Find a Refrigerators partner

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

About LG Refrigerators

LG is an electronics company that offers a variety of innovative and state-of-the-art products for the entire home. The company's refrigerators feature advanced technology and innovative features like wireless internet and app accessibility, LG makes fridges for every budget.

Pros

• Beautiful designs
  • Wi-Fi and app accessibility
  • Innovative features
  • Multiple options

Cons

• Expensive
  • Multiple recalls

Bottom Line

LG is an award-winning technology company that produces innovative and modern refrigerators. While its products can be pricey, the advanced technology and sleek design set LG’s products apart.

Protect What Matters Most

Get Home Warranty Plans & Pricing

Compare Quotes

LG Refrigerators Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LG Refrigerators?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about LG Refrigerators?

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

I have not had any of the mechanical problems others on this site have described. I actually love this french door, bottom freezer unit. BUT several months after we got it the surface starting peeling on various corners. Near the handles, on the sides. We have kept it to a minimum by being very, very careful, but it is unsightly. Not sure what we can do about it.

LG Refrigerators response

Joe if you are interested in assistance, please send us your contact info so that we can explore all options for you.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

So disappointed in this product and customer service! My husband and I built a house in 2017. Bought all of our appliances range, microwave, dishwasher and refrigerator all in a bundle from Lowe’s in Bedford, IN. So elated about having a new house with all new appliances! My elation quickly turned in to total frustration! Only after 14 months of use the compressor went out. Let me repeat that AFTER 14 MONTHS! After several phone calls to the store, the customer info center the Lowe’s Extended Protection number. No one I spoke with could give us the same answers to any of our questions. It took weeks to get a service rep to even look at it and when he finally arrives and determined the compressor was bad he had no replacement with him. Had to be ordered which took awhile to arrive, a few more weeks before they could come back to install the new one.

Only after cancelling and having to reschedule that appointment in which I had to miss work to be available to let him in to service the refrigerator. A loaner was offered at one point in time but I was told that could take a week to deliver not knowing that the replacement part would not be available on the first visit I declined. Was also told by one representative that we could just replace the refrigerator then only to be told by another that was not the case. I wrote down all the names of every one I spoke with and even had each one send me our dictated conversation in e-mail. They would not stand by their word. Never could I get a manager on the phone. Was always told that Customer Service does not have one. Most call centers operate off of a 3 tier system so I found it hard to believe that one. It took a total of 12 weeks to have the issue fixed Missed days at work, food loss, all the phone calls and time spent talking on the phone and getting no real answers.

Was told at one point we could use a local repair man and the Extended Protection Plan that we purchased would cover the cost only to be told by someone else that it would NOT and if we chose that route it would void the EPP all together. Could had it fixed in 2 days as opposed to 12 weeks. The whole reason I am writing this review today is because after going through all of this our freezer isn’t defrosting correctly and therefore the ice maker isn’t working, the food in the freezer is barely frozen. The temp is set on minus 4 but the thermometer has placed on the inside barely reads 32 degrees. Here we go again!!!! So disheartening to spend so much money that you work so hard for on a product and to be so disappointed by it and the customer service that you have to deal with. LG 26.1 cu ft Side by Side Refrigerator with ice maker and Door within Door Black Stainless Steel Item # 708951 Model # LSXS 26386D.

LG Refrigerators response

Original review: Jan. 16, 2020

We purchased a new LG refrigerator in April of 2017. This replaced one we had for over 20 years and was looking forward to getting a new updated fancy one. After about a year our refrigerator quit working and a repair person was sent out to fix. They repaired and after a month it quit working again. They returned and replaced the compressor. Were told having problems with new compressors but yet they replace with same bad compressors. My friend has had the same issues and they came and replaced her compressor and all the internal parts, will see how long that last.

Fast forward January 16, 2020. Woke up this morning and water leaking and our refrigerator is not working. Once again all our food in freezer and fridge are no good. So disappointed in this product, it has never kept our food cold like it should. You try calling customer service and they answer "Life's Good" (not) and you get robot CLARK, who says you can talk to him like a person. Last thing you want to hear when you are so angry. They never let you talk to a real person but instead they send you a text for you to complete and to have someone call you back in a day. Will see how long it takes for them to call. So frustrating! I have a nine year old type 1 diabetic who needs her medication refrigerated. So now have to once again live out of an ice chest. I have told my family never to buy LG. Life has not been good with LG.

