1.09/5
Based on 32 reviews that contain star ratings

AARP Pharmacy

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

41 AARP Pharmacy Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

The several times I've been on the phone totaled to 7 hours... First, they told me because I moved, I was not covered in another state. I call and changed the address before I left. Then I was told I need to reinstate. When I thought I've already done it I was told everything should be as usual other than the change of address... Then they called me up saying I owe money from Feb of 2017 a year??? That is a year and a half ago. How do they come up with that when I have everything on auto pay. They have no explanation as to how hey came up with that amount. Well!!! I paid it because it was less than $90 and I did not want to be on the phone again... After 2 weeks, they send me a bill saying I owed money again??? I am on auto pay!!! This is a bad joke or something. Who do they hire to work in the billing dept??? Up to now, there is no answers... And the phone center is in the Philippines or somewhere in the Far East.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I have been trying to get my Medicare-United Healthcare Part D prescriptions sent to me since June. United Healthcare farms this service out to Optum Mail Orders. For the past three weeks I have made 12 hour-long phone calls to these people and have followed their instructions in detail. First, they sent faxes to my doctors several times using the wrong number, then claimed my doctor did not respond. The doctors never-ever received any information even after being told by Optum it had been sent.

There is no follow-up with this company. If they have a problem they simply cancel the order without telling you, and you must start over again, and again, and again. If you want good service, go with a mail order pharmacy like Express Scripts. I had been using them for the past five years and never had any of these types of problems, with this level of incompetence. I have just been told my 'expedited' prescriptions are now coming in two weeks. Sure they are...

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2018

So far, these past several months, I have been unable to fill prescriptions that I need to take because everything seems to be non covered by United Health Care, or it is a tier 4 and costs me $400+ for 30 day supply. The company does not seem to be based in America anymore, has no English speaking reps when I call on the telephone. To make matters worse, the premium for this plan has skyrocketed this year. I used to pay $39 per month but this year the cost has jumped to $72.60 per month. I am a retired senior citizen, on Medicare and a small pension (but not small enough to qualify for any financial aid). This company has to be driven out of healthcare business. They are shamefully ** their customers.

Original review: April 24, 2018

AARP United Healthcare Rx Plan: This is truly the worst plan I have ever had. most of my med are no longer covered. Also why is it that I paid in American money, but I get someone in India? I have to call 3 to 4x a week just to keep asking for info that have not been sent. Then after I called and tried to talk to "the help" and told her 3x not, NOT to send or change my for an order that cost me $175.00 plus bank fees. This is the type of company that should be closed. It's hard enough to be on SSDI let alone have to fight for meds because no one listens to you (will maybe if they spoke English). I have filed a complaint once already and will be once again. Saying you have sub-par service would to say you have some kind of service. But this company has NO service.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Per doctor's order after surgery need pain medication. Went to Walgreens to fill the prescription for Generic 20 ** tablets. Upon picking up the prescription I was told the cost would be $9.04. With my previous Medicare plan, Cigna Healthcare, the price I was paying for 15 tablets was $1.02. UnitedHealthcare could not explain why the price difference. What it is price gouging by the UnitedHealthcare and Walgreens. Will submit to FDA and Medicare this issue.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

AARP United Medical Part D. I just turned 65 and was very afraid of Medicare. As I had to sign up, I listed all my medications and three of them that were on the list and approved were denied after I took the time to go to the Dr and obtain my legally written prescriptions. I have to say these were not narcotics, just medications to cure pain I had. So it seems we get screwed again, income tax, now insurance. Those holding office should subscribe to Medicare for 6 months to see if they don' blow a gasket and get lost in the red tape.

Original review: April 14, 2017

While my bank shows regular eft deductions, I have received 3 letters saying my bank turned down the eft request (both the bank and AARP website show my premiums as paid by eft). When I got the third false non-payment letter, I called customer service. The account number the representative gave me over the phone was completely wrong. The number must have been right at some point as they have been regularly deducting premium payments from my checking account. I gave him the correct account number to pay for the next month and he said I would have to send in paperwork and a cancelled check to sign up again for eft.

