Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.31/5

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning?

Original review: May 6, 2021

Absolutely nothing was wrong with unit. We were just doing the regular required maintenance....UNIT WORKING FINE. Then this guy comes and does something and the fan won't start...mind you this unit is fairly new. So he says he has to replace the capacitor...$15 piece. Charges $129 + $75 "Maintenance Fee "... A total of $204 spent out when we were having a perfectly good morning with no issues... Shame on them for taking advantage like this. Then the lady on the phone ask..."Do you want him to take it off..." Well hell no because we don't have a clue of how to put it on and we need it for the air to work....INFORMATION THEY ARE QUITE AWARE OF. You reap what you sow????

Resolution response: March 15, 2021

After my comment below, I was contacted by Cody (regional manager), who did a very detailed follow-up on my case. I was able to get a reimbursement of 20% of the initial repair I did last year. He also did contact the technician that did my maintenance service and it was determined that the way the compressor was checked was not the appropriate one. Because of that professional follow-up and a sincere apology on how things were managed, I have increased the rating from 1 to 4 stars.

Original review: March 5, 2021

This is how this company works. They will provide an outstanding first service to you in order to create a good impression. Once you subscribe to their maintenance program, they will do everything possible to have a visit at your place as soon as possible. In my case, Austin came to point out the worn out parts in my system (no actual maintenance nor cleaning was provided). Then the worst happened, “coincidentally” my outdoor unit was declared as failed and compressor stopped working during his maintenance test (it was working perfectly that morning and no issues even during the deep freeze we had), followed by all the options to install a complete new system from 9K to 17K.

This sounded very suspicious and I called my cousin, who is engineer. He was able to fix my compressor in 2 minutes, HE NOTICED THAT WIRING WAS COMPROMISED TO CAUSE IT TO GROUND AND BURN. I can’t describe the frustration and anger I feel towards the unethical and unprofessional behavior of One Hour Air Conditioning and Heating. They should be ashamed to embroider the American flag on their uniform. Sharing this so that no other customer falls on this type of despicable techniques.

Get buying tips about Heating and Cooling Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2020

I was first introduced to Scott’s One Hour Air when my AC stopped working in the middle of the summer. My wife was home that day and after calling around Scott’s was the only place that would respond that day. $1450 later the tech replaced the condenser fan motor and capacitor. That price seemed very steep to me but my wife had her AC again in and in just a half a day’s time. Six months later during a routine service visit the tech discovered mold behind the air handler. I knew this old house needed new ducts as well so I spent $19K on a complete 3 ton system for my 1275 square foot home. New green flex ducts, compressor and air handler and Scott’s top tier warranty. The sales person readily agreed to everything I asked for and the contract was signed. This included 18 SEER Goodman system, lifetime electronics warranty and 20 year compressor warranty.

The install went well until the installers wanted to change the air handler location from the attic back to a tiny closet where the old 2.5 ton air handler was. This was measured several times before the contract was signed and it was determined to be too small for the 3 ton unit. The installers said they could now somehow squeeze it in but I said no. Everything went downhill from there. I had to put up with their nasty attitudes until they were finished. The final inspection was dismal as the master bedroom was 4 degrees warmer than the rest of the house. The other two bedrooms sounded like an arctic blast coming out of the ducts. Several visits later the duct design was changed to a 10” direct feed but that only helped by 2 degrees. The last tech said there was some restriction in the master bedroom duct work and that he couldn’t get to the roof area over the bedroom as he was too big.

The installation manager Eric finally told me that if I don’t stop complaining his installers might come to my home and physically assault me. Wow, really bad way of dealing with failure. I tried to go up the ladder but that was proving difficult and I kept getting Eric instead. The owner seemed to be well insulated from his customers. I believe an indication of a badly run company. This top tier service plan I purchased included six month interval visits. Very young techs were sent out and they seemed more interested in selling me upgrades than actually doing any preventative maintenance work. Most had sour looks when they discovered I had originally bought every upgrade possible. None of the techs ever cleaned the condenser and evaporator. When I asked why not I was always told they were not dirty. One tech even came out and asked if everything was working ok then turned around and left.

