4.0/5 (515 ratings)

About North American Van Lines

North American Van Lines offers local, long-distance and international moves for residential, corporate and military clients. The company makes moves to all 50 states. Common additional services include packing and unpacking, temporary storage and furniture disassembly. North American Van Lines partners with more than 500 local moving companies.

Pros

• Corporate relocations
  • Shipment tracking
  • Instant quote estimate

Cons

• Potentially pricey

Bottom Line

North American Van Lines completes every type of move. Its fast quote feature is handy, but consumer reviews point out shortcomings like tardy movers and mishandled or broken items.

North American Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?

Original review: March 24, 2021

I was very nervous about selecting the right moving company during my recent move from NJ to FL. North American Van Lines quoted the best price so I was even more nervous they would service as promised. From the very beginning, they followed up consistently. The driver (Brad **) and crew showed up early on moving day and delivery day, they got right to work and never complained about anything. They were professional and friendly. Lisa, my coordinator called while they were there to check in to make sure everything was going well. Lisa also called many times to make sure I received calls from the driver regarding timing and see if I had any questions or concerns. All in all, North American Van Lines was terrific. Honestly, I can't think of one thing to complain about.

Original review: March 23, 2021

Gary ** was very personable and always kept me up to date on the delivery timing from the initial start of the move to very end. Long distance movers should be compensated for their tireless journey and loading and unloading. Extremely hard work.

Original review: March 22, 2021

North American Van Lines (University Moving) did a good job with an interstate move I had. Julie from Client Services followed up regularly with updates on arrival times and making sure everything was going smoothly. The movers made sure everything was properly moved out and into my new place. Only thing that came up was some minor scratch marks on the wall from the movers moving the dresser mirror, but luckily that mostly came out with some soap and water. What I liked most was that payment via cashiers or certified check didn’t have to be made until delivery. This was nice, because some moving companies require a deposit up front. Recommend people consider this company in doing an out of state move.

Original review: March 19, 2021

I recently coordinated a move for my parents with the DeHaven’s team from NC to GA. I have personally moved 10 times in the past 20 years and I can say with total confidence that this was the most professional and well executed move I have ever received. They provided my parents exceptional service for the first phone call to get an estimate, to the last box being moved into the new home. They provide fair pricing for packaging, loading, storage and delivery! They took such care packing every item, moving and loading and delivery and setup. We literally could not find the smallest amount of damage on a single item. Not one. Remarkable! The crews were so curious and professional on both ends of the move. I just cannot say enough for how well they took care of my parents and their things. I truly appreciated this respect and service. I will never move again without DeHaven’s! Thank you all!

Original review: March 3, 2021

The delivery people seemed to have had no trouble finding the residence and stated that they had been in the area before, although it was a rural area. They were very professional, respectful and cordial. They arrived timely and within the time frame that was given. They brought item into room when they were asked and handled it with care.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2021

The movers were prompt, courteous, and very helpful. They went out of their way to make the move go as efficiently as possible. We appreciate everything they did. The experience and teamwork they displayed were key to making the move successful.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

This company specifically trains their claims support at all levels to respond in a robotized format from clerical to management. They are despicable and go back on their word. Don’t use them or any of their sub agents.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2021

Our overall experience with the North American Team (Susan **, Julie **, Vince ** and local teams) were excellent. Everyone did their best to help in any way possible. We provided plenty of challenges with our particular international move and the NA Team met every challenge with a "can do" attitude. What should have been stressful was rather effortless. We will definitely recommend and use North American Van Lines in the future - requesting Vince whenever possible.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

Great service! They were fast and organized. Hailey was always responsive. I did not have to worry about anything but concern myself with getting my family across the United States. What a blessing. Thank you! Your service highly appreciated. Neiman **.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Everyone I worked with regarding my move was very professional and did an excellent job. All of my special requests where paid attention to and everyone did their best to accommodate my needs. I would highly recommend A1 Freeman moving company to my friends and family.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Absolutely the worst customer service I have ever experienced! I moved across the country and chose North American. I regret that choice greatly! They failed to deliver on my guaranteed delivery dates which forced me to spend an additional 9 nights in a hotel. I filed a delay of claims as I was told I would get reimbursed for my hotel and food (up to $100 for room and $50 for food). I was denied my claim due to my household weight being under a mere 280 lbs and have sent repeated emails back asking for this to re-evaluated and no one will get back to me. Completely unacceptable and a great disservice to me! This entire move cost me $7000 to relocate plus undue stress. Do not use this company whatsoever!!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I am not usually one for one-star reviews, but this company has bad ethics and poor customer service. We did a cross country move and did not receive our stuff until far out of the contracted date agreement. We went through the process to get some refund from the extra costs we incurred from having our stuff delayed, however get got denied the initial request and appeal. We also got charged for a shuttle they did not use and are still waiting for the refund on that (it has been over 6 weeks since they picked up our stuff). I am very disappointed with the integrity of this company and would not recommend to anyone. They will not give back money that is rightly yours even when there is clear evidence put forth.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

After reading about Aldo DiSorbo and various Yelp reviews, it became apparent that my contract needs to be canceled. After calling all day and being transferred from their "customer service" to voicemail that is their "cancellation department" (which does not seem to exist), it appears that it is going to be a struggle to get this voided and to get the cancellation number that the contract states is needed to make it official.

