3.9/5 (418 ratings)

About North American Van Lines

North American Van Lines offers local, long-distance and international moves for residential, corporate and military clients. The company makes moves to all 50 states. Common additional services include packing and unpacking, temporary storage and furniture disassembly. North American Van Lines partners with more than 500 local moving companies.

Pros

• Corporate relocations
  • Shipment tracking
  • Instant quote estimate

Cons

• Potentially pricey

Bottom Line

North American Van Lines completes every type of move. Its fast quote feature is handy, but consumer reviews point out shortcomings like tardy movers and mishandled or broken items.

North American Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?

Original review: April 25, 2022

There were several items not delivered on our move from Wisconsin to NJ. My emails are undeliverable to both of my contacts at United. I am looking for guidance/ resolution in this matter. I was loaded on 4/7/22 and the truck arrived in NJ on 4/16/22.

North American Van Lines response

We are not United Van lines. We are North American Van Lines. Please contact United Van Lines for help. Thanks Ryan

Original review: March 16, 2022

My experience was positive throughout the entire process. Gust and Lauren were easy to work with and very helpful. I valued their in-person visit to confirm estimate. I packed myself but movers did an excellent job at both pick up and drop off. They were on time, efficient, careful, respectful and friendly. I had a long distance delivery from CA to CO. Driver reached out to schedule delivery and was on time and within front end of delivery window. I am very satisfied with my decision and would use North American again.

Original review: March 12, 2022

The driver and moving teams on both ends were great, competent and extremely helpful. It had snowed the night before the truck was loaded in Holt and they shoveled the snow before loading. The driver, Andy, communicated with me throughout and arrived when he said he would.

Original review: March 12, 2022

Oh my goodness!!! Where to even begin!!! The entire experience with Ward North American has been nothing short of exceptional! Our sales rep Jaden was a delight. We had several other companies give us quotes for moving, but the attitude and knowledge and forwardness of Jaden was just absolutely perfect for us. We ended up going with them the same day Jaden was out to give us a quote! From then on everything continued to excel. We were always kept updated which is exactly what we needed. A day or so before the moving day we were able to speak with the gentleman who would handle the packing and delivery of the moving items. Can I give over ten stars for that experience??

Truly Randy ** gave the best customer service experience I have ever had!! He was thorough. Nothing was left out. He was honest and answered any and all questions immediately. He was always available at any moment you needed. He was such a breath of fresh air! He was professional but at the same time very personable. He did whatever he could to try to make any situation the best it could be! He would try different approaches to make things work. It really felt like we had a family member moving us. I mean truly, if we ever move again I want him to move us! Just the overall approach he took, and how he and his team were Rockstars with packing the truck and taking very good care of our stuff.

Moving is absolutely stressful! But his attitude and bright personality just made things so much better. He took a lot of stress off which is always a positive! I honestly feel like I cannot say enough wonderful things about Randy and his team, and just the whole experience. I hope I don't move again any time soon, but I can garuntee that the next move we make will be with Ward North American and I am absolutely positively requesting Randy ** and his team! Truly, hands down, an amazing experience for such a stressful event. Thank you Randy and Jaden for such a wonderful and smooth process!! I cannot say how much I truly appreciate all of it! I definitely recommend Ward North American to anybody looking to move a good distance.

Original review: March 8, 2022

This was the first time ever using a moving company. So I was nervous. Contacted maybe too many companies, however, North American/ Class Pays was amazing. They were friendly and professional from the beginning to end. Andrew did a virtual tour of home and quoted accurately within 20 lbs of items. Pam, the logistics coordinator was always on top of everything and checking to make sure everything was alright and the drivers were doing what they are supposed to be doing. Brian, Melanie, Jade, and Keith were friendly, professional, and efficient with the loading and loading of all of our stuff. I felt our stuff was in good hands the entire time. I don’t really want to move again, but know I will at some point. I will go back with them if I can.