Several months after the install but still under the original “bumper to bumper” warranty period the system stopped cooling. It had developed a R410 leak somewhere. Out of the next three visits none of the techs looked at the evaporator. They just looked over the condenser, scratched their heads and made excuses to not go into the attic where the air handler was. Every visit the R410 was charged up along with some dye and off they went. After some time I was contacted by someone from Scott’s One Hour saying I needed to sign a different lesser warranty contract as they no longer offered the original contract I signed. I said no. I want to keep my original contract. Their response to this was to just stop coming out for maintenance without informing me. I was working 60+ hours a week and let time slip by with no visit from Scott’s. I never had to call for routine maintenance before so why now?

Later on even this 3 ton unit could not keep my small house cool again. I called the 888 number and they sent a young tech out. He injected even more dye without inspecting the evaporator. This visit was when I realized they voided my warranty by not coming out. The tech asked why I stopped the original top tier maintenance and I replied that I didn’t. Scott’s just stopped coming out or contacting me. I can only assume that maybe they wanted to shed the better warranty I signed up and paid for. Taught me a lesson! I guess the leak of refrigerant during the original warranty has legal EPA ramifications if not addressed so they did respond to this service for a service fee.

Next visit was another young tech who at first tried to convince me my 7 day old air filter was dirty. Once I got him back on track he found the leak in the evaporator and left. The third visit was another young tech who seemed a bit more mature than the first two. He replaced the evaporator which took him about eight hours. I tried to provide some cool air via a portable AC unit but the attic still was in the 90’s but at least not the usual 120 degrees. He also swapped out the orifice valve with an un-insulated external TXV valve. Of course this leaks condensation so I had to fabricate a separate drip pan piggy backed on the main drip pan below the air handler case to keep my ceiling dry. I guess the condensation just evaporates away and causes no harm to my attic?

He also forgot to bring nitrogen for the welding and did not follow the manufacture’s recommended procedure of evacuating the entire system, run a vacuum and charge by weight. After the evaporator replacement the system has been working well other than a very slight surge sound from the compressor. After this repair and on just one day with a house full of people going in and out the house and it being a 100 degree day the system couldn’t keep the house cooler than 78. I made sure every home owner there knew it was a Scott’s One Hour Air system install.

Recently I noticed black soot above the surge protection device on the AC quick disconnect. After research I discovered it was a Scott’s One Hour installed non-UL certified SyCom unit that blew apart. I’m glad it wasn’t a wooden wall as it might have started a fire. I informed my wife that I needed to replace it and she asked why Scott’s wasn’t replacing it under the expensive plan I purchased. I had to tell her that we were scammed out of the original warranty. That got me to contact Scott’s One Hour. I asked them to provide in writing the reason for not coming out under my original service plan. After several days and a follow up email I was contacted via phone by Scott **. Neither he nor anyone else would answer my question. I then asked about the hero’s plan for veterans the first tech signed me up for. His answer was that they did not have to call me to arrange for service but rather I had to call them.

He also indicated my system needed a yearly service from them to maintain any warranty and it had not been serviced by them in over two years. Scott did offer to sign me up for a $25 a month service plan that included duct cleaning for my new green flex ducts. After thinking about the Scott’s One Hour Air young kid technicians practicing on my expensive new ducts I declined that offer and requested the hero’s plan yearly service for military veterans such as myself. I have not received any phone call or Email since I made that request and by now I realize I never will. I can only assume that their hero’s plan for military veterans is just an advertisement gimmick.

