Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty
1.98/5
Based on 80 reviews that contain star ratings

Dodge Durango

The Dodge Durango is an SUV with six models to choose from. Read more Dodge reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of Mind

Be comforted knowing that your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend My Warranty

546 Dodge Durango Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 31, 2015

I bought this truck back 2007 with 48,500 miles - 2004 Dodge Durango. So far it's been a good truck - 5.7 Hemi v8. In the past 6 years everything has gone out in it: my speedometer stopped working, my anti-lock brakes pump stopped, air condition stopped working for no reason at all. I've had some repairs. When it rains the motor acts like it wants die. Now the truck was running fine until this winter. Here in Texas we have had a bad snow and sleet storm for about week or so. During February 2015, I didn't use my truck at all. When I went to start it, it made loud sound like something explode it inside the engine. Then it was making a loud clicking sound, then the motor locked on me...out of car. Don't know what do...

Original review: March 30, 2015

My 2005 Dodge Durango SLT blown a head gasket and I have a warranty on it. The problem is the warranty won't cover the head gasket if the cylinder block isn't damaged and my mechanic is pretty sure it's the head gasket that's blown. All I have to do is pay a deductible on my warranty but if the warranty isn't gonna cover the problem because the other issue didn't occur, why hasn't Dodge fixed this problem throughout the years? I know somebody had to complain! And if I take it to the dealership I have to pay $100 to have its diagnostic and then if it's what my mechanic said originally, I could be looking anywhere from $1,000 repair to a $4,000. This is so not fair and something needs to be done. I haven't had this car a year yet.

Original review: March 5, 2015

I bought a 2000 Dodge Durango used in December of 2014 used, it had 107,000 miles. I was driving last week when I lost total control. Ran up someone's yard, almost went through house. The right front tire came off with all parts with it. I'm lucky I wasn't still on 95, I would have been dead or someone else. The insurance said they couldn't fix it.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2014

We purchased a 2000 Durango SLT in 04 at an auction with 38000 miles on her. Only reason we wanted was because had to have 3rd row, V8 and a Dodge. At 85000 had transmission rebuilt, 13 months later rebuilt again shops fault. I love this truck haven't had any electrical issues, but go thru hubs every 2 years, pads and rotors the same. Just started getting what sounds like a lifter tick, and quite few oil leaks, just hit 196,000 miles. I'm planning on pulling motor and rebuilding and driving it myself back and forth to work, love the truck.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2014

I never had a vehicle worth more than $500. I worked hard and saved my money for over ten years to buy me a nice ride. I fell in love with the 02 durango body style and had $10,000 of HARD earned cash over ten years of minimum wages. Borrowed the rest. After 30,000 miles of babying, polishing, cleaning, no smoking, garage keeping, no 4x4-ing, I've got a beautiful yard ornament built by dodge. Nobus.... you da-* right no bus - pcm, tps, plugs, coils, plenum gasket, hood to cowl seal, ball joints, tie rods, speed sensor, lifters, rocker arms... I'm getting upset, Ima stop here. The list goes on. Still not fixed - smokes, knocks, shakes, won't pull out of garage it was being worked on at, had to pay tow!!!! Thanks a lot dodge. Every nickel I made since high school is in your purse - you're welcome. I'll never recommend you to my worst enemy. Kumho tires still holding strong 1000 bucks. It's a disgrace to you to be on that pile. I still got her though in garage hoping Mopar will man up - got all my paperwork ready. Brokenhearted. Don't even get close to this poor boy's american white collar. Thank god for my $500 87 ranger still holdin' strong - go ford.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Durango?

Original review: Dec. 17, 2014

No power to key in on position or start position. Only power is to lights and tail lights, rest of electrical is dead?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2014

We would be out on a long lonely desert road and the Durango would shut down leaving us stranded. And dash says no bus, which means to us you are walking, but not funny if it’s 118 degrees. And worst we are just about to get a seventh PCM put in and programmed and it only has 143 K miles on it. It’s putting us in the poorhouse. Chrysler needs to man up and recall these lemons. So many other people have same problem. Called Chrysler while back and they hadn’t heard of this problem. **!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2014

Over heating with out warning caused Blown head gasket. No known cause for the over heating. At 176,000 miles still runs good on the highway but cuts off at slowdown and stops. Not sure of the real reason. Engine light on and off reading show problem in cylinder 4. Awesome highways driving.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2014

I have had nothing but problems with my 2002 Dodge Durango. I will be replacing the ECU Unit for the 4th time in the last 6 years this week. Driving down the road...everything just goes out. The power steering and then just shuts off and won't start again. I'm tired of having my car towed...and can't afford a new one but as far as Dodges go...I will never buy one again.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2014