Original review: March 6, 2022

Exceptional experience with The Moving Company. From the moving estimate to the last piece of furniture off the truck they handled everything expertly. I would definitely recommend them. Everyone we dealt with was friendly and professional. These folks know what they are doing. They were some of the hardest workers we have ever seen when it came to packing, loading and unloading. Nothing but praise for everyone. Special thanks to the van driver, Frank! Always calm and friendly. He went above and beyond for us and we are extremely grateful!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2022

I was satisfied the way Beltmann group with North American Van Lines packed and shipped our furnitures and belongings from their storage facility all the way to California once we were able to moved in to our new house. My appreciation to Pete ** our agent to Maddie ** whose always there to pick up the phone or email me back with any questions and concerns. Also thank you to Sergio and his staff and to Leo and his group for. Making this interstate move a very pleasant and relaxing experience for my family. I would highly recommend this company. They’re great moving company to worked with. To all of you Thank you so much!!!!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2022

I have moved cross country and locally several times and this was by far the best experience I have ever had.. Cannot say enough good thing about Ward North American from the estimate to delivery. No overcharge and no issues.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2022

We went with North American Van Lines because we wanted specifically "professional" movers for our cross-country move. What we received were day laborers that had no idea what they were doing. They dragged our expensive leather sofa across the concrete, scratching the entire back. None of the movers had belts or straps. One mover hurt himself, one walked off the job because the pieces were too heavy. We gave all weights of our pieces which was not given to the driver.

I was told that my furniture that was going into storage would be wrapped, unwrapped to visually review, and rewrapped. We had to give the driver extra cash to do this. The packers were in their 60's. Sweet people, but incredibly slow. We just have so many damaged pieces, I don't know where to start. The driver just kept saying to file a claim for all damages...there are so many... This has never happened with any other move we had using North American or Allied. Could be an isolated incident, but I would NEVER recommend them again!

Original review: Feb. 3, 2022

Rainbow was a pleasure to work with from the efficiency and accuracy of the estimate to the care taken inventorying and loading. The actual bill was lower than the estimate. Final delivery was smooth without any issues. I highly recommend them.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

When I spoke with Mike ** he listened to my concerns, asked questions, listed options and we devised a plan. He was patient, knowledgeable and considerate. Both he and Brenda **, who coordinated the move, called and kept me informed regarding every aspect of the move. They were able to answer my questions and address my concerns which made me confident I had chosen the right company. They are extremely personable and caring about the work they do.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

Job very well done. The guys were fast and efficient. There were a lot of boxes and some pieces of furniture. But they handled it with ease. Handled the furniture delicately and provided good amount of padding. Overall, I highly recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

The guys were professional, quick and efficient. They handled my items with care. When I needed an eta, the coordinator kept in contact with me and the truck to get me additional information, allowing me to run an errand and get back before the truck came.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2022

Paul ** was our sales person and was very knowledgeable and easy to work with. The quote we received was very close to the actual cost. The moving team arrived on time and was very efficient in loading our belongings on the truck. Billy was the team leader and was excellent in managing the move. The truck arrived at our new home just 36 hours after the truck was loaded. Unloading took under five hours, due to Billy’s efficiency. He literally remembered each room our furniture had come from in our previous home. I highly recommend Sterling Moving and Storage. I would definitely use the company again.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

The local agent wanted my boxes picked up by 12/9/21 so a road truck could pick them up on 12/16/21. THAT NEVER HAPPENED! She told me customers with items still in their home took priority! She never called me with updates. I had to call her! I called North American Van Lines and a representative called her. She clearly lied to him about the dates she gave me! It took 32 days for my boxes to be delivered! I've moved many, many times and this was my worst move ever!!!

Original review: Jan. 21, 2022

Everything about my experience with Classic Moving and Storage in Eau Claire was great, from scheduling with the office to the care that the movers took with my belongings. Very professional! I highly recommend to anyone looking for a mover in the Eau Claire area.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

EAMES LOUNGE CHAIR CUT INTO 2 HALVES. What a waste. All damaged since we called Allied (who we are familiar with because of military moves) but Allied sent our info to sister company North American Van Lines who then farmed it out to Valley Relocation. Valley Relocation did not treat this interstate move with the care and diligence we were promised even if we booked this since Nov. They forgot to schedule the craters and also changed plans at the last minute to crate and shrink wrap at their warehouse instead of our house In West Sacramento (no idea why as the move coordinator could not be reached. Don't know what else happened. No one could reach the driver who didn't show up to deliver. He showed up 6 days later. The sales person padded the budget with an additional $700-900 to have movers at delivery.