During the many hot months here in Florida we have to run a 20” floor fan from the cooler part of the house directed to the master bedroom to keep it comfortable. Very sad situation for a 3 ton AC unit in a small home to have to freeze out the rest of the house so the bedroom is comfortable. I’ll install a ceiling access in the bedroom one day during a cooler month so I can find and replace that large tie wrap or whatever else is restricting the airflow. Maybe run a larger duct also. I was looking forward to a long lasting relationship with Scott’s One Hour Air but I can only assume by now they only care about you during the sale of a new system. For the reasons above I could never recommend Scott’s One Hour Air to my friends, neighbors or anyone else.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2020

I recently called One Hour Heating in Terryville, CT location to see my AC unit as it was not blowing cold air. The technician came and diagnosed that my capacitor and compressor wire is not working and charged me $700 to replace which he said I have to pay all upfront. After paying, tech came after 3 days to replace the parts; after turning on he said my compressor is bad and condenser unit also need replacement which will cost $2600 on top of $700 that I originally paid then tech also tricked me to pay an extra $250 transfer fee as he said he will have to go to New Haven, CT to get the part otherwise I may have to wait for 3-4 weeks to get the part.

He was too pushy, to spare me and pregnant wife from hot weather, I asked him to replace my condenser as soon as possible. Next day he came and started replacing my unit at 8:00 am in the morning without ringing any doorbell. After he finished and turned on the AC he said something is bad and said my evaporator coil is also bad and asked me to replace it with a different company coil for another $2800.

I said him that I am not comfortable and I need second opinion. Then he pushed me to pay money, I paid him the balance for condenser just to get rid of him. I called a different company and asked for the quote. They gave me $1800 quote for replacing the coil. I went with them and got my coil replaced and after turning on the unit they found out the replaced condenser unit fan motor was not working, which should be under warranty.

When I called One Hour Heating again and this is the saddest part, Office person on phone said she is told to not to take our call and they will not service us. I need to call another company and hangup my call. I asked my wife to call from her phone as well and they said same to her. They never honored any of their written warranties. Installed bad unit and refused as the warranties and services they boast about on their website. I wish I never have called them.

One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning response

We’ve been serving local families for 12 years, and customer satisfaction is our number one priority. We explained during the call that we wouldn’t know why the compressor went bad until the replacement. After our tech gave options, the customer was aggressive and demeaning. When the tech completed the installation, we found issues with pressures due to a restriction in the evaporator coil. When informed, the customer was disagreeable. It was clear that we are not a good fit for this customer.

Original review: July 21, 2020

At 11 AM today the tech from One Hour Air arrived to check my AC unit. I only wanted coils cleaned but tech said price would be $1000 as coils needed to be taken from attic & cleaned outside, which is not true as I've had them cleaned before right in the attic where they are. He went on to tell me that I needed new ductwork for $8000 & wanted me to finance which I can't as I am on a very limited income as I'm disabled. Not that they care, they are salesmen trying to make some bucks for themselves & the company & had no interest in doing any service work, they just wanted to try to overcharge me & sell me expensive things. All I got for this disappointing experience is that I had to pay a $79 service call for nothing & believe me that money could have went to much better use. I feel they should refund my $79. They left me in tears with a hot house. I'm disgusted, they are so greedy & only in it for themselves, not to help customers.

Original review: June 18, 2020

One Hour has been there taking care of us even in the Fridged January we had a few years back. After totally replaced heat and air in March, the following January was the big freeze and they were there the entire time it took to find the glitch and get our house back to 69 degrees (above).

Resolution response: June 5, 2020

They sent out two very skilled employees that fixed the issues and they made sure we were taken care of and to prove they aren’t bad people. They absolutely made it right by us. So as long as this is the relationship they’ll have and making sure their customers are cared for.

Original review: June 5, 2020

Literally have had this unit for a couple of months now. Was working fine... Well 2 days ago it stopped. We had to call. Tech showed up on time even “fixed” the issue. Claimed a wire came lose and made contact with another wire and tripped the system. Now here we are today not even two days later it’s 85 degrees in my house and once again the unit is not working. It’s a brand new unit we had to take out an $8500 loan for to have that and the air handler replaced and already having issues w/ new equipment!?!? Had chicks in an incubator and others pipped and we’ve lost 9 so far and counting because the incubators can’t regulate correctly w/ the 76% humidity in our house now and 85 degree temps. This is my livelihood. That’s my profit down the drain for this month. That’s over $100 lost in dead chicks.

