American Airlines

American Airlines Reviews

3.8/5 (2055 ratings)

About American Airlines Reviews

American Airlines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Airlines?

Original review: March 7, 2020

I usually always try to fly American. Every single time in the last 4 years especially I have had absolutely no issues. Always on time flights, very courteous staff and attendants. Lots of room great displays on the seats to enjoy movies and or watch the map and navigation. Planes are generally clean, smell good, and the pilots are fantastic at getting me to and from safely.

Original review: March 6, 2020

Seats too crunched in together, on my outbound flight the person next to me was so large they tumbled over on me and my seat! The flight was full so there was no other seat for either of us to move too!

Original review: March 6, 2020

Deplorable. No customer appreciation or loyalty, no value of customer service, no upgrades to Latin America. They discriminate towards Latinos. Status is always devious, never clear and they lower your grade whenever they want.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2020

Humiliated by the rudest Airline employer. Due to a glitch in their system (when I upgraded to business class) I could not print my ticket all the way to Montreal. The agents were very helpful and directed me to the check in counter to MS RAY ** (27 February 2020, 11.45 pm, flight AA 362 from LAX to ORD). She told me to contact whoever I bought my tickets from???? I could not believe what I was listening to. Then she told me to leave the counter. That’s when I asked for a supervisor. Then she did not even let me explain or show my booking reference from AA.

She was rude, I never ever experienced such treatment in my life. She even talked over the supervisor (who was super professional) telling him and me that he told me something is wrong and I DID NOT LISTEN???? Then when I asked her name she said, "You can take my name. I ALREADY SENT MY REPORT ABOUT YOU????" I could not believe someone so arrogant, rude and disrespectful can ever get a job in the service/travel industry. I have read a lot of bad reviews about AA - how it’s customer service hit rock bottom. This is definitely a new low by every measure!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I fly at least 60 trips a year for business and pleasure and until last year I had no loyalty to any particular airline, I looked for fastest route, lowest price, etc in choosing my carrier. I decided in 2019 to move all travel possible to American to see if there is any level of reciprocity from the airlines. After 1 year and reaching the platinum pro level I can assure it is not. In my recent trip where 1st class was purchased, I was moved to coach and had to call to get a $106 refund on $1600 ticket. This is 1 in a line of recent mishaps, the bigger issue is no matter what level with American they will not speak to you on the phone, instead you submit a ton of info and they return an email or letter. I requested a call and of course, there is no one who cares enough about customer service to pick up a phone even for a frequent loyal customer.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

The airlines is pretty good with punctuality. But it's all for white and rich people. Most staff are courteous except for some old women staff. Boarding is terrible.... They give preference to people who pay more money and not by seat rows.. If you happen to be an unlucky chap who just wants to fly from point a to point b in basic economy, then, this is not the airline you want. You'll board last. You'll be sitting in the middle. You'll get no overhead bin space for your carry on. And if you happen to be a **, co passengers will be very rude.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

I booked a cruise for 2 for March, 2020 and I also booked the flight with the cruise line in November 2019. The cruise line recommended we take the American Airlines for the roundtrip direct flights. I was Ok with the outbound flight but found the inbound flight to be too late. I wanted to come back earlier in the day so upgraded (paid extra) the ticket for an earlier direct flight. American Airlines then cancelled the mid day direct flight and put us back on the cheaper evening direct flight. I asked for a refund of the difference but American Airlines just said this does not warrant a refund but no explanation provided.

