3.3/5 (838 ratings)

About JoS. A. Bank Clothiers

JoS. A. Bank Clothiers Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about JoS. A. Bank Clothiers?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about JoS. A. Bank Clothiers?

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

I went to the store to purchase new clothes for a wedding. I asked the younger gentleman where I could find what I was looking for. He walked me over to the part of the store where what I was interested in was, pointed to them, and then walked away. He started looking and texting on his phone. I looked at my wife, we both shook our heads in disbelief and walked out of the store. I’ll never ever go back. There’s plenty of other places to spend my money!

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

Worst experience in my history of ordering online! Will never buy anything from this clueless people ever again. Ordered a Christmas gift on Dec 2. 3 weeks go by and they have no idea where my order is. They reissued a refulfillment and assured me it would be here on time for Christmas, well it wasn’t! Now they’re saying I get it on Dec 27th. Stay out of the retail market, you have no idea what you’re doing! Customers should take their businesses elsewhere. This place is a joke!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

About a month ago, I ordered a sweater for my dad from JoS A Bank. Weeks went by and he had not received it, and then I got an email saying they received my returned purchase and would give me a refund. We never got the sweater, so we couldn't have returned it. I called and the associate told me Fed Ex lost the package and Jos A Bank would just refund the purchase. I asked him to just send the sweater again. He assured me it would be rushed delivered, free of charge, within three days. Another week went by. No sweater. I then received an email asking me to review the sweater - which we still hadn't seen!

I called again and was on hold for over 20 minutes. A new associate tells me the sweater was refunded even though I told them last week I wanted a replacement, not a refund. He tells me he will replace the sweater and have it rush delivered (sound familiar?). It is now two days before Christmas and I still have no idea if my dad will be getting his gift on time, if at all. What I do know is that I will not be ordering from Jos A Bank ever again. Clearly, they have some systemic issues to work out if they want to save their business. Getting emails saying one thing, associates saying another, and virtually no clear communication volunteered without me having to hunt it down is more than enough to dissuade me from wasting my time with this company in the future. You can have the nicest associates in the world, but if problems like these persist it won't make a difference. Zero stars.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

Had an issue on Dec. 3 regarding damaged sweaters delivered by FedEx. I needed a waiver from J.A.Bank for Fedex to honor my claim. I went from Dallas, to Alice, to Marvin, to Kevin. Passing the buck is their STALLING TECHNIQUE. 12/21 STILL STALLING?

Original review: Dec. 6, 2019

First of all, I ordered (and paid for) monogramming. Didn't get it. Also, their shirts are virtually all, save one button-down, "non-iron." Well guess what, I don't want non-iron. Get some normal shirts **. On the pro side, the order was promptly shipped and the shirts were all the correct ones that I ordered...

Original review: Dec. 4, 2019

Joke of a business. Online order cancelled again with no explanation, it’s like the 8th time. I even verified the order was processed successfully with their text support right after I placed the order. ** terrible. I give up, time to end it all. Burn it down.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

Went to buy a suit, they didn't have my size. They instead sold me a sport coat and pants. I selected a coat and pants, then I was told it was a buy one get one free. I chose a second coat and pants. The second choice would take longer to pick up. I was charged over $700. I picked up my first choice and today went to pick up my second choice. All I received was the coat. They told me they never charged me for the pants. I was extremely upset. I will never go back. This was the downtown Houston store.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

This company has the worst online service I have ever encountered. I must have placed 10 orders from their almost weekly sales and every time I get an "order canceled" email within a week of placing the order. When I call to find out why I get a whole bunch of different excuses. They are running a scam. IF I COULD I WOULD GIVE THEM ZERO STARS.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2019

Good prices on sale. High Quality and easy to order online. Even the sale items offer a good selection. You can buy a polo shirt for 80% off of original retail. Shipping to good. One caveat is that much of the sales items are fitted.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2019