And they tell me they can’t make it out until tomorrow 2pm-5pm. I called them around 1pm today! I still have 15 other chicks in eggs that have pipped. Likely those will die too! So 24 chicks total over $250 in lost profit plus my old ** dog is panting her ** off and I have 35 duck eggs and 4 turkey eggs set to hatch out in 5 days. Likely they’re already compromised now. That is a $500 loss on top of so far my $100 loss. Add on the other 15 and total amount of chicks lost profit $750 for the month. Two days after being fixed equipments brand new and only a couple months since we got it replaced and this is happening. Either the equipment is crap or the work down is temp fixes. Could be more than that too. We all know how companies can be....

Before I submit let me check temp again. Lovely 86 degrees now and 76% humidity. Are you kidding me. Better hope and pray my dog doesn’t end up dead w/ a heat stroke. Fans aren’t helping either! Do you even care about people or just the payday? See we have the insurance covered everything so far but I’m willing to bet it’ll be something random and outside of that insurance at some point given they’re going to get tired of not getting paid. Good thing I’ve got lawyers that deal w/ both civil and criminal sides of the law. Let’s see how they handle it from here! I’m about to get one or both involved.

Original review: April 11, 2020

This company does not stand behind what it advertises. If you are not satisfied you don’t pay, well I am not satisfied at all. This company sent a tech (so that is what they called him) to a look at my problem. No circulating fan for heat. He came and looked at my unit and first could not find anything. I also want you to know I am an Electrician and I checked ALL the fuses and circuit breakers. All was good. Now the tech came in and removed my thermostat. Thought he would straighten out the wires, well in doing so he blew my 24v fuse on the board which I had checked before I called them. The tech went out. Replaced the fuse and went to his truck.

While he was in his truck I thought I would make sure the a.c. worked and it did not. None of it would come on. I asked the tech why it was off and he said cause he put the old fuse back in until we dealt with the bill. 266.00 for a 3amp fuse and FOUR hours and half of that time was on the phone. I could go on for a lot longer, but I won’t. Just the unit broke two nights later. They sent the same tech with a trainee and FOUR more hours and they could not find anything wrong. A lot of it might be this or it might be that. Please DO NOT EVER USE ONE HOUR COMFORT.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

We were buying a house and during inspection we noticed the heat was not working. It was put into agreement that heat needed to be fixed by sellers. They fought us on this but eventually agreed. They hired One Hour. They came out, inspected furnace, replaced the inducer motor and said everything was fine. We did final inspection same night and heat was blowing. So we purchased house with knowledge that they had a paid invoice from one hour and we felt heat coming through vents. Next day after we sign and get keys and go to the house heat is not working. Had fallen to 52 on thermostat. Called one hour. They sent same gentleman who replaced inducer motor that night. He said motor was bad as it was only putting out at 88 and should be 110 or more. So he ordered another motor.

Next night a different guy came out to put in new motor. After inspection of the unit this guy tells me that the way it is working it is indicative of the heat exchanger being cracked. He then went to his van and called his office/supervisor. After that conversation he came back to me and said no there is no crack and the new inducer motor he installed is putting out at 88 but that is normal. Asked, "Then why did other tech say it was not and first motor was bad?" He said again it is normal to be at 88. Wrote on his invoice to me after I had to ask him to document what he had done. He was not going to he was going to leave but I asked for him to write down everything he just inspected and work he did. He wrote that he replaced inducer and that there was nothing else wrong with the unit and that the furnace was old and does not know how much longer it will last - to cover his **. The unit is 9 years old. It is not old.

The sellers found a company with no integrity to come out and rubber stamp that everything was ok with the furnace. Have since had 3 different companies come out and each one has said the heat exchanger is cracked. All 3 have said it is not safe to run the unit the way it is now and it would be wise to replace furnace because it is showing other signs of wear and tear and just replacing the heat exchanger would just mask it for a while. Purchased warranty for property and they have denied claim because all 3 companies have said this was a pre existing issue and should have been found by one hour and taken care of by the seller but they just rubber stamped the issue for the seller and took their money the seller offered.

