3.7/5 (168 ratings)

About North American Van Lines

North American Van Lines offers local, long-distance and international moves for residential, corporate and military clients. The company makes moves to all 50 states. Common additional services include packing and unpacking, temporary storage and furniture disassembly. North American Van Lines partners with more than 500 local moving companies.

Pros

• Corporate relocations
  • Shipment tracking
  • Instant quote estimate

Cons

• Potentially pricey

Bottom Line

North American Van Lines completes every type of move. Its fast quote feature is handy, but consumer reviews point out shortcomings like tardy movers and mishandled or broken items.

North American Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?

Original review: Dec. 29, 2021

Everyone was great, had a few things break but that was all. The guys were great who picked up our items and the same with the guys who delivered. Only have a couple of complaints and that is the salesmen said our CC would not be charged till after we received our furniture but it was charged after they picked up the furniture. Also should of been told plastic bins were no good to move in, only store things in. Otherwise we had no problem.

Jon and Francine

Original review: Dec. 26, 2021

Excellent move. Pick up was done efficiently. The guys packed my furniture expertly and were very friendly and knowledgeable. Delivery was quick & everything was intact. Furniture was placed as I asked & beds assembled. Overall I could not have asked for a better company!

Original review: Dec. 21, 2021

I moved with L&J over the summer. My move coordinators said it was the busiest time of the year. I would never have known. My phone calls text messages and emails were always returned quickly. My move was great. The communication was great from the moment of booking until after delivery. I would definitely recommend L&J.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2021

My 55 inch television was broken during the move (cracked screen). Every piece of my brand new bedroom set was damaged. I submitted a claim 3 weeks ago and no one has gotten back to me. The movers themselves were very polite and helpful. I have used North American multiple times for multiple moves. I have always been happy and satisfied. I may rethink this next time I move. The claims service is not getting back to me on the damaged items.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

The estimator provided a good description of the process. The 3 person crew arrived on schedule to move a two bedroom home. The moving crew was very professional, polite and efficient, followed my instructions and completed work faster than expected.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

We have moved a great deal in our lives and this is by far the best move. The men did an outstanding job. They did as instructed and was super nice. We would give them a 5+ star. They were very responsible and caring.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2021

Excellent service by Frank and Jeff. They were positive, consistent, and friendly. They were timely to complete all tasks and we appreciated how they were willing to assist with changes of equipment to be picked up and relocated. This is a good organization and open to be flexible to meet the needs of the customer.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

Took twice the planned time yet job was still rushed. Packing was done poorly. Many items were damaged and I have just begun to unpack. Many boxes weren’t labeled at all. Almost impossible to track who packed what. Now I’m submitting feedback and the system won’t even accept it. What a totally unprofessional outfit. Disgusted.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2021

The move was very organized, timely, and efficient. On top of that, the movers were incredibly nice and responsible with our stuff. I have used different moving companies before and have had some bad experience but these guys were great.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2021

I’ve never moved across country and I had the best experience with this company. From the sales rep to the delivery driver, everyone was so nice, so helpful, went above and beyond. The people who packed my house had great attitudes and were very friendly. They enjoy what they do and it makes for such a positive atmosphere. The folks who unloaded the truck were just as great. They were quick and detailed. The driver was kind enough to arrive earlier than scheduled. All around, great experience.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2021

Everyone from the person who quoted the job to the truck drive and crews who packed and loaded/unloaded our belongings were outstanding! They were professional, courteous and accommodating during the entire process. I would highly recommend this company to family and friends!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

Best moving experience ever! This company has great communication, hard workers and are well organized! The delivery of our things was absolutely seamless. The workers were beyond helpful and careful with our things. We would definitely use this company again. If you are in the Jacksonville area, highly recommended this company!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

The four people on my moving crew were prompt, efficient, courteous and professional. They handled moves to two separate locations smoothly and made the experience much less stressful than it could have been which was very much appreciated. There was a lot to keep track of and they all handled it well.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

I submitted a request for my international move from Canada to USA in their website on 10/6/2021. I was told that agent would reach out to me. No one reached out to me. I followed up multiple times to hear different answers for the last 10 days or so. Now they are saying that since it is less than 10 days left they cannot help. Inferior Customer Service and no respect for customers. No follow up and fail to understand the pain of customers who are in bad situation due to them. PLEASE DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Moved from Akron Ohio to Scottsdale Az. Came on time and did a very professional job of loading and packing our dining room furniture and 3 very large paintings. Excellent job. Delivery was as scheduled. Wish they put one of the dining room pieces back together it all in all. Very pleased with the job done.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

This is a great moving company to work with. They communicated with me every step of the way, and always available to answer questions. The quote was accurate and very reasonable. Delivery was in the timeframe they promised. The driver called to let us know he was en route. Awesome!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

Was good on setting up for loading out, move out day had a new guy so was like having to show guy how to. Took much longer than should have. Now delivery date was late. I don’t believe it should take 4 weeks to get refund back credited to card. Will say delivery guys Sanchez and Alex were great. Absolutely recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I was so glad to find AirVan. Scott ** was great in making us feel comfortable doing an estimate by coming to our house to see what we had. He was friendly and personable. Then we also had a great experience with the office and the movers. Wonderful communication. They were patient with our changing variables and schedule. The guys packing and moving and unloading were so nice and careful with our belongings. I would definitely use them again. Overall a trustworthy company and felt like we were taken care of so completely.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Rough, rushed careless, lots of broken art. Scratched leather, pottery. Missing slats for bed. Missing moving blankets that were mine. They unwrapped furniture at warehouse then loaded on his truck to deliver to me how do they expect to not damage stuff unwrapped?!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