Hello Teresa,

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

My 2.5 years old LG fridge stopped working 2 days ago. No warning. The front panel said the fridge was working at optimal temperatures, but everything defrosted. Vacuumed dust from vents around compressor, during the initial troubleshoot with no result...just came from a month of grocery shopping, as we usually do, a day earlier, before this headache. This is terrible for an appliance just a few years old. Very disappointed. I have a KitchenAid refrigerator that was replaced by this new product because of its space. It is still working after 13 years.

Hello,

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Bought this refrigerator about 2 years ago. The ice machine keeps freezing up. It will work for about 2 days then freeze up again. We keep taking my blow dryer and unfreezing the unit. I wish had I read all the reviews with this refrigerator. I would have never bought.

LG Refrigerators response

Just checking in again. Colleen are you interested in getting a resolution for this problem? If so please message us back.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2020

Updated on 01/20/2020: I had hoped to update my review to at least Satisfactory, but NO. An LG repair man was here this morning, the refrigerator is seemingly fixed - but we will see. The problem is that when my husband talked to LG last week they said the cost of parts would be NO Charge. Then the guy gets here today and says only the compressor is covered - but in order to replace the compressor he has to literally break another part which WE have to PAY FOR! How is that even a thing? I am floored by this shoddy engineering. So, it costed us $360 to repair a part covered under warranty. To top it off the man was so rude to me, kept leaving the front door wide open, including the screen door which HE locked open, and we have a dog. I kept closing the door behind him - take a hint.

Then, he moves the refrigerator back (almost to where it belonged) and created 2 long black marks across 3 of our floor tiles. He intended to leave without even addressing that. I grabbed a rag and tried to clean it up and it would not come clean. He said "Give me that!" (just like that) and tried to wipe it up himself, to no avail. He then grabbed something out of his little bag and started scraping the floor. The marks started to fade a little. He then stands up, says "Here" and hands me a small piece of sand paper. Now I have to clean this up?? I could hardly believe my eyes, but by this point I just wanted him to leave my house. I have never experience such poor customer service. This is day 9 without a fridge, taking up space in neighbors freezer, buying ice to keep everyday items cold! My initial thought still stands, no more LG for me.

Original review: While other manufacturers allow major appliance warranties to be transferred, as when you buy a house, LG does NOT. So, the new owner a $3,000 refrigerator that fails is completely out of luck. Sad, I will NEVER buy another LG product, and if I ever buy another house, the brand of appliances will be a factor in decision. Shame on LG!

Hello Johnnie,

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

Door in door latch mechanism fails to function 95% of the time, defeating the purpose because handle opens both doors at once. Design flaw causes frustration every time we open the fridge. Would not recommend. Have had handle repaired once, shortly after installation, and technician assured it was "normal" for it to be a bit sticky and it would improve with use. After a year, I can say the only thing that has improved is my desire to replace this refrigerator.

Hello Alisa,

My apologies, we are unable to assist with service on products outside the United States. I have escalated your case to our customer support team in Canada.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2020

I am not writing a review of the product but about the customer service. I can't speak about the quality of the products yet because I haven't received them yet. I ordered an appliance package on November 30th with a delivery date of January 2nd. It is now January 10th and my delivery date has been changed 5 times and has currently been pushed to February 28th. I've contacted customer service several times and have been treated very poorly. They have been nothing but rude. I have a problem with the fact that I have already paid for my items, they have my money but I still don't have my appliances. LG has never even offered an apology for the inconvenience. They just keep pushing the delivery date out because they don't have stock. Please think twice before wasting your time and money when purchasing from LG!

Hello Tammy,

Original review: Jan. 10, 2020

Two days before thanksgiving 2019 our three year old LG fridge stopped cooling. Two weeks later when the tech shows up he informed us the compressor had failed. Two days before Christmas it stopped cooling again. Supposed to be fixed January 16. We are currently using an Igloo cooler. Can’t keep leftovers and have to toss out lots of food and condiments, plus we have been buying bags of ice nearly every day. Having four grandkids plus ourselves an Igloo just don’t get it done, 3000.00 dollars poorly spent. It won’t happen again.

