1.3/5 (91 ratings)
Find a Heating and Cooling Systems partner

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning?

Original review: July 26, 2022

They did their Rejuvenation on my AC unit and forgot to clean the drain line. The line got clogged and stopped working. They said they were too busy to come out. Cost me another $300 to fix it by another company. No refund unless I paid an ADDITIONAL fee for them to send someone out to verify. They can't verify because it is now fixed. What a racket!

Original review: June 22, 2022

DO NOT WORK WITH THIS COMPANY. (Short version: After paying $503, my home is hotter than it was before One Hour Heating and Cooling visited my home.) I called on Monday because I had issues cooling my home below 75-76 during the hottest part of the day, but it would cool to 70-71 at night. Highs in Bham, AL have been ~95. While the temperature inside my house was not unbearable, I wanted to have my HVAC unit checked out before the next heatwave hit.

MONDAY: The technician arrived at 2PM. At this time, the temperature inside my home was 75, and the outdoor temp was at its high of 92 (comfortable, but not hitting my sweet spot of 72). By 2:30PM, the technician completed the diagnostic, told me that my unit was low on freon, and quoted $503 to add 3 lbs. He told me that I should be good to go in a few hours but advised that there MIGHT be a leak and it’s possible the freon would continue to leak. He told me if there was a leak, the freon would only last me a few months, and I might back in the same position come Sept/Oct.

Because the temperature in my home was 76 during the hottest part of the day, I decided to go ahead and have the technician add freon for $503. Based on his assessment, the worst outcome would be that my HVAC would be functioning as before come early Fall when outdoor temperatures are cooler. I figured adding freon would get me through the hottest months of the year and into Fall. Because my AC cooled fine at night when the outside temps were cooler, I was OK with this outcome. It would give me time to shop for a company to replace my system.

3-8PM: While the outdoor temps were dropping, the temps inside my home were rising. By 8PM, my thermostat was reading 84-85. MY HOME HAD NEVER EVER BEEN THAT HOT BEFORE – even during the hottest days the week before when Bham was under a heat advisory. THE TEMPERATURE INSIDE MY HOME HAD INCREASED 10 DEGREES AFTER PAYING $503 TO FIX THE PROBLEM. I called customer service that night and explained what was going on. They told me they would send a tech the next day (Tuesday) but couldn’t give me a time window so I had to use PTO again to wait on the tech. Monday night was extremely rough, with inside temps reaching 86 while outdoor temps ranged from 70-76. At one point, it was 15 degrees hotter inside than outside.

TUESDAY. The tech arrived at 11:20AM (same tech as before). At ~12PM, he informed me that the compressor wasn’t running because the capacitor was bad. I asked why he added freon the day before if the problem was a bad capacitor. He told me that the compressor was running fine and the capacitor wasn’t broken the day before. He said it must have “COINCIDENTALLY” failed in 1-2 hrs after he left (I kid you not, he said this was a COINCIDENCE, & he sees it all the time). He changed the capacitor and told me the freon levels were perfect and where they should be. I was annoyed, but hopeful my AC would be fixed. After ~3hrs, the temp inside had dropped to 80-81…which is still 6 degrees HOTTER than before the tech ever came out.

I called customer service again at ~4:45. They told me they could send a new tech the following day, but because they were so busy, they couldn’t give me a time, meaning I’d have to take PTO for a 3rd day to wait for a tech. They also told me it’d be another $89 for them to visit if they discovered a “new issue” with my HVAC. She said if there weren’t any “new issues,” then I wouldn’t be charged the $89. Seeing how my capacitor “COINCIDENTALLY” broke in the 1-2 hr after the tech left, I was obviously not OK with paying another $89. As he said, they see these COINCIDENCES ALL THE TIME, so I have no doubt there’d be another coincidence. After talking to her manager, they agreed to waive the $89 fee. Because I can’t take off from work again tomorrow, I’ll have to wait until Friday for a new tech to come out. As of 9PM on Tuesday, it's 81 degrees (hotter than it was before they ever visited). We’ll see what Friday brings.

Get buying tips about Heating and Cooling Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 17, 2022

AC unit went out. Came out same day and stated it would be 4750.00 to fix it and 7056.00 for new unit. Quote also wasn’t itemized on what each item cost and how much was labor. Got second quote for a comparable unit from another company and they quoted 4000.00 to put in new unit. Obviously they got my business.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2022

The One Hour Air-Conditioning & Heating tech arrived, removed the blower cover inside my house, turned the AC unit on, and just LOOKED at it and said: "Your blower motor is shot and needs replacing". He said the cost would be UPWARDS of $1500 to replace the motor. Then he said that it would probably be better to just REPLACE THE ENTIRE Inside Air Handler... Somewhere between 3 and 5 thousand!! He was pushing this idea and even giving me estimated monthly notes. I thanked him for the diagnose, paid the $100 diagnostic fee, and asked him to leave.

