LG Refrigerators
  • 1 star
Based on 332 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

LG Refrigerators

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Dec. 11, 2017

2021 LG Refrigerators Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: May 22, 2016

We've had this LG refrigerator for the best part of 5 years and it is still going strong. There is minor rusting at the bottom part but that is probably our fault. The freezer also started to form ice which we do not like one bit but we consider it a minor thing. It has not broken down so we're kind of happy with that. The light indicator became an issue back then as it was not working as it should have, but we made a minor tweak in the wiring so that it's back up running good again. I wouldn't say we are particularly careful with our appliances but this fridge has managed to make it through up to this day which is very much fine. It looks like we did not make a mistake in choosing an LG product. I expect it to last another decade or so, which is how it should be with stuff like this. If it does, I will write an update on this review ten years from now and will give a 5-star rating.

Original review: May 20, 2016

We bought our LG Smart Inverter fridge last year. When we were shopping, we were looking for a spacious freezer and of all fridge we've seen, its layout stood out. The height and the depth (the z-axis) is greater than others. We could stuff a lot of meat, ice cream, ice inside and since last year, we have never filled it up to its full capacity even though we've hosted large parties in our house. It also have compartments inside that are intuitively placed, not just placed there for the heck of it. My favorite is the chiller, it's spacious and it can semi-freeze meat, hotdogs, chorizo, making it still fresh.

We have not had any problems with the fridge. Hope we don't have to use its 10-year warranty. The only downsides with the fridge is that the egg tray can only accommodate 8 eggs and even though the doors are closed, somehow, insects are able to creep inside. I don't know how they can get inside to both the freezer and the lower compartment. I constantly remove dead insects inside. So far, fridge is performing as expected.

Original review: May 19, 2016

I purchased a LG refrigerator from Abt Electronics in 12/15. Less than 8 months, the ice maker was not working. The manufacturer came out, ordered the part and had it delivered to my house the next day. He returned to install it. Then less than 18 months after purchasing the new refrigerator, it started making a strange noise. The next morning, there was water in it.

Called LG and was told the warranty was up since it was over a year old to call Abt and use my extended warranty service. Called Abt, they diagnosed the problem as it needing a new condenser! Had to wait on the part. Returned a week later installed the condenser. Later the same day, the panel on the doorways showing an error code and the ice maker or water dispenser wouldn't work nor was it cooling in the refrigerator but the freezer was working. Used my extended service warranty again, had to wait a week to get the part and reschedule another service call. They came out to install the fan.

I have now had all three major parts on this less than 1.5 year old LG refrigerator. What else can go wrong now? Thank goodness I had an old 30 year old refrigerator in my garage to use as a backup! Wouldn't ever buy an LG refrigerators again. Hoping this last five years! My earlier refrigerator lasted 22 years with no repairs. I just bought a new one since I had my kitchen remodeled!

Original review: May 17, 2016

I have a LG fridge, it's 5 years old, in the last month of its long term warranty. I bought it from Home Depot. The compressor quit April 29th, almost 3 weeks. The warranty company sent a LG tech to repair. It took a week to get him here. He ordered the compressor, said it would take 2 weeks to get it. This Friday, May 20 will be 2 weeks. I can't believe that LG doesn't have a compressor in stock for this fridge, only 5 years old. I have two LG fridges, but you can be sure, this is my last one. Breaking down is bad enough, but waiting 3 weeks and maybe longer for repairs isn't good at all.

Original review: May 16, 2016

The LG refrigerator bottom freezer was the worst purchase I have ever made. I will not buy nor recommend purchasing any LG garbage. Horrible, horrible service from LG. I've only owned this piece of garbage for 4 years. I've had the repairmen out 6 times and the freezer still doesn't work. LG still refuses to replace it. Be smart, buy something other than LG.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LG TV?