The cruise line is very good and instead of a refund of the difference is going to give us onboard credit. Also, has booked us on a mid day 1 stop flight back. I feel American Airlines is scamming its customers by making them pay more, cancel the more expensive flight and pocket the difference. Should the authorities not put a stop to this. I understand the airline companies may have to adjust their schedules from time to time but should not be allowed to pocket the fare difference.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2020

I booked a 1-way flight for my husband dated for 2/7/2020 under his account on 2/4/2020, coming from Chicago IL to Raleigh/Durham. The flight time was around 2pm & landing was around 5pm 2/7/2020. The cost of the flight was for $154.40 including taxes. No email was sent to my husband’s account for the flight & we didn’t notice it till the day of his flight. After my husband gets to the airport & he was advised that flights are booked for that day & he didn’t have a ticket. I checked my husband’s online account for his ticket for that day & surprisingly there was nothing for a flight that day. I know I booked his flight b/c after entering in the voucher it advised to me that the cost was $0.00. I called AA & talked to 3 different customer service reps & a manager. The manager stated that the flight was booked on 2/4/2020 around 3:45pm, it wasn’t ticketed & then it was canceled around 4:09pm.

I advised that I didn’t cancel the booking & I wanted to know who canceled it. The manager advised she didn’t know but it was canceled under the account. I was then transferred to someone in the AA.com department & that person in AA.com department advised that they didn’t have any information on that flight I was referring to. I was then transferred to a manager with AA.com & he explained what happened & that it was never confirmed. I had to book my husband a later flight for that day for the 6:49pm & that ticket costs me $348.40. I used both my vouchers for his flight. I want my voucher for the remaining $215.54. Someone in your company made a mistake & they didn’t ticket my husband for his flight. If the booking wasn’t confirmed (when I was under his account) then why didn’t we get an email advising that the ticket or booking wasn’t confirmed?? Original record locator is ARCZNI.

AA didn't advised to us that the booking want ticketed & they canceled our booking without us knowing. This is very unprofessional as a company. After speaking to someone is the corporate office, she advised that we canceled the ticket. I advised to her that we was advised the booking wasn't ticketed so how can we cancel it. She advised someone under my husband's account canceled the ticket. Someone with this company canceled my booking & the ticket was never confirmed. All of these complaints that I hear about AA are true. I see why they are the worst ever!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2020

I have found out that it's far too easy to cancel a person flight. With a name and a record locator, someone can change your travel plans without you knowing anything about it. This happened to me. I had a scheduled flight and when I went to check on the flight details a few days before, I saw the flight was cancelled. When I called in, they told me that I had called in and cancelled the flight a few weeks before. I explained this was not me and I had no idea what they were talking about.

American Airlines was not helpful at all and offered me nothing for my lost flight. Because I booked through FlightHub, my ticket was not refundable. How is this possible??? Why is it so easy to cancel someone's flight. Should we not have to provide the credit card it was booked with to cancel it? I did some searching online to find out that this is a thing. People are cancelling other people's flights to try to get air miles or rebook flights for themself. Why is there not more protection for the consumer in these cases? I am so upset and out $500 now. That flight is gone and I am not getting a refund

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

Our flight to Cancun got delayed by 3hrs without any reason. On top of that the worst staff on ground that is to rude you feel they are doing you a favor by providing service. The worst experience started from checkin itself and once we all boarded and settled and looking out for a great vacation in Cancun for our 15th marriage anniversary, we were told that flight is now delayed by 3 hrs for No reason and have to deplane within 5 mins of settling in. Our whole travel plan got screwed. Wish we were flying Delta and Philly was delta hub. Unfortunately AA will never be like delta and have to just deal with it.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

First outbound (BA) flight was delayed due to weather and AA bumped us off our connecting flight despite us being at the gate 25 mins before it left. They then lost our luggage for 5 days when we finally arrived at our destination. Coming home the MIA to PHL flight was delayed by 4 hrs and we weren't offered so much as a bottle of water while we waited (we'd already been there 3 hrs early). Of course this delay meant we missed our connection again, so we were delayed 6 hrs getting home via London instead of Manchester. Overall terrible customer service as well so we will never fly with them again, or with anyone who codeshares. The attitude of staff didn't help.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