I called the next company and the tech came and opened the blower cover and connected a meter and began testing. Five minutes later he said that the control board is bad. I asked him about the blower motor and he said that it was fine...just the control board needed replacing. He replaced the control board and was pulling out of our driveway 37 minutes after arriving and the TOTAL COST was $620-That included the $85 diagnostic charge! Well, you can guess who we will be bad-mouthing and who we will be praising in the future. Not to mention, they now have a lifelong customer. It MAY have been a fluke but I would suggest AVOIDING One Hour Heat & Air and just pick another company. Their tech, although a very nice guy, OBVIOUSLY had No Clue what he was doing. Heck, even on YouTube they teach you how to TEST with a meter. The One Hour guy just LOOKED at it!!

Original review: June 11, 2021

Updated on 06/30/2022: Spent over $7,000.00 for brand new system. Year and a half later they have not fixed unit. Worst experience in over 50 years in Hampton Roads area. Customer service, workers, salesmen and management absolutely no help.

Original Review: One Hour came to my house in Nov. and charged lots of money for a central heat and cooling system. The guys worked in a thunderstorm putting the system in. The unit never got the house warm, and One hour never helped us, so we bought 2 electric space heaters and wore sweatshirts and blankets. May came and 90 degree temperatures outside. We sit in 80 degree plus heat every night! Company finally sent out a worker who said to change the air filter and we did. No improvement. The company took 2 days, not one hour to send someone out. Receptionist says since Norfolk inspector OK'd install so they will do nothing about it. As bad as the unit performs, our gas and electric bill is 30% higher than our 22 plus old unit was. No further response from the company. Never heard from the salesman. They continue to ignore us while we sweat it out!

Original review: May 6, 2021

Absolutely nothing was wrong with unit. We were just doing the regular required maintenance....UNIT WORKING FINE. Then this guy comes and does something and the fan won't start...mind you this unit is fairly new. So he says he has to replace the capacitor...$15 piece. Charges $129 + $75 "Maintenance Fee "... A total of $204 spent out when we were having a perfectly good morning with no issues... Shame on them for taking advantage like this. Then the lady on the phone ask..."Do you want him to take it off..." Well hell no because we don't have a clue of how to put it on and we need it for the air to work....INFORMATION THEY ARE QUITE AWARE OF. You reap what you sow????

Resolution response: March 15, 2021

After my comment below, I was contacted by Cody (regional manager), who did a very detailed follow-up on my case. I was able to get a reimbursement of 20% of the initial repair I did last year. He also did contact the technician that did my maintenance service and it was determined that the way the compressor was checked was not the appropriate one. Because of that professional follow-up and a sincere apology on how things were managed, I have increased the rating from 1 to 4 stars.

Original review: March 5, 2021

This is how this company works. They will provide an outstanding first service to you in order to create a good impression. Once you subscribe to their maintenance program, they will do everything possible to have a visit at your place as soon as possible. In my case, Austin came to point out the worn out parts in my system (no actual maintenance nor cleaning was provided). Then the worst happened, “coincidentally” my outdoor unit was declared as failed and compressor stopped working during his maintenance test (it was working perfectly that morning and no issues even during the deep freeze we had), followed by all the options to install a complete new system from 9K to 17K.

This sounded very suspicious and I called my cousin, who is engineer. He was able to fix my compressor in 2 minutes, HE NOTICED THAT WIRING WAS COMPROMISED TO CAUSE IT TO GROUND AND BURN. I can’t describe the frustration and anger I feel towards the unethical and unprofessional behavior of One Hour Air Conditioning and Heating. They should be ashamed to embroider the American flag on their uniform. Sharing this so that no other customer falls on this type of despicable techniques.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

I was first introduced to Scott’s One Hour Air when my AC stopped working in the middle of the summer. My wife was home that day and after calling around Scott’s was the only place that would respond that day. $1450 later the tech replaced the condenser fan motor and capacitor. That price seemed very steep to me but my wife had her AC again in and in just a half a day’s time. Six months later during a routine service visit the tech discovered mold behind the air handler. I knew this old house needed new ducts as well so I spent $19K on a complete 3 ton system for my 1275 square foot home. New green flex ducts, compressor and air handler and Scott’s top tier warranty. The sales person readily agreed to everything I asked for and the contract was signed. This included 18 SEER Goodman system, lifetime electronics warranty and 20 year compressor warranty.