This company has no scruples. No integrity. Not a company I will ever do business with and I hope nobody else will call this company either. They obviously do not know their jobs and are just in it to take your money and create more issues so you have to continue to call them to fix more issues they could have prevented but because of their lack of knowledge and integrity they created these issues for you the customer.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

What a rip off this One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning/One Hour Magic is. Beware of this company! They nickel and dime you to death. I did NOT initially solicit them. I had a new HVAC system installed in my condo by 'A Air Conditioning' March, 2019. Evidently, they were bought out by 'One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning' also see them listed as 'One Hour Magic'. Okay, so I signed a service contract with them, and also signed a contract with the townhouse I have next door that I rent out annually. Both the condo and townhouse were built in 2006.

With the condo, every time there was a little debris in my air conditioning while I had guests renting during the season, the system would totally shut off until they came out and flushed the system. Needless to say it cost me a fortune. Now let's talk about the townhouse. The first time they came out they told me that I needed a new system. They installed a new HVAC system there that cost me $7500.00. The installation itself had issues. They had to come back out to remove the gook that looked like cement from the air filter area so we would be able to get to the air filter to change. I wasn't happy about that. This was in June, 2019.

Now they came back out in December, 2019 just for the 1 year maintenance that is under warranty. They now tell me that there are spores in the ductwork and it will cost $810.00 if I want to resolve the issue. Well, I really had not choice but to say yes on the spot, and wasn't able to have a second opinion since it was made known to the customer right then and there. I asked him why he was checking the ductwork when he was there to just change the filter and any potential maintenance on the new system. He told me it was part of the maintenance. I then asked him if it is part of the maintenance, why wasn't it made known to me the first time they were out doing maintenance when they had made it known to me that I needed a new system. Didn't have a good reason for that, but said it would have a lifetime warranty.

What is happening is every time they come out they want to find another issue so they can nickel and dime me. Well, they will only get me twice, because I told them not to go out and do any maintenance on either system. While it is under warranty and contract, if there is an issue, I will call them. In the meantime, I have found another HVAC contractor that was recommended to me and have called them to initiate a service contract starting next March, 2020, and will NEVER HIRE One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning again. They took advantage of me, but WILL NEVER AGAIN!

One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning author review by Shawn Bayless

Based in Pennsylvania, One Hour Heating and Air Conditioning offers heating and air conditioning installation and repair services throughout Lancaster, York, Daupin, Cumberland, Berks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery Counties. For repairs, installation and maintenance, One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning offers quick response times, with 24/7 service available. The company provides both an on-time guarantee and a satisfaction guarantee for its services.

• On-time guarantee: One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning prides itself on timeliness. You will be given a one-hour window in which the service person will arrive and if they are one minute or more late, the company offers free service to make up for the lateness.

• U-WIN endorsed: U-Win is an independent, contractor endorsing agency. One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning is endorsed by U-Win, which means they have passed drug tests and background checks and your satisfaction is guaranteed.

• Technicians held to high standards: Technicians are expected to behave professionally; if a consumer complains about technician behavior, the company pays for the service itself.

• Technicians held to high standards: Technicians are expected to behave professionally and leave the home in the same condition it was when they arrived. If a consumer complains about technician behavior, the service is free.

• Offers in-depth product reviews: Product reviews can help users determine which heating and cooling products and services to order. One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning offers reviews on its website, making it simple for you to choose what you need.

by Shawn Bayless Heating and Cooling Systems Expert

Shawn Bayless is an experienced HVAC mechanical design engineer and project manager with a unique perspective and knowledge of heating and cooling systems. He has worked for some of the top contractors in Oklahoma and is highly skilled in design layouts, project estimation and planning and construction.

One Hour Heating & Air Conditioning Company Information