3.5/5 (483 ratings)
Find a Movers partner

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

About Purple Heart Moving Group

Whether you are being relocated for work, the military or simply looking to start a new chapter in a new city, Purple Heart Moving Group works to make the process as easy as possible. From packing to unloading, Purple Heart Moving Group is with you throughout the entire process. Reach out today and let Purple Heart Moving Group make your move as seamless as possible.

Find Moving Companies partners near you

Move With Ease

Get matched with a trusted, professional moving company.

Get Matched Now

Purple Heart Moving Group Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purple Heart Moving Group?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Purple Heart Moving Group?

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

Let me start with saying that I am generally the consumer who takes the time to review positive experiences or products. I do not like dwelling on negatives. But I feel strongly that I must warn all potential customers considering moving companies. I have moved at least a dozen times - both locally and nationally - and this was the absolute worst move of my life. Purple Heart overcharges for absolutely NO added value. Their process is a complete scam starting with the fact that they do everything over the phone. They say this will save the customer money. It allows them to quote a very low non-binding estimate (even tho their quotes are called "Binding Moving Estimate"). My initial quote was $3800. I revised my inventory so the new quote agreed upon was $5400. The move actually cost $8100, of which Purple Heart took $1600.

I paid this outrageous amount to actually help pack on the day of the move since not enough people were sent and to have everything delivered 5 days late (a mere 3 hours away). They do not communicate truthfully, making promises that are NOT kept. They do not communicate with the moving company they broker. I was told that 4-6 people would show up for packing and moving when in actuality 2 showed up. I was told they would be local movers - they actually came from 3 states away and showed up late. They told the movers it was a pickup/next day delivery when I clearly indicated repeatedly it was 5 days out. When issues arise, they either do not return calls or they answer with canned platitudes designed only to placate. They receive a lot of money but do NOTHING to earn the money. They do not advocate for you - you are left struggling on your own.

I am a seasoned business professional but was reduced to tears of frustration more than once by their absolute lack of customer service or ability to even pretend that they cared about you. Purple Heart takes your money but takes zero responsibility. They blame either you, the consumer, or the moving company they broker. I was attracted to the fact that supposedly some of your money supports Purple Heart Veteran's Organization. Due to their affiliation, I can no longer support Purple Heart and will find another avenue to supporting Veterans. I cannot stress enough: Do NOT use Purple Heart Moving Company as it will cost you in $$$, stress and emotional/physical pain and suffering.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

A 5K quote went to 10K and I couldn't do anything about it. UPDATE - Still can't. My initial conversations with Purple Heart = great. Sales people were kind and helpful as I have never used movers before. A few days before the pickup, they called to reconfirm and I adjusted the amount of stuff I had for the quote. Even asked for a few TV boxes. Again, the sales people were kind and reassuring. So, imagine my surprise with 3 teenagers show up in a large truck, a few hours late and start walking through my house. No Purple Heart, this is another company. I realize that Purple Heart just arranges it all. Purple Heart are not the movers.

Red FLAG 1. The young foreman walks through the house and says to me that he thinks there is more stuff there than on the contract. I ask him how much more? He says, "just a little." He then also explains to me that we will be paying for packing costs like boxes, wraps and more. THIS was the first time that I had heard of this cost. Outside of the TV boxes, not once had someone walked me through that.

Red FLAG 2. They start packing up. They're doing a good job and being mostly careful with all of it. They're putting everything in boxes. Everything. A fan? Gets a box. A picture frame that's wrapped? Gets a box. I'm thankful they were respectful with my stuff but even the washer and dryer...got a box. That I was paying for...that I did not know about before. We're leaving CA and heading to Oregon the very next day. They have everything packed up in the truck. Everything. It's 8pm the day before I'm moving. He tells me that the original quote of square footage was just over a thousand sq ft.

And the actual sq footage is 2400 sq ft. WHAT? How was the quote so far off? But now I'm stuck. Purple Heart was not answering my phone call (cause it was way after hours) and I'm leaving the next day. So, I agree to pay the initial cost and let him know that I will be calling to complain. SO, the next day Saturday September 19th, 2020...I call Purple Heart. Customer service answers. I walk her through what happened. She asked if the Foreman had walked me through a new quote once he had walked through the house. I said no. She seemed concerned. She said that she would get back to me. She did not. I called each day that week and left them a message. No response. Then, I got an email response with the contract of the moving company that I signed.

That was it. I wrote back that I was not satisfied, asking why their quote was SO far off? Customer service rep Mercedes **'s actual response was only this: "We provide an over the phone estimate. Of course an estimate given over the phone is not expected to be 100% solid final price. This is why we have the walk thru revision in place. This information is in detail on the estimate that is signed off on when you book your move Mr. **." I questioned again why their sq footage quote was so far off? No response.