Purchased a pair of shoes on sale at josbank.com. They charged my credit card then two days later, I received a cancellation notice with no explanation. Really??? When I contacted them, they claimed that they ran out of inventory since my order. They would not work with me to provide a comparable replacement. They admitted it was their inventory error, but couldn't care less the impact on the customer. Why shop with a brand that treats people this way? I know I won't be shopping with them again. Buyer beware.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I ordered 2 pairs of shoes yesterday and today I get an email that they cancelled my order, with no explanation. So I called customer service and they said they don’t keep track of their inventory and they sell things even if they don’t have them in stock.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2019

I ordered two suits online and they cancelled both orders without explanation or notice. They lowered the price after the first cancellation to induce me to order it again and then subsequently cancelled that order. They gave me some ridiculous reason for the cancellation and tried to get me to order it a third time. I don’t know what policy they use to incentivize their employees, but it appears to be a scam to boost their sale numbers. It was by far the worst customer service experience I’ve ever encountered, and I will never shop at this store ever again.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

The store visited was located in Midlothian,VA. Our salesperson was rude and condescending. Only one style of jacket was offered and only in colors/fabrics he deemed appropriate. I was dissuaded to engage in the shopping experience, as only he knew what was fashionable. Interaction with this salesperson was terse and uncomfortable. Too bad as we had multiple items to buy. I'll never revisit a JoS A. Bank store. Please consider shopping anywhere else.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

Saratoga Springs, NY is a very busy and popular place to be at all times of the year especially on Broadway where all the shops are. An employee of JoS. A. Bank was obviously having a bad day and took it out on an elderly man that was sitting on a bench in front of the store. He spit in his face and used some very unnecessary language with this gentleman. Not sure of what had happened prior to what was witnessed and what was captured on video, this employee did not hold his part in representing this company to full standards. In the video it shows the employee tearing off his jacket as if he was going to fight the gentleman on the side walk & spit in his face yelling at him with obscenities. I will not recommend this store to anyone visiting our city. What a disgrace!

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

Unwelcoming and discriminatory. I visited the store to purchase a suit, and got a very unfriendly welcome. I am ** and was wearing shorts and a t-shirt (common it's a very hot summer), and right away I felt like I didn't belong by the attitude of the sales lady.

Original review: July 28, 2019

About eight weeks ago, I visited the Joseph Banks store in Asheville North Carolina at their store in Biltmore Village. I have been a loyal Joseph A Banks customer for nearly thirty years, so I felt very comfortable visiting this store in such a historic setting - hoping for a similar experience with the Banks store located in Chevy Chase Maryland. Unfortunately for me, this store seems to have forgotten about providing great customer service. It started when I selected two pairs of beautiful pants. The only requirement was to hem the bottoms and order my size. Did not seem to be a very tall order, but I had a meeting out of town coming up, so it I was certain that they could meet my timeline. They told me that they would order the pants and call me when they arrived. About two weeks later, I noticed that no one had called me, so I called them.

They informed me that the pants were in, and I drove to the store (about a fifteen minute drive) only to find out that only a single pair of pants had come in, and they would follow up and let me know when the second pair arrived so that I could have them altered as well. They measured me for the first pair, and told me that they would be ready in about a week and that they would call me when ready. About one week later, I called (still no call from Banks), and they told me that it might be a few more days. A few days later, I called (still no call from Banks), and they told me that the other pants were in. When I arrived, I tried on the pants - way too short and I asked them to lengthen them by 1/2".

After a quick re-do, they told me that they did not have to measure for the other pants because they would simply alter them to the first pair measurements, and that they would call me when ready. Still no call from Banks. It has now been eight weeks since my first visit, and I went back to the store to try on the second pair of pants. Much to my dismay, they were much too short again! My wife thought that this was a joke. My patience was wearing thin, so I asked them simply to refund my money, that I would keep just the first pair. The manager told me that since they had already altered the pants, that he would not be able to give me a refund. Give me a break - how hard is it to hem pants. They had already inconvenienced me and should have simply allowed me to go.