Hello Jodie,

Are you still interested in receiving assistance from us? If so, in a private message, please provide the requested information so that I can explore all options for you.

Thanks,

LG

Original review: Jan. 9, 2020

I was so glad to add a new stylish refrigerator to my kitchen. Counter depth, window that lets you see inside the fridge, an extra door to open for just drinks. AWESOME! I told my friends, they were glad I updated my kitchen. Well none of them want to hear about how much LG is a terrible product. I had a refrigerator delivered and it did not work properly, had a second delivered, and it was malfunctioning, took two days off work to it serviced and it still does not work. The customer service is horrible. They know how say, "That is not our protocol." Instead of LG, buy a cooler and ice. Your food will stay fresher.

Hello Mark,

We truly hate to hear that you experienced multiple issues with your new refrigerator and want to assist. In a private message can you share with me name of the retailer you purchased it from and the model and serial number and a description of what happened? Thank you.

LG

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

My 3.5 year old LG fridge stopped working 2 days ago...no warning. The front panel said the fridge was -4 and the freezer -17 but everything defrosted. This is terrible for an appliance just a few years old. I believe there are potential class action lawsuits about these fridges. Very disappointed. My Maytag fridge is still working after 20 years.

LG Refrigerators response

Hello Deirdre, Thank you for notifying LG of the experience you have encountered thus far. This is not indicative of how we want our valued customers to feel. We’ll be happy to look into this and answer any questions that you have. Please send a private message so that we can assist you.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

We bought the LG refrigerator model LMXS27626S/00 in June 2015. We have had nothing but issues since then. The compressor has been replaced twice, lost hundreds of dollars on food we have to keep a small fridge for backup because we can trust this dollar water. And now again it's not cooling. Waiting for repair man now.

Hello Andrea,

We hate to see that you have had a negative experience with your refrigerator and want to offer our assistance so that we can expedite a resolution for you. In a private message, can you let me know the name of the company that you working with on the repair? According to our records we do not have a recent repair on file and would like to help out any way we can.

LG

Original review: Jan. 4, 2020

We had an LG refrigerator and over-stove microwave. Little things broke, bits of plastic, brackets etc., large annoyance factor. Also freezer at highest setting but does not get lower than 20 degrees (should be zero). Panel above door of microwave broke loose, could not be reset, had to hold it in place with tape. The brackets that hold up drawers for fruit & vegetables broke, we got a replacement, it broke again. This was all in the first year. The things just feel cheap and unreliable. We junked the microwave a year ago. Today, last straw for the fridge. The auto ice maker, over several weeks, was working, then stopped, then started again, then stopped, then started once more -- then went crazy! It would not stop pouring water into the ice tray. Had to cut off water supply. If we hadn't been home at the time and noticed, it would have flooded our kitchen. I have had it. Good Riddance LG!

LG Refrigerators response

Do you still need our assistance?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

3 compressors in 6 years. When I first purchased my LG Refrigerator I was thrilled. It was the largest model on the market at the time and I needed that. I loved the organization inside as well. We purchased in June of 2013. Unfortunately, this is where the story goes bad. In Feb. of 2016 we had to have the compressor replaced. It was under warranty but we still had to pay 558.59 for labor. Not even two years later in Oct. of 2018 we again had to have the compressor replaced. We paid 690.00 for labor. AND one short year later, we were again faced with a repair bill for 790.00 to fix a leak in the cooling system and they were going to give us a new compressor AGAIN.

When the repairman came to fix the leak, he discovered that the leak was higher up in the refrigerator cabinet and could not be fixed. I am now faced with having to purchase a NEW refrigerator after just 6 years! WHAT??? The expected life of an LG refrigerator is 10-14 years, mine barely made it to half of that and has had to have the compressor replaced twice. RIDICULOUS!!!! I have been inconvenienced 3 times by this shoddy appliance. We paid over $2,000.00 for this refrigerator and then over 1100.00 in repairs! IF we could have actually repaired it THIS time, I would have paid out 2000.00 in repairs!