Fast forward to today. October 20th, 2020. I have left more than 10 voicemails since then. I leave a voicemail for customer service and let them know that I have not been contacted about the storage or payment for that of my stuff and that I have left a ridiculous amount of voicemails and that if they didn't call back soon, I would only have the recourse of leaving bad reviews and that I was upset. 15 minutes later, got a call back from Mercedes. She connects the moving company rep to the phone. In summary, Mercedes continued to make this my fault.

The moving company (SNY) Relocation, said they only would reevaluate the SQ footage as they loaded it back onto the truck and credit me back anything if the sq footage changed. The foreman had me sign the revised quote at the end of the job...not before. Because I was naive, he tricked me. If their quote was even remotely accurate from the beginning, if they told me about the cost of moving supplies, and if the Foreman had told me how far off the quote was...I would not have done this.

Purple Heart. Apologize. Take responsibility. Adjust your quoting process. Offer some type of financial adjustment to me. Advocate for me to have a cost change with the moving company. Address the fact that the foreman did not walk me through the adjusted quote. Communicate that EVERYTHING has to be in a box...yes...even the washer and dryer. Communicate that Purple Heart is just the admin and is not the actual moving company. File this complaint about Mercedes ** and address this with her. Why were there so many voicemails and NO real explanation, no empathy or customer service care? This is an incredibly expensive lesson to learn, and I HOPE you learn from me if you've read this review. Don't go with Purple Heart. You'll get screwed.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2020

There is not enough space for what I would like to write! This company took advantage of two young adults just graduating from college. The company tells you one thing and when you question it in the contract you're told, "Don’t worry. That won’t pertain to you." They represent themselves as a family business and that’s disgraceful. They also put emphasis on military moves. Military BEWARE - you fight for our Country and I thank you for that - trust me don’t use this company or you will fighting on American soil!

Original review: Oct. 11, 2020

I called this moving company and the man on the phone - Nick - told me that because I wouldn't give him my credit card immediately on the phone and make a reservation before even getting approved for the new apartment in a new city, he told me that I was wasting his time! Me, a potential customer paying almost $2000, that I was wasting his time? He got irate with me on the phone and was totally bullying me and trying to force me to give my credit card --which was a major red flag. I ended up hanging up on him because he was speaking to me in such a disrespectful manner and talking over me while I was talking.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

This company took a large deposit from me, then canceled my move on the day of it. Took two weeks to get a refund check from them, and it has now been returned as unpaid, account closed. NEVER USE THEM!

Original review: Sept. 15, 2020

They are highly rated on Cons Reports which is why we chose them. If only I'd read Cons Affairs before finalizing. From start to finish, with the truck service they use (SNY) it's been a punishing experience - weird timeline, rude cust service folks, no idea where our things are while in transit, and the finish line: almost every single piece of furniture, including a Sleep Number mattress, is heavily damaged. Our furniture is very expensive, craftsman made and was flawless. It arrived deeply gouged, chunks of wood missing (from solid hardwood walnut furniture)...lamps bent, TV screen a total loss, porch furniture smashed... 80% of our furniture arrived significantly damaged. Some of the "protective wrapping" was paper and Saran wrap! And, breakable items shoved in large boxes with no packing at all. Which they then proceeded to put other objects on top of...

Our experience is so awful I simply can't believe they're in business. There are no words, when moving across the country, to be left with a house full of damaged furniture - including a mattress that they bent 'til they could fold it in half, thereby ruining it - the pressure mechanism can no longer work. A $4500 mattress, gone. They Do Not Care. Period. Whoever these 2 companies are, whatever their problem is, stay away. I'm left with weeks/months of uphill work to document, provide 2 estimates, receipts, photos, etc etc etc to get anything back. These outfits are very bad people with no competence in the field they're in. For shame, Purple Heart, SNY and Consumer Reports.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

You want your moving company to be responsive, knowledgeable and provide a satisfactory level of service when you entrust them with all of your possessions. This has not been the case for me with Purple Heart. My possessions were picked up 21 days ago. I could not even get a response for a reasonable target delivery until last week and if I don't hear from the movers within the next 24 hours, it was inaccurate. If you are planning a long-distance move, I would highly recommend going with a national moving company. You may see a cost difference in the quotes but when the movers actually come they let you know that it was inaccurate and then adjust the price to what I would have paid had I selected a national mover in the first place.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2020

They raised our cost, wouldn't listen to our situation, and incompetently handled everything. Then they showed up with a truck way too small. We called them and they didn't give us our deposit back, they claimed we refused service when in reality they didn't send us the right truck and the right help.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

STAY AWAY! They promised me a credit, they damaged my property and now won't return my calls. I have moved several times in my life both short and long distances. This is BY FAR, THE WORST EXPERIENCE I have every had. From scheduling (they told me one day on the phone but when the called to confirm, it was not that day and suddenly I'm told they get a two day window). The pick up. Total bait and switch. I specifically told the guy who quoted this what floor I was on. When the movers showed up, I had to give them an additional $150 in cash or they would not move me.. Another bait and switch. Things seemed to get better, 3 different people told me they would credit me $150 on my final bill. Then, when the RUDE person from the actual movers called me, she said no credit was due.