A cancellation is simple but North American Van Lines is proving themselves as unreachable, dishonest, and actively hostile. Customer service is a joke and the whole thing is a run around for a simple voiding of something that was scheduled less than 24 hours ago. Do your research and steer clear of this company. Looking forward to the company reply to this review, I'm sure it'll be illuminating. If you're reading this, cancel Job #**.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2020

Late in delivery by almost 1 week and damaged furniture. They could not track the driver or our furniture. As it turned out the packing was sloppy. Would not use them again. The upfront promise was good but fell short in maintaining that.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2020

This company is terrible. I moved across country with this company and we packed our truck full of our belongings. When we realized that the grill would not fit on the truck our agent assured us she would get the grill on the next truck to CA. It has been 4 months and we never received our $1200 grill. They also broke a $4K table and refused to do anything to pay for it. Unbelievably poor service, non-responsive in the claims department, uncaring.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2020

We purchased things they suggested to protect our personal property during the move and they never used them. They damaged a great many expensive/important items by failing to pack properly. Just an example...I asked them to safeguard my firearm....they threw it into a parts box. Vases with absolutely no packing in a box. Music system in a box with no packing material. All three pole lamps destroyed. My $10,000 bedroom set gouged and nicked in many places. My office furniture damaged. Artificial plants wrecked.

Two months later they still have not offered a settlement. They have failed to refund or communicate the overpayment they claimed was necessary. They told us our things would be driven and instead they were put on a train. Told us a driver would provide us a date for delivery....no driver. Our delivery date was the last day possible within the contract. I could state more. Stay away from these people. Use United.

Original review: July 21, 2020

This is by far the worst experience I’ve had dealing with a company. I work in a career driven by customer service and my experience couldn't be much worse. North American Van Lines gave me 3 days on the weekend in which they would deliver my small shipment from relocating from Ohio to Florida. They picked my shipment up a week prior to this date which would allow them more than enough time to make the timeline of 7/17-7/20. After multiple attempts of trying to track down my shipment and being already delayed a whole day in which I had to stay in a hotel for the days prior seeing as they gave me 3 days to deliver (which they didn't). They now want to give me 75$ for each day missed on delivery. Mind you my hotel alone was 100$.

What is the cost of inconvenience? My patience? My experience? Etc? Which regarding the $75 I was not given any copy of an agreement that states this as well. Here as I sit 7/21 with no shipment I have been told it's in Jacksonville where I called and no one there seems to know where it is. I paid $4300 for convenience (that is not what you get whatsoever). Take a Uhaul, pack your things and transport them. Because if you think for an extra 3k out of your pocket you will get convenience you are completely mistaken. I will escalate this further to more social media outlets and will continue to escalate with each party because of how mistreated I have been during this process. Be aware.

Original review: July 21, 2020

North American picked up our vehicle on 2nd June 2020 from our home. The car was inspected thoroughly inside and out. They delivered our car to Maine on 17th June 2020 fifteen days after pickup. The car was off the truck with the windows open. I looked in and all around the car, everything looked good. I signed the driver left. I got in the car and it would not start of the seat would not adjust. I then realized my sandals were soaked. I called the driver back to ask what was going on, he never answered. I called North American office immediately, no one answered.

I went to open the trunk and it would not open. I look over the back seat and lifted the panel where my daughter had things stored and it was at least 2 inches of water. I am furious by this time. I called the drivers companies number. They answered and said the driver stated water poured out of the car and the windows were dogged when he picked the car up the night before. I asked why I wasn’t informed. I got the car towed to a dealership. He stated that it had to be at least 10-12” of water in the car because everything was soaked in the middle console. North American Van lines office. Joann ** stopped answering my calls, would not let me speak with a supervisor and referred me to 5 different people.

It is the 20th July 2020. North American avoid my calls, never sent an adjuster out to view the damage, which I requested and my car is still sitting at the dealership rotting. I am thousands of dollars in on a rental car which I need to get my 83 year old mother back and forth to doctor appointments because she has had two strokes, and thousands it will take to fix my car, if it’s not totaled from water damage. Not to mention the antique pieces that’s broken in our household goods. North American should be Boycotted. They are deceitful, crooks that should not be allowed to destroy people property and not take the responsibility of their companies actions.

