Find a Heating and Cooling Systems partner

Help me decide

Paris, KY

1.6/5 (19 ratings)
Find a Heating and Cooling Systems partner

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

About Monessen Hearth Systems

Need help with a repair or new project?

Get matched with a contractor or specialist on HomeAdvisor

Find Pros Now

Monessen Hearth Systems Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Monessen Hearth Systems?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Monessen Hearth Systems?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2020

This fireplace has had nothing but problems. Every season it needs hundreds of dollars in repairs. It is at the point that there are no service companies that will even work on them and they tell me that they try to call the manufacturer for troubleshooting and even the manufacturer is no help. Complete and total junk with a big price tag. Buyer beware. Choose any brand other than this one.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

Good performance when operating which is a problem. Every season I have to do another repair. Avoid this brand. Unable to do simple repairs like a thermocouple. Must buy a part ten times more expensive. Difficult to work on as well. Small area and cheap parts that are easily damaged. Remote works okay, but only turns on logs when three degrees below setting and off when three above. Eats batteries as well.

Get buying tips about Heating and Cooling Systems delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2019

I Purchased a 42" from Watson's. Mostly for ambiance and a alternative heat source. The 1st unit remote was NO GOOD, loud fumes wrong bulbs! The mngr wanted to send techs 3x to replace parts for a new unit. I finally demanded a new unit. 3 months later and a replaced unit, THE BURNER WON'T IGNITE Consistently when TURNED ON. This is BY FAR the BIGGEST RIP OFF I'VE EVER EXPERIENCED! After several nights and attempts, the fireplace finally lit. The following night? Again...NO BURNERS. I'm so disgusted in Watson's pushing this product. I WANT MY REFUND!!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Do not purchase a Monessen fireplace log and burner set, they do not honor their warranty for repairs... New burner not working from day 1, diagnosed as cracked Circuit board by authorized dealer. Monessen will not repair or replace, burner has never been lit, still trying to get parts after a month of emails.

Original review: June 24, 2018

Do not I repeat do not buy this f/p. Monessen Serenade with river rocks and crystals. New construction home. Wanted a f/p. Never had one. Absolutely gorgeous unit. It worked fine but the remote control never worked. Had it replaced several times and it still never worked. The f/p completely rusted on the inside and is now torn apart due to the repair people never coming back to fix this issue. Two sides to every story. I think not. 5,000.00 dollars later and 5 years later I’m ready to put an aquarium in where it was. Very very frustrated with this company. My husband is in denial about it. I came home one evening and he placed three pillar candles in there as a laugh to say, "Sure it works. Just look honey!!!" Thankfully the wine took away some of my nerves. Good luck everyone.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I purchased a Monessen log set via Amazon from an out of state distributor. During the installation I determined it was in nonworking order and due to distributor's prohibitive restocking return charge policy my only option was to accept their offer to send me replacement parts to fix it myself. The parts replacement was time consuming and difficult to do. Subsequently, I contacted both the distributor and Monessen and requested some sort of token goodwill compensation for my aggravation. The distributor has ignored my inquiries and Monessen has simply referred me back to the distributor and not taken any responsibility for their poor quality control. Consequently, I do not recommend purchasing Monessen products.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I’ve installed these for a long time and have had problems with them setting up the house. The company that sells them don’t want to give you a replacement unit if you just installed it and have a problem, they want you to fix it at your expense. I’m going to quit putting the ventless logs in and would recommend only the vented ones!

Original review: Feb. 20, 2017

This is a company to avoid. They are the trifecta of bad! Please read the entire review and you will understand why: They are only interested in selling you your next Fireplace log set. Why is this bad? Well, if you have one of their gas log sets that has gone bad, they make it impossible for you to get simple replacement parts. Instead of $100 in parts, they want to stick you for another $1,200 fireplace log set.

Their Duzy 24" millivolt log set control valve basically burned up as it was defective. Their own licensed installer said unit was a defective unit. It failed after very little use after the warranty period. They would not provide me replacement parts for the licensed repairman to install nor even sell me any parts. I paid $200 for service and the licensed installer can't get parts. I am sure others also had this failure and bet a class action lawsuit would be appropriate. How many millivolt valve units are failing so that they can't provide service parts, but still are selling new units of the entire gas log set?