I then called Purple Heart AGAIN, and they said, yes, you would get the credit. Even the rude lady from the movers called me back and said I would get the credit. Not over yet. The next morning she texts me and said it's $75/floor and that they would only give me a $50 credit.. Nowhere in my. paperwork or in any of the discussions with the many people, did ANYONE mention $75/floor. This is not about the money.. I could care less.. This is about a shady company with shady employees who bait and switch you at every corner.

By the way, the wonderful toll free customer service number they say is so great, good luck getting someone to answer the actual phone... I say 90% of the time, I went into voice mail. It is now 4 days after my move, I have two messages into them about the credit and my damaged furniture and they have not returned my call. THERE ARE TOO MANY GOOD REPUTABLE COMPANIES OUT THERE TO EVEN CONSIDER Purple Heart MOVING especially if they give you a good price, because that will change when they know they have you backed into a corner. I will be filing a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. This company does not deserve to be in business. Thank you..

Original review: Sept. 1, 2020

My husband and I went to Purple Heart Moving Group thinking it was supportive of veterans and was rated as a highly reputable company. We were grossly mistaken. They do not stand behind their customers. We thought they were going to move us. They subcontract their work to questionable companies. In our case, Purple Heart Moving Group quoted us a final moving estimate of $7271.70. Although it is a lot of money, we felt it was reasonable, since I am a handicapped senior citizen and my husband has limitations as well. We were paying for them to pack us, move us, temporarily store items, and unpack us. We were pleased that they were able to provide moving services in the timeframe needed, as we needed to move out of our residence by 24 August to allow the new residents to move in.

We were expecting them on 19 August between 8 am and noon. They did not show up. Nor did we get a call from anyone. After we made some calls, we got a call back from the company rep around 2 in the afternoon. He said the mover was in an accident. They sent a different truck and movers on the following day, 20 August. When the 3 movers showed up, the Lead mover was escorted around and shown what was moving and what was staying. Upon completion of the tour, the Lead mover advised us that we were going to have to pay an additional $14500 and that an additional truck would be required. The new total was now nearly $22000! We had no means to pay this amount.

We were horrified and immediately called Purple Heart Moving Group while they were calling their company. Miranda, the Purple Heart rep, disagreed profusely with their estimate. When she talked with the Lead mover, he could not articulate why there was such a difference. We were at a deadlock. I suggested a conference call with the moving company's rep, Miranda and myself. Miranda said she wanted to speak with her manager first, which I thought was a good idea. I felt that she was going to be our advocate and get things back on track. She was mostly silent throughout the conference call, leaving me to discuss with the moving company's rep. Lucas was his name. He was arrogant, rude and disrespectful to me and Miranda and unwilling to negotiate on the price.

At this point, my husband stepped in and told him to remove his movers from our property. We hung up the phone and Miranda was immediately calling me. She told me that we did the right thing. She further stated that she would speak directly with the billing department about the circumstances, call me back on 24 August, and follow up with an email the same date. We accepted that and started making immediate arrangements with a new moving company for 24-25 August.

The new moving company quoted us $7800 total to pack us up, move our goods, temporarily store, and set us up. That is what we paid. Since speaking with Miranda on the 20th, I have not heard back from her or anyone else from Purple Heart Moving Group. This is despite numerous attempts by us to reach her or someone to get an update on our refund of our deposit of $2555.80. We have left voicemails on Miranda's phone, and have been repeatedly forwarded to the central customer service number. Messages were left there as well. After more than a week of trying to reach someone, it was apparent that Purple Heart Moving Group was intentionally ignoring us. They had our deposit and had no intention of giving it back to us. We have subsequently filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and here with Consumer Affairs.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

Do not hire this company! They don't have their own trucks! This company farms out jobs to unknown local movers who are horrible! Random guys showed up with a UHAUL to move our stuff across the US. They promised 10-14 days and now say it will be over 30 DAYS! Worse, worse company ever!

