2. Homeowners
  3. Windows and Doors

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.63/5

Need help with windows or doors?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Unsubscribe at any time.

Need help with windows or doors?

Get connected with a professional near you on HomeAdvisor

Get started

Kolbe Windows and Doors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kolbe Windows and Doors?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Kolbe Windows and Doors?

Original review: May 27, 2020

We installed quite a few Kolbe windows in our new home. We move in last December. The initial set of screens didn't fit. They sent out a team to remeasure and sent another crop of screens... Most of them didn't fit either. Now the salesman won't return our contractor's calls. The windows have a design with a lip at the top and bottom to hold the screens. With no lip on the side, the screens have to fit to prevent bugs coming in. We have too many bugs. The windows are beautiful, perfect for a modern home but the screens have been just awful.

Original review: May 8, 2020

I have Kolbe Windows throughout my house. One window was opened and the hardware came out of the bottom of the sash. I found it was totally rotten. I checked the rest of my windows and found four sashes totally rotten in the bottom. This included a stationary window. One sash was rotten across the bottom and six inches up the side. Kolbe offered less than a 20 percent discount on their ridiculously expensive replacement sashes. I would not chose these if I were installing new windows.

Get buying tips about Windows and Doors delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2019

I spent a fortune on aluminum clad, wood casement windows when I built my house. I have 33 windows. They leak inside from condensation frost on the outside. They are drafty and the screens are so flimsy they fall apart when cleaning. I would not use this product again!

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

We had a custom home built in 1999 and used all Kolbe and Kolbe windows. The home is large and because we like light and the view we installed a total of 29 on the upper level and 17 on the lower walkout level. About one third crank out the remainder are fixed. In 20 years we have replaced only one fixed pane because it developed a gas leak. We live in Iowa hence we have brutal winters. All seal well against drafts. The secret is good initial installation to prevent air and water leaks. YES, happy after 20 years!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

New home built in 1994, I purchased brand new Kolbe and Kolbe single sash casement windows for new construction. These are aluminum clad wood, double glass glazings with a metal bead separating the two glazings. I precisely installed these windows myself so I know it's not an installation issue. Every window operated perfectly when I first installed them. About 1 year in, many started to become difficult to close. This is when I first noticed the amount of water being held inside the sash. I thought I had a high humidity level so I started running ventilation. It hasn't helped. I live in PA and as soon as the weather starts turning cold, I get an amazing amount of "dew" developing on the bottom inch or two of glazing and if I open the window, it contains about two shot glasses of water all along the inside of the frame and sash. The moisture is condensing on the cold surfaces. I don't know where the cold is getting thru.

On installation, I insulated the area between the windows frame and the rough frame. It's a mystery to me. But now that I’m reading all these reviews describing similar problems, I think that it is not my house but the window that is causing the issue. It's now 2019 so the windows are now 25 years old, but still, you would think they would last the lifetime of a house... Why wouldn't they? I'm going to try and replace all the gasket/weatherstripping materials on a few of the worse offenders to see if that helps. I would not purchase any Kolbe and Kolbe products in the future and would not recommend them.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

Almost all of my windows blow cold air in. I have to put towels and tape to minimize the cold air. None of them align correctly to lock properly but one will not lock at all, resulting in noticeable wind blowing in my bedroom. These windows leak like sieves and are worst than 1940s casement windows I once had.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

Windows are horrible, wind blows right through, actually had a thermometer in the window inside and it read 32 degrees when the inside temperature was 72. Just had a double pane window break randomly on the inside and Horner Millwork says Kolbe will replace the window but we have to pay $150 for installation.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2018

I wish I would have looked at reviews of Kolbe products before I signed the purchase order. I will not be buying more of these and If they could be taken out I would do it. They smell horrible and I have to run an air filter on high to sleep in the room. I’m really concerned now that others have had such terrible and costly issues with these doors and windows. Shipping damage and sending the wrong screen size is certainly an inconvenience as now the new panel coming to replace the damaged one will be day one smell again. I won’t comment on the extra cost of my contractor getting them in. It was $$$. The lock set already seems like it will be an issue and the screen lock was not drilled. The sash holds water when wet which requires wiping it down to get rid of the water. This is probably why people are getting mold, sweat and leaking. Has anyone else had an issue with the toxic smell?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

I have three Kolbe double hung windows that are impossibly difficult to open and close. I have been calling these folks for four months. No reply. I bought these with the understanding that they had a long term warranty. Just words. Now I am going to have to pay someone to fix these.

Original review: April 24, 2018

I built a home in 2010 and my builder only uses Kolbe and Kolbe Windows. We really like the look of them because they are decorative and they let a lot of light inside our home. They are very easy to clean as the windows tilt in and the screens pop out very easy. The only reason I did not give it a 5 star is because the side tracks are hard to clean.

Kolbe Windows and Doors author review by Joseph Truini

Kolbe Windows and Doors was founded in 1946 by brothers Herb and Ervin Kolbe, who were Wisconsin dairy farmers. Working out of their mother’s washhouse, they began repairing broken window frames and building new window sashes. Today, the company has grown into an international window and door company with seven locations in Wisconsin, Minnesota and Colorado.

• Varied offering: Kolbe manufacturers six different window lines in a wide variety of sizes, shapes and styles. The company also offers a line of high-quality, low-maintenance fiberglass entry doors that feature a realistic wood-grain texture with stained finish.

• Energy-efficient windows: Energy-efficient windows meet government specifications that may qualify for tax rebates. Kolbe offers windows in every imaginable shape and size, including all-wood windows, all vinyl windows and aluminum-clad wood windows in a choice of nine different wood species.

• Customizable accessories: Consumers who want to emulate a specific architectural style can choose from a wide range of stylish handles, grills and seal types to help create the look they want.

by Joseph Truini Home Improvement Contributing Editor

Joseph Truini is a home improvement expert who writes extensively about do-it-yourself home remodeling and repair, woodworking projects and tools and techniques. His work has appeared in several national magazines, including This Old House, Popular Mechanics, Country Living, Woman’s Day, and Today’s Homeowner.

Kolbe Windows and Doors Company Information