4.0/5 (515 ratings)

About North American Van Lines

North American Van Lines offers local, long-distance and international moves for residential, corporate and military clients. The company makes moves to all 50 states. Common additional services include packing and unpacking, temporary storage and furniture disassembly. North American Van Lines partners with more than 500 local moving companies.

Pros

• Corporate relocations
  • Shipment tracking
  • Instant quote estimate

Cons

• Potentially pricey

Bottom Line

North American Van Lines completes every type of move. Its fast quote feature is handy, but consumer reviews point out shortcomings like tardy movers and mishandled or broken items.

North American Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about North American Van Lines?

Original review: Oct. 25, 2021

Best moving experience ever! This company has great communication, hard workers and are well organized! The delivery of our things was absolutely seamless. The workers were beyond helpful and careful with our things. We would definitely use this company again. If you are in the Jacksonville area, highly recommended this company!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2021

The four people on my moving crew were prompt, efficient, courteous and professional. They handled moves to two separate locations smoothly and made the experience much less stressful than it could have been which was very much appreciated. There was a lot to keep track of and they all handled it well.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2021

I submitted a request for my international move from Canada to USA in their website on 10/6/2021. I was told that agent would reach out to me. No one reached out to me. I followed up multiple times to hear different answers for the last 10 days or so. Now they are saying that since it is less than 10 days left they cannot help. Inferior Customer Service and no respect for customers. No follow up and fail to understand the pain of customers who are in bad situation due to them. PLEASE DO NOT TRUST THIS COMPANY.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2021

Moved from Akron Ohio to Scottsdale Az. Came on time and did a very professional job of loading and packing our dining room furniture and 3 very large paintings. Excellent job. Delivery was as scheduled. Wish they put one of the dining room pieces back together it all in all. Very pleased with the job done.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

This is a great moving company to work with. They communicated with me every step of the way, and always available to answer questions. The quote was accurate and very reasonable. Delivery was in the timeframe they promised. The driver called to let us know he was en route. Awesome!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2021

Was good on setting up for loading out, move out day had a new guy so was like having to show guy how to. Took much longer than should have. Now delivery date was late. I don’t believe it should take 4 weeks to get refund back credited to card. Will say delivery guys Sanchez and Alex were great. Absolutely recommend them.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I was so glad to find AirVan. Scott ** was great in making us feel comfortable doing an estimate by coming to our house to see what we had. He was friendly and personable. Then we also had a great experience with the office and the movers. Wonderful communication. They were patient with our changing variables and schedule. The guys packing and moving and unloading were so nice and careful with our belongings. I would definitely use them again. Overall a trustworthy company and felt like we were taken care of so completely.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Rough, rushed careless, lots of broken art. Scratched leather, pottery. Missing slats for bed. Missing moving blankets that were mine. They unwrapped furniture at warehouse then loaded on his truck to deliver to me how do they expect to not damage stuff unwrapped?!

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

The overall move was delayed but good! However, I have 2 damaged items card table & a ripped off desk cabinet door (pics available). I cannot get the Boise/Meridian ID movers to respond! This was in the May/June timeframe. Driver excellent!

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

Vance and his team went above and beyond. They were on time, had excellent customer service, communicated about where our belongings went, and were very professional. We had several oversize items and a complex move schedule with several stops and they handled everything with white glove service. Thank you!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2021

The guys who packed up and who met the van in Austin were very courteous and efficient… Manny the manager of the crew was extremely helpful and went above and beyond to accommodate me. I was told when I booked with Alex that the price was based on weight, and therefore I got rid of several very big heavy pieces but the cost did not go down at all. (Only complaint)

Original review: Sept. 11, 2021

In August 2021 we moved from South Carolina to North Carolina. The crew was hardworking and positive. They picked up the load and delivered it a week later. They were very energetic and had a great working relationship within the team. We were amazed at their ability to move so many boxes and pieces of furniture in such a short time, especially in the summer heat! The only issue we felt could have improved was the communication on delivery times. We had other family members coming to help (driving a long distance) but we were uncertain when delivery would occur until the last minute.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2021

Well for one, horrible communication. You have to call over and over because no one ever calls you back. Second, the fact that I'm getting this survey and I still haven't received my belongings is comical. It's now 13 days past the date I was told we would have it. Also, I received a bill for storage and they don't have it in that warehouse. I will never use this company again.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2021