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. PURPLE HEART HAS NO INTEGRITY AT ALL. They will tell you they are not a Broker. They are a Broker and that is all they do. They will tell you your furniture will not go into storage and it will. They flat out lied to me about everything. When they came to pick up my things another company showed up. That company said that I had more than 1,000 cubic feet to move. They told me I had almost 2,000 cubic feet to move. The other company told me I owed them another $4,000. That group was SNY Relocation Company. They are just as bad as Purple Heart. They told me they would only take 1,000 cubic feet if I didn't pay the $4,000. So they took less than half of my things I needed to move.

After they packed my things up they took it to a storage unit where it sat for 2 weeks. We had been in our house for three weeks before the furniture ever came. They will tell you 10-14 days but that is a lie. Those days are from the time they decide to move it out of the warehouse. That leads me to the best part of this whole fiasco. Another company, Cross Country Movers, picked up my stuff from the storage and brought it here. Three different companies moved my furniture. Three different trucks. And since they wouldn't take the rest of my boxes and furniture at home, we had to pay another $2,000 to send it in pods (still $2,000 less than SNY wanted to charge). We paid three different companies to move half my belongings. Here is the best part. The boxes and furniture in the pods were here before the things the movers had taken.

Purple Heart is not a group you want to use. All of these groups are terrible. They work together to make as much money off of you as they can. SNY Relocation is no better. When I tried to talk with Chelsea at Purple Heart and she just kept putting me off and would not call back. If I did get ahold of her she said she was looking into it still. I never heard back from her again. This was the worst experience of my life. I will never use one of these groups again to move across country.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

They give you a low ball estimate, then then driver arrives and he doubles the price. They will only take postal money orders or cash. Then charge you 2300 dollars for boxes and supplies a bid that was 8600 is now 15000 dollars. You must pay before you can move. Then he won’t unload Until your bank wires them the rest of the money. Not only that they want a picture text of the receipt before he unloads. When you unpack you find many things broken from mishandling. Never hire them. They don’t have trucks. They just handle the logistics. They used MAP moving for us. In my opinion the worst con job I’ve ever experienced.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2020

So disappointed in how I was spoken to by Nick. He repeatedly told me to “do the math,” trashed talked competitors for way too long, and told me I should’ve done more research before even contacting anyone else. I could tell he was used to saying the same thing over and over to customers and it was very hard to get a word in to ask him a question. Very condescending and extremely rude! As a representative of the company he leaves an incredibly bad view of what they’re like. Maybe someone else there would’ve been nicer and more helpful, but Nick D. is the reason this company lost my business. If anyone can get away with speaking so poorly to customers then I have to assume the business that allows this behavior is shady as well. Based on the other reviews I’m reading here that’s correct!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

This company (broker) provides you with a quote, takes the initial payment (50%) for a long distance haul and then when picking up the material raise the price by 45%. Also, they advertise 5-24 day delivery from east coast to west. It was well over that and claim no liability or would not honor compensation. They are not honest with their customers and their delivery sub-supplier MAP Moving and Storage is just as bad except they lie even more! Stay away from this company!

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

I tried to cancel and would lose $100 deposit because I did not realize they were brokers. They talked me out of it and this company wrote to me they would send a reputable mover. They named two legit companies and text me I would have one of them. They told me they would let me know 2 to 3 days before my move who would be coming and actual day. The quote was about $6400. I booked it July 1st for August 1/2. I knew the quote could be higher if foreman thought it was more. But they also said they padded the estimate. They called Friday for Sunday move: The company was Out of State Moving Services. NOT the 2 companies they assured me I would have. No website, no reviews, no records, and they had F rating on BBB with a note saying they were “out of business“.

So the dispatch calls me reassured me they have great record on Department of Transportation. They show up in a 26 ft Penske truck for a large 4 bedroom home. They said right away that they needed another truck. The truck fit on my driveway. They said that the move would be $7500 more (total $9500) cash only. No contract, no official indication they were a company at all. We called Purple Heart, they were useless. We cancelled. We didn’t trust the situation. Not a single company estimated that high. We lost $2095.10 deposit.

Original review: July 24, 2020

Do not use this company! Read all Google reviews and the BBB! They are a broker and they will mislead you. I still do not have my goods and it's past the expected delivery with NO response from them nor the movers they hired! Stay clear!

Original review: July 18, 2020

My estimate was approximately 7,700, the actual cost was over 14,000. The salesman I spoke with lied to me about multiple things. Including if and when I could change the pick up date. I was floored when I was told my total. Not recommended at all. Complete 100% scam.

Original review: July 2, 2020

- Problem with inaccurate estimate. I had an extra $1,000 added at pick up.

- Problem with delivery. Day 7 & still waiting for my possession with no information as to when to expect delivery.

My move was arranged with SNY Relocation System via Purple Heart. I was guaranteed delivery within 2-5 days of pick up. On Day 5 I called Purple Heart to enquire when to expect delivery, however I was told that the moving truck had 'broken down' and that delivery would now be within the next 7 days. I've spoken with rep of Purple Heart several times and they are unable to find out from SNY Relocation System when to expect delivery. I've had to chase people down myself, I'm still waiting for answers, its ridiculous.