The install went well until the installers wanted to change the air handler location from the attic back to a tiny closet where the old 2.5 ton air handler was. This was measured several times before the contract was signed and it was determined to be too small for the 3 ton unit. The installers said they could now somehow squeeze it in but I said no. Everything went downhill from there. I had to put up with their nasty attitudes until they were finished. The final inspection was dismal as the master bedroom was 4 degrees warmer than the rest of the house. The other two bedrooms sounded like an arctic blast coming out of the ducts. Several visits later the duct design was changed to a 10” direct feed but that only helped by 2 degrees. The last tech said there was some restriction in the master bedroom duct work and that he couldn’t get to the roof area over the bedroom as he was too big.

The installation manager Eric finally told me that if I don’t stop complaining his installers might come to my home and physically assault me. Wow, really bad way of dealing with failure. I tried to go up the ladder but that was proving difficult and I kept getting Eric instead. The owner seemed to be well insulated from his customers. I believe an indication of a badly run company. This top tier service plan I purchased included six month interval visits. Very young techs were sent out and they seemed more interested in selling me upgrades than actually doing any preventative maintenance work. Most had sour looks when they discovered I had originally bought every upgrade possible. None of the techs ever cleaned the condenser and evaporator. When I asked why not I was always told they were not dirty. One tech even came out and asked if everything was working ok then turned around and left.

Several months after the install but still under the original “bumper to bumper” warranty period the system stopped cooling. It had developed a R410 leak somewhere. Out of the next three visits none of the techs looked at the evaporator. They just looked over the condenser, scratched their heads and made excuses to not go into the attic where the air handler was. Every visit the R410 was charged up along with some dye and off they went. After some time I was contacted by someone from Scott’s One Hour saying I needed to sign a different lesser warranty contract as they no longer offered the original contract I signed. I said no. I want to keep my original contract. Their response to this was to just stop coming out for maintenance without informing me. I was working 60+ hours a week and let time slip by with no visit from Scott’s. I never had to call for routine maintenance before so why now?

Later on even this 3 ton unit could not keep my small house cool again. I called the 888 number and they sent a young tech out. He injected even more dye without inspecting the evaporator. This visit was when I realized they voided my warranty by not coming out. The tech asked why I stopped the original top tier maintenance and I replied that I didn’t. Scott’s just stopped coming out or contacting me. I can only assume that maybe they wanted to shed the better warranty I signed up and paid for. Taught me a lesson! I guess the leak of refrigerant during the original warranty has legal EPA ramifications if not addressed so they did respond to this service for a service fee.

Next visit was another young tech who at first tried to convince me my 7 day old air filter was dirty. Once I got him back on track he found the leak in the evaporator and left. The third visit was another young tech who seemed a bit more mature than the first two. He replaced the evaporator which took him about eight hours. I tried to provide some cool air via a portable AC unit but the attic still was in the 90’s but at least not the usual 120 degrees. He also swapped out the orifice valve with an un-insulated external TXV valve. Of course this leaks condensation so I had to fabricate a separate drip pan piggy backed on the main drip pan below the air handler case to keep my ceiling dry. I guess the condensation just evaporates away and causes no harm to my attic?

He also forgot to bring nitrogen for the welding and did not follow the manufacture’s recommended procedure of evacuating the entire system, run a vacuum and charge by weight. After the evaporator replacement the system has been working well other than a very slight surge sound from the compressor. After this repair and on just one day with a house full of people going in and out the house and it being a 100 degree day the system couldn’t keep the house cooler than 78. I made sure every home owner there knew it was a Scott’s One Hour Air system install.

Recently I noticed black soot above the surge protection device on the AC quick disconnect. After research I discovered it was a Scott’s One Hour installed non-UL certified SyCom unit that blew apart. I’m glad it wasn’t a wooden wall as it might have started a fire. I informed my wife that I needed to replace it and she asked why Scott’s wasn’t replacing it under the expensive plan I purchased. I had to tell her that we were scammed out of the original warranty. That got me to contact Scott’s One Hour. I asked them to provide in writing the reason for not coming out under my original service plan. After several days and a follow up email I was contacted via phone by Scott **. Neither he nor anyone else would answer my question. I then asked about the hero’s plan for veterans the first tech signed me up for. His answer was that they did not have to call me to arrange for service but rather I had to call them.

He also indicated my system needed a yearly service from them to maintain any warranty and it had not been serviced by them in over two years. Scott did offer to sign me up for a $25 a month service plan that included duct cleaning for my new green flex ducts. After thinking about the Scott’s One Hour Air young kid technicians practicing on my expensive new ducts I declined that offer and requested the hero’s plan yearly service for military veterans such as myself. I have not received any phone call or Email since I made that request and by now I realize I never will. I can only assume that their hero’s plan for military veterans is just an advertisement gimmick.

