United Van Lines International Moving

Compare International Moving Companies

Research top International Moving Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Consumer Reviews and Complaints

The people who work here are very helpful and friendly. They can pretty much answer any questions you have on the moving company and can help recommend less time moving so you don't have to pay a lot of money. The cost of renting and moving can be a fortune but they can figure out for you a good deal to where you can get it all done. Half the time it would take most people to just use their car for moving. They are pretty reliable when you need to borrow a truck for moving stuff.

They were very helpful and happy to answer any questions I had prior to the move, and I was able to reach someone quickly when I called. Each person I spoke to was courteous and professional. Their costs were not as high as I expected, especially for the services they provide. I shopped around a bit before I decided to call, so I was aware of what competitors were charging when I got their prices. Very quick to process claims and it required very little effort on my part. I simply had to answer some questions, providing them with the information they needed to process it, and the rest was done by them. They were very reliable, and trustworthy. I didn't run into any problems in any of my dealings with them so it's safe to say that they are a group of good people who simply want to do a great job by sending their customers away as happy people.

They have very good customer service and I would use them again and again if I needed to. I told all my friends how good their service was. They were very fair priced for all the work they did for me. I would want to try them again if I needed that service again. They were very nice and helpful. Was a very fast response and I would say to everyone they make it easy, fast and fair. I really like doing company with this business. They took good care of the things they needed to and were very helpful and concerned about the things I wanted them to do for me. Nice company.

Very good customer service. The costs seemed fair to me. Considering the time, people and all included. Very reliable! Would highly recommend them to anyone!

They helped me when I first initially called trying to set things up. I spoke with Dave who was very accommodating. Also they were all very friendly, helpful, hardworking. The cost was what's expected. Not high but the cost was worth the value of service. So the prices are pretty good. I'd total go to them over anyone else. Everything I would like to think went extremely smooth. The process didn't take that long. Extremely satisfies with how quick they are and did things. They were beyond reliable. They didn't take long to get the whole process done. They were extremely punctual. I'm super satisfied with the whole process and time it took.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about United Van Lines International Moving?

On time. Hard working. Made sure the job was done in a prompt efficient manner. Never saw a phone out the entire job which can be rare these days. Cheaper than renting a truck yourself to do the job. Not to mention much quicker. Would recommend them to the utmost. Never had an issue with the company that needed me dealing with a claim or anything along that manner. Worked carefully through the process. Never took time off during the job. Kept their eye on the prize and finished earlier than had been planned earlier in the day. A+++ for sure.

Everything was done just as we had planned. On time and very professional. Movers handled our belongings with the best of care. Not a thing missing or damaged. Great experience. A little pricey but well worth the money. It was about the same price as mayflower. Well it was a tad cheaper but with the tip to the movers it ran about even with mayflower. We had no issues with the claims department because everything went so well. But we were informed as to how to make a claim if needed. They were very reliable. They got there 15 minutes before the start time and stayed till we were happy with the placement of our belongings. Awesome.

Last November, my Nana passed away at the age of 100. I was living in Puerto Vallarta at the time (paradise) but chose to return stateside. One of the main reasons was that I wanted to save Nana's gorgeous furnishings from the auction block. My mother, aunt and cousins already had furnished homes and couldn't use Nana's pieces. She lived in her home in the historic district of Canton, Ohio until she passed away. My dad was a fighter pilot. I grew up moving often and continued the habit as an international school teacher. Her home was the only constant in my life. It was time to settle down and I at least wanted her furnishings to stay in the family.

While I planned my move and searched for a teaching job/ home in Florida, I contracted United Van Lines and its affiliate, Armstrong Relocation, to handle the storage and the move. United Van Lines was actually the most expensive company I could find and I wanted experts. Nana had a set of bedroom furniture from the 1800s that she referred to as HER antiques. I referred to them as the princess bed (a high four post, hand-carved bed that was covered in tiers of eyelet), hope chest and secret drawers. I played over and under these pieces as a child and they meant much more to me than money. I wanted them safe. Also the parlor grand piano would be a challenge to move. I was glad to pay over $8K in storage and shipping costs.