Eric and his crew were ultimate professionals and were very responsive when called upon. They went above and beyond to help with a few hiccups we experienced, not move related but sale of the house. I would recommend them to anyone who asks. Extremely positive experience. D.W.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2021

I had a super great driver! Prompt, attentive, professional and careful. Could not have asked for anyone better! Even the staff brought in on both sides of my move were equally as great! They were just as respectful and cautious. I would recommend any of them over and over again!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2021

Bill (Driver/Load Coordinator) was extremely organized from the household load on 8/9/2021 in Pittsburgh, to load delivery on 8/12 in St Augustine, FL. Crew was friendly & took extreme caution when packing & unpacking our household. There were no damages. Very happy I used North American Moving. Highly recommend.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2021

NAVL earned my business because of generally positive reviews and their initial responsiveness in making the arrangements. However, I didn't ask enough questions about how the move would be conducted. The furniture pickup from my mother’s retirement home was very smooth and on schedule. The load then moved to a regional warehouse, where it was "containerized" and handed off to a third-party shipper for interstate transport. And that's where the problem began.

The third-party shipper was opaque and apparently unaccountable to NAVL. One day prior to the closing of the guaranteed delivery window, no one in the originating warehouse could tell me where the load actually was at the moment. I eventually found a contact in the destination warehouse who located the load but also informed me that no one had coordinated with them about receiving the load and delivering the furniture to an apartment 70 miles away. When the load finally arrived at the destination warehouse five days after the close of the guaranteed delivery window, the dispatcher informed me that it would take at least another three and half weeks for them to deliver the furniture to my mother’s apartment.

The situation was untenable. My elderly mother had already been living out of her suitcase for a week longer than expected, and now it would take at least an additional three and a half weeks, and with no real guarantee of a delivery date. The dispatcher and I agreed that I would need to rent a truck and hire a crew to complete the move in any reasonable timeframe, which is exactly what I did. This obviously involved considerable effort and expense, so NAVL sent me their Delay Claim Form to itemize my expenses and request compensation. Their handling of the claim form is at the heart of my complaint.

Claim form processing is handled by a different department than I had dealt with previously. I had filled out the claim form in great detail and included receipts but was initially unable to get any status about my form submission. Finally, a customer support person from elsewhere in the company was able to get a response, which was in the form of a terse email informing me that they would send a check for only the delay penalty of $75/day, an amount made considerably smaller by the fact that I completed the move myself. But what about the other expenses on the form? No one ever replied to my email.

The same customer support person from elsewhere in the company told me how to contact a human in the claims department. The first person I talked with explained that NAVL only compensates for the daily delay, as specified in the contract. I pointed out that my contract contains no such limitation on their liability, at which point she suggested I talk with her manager. I left a couple of polite voicemails with the manager, and after a couple of days I called back to talk to a human.

This time I got a more knowledgeable person, who informed me that the limitation on their liability is actually spelled out in the Terms and Conditions referenced by the contract. But he could not cite any specific language or even tell me where the T&Cs were located. After more consultation with customer support, I carefully read through the T&Cs and verified that there is no language that limits their liability to the daily delay penalty. In fact, the Delay Claim Form is designed to itemize expenses.

At this point, NAVL has issued a check for less than 20% of what they owe me. I have disputed my payment to them via my credit card company, and have also filed complaints with the BB and the FMCSA (federal agency that regulates movers). If none of this works, I will consider small claims court. NAVL is a big company and is skilled at wearing down consumers by stonewalling. This is my first experience with an interstate move, so I don’t really know if any other company is better.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2021

They were great. Even helped me place my Furniture. Handled a $40000 piano expertly. They moved quick and efficiently and kept to their price. Richie ** was very accurate in his estimate and was always one phone call away for questions. The call went right to his cell and not thru a computer.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2021

The movers were all very pleasant however were not trained very well. Some of the pieces were heavy so movers asked for more help but were denied. These pieces were bounced down the steps. They also placed heavy boxes on boxes marked fragile ruining other items.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

Avoid this company at all costs. They packed up my worldly possessions and charged me several thousand dollars with the contractual promise of an interstate delivery move. They missed the generous delivery window they agreed to. Then they moved the delivery window [within their own computer system] in an apparent attempt to avoid incurring late charges per their contract. They no longer return calls or emails and have stopped offering excuses. Again, avoid this company at all costs—it seems they literally cannot deliver. You do not want the headache they're giving me.