My wife and I flew BOS to JFK and the agent told us that to sit together we had to pay 38$. On the plane she had 2 empty seats next to her!! I will choose a different airline next time. I can’t believe they do this to customers.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2020

We were booked on Flight 3271 from Roswell NM to Dallas TX on 1/6/2020. The flight was delayed because of mechanical issues so we missed our flight from Dallas to Mazatlán MX. We were told they would put us up in Dallas and we would fly to Mazatlán the next day. When we arrived in Dallas they said they had rerouted us to Mexico City and then Mazatlán but could not give us tickets. They would be waiting at the gate when we arrived in Mexico City. There were no tickets waiting for us at the gate and we ran around the airport in Mexico City for 3 hours and could not find anyone that spoke English.

After 3 hours we finally found where we could get our tickets and arrived in Mazatlán 12 hours late to our resort so we missed out on a full day at the resort with no compensation from American Airlines. Leaving Mazatlán flight 5787 was delayed so now we are going to miss our flight from Dallas TX to Roswell NM. We will have to stay in a Motel in Dallas and take a flight the next day. Again no compensation from the airline. This is crazy. They should at least gave us some compensation for the headache we went through on the way there and paid for our room in Dallas.

One of the worst travel experiences in 45 years:

1- Atrocious customer service from start to finish.

2- Inept, rude, and unresponsive management that avoids responsibility for poor service, mirrored by unsupported front line personnel, translating to a company that simply doesn’t care.

3- Delays of more than 4 hours for a 2 hour flight with no weather/disaster excuse... is inexcusable. Management knew, yet kept everyone (50 people ages 4 months-84years) before cancelling flight....at 1 AM in the morning, leaving us stranded in the middle of the night with very limited rebook options within the next 12 hours.

I could have driven faster and for less expense (even in a rental). I worked front lines, managed, and trained others in customer service and logistics for decades. Had I treated customers as poorly as we were treated, I would have been fired. Transportation is a service, and we have many choices. I will never fly American Airlines again. This review is being posted across several platforms because people deserve to know before they book.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2020

My son plays travel basketball and their flights are always paid for by the organization. Upon checking in via kiosk we were told to go to an agent. As the agent put in the reg# and asked to see my id she asked for the card that paid for the tickets, so Im confused as this has never happened. I advised her I didn't own the card and the coach paid for it. She stated, "Without the card I cant let you fly." So I call the coach which she would not speak to him but said to call cust service. I asked so if my child is coming home from college and I purchase his ticket in another state he wont be able to board? Long story short a total of 700$ plus gas and parking gone down the drain. AMERICAN AIRLINES are a joke and has all future business with myself and any organization I associate with. You were once something to brag on but now I feel the same about you as I do Spirit. You're a trash airline who does not care about your customers.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2020

I have been a weekly business traveler for 10 years. I have been part of Jet Blue, Delta, and other rewards FF programs. With Delta, when you get status (for loyalty) you get free upgrades. For the last 12 months I have been on over 60 American flights. To increase my status, I recently paid $1,000- $550 in giving up points accrued, and $450 in cash. My reward for this investment (and being a loyal frequent flyer) is to get upgrades often, but now I have to pay $80 for them since I gave up all of my accrued points. I would have been better off just paying for first class and not improving my status. Much of this is on me for not researching this thoroughly enough. You know the saying, fool me once ….. I will be evaluating other programs. If you are a frequent traveler I would take a detailed look at how the status programs work. There are better programs out there than American.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Had flight for me and my husband booked with American Airlines, all that was left even remotely affordable was basic economy. Business event we were traveling to canceled 4 days prior, hotel event and all. I asked AA for an exception on the basic economy so I could get a credit to fly with them in future if event gets rescheduled. They refused due to basic economy airfare. Friends traveling to same event, had booked non refundable basic economy with Delta, when showed business event was cancelled, they received a voucher for future use/travel. AA would not work with us at all. So basically if you are wealthy enough to afford main or first class, good for you, you can change and have emergencies come up and they will work with you, but not if all you can afford is basic economy. It was going to be my first time flying AA, I will not choose them in the future.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

As a frequent flyer, I would like to caution as many travels as possible against flying American Airlines. I've never in my my years of travel experienced the lack of customer service from ANY airline that I've experienced from American. I recently purchased a one way ticket through American Airlines from Atlanta to Portland. Prior to arriving at the airport I received several text messages indicating that the we would not likely make the connection to Portland based on delay on the flight leaving Atlanta. This included a link giving you the option to rebook.