I have a Kitchen Aid refrigerator in my basement that is 20 years old and still going strong, never had a service call on it! I will NEVER buy another LG product. I also have an LG washer and dryer that have both had to have repairs! Life Good is their motto - not in our case - Life has been complicated and expensive because of products that do not stand up to the life expectancy of their products!

LG Refrigerators response

Hello Ally. Did you receive a resolution?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I have the same issue on my fridge that everyone else has (bad compressor) on a refrigerator that is only 2 years old. I have LG phones, TVs, dishwasher, stove, microwave, washer and dryer. But now I find out that the refrigerators are nothing more than junk due to issues with the compressor. There is a class action lawsuit on this. I spent about 3600.00 for something that lasted 2 years. Unacceptable. Really should be 0 stars.

LG Refrigerators response

Thank you for the update Mark!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

I purchased the refrigerator in 2016. Sadly after only 3 years it quit cooling - seems to be an issue that others are having. Ridiculous that such an expensive item fails! Tried to have it repaired but I cannot find anyone local that will work on LG appliances.

LG Refrigerators response

Just checking in Julie, do you still need our assistance?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2020

We purchase an LG refrigerator 2 years ago. On December 4, 2019 our refrigerator stopped working. Since that time, we have had 7 service calls, where they have replaced the compressor twice and the condenser once, the refrigerator still doesn't work. We have lost hundreds of dollars in food, in addition I have had to take many hours off work to meet repairmen that can't seem to fix the refrigerator. Today, is January 2, 2020 and we still don't have a working refrigerator and LG does not care. This is ridiculous!

Hello Tasia,

We hate to see that you have experienced the issues that you are describing and want to assist expediting a resolution. In a private message, can you send me your phone number, model and serial number so that I can explore all options for you?

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

Bought an LG Fridge at Home Depot 6 years back (around October 2013 for >$2500, Model LFX28968ST). Here is a snapshot of what happened: October 2015, Freezer does not cool. Issue with Defrost. Went away on its own after I shut it down for a week. October 2019, Compressor Failed. Replaced Compressor. Paid $500 for labor. Part was covered under 10 year warranty. Lost about $300 in food. ($800). December 2019, Fridge is not cooling. The LG technician looked at it, ordered a part and is going to try to fix it (it's been almost 10 days). I already know what is going on. The compressor has failed again and the sealed system is blocked. The latter causes the former and the vicious cycle will continue. Bottom line: This Fridge is gone after 6 years. ($1100 lost + the original cost!).

Why we bought LG over Whirlpool, GE, etc.: We were told about the amazing compressors which were predicted to last 20 years. I have a Ph.D. in Engineering and did my own research and everything they said seemed plausible (the technology description made sense). However, the compressors have a high failure rate. Once the compressor fails, it will fail again soon (a problem with the sealed system) and therefore do not bother replacing the compressor and paying for the labor. Bottom line: Once someone tells you that the compressor in a LG Fridge is gone, don't repair, send it away for recycling.

What needs to be done? Government needs to step in. I am typically against imposing regulations because they are burdensome to the specific industry in terms of compliance. However, when an industry is a quasi-monopoly (Fridge manufacturers!), the warranties need to be heavily regulated. (Sealed system + Compressor, parts and labor should be covered for 10 years and repairs must be done in 48 hours. Cost of food up to $300 must also be covered).

What I am thinking about doing? Keep this in the garage and try to figure out the issue. Then, I will make a YouTube video about what is wrong with the Fridge and why it fails. I understand that it is hard to generalize using just one example but hopefully the youtube video will help me gather additional evidence. LG probably already knows what is going on but they will not own up to it. I am so disappointed that I will never buy any LG product again.

Vibhav,

Can you let me know when your repair date is? I would like to assist you in any way that I can.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

Installed unit from 7/15/2016. Morning 12/24/2019 wife noted dripping water into unit from front upper ice maker. Upper 56/lower 54 degrees. Merry Christmas, family coming, 12lb ham for Christmas & 10lb brisket for Christmas Eve. Immediately connected with LG phone & "Clark" the virtual voice response system. After 2 quick checks on virtual phone; 1) Yes unit is level and doors closed, 2) No change in fridge 37 degree setting recently; "Clark" at main office determined required service person & sent text message to file form online. Performed immediately & attached scanned copy 12/24/2019 of all prior receipt/invoicing paperwork for original install. Confirmed upon completion same time that original registration was in system by logging onto original registration account. NO RESPONSE after confirmation online that they had received my input or assigned anyone from local service.