Original review: May 27, 2020

I got a price to move my 2 bedroom furniture from Los Angeles to Las Vegas. We have a lot of household goods and some very large furniture and their bid came in at 7700.00. In a hurry, I agreed and paid the the 2600.00 deposit. This deposit was refundable, less a 10% fee. They were scheduled to come on a Monday morning, so I suggested that they change it to Sunday, for their convenience and parking availability. This was done during the same phone call as the initial booking. They issued a new contract to me via email, indicating the change. I thought this was strange, but it didn't seem important. My wife wanted to check other movers, so after a more in depth search, we found a Local Las Vegas company that routinely did moved from Los Angeles. They quoted me 3700.00. For less than half the price, I agreed. I canceled the move with Purple Heart, expecting to pay a 10% penalty, and they agreed for the time being.

A couple hours later they called and informed me, that since I had rescheduled the move, they were not required to refund the deposit, since they had to reschedule their movers. That was an obvious lie, since they never scheduled anyone for pickup. This was all done a month before the move was scheduled. Many calls and conversations resulted in no change to their decision. I got screwed out of 2600.00 and still saved nearly 1500.00 over the initial estimate. These people are thieves and frauds. I was also told that I was given the Veterans' discount. I can't believe that any company would trade on a name like Purple Heart while dealing with Veterans and actual Purple Heart recipients.

Original review: May 24, 2020

Every step in the process I was charged 2 to 3 times the estimate. When I complained, I was told that it was my fault. Then when my furniture arrived, it was broken. Choosing Purple Heart ranks with some of my greatest mistakes. Go with anyone else!

Original review: May 24, 2020

1/14/20 my disabled wife and I engaged Purple Heart Moving to move us on 4/23/20. We had accepted an offer on our home with a closing date of 4/23. On 1/23/20 the offer fell through and on 1/29/20 we accepted a different offer with a rent back agreement such that we could stay in our home until our new home was built. On 1/30/20 we changed the pickup date to 8/16 because that was the date our new home was scheduled to be completed. On 5/23/20, I contacted Purple Heart Moving to say that we wanted to cancel the contract. Believing that we were well in advance of the 5 day notice to cancel within the pickup date of 8/16, we thought we would get a refund of our $1330 deposit minus 5% as the contract states. HOW WRONG I WAS!

Purple Heart informed us, via email, that we were outside of our ORIGINAL pickup date of 4/23 therefore no refund was forthcoming. I emailed Purple Heart that we had changed the pickup date 2 weeks after it was scheduled back in January, and I was not informed, at the time, that our contract required us to adhere to the original pickup date. I received no response to my email. Purple Heart’s name implies they are helpful to veterans, but we believe their actions demonstrate otherwise. I am a veteran and we’ve lost our money on a technicality, but maybe this complaint will help other veterans to keep theirs.

Original review: March 9, 2020

I loved the way Purple Heart Moving Group worked! They were very organized making sure each room was packed and arranged in the same area so when unloading I can arrange in the easiest way possible for me to unpack. They were very considerate, and had positive attitudes throughout the move. I will be calling for any future move they were awesome!

Original review: March 4, 2020

These people are LIARS and THIEVES! Not only they charged us $5,000 more than the quote we received but they promised refunds they never sent and will not pay back for overcharging. Every time you bring proofs they overcharged, they lie and find other excuses or they stop responding. Don't give them any money, they don't deserve a penny!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2020

Purple Heart took away the stress of moving. They gave me a free initial estimate and they stayed true to their word. They handled all of my packing. and moving and I didn't have to worry about any of it!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

The worst moving company ever, do not use!!! I was moved several times by professional movers with my job. I honestly never had a problem with breakage or delivery, etc. Like all the other reviews on this site, I did not research enough about this horrible company. They are definitely nothing but brokers that want to take your money. They are definitely nothing but brokers that take your money. I was told I could do Charge a credit card for the first deposit. The second payment would be when the furniture is picked up and I could use a credit card. That was definitely not the case, I had to give them cash at that time. I had called several times stating that I needed to add some items, and a gal said “don’t worry about it, you are overthinking this move."

The driver finally showed up after several cancels. He claimed his truck was being worked on, and he showed up with a U-Haul to move all my furniture to storage. Never was I told this, and because I yelled enough, they didn’t charge me the normal settling paid which is $500. Now I have no idea where my furniture is or if I will ever see it. It’s supposed to be delivered within 2 to 5 days, heaven only knows if I will ever see it again. I never knew anything about a broker moving furniture.

