Save on Appliance Repairs

Save on Appliance Repairs

With the Best Home Warranty

Compare Quotes

56 KitchenAid Cooktops Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 26, 2015

I've owned this Kitchenaid 36" electric downdraft cooktop for 3 years. Never have I had such a poor quality appliance. The paint coating covering the downdraft grill came off in huge chunks. The downdraft compartment is rusting everywhere. And now 1 burner isn't working. It just doesn't stand up to the standards a consumer expects from a Kitchenaid product.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2015

I bought this glass top induction cooktop. Less than one year glass surface has cracked with very little heat. I called the Kitchen Aid to ask them if it is covered by warranty. They said that cosmetic changes won't be covered by warranty. This is a large crack. It will cost me 500 dollar to change it. You would think that they make the glass surface more durable. Since they did not make it durable they should stand back with this product and cover the cracks.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2015

This has been a lemon - within a few months problems started with all burners clicking at the same time and a loud sound under it. Apparently one of the burner wires got burnt. After I got this issue fixed within a couple of months the same happened and one burner is completely out! I carried on with the rem four and now a new problem - the igniter does not start.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2014

Within two weeks of installation, we started to get small scratches and could not get any response from KitchenAid. Basically, this cooktop requires endless maintenance and a very thorough cleaning after each use. The range top we replaced was a 25+ year old Jenn-Air and it did not have one scratch and was simple to maintain. For the cost of the KitchenAid, we expected quality but it is way too fragile for pans, cooking, etc. It is only good for looks, no use!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2014

I have purchased a cooktop from Kitchenaid that is their high end downdraft. Unfortunately, I could not put gas in this house I recently bought. If you don't use it it is fine. But if you are a cook of any sort you will hate it. It has to be cleaned every time you cook anything on it. I have had one burner already go out and the fan has a mind of its own. Sometimes it works, sometimes it does not. My warranty had expired by one month when I had major problems. I called Kitchenaid and they wanted to charge me $374 dollars to give me a 1 year warranty. I declined and found a person who works on them retired who fortunately saved me 300 dollars and repaired it. I absolutely Hate this cooktop and would never ever buy another kitchenaid product.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about KitchenAid?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2014

After 5 service calls to correct a malfunction in my counter depth refrigerator freezer now I find a problem with my electric cooktop. We regularly cook large amounts of pasta sauce and did so a few weeks ago. The largest cooking area, after cooking on #2 power for several hours, has raised, rough areas that will not come off. We purchased several recommended cleaning items and the problem cannot be fixed. I called the service department and was told that a service person could be sent out to look at it but they felt that we caused the problem, we would have to pay for the service call. Now I find that the left burner has a pit mark like the other one. I feel that someone should check the item and that it should be replaced. We purchased 4 large kitchen appliances from your company and feel that we should be given some consideration. Please let me hear from someone who can make a decision. I got nowhere with the service department.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2014

We have had this glass top for about a year and in spite of getting all the recommended cleaning agents we cannot keep it looking clean. My wife is very frustrated. Is this a problem with the design or color or is there some magic way to get it cleaned?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2014

Bought a 36" downdraft electric cooktop and installed it. Within a month one of the burners stopped working. It was the switch, but the ignorant service people bought the wrong part. Had to re-schedule the repair. Only one service tech showed up, needed two to remove the unit. Had to re-schedule. Finally got it repaired. I corrected the re-install so it looked decent. This AM another burner went out!! What a POS!! The negative reviews about Kitchenaid are true. I wish I would have listened.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2014

We reported to Kitchenaid that zone 2 of our new induction cook top model KICU509XBL00 stopped working almost immediately after first use on July 22 2014. Parts have been ordered twice by Appliance Dr, their contract repair service provider, and zone 2 of our cook top is still not repaired. Kitchenaid nor the service company can tell me what is wrong or when it will be fixed. Almost one month without a a working cooktop is unacceptable to me. I have been very disappointed with this feeble effort to repair a brand new unit. Their representatives don't know anything, the repair people don't know anything. I will never purchase another product period.

Original review: July 4, 2014

We purchased this cook top (K1CU569XBL) through Goeman's Appliances. It was recommended by the salesperson as 'one of the best'. Day 1 - we had it installed by a 'professional', turned on the breaker and the top would not work! It had a 'funny' smell. The touchpad beeped constantly - buzzed - just about drove us crazy! I called the store - waited 1 week for a 'service' tech from Whirlpool. He said he agreed it needed to be replaced? The next day I called Whirlpool. They said it could be 'fixed'. I said it was 'brand new' and needed to be replaced. They put me on hold. Then the rep said: "send us the paperwork you have, we will review it then decide." In other words it would be at least another two weeks until I have a cook top! The rep said: "I'm a consumer too. I understand you are frustrated, but we have a process." The process is: stall - until the customer finally gives up and eats out? I would NEVER recommend purchasing any Whirlpool product to anyone!