Based on this message, I made arrangements to be picked up at the connection which was in LA. When it was my turn to board the flight (after scanning my ticket) I was told that I would need to check my bag. I asked the woman speaking to me if she would mind checking to see if there was any space (to which is responded very rudely; No). I then explained the situation and asked if my bag could be checked to LA. The response was again, no. She eventually tagged by bag and said ok, and began to roll it in the direction of the ramp. Immediately after, another lady from the ticketing area slammed the door. (In front of me and the lady rolling my bag) and said that I could not get on the plane. I asked why, and she indicated that I did not want to go without my bag. I said multiple times that I wanted to get on my flight. (No one would directly speak to me.)

They then proceeded to open the door for individuals behind me one at a time until they reached the standby passengers. (They were allowed to board as well.) I was then rebooked and told to return the next morning. I called customer service multiple times and was told there was NOTHING they could do. And that they did me a "favor" by rebooking me. When I arrived at the airport the next morning, I was number 2 on the standby list HOWEVER, a family of 6 was allowed to board ahead of me. Needless to say I did not make it onto that flight and was placed on the standby list for 4pm. (Which was also a full flight). I ended up having to purchase a $650 one way and have not been able to make any progress with American Airlines. What is the purpose of having a customer service division if you will not in fact service the customer?? Hope this helps you with your future travels.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2020

I book a reservation with American Airlines as an AAdvatange member. An advantage of being a member is free baggage for 3 travelers. While make my reservation I misspelled my wife's first name. American Airlines told me a new reservation/locator had to be made for my wife. When they created a new locator, I was charge for round trip baggage. When I requested a refund, it was denied without reason. I will never fly American again.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2020

We flew from Fresno to Dallas to Nashville to visit relatives for Xmas. We arrived at the Fresno Air Terminal 2.5 hrs ahead of our scheduled flight. Upon arriving to the American a Terminal, the lines were so long. There were 2 employees checking in people. Both of them had ID badges on but were turned around so I couldn’t get their names. There were 2 kiosks for American passengers to use to bypass the long lines. Only one was working. It was taking on average 20-25 min for passengers to use the kiosk. Our line for the kiosk was about 50 passengers. I finally looked at the “broken” kiosk for American and it was flashing “needs more paper”.....so I went to the counter for American and told them we could get more passengers moving if someone could just add paper.

The response from the employees behind the counter was, “Ma’am we are too busy to address that.” After 1.5 hours in line for the kiosk, we finally dropped our bags at the counter and headed to security. That was another problem, but back to American... we boarded our flight and headed to DFW. Approx 40 min into flight, we hit some rough turbulence which scared my daughter and me quite frankly. I called the flight attendant over (which I get they couldn’t come because seat belt sign on) but a gentlemen finally came over and asked what we need. I asked him if he could reassure my daughter this was routine turbulence and she shouldn’t be scared. He simply looked at us like we were wasting his time and said, "Yes it is the winter." And he walked away.

Meanwhile my kid is telling me she won’t get on the next flight. We land and head to next gate to fly to Nashville. It’s all good until the pilot comes on and he is slurring his speech and saying some nonsensical things. I thought well maybe I am not hearing correctly. Basically we were delayed from Dallas and this guy was going to “make up for it in the air.” I could feel we were flying super fast. Ok no big deal. Then the descent. He descended so fast my husband's ears got immediate intense pain. His ears are sensitive to pressure changing so fast. My daughters already got her nails digging into my arm when the pilot touches down... we were going sooo fast it took an eternity for the plane to even slow down, I thought we were going to just crash.