Original review: May 13, 2016

Our LG refrigerator compressor went out. I have been on the phone 4 times for hours and today was told the compressor warranty is only 7 years when I was previously told all was good it was 10 years. They had previously asked for all my information each time and even email of the repair place to initiate the warranty. WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE EVER. What a waste of time. I will NEVER EVER BUY LG again.

Original review: May 13, 2016

After 20 years with Kenmore we decided to buy a LG refrigerator. We paid $2200.00. It broke down after 11 months. Called Lowe's to find out about the warranty repair. Was told to call LG. Called LG and was told to call a service company. Was given the number. Called the company and was told by them they have not did service for LG over 5 years and told LG to take them off the list. Called back to LG. Got the same number. Explained to them they do not service LG anymore. Was the told they cannot find anyone in our area.

After two days of phone calls was given a number to someone called. He came out. Had never worked on LG before. Didn't know how he was getting paid. Call LG to help walk him through the repair. They told us it was a fan and will order it 4 days later. Still no word. Called LG. Was told the part will ship today. Refrigerator is still down. Will have to wait until next week to see if it gets repaired. I will never buy appliance or any big ticket item again from Lowe's or LG or anything LG sells. Will stay with Kenmore or with a company that offers local service.

Original review: May 12, 2016

For the second time in less than 2 years, my LG french door refrigerator has MAJOR issues. I'm not counting the other service calls on this hunk of junk - just the one that two weeks to fix before (bad motherboard) and the one now which is a sealed system (or "unsealed" in our case). LG is SO UNHELPFUL it isn't even funny. I've bought a lot of refrigerators over the years, and never, ever, ever have I had these kind of problems. And, if LG actually stood behind their product, I wouldn't be this angry. But they couldn't care less.

They read the little scripted message to you over and over again, that when they receive the technician report they'll see what they can do, etc. Probably the same thing as they did the last time, which was absolutely NOTHING! When you've made a purchase of close to $3,000, you'd like the thing to work for more than a year without a problem!!! Do yourself a favor, and NEVER BUY AN LG REFRIGERATOR UNLESS YOU LIKE HAVING YOUR BLOOD PRESSURE SHOOT OFF THE CHARTS!!!

Original review: May 10, 2016

Purchased an LG fridge model LFX29945ST from our local Home Depot. We've had this fridge for almost 2 yrs now but we have had a number of issues after the first year of owning this POS. First issue is the annoying high pitch noise that comes from the compressor at times. Called Tech support and was told that our Fridge was not leveled and was most likely the cause of the issue. Our fridge is perfectly leveled and our house is only 2 yrs old with a perfectly leveled floor.

Second issue is the lower freezer door will not close all the way at times due to ice building up on the tracks for the Freezer Door not allowing the door to seal the Freezer completely. I occasionally have to chip the ice away so the freezer door will close all the way so our food does not thaw out in the freezer. The last and final issue that we've had with this fridge, is at the bottom of the control panel next to the water and ice dispenser one day just started discoloring and peeling and now our fridge looks worse than our previous fridge that was 6 yrs old. I expected better quality for the price and wish I never bought this Fridge at all. DO NOT BUY!!

Original review: May 9, 2016

Bought a $2000 bottom 3-door (freezer on the bottom) refrigerator just 2 years ago. Eleven days ago it quit running. Had a technician out who said it was the compressor. He said he'd order a compressor and have it delivered to my home, and he'd be back 2 days later to install it. Come to find out the compressor is back-ordered until MAY 29th!!! It has been 11 days already and now I'm expected to wait 20 more days??? How can anyone be expected to live out of a cooler for a month??? Obviously, this company does not produce quality appliances, does not adequately service what it sells or stand behind the products. Don't buy anything LG unless you're prepared to be put through ** if something goes wrong!

Original review: May 5, 2016

This fridge, bought new, still under warranty, has a broken compressor, and asking them to come fix it is like asking the Pope for a visit. The fridge is the stupidest thing we've bought. It's still not fixed, so we're getting a Maytag or Whirlpool. Do not buy LG ANYTHING!!! They are the worst. In terms of actual product & with customer service.