They won't call you or return an email without filing a Better Business Bureau BBB complaint. After you file complaint, they will call you, but don't help. Their repair tech guy, Tom from Vermont Castings called after the BBB report was filed weeks earlier and he understood the parts lists that the installer/repairman that serviced the fireplace log set provided - he said he would call the installer and help get this taken care of - Well, Tom never did anything and did not call the service guy as promised. Tammy from the main office also does nothing, but give you a run around. These people should have problems sleeping at night.

I think they might be covering up a big problem with Duzy log sets as mine literally burned up with only little use a few times a year. I offered them my valve so they can inspect, but they didn't seem interested. Worst $1200 I ever spent. I am trying to figure out how to get my log set valve inspected to determine if it manufacturing defect that probably should be recalled for safety.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2016

Purchased a blower for my gas fireplace in winter of 2014/15. You can guess how much a fireplace blower is used, very seldom. This winter it blew a ball bearing, and is essentially unusable. $240 for something that was used for about 2 months. I dare say an obvious manufacturing weakness or flaw. They absolutely refuse to discuss because it was "out of warranty", maximum 1 year. That's it, no matter that it fell apart in such a short time. Tried for weeks to get a positive response from them. Mostly do not respond / avoid. Poor service, poor products... seriously, how can you make such a crappy product that lasts 2 months, then breaks, and you won't stand by it? Never buy from Monessen Hearth, ** quality products and service.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2015

We purchased this model of Fireplace in Sept. 2011, that is direct vented. Initially the unit worked on Propane but then converted to Natural Gas when it became available. A Fan Blower was also added to the unit to distribute the heat. The unit worked well until May 2015, we had just returned from the US after spending winter there. As the temperatures were still low we kept the unit running and all was good but towards the end of May, when the temperatures were beginning to rise, the flame was not high and the Fan Blower would not kick-in. We decided to have the unit service as the Cold Weather will soon be upon us.

The service man from Lloyd's Heating & Cooling, Prince Edward County, Ontario, Canada, sellers and installers of the unit, arrived on Sept. 24th 2015 to do the service and when he got into the unit discovered a crack in the cast iron (Fire Box area). This was clearly dangerous to use and we were very fortunate to be alive as we could have had Carbon Monoxide poisoning or had our house go up in flames. With temperatures rapidly dropping we are not optimistic on a quick or no resolve from Monessen or Lloyd's Heating and Cooling. We may have to cut our losses and buy another Gas Stove from a reputable company.

Monessen Hearth Systems author review by Shawn Bayless

Monessen is a brand of vent-free gas hearth products made by the Vermont Castings Group, a hearth and grill company that has been in business since 1975 and also includes Vermont Castings, Majestic and Ambient Technologies. Monessen specializes in gas fireplaces and stoves, hand-painted gas logs and outdoor patio fireplaces.

• Vent-free options: You don’t need to have a chimney in your home to have a fireplace. Monessen offers vent-free fireplaces, inserts, stoves and log sets to provide heat and beauty in spaces like a basement or interior wall that otherwise could not have a fireplace.

• Product selection: Monessen offers many products to fit your lifestyle and home. They offer fireplaces to install in new homes as well as inserts that fit in pre-existing fireplace spaces and various sizes and configurations of stoves and gas log sets.

• Customer service: Monessen’s user-friendly website provides user guides and manuals, a product registration portal, fireplace and stove glass safety information, a frequently asked questions section and more. You can also contact Monessen customer service with questions.

• Safety testing: Monessen has high safety standards for their products. They perform burn and leak tests on all of their products to help ensure safety for use in your home.

• Available across the United States: Monessen brand products are sold at select distributors nationwide. You can use the map on Monessen’s website to enter your zip code and find a dealer near you.

by Shawn Bayless Heating and Cooling Systems Expert

Shawn Bayless is an experienced HVAC mechanical design engineer and project manager with a unique perspective and knowledge of heating and cooling systems. He has worked for some of the top contractors in Oklahoma and is highly skilled in design layouts, project estimation and planning and construction.

Monessen Hearth Systems Company Information