge. My advice is for you to dodge the Dodge. You won't regret it, it will be the best move you will make.

Original review: April 20, 2015

Bought this 2001 Dodge Stratus RT brand new in 2000. It's now 2015 - regular service when scheduled and now 178000 miles later no issues whatsoever. Great car.

Original review: April 10, 2015

This was my very first car, it was also my brother's. The miles that were on it originally were 96,000. This was a good car from the start and it now has 270,000 miles and the car has had nothing wrong. I just want people to be aware I'm not a know-it-all mechanic, I'm just a high school student with a job. This car is rough and tough and my brother and I have hit and banged the ** out of this thing. People need to understand that Dodge isn't a bad company nor is Chrysler, Jeep, or Ram. If you just do simple maintenance on the damn thing, it won't let you down. I will admit the tranny is skipping, but what do you expect at 270,000? It still idles and drives great!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2015

I bought a 2001 Dodge Stratus Coupe SE, loved the body and style. And figured that because the car idled ruffly, it needed a tune up since I had already replaced every fuse, the air filter, power steering line, coolant line, battery, headlights, inner and outer tie rod ends, and the EGR Valve - plus 6 trips to the muffler shop due to the car always making the muffler explode. I contacted Chrysler about the recalls on the engine for my car and the power steering, they even recalled the transmission. All they could say was, "sorry you're dissatisfied. Contact us if there's anything else you would like us to do." I've replaced every steering component and its all broke within a month, and the car still idles rough and dies while driving.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2014

I purchased a 2003 Stratus R/T Coupe about a year ago for my oldest daughter. We just loved the car from the moment we saw it on the lot. After test driving it for the weekend we decided to purchase it with cash paid in full. Loved the car! Then we had a good rain! Ok a leak in the seal of the windshield sucks, but fixable. Yeah Right! I start doing a little research online just to find out how common it really was for this vehicle to have this problem. The quick fix turned into puddles of water in the passenger floorboard first, then through the dash to the driver’s floorboard and now it has ruined all the wiring to the radio. It plummets from this point to all the other identical complaints of fellow Stratus owners.

We have replaced the front lower passenger control arm and ball joints. Now this week we change the spark plugs, which mind you is ridiculous to have to tear the top of the engine apart to get to three of the plugs. As soon as we started the car it started making a knocking noise, so we were afraid something was wrong with the way it was put back together or something had accidentally dropped in the motor. After going back through the process all over again we found that the top spark plug that we just changed was completely bent! Now the service engine light is on and the car is sputtering and doesn't want to stay running while stopped or idle. We hooked it up to get the code for the service engine light and it comes back that cylinder 6 is misfiring.

After going online to do some research I am finding out that I am actually lucking to only have 1/3 of the exact same problems that fellow stratus owners have had. I think it is absolutely wrong of Dodge to allow this to be overlooked when there are so many complaints of identical problems. It has hurt a lot of people financially and the stress is a whole other factor. It is sad that what was supposed to such a great first car for my daughter has turned into a nightmare that can only end if we get a money tree.

I will be trading the car in before the motor is beyond repair of my means, but with Dodge having the knowledge of how bad this vehicle can be I'm sure I will get lucky if they give me a $1000.00 towards the new car. SHAME ON YOU DODGE! For the amount of money we pay to own a vehicle they should be able to last longer than 10 years when upkeep is done regularly. I mean I have a 1998 Chevy Silverado that we use as an old work truck that has double the miles and has been through 3 times the wear and tear and it still runs like a dream. Get it together Dodge...and to think I wanted to purchase a new Challenger!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2014

I have a dodge stratus and I’ve had it for almost a year because I had wrecked my first one. I bought it off a dealership, with the engine locked up. But in my first Stratus, it ran perfectly fine, never needed a new transmission or anything of that sort. I then changed the motors and the one I have now, also runs perfectly fine. I’ve no trouble out of it and I love it. But the only problem is that it’s a long car, I’m looking for something smaller.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2014

I own a 2004 Dodge Stratus R/T. I bought it back in 2013 and now I've had it for a year. I knew it was gonna need maintenance. But it was a one owner and I bought it off of an old lady. It turns out the car’s engine and trans was solid! However, the car needed new struts, bearings, sway bar, and bushings. I mean that suspension was toast!! But after I fixed it, which was $800 for just parts, the car worked just fine. The only thing I hate about the car is the dog on paint peeling on the rims.

It’s crazy this car can still hit its top speed of 120 mph. I do regular maintenance on the car. Instead of every 3000 miles, I do 2500 miles for an oil change. I wish they did more with the Stratus back in the old days. It was a good car, but just wasn't enough to catch on to people. If they offered a Stratus SRT, I'm sure it would have sold. The only thing I wish I could find is original parts for this car. I want the original side skirts for the car but can't find them. I was also looking for the 17 inch rims and can't find anything. It’s extremely hard to find OEM parts for this thing. Other than that, it’s a very satisfying car.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2014

2003 Dodge Stratus Sxt 2.4 - I drove to store - car was fine. Came back out from store, try to start car - just click from starter. New battery, new starter, new crankshaft sensor, new camshaft sensor, & checked timing - all aligned corrected. Click, Click, Click...

Original review: Aug. 23, 2014

I bought my 2001 Dodge Stratus in 2009 with only 19,000 miles on it. The first few years of owning it, I was thrilled. I did the regular maintenance like oil changes, new belts, etc. Starting around 60,000 miles (now at 80,000), I have had nothing but problems. In order of repairs have been new brakes (not a big deal), new fuel pump, new battery, new wheel bearings, upper ball joints for the front, ball joints for the back, new back struts, new cam and crank shaft sensors and a few other things. Now my major problem is I believe my transmission is going out and my car is running horrible. It is leaking a ton of oil which they say is coming from my oil pan gasket and cam shaft seal. My car gets stuck in gear and now is doing a "jumping/skipping" thing when it's trying to switch gears. Also - my oil light is coming on only when I stop. I have taken it in and they just shake their heads and say it's a guessing game. My engine light is on but it has no codes. The car runs great one day, won't even start the next. This car has turned into a daily nightmare and I cannot wait until the day I can get a new car. I will NEVER own a Dodge again!

Dodge Stratus Company Information