Original review: May 3, 2016

My 14 month old 26 cu foot LG refrigerator completely died on 4/19. LG ONLY allows their service companies and THEIR parts for repair. 1st attempt at repair did not work. Now they tell me it will be 5/15 to get the needed part and "sorry for my inconvenience". I spent the last 3 days on the phone with management and although I have been told they'd replace the unit, they have not. I have been told 3 times now that I'd get a call back within 24 hrs and never have. They are totally giving me the runaround and flat out lies.

I have been without a fridge for 14 days now... with several children. No milk, no cheese, etc. It is a nightmare. If I had known the horrible customer service issues, I'd have just gone out and bought a different brand fridge weeks ago. I guess I'm a sucker for believing that the company might actually want to provide a satisfactory customer experience. Not being on hold for 45 min while a recording repeatedly chimes "your time is valuable to us".

Resolution response: May 18, 2016

Resolved.

Our LG refrigerator lights are now working correctly and shut off when the door is closed. When I first called LG about the problem, They only recommended repair facilities near me to call at my expense. They did not offer to fix the problem. When I talked to the service repairman to set up a visit, he recommended calling a different number to see if LG would take care of it since this was a common problem with many lawsuits about it before. Before I did that, here is what we did.

After we figured out that the lights would not go out when the door was closed, creating the high heat inside. (55 degrees). We unplugged the fridge as one could not unscrew the light bulbs because they were extremely hot. When cool, we re-plugged in the fridge and verified that the lights would not go out when the door was closed. In just those few minutes, the bulbs were almost too hot to unscrew. We unscrewed them just enough so they would not come on. We were screwing them in and out for a couple of weeks in order to see inside, and unscrewing them before closing the door. This was a big pain in the neck. I checked several times before calling LG, that they stayed on after closing the door. With the light bulbs unscrewed, we also verified that the beep still went off when the door was left open for a while. With the light bulbs unscrewed, the fridge was now working great for the cold. Probably better than before. I put a thermostat inside to monitor the temperature and it stayed right where I had it set at on the door. I don't know why, but after a couple of weeks unscrewing and screwing the bulbs in and out, I finally decided to remove them and install new light bulbs to see if they would work.

I installed the fluorescent ones, the ones with the curlicue tube, 60-watt daylight ones. They worked great, and they went out when the door was closed. WOW, what luck. The fridge has been working well now for about a week, with much better light than the original bulbs, and they go out when the door is closed. They do not get hot at all. For the other issues in the previous post, I can shut the ice maker off manually when the ice bucket is full, and we do not use the water on the door due to the high cost of the filter anyway. We can live with those issues. At least we will not have to buy a new fridge due to the light bulbs not shutting off when the door is closed. Model LRFD22850ST

Original review: May 2, 2016

Found my refrigerator at 55 degrees. Figured out that the lights were extremely hot and would not shut off when the doors were closed. The plastic cover fell down and I cannot re-install it anymore. Previous problems encountered were with the water dispenser and the ice maker and room temperature reading. The water dispenser works sometimes, sometimes it does not. The ice dispenser does not shut off when the tray is full and the ice cubes spill over into the freezer bottom. The room temperature reading on the door of the refrigerator is incorrect, it sometimes reads about 5-10 degrees higher than the real temperature. Don't know yet if it was caused due to the lights not going out? Model LRFD22850ST, Ser No. **.

Original review: May 2, 2016

I bought an LG refrigerator 5yrs ago. I have had problems with the freezer area freezing up and causing problems then I started having other problems, the compressor went bad and it was under warranty for 10 yrs. I called LG and they wanted to just push me off and give me a bunch of BS. They gave me a number of one of their certified companies to come work on it, so I do just that. The company comes out and I had to pay for the service call, then they told me that I had to pay for the part, which is 800.00 and then I had to get LG to refund me. Then I called LG and they said, "No," that the company had to get it. The company that LG sent out to my house refused to buy the piece, stating that LG does not want to refund them the product. I should not have to deal with this. I finally got that issue taken care of and not something else is wrong with the refrigerator. I am done, getting rid of it, and I will NEVER have another LG product. EVER.