I mentioned to the manager that perhaps there was a problem with the tailor, that perhaps she simply was incompetent. He looked at me like I was from another planet, and told me his shop was not incompetent. It seems that measuring and altering two pairs of pants four times is routine and not incompetence. I disagree. I've now escalated my issue with the regional manager. I'm curious to see how he can explain that visiting a store four times is great customer service and that I'm out of line. It is really a shame. I love the traveler line of shirts and everything that I have purchased through the years have worn well and were at a fair price. I'm hoping that this regional manager (William **) can resolve my issue. Four trips to pick up two pairs of pants is three trips too many. I wonder if the new owners (Men's Warehouse) has something to do with my disappointing experience.

Original review: July 25, 2019

I had $3,000 to spend on a wardrobe upgrade. A cash gift from my three children for my 50th birthday. My youngest daughter accompanied me and we asked for help in selecting clothing. The salesman was curt, rude, and his disposition made us leave the store in disgust. We went a couple of miles down the road to Men’s Warehouse and left with a carload of fine suits, shirts, and pants. My daughter wanted to return to Jos Bank and shove the Men’s Warehouse receipt in the dispiriting salesman face. I choose not to meet him at his immature level and went to Mrs. Storys for some chili dogs instead.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I bought a few items from the RYE NY location on Purchase St. I left the store and when I got home I realized that the shirts were the wrong size. I called the store a few minutes before they closed and told them that I can be there in a couple of minutes for exchange. I mentioned that I had a very important meeting in the morning and was traveling and could not get there at 10am the next morning due to my schedule. The salesperson said he could not help me because they were closing in a couple of minutes. I asked to speak to the Manager. When Luis the manager came to the phone he also said he could not help and to return the following day.

I told him that I will come back the next day only to return the items I purchased due to their lack of empathy towards a customer's needs. His reply was repulsive. He said "Ya see now sir... THAT'S A THREAT! You ARE THREATENING ME." I cannot believe his response to me. Rye seems to be a very nice neighborhood. These two guys working in there are not the type of people I would expect to work at your store. Rude after the sale PERIOD. And visible tattoos on the hands are unwelcoming. What are your on boarding procedures at JoS. A. Bank? Oh wait. You have none. I will never do business at any location. The customer is the most valuable asset and you failed miserably to help my situation that could have been very easily taken care of with a more sophisticated salesperson.

Original review: May 8, 2019

Never ever ever ever use JoS. A. Bank for your wedding!!!! I went through JoS. A. Bank to rent tuxedos for my wedding. We had 4 tuxedos total - all 4 were measured at different stores and sent to 1 location for pick up. First we were misquoted the price of the tuxes and when my groomsmen went to go get theirs fitted and paid they were being asked to pay 50$ more than what I was told. This is what prompted me to call the JoS. A. Bank that we set everything up with to complain about this problem - good thing we made that phone call because I found out that day that my groom's tux that was fitted months prior was "incomplete" because we hadn't made payment. I was told at the time of fitting we could pay that at pick up and it would be sent to the store - now I am being told that's not the case. You need to leave at least a deposit.

If I hadn't called that day my groom wouldn't have had a tux!!! So I paid for it - verified all of the information to make sure everything was correct and all tuxes would go where they were supposed to - they made up the difference in the misquoted price and I thought everything was good and done. The time comes to pick up the tuxes - I have traveled out of state at this point as well as all of my groomsmen so we don't have much wiggle room for error, but you would think a reputable tux company would be able to get things right. My groom's shoes were the wrong size. A groomsmen's shirt was fitted completely wrong - weird part is the entire thing was fitted right except the sleeves were like half the length - you could just look at the shirt and tell something wasn't right. My dad's pants were way too long and they got my dad the wrong bow tie.

When I called about the bow tie they said they would get a new bow tie in "a day or two" - well I don't have two days and was originally told if there were any problems we could get them resolved by next day. So she talks to some people and calls me back and says, "Okay it will be in tomorrow." So I go pick up replacement shoes for my groom and to get the bow tie for my dad. Now I'm being told the bow tie is not in and they can't tell me when it will be (wedding is tomorrow at this point). So they get a bunch of bow ties that might work - they pull out the vest color that supposedly my dad ordered and I pick a bow tie that should work. Yea turns out they were having me compare it to the wrong vest color also so no- the bow tie did not work and we just had to deal with it.