While I was on hold, I went to the online site, and resubmitted my eft info in about 2 minutes. The customer service call took over 15 minutes. I never received a proper explanation of HOW the company had managed to completely boggle my checking account number, yet still managed to receive EFT payments. A most unsatisfactory experience.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2017

I first joined AARP, United Healthcare Rx plan. I didn't have any problems except they wanted more & more money for premiums. I quit them & joined Symphonix. The plan was reasonable but then merged with AARP. On the 1st, I received 5 different letters about what I was to pay. When I got that straightened out, I found out that I had to pay $650 for a RA medicine every month, that I needed to move. I'm over 65 & on a limited income but I seem to be stuck with them & can't receive any outside help because I have a "Perscription plan" already. So now I'm in constant pain since I can't afford the medication that I need.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

I have had a Medicare Part D plan with AARP / United Healthcare / OptumRx for one month now. It is by far the worst prescription drug coverage I have ever had. I have had a chronic illness for 20 years and have a lot of experience with insurance companies. OptumRx is refusing to cover treatment I have received for 20 years even though it is in their formulary. They have refused another Rx after appeal as well. Will be canceling my policy and suggest you avoid this company. In addition, communication is near impossible and they even have an incorrect Customer Service phone number on my card.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2017

Recently I ordered ** from my AARP Medicare RX Plan which is a PDP plan. When I received my order I found that they had substituted a generic drug called ** without informing me or my doctor. Under my PDP plan I have a copayment of $90 for a tier 3 preferred drug such as ** (90 day supply) and a zero copayment for tier 1 and tier 2 generic drugs, however United charged me $90 for the generic. At first I thought it was just a billing error, but when I contacted them they said to them ** was a tier 3 preferred drug and it made no difference if the drug is a generic which is stated on the drug's website. Even on the bottle that was sent to me it states that ** is a generic for **.

Why United calls it a tier 3 preferred drug instead of a generic is beyond me. I guess it all relates to the fact that they can make more money calling it a preferred drug instead of what it really is - a GENERIC. When I requested they send me information, in writing that supported their claim, they refused. Evidently they can't support the reasoning behind their decision.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2017

I am a senior, single woman, close to 68 years of age. I have very limited income and am not currently employed, but drawing SSI of $1300 a month. When I researched, as much as possible, the "best" prescription drug plan, I was told by my local pharmacist that the AARP United Plan was the "best" so I signed up for the Preferred Plan.

On 11/1/2014, the price was $47.70 per month, which lasted for 2 months. On 1/1/2015, the plan monthly payment increased to $53.90 per month -- an increase of 13%. On 1/1/16, the plan increased to $58.80, which was an increase of 9%. I just went to pay my premium for January 2017, and the plan price increased by close to 25%!!! I am now obliged to pay $72.70.per month! In order to "do the math" I would have to spend HUGE amounts of time, but my best guess is that the AARP United Plan is a huge rip-off.

I need a ** prescription for a cough medicine for a persistent upper respiratory infection for which United pays virtually nothing. I've simply stopped getting the prescription as I can't afford it -- I hack and cough as I know it will not be covered. My physician has prescribed a non-generic medication. In order for him to prescribe a generic medication, It would take oodles of paper work. I go to a low-cost clinic which takes Medicare, and I imagine the paperwork would take several months.

IF -- big IF -- I had the time to "do the math" my best guess is that I would find that UNITED AARP Preferred Prescription Plan is making money off of me -- based on what I would pay for prescriptions WITHOUT the coverage: a near 25% increase in ONE year!!! They justify this by saying that: if you go to another plan you will have a big deductible to pay so this is still the "best plan." My bet is that there is "pay to play" involved here. Big pharmacies tell their customers that AARP United is the "best" plan out there. Far from the truth...Money involved??? I think of the title of a Tommy Lee Jones movie: "No Country for Old People." We're living it...

Original review: Jan. 6, 2017

Was not informed at time of enrollment that my prescription drugs could not be filled at Barth's Pharmacy in East Moriches.... nor was Barth's Pharmacy informed of same. I found out yesterday, 1/5/17, which too late to change prescription plans. But....if you are not enrolled in any plans, you can enroll anytime. Is that fair? I am not satisfied with this system and I want to know why Barth's Pharmacy is not included with AARP.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2016

I have been having bad back pain since 1995. They prescribe me different meds as I find out I have allergic reactions to some. Others don't work. I just had an MRI that show's my L4 and 5 are protruding 7mms and pinching on my nerves on the right. I am literally in tears from the pain. I called because after trying some 20 odd meds, my Dr. has decided to treat me on ** and **. They say I have to try 2 meds on their formulary which I did. The ** makes me sleep all day and the ** patches last 1 day not 3.