4.7 dodge. I have a 2000 Dodge Durango. I have replaced the motor 6 times and now needing a 7th. Something needs far as a lawsuit.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2014

I am second owner of a Dodge Durango 2004. I bought this truck in 2005. I have had maintenance done to the truck. I've had a lot of work expenses work done. I had fuel injectors done not even a year ago and picked it up. And the check engine light has been on ever since so now it's beginning to run bad again same problem fuel injectors... It rains in my truck and nobody seems to know why both driver and passenger door water streaming down from the top.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2014

Well it started with driver's back door wouldn't open, next pass door wouldn't open. Don't know what to do. Can't get into the back two doors.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2014

I have a 2000 Dodge Durango and it has started to turn off while being driven and won't start. Have had it towed several times had numerous parts replaced and this continues. I will disengage the factory alarm and the gas gauge will not move and the truck won't start. Then after a while of messing with the remote, turning it on and off, the truck will start but after a while, it does the same thing. Almost wrecked this time while trying to get on the freeway. It turned off at the on ramp. I'm disabled and can't afford anymore bills. Please HELP, any info greatly appreciated.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2014

Bought 2004 Durango from first owner with 30,000 miles on it. Did my research and found nothing about the engine trouble in the Durango Hemi. Maintained as per manufacturer recommendations. I loved this truck... Hemi engine, sun roof, DVD player, etc! There is a leak in both passenger doors that lets rain get inside the door, sloshes around until it drains over a couple of dry days. I could have lived with that. Dropped at airport in April 2014, had 110,000 miles or so. Came back from 3 day trip to knocking in engine. No warning lights. Checked oil... it was fine. Let it idle - still had knocking. Drove 10 miles home and let it sit. Next day it was still knocking. Drove 6 miles to work, was going to drop off for service. Blew rod 1 block away. Research turned up hundreds of people experiencing similar quality issues. I won't buy another Dodge/Chrysler product again.

Original review: July 31, 2014

As I was reading through all of these reviews of the 2004 Dodge Durango it was like reading a nightmare of my own description. Just about every problem in this forum I have had with my Dodge Durango from the Cowl leak to the electrical starting issues to the stopping issues and finally the engine just blew up on me leaving the car wash. I really love the Dodge truck but the Dodge Durango is worth staying away from. I had the paint issue where the paint peeled off the side of the Durango. I had the electrical problem with my DVD player and it doesn't work now. I faithfully change my oil on time every oil change and I run full synthetic. There should be no reason the engine would just blow at 120,000 miles.

The stalling issues were a big danger as it was my wife's vehicle and several times we were traveling at highway speed and the vehicle would just stall for no reason. Then the tie rod just fell off the passenger side and luckily that was in town. Again if that was at highway speed it would've been very nasty. As a matter of fact all our miles were on the highway mostly and the vehicle was never abused. If anybody wants 04 Durango with a blown motor you're more than welcome to it. It has just over 120,000 miles and if you need a parts vehicle you can have this planter for a song. Good riddance.

Original review: July 18, 2014

As I was driving, I went to make a left turn and my back right tire went flying - broke the studs in half. Jacked up my truck bent the Axle and jacked up the brakes.

Original review: May 22, 2014

Purchased an additional car last year. A 2004 Dodge Durango. Ran fine for 8 months, then engine blew. Replaced engine, then seal leaked out all the oil. Cowl on windshield leaked, causing misfire in engine. Will NEVER buy another Dodge product. Now I know why NASCAR won't use Dodge engines.

Original review: May 1, 2014

The same thing happened to us with our 2004 Limited Durango 5.7 Hemi. Which we purchased from a Dodge dealership as a lease back in 2007. I always maintained my vehicle by changing the oil and filters on time. Also keeping up on any other maintenance that was needed. We always loved our Durango and that is why when our engine blew we were so disheartened.

Two years ago while driving our daughter to her freshmen move in day at Caldwell College it just suddenly happened. We had just gotten off of interstate 280 exit 7 about 5 miles from the college and the light comes on and seconds later the engine just locks up. We were stuck with our daughter and all of her stuff just minutes away from what should have been one of the most exciting days of her life. Talk about disappointment. My wife and I tried not to let our daughter see just how devastated we were. But honestly I was in utter disbelief, the engine completely seized up and never got any better. Luckily I had AAA at the time so later that day after we had some friends of ours pick us up and get us to the college we went back to wait for the tow truck to bring it home. I was told it would cost 6500 to replace the engine.