Then thankfully we are alive and make our way off the plane and there stands the pilot. With the class red face and even more classic red neck just kind of leaning to one side. I knew right then this guy had to be drinking. Unbelievable. Then we go to get our bags, my daughters is missing. So we go to the appropriate lost bag window and the women says just fill out a report online. That is the only thing she could me. I wasn’t even paying attention to my bags.... at this point we went to our hotel. It is there I notice my 2 brand new London fog suitcases had black grease and footprints all over them plus one was ripped. I called American and they said take them back to the airport. There was no way in hell I was going back to the airport at that hour.

Next morning I called American again and they said I had to take the bags back to the airport for them to inspect. And I also knew they went through all of my things and I had prescription pills tossed all over. Some of which were missing. My husband couldn’t hear for 2 days, my new luggage was ruined and my daughter finally got her suitcase back (now with rips) and to top it off, my daughter was traumatized by those flights and we had no other way to get home. We did finally get home, but I really watched the employees this time and they all seemed to be hating their jobs.

The flight attendants are not friendly, don’t even make eye contact, the planes seem dated, the pilots don’t even talk to the passengers, I can’t even imagine getting really sick and relying on them to assist you with anything. They act like those micro-sized pretzels are such a gift to us, and God forbid if you need help with storing your bag. I just refuse to fly with them again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2019

American isn’t my preferred airline for obvious reasons (delays, notoriously bad service, old planes, and a lack of amenities like WiFi and tv’s), but now I’ll never spend my money with them again. They took me off an already delayed flight after I’d already boarded to examine my smart bag. I know that lithium batteries can’t be taken in the underbelly of the plane and I knew my bag would likely be checked at the gate (why I removed the battery and left it at home in the first place). When they asked me if I had a lithium battery in my bag I said “no.” They then gate checked the bag and allowed me on the plane. After everyone had been boarded (half an hour after we’d been scheduled to take off) they then called my name out on the speaker. I had to then de-board the plane and re-explain to staff that there was no lithium battery in my bag. The staff didn’t believe me citing the infallible logic: “there are ports so there’s a battery.”

I told them again and again that the battery had been removed and the charging ports—while there—were inert as they weren’t attached to the battery. STILL, I had to remove all of my clothes from the bag, and open every single compartment (of which there were many) for them to allow me to get back onto the plane. They were telling me that they might have to “rebook the flight” if my bag couldn’t get on. I don’t think I need to explain how agitated/terrified that made me. It was a terrible experience and I’ll certainly never fly with them again. So completely, horribly, ** bungled.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

I paid $2,820 so as to purchase 141,100 advantage points. These points were all forfeited because I was unable to access my account on time so as to buy more points. I am a 19 year old girl and plan to never do any business with American Airlines in the future. I wrote them 2 registered letters but never, ever received a reply. If they can't reply to letters I presume that their safety is not so good. As I live on the periferia of their services it is much more difficult for me to maintain the points. We can't get their credit cards and we can't take a very short flight like someone living in, say DFW. The amount of money that they have effectively stolen from me might not be much for them, but it is a lot for me. Just think they have stolen $2,820 from me without providing anything at all.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2019

I was traveling on American Airlines on a purchased full fare First Class ticket. When I boarded my flight I put my Tumi roller board in the overhead bin and checked to make sure the door would close, which it did. Five or so minutes later a Blond Flight Attendant, this is for identification only, because she will not give me her name, asked whose bag it was. So I said it was mine and she says “the bin will not close”. I said that I checked it when I put it in the overhead and it did close. I don’t exactly remember what she said but my seat mate got up so I could check the bag.