Original review: May 2, 2016

I bought a side-by-side stainless LG refrigerator freezer from Conn's appliances and within two years, I noticed bubbling outside of the icemaker and rusting started. I contacted LG and sent pictures. They sent a response back and said it was cosmetic and there was nothing they were going to do. They advised me to paint it but it was bubbling. They said that there was no warranty purchased but it was still not be covered because it was cosmetic but it just looks disgusting and the problem continues. We finally put a piece of silver duct tape over the spot.

Original review: May 1, 2016

My newly purchased LG refrigerator had a continuous leak/drip from the water dispenser immediately after installation. After six attempts to fix it, LG decided to deem it "normal" rather than fixing the problem. A few weeks after owning this refrigerator, water started dripping from the water filter inside the refrigerator. LG refused to fix this issue and told me that I would have to pay for the repair.

In my interactions with LG, the customer service supervisor was demeaning, condescending, rude, and unhelpful. I wrote LG corporate headquarters to notify them of my horrible experience with LG and to ensure that they knew that I was unhappy with their product and their customer service. Their response was that the refrigerator was working "as designed." They never apologized for my experience. After owning this refrigerator for less than 3 months and it never working right, I decided to call the place that I purchased to exchange to a different brand. I will never purchase any LG product again and I would recommend that you look at a different brand like KitchenAid or Kenmore.

Original review: April 29, 2016

French door with water and ice distributor, bottom freezer, refrigerator LFX28968ST, barely 3 years old (still have one more payment), non-functional. Thursday, We noticed water spillage on floor in the morning but just assumed kids dropped ice and didn't clean up. In the evening we noticed nothing was cold and everything in freezer was defrosted and warm. Called LG, troubleshooted a few things, nothing. Even the "SMART diagnostic" could not be processed. We paid the flat rate for a service call.

Friday morning, LG technician came, verified and said there was nothing to be done, non-repairable. Filled out the paperwork, took pics, scanned the bill of sale, sent to LG office and told us LG will replace and in that 72 hours should have a response. Weekend without fridge - good thing it was cool outside. Waited until Wednesday, no response. Call back LG customer service (located in Philippines). They have receive request but are still processing. Normally takes 7-10 business days, but since this is urgent, 3-5 business days.

Well today, is 5th business day. I called back, they responded that it is still being processed, calculating the pro-rated amount, and someone will call us mid-next week. I ask to speak to someone in the department who is better able to help, but they do not transfer to whatever dept that would be, nor will they transfer to supervisor. I have a family to feed, and my home business involves cooking. I have lost the contents of my fridge and even though the temperature outside is cool, it dips below freezing at night and there are scavenging animals. Does anyone know a mailing address for LG so I could send them a legal letter? Customer support is really not helpful. I recommend not buying LG! This was the first and will be the last!

Original review: April 28, 2016

We purchased a 23 cubic foot French door refrigerator. Unfortunately we did not purchase an extended warranty. Within three years, the first problem was the ice maker, which LG repaired at no cost. The second problem came when a handle for a crisper broke off and now the fan motor now sounds like a motor boat. This all happened within three years and when I tried to contact a person of responsibility my emails go unanswered. I feel that this a poorly made product and seek relief and repair.

Original review: April 23, 2016

LG fridge broke while still under warranty. LG sent people out here 5 times and the LG certified repair people can not fix it. LG will do nothing about it and I have been on the phone with them for over 6 hours trying to get help. Please buy any other brand except Samsung. I think they are the same. I call the LG phone and they answer it's Samsung. The refrigerator is in the garage right in front of the LG convection oven that they could not repair 2 years ago. Anybody who would like these 2 appliance can call me. We are going out to buy a new fridge this weekend and it will not be LG or Samsung.