Original review: June 15, 2020

North American Van Lines has been a total disaster. We moved to Toronto from Atlanta 6 weeks ago.. Our belongings are still in Georgia. The cost was 14 thousand dollars... What a scam. Beware Beware Beware.

Original review: May 23, 2020

I have been meaning to write this review for almost a year. Our family of 5 hired North American Van Lines to move our household contents (family of 5) from Annapolis Valley, N.S., to London, Ontario. The employee from Burnside, N.S. who came to give us our quote, was about the only thing that went right. It all went downhill from there. With such a large move, it was stressful enough on our family. My husband and I stressed that the most important factor was a timely arrival of our belongings. We paid $5991.50, our items were paired with more than one household (some of which items mistakenly ended up at our new house in Ontario, that we were requested to drive to the local warehouse ourselves.)

Our contract stated all of our belongings would arrive between July 03, no later than July 09th. We were at our house on the 1st of July. Many items, including our dining set, children's bikes, lawn mower.... too much to list - almost an entire truck - did not arrive until the 19th. We had to pay to have our grass mowed, had nowhere to sit and eat dinner after unpacking.. The list goes on. To top things off - when we called the office, our belongings were "lost in transit." We were told this is unacceptable and were passed on through several employees via telephone.. Never really receiving any answers, everyone just pushing blame onto the next person we were blindly transferred to.

We were also promised a re-reimbursement for the inconvenience we experienced, having to pay for lawn care, our contract not being followed, and for believing half of our household was missing for almost 2 weeks. By the end of it, we were just too exhausted to even fight for the partial reimbursement we were promised. We will never use again, and highly caution anyone else who is considering.

Original review: May 4, 2020

Unethical company, lack of coordination communication, irresponsibility, abusive unilateral decisions, not responding to all damages they created. Missed deadlines, provided misleading offer to discard competition and were not transparent with the charges and right calculation.

Original review: April 22, 2020

The people who packed up my house were courteous and efficient. There was a significant delay in delivering my move. I imagine the hardware they stored my move at had flooded because all of the wood items had water damage. They damaged all of the large pieces from my move, all of the books molded and shoes as well. They were dishonest and the driver left with these large damaged pieces (because he told me that this is what the protocol was and that he would take it to the warehouse. Instead, he "disposed" of it himself).

Subsequently, they did not reimburse me for these items during my appeal. I waited over 3 months and did not have my issue resolved. I had over $2,000 in damage that I never got back. The customer service was poor. I would not recommend their service to anyone under any circumstances. They should not be allowed to continue a business as such. Anyone who is thinking about using this service should reach out to me if they have any further questions. Read more at: **

Original review: April 17, 2020

We moved last July from Oregon to New York via North American Van lines. Being a 100 % disabled veteran we wanted to use a veteran owned Moving company. Jim ** came out from the Coos Bay, Oregon office to work up an estimate. At the end of the visit we talked about damage insurance, because Jim said on long moves we needed to increase our coverage. We bought an upgrade policy for 461.00. When we inspected the shipment we found 6 items broken or destroyed. 3 furniture items damaged, 1 of 2 supports for our headboard missing. What they never tell you is that they dump your load in a warehouse, where it sits while they find the cheapest subcontractor who loads it a second time.

Here is the fraud!!! Mr. ** knew we were packing the shipment ourselves. The guys who loaded the items told our neighbor Sue that they rarely saw such a professional organized job of packing !!! Yet when we submitted our claim we were told North American will not pay for items packed by us. Mr. ** knew when he sold us the upgraded policy that was the case!! As well when we at first declined the offer he told my wife a couple of horror stories to change our mind. He also bragged that they do a large volume of VETERAN business. Well thanks a lot for my service, HUH??? Do not use these people, guess that's why with well over 200 reviews they barely got 1 out of 5 stars!!!

Original review: March 12, 2020

This company is a travesty! Not only did I pay them approx $10K to move me from Aurora, CO to Pennsylvania, but they trashed my stuff! I purchased insurance, but they put the initials - CP beside each numbered item..which I found out means "Customer Packed" which we did not pack all of our stuff...they did. The only way I found out was the deliver driver. It also means they do not honor insurance coverage that you purchase. When he opened the truck doors, my household belongings were piled in a HEAP...Nothing was stacked...It was literally thrown in one big mound in the truck. It was falling over, boxes were crushed...and there is nothing I can do!?