This is a freaking wedding people. It is not that difficult to get this information correct the first time. These were a bunch of little mistakes that never should have happened. I will make sure everyone I know never ever ever uses JoS. A. Bank for an important event. I am so livid and will work on figuring out who up the chain I need to complain to because this was completely unacceptable and added a huge amount of stress to an already stressful week.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I probably have 40 Joseph Bank shirts but I absolutely hate getting tons of emails and there’s always that one that says 50% off of everything but there is a no big and tall! False advertising. Be better to your customers than this! Z

Original review: April 23, 2019

I had high expectations for JoS. A. Bank when we decided to use them for our wedding on 04/13/2019 for groomsmen tux rentals. Everything seemed to be fine until TWO days before the wedding. As everyone knows, weddings are incredibly stressful and the last thing a bride and groom want to hear is that all tux orders are wrong (wrong color shirts, wrong sizes, etc). My husband and his groomsmen had to call corporate several times to get the issue resolved. I will say, the corporate hotline was helpful in resolving the issue but the fact is, we shouldn’t have had to deal with this major stress right before our wedding.

At one point, a sales rep told a groomsmen he was going to be “out of luck” regarding getting his correct order. Out of luck? For a wedding? What kind of answer is that? Needless to say we were all panicking and running around trying to fix all the mistakes (one groomsmen had to purchase, instead of rent, his tux because they ordered the rental 3 sizes too big and couldn’t tailor the rental). In conclusion, please don’t use them for your wedding unless you are fully prepared to be scrambling and stressed the days before. With all that being said, the quality seemed fine once they actually corrected every order.

Original review: April 15, 2019

Why can't such a large company keeps its web orders better organized? The shirt size ordered is almost NEVER the shirt in the online photo. So they send the wrong shirt... One time they sent THREE of the wrong shirts. Why? The photo size differed from what is ordered. Why oh why does this keep happening? The store is not close to my home so getting there is a pain in the keister and thus the debacle of their online shopping. Damn! OK. I'm not asking for a lot: Size. Color.

The website seems a mess to me but.. Now what? Is this something they can orchestrate? If I go back out on the mean streets of their website the same damn thing will happen again. So never mind. No more. I'll just take a day off and drive to any other brick and mortar and shop for shirts. It's old-school but something their website can't mess up. Like anyone, I want what I ordered. Sounds simple. Love the shirts; hate the brutal online process.

Original review: March 19, 2019

I bought a suit from JoS. A. Bank website, the suit arrived on time, the jacket was the one I choose, but the pants size was double or triple my size. According to JoS. A. Bank customer service that kind of suits are like that, that doesn't make any sense, size 43R, the jacket fits perfect, but the pants size 44? No sense at all.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I am a loyal customer. I have made a few purchases recently and had a fairly decent exp. I am the best man in a wedding party and am out of town from wedding location. The bride has made accommodations for all wedding party to purchase suits with JOS Bank. Today I walked into my local store Newport News Va where I normally shop and when I explained that I needed to be measured for a suit, the store manager played like he did not understand what I was needing. The store in Florida that wrote the initial deal with groom sent me size fabrics etc... The Newport News store manager would not budge to help me, said I needed to go to Florida store and gave me my last suit jacket size and sent me on my way.

I called regional manager and was asked to go back to store for measurements and convinced they would make suit for me. I then learned that the tailor was not available. So initially all I needed was jacket size, now all of a sudden I need comprehensive measurements from professional tailor, WTF!! I now have an appointment to go back again tomorrow. I have never been treated so poorly as a consumer. I found out that the sales persons are commissioned based so if they're not making their commission then screw you. Buyer beware, the wedding party ad is BS. I am a good customer that will never purchase again from this store.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2019

We purchased 2 suits, shirts, ties, and a pair of shoes at the Laurel Park mall location for my husband and son and spent approximately $1,500. I later took my 89 year-old father in for a suit and had a similar budget in mind. The suit he liked was identical to the ones we purchased for my husband and son and they told me we could not get him completely outfitted for less than $1,000. The very next day I received a flyer in the mail advertising a sale for the very same suit for $299. When I went back to the store and asked why they wouldn't have told us about the sale starting the very next day, they were unapologetic. We were able to get him completely outfitted that day with a suit, shirt and tie for less than $500 with the same suit he wanted.