Original review: April 23, 2016

The freezer seems to defrost by itself when we turn the temperature down (or before the "cold" mark used when the fridge is only 25% occupied). I woke up once and noticed that there's a puddle of water surrounding the fridge. I thought I just forgot that I pushed the defrost button, but upon checking, the button wasn't pressed at all. I couldn't find the owner's manual since the fridge is already 5 years old. Not really sure if this is a technical issue or if this is indicated in the manual. Haven't tried to contact customer service about this issue. Just need to find the warranty papers and manual first.

Original review: April 23, 2016

I bought what I thought was a beautiful fridge about 7 months ago. Our old Amana lasted for almost 20 years and I just had to have a French Door model. Right from the start it made an annoying noise and one of the shelves looked like it was crooked. I called the company I purchased it from - I had purchased an extended warranty - and the repairman came and told me that the new compressors tend to have an annoying hum. I said it sounded like the droning on an airplane and he agreed, then told me that it would settle down once the fridge "got to know our usage". Huh?

Fast forward a couple of months and the hum only got louder. Now I couldn't store any jars together. When they touched they would rattle. The shelf that the repairman told me was fine, fell out when I bumped it with my hand, and the mix of soy sauce, barbecue sauce and pickles all over my newly cleaned floor on Halloween night as the doorbell was ringing with trick-or-treaters was nearly enough to make me throw the fridge out the door. I called service again and did not manage to connect. Now the fridge is making a hum so loud that we can hear it all over the house. The frequency must be the same they use to torture prisoners because my husband and I are going crazy with the constant hum. LG products stink!

Original review: April 15, 2016

I have an LG side-by-side refrigerator. Keeps freezing up. I've had service work on it. I have changed the parts out on it, put new parts in it and it continues to freeze up. I have called the service people about it. No one wants to seem to help me and I too have had a bad experience with LG and I would not recommend to buy LG products to anyone especially that home products as far as the stove refrigerator or the dishwasher. I'm hoping that I can get this resolved or are thinking of getting people together to file a lawsuit.

Original review: April 13, 2016

My family member purchased this brand new refrigerator and in six months the ice machine was not working. We called LG for service and their diagnostic testing resolution was to not open the refrigerator door too often. We responded that opening the doors should not cause the ice machine to malfunction. We reset it; and eight months later the compressor goes.

This thing is a lemon. What saved us from further expenses is the fact we had purchased the extended warranty. We did lose food and LG reimbursed us up to $300.00 for the loss. There is no way that a $4000.00 fridge should be breaking down this fast. We have had models costing far less (hundreds) that has lasted 15-20 years: the repair man stated these smart models will only be lasting 6-8 years. Ours hasn't lasted six months to just over a year. My advise, keep it simple, and avoid LG products. There was a local news story that LG contracts out the parts production to many different smaller companies all over the world, so they can't be blamed for their lemons. One must sue the parts company.

Original review: April 12, 2016

Purchased all new LG appliances and 11.5 months to the day my freezer stopped working. I have had 3 different service companies come to my house all claiming it's a different issue. Two weeks ago another company came out and replaced the compressor, it lasted two weeks. I lost most of the food in my freezer and now the refrigerator is holding a balmy 53 degrees. According to the USDA, food stores longer than two hours in temp over 43 should not be consumed. The repair place has to come tomorrow and declare a lemon, but who knows how long it will be before they take care of this, if they ever do. All I can say is NEVER BUY LG products.

Original review: April 8, 2016

Have had fan motor replaced under warranty on December 11, 2015 due to issues with fan. Now 4 months later, same issue with fan once again. Contacted supervisor at corporate office in Alabama. Per supervisor all they can do is have replaced again. Explained paid almost $3,000 for this appliance and should NOT have to replace parts this early on. Asked what they were going to do after warranty expires since seems parts is only going to last approximately 4 months. She basically said would need to purchase extended warranty! Don't think so. ConsumerAffairs needs to get involved to SHUT this company down. I highly suggest NO ONE buy any of these products by LG. We are now contacting an attorney.