Buyer beware, as others have stated, I did not see the Consumer Affairs reviews until after it was too late. With all the stress of moving, this certainly was the last thing I needed to deal with. I can’t believe there are people out there that do this to other people during a very stressful time of need. And yes my driver hired to flunky contractors that showed up in a junk beat up car. They did move quickly, shelves all my furniture in this little U-Haul truck, including strapping my mattress on the back of the truck. Shame on these people.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2020

A Big NO NO. They arranged other mover and don't have own movers. Damaged $4000 worth of items and the insurance paying me $166. When I ask Purple Heart about the damage, they say, it's not their job and asking to fight with insurance. I am utterly disappointed and please go for other trusted movers. Judge yourself. All the best if you still want to go with them.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

I moved with Purple Heart recently and was very nervous and stressed out but I have to say they really exceeded my expectations. Initially I had an issue with a few missing boxes when my things were delivered but I got a call back a few days later that they tracked it down and they delivered it to me within the week! I couldn't be happier with the service they provided and how they handled my items and my concerns. I will certainly recommend them to my friends and family moving forward.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

*SHORT VERSION* The following is based on our experience with Purple Heart Moving Group (PHMG) in the context of a move from PA to FL (contract signed in February 2019, move in June/July 2019). Do not choose PHMG, as you will most likely end up paying more in money, time, nerves, effort, and lost/damaged furniture than you would if you went with a) a reliable moving company that seems to be more expensive at first glance or b) a DIY move. It seems to be part of PHMG’s business strategy to:

1. Lie to customers on the phone and promise services that are not included in the actual contract;

2. Lure in customers with unrealistically low quotes (around 50 % of the actual cost);

3. Tell customers to go along with whatever unexpected charges come up, and that PHMG will recalculate everything and provide reimbursements once the move has been completed—but once the move is over, they tell customers that all the papers have been signed and that it is too late for any recalculations or reimbursements;

4. Sub-contract with unreliable movers, who may, in addition to being bad movers, not speak English and who may sub-sub-contract part of the move to yet other companies that PHMG does not know about;

5. Have terrible communication with both the customer and their sub-(sub-)contractors;

6. Defer any responsibility for delays, damages, losses, and false promises to the sub-(sub-)contractors, incl. providing a very tedious online claims system through which you will have to work out any reimbursements with the sub-(sub-)contractors,

7. Offer angry customers hush money, a sum much less than the actual damage or cost increase, to prevent them from posting reviews.

*LONG VERSION* WHAT IT MEANS TO DO BUSINESS WITH PHMG. PHMG is a broker, no matter what they tell you on the phone (My wife was told by PHMG that they were not a broker), which means that they will not handle your move, and instead sub-contract with whoever can give them a good rate. In our case, this led to:

1. Difficulties in communication regarding pick-up and delivery as well as how to handle payments and reimbursements (in other words: when we told PHMG that the movers had arrived on site with an incorrect inventory of our move and were spending hours on setting up their own, new inventory, although we had provided PHMG with a complete inventory three days before, PHMG told us that we did not have any “actionable” complaints and that there was nothing they could do for us; then our furniture was virtually lost for three weeks and nobody knew where it was or when it would be delivered; and when my wife called PHMG to inform them that their sub-contractors had charged us incorrectly, they told me to do what it takes to please the movers and that PHMG would handle all reimbursements after the completion of our move, but when it was time for the reimbursements, I was told that I had signed the documents with which the movers had provided me and that there was nothing that PHMG could do for me at this point);

2. Having to deal with moving companies for pick-up and delivery on whose selection you have zero influence;

3. Having to make out personal checks and money orders to companies with whom you do not have a contract, and occasionally even having to make out checks or money orders to the driver of the moving truck;

4. Having our boxes and furniture loaded and unloaded three times (pick-up from our apartment, transfer to a large truck, transfer to a shuttle truck, delivery at our apartment), which increases the likelihood of damages due to improper handling, getting rained on, and/or soaking in dirt water on the floor.

PROBLEMS WITH ADMINISTRATION AND PLANNING

1. We did not receive the promised 24-to-48-hour advance warning before the pick-up of our furniture. I called PHMG the night before the move to ask if there are any updates, and I was told that the movers show up in 14 hours (8 am the next day).

2. Movers had an incorrect moving inventory, although I had spent almost one hour on the phone with PHMG three days prior to move to update the moving inventory. The inaccurate moving inventory resulted in the movers’ showing up with a half-full truck that was too small to load all of our furniture; a delay in loading because the movers had to create a new inventory; a different pick-up charge than the one with which PHMG had provided me three days prior to the move.

3. Instead of the “estimated” delivery of 4–10 business days, it took 3 weeks and 3 days (from June 27 to July 21) for our furniture to be delivered.