The local moving company Hansen Brothers (the company Allied and North American Van Lines are affiliated with) had no idea this truck was coming in since Valley Relocation did not book the move with them. They had no people available last minute on a Sunday when the driver finally showed up. The driver arrived 2 hours later with just one man from some other company. The packed boxes were all fine but the furniture arrived without shrink-wrapping nor blankets and in this condition. Nothing was done properly except the part where they charged our credit card. And then as a final FAIL there was also $150 in the budget to have Hansen Bros. come and pick up the boxes after and dispose of but again Valley Relocation did not book the move with them so Valley Relocation could belatedly book it now for pickup but that would be for some time in February.

So here we are collapsing and hauling boxes around ourselves. We have seen movers shrinkwrapping Ikea laundry bins but Valley Relocation did not even shrink wrap the Eames Lounge they were supposed to crate. And this is after their bid was $2000+ higher than Colonial because they were crating, adding movers and white glove service door to door. Hansen Bros. was the only one trying to help us when we called them first week of December but we could not coordinate with them since Valley Relocation did not book the move with them. It's almost as if Valley Relocation had our hands tied, took our things and held us hostage except they themselves couldn't locate the driver they hired. We can now track our burger delivery step by step but no one could find this 18 wheeler truck and driver for days. What do you think happened from Dec 27 to Jan 9 with our furniture?

It was not a global move. Just should have been a 13 hour trip. Then they kept on saying this and that was the drivers’ responsibility. We contracted the driver which is not true. We didn't go out and hire the driver, movers, packers or anyone ourselves. We trusted Allied / North American and they subcontracted to Valley Relocation this shabby service. They showed a complete lack of procedure, disregard for planning, caring for our belongings, gross negligence —- total breach of contract even after repeated communications for a month. They didn’t shrink wrap the furniture. They were even laughing at me that we were so worried. That I kept following up. That we kept asking them to book the Seattle movers Hansen Bros. in advance.

Hansen Bros. kept saying they can’t negotiate with us, they do not understand why Valley Relocation was not booking the move with them and that the Interstate Dispatcher should know about this move. Allied/North American should never trust or work Valley Relocation again. Allied/North American should make good and replace/repair our belongings in a timely manner. They should not nickel and dime us. They act with urgency. Not makes us wait 74 days.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

Megan, Oscar and their crew did a fantastic job. They showed up on time, they were fast, efficient and careful, both in loading and unloading. They were also very polite and considered our preferences. They Quickly solved any issues that came up. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2022

The move from CA to NV was a nightmare. We used NAVL as a 3rd party company through a local mover in CA that I'd used for local moves twice before. I trusted them and trusted that our belongings would arrive safely and intact. That didn't happen. We knew our move was going to be costly since interstate moves are based on weight as opposed to by the hour. So, we were prepared for that. We did save money by packing about 90% of our belongings and letting the mover pack the rest such as my husband's office and the kitchen. What we weren't prepared for was what we found after boxes were opened that had been packed by the movers. Nothing but an illogical, disorganized mess.

Nothing was packed properly and a book case was completely destroyed. And when I say destroyed, I mean completely obliterated to the point where it had been broken in half! There was also a desk and wardrobe closet that didn't survive and a box was not delivered to us. I contacted our move coordinator about what I'd found and she sent me a claim form to try to recoup some of the damages. However, after reading the instructions on the claim form, and learning that I cannot replace any items until someone comes out to assess the damage, I decided not to file a claim. Especially since the total loss only comes to about $250-$300; for a wardrobe closet, a $25 Walmart bookcase, a desk that was probably about $100, hangers and other miscellaneous items. So, I don't want to waste anyone's time for such a paltry amount.