Well with four in College our Durango has become a planter until we can afford to do something with it. I can tell you that I have owned dozens of vehicles through the years of many different makes and models. Both for my business at the time and for personal use. Including dodge minivans when our children were young. In fact we bought this Durango after our children grew up, this was our first vehicle that my wife and I choose for us to enjoy. And we took a lot of pride and care with it. Which was not always the case with some of our other cars and trucks. As you can imagine minivans were a necessity for us not a source of pride. But the Durango was, and it was also the one and ONLY engine to EVER blow up on us. In fact I never ever even had one major engine problem with any other vehicle. Now when people I know see me and say what happened to your Durango? And I tell them, the most common response is something along the lines of "I heard those Dodge engines blow up a lot" Boy doesn't that make me feel good to own one.

One more thing I would like to mention Dodge (Mopar) for decades had the rightful reputation of having the strongest built engines out of any manufacturer. Their Mopar brand was world famous and time proven so what happened? You have disappointed so many of us and have done unimaginable damage to the Mopar brand that millions around the world loved. And I stupidly still love the Mopar brand. Which is why I still keep my Durango. So I can only hope that things get better for Mopar. Thank You

Original review: April 14, 2014

While it is up to date with times, the keyless start left me stranded with NO warning the battery was dead except a ding in the dash stating "the key was not in the vehicle". I was unable to lock or restart my car after shutting off the engine. It was a nice day out, thank God but truly this IS a huge safety issue!!! I drive in ice and snow with temps in the single digits to my job 3 times a week for 2 hours and what IF I had been traveling with children....out in the middle of nowhere, we would have frozen to death.

There was no misfortune at this time BUT I foresee MANY to come. BAD BAD BAD plan!!! I was lucky enough to be just an hour away from the dealership I had purchased 7 months ago (and yes brand new) they came and changed out the battery in the key fab, no they did not have to. I was NOT in walking distance to buy one from RadioShack or any other store either, nor should I have had to. DANGEROUS.

Original review: April 10, 2014

I had same problem I just read about. My Durango also would just die on highway or anywhere without warning. After many attempts to get it repaired and back and forth to dealer, it would never get resolved. I felt at risk and in danger with a family in the truck mostly all the time. I began to notice it would happen when it rained. After I refused to take it back home from dealer did they find issue. It was the spark plugs getting wet because the cowl was cracked.

I am not a mechanic but I also heard it referred to as a fire wall crack. My Dodge had never been in a accident. And they could not give me a answer to how that would happen. I call it a bad part. And yes I believe it takes tragic accidents before these dealers take a closer look at complaints. So sad. It cost me so much time and money. My husband had bought 4 trucks in the course of his life. But this incident has turned us away from Dodge products.

Original review: April 4, 2014

My 2003 Dodge Durango on the roof just above the windshield start chipping after the winter is over. Anyone have this problem and what can be done?

Original review: March 15, 2014

I have a 99 Dodge Durango and had a issue with it where it continually shut off on me while driving even at high rate of speed. Garages could not find the issue because no codes were coming up so I did my own research, found out that it is a computer problem. The garages laughed at me "because I am a girl telling them my opinion on it" so I ordered the part on my own and fixed it. Hahaha to them, it fixed the problem. Also had issue with ABS light and brake light coming on, no codes again. So I did my own research, again turns out to be a relay switch. Had other issue where car just would not start, would be fine one minute then shut it off and go to start it up and nothing. Would not even click like it wanted to start. So here I go again doing my own research to find out it was the pick up coil. If you call Dodge, they never heard of such a issue. Bull crap, they just do not want to do a recall. If you research the problem, you will find thousands of people who have the same issue and called Dodge like I did and they say the same thing to everyone, "This is the first we are hearing about this issue". Bull crap. I hope someone sues the hell out of them one day... Good luck...

Original review: March 13, 2014

I seen a comment on here someone stating if you treat your vehicle good, it will do the same for you. That is so far from the truth, and does not make sense... Vehicles don't have minds, they don't say to you, "oh hey treat me good and I'll do the same..." MY LIST OF ISSUES: brand new 2012 Durango r/t fully loaded... Second day we had it, navigation went out... All issues my wife and I had with it... navigation (was replaced 7 times with new units)... Leather passenger seat had to be completely replaced... Dashboard noise issues (replaced whole dashboard, and out of service on this one issue over 30 days)... Chrome pieces connected to the vents on inside were falling off... Side passenger mirror kept coming loose... Sometimes if you hit the window up/down button on driver door the sunroof would open or close... Motor to the driver side window went bad... Sometimes the button to have the tailgate lift up or down wouldn't work... Windshield fluid sprayers stopped working....AWD service light would come on periodically....

Ya all these issues with a 2012. We sued Chrysler and got a settlement, and with that settlement they didn't have to call it a lemon... And all of these issues were not a one time deal. They were reoccurring except for the replacement of the leather seat. Needless to say we got rid of it on trade in. Got what we owed on it and now we are ENJOYING OUR BRAND NEW 2014 BUICK ENCLAVE. We will NEVER PURCHASE ANOTHER DODGE. Once you drive a BUICK compared to Dodge/Chrysler product, you will immediately tell the difference in luxury and craftsmanship. DODGE/CHRYSLER DOES NOT COMPARE...