On 12/26/2019 evening located 2 available LG service centers in area from LG website, still no follow-up directly and no means noted to do such. Left voice message with one local service center 12/26. Next morning 12/27 called them again and resubmitted my invoice/installation paperwork for warranty confirmation to them via email & scheduled earliest available service visit for Tuesday 12/31/2019. Diagnosis 12/31 -> failed compressor. LG class-action lawsuit noted; still no follow-up from LG Main Office directly after original online submittal & confirmation of receipt. Local service anticipates once LG receives their paperwork end of day when he returns to office & LG re-certifies/validates original purchase/registration; then typically 7-10 business days for LG to send parts to them.

Different person will install compressor once they reschedule fix/install. Warranty paperwork indicates Parts on LG, all labor on me. Wish there was a direct way to speak with a real person at LG main office to address issues & receive proper confirmation of path forward for wife/family planning next few weeks without fridge/freezer - Ouch! Is anybody there???

Hello Craig,

Just checking in. We would like to assist you on this repair, and need your model/serial number in order to proceed. In a private message, please send me your information and any other concerns that you may have.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

Will never buy another LG product! We have a fridge that we bought a year ago, it has stopped cooling our food. All our frozen food was melted and the food in the fridge was on the way to being warm! We cleared the fridge out and the coils were fine (not frozen). We tried everything. Then realizing it wasn't something we could fix at this point we called LG. LG then proceeded to tell us that someone would contact us in 24-48 hrs about our fridge to schedule a repair... well no call. So we called again, they said someone would fix to in 15 or so days. 15 days without a fridge?! Was told they would call us back in a couple hours so they can look into it. AGAIN, no call back! Imagine that! We are beyond frustrated! Upon researching the company, they are known their fridges having issues!

LG Refrigerators response

Hello Shanna, Thank you for notifying LG of the experience you have encountered thus far. This is not indicative of how we want our valued customers to feel. We’ll be happy to look into this and answer any questions that you have. Please send a private message so that we can assist you.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

I purchased this LG fridge in 2014 and was very pleased with it till this past week when it has been nothing but an issue. Out of the blue it completely lost all power, no lights, no display panel, no fans or compressor. We had to throw all all the food that we had purchased for the holidays. I called LG customer support and was very disappointed, as all they could do was ask me to try another outlet and then try to charge me $125 just to have someone come look at it. They recommended a local service that was approved by them, so I called and scheduled an appointment. They came out and replaced the PCB and the power came back and the fridge and freezer appeared to be working fine.

After 48 hrs the Fridge still had power but everything thawed out and all the ice melted making a mess in the fridge and on the floor. Not to mention, the second batch of food that had to be thrown out because we filled the fridge after 24 hrs when it appeared to be working. When I called customer support, they were zero help and told me I had to deal with the repair service that made the repair. Of course it was a weekend so I had wait another two days. When I got in touch with the repair company they told me that if it was a sealed system or compressor issue, they could diagnose it but were not authorized to repair it. So basically I wasted my money, because the repair company that LG told me to call is not authorized to make the repair.

When I called LG customer service back, all they told me was that they could schedule another LG repair person to come out, which I would have to pay another $125 for, to diagnose and make the repairs. I complained about having to pay another fee when if they referred me to the correct repair service to begin with, I wouldn't have had to pay the second fee. Their response was just that they were sorry and there wasn't anything they could do. After complaining and continuing to ask to speak to someone else I was put on hold and when they came back, they told me all they could do was file a formal complaint to upper management about the incorrect referral but I was assured there was no guarantee anything would happen or that I would even receive a followup call to resolve the complaint.

I was very upset to find out that this seems to be a common issue with these LG fridges. A quick search on the internet and speaking to the repair service, they see multiple calls a week on these LG Fridges due to bad PCB and or compressor failures. It is nice that LG warranties the compressor for 10 yrs, however it's, disturbing that they all seem to fail before 10 yrs and the warranty doesn't cover the labor or help with the hardship and loss of money as a result of the fridge failing to work.