4. The movers did not know to which address to deliver our furniture because PHMG had not provided them with this information.

5. We called PHMG frequently during the last two weeks of waiting for our furniture. We were first told that the furniture would arrive between July 11 and July 14, then it was rescheduled for July 15/16, then for July 18. When nobody had shown up by the evening of July 18, we were promised that the furniture would arrive on July 19. When nobody had shown up by the afternoon of July 19, we were promised that the furniture would arrive on July 20. The movers did show up on July 20, but they spent the day renting a U-Haul truck and loading our furniture from semi-truck into the U-Haul truck. By the time they had delivered a quarter of our things, they were tired and had to stop. They came back the morning of July 21 and unloaded the U-Haul until the afternoon.

6. We did not receive the promised 1-day, 3-hour, and 1-hour advance call before our furniture was delivered. Instead, the movers called once they were standing in front of the gate.

7. We were not informed until the delivery crew arrived that we would have to pay a shuttle fee (from the semi-truck to our apartment). It was a late Saturday afternoon in Florida, and we were unable to obtain the required postal money order, as all the post offices in our area were now closed. (PHMG arranged for us to be allowed to use a regular money order, which was, I believe, the only time that their customer support was helpful).

8. Nobody had arranged for a shuttle truck to transfer our belongings from the semi-truck to the apartment. The truck driver had to rent a U-Haul truck, which was only available after a 3-hour wait. Combined with the time it took the movers to transfer our belongings to the shuttle, this resulted in a delivery beginning at 7 pm on July 20, although we were told that the delivery would begin in the morning.

PROBLEMS WITH CHARGES AND PAYMENTS

1. The original quote that we were given when we first called PHMG was way too low and PHMG “adjusted” our payment three days before the move. The new quote was twice as high as the original quote. Here is what happened: Although I had provided PHMG with an accurate account of the amount, type, and size of our furniture during the first phone conversation, PHMG estimated that we would need 30 boxes. My wife insisted that her books alone fill 30 boxes, and so PHMG increased the estimated number of boxes to 50. We ended up moving 125 boxes. Furthermore, although I had provided PHMG with the dimensions of our furniture, they entered every bookshelf as a small bookshelf, our extendable dining table as a kitchen table for two, etc. The original quote was hence completely and (in my opinion) deliberately unrealistic.

2. The payment due at pick-up was higher than the sum that PHMG had told us was owed that day. PHMG told me to pay whatever the movers asked me to pay, and that they would sort it out later (which they never did).

3. Packing materials are, according the contract with PHMG, included in the charge. Nonetheless, the movers charged us for packing materials. PHMG refused to reimburse these costs.

4. Two different reps from PHMG told me on the phone that all of our furniture would be disassembled and reassembled for free by the movers, and this is also stated in the contract (all furniture that is required to be disassembled for a safe move, and since most of our furniture got severely damaged, it was obviously unsafe for the pieces to be moved as-is). Disassembling all furniture makes sense because PHMG charged us by volume, not by weight. However, the movers did not disassemble our furniture except for two tables upon pick-up, and the movers who delivered the furniture did not even have tools to reassemble the two tables. When we asked to be reimbursed for the air transported inside of our non-disassembled furniture, PHMG refused.

5. The movers refused to disassemble our wardrobe. Consequently, it did not fit in the elevator. The movers gave us two options: either pay them $ 140 in cash to carry the wardrobe down the stairs, or have them leave the wardrobe behind. We did not have the cash and had to trash the wardrobe because it was too late in the evening to find another solution to the problem and we could not reach PHMG on the phone. Note: Most likely, the wardrobe would not even have fit into the moving truck, which arrived half-full of other people’s things, so it seems to me that the movers weren’t even trying.

6. We were told that the down-payment and the pick-up charge were calculated based on an extremely generous estimate of the volume of our move, and that the actual volume would be measured on the truck, and that our final payment (on the day of delivery) would be adjusted to reflect the difference between the actual volume and the initial overestimate. This should, according to PHMG, have brought our final payment close to zero. However, we had to pay the full price that was based on the original (over)estimate. I called PHMG to inquire about that, and they told me to pay the full amount that the movers request, and that they would reimburse me later on. After the move was completed, my wife requested an adjustment of the bill that was based on the actual volume of our move. We were told that the actual volume was never measured, and that we signed off on the estimate when the movers first picked up the furniture, and that we would not receive any reimbursement for any overestimates.

PROBLEMS WITH MOVERS ON-SITE

1. Upon pick-up, the movers were 4 hours late, upon delivery, several days (see above).

2. Both groups of movers spoke barely any English, and the designated person on the pick-up crew who was supposed to speak English didn’t really; the delivery crew did not even have a designated English-speaking person. This led to: extreme delay of creating a new inventory upon pick-up; creating a wrong inventory upon pick-up (e.g., “iron table” instead of “ironing board” and “stool” instead of “toolbox”); impossibility to contest any demands in payments or refusals to provide services that are part of the contract with PHMG.