Original review: Dec. 29, 2013

No lights, No codes and my AWD isn't working, dangerous in bad weather...

Original review: Oct. 1, 2013

We have had 3 Durangos and we love them. They can't be stopped in bad weather. I towed a camper 200 miles away with no issues. We have had a 1998 and currently own a 2003 and a 2004. It's all in how you treat them. If you take care of them they will do the same for you. I am currently looking for another one for my kids to drive.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2013

I have owned a 2004 Dodge Durango. Every time it rains the car idles rough. Check engine light comes on. Due to misfire from the spark plugs. Water comes in at the cowl. Leaks right on the engine. Causes misfire and the truck to act very limp. I have took it to the dealership. They let it sit for hours. Then looked at it. Said we don't see anything wrong with it. The truck has stalled on my family. Left us and the four kids stranded for up to 39 mins. I had do my own research about it to find the problem. Hood cowl panel is a very well-known problem with the 2004-2005 Durangos. The dealerships should easily known about this problem. Dodge should pay to fix it since the truck will just stall going down the road or even the highway. But they have refused to do anything about the safety issues. Will it take a family to die for them to do anything about it?

Original review: Sept. 2, 2013

We purchased a pre-owned 2011 Dodge Durango from Victory Honda in Victoria, TX. It still had an original warranty on it, but we also purchased an extended 1 as well. With our second oil change the dealership stated that we needed to replace our rack and pinion and also the power steering pump... We did that but weren't having any issues with it previously... Then the dealership told us we needed a wheel alignment so they did that also... When we got the Durango back it wasn't driving correctly. It kept going off to the side when you let go of the wheel... We took it back to them about 6-7 times telling them there was something wrong... and each time we were told it was fixed... I finally had to call myself instead of sending my husband and chewed them out that they finally fixed it right and admitted that they hadn't set the wheel straight when they fixed it...

After that the next or so oil change after we got our Durango back the battery light came on and my husband took it back to dealer and was told the alternator needed to be replaced so we did that... Then dealer started having issues with the truck and they couldn't figure out what was wrong... They told us it's probably the battery so we replaced that... Then they said it might be a module... After a week or more being with a rental they said they fixed it so we took it home...

We ended up going to a birthday party and had the truck sitting for a couple of hours and when we were ready to go the truck was completely dead. The key to unlock would not work. We put key in ignition and it wouldn't start... key was stuck/locked in ignition. Ended up having to call tow service to center and help us. We didn't get home until about 1 am... with our 2 kids... So now we are in the same situation without our vehicle... We aren't sure if it's because it's a Dodge problem or if we just purchased a lemon...

Original review: Aug. 25, 2013

I have a 2001 Durango. While my husband was driving, the front rear end cracked in half and rolled out from under the vehicle. Thankfully he was alone and not on interstate or I’m sure it would have rolled! This is definitely something that should never happen and should be looked into. We also have what I believe is wiring issues, heat kicks itself on & off among other issues. I worry every time I have to drive it!

Original review: April 21, 2013

I have a 2004 Dodge Durango. Clear coat is peeling. At first it was just a little; within the last 2 months, it is really bad. Does anyone know of a PPG recall? I did not find a recall for the Clear Coat/paint from Dodge. Anyone have any suggestions? I just want the problem fixed.

Original review: March 1, 2013

Nyle Maxwell Dodge Supercenter did not fix my sensor ABS "brake" to where the warning light will stop shining 24/7. I was charged for the replacement of this part, and I agreed to the charge before they ordered it, just over $1100. I just assumed they had the goal of fixing the issue. I collected my Dodge Durango this evening, paid for all service and parts. But the ABS "brake" sensor warning light still continues to shine on the dash continuously. I believe they explained that when the "brake" sensor light is on, the ABS brakes are not going to be functioning. I was provided with a very confusing "explanation" by the service men. I even asked if this explanation could be emailed.

I paid just over $1100 for an explanation of why the part and service did not work to fix the issue. I was not given a choice of a reduced price for this non-repair. Nyle Maxwell Dodge Supercenter did not make it clear that they would fix the problem for me by ordering an extra $350 part. They asked me to pay another $350 so they could order some more stuff. I declined. I felt there would be no end to my spending, and no promise the next part was all that was required. There is too much "signing-off" required by me as a customer, and not enough commitment by Nyle Maxwell Dodge Supercenter to finish a project. I feel they are not keeping their commitment of what I signed-off, to make that ABS "brake" sensor warning light stop shining constantly.

Dodge Durango Company Information

www.dodge.com
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.