I feel like a guinea pig and am still in extreme severe pain. It is now radiating down my legs and they say the only way I can get ** is to file an appeal, and it still isn't a guarantee to be approved. This is how they are treating us disabled senior citizens, worse than non-American's. I will be switching to another prescription plan as soon as I can. Then I can't get name brand. It has to be generic. The generic form is always less effective than the name brand. Why do they treat us like this???

Original review: May 26, 2016

The service through OptumRx has deteriorated dramatically since we first started with them. Every time we have to order a prescription or have one refilled it has turned into delay after delay. Their mail order pharmacy apparently is being run by people who don't know what they are doing. Our doctor's office faxed a prescription a week ago - received confirmation from OptumRx that the prescription was received. We never received the prescription - check online and no prescription showing. Called OptumRx and they said they never received the prescription. Called the doctor's office and they assured me that the prescription had gone through. They resent the prescription, received confirmation and telephoned me to let me know that it had been done.

Checking with Optumrx this morning, they say no prescription. There is obviously a big problem at OptumRx. Called AARP/UnitedHealthcare who are the ones taking our monthly payment for Part D - the people who answer the phone there are just call service employees and could care less. Shame on you AARP - UnitedHealthcare and OptumRx. Can hardly wait until the new enrollment period because we will be making a change.

Original review: March 24, 2016

United HealthCare is absolutely horrible!! Last fall, during open enrollment, I gave them all of my prescriptions and dosages. I spent hundreds of hours, along with my relatives, reviewing different Part D plans. I was told by a United HealthCare CSR in November 2015 that ALL of my medications would be covered. However, as soon as 1-1-16 rolled around, 3 of my regular prescriptions were denied. I now have to deal with 3 separate companies for my prescription appeals/grievances: United HealthCare, OptumRx and Maximus. It's exhausting.

Because we are seniors, Big Pharma just hopes we will just cave in and give up. I have been waiting over six weeks for my prescriptions. I have been given 5 different fax numbers, 7 different addresses, and 6 different phone numbers for United HealthCare appeals. I am contacting the state insurance commissioner, the Medicare Rights Center, Sen. Barbara Boxer, and Attorney General Kamala Harris for assistance. I really need my medications.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2016

I have used this lousy online service for three years and each year it gets worse and worse. They take forever to process your orders when order a refill, they take forever to ship your prescriptions to you and when you have to call in to complain they take forever to connect with you. I'm going to Walgreens with the hope of getting better service than this crappy online provides.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2015

AARP MedicareRx preferred [pdp] by United Health Care, P.O. Box 29300, Hot Springs, AR 71903-9300. This outfit is a rip-off and should be investigated by AARP and our government. Their premiums are too high and their co-pay is also. Their customer service is polite but has excuses for everything. For 2013 my wife and I paid out over $1000 per month for health insurance and drug cost. Since then I have made several changes, get some from Canada [no insurance] at much less cost. As of Sept. 2015 their report states they paid 285.12, and I paid 833.12. Their prem for 2016 will be 783.60 for the year and the co-pay is higher on everything. Needless to say I will change for 2016. There are many plans out there for much less cost to consumers.

Original review: April 20, 2015

I started with the AARP Pharmacy plan and after 2 years I came to the conclusion there were better plans and at less money. First I called them to tell them I would not be renewing my plan however they kept billing me for payments. I hadn't used the RX program in probably over a year and by not paying their monthly fee there should have not been any RX service. I figured wrong as they now have a collection agency after me for payment of something I never wanted or used. My credit is excellent as I always pay on time or upfront but AARP Pharmacy does not care about their customer. You are a Medicare number and their major concern is about those premiums coming in every month. If you do decide to go with them, you will get a taste of their care for you when dealing with their service department.

Original review: March 20, 2015

Intolerable waiting time for simple phone inquiry. Ronald from VA wrote on 01/17/15: HAVE HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE TWICE!! [Been a Customer even longer!] [AND: would have added "Reply," but THAT didn't even work!]

Original review: March 13, 2015

AARP INSURANCE IS SCREWING THIS SENIOR!! In their pharmacy they are charging me for two months of prescriptions, but I only get a 30 day supply. You see I get my injections for diabetes in a 10 ml vial. I have to get 3 vials to last me a month. 3 vials is more than I need. 3 vials last 1 month and 1 week, so I have to pay for an extra month of medicine, even though it is only 1 week worth of meds. I ask if they sold the vials in different sizes - No. I WONDER HOW MANY OTHERS ARE GETTING A SCREWING?