They also took apart some of my exercise equipment (elliptical). The parts were not packed with the elliptical, and cannot be found. Now not only do I have to purchase new parts, but I have to have a specialist come put it back together because I don't know what's missing! On top of the $10K I paid them, they cost me $3 - $5K in broken, damaged or lost stuff. What a crock! How are they even acknowledged by the Better Business Bureau? DO NOT use North American in Denver, CO!! They are just awful!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2020

This was an out of state move. Many boxes were damaged, so I know they were not careful. Some of the boxes felt lighter when they arrived at my new residence. Sure enough, as I was emptying them, I started to notice how many things did not make it with me across state lines-- clothes, special items, costumes for Halloween, Christmas mementos, etc.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

At destination, things not placed where requested, Movers walked out at midnight, dumped the remaining things in garage. Lots of damage on high value items. Had to fight for settlement, which was pennies on the dollar.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

I used this moving company out of New Jersey to move me from Trumbull Ct to Fort Worth Tx. They took apart everything that can be taken apart and charged me per item. They destroyed one bedroom set, two 55in color tv’s, 20 boxes, five boxes are missing, broke a brand new recliner chair. They never paid for any damage they caused. Management are crooks and liars. I will never use this company or any company called North American Van Line. STAY AWAY FROM THEM.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2019

North Amer Beltman in GA..DO NOT USE. Moved from Dahlonega Ga to NC. Broke large marble top table, propted 1/2 of table up on lawn mower, saw it when they opened truck and antique silk screen Japanese wall hanging NEVER arrived (saw it loaded)! Movers were NOT employed by the company, they were contractors. Have moved all over the WORLD (military) without this prob!! Reps are RUDE and don't give a damn, deny everything! They talk a good talk, but it NOT true..BEWARE..VERY AWARE.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

Used Dimon & Bacorn from North American Van lines to move from New York to Michigan. I had a tremendous amount of issues with the local movers so I called North American customer service. Tina from customer service was incredibly rude and unprofessional and refused to allow me to speak to a supervisor. I hope someone does review the taped discussions and do something about that women. I was also very disappointed that North American refused to do anything about the poor experience I had with someone working under their name, they obviously just don't care. Find another company to move with, but be careful Allied movers is under the same umbrella, so I would expect the same poor service and lack of professionalism.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!! Terrible, terrible service! PRICELOCK package is a scam at best!!! We hired Lile to move our family from Vancouver, WA to Georgia. We paid a very high price tag ($27,000) and the service was the worst you can imagine! We started by not having a truck available on the days that we had spoken off when we got our quote from Renee. The packing time went from 2 days that Renee calculated to FIVE!! because they used a different crew each day of inexperience people that didn't know what they were doing, and didn't care to stick to a time schedule... and with a weekend in between.

Loading took 3 DAYS instead of 1 like they said having to sleep on the couch the second night and at a friends house the last night because they had packed my bed and couch before they realized they had run out of space in the truck and we had to wait for yet another day for a different truck and making me almost miss my flight to Georgia. My stuff arrived to destination 5 days later which would've been great if they would've bother to coordinate with the crew in Atlanta, but they didn't have a crew available so we had to spend a whole week in hotels (not just me this time but with my husband and three children that had driven here) while my stuff sat in a warehouse.

When they unloaded things started to come out damaged, broken, with no stickers so it was impossible to know at the end of a very long day if items the items in the inventory missing were really missing or not tagged and especially when we realized that they had removed items out of the truck when they realized that not everything was going to fit in the one truck but never changed their inventory!!

But the WORST was when they told us they didn't have the weight ticket that shows how much the truck weighed once loaded with our stuff. We contracted the package called PRICELOCK which meant that they charge you for certain amount of pounds that they estimate as they walk around your home telling you not to worry if they go over on their estimate because if it ends up weighing less they will refund you the difference BUT if it goes over you don't have to pay any more money. Well...after a couple of weeks of waiting to see the weight ticket to settle the refund, they informed us that THEY NEVER WEIGHED THE TRUCK. I mean they drove across the USA but not once weighed the truck?? So they have to reconstruct the weight (based on a screwed up inventory remember?) and they would let us know.

After several weeks I got an email stating that North American corporate office had come up with a magic number right around my estimated weight and when I asked to see how they had come up with that number they very rudely declined and told me they didn't have to. All I could do was to take their word that that is how much my load weighed. No questions asked!!! I tried to call anyone that I could think of, leaving messages and getting NO ANSWERS from Lile or North American. After paying more than $27,000 I feel almost scammed, as I paid a lot of money for terrible service, unprofessional and uncaring service and for a fee that they have failed to prove was due to them. Learn from my mistake! DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!!

North American Van Lines Company Information