Original review: April 6, 2016

LG Refrigerator Model#LFX31925ST - Purchased July 2012. First year, this refrigerator was nothing but a joy, no problems. Second year expected to have to change filters, but not the hell I have gone through. A week before my 60th Birthday, heard noise but couldn't locate where it was coming from, moved refrigerator found nothing going on. Day of Birthday Dinner panel goes in rf and ff mode, so Knowing I purchased the extra Service agreement, I called to see if someone could come repair this problem. 24 hrs later part shows up and 7 days later repairman shows up.

Original review: April 5, 2016

I bought an LG refrigerator, french door model, for my new home. I did purchase the extended warranty but it didn't take a year for problems to arise. 3 months after purchase I had front panel moisture, then the fridge and freezer stopped working. Three repair visits and 2.4 months later, they were unable to fix the fridge. Lost Enbrel shots (3K worth), all condiments, fruit, veggies, etc. There are no provisions from LG to compensate you at all for any loss. No fridge in the interim to live? - LG not concerned.

A local appliance company sent me a loaner when things got desperate. The lack of quick follow-up, poor attitude on the phone, lack of interest in finding a repair company that will come out to fix the appliance and a general interest in taking care of the problem was outrageous. Literally have never had this kind of experience. 3 months... Why didn't LG recognize it might be a bad unit and move to replace the appliance? I will tell everyone I know, the builder who has much of the business here, neighbors, workmates, etc. to not buy LG appliances. That is my only power as a consumer. I understand if things break - what I don't understand is a company failing to stand behind a $2600.00 appliance that is 3 months old. Shame on LG!

Original review: April 2, 2016

Purchased LG Model LFX25978STM, French Door Refrigerator with Ice & Water on May 26, 2014. Worked fine until two days ago when I noticed water leaking from Water Dispenser; further investigation revealed that nothing was freezing, so condenser probably has gone bad. LG Customer Service referred me to places that don't service their products. I was naive enough to think that spending over $2,000.00 for a product that I would get great service from the product so I opted out of the extended warranty; it has only been 22 months and I have egg all over my face! I have no choice but to shell out for repairs, so I hope anyone who is researching before they buy will choose the extended warranty because product reliability isn't what it use to be.

Original review: April 1, 2016

We purchased an LG Refrigerator 5 years ago Model LFX31925ST/00 Super Capacity, 3 door, French door with smart cooling technology. In 2013 we had issues where the freezer would stop cooling. Called LG and they stated, "Nothing wrong with the unit." In March of 2016 the refrig stopped cooling altogether. Called LG and they stated, "The compressor went bad." Called a repair company. The compressor is covered under a 7 year warranty. The labor charge was $706.34 including trip charge, labor, Freon, and small parts.

After the unit was repaired and returned several days later the display on the front panel had error messages. The water dispenser and ice maker stopped working. A new problem and another repair cost of $338.60. For a $3,000.00 refrig to last only 5 years is unacceptable and repair cost to date of $1,044.94. The repair cost is more that 1/3 of the purchase price. We will never purchase any other LG products nor recommend them to anyone. Buyer beware.

Original review: April 1, 2016

LG has the worst customer service. I just got told by one of their supervisors that it isn't her problem. We paid almost 1800.00 for a side by side (model #LFC25765st100) less than 3 years ago and now we have spent $230.37 to have it fixed and it still does not work. After over 3 weeks without a refrigerator to be treated like dirt by their customer service department isn't sitting well with me. They told us we had to use one of their factory authorized repair companies but when I was speaking to the supervisor she told me that was a lie and I could use whoever I wanted with their approval. They lied about 12 times to me in total and will do nothing to fix my refrigerator except charge me another $400.00. I will be spending half of what the refrigerator cost and it is only 3 years old. I thought LG was a good product but I will never buy another and everyone I know will be told to stay away from them.

LG Refrigerators Company Information