I pushed the door but it would not latch so I closed it with some force, like I have watched American Airlines Flight Attendants do for years. The door latch engaged and the door stayed closed. The blond flight attendant was standing seven or eight rows back in coach eyeing me. I said to her, “See it closed just fine. Are we good?”. She looked the other way. So the bin is now closed and I sit back down.

A bit later a ** Flight Attendant, for identification only because she will not give me her name either, asks if I would like water or juice before take-off? I did not want either, so I asked if I could have a Diet Coke and she says, “No it’s either water or juice”. That has never happened, when I was seated in First Class, on one of your flights in all of my years on American. Your Flight Attendant’ always get me a Diet Coke when they have a minute. Just before they closed the door I look up and the Blond Flight Attendant and the ** Flight Attendant are having a animated conversation, with the one of the members of your Flight Crew, while pointing in my direction. They are looking at some type of handheld electronic device while the conversation continued.

The Blond Flight Attendant starts walking back towards Coach. I nicely asked her for her name and she says, “We have your name and you don’t need my name”. I said ”you are refusing to give me your name”? Now here comes the ** Flight Attendant, in a hurry, and says in a loud voice, that everyone in First Class and some of Coach could hear, “You are disrespecting my Flight Attendants and I’m not going to tolerate that”. So I said that I would like her name and she says, loudly, while waving the little electronic device, “You are not getting my name and we know your name and that you are Executive Platinum”. She then added a disrespectful phrase but I didn’t actually comprehend it because I was dumbfounded by her verbal attack on me in front of everyone in the First Class section. The flight officer was still standing in the galley and I asked for him to come back to my row, so I could talk to him, but he fled to the flight deck.

I was confused because these two flight attendants were beyond angry. They had lost control of their emotions. I did not attempt any verbal exchange because frankly I believed either my safety or my ability to continue on this flight was in serious jeopardy. I have seen a number of videos of Airport Police Officers dragging passengers off planes and in none of these videos have I ever seen the Police ask the passengers for their side of the story, even when other passengers have come to their defense. My whole thought process was trying to determine what sent these to Flight Attendants into their rage and I mean rage. But nothing came to mind.

I did not have any additional interaction with these people for the balance of my flight because I don’t want to consume anything they had access. I did not accept my preordered food or any beverage because I believe that they would make an attempt to get even for whatever they believed was my transgression. After take-off the ** Flight Attendant came to my seat, evidently looking for my beverage order, but I waved her off without saying a word while listening to music through my AirPods. I did not say an additional words to another crew member of your crew or passenger, either while sitting or leaving the plane. When we landed, while awaiting the door to be opened, all of the First Class passengers were gawking at me. I did not engage any of them and continued with listening to my music.

I did report the exchange to a Customer Supervisor when I got off the plan in Charlotte. She was very sympathetic but offered no real help except suggesting I report the events to Advantage Customer Care. I have no issues with her but just talking to her for the five or ten minutes upset me and she could tell I was getting upset.

I have never been so embarrassed in my life by any American Airlines employee or by any other individual during all my years on this earth. These Flight Attendants, on this flight, were out of control and there was no one to rein them in. I can’t believe that they refused to give me their names. I also can’t believe that the member of your flight crew refused to talk to me. I have no idea if it was the Captain or the First Officer. I further can not believe that one of your Flight Attendant used her position to berate me and embarrass me, in a loud voice, in front of the entire First Class community. If there was a serious problem, with me, why didn’t the member of the flight crew, that observed the end of the incident, come to talk to me? The ** Flight Attendant continued to come back, to my seat, to ask me questions but I am refusing her attempts to engage me in any verbal exchanges. This was caused additional embarrassment. Again I have no knowledge of what she was asking because I have the noice cancelling new AirPod Pro’s.