The worst part of the experience has been the support from LG. I'm not a qualified technician but I'm pretty handy and can diagnose most problems. When talking with LG customer support they have zero interest in hearing the symptoms and the troubleshooting that has been done to try to work through the issue. As soon as they are done with their pre-determined check list of questions, they quickly rush you off the phone to schedule a repair man to come out which of course they charge you for.

Hello Eric,

Did everything go well with the repair? I would like to compensate you for your troubles. If interested in my assistance please send me a private message.

LG

Original review: Dec. 29, 2019

We bought this LG refrigerator 2 years ago. The ice maker has started to work intermittently about 6 months into ownership. We live with it until 18 months into ownership when it quit working. We change the filter, reset the machine, search the Internet to find solutions nothing worked. Finally two years into ownership we Paid Over $200 to repair the ice maker on a new LG appliance.

Just checking in Pat.

Do you need assistance with your LG refrigerator? If so we would like to help.

LB

Resolution response: March 2, 2020

After continuously failing to follow thru and scheduling appointments without showing up, numerous promises to call us and NEVER following thru, LG refunded a portion of the purchase price after we signed a ROL. I will never purchase their products again.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2019

We've been dealing with a quality issue with our fridge for 3 years. The compressor has failed twice. The compressor was last replaced in 5/2019. LG sent a repair tech that did more damage than good and I have been without a working fridge since 12/1/19. Multiple escalations to attempt to resolve, along with promises to call me which still has not happened to date. LG claims since the sticker in the fridge is missing they will not repair. Although they have been out multiple times to repair previously. The items are still under warranty and yet they refuse to accept responsibility or even discuss. Terrible products and service!

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

The brand is fine. However, their customer service is horrible. They run you in different directions and nothing is their responsibility. We had a damaged fridge upon delivery. We did not receive a replacement over the holidays and there was no confirmation of when we were to receive our new one. Chad was extremely rude when speaking with me over the phone and does not know how to deal with people. LG and their customer services apparently does not deal with the delivery team and their customer service again gives you the run around. Their customer service is worse than Comcast.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

My 80 yr old parents bought an LG high end fridge 2 1/2yrs ago with an extended 5yr warranty. Nothing but problems. First was a seal (I believe) than it became very noisy, so noisy my father could hear it without his hearing aids! Now the entire fridge/freezer won’t cool! Compressor was replaced with no improvement. Now they are completely without a fridge for 3 weeks!!! They were offered a temp fridge, but there is no room for one. 80 years old and no fridge - unacceptable!!!! This fridge is obviously a lemon - they just want a new fridge and no one will help them. Very disappointed in LG and Best Buy!!!!

LG Refrigerators response

Hello, Thank you for notifying LG of the experience you have encountered thus far. This is not indicative of how we want our valued customers to feel. We’ll be happy to look into this and answer any questions that you have. Please send a private message so that we can assist you.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

My LG smart inverter compressor refrigerator does not cool at all when switched on (only the light comes on). Serial No: 805NRRD086878, Model: GL- B201ALLB. SPZQNGR/0028, ADDRESS: PORT HARCOURT - NIGERIA, PHONE NO: **. Please what I do to make it work? It is really frustrating.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2019

Updated on 01/01/2020: Update from LG, they offered to send a tech out to inspect my refrigerator but the stipulation was that I would charged for the visit for anything outside the warranty. When they read my review about being charged because I had outside tech come and put in a compressor, they cancelled the tech. I exposed the fraud of the company telling them I knew about the charge and would not fall for their deception. Truth released about this company.

Original Review: I Bought LG Refrigerator about three years ago for my new home. By the Way LG means "Lucky Goldstar." I don't feel very Lucky, in fact I feel like I have been scammed by a company that does not care for their customer. I paid close to $3000 for this top of line refrigerator which was rated by Best Buy five stars. On December 11, 2019 in the morning I noticed the freezer part was defrosting and ice formed around the doors and I had a freezer full of food. I also notice my refrigerator was not cooling properly. And there was a puddle on the floor in front of the ice maker. I thought it was an ice cube stuck in the bin and it melted onto the floor. Cleaned it up and went to work. When I came home there was more water in front of the refrigerator. I now knew something was wrong. I opened the freezer and saw my frozen food defrosted.