Unfortunately, we spend a little less than $13, 000 on Kitchen Aid appliances - I will never make that mistake again. If I receive a 'replacement' unit it will be at least 2- 3 more weeks. Whirlpool Canada does not stand behind their products. I highly recommend purchasing from another manufacturer! I could understand 'fixing' this unit if I had even used it ONCE; however, it has NEVER been used! (Go on the Whirlpool site and see how many other brands they make. Do not buy the high-end as there is no guarantee you are going to get a product which works!) The store nor the company will support us - we have had to register with the Ministry and go through their process just to get a 'stove' that works! After doing additional research - and I did some prior to purchase - dig deeply before buying an induction top, especially a Whirlpool brand!

Original review: June 19, 2014

Product purchased 14 months ago. None of the stove top elements work. Meanwhile the Clock/Timer and dual ovens both work. Under 'trouble shooting' in the manual it suggests ensuring 'Lock Out' is unlocked; however this seems to be more for the oven than stove top. Retailer of no help whatsoever and referred me to a third party for warranty work. They are out of town for a month.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2014

April 14, 2013 30 days after I bought my KitchenAid induction cooktop the stove stop working. Stove had a loud buzzing noise. Called KitchenAid a repair person came out and thought the nose was louder than normal. It seems to have a hard time heating-up the food. May 21, 2013, June 2013, July 2013, after three complaints nothing would be done. I notice that the stove was taking longer than normal to heat and cook the food as time goes in August 2013, call KitchenAid, repair person came out and found that the stove was not working as it should. Parts was ordered and repairs made, those parts did not fix the issue. After all the repairs the stove is now shutting down while cooking and would not start back-up or only one or two burners would start.

Now I would have to go to the fuse box and reset the stove. The technician tested the power and found that was not the issue and the stove had power after shutting down. I called KitchenAid and explain that the stove is not working after the parts have been installed. September 2013 stove is still not working, KitchenAid sent out three more technician and parts was replaced. The technician replaced the same parts and stove did not work. Six months later, stove is still not working. I asked KitchenAid to replace the stove. I was denied, I found out that the part that was needed for my stove was the circuit board which KitchenAid would not replace. October, November, December 2013, I have no working stove and KitchenAid has not accommodated me. My stove is still not working after 10 months asking for help from KitchenAid and I have contacted KitchenAid over 30 times and asked for a replacement and have been denied. The warranty is in place until 2015. I found out that KitchenAid warranty do not replace appliance that is a lemon. I made a note to KitchenAid that I have a recording of all issues with stove on video thru out the issues of my complaints. They refused to view the video to get to the issue resolved.

Original review: July 28, 2013

I bought an expensive cooktop only 3 yrs ago thru Sears and it has been nothing but trouble. Only one element is currently working and we have been repairing this piece of JUNK ever since the first few months. The knobs fall off and despite several repairs it still breaks down. Sears admitted it is junk but nothing they can do. NEVER BUY KITCHENAID!

Original review: June 13, 2013

We paid $1,200 for a fairly high-end KitchenAid touch-activated electronic induction cooktop. From the start, the stove acted up, often heating up and turning itself off. Then two burners started flashing an F (internal) error. I tried turning the power off to the unit and turning it back on but that did not fix it. I called KitchenAid for an answer and outside of turning off the power, they did not have any solutions. Our only option was to book a service repairman and we would be charged for all labor. Not impressed. I decided to wait on booking the appointment as the lady told me there was availability starting the following Monday.

When I called back the next day, I found out that they had already booked an appointment and it was for two and half weeks out. That was the first slot available. When I asked if they could come sooner, they said they could give me the phone number of another company in my area. Also, the appointment was in an 8-hour window so someone would have to take a day off work to meet the repairman. I told the customer service rep I was very disappointed with the product and with the service level KitchenAid provided and how I could file a complaint. She said they don't track complaints but she would write down what I had told her in the file. Then she informed me she had done everything she could and unless I needed something else, there was nothing she could do.