While waiting for my connection flight to Pittsburgh I inadvertently think I discovered the trigger. On the handle of my Tumi roller board is a personalized name tag from Trump International Golf Resort, in Scotland. It is not a political ad or statement, just an identification tag with my name engraved on the back. I normally slide the tag inside the handle indentation on the roller board, when it is placed in the overhead bin, but sometimes it falls and dangles from the plastic attachment that American sent me with my Executive Platinum baggage tags. When I got up to check the my roller board that tag was in the dangling position.

It is my opinion, that something, that caught the attention of this Blond Flight Attendant, as she was moving from First Class to Coach, was my Trump International name tag. The reason I believe this is that she was not actively doing any of her duties, as far as I could tell, when she stopped to ask who owned the suitcase. I believe that when she saw the Trump International Golf Resort tag it set off her combative action and verbal assault. I further believe than when I fixed the problem, of the bin not closing and said to her “See it closed just fine”. That she decided to teach me a lesson and enlisted the ** Flight Attendant to help her further embarrass me in front of my fellow passengers.

If I was so disruptive why didn’t they call the Airport Police? This was an assault, on me by your people, using their position and authority, as weapons against one of your most loyal CUSTOMERS traveling on a personally purchased First Class ticket. I will assure you that this situation is not going away until some acceptable resolution is presented to me.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

I was on a flight from Leon Mexico to Dallas. While on the flight I had an empty seat next to me in first class. Don't ask me why, but I took my money clip out of my pocket, with cash, credit cards, and driver's license and put it on the seat next to me. Of course in my hurry to get thru customs and onto my next flight I forgot about it as I had put a newspaper over the top of it. So, I get thru customs and on my way to my next flight realize what I had done. I went to a AA customer service desk and they were absolutely unbelievable. They called the gate and they had the money clip. They then sent a "runner" to the gate and pick up the money clip and then met me back outside of customs and handed me the money clip. No cash was missing.... and I tried to give the runner $100.... she wouldn't take it. I made my connecting flight. Unbelievable!

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

Below is a letter I sent to AA only to get a response saying, "We have documented this issue and will give a voucher for the UM minor fee." On 12/2/19, my 9 yo daughter was traveling from Madrid>DFW>SFO. I get a call at 11pm PST stating that she cannot check in due to the unaccompanied minor fee not being paid. When I booked this flight it was mandatory that both unaccompanied minor fees were paid for both ways. While on the phone with the agent she confirmed both ways were paid. Unfortunately when I was sent my trip confirmation unaccompanied minor doesn’t show up on that. After receiving the phone call I immediately called the airlines to fix this problem and was told that somehow the system must have dropped the unaccompanied minor for the trip back.

At that time I offered to pay this fee and was told that they could not take my payment over the phone!!! So here I have my 9yo daughter in Spain and I can’t pay for her to get here. NOT OK AT ALL. I then suggested that this fee be waived since this was American Airlines' fault, the agent also mentioned that she could not do this as well. Again, there is a 9yo little girl stuck at the airport very upset because she thinks she isn’t coming home. Thank god a stranger ended up paying for her unaccompanied minor fee at the gate in Spain. If this very generous person didn’t take care of this my child would be stuck alone in a foreign country.

NEXT ISSUE… My daughter gets to DFW at 1:35PM. Her next flight is scheduled to leave DFW at 4:49. After 13 delays the new time to depart is 11:05PM. 10 hours she is sitting in the airport and during this time she was not in the unaccompanied minor room, they had her sitting in the gate area ALONE. I had called the gate multiple times to make sure she was ok and that someone there had fed her. I was told she was fed a cookie, chips and some soda, she was NOT fed a hot meal. I then asked where she was and was told she was asleep in a chair next to the gate!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!. Anyone could have picked her up and taken her. There is a huge issue with human trafficking in Texas, but yet my 9yo was left in the main area and not in the unaccompanied minor room where she should have been.