Unfortunately the service only got worse. My son's pants were hemmed too short and each leg was a different length. Again, they were unapologetic and tried to imply that we must have asked for a shorter length and didn't even address the fact that each leg was a different length. The salesman, Mike, was arrogant and unfriendly. They tried to adjust the length but the pants were still too short. After several trips back and forth to the store they ordered a new pair and we came back yet again to have the new pair measured and hemmed.

Again, Mike was rude and abrupt and had the tailor measure and hem the pants while we waited. The pants were only hemmed with a basting stitch and they intentionally left several inches of material such that the pant leg does not fall properly. Again, we received no apologies for the inconvenience or the shoddy tailoring. Needless to say we will not return and I have told my male coworkers of our experience so they can shop elsewhere.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2019

I have bought over 100 shirts for myself and my wife. Until the last 6 months, I have had great experiences. (Great quality shirts, wonderful prices, and fast deliveries.) The last 6 months I have had some issues with 1905 shirts (traditional fit) actually being tailored for 2x and talls. The shirts were exchanged but the website is still wrong in their description. Some of the shirts were delivered with the sleeves rolled up to the elbows. JoS. A. Bank listened to my concerns and tried successfully.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

On January 29, 2019, around 2.15 pm, my son and I visited this store in Livingston, New Jersey. There was only one salesperson who did not have the courtesy to acknowledge our presence helping one customer. Since he was busy with a customer, we thought we will browse through the products on our own and reach out to him for any help. My son reached out to him (because we were not able to find what we wanted) requesting his help after he finished helping the customer he was with, and he gave an abrupt response saying that he was with a customer and we had to wait. We waited while another customer who was in the fitting room walked out to check out his items of purchase.

The customer who was with the salesperson, went inside the fitting room while the salesperson ignoring us went to attend to the customer at the checkout. It was very sad that the salesman lacked any manners or have the politeness to be courteous. He was very arrogant. The least he could have done was to come to us and request us to wait a little longer before he could help us. But he did not think it was necessary. We waited for 20 minutes in the store hoping to get helped, but he never bothered to acknowledge our presence. Jos A. Bank lost a customer and on the contrary, Men's Wearhouse in Livingston, NJ got about $400 worth of business from us. We are very disappointed with the Sales Rep's arrogant attitude.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

Thank you, JoS. A. Bank, for the absolute worst service I have ever received in my life. I don’t think the bar could be set any lower after today’s customer service call. When two customer service associates have conflicting stories as to why an order placed over three weeks ago never made it to you, and then the item in question - which you confirmed was in stock - suddenly gets canceled at 1:00 in the morning with no further explanation as to why, and after being told it’d be expedited because of their mistake, you know you’re dealing with an abysmal company.

Sadly, an hour of time, two calls to the company and three associates later, I’m afraid I will still have to call again because my card won’t be refunded. Oh incidentally - the service quality survey, which was I promised after the last call, didn’t make to my inbox either. As for the points you gave me for this extended mishap - no thanks. I’ll go anywhere else before considering buying from you again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

My future son-in-law bought two very expensive custom made suits from the Stuyvesant Plaza, NY location. The very first time he wore one of the suits at a wedding, the backside ripped & not at the seam! No consolation, the store would do nothing!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2018

I ordered 3 sweaters, in stock, on Dec. 15 with guaranteed to arrive before Christmas. On the 17th, my order was cancelled without reason, so I reordered, still with guaranteed before Christmas shipping and in stock. On December 22, I had only received 2 of the 3 sweaters so I call customer support. They tell me that the sweater I bought is now out of stock and may be back in stock in 2 weeks and that I should wait and call back to see if it's coming or not. Now I'm missing a Christmas gift AND I don't have enough time to order a similar item as this company doesn't even have the common decency to notify that their item is out of stock and may not BE in stock again and that I should just "call back in a week or so". This is completely unacceptable customer service.

JoS. A. Bank Clothiers Company Information