I panic. Who can I contact now, it is after six PM. I called a friend who recommended her tech to come out and check my fridge. I did call him and he came out around 8:30 PM that night. And his diagnoses was that the Linear Compressor went and everything in the fridge needs be discarded. He said he could get another one in for $595.00 and put it in tomorrow. Since I paid so much for this fridge, I consented to have the work done. I needed a Fridge. After he left, I spent hours cleaning out the fridge and freezer and did not finish till way after 1:00 AM in the morning and I had to be up at 4:00 AM for work. I had to throw all that food out. I had steaks, shrimps, meats, fish and honey baked ham given to me for Christmas from my job.

The tech did come back the next day with a new LG linear compressor and installed it and now we are up and running once again. It took about 24 hours for fridge to cool off and the following day, I started stocking my fridge. But within a few days, the fridge did not seem to be working right. I kept checking it. The freezer part was forming crystal around the inner drawers and the food was not cold. Now on December 24, 2019 I am calling the tech who put the compressor in and he is heading out of town but he sent a friend to check out the fridge. At 5:30 PM The eve of Christmas he comes and checks and tells me that the coils are leaking and it would very costly to fixed to contact LG Customer Service.

My first thought is to get my frozen stuff out and try to salvage what I can and bring it over to a friend house. When finished with that I decided to call LG. I spoke to lady name Abby who politely told me because I used an outside tech to service their fridge my warranty is canceled nullified and void. She also told me that linear compressor is only under warranty for five years. My manual says ten years. It does not say anything about calling an outside Tech to service my fridge cancels my warranty on this fridge. Think about it, if I had to call LG for a tech to come out it would have taken more than a week to get this done. And time to get a linear compressor to replace the one I had. And to make matters worse, both techs told me that LG has had major issues with linear compressors and they knew about the issues and still installed them in each refrigerator. The company is scamming the American people and are not willing to compensate them.

My total cost for this fridge to balm is $4500 plus buying a new fridge. I am a 75-year-old working for $15 per hour. Which means I will have to work 300 hours to recoup my losses plus buying new fridge. I am warning the public to not buy from this company any products, they are not reputable to deal with and you will take quite a loss. Their Refrigerators look good on the outside but their components on the inside are made cheaply and you pay dearly.

LG Refrigerators response

Hello Margaret, Thank you for notifying LG of the experience you have encountered thus far. This is not indicative of how we want our valued customers to feel. We’ll be happy to look into this and answer any questions that you have. Please send a private message so that we can assist you.

LG

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

Customer service won't replace my unit due to I misplaced the receipt from 3 years ago however they have all the records of the times they had to come and repair the unit three years old. I would not recommend LG as they have a lot of common problems. Seek another brand with better customer service.

Hello Jeff,

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

I purchased LG double door refrigerator in October 19. Within one month I noticed plastic body of door depressed from one place. I complained to LG try to explain them the body cannot be depressed within one month unless there is some manufacturing defect or weakness in that part. LG is asking me to pay for the part which got depressed within month. What quality LG boast for.

Hello Sundeep

Original review: Dec. 22, 2019

At Thanksgiving our LG refrigerator and freezer stopped working. We bought it new a few years ago and loved its design and size. It was a lot of money for us but we splurged. We called the company we bought it from and they told us to call LG service direct. We could not get any response when calling LG so just decided to get a tech to look at it. Took him a week to get back to us because of the holidays. He told us the sealed freon system was broken and the compressor was toast and he could not do the repair. He charged us for the visit and left. He said it would cost a lot of money to fix - So we tried to contact another service company to fix it.

The only one we could find to work on our fridge is a couple of hours away and we have to take the refrigerator to them. It is very heavy and taking it down a flight of stairs is pretty scary and we really don't want to transport it. We called LG again trying to get a service tech to come out to our home to fix it but can't get through to anyone. At this point we are probably going to buy another brand as we have been without a fridge for weeks. If LG wants our business please answer your phones!

Hello Donald,