At this point I finally get a hold of a manager named Coco. She apologized for everything and took my daughter to get a hot meal and back to the UM room. (7 hours too late). In addition my daughter was mingling with people at the gate and even ate with some random family. Coco was the only amazing thing about this trip home for my daughter. No one called me to update me, no one tried to get this 9yo on another flight to another nearby airport. I looked up the other flights and plenty went out before flight 2393

I am beyond livid and I am very close to seeking legal counsel. Where in American Airlines' mind is any of this ok. You put my child in great danger. I will never ever fly your airlines again and will make sure others are aware of the horrible customer service with your airlines. I did receive a voucher for the UM service, however I would like a full refund.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

PLEASE RETIRE the 767-300 from Miami to Montevideo. 9 hour flight NO TV, NO entertainment, old seats very tight together, smallest leg room I have experienced, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE.... IT IS TIME TO RETIRE THIS AIRCRAFT IMMEDIATELY!!!!!

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

I have kept my American Airlines AAAdvantage miles active for over a decade. Over the past year they added a button to their system and somehow they deleted or lost my award miles transactions. The transactions do not matter to me, however they keep my larger balance active. Also when they updated their database, they changed my email address to a very old email address. As such since they mailed their messages to a non-existent email and lost my transactions, they cancelled my miles. Their calling system voice recognition system was also completely broken when I called. The calls continued for many days and each department shuffled me to another department and took no action on the root cause of the problem. I do not have time to call them a 9th time to fix their issue and reinstate my paltry number of 8000 miles.

They seriously need to merge their Customer Service systems from at least 5 separate call centers to 1, have a working escalation system to solve problems and address customers' needs without alienating them. My brother happened to build their original system which worked great back many years ago and I am annoyed that now AAAdvantage no longer functions. The call center reps tried hard actually, but whoever is giving them instructions on what to fix and separating out their responsibilities has created a broken customer support system which I never want to deal with again.

They took off their eshopping segment during Black Friday in 2019 on the business shopping day of the year. On the bright side they fixed the email issue (after it had its impact) and repaired the broken voice recognition system, however the primary issue of restoring the 8000 miles which were mistakenly removed was not resolved and they kept making up issues to cover themselves instead of seriously working to fix the problem. They blamed multiple users when there is only one user on my account or computer. Each department shifted the blame to another Customer Service Department over and over. They kept stating they could do nothing and there was no reasonable escalation method to follow.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

My company booked a flight from Tuscon to Portland on American Airlines and when I got to the airport to my surprise it cost me $30 just to check a bag, then being 10 lbs over it cost me another $100, or I was asked if I wanted to remove 10 lbs, I supposed I could of thrown my dirty clothes away, but I figured it would of cost me more to replace those clothes. Those days of free checked bags are gone. Most airlines allow a free checked bag, but not American.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2019

This was not a good experience. I purchased a flight that left later than I had intended (the mobile app was difficult to use and I assumed I'd be able to resolve the issue by speaking with a person), and tried to change it to the correct one at the airport (to a flight departing from the same gate, slightly earlier which was not at full capacity). I explained my situation to the desk agent and later to a CSR on AA's hotline, and was told that they couldn't help change the flight but I was free to buy a ticket for $210 for the earlier flight if I wanted.

What? How does that seem reasonable at all? I understand that flights fill up, but if there are still seats available (AA would be happy to sell me one) I don't understand what is to be gained by being unhelpful as a policy. I'll obviously wait the two hours at the airport before giving AA another cent, and never fly with American again - I guess service just isn't what it used to be. Thanks for nothing, AA.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2019

Delayed nearly 6 hours. The flight before ours got delayed 20 hours. Wifi is way, WAY slower than Jetblue, getting about <1 mbps and jetblue got 20+ mbps. The plane does not allow Netflix, Youtube, and Hulu on wifi, but we got lucky and got a newer plane, it has wall outlets, usb ports and all the bells and whistles. They have screens with games and live tv. I probably wont fly with them ever again.

American Airlines Company Information