1.09/5

AARP Pharmacy

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

42 AARP Pharmacy Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 17, 2019

As a disabled individual, I have had Medicare Part A and B alongside Medicaid most of my life. In 2013 I was automatically enrolled into a Medicare RX Plan through AARP that was paid for by Medicare. Apparently, in 2018 the cost of the program increased to $4.10 above what Medicare was willing to pay for. The problem is, no one ever told me this in advance nor was I ever given an option to refuse. I am told a letter was sent to inform me, but even if that is true, as I understand "slamming" is an illegal practice where a policy change is made without explicit permission. Sending a letter, and then changing it because I did not receive or respond to a letter, is wrong.

Then, on June 17th 2019 I received a bill with a due date of July 1st for $58.80. After an hour on the phone, I learned of the above facts of the case, but they were neither willing to waive this bill nor assure me that they would wait for my permission in the future. Worse, for the entire life of the account they were paid thousands of dollars on my behalf for the policy but only paid around $40 meaning they asked for me to pay more than what I would otherwise have to pay for out of pocket while having received thousands of dollars, and even then they had zero interest in working with me to retain me as a customer.

While the agent I spoke with wasn't rude, and appeared to do as much as she could, I found the situation unacceptable. My disability is severely affected by stress and the possibility of having this happen again was too dangerous to my health to allow, so I cancelled my policy immediately. Even though it would not have hurt me to keep it until the end of this year, I find their business practice to be untrustworthy. I paid the amount they billed me for, but not because I agree with the bill or even because I could afford it. Rather, it is because of the fear of damage to my credit report. I do not believe I should have had to pay this as I never agreed to the amount prior to billing.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

The several times I've been on the phone totaled to 7 hours... First, they told me because I moved, I was not covered in another state. I call and changed the address before I left. Then I was told I need to reinstate. When I thought I've already done it I was told everything should be as usual other than the change of address... Then they called me up saying I owe money from Feb of 2017 a year??? That is a year and a half ago. How do they come up with that when I have everything on auto pay. They have no explanation as to how hey came up with that amount. Well!!! I paid it because it was less than $90 and I did not want to be on the phone again... After 2 weeks, they send me a bill saying I owed money again??? I am on auto pay!!! This is a bad joke or something. Who do they hire to work in the billing dept??? Up to now, there is no answers... And the phone center is in the Philippines or somewhere in the Far East.

Get expert buying tips about Online Pharmacies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2018

I have been trying to get my Medicare-United Healthcare Part D prescriptions sent to me since June. United Healthcare farms this service out to Optum Mail Orders. For the past three weeks I have made 12 hour-long phone calls to these people and have followed their instructions in detail. First, they sent faxes to my doctors several times using the wrong number, then claimed my doctor did not respond. The doctors never-ever received any information even after being told by Optum it had been sent.

There is no follow-up with this company. If they have a problem they simply cancel the order without telling you, and you must start over again, and again, and again. If you want good service, go with a mail order pharmacy like Express Scripts. I had been using them for the past five years and never had any of these types of problems, with this level of incompetence. I have just been told my 'expedited' prescriptions are now coming in two weeks. Sure they are...

Original review: July 9, 2018

So far, these past several months, I have been unable to fill prescriptions that I need to take because everything seems to be non covered by United Health Care, or it is a tier 4 and costs me $400+ for 30 day supply. The company does not seem to be based in America anymore, has no English speaking reps when I call on the telephone. To make matters worse, the premium for this plan has skyrocketed this year. I used to pay $39 per month but this year the cost has jumped to $72.60 per month. I am a retired senior citizen, on Medicare and a small pension (but not small enough to qualify for any financial aid). This company has to be driven out of healthcare business. They are shamefully ** their customers.

Original review: April 24, 2018

AARP United Healthcare Rx Plan: This is truly the worst plan I have ever had. most of my med are no longer covered. Also why is it that I paid in American money, but I get someone in India? I have to call 3 to 4x a week just to keep asking for info that have not been sent. Then after I called and tried to talk to "the help" and told her 3x not, NOT to send or change my for an order that cost me $175.00 plus bank fees. This is the type of company that should be closed. It's hard enough to be on SSDI let alone have to fight for meds because no one listens to you (will maybe if they spoke English). I have filed a complaint once already and will be once again. Saying you have sub-par service would to say you have some kind of service. But this company has NO service.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Per doctor's order after surgery need pain medication. Went to Walgreens to fill the prescription for Generic 20 ** tablets. Upon picking up the prescription I was told the cost would be $9.04. With my previous Medicare plan, Cigna Healthcare, the price I was paying for 15 tablets was $1.02. UnitedHealthcare could not explain why the price difference. What it is price gouging by the UnitedHealthcare and Walgreens. Will submit to FDA and Medicare this issue.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

AARP United Medical Part D. I just turned 65 and was very afraid of Medicare. As I had to sign up, I listed all my medications and three of them that were on the list and approved were denied after I took the time to go to the Dr and obtain my legally written prescriptions. I have to say these were not narcotics, just medications to cure pain I had. So it seems we get screwed again, income tax, now insurance. Those holding office should subscribe to Medicare for 6 months to see if they don' blow a gasket and get lost in the red tape.

Original review: April 14, 2017

While my bank shows regular eft deductions, I have received 3 letters saying my bank turned down the eft request (both the bank and AARP website show my premiums as paid by eft). When I got the third false non-payment letter, I called customer service. The account number the representative gave me over the phone was completely wrong. The number must have been right at some point as they have been regularly deducting premium payments from my checking account. I gave him the correct account number to pay for the next month and he said I would have to send in paperwork and a cancelled check to sign up again for eft.

While I was on hold, I went to the online site, and resubmitted my eft info in about 2 minutes. The customer service call took over 15 minutes. I never received a proper explanation of HOW the company had managed to completely boggle my checking account number, yet still managed to receive EFT payments. A most unsatisfactory experience.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2017

I first joined AARP, United Healthcare Rx plan. I didn't have any problems except they wanted more & more money for premiums. I quit them & joined Symphonix. The plan was reasonable but then merged with AARP. On the 1st, I received 5 different letters about what I was to pay. When I got that straightened out, I found out that I had to pay $650 for a RA medicine every month, that I needed to move. I'm over 65 & on a limited income but I seem to be stuck with them & can't receive any outside help because I have a "Perscription plan" already. So now I'm in constant pain since I can't afford the medication that I need.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

I have had a Medicare Part D plan with AARP / United Healthcare / OptumRx for one month now. It is by far the worst prescription drug coverage I have ever had. I have had a chronic illness for 20 years and have a lot of experience with insurance companies. OptumRx is refusing to cover treatment I have received for 20 years even though it is in their formulary. They have refused another Rx after appeal as well. Will be canceling my policy and suggest you avoid this company. In addition, communication is near impossible and they even have an incorrect Customer Service phone number on my card.

AARP Pharmacy Company Information