The overall move was delayed but good! However, I have 2 damaged items card table & a ripped off desk cabinet door (pics available). I cannot get the Boise/Meridian ID movers to respond! This was in the May/June timeframe. Driver excellent!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Vance and his team went above and beyond. They were on time, had excellent customer service, communicated about where our belongings went, and were very professional. We had several oversize items and a complex move schedule with several stops and they handled everything with white glove service. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

The guys who packed up and who met the van in Austin were very courteous and efficient… Manny the manager of the crew was extremely helpful and went above and beyond to accommodate me. I was told when I booked with Alex that the price was based on weight, and therefore I got rid of several very big heavy pieces but the cost did not go down at all. (Only complaint)

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

In August 2021 we moved from South Carolina to North Carolina. The crew was hardworking and positive. They picked up the load and delivered it a week later. They were very energetic and had a great working relationship within the team. We were amazed at their ability to move so many boxes and pieces of furniture in such a short time, especially in the summer heat! The only issue we felt could have improved was the communication on delivery times. We had other family members coming to help (driving a long distance) but we were uncertain when delivery would occur until the last minute.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Well for one, horrible communication. You have to call over and over because no one ever calls you back. Second, the fact that I'm getting this survey and I still haven't received my belongings is comical. It's now 13 days past the date I was told we would have it. Also, I received a bill for storage and they don't have it in that warehouse. I will never use this company again.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

Eric and his crew were ultimate professionals and were very responsive when called upon. They went above and beyond to help with a few hiccups we experienced, not move related but sale of the house. I would recommend them to anyone who asks. Extremely positive experience. D.W.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I had a super great driver! Prompt, attentive, professional and careful. Could not have asked for anyone better! Even the staff brought in on both sides of my move were equally as great! They were just as respectful and cautious. I would recommend any of them over and over again!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

Bill (Driver/Load Coordinator) was extremely organized from the household load on 8/9/2021 in Pittsburgh, to load delivery on 8/12 in St Augustine, FL. Crew was friendly & took extreme caution when packing & unpacking our household. There were no damages. Very happy I used North American Moving. Highly recommend.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

NAVL earned my business because of generally positive reviews and their initial responsiveness in making the arrangements. However, I didn't ask enough questions about how the move would be conducted. The furniture pickup from my mother’s retirement home was very smooth and on schedule. The load then moved to a regional warehouse, where it was "containerized" and handed off to a third-party shipper for interstate transport. And that's where the problem began.

The third-party shipper was opaque and apparently unaccountable to NAVL. One day prior to the closing of the guaranteed delivery window, no one in the originating warehouse could tell me where the load actually was at the moment. I eventually found a contact in the destination warehouse who located the load but also informed me that no one had coordinated with them about receiving the load and delivering the furniture to an apartment 70 miles away. When the load finally arrived at the destination warehouse five days after the close of the guaranteed delivery window, the dispatcher informed me that it would take at least another three and half weeks for them to deliver the furniture to my mother’s apartment.

The situation was untenable. My elderly mother had already been living out of her suitcase for a week longer than expected, and now it would take at least an additional three and a half weeks, and with no real guarantee of a delivery date. The dispatcher and I agreed that I would need to rent a truck and hire a crew to complete the move in any reasonable timeframe, which is exactly what I did. This obviously involved considerable effort and expense, so NAVL sent me their Delay Claim Form to itemize my expenses and request compensation. Their handling of the claim form is at the heart of my complaint.

Claim form processing is handled by a different department than I had dealt with previously. I had filled out the claim form in great detail and included receipts but was initially unable to get any status about my form submission. Finally, a customer support person from elsewhere in the company was able to get a response, which was in the form of a terse email informing me that they would send a check for only the delay penalty of $75/day, an amount made considerably smaller by the fact that I completed the move myself. But what about the other expenses on the form? No one ever replied to my email.

The same customer support person from elsewhere in the company told me how to contact a human in the claims department. The first person I talked with explained that NAVL only compensates for the daily delay, as specified in the contract. I pointed out that my contract contains no such limitation on their liability, at which point she suggested I talk with her manager. I left a couple of polite voicemails with the manager, and after a couple of days I called back to talk to a human.

This time I got a more knowledgeable person, who informed me that the limitation on their liability is actually spelled out in the Terms and Conditions referenced by the contract. But he could not cite any specific language or even tell me where the T&Cs were located. After more consultation with customer support, I carefully read through the T&Cs and verified that there is no language that limits their liability to the daily delay penalty. In fact, the Delay Claim Form is designed to itemize expenses.

At this point, NAVL has issued a check for less than 20% of what they owe me. I have disputed my payment to them via my credit card company, and have also filed complaints with the BB and the FMCSA (federal agency that regulates movers). If none of this works, I will consider small claims court. NAVL is a big company and is skilled at wearing down consumers by stonewalling. This is my first experience with an interstate move, so I don’t really know if any other company is better.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

They were great. Even helped me place my Furniture. Handled a $40000 piano expertly. They moved quick and efficiently and kept to their price. Richie ** was very accurate in his estimate and was always one phone call away for questions. The call went right to his cell and not thru a computer.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

The movers were all very pleasant however were not trained very well. Some of the pieces were heavy so movers asked for more help but were denied. These pieces were bounced down the steps. They also placed heavy boxes on boxes marked fragile ruining other items.

North American Van Lines Company Information