During the many hot months here in Florida we have to run a 20” floor fan from the cooler part of the house directed to the master bedroom to keep it comfortable. Very sad situation for a 3 ton AC unit in a small home to have to freeze out the rest of the house so the bedroom is comfortable. I’ll install a ceiling access in the bedroom one day during a cooler month so I can find and replace that large tie wrap or whatever else is restricting the airflow. Maybe run a larger duct also. I was looking forward to a long lasting relationship with Scott’s One Hour Air but I can only assume by now they only care about you during the sale of a new system. For the reasons above I could never recommend Scott’s One Hour Air to my friends, neighbors or anyone else.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I recently called One Hour Heating in Terryville, CT location to see my AC unit as it was not blowing cold air. The technician came and diagnosed that my capacitor and compressor wire is not working and charged me $700 to replace which he said I have to pay all upfront. After paying, tech came after 3 days to replace the parts; after turning on he said my compressor is bad and condenser unit also need replacement which will cost $2600 on top of $700 that I originally paid then tech also tricked me to pay an extra $250 transfer fee as he said he will have to go to New Haven, CT to get the part otherwise I may have to wait for 3-4 weeks to get the part.

He was too pushy, to spare me and pregnant wife from hot weather, I asked him to replace my condenser as soon as possible. Next day he came and started replacing my unit at 8:00 am in the morning without ringing any doorbell. After he finished and turned on the AC he said something is bad and said my evaporator coil is also bad and asked me to replace it with a different company coil for another $2800.

I said him that I am not comfortable and I need second opinion. Then he pushed me to pay money, I paid him the balance for condenser just to get rid of him. I called a different company and asked for the quote. They gave me $1800 quote for replacing the coil. I went with them and got my coil replaced and after turning on the unit they found out the replaced condenser unit fan motor was not working, which should be under warranty.

When I called One Hour Heating again and this is the saddest part, Office person on phone said she is told to not to take our call and they will not service us. I need to call another company and hangup my call. I asked my wife to call from her phone as well and they said same to her. They never honored any of their written warranties. Installed bad unit and refused as the warranties and services they boast about on their website. I wish I never have called them.

One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning response

We’ve been serving local families for 12 years, and customer satisfaction is our number one priority. We explained during the call that we wouldn’t know why the compressor went bad until the replacement. After our tech gave options, the customer was aggressive and demeaning. When the tech completed the installation, we found issues with pressures due to a restriction in the evaporator coil. When informed, the customer was disagreeable. It was clear that we are not a good fit for this customer.

Original review: July 21, 2020

At 11 AM today the tech from One Hour Air arrived to check my AC unit. I only wanted coils cleaned but tech said price would be $1000 as coils needed to be taken from attic & cleaned outside, which is not true as I've had them cleaned before right in the attic where they are. He went on to tell me that I needed new ductwork for $8000 & wanted me to finance which I can't as I am on a very limited income as I'm disabled. Not that they care, they are salesmen trying to make some bucks for themselves & the company & had no interest in doing any service work, they just wanted to try to overcharge me & sell me expensive things. All I got for this disappointing experience is that I had to pay a $79 service call for nothing & believe me that money could have went to much better use. I feel they should refund my $79. They left me in tears with a hot house. I'm disgusted, they are so greedy & only in it for themselves, not to help customers.

One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning author review by Shawn Bayless

Based in Pennsylvania, One Hour Heating and Air Conditioning offers heating and air conditioning installation and repair services throughout Lancaster, York, Daupin, Cumberland, Berks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery Counties. For repairs, installation and maintenance, One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning offers quick response times, with 24/7 service available. The company provides both an on-time guarantee and a satisfaction guarantee for its services.

• On-time guarantee: One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning prides itself on timeliness. You will be given a one-hour window in which the service person will arrive and if they are one minute or more late, the company offers free service to make up for the lateness.

• U-WIN endorsed: U-Win is an independent, contractor endorsing agency. One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning is endorsed by U-Win, which means they have passed drug tests and background checks and your satisfaction is guaranteed.

• Technicians held to high standards: Technicians are expected to behave professionally; if a consumer complains about technician behavior, the company pays for the service itself.

• Technicians held to high standards: Technicians are expected to behave professionally and leave the home in the same condition it was when they arrived. If a consumer complains about technician behavior, the service is free.

• Offers in-depth product reviews: Product reviews can help users determine which heating and cooling products and services to order. One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning offers reviews on its website, making it simple for you to choose what you need.

by Shawn Bayless Heating and Cooling Systems Advisor

Shawn Bayless is an experienced HVAC mechanical design engineer and project manager with a unique perspective and knowledge of heating and cooling systems. He has worked for some of the top contractors in Oklahoma and is highly skilled in design layouts, project estimation and planning and construction.

One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning Company Information