3. Handwritten inventories are ineligible, but we had no choice other than to sign everything.

4. The delivery crew consisted of only two men, for full two-bedroom apartment. If we understood correctly, the crew was supposed to consist of four people, but two had taken off with the money from the previous job and gone drinking.

5. The delivery was extremely slow, which is understandable considering that two people had to carry the contents of a 2-bedroom-apartment to the third floor of a Florida apartment in July. They had to take frequent breaks lasting 10 to 20 minutes, and some of our belongings were sitting in the rain while they were taking breaks.

6. The slow speed of delivery caused the delivery to become an overnight ordeal. The delivery crew started unloading at 7 pm, got tired by 11 pm, and asked to come back the next morning at 8 am. They promised it would only take them another hour or two to finish. They showed up at 8:30 am and completed their job at 1 pm.

7. Both moving crews left behind trash in our apartment and on the stairs.

8. The delivery crew damaged our apartment, including severe dents and deep scratches in two doors and multiple walls, ceilings, columns, and base boards.

9. The delivery crew did not unwrap or reassemble our furniture. We had to unwrap the furniture ourselves and carry the moving blankets to the truck.

10. The delivery crew did not put furniture where we wanted it and/or put it against the wall sideways or backwards and still in blankets and plastic wrap.

11. Both crews literally threw our boxes into and out of trucks, including items that contained “FRAGILE” stickers.

12. One quarter of our boxes and two thirds of our furniture got damaged (scratched, torn, dented, broken, drenched, and/or soiled), partially completely destroyed. The movers had placed large items at the bottom and smaller items on top, which resulted, for example, in a wardrobe box being at the bottom of very large stack of boxes and getting completely smashed—and with it my wife’s wedding dress. Multiple cardboard boxes and furniture also sat on the ground in the rain.

PROBLEMS WITH PHMG CUSTOMER SUPPORT

1. PHMG employees lied to us in various ways. First, they told us that they are not a broker, which they are. Second, they told us that all furniture would be disassembled, which it wasn’t. Third, they told us that we would only pay for the actual volume of our move, but we ended up paying for an estimated volume that was created via phone by a PHMG employee who neither set foot in our apartment ever nor saw the moving truck, and who told us himself that his estimate was an extreme overestimate. Fourth, they told us that cashier’s check and credit card were acceptable payment methods upon delivery, which they aren’t. Fifth, when confronted with these lies, they told us that nobody had ever told us the things on this list, i.e., they lied about lying.

2. When we called PHMG and informed them that the pick-up crew did not have the correct inventory for our move and was going to charge us a sum higher than the amount with which PHMG had provided me, we were told that this was not an “actionable” complaint.

3. PHMG was frequently unavailable over the phone and did not call back when we left voice mails requesting calls back.

4. PHMG customer support reps were frequently rude and disinterested, and almost always unhelpful.

5. We requested five times in different phone calls and voice mails to speak to a customer support supervisor, and our requests were denied or not answered. Excuses included that the supervisor was too busy, in meetings, and sick. We insisted that all incorrect charges be sorted out before we have to make our final payment (upon delivery), because we knew that we would not be reimbursed. Nothing was handled before delivery and the supervisor never called. Weeks after, the supervisor emailed us and we were offered a tiny reimbursement that does not even begin to cover our financial damages and inappropriate charges.

6. This small “reimbursement” would not have come without strings attached: it was hush money. We would have had to sign a contract that would not have allowed us to publish any online reviews or publicize our bad experience with PHMG in any other way.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

I used Purple Heart Moving Group to move my mother and father from Wichita Kansas Santa Fe New Mexico, so they could be closer to the rest of our family. I had to set everything up remotely and was very concerned about how I was going to figure everything out. When I contacted Purple Heart, I explained the circumstances of this move and they were so understanding about my concerns. The rep I talked to even suggested that the movers do all of the packing for my parents. I didn’t even know that was an option!

I looked at a few other companies, but ended up coming right back to Purple Heart. I just felt more comfortable talking to them. Move day went smoothly from what my parents told me. The movers came in and packed everything up and were very friendly to my parents (who can be a bit on edge as they get older). 2 days later, the movers got to my parents new home. They basically staged the house for them. They put all of the furniture where it was needed and put all of the boxes in the rooms my mother pointed them to. I would have had to take off so much work and make multiple trips to and from if I did this on my own. I am forever thankful to Purple Heart for helping my parents move.

Purple Heart Moving Group Company Information