Original review: March 3, 2015

Co-pay on ** went from around $5 to $25. When I called their provider customer service nicely said that's now what it is. They suggested I contact AARP. Tried to do that three different ways with no luck. Maybe I can do OK without the drug? Not a good experience.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2015

My mom is due a refund from MedicareRx. My sister and I have been promised that a check will arrive for my mom going back to July 2014. There have been five phone calls of one to two hours each during that period. Each time we call, the answer is the same: give us six to eight weeks. My mom paid all her bills on time; is this how the company treats its elderly customers?

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

Enrolled 2 weeks ago and received the welcome book before ID cards and member info, which is supposed to come first. Called and spoke to a customer service agent and she was barely paying attention to me and showed not much concern for my issue at all. She said, "just wait a couple more days and it should be there." Not apologetic at all about their mistake. Very poor customer service.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2015

Every time I call, I am put on hold for a very long period of time. Today I call with a question about EFT and waited for almost 15 minutes, which is short and was told she would have to transfer me and I was on hold for 40 minutes when I was disconnected. I called back and waited for 1 hour and 6 minutes, finally I just gave up. I have been with you for over 2 years but I will be changing my service next year if this is the way you plan to treat your customers. By the way I can prove what I am saying with my Cellphone bill. It's not just this time but also all the time. You can call me. I am tired of being put on hold. You have my information.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2015

I joined AARP medicare prescription drug program by United Health Care. Besides having an extremely serious and painful neurological condition called CRPS/RSD, besides already having 3 open heart surgeries, being in heart failure, needing a heart transplant, I then came down with a severe case of CRPS, which besides leaving me almost completely debilitated, the extreme breakthrough pain from the CRPS is putting as my DR. wrote a letter, that without the ** oral transmucosal 1600mcg 4 times a day for the breakthrough pain, which has now put me in heart failure making a transplant vital. I've been on this medication for almost 4 yrs now, and even on the Mcgill chronic pain scale index, it is at the top at 48 out of 50! Nothing is higher! There is NO cure, and with my already weakened heart, the tremendous pain and stress this is putting on my already failing heart.

Do they want a 40yr old father of a 10yr old son who cries and prays every night, that his father get this medicine BEFORE something bad happens, also have a wife that needs me. Before I joined AARP, I spoke with their prior authorization dept., and they told me as long as I have a letter from my Dr. stating my life is at risk w/o this VITAL medicine, but sure enough, they denied it, I filed an expedited appeal and I am awaiting their decision.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2014

I called today to inquire about changes in Rx insurance & had my land line phone volume all the way up & could hardly hear the representative and had to ask her to speak loudly while I am NOT hard at hearing. Her voice was hardly recognized as if she had a stuffed nose, representatives dealing with public should have a clear & concise voice to be heard and understood. My previous experience was very pleasant except this time. Maybe each supervisor should check his or her staff for their voice clarity before the start of their shift. I was about to hang up & call again hoping to get a representative with clear voice.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2014

I got a pharmacy discount card though AARP. When I check to see what the price of the drug would be with the discount which was said to be 38% the price was more than the normal price. So much for a discount.

Original review: May 15, 2014

I pay $40 a month for coverage, my husband pays $20 for Humana. He and I take same drug, except his costs $11 per month, and mine is $40. When you call for help they are either ignorant of drugs and/or unkind. Can't wait to drop this coverage. Also will drop medication until I get with a different plan.

Original review: April 7, 2014

Out of the blue, AARP dropped several of my meds from their formulary and pushed others into a more expensive tier. One of my drugs went to $168.00 (for 30 pills) a month because it was removed from their formulary. My doctor and pharmacy worked together to get the drug okayed for use, which didn't take very long, but once it was okayed the cost to me is now $136.00. So I still can't afford it. I'm now paying more than 50% of the cost of my prescriptions. My share is more than the insurance is paying. I can't wait to drop these people. Please, please don't sign up for AARP's insurance. With these people I'm going to hit my doughnut hole this year.

Original review: July 12, 2013

I used these meds for years. Once I signed up with AARP Medicare suppl. drug plan, all of a sudden (JULY), I needed a pre-auth. It takes 72 hours to approve or deny. They denied it. Then it takes 72 hours (if expedited) or 7 days regular for their appeals process. Bottom line... it is now the middle of the month and I still do not have my meds. When I signed up for this insurance during open enrollment, there was no pre-auth for this medication. I will not have this insurance next year.

AARP Pharmacy Company Information