I purchased full coverage insurance as one more safeguard that the movers would be careful. I was certain that this big business would handle everything right. I was wrong. The only part of the process that was handled well was the pick-up. It was reported to me that many men arrived to box and move the pieces. It was clock-work. Then the mistakes began, starting with the accounting department which failed to bill me, billed to the wrong address, double billed me and even tried to charge me for the month when I was ready for the furniture but the company needed 19 days to organize the move. Despite the wait, I was really excited to receive the new furnishings. ONE mover and his wife showed up to deliver them. Later another guy, locally contracted, arrived to help with the piano. They were unable to handle it so my 72-year-old hero father helped (with difficulty) to hold the piano up while a leg was attached.

The boxed items were left for me to unwrap. I'm not a professional mover and several parts to china sets and sterling silver candelabra were lost. I could deal with all of that until the truck was empty and many items including the bench, top and pedals to the piano, the headboards from both beds, a bookshelf that my papa had made, the parts box, the hope chest were MISSING. The mover tried to blame the mix-up on the person who oversaw the move, tried to come up with reasons such as the pieces had gone to another relative in order to squirm out of accepting responsibility. He pressured me to sign the bill of delivery. In the end he called Armstrong Relocation and dismissed himself. He had another job to do.

The next six hours, I wrung my hands and did my best to breathe. It felt like Nana was dying all over again. The accountant who had been very nasty to me during previous calls (when she explained that the accounting department was short-staffed) was now acting like a best friend. She called several times to say that the warehouse was being searched. Finally, the items were found. Two dressers and two antique chairs were still gone but everything else would follow. I told the accountant NOT to rush the items and just to get them to me safely. She ignored my wishes.

Several days later, the pieces arrived. The antique dresser was in no way protected. One leg had split and there was a gouge taken out of the body. A cuckoo clock that my father had purchased during his flight training in the Med Sea was in three pieces. A crystal lamp was all bent and the lamp shade was as crushed as I felt.

I had trusted United Van Lines to do a good job. I thought it was a reputable company. What it turned out to be was a BIG company with form letters and a contracted claims department. I was offered $100 for the broken antique dresser (in good faith) although similar items online are valued at $1,900. You see, I received the letter telling me not to fix anything several weeks after I reported being dissatisfied with the move. I had tied a piece of string around the split leg to hold a piece in place. That was reported to be a repair. In total, the claims department offered me $850 worth of checks (I had to fight for those) and said they could do no more (I said I would be okay with $400 more and a REAL apology instead of a form letter). I was given an address for arbitration. I can't BELIEVE that such a large company would do so little to take responsibility for massive errors (not to mention heartbreak). Should I ever move again, I will go with Mayflower. That company offered to do the job for $2K less.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

United Van Lines International Movers is a well-known and well-respected moving company that offers moving services to over 180 countries around the world. They have a network of over 340 agent locations in America and internationally.

• Reputation: United Van Lines International Moving has a solid reputation as being one of the most frequently used moving services in the world. They have received a number of awards, including the AMSA Fleet Safety Award three years in a row.
  • Customized plans: They can help customers devise customized plans to make their move go more smoothly and include specific services, such as cleaning services for your old or new home, debris pickup and even specialized services such as home theater set up.
  • Cultural training: The company provides cultural training to help make the process of moving go smoothly. They handle cross-cultural issues for clients moving abroad.
  • Visa and immigration services: United Van Lines offers assistance with Visa and Immigration Services in order to obtain the necessary international work authorizations, passports and more.
  • Property protection: Through protection plans, the company offers a guarantee to customers to protect their belongings while in transit. Their plans include weight multiplier plans, itemized inventory plans and high-value item protection.
  • Best for Families, students, military families and people moving for work who need a full service moving company.

Compare International Moving Companies