We did end up with a refund of around $2,000 because of the materials I bought and much of my own packing I'd done. That being said, nothing should have been broken if it had been handled with more care. The desk and wardrobe closet survived 3 other moves, they should have survived this one, too. And the bookcase never should have been destroyed like it was. I was told it did survive the move; it was destroyed when it was placed in the storage unit we had to rent. We also know a box didn't get delivered to the storage unit. We've opened every box and cannot find the box I packed that had towels and a 3-tier glass corner shelf and a bracket for my jewelry tree I'd wrapped inside. Fortunately, they can be replaced, but I'm still disappointed it didn't make it.

Other issues include:

- I bought boxes, packing materials, and kits specifically for packing glasses and dishes, and other fragile items. Nothing that I bought was used. NOTHING. I opened a box and found everything I'd bought specifically for that was unopened. I had even asked at one point during the packing if the bubble wrap pouches, or the dish and cup packs were used, (I needed to use a few and couldn't find any). I was told yes, that they were all used. None were. NONE. Not one of the bubble wrap pouches were used to pack my dishes and glassware. They were supposed to be used specifically for glasses and plates and I found they had been simply thrown into other random boxes in such a way that they were useless to protect what they were put in with.

- Plates were not packed vertically and glasses and stemware were packed horizontally. It's a wonder they made it at all.

- None of the dishes were packed together in the same box. They were all packed separately and sporadically in with other items.

- I have a set of 24 glasses, 12 tall and 12 juice glasses. I found some of them in one box, some in another and yet more in another box marked "kitchen foods" yet there was no food in that box. They were in boxes that were either incorrectly marked or not at all.

- Cleaning supplies such as an unsealed can of Raid was packed with food! Rat poison was also packed in a box with items it never should have been packed with. Fortunately, it wasn't anything that needed to be saved.

- Food was not packed together. I found an open box of rice placed upside down in with my microwave. I had packing box full of rice. It's hard to say if any rice got into my microwave.

- Foods like the rice and hot cereal were not sealed properly so when I took them out of the box, it spilled everywhere, such as the microwave.

- Some boxes were filled and taped upside down so when the boxes were placed upright, liquids leaked. Liquids should have been shrink wrapped and/or taped to prevent leaking.

- Nothing was marked fragile that should have been such as the stemware.

- None of my pots and pans were wrapped so one of my small frying pans got chipped.

- Bedroom and glass living room lamps were packed at the bottom of boxes, not wrapped in anything to protect them with other non-lightweight items thrown on top, like an iron! It's astounding they weren't broken. Especially given the fact that the boxes weren't marked fragile; they weren't even marked at all.

- Coffee pots were not wrapped, it's a miracle they weren't broken.

- Brackets for the entertainment unit shelves were in a box marked "master" and not taped together or even placed in a Ziplock baggie that should have been taped to the unit as opposed to being thrown in a random box.

- Screws for the TV mounts were thrown into random boxes instead of being kept taped together with the mounts. They were wadded up in packing paper in a box marked "tools", I believe. They would have been thrown away if not for the word "tornillos" on it. I had to ask one of the movers what that meant. It's Spanish for screws. Ugh...

- None of my curtain rods and brackets were kept together. I found one of the brackets to my blackout curtain rod in one box and another in a different box. Who does that?

- My curtains were wadded up and shoved in a box and, for some bizarre reason, they smell like pee. I had to wash all of them.

- My throw rugs were rolled up, folded over, shoved and wadded into boxes with other items. Several of my smaller ones are now wrinkled and a mess. They are useless to me until they flatten out. Rugs should be rolled and shrink wrap/taped up and not placed in any boxes.

- The legs to our bed were packed in a box marked "master" instead of being kept together with the rest of the bed frame. So, the movers weren't able to put our bed together the day we moved in. It took a week before we were able to get help to put it back together and we had to sleep with the mattress on the floor. Not cool.

- My husband had to buy another electric razor because he could not find the cord for the base in order to clean and recharge it.

- All of the wardrobe boxes I packed were completely destroyed. All of our clothes were in a heap at the bottom of boxes that were crushed and smashed. I had to replace at least 2 dozen hangers because of that.