Original review: July 31, 2021

My experience with moving company was negative, grossly unprofessional & delayed… Upon final arrival-I had many items damaged, dismantled, & missing. Large items-mirrored dresser, Smart TV, 4 ft paintings, clothing, shoes. Multiple inquiries on my part-email phone calls - no response & resolve.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Great experience. Professional, experienced, fast and enjoyable. The packers were efficient and the movers were great. Would recommend Neutz moving company. You won’t go wrong with them. Call Erin for a quote. They are a great company to work with for all your moving needs.

Original review: July 11, 2021

Furniture move as downsizing. They had trouble with one large piece and I was ready to give up and just have them return to my other place. They figured it out and got it in. They were efficient and wrapped a my antique furniture well.

Original review: July 6, 2021

I was so happy with the two movers Reebe sent for my move. The main guy was Antonio ** who was absolutely professional and knew what he was doing. His friend was awesome too. Don’t remember his name. I had a huge China cabinet and a dresser my friend gave me. She lives in Lake Forest and I live in Winfield. Movers showed up in Lake Forest were very respectful and took proper care of their hardwood floor and took the China cabinet apart properly. Very prompt. Arrived at my house in Winfield. Movers were courteous and respectful. Reassembled China cabinet properly and moved dresser upstairs and reassembled. Everything was wrapped in quilted pads with stretch wrap around. No damage can occur.

Highly recommend Reebe movers out of Franklin Park, IL Yes for a local move with two men and few furniture. It was worth every penny to have it done correctly with no damage. They arrived in 24 ft box truck. I’m very happy. Thank you Antonio and Reebe movers for an efficient well orchestrated move. Linda from Winfield.

Original review: July 4, 2021

I was extremely pleased with the way Juan ** and his co-worker wrapped and handled my sentimental furniture for its journey to California. They were both very friendly and engaging and great to work with. Their professionalism greatly exceeded my expectations.

Original review: July 3, 2021

The packers sent were two hours late, were ages 16, 20 and 80. No experience, no supervision. It was horrible. They did not know what they were doing. They followed no protocol. The few items they packed were broken, lost, unidentified, and never stickered. Unbeknownst to me several pieces of fine art were never packed. Just put on the truck. The driver, Brian, initially refused to load my stuff to move it because it was so horribly packed. He was a total ** too though. Never once apologized for the job his company did. Went off on how Covid isn't real, And other asinine totally unrelated political issues to my move.

I have been moved professionally 10 times and by NAVL 3x. But this move was the absolute worst. And everyone keeps saying,"the pandemic!" No, customer service is customer service. I am estimating this move cost me the 8,100 they charged and several thousands more to fix busted art, smashed stained glass, lost china, router, DVR, DVD, remotes, legs to tables, busted dining room chairs, lamps... And who knows what just didn't make the move... Because they never identified/stickered the boxes they packed. Deplorable awful company. Loved them but over it. They all just pass the buck. No accountability whatsoever. Do not use this company until the summer rush is over. I was told it would have been 4,000 less after September and no novices would be used. This was the worst experience ever.

Original review: June 30, 2021

The packing and loading in Greenville was not satisfactory for the amount of money we spent. We discovered at the unloading points that there were quite a few broken items- and it’s clearly from poor treatment of our items. I am really astounded to be honest. The last long distance move we did- with Allied - the only casualty was a melted candle. So, it is possible to pay someone to move you without breaking a bundle of stuff. I reached out to DeHavens to see how the could help, but have yet to hear back from the point of contact Jim **. I would be hesitant to go with North American based on this affiliate's poor service.

Original review: June 25, 2021

The team was prompt, professional and efficient. Easy to work with and they made the move easy. They treated my furniture and personal belongings with care and communicated very well. Would highly recommend for anyone that is looking for fast, easy and professional.

Original review: June 17, 2021

Move was done extremely well. The crew was pleasant, efficient and careful. Took less time than estimated. I would use this company again and also recommend it to friends. The whole process was very easy from the initial survey and estimate to the completion of the move.

Original review: June 17, 2021

I really appreciated the effort and communication given by Ward. Our driver Randy was honest and very thorough. We really liked working with him. Jennifer at the office was great. She called to make sure we were aware of what was going on and what to expect. Overall I’m extremely satisfied with their help.

North American Van Lines Company Information