- My 2 coffee tables were scratched and gouged. It's going to take a lot of time and elbow grease to get them back to how they're supposed to look. One wasn't even wrapped in a blanket. It was sitting on its side on top of a box when we opened the storage unit door.

- Our vacuum was shoved between two shelves of a metal storage shelf and something heavy had been placed on top of the top shelf because the shelf slipped down, and the vacuum was stuck, and we had a difficult time trying to get it out.

The biggest lesson learned from this experience, **closely supervise the movers and packers** so that you will know what is being done with your belongings.I do not recommend North American Van Lines.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2022

Ferree Movers did an excellent job moving my parents from Indiana to Illinois. The movers were thoughtful and accommodating in every way. I would highly recommend them if you are planning a move. The service was exceptional. The time they took to pack and load was also quite efficient.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2022

I was assured our furniture would be blanket-wrapped and our items would be go directly from the truck to the container. Truck arrived outside of the contracted delivery date. Container was unprofessionally packed (furniture and boxes mixed together). Boxes were smashed and retaped. Furniture was broken. Boxes were missing. Almost all of the furniture was damaged as it was NOT wrapped.

The claims process was terrible. I made a claim online and did not hear anything for over 6 weeks. The furniture repair person contacted me to arrange for inspection and repair. Still no word from No. American Van Lines. When I called, I was told to follow the process. I was never informed of a process or timeline. Very rude. I asked for the contact information for the person handling the claim which they refused to give me. Over a month goes by and I get an email offering $1005 settlement. Not close to the amount of damage done. No discussion, no empathy, nothing. I offered more information, they upped it by $105. There is no way to appeal as the claims are outsourced and there is no contact information for corporate. Traumatic and frustrating.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

Everyone was great, had a few things break but that was all. The guys were great who picked up our items and the same with the guys who delivered. Only have a couple of complaints and that is the salesmen said our CC would not be charged till after we received our furniture but it was charged after they picked up the furniture. Also should of been told plastic bins were no good to move in, only store things in. Otherwise we had no problem.

Jon and Francine

Original review: Dec. 26, 2021

Excellent move. Pick up was done efficiently. The guys packed my furniture expertly and were very friendly and knowledgeable. Delivery was quick & everything was intact. Furniture was placed as I asked & beds assembled. Overall I could not have asked for a better company!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

I moved with L&J over the summer. My move coordinators said it was the busiest time of the year. I would never have known. My phone calls text messages and emails were always returned quickly. My move was great. The communication was great from the moment of booking until after delivery. I would definitely recommend L&J.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

My 55 inch television was broken during the move (cracked screen). Every piece of my brand new bedroom set was damaged. I submitted a claim 3 weeks ago and no one has gotten back to me. The movers themselves were very polite and helpful. I have used North American multiple times for multiple moves. I have always been happy and satisfied. I may rethink this next time I move. The claims service is not getting back to me on the damaged items.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

The estimator provided a good description of the process. The 3 person crew arrived on schedule to move a two bedroom home. The moving crew was very professional, polite and efficient, followed my instructions and completed work faster than expected.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

We have moved a great deal in our lives and this is by far the best move. The men did an outstanding job. They did as instructed and was super nice. We would give them a 5+ star. They were very responsible and caring.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

Excellent service by Frank and Jeff. They were positive, consistent, and friendly. They were timely to complete all tasks and we appreciated how they were willing to assist with changes of equipment to be picked up and relocated. This is a good organization and open to be flexible to meet the needs of the customer.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

Took twice the planned time yet job was still rushed. Packing was done poorly. Many items were damaged and I have just begun to unpack. Many boxes weren’t labeled at all. Almost impossible to track who packed what. Now I’m submitting feedback and the system won’t even accept it. What a totally unprofessional outfit. Disgusted.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

The move was very organized, timely, and efficient. On top of that, the movers were incredibly nice and responsible with our stuff. I have used different moving companies before and have had some bad experience but these guys were great.

North American Van Lines Company Information