Clearly, KitchenAid is unconcerned with their product quality and customer service once they have made the sale. We own several other properties and will certainly not be using KitchenAid Appliance in them.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2012

Kitchenaid Glass Cooktop - I purchased one recently to replace a Jenn-Air that was working but cosmetically damaged from previous homeowners. I also bought KitchenAid's expensive package of cleaning products for the cooktop. During normal cooking, I had a small boil over of oatmeal with sugar in it. After cleaning according to the directions, it left a permanent, cloudy stain on the burner. It is under warranty, but KitchenAid’s customer service (and the supervisor) would not do anything about it because the cooktop still works. I have been very careful since to not let anything boil over (which is ridiculous to have to worry about), but it has happened again. So now I have two stains on two burners. I am not a happy owner and have no recourse. So, I am warning all of you! I have previously been happy with KitchenAid appliances but not anymore.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2012

We have a 2.5 year old KitchenAid gas cooktop, model KGCC566 (5-burner glass unit). Occasionally, over the past year, the igniter unit has made a repeated clicking sound when the cooktop is not in use with all knobs turned to off. I never thought this was potentially dangerous until yesterday afternoon, when the clicking began (again with no one even near the cooktop) and intensified. My sister who was home at the time saw an electrical spark. When my husband went to investigate and touched one of the burner knobs, a fire started inside the unit and we could see red flames through the glass. Of course, he quickly turned off the gas and unplugged the unit.

We have called KitchenAid and have an appointment in a couple days for repair. After researching online, I see this experience is not unique and others have had fires or explosions from KitchenAid cooktops, stoves and ovens! When I think what could have happened if no one had been home or we had been asleep, I'm very shaken! We could have lost our home, our family, our pets, all due to a product malfunction. It doesn't even sound like KitchenAid is very responsive to these issues. And to tell the truth, I'm terrified to use this appliance again even if it were repaired!

Original review: May 2, 2012

Original review: April 2, 2012

We bought a new KitchenAid black glass cooktop. After using it for only a couple of months, the burners scratched terribly. It is because KitchenAid has stopped making the entire surface of the cooktop with the white specks or water marks, as they are called, on the burners themselves. The specks or water marks are every where on the surface of the cooktop except the burners. This leaves the burners unprotected and allows for scratches. The water marks are tiny raised specks that actually keep the pans "lifted" off the bare glass surface of the burners. Because they are unprotected by these tiny little white specks, they scratch very easily. KitchenAid needs to go back to the original design and incorporate the specks or water marks on the entire surface of their cooktops. It’s a no-brainer for crying out loud!

Original review: March 13, 2012

I have set pots on the removable grate only to have it (small removable grate) slip off. I have not had any mishaps but it does concern me.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2011

I put a pot of water on and just had walked away when there was an explosion; the cooktop had exploded . Glass was everywhere. I am very fortunate no one was close by. I have to replace the cooktop at my expense as I cannot get any response from KitchenAid.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2011

My oven was excellent, but when I used the 'Self-Clean' feature, the oven doesn't work at all. After some online research, I found this was a common problem. I was told by the customer service department that they won't cover it, since it is out of warranty. A way to stand by your product.

Original review: May 23, 2005

I think we have a dangerous problem with our KitchenAid gas cook top. When we purchased it all the electronic ignitors operated no matter what burner we turned on? Lately one of the ignitors does not always function, BUT the gas still flows thru the burner. This is what scares me that there is no safety device to only admit gas when ignitor is operational??? Do you have a fix for this problem? Mod. KGCT305BBL

Original review: July 19, 2004

The white specks on the left front burner have disappeared, leaving it looking like it is dirty. It is not dirty - This burner is the only one that has done this. I cook for a bunch of men and use all the burners every day so they should all look the same. The above named lady told me that it's from using aluminum or copper kettles. I don't even have any aluminum or copper kettles. I have an expensive set that I have used for many years. I have a friend that has an identical stove and her front burner has done the same thing as mine. I hate having a "dirty looking" stove.

Original review: March 7, 2003

Purchased a KitchenAid gas (higher end) cooktop from a local store. A few months into using the cook top, we noticed that the (BESELS) and (GRATES) were pitting into the manufacturer's coating. We called for customer service and they did say that they had problems with these parts and would take care of them. Several months later, the problem began occurring again so we again contacted KitchenAid Service. I was told by the customer service representative that they would not cover them again. HER EXACT WORDS WERE: "Well, if you did not use your cooktop, the problem would not be happening." I was quite disturbed with her comment and told her that I think the President of Kitchen Aid should hear how the customer service department represents the company. This clearly a manufacture defect and we would expect that they should take care of this problem. I was told that they would offer a discount but it would not be replaced for free. What recourse do we have for manufacturers that do not stand behind their products?

Original review: Oct. 2, 2002

I hope you can help me. I recently bought a KitchenAid stove top at Warehouse Discount Center in Canyon Country, CA. We are in the middle of remodeling our kitchen, installing granite, refinishing cabinets etc. and only unpacked and installed the range top less than 3 weeks ago (after Labor Day). When we purchased this particular stove top, we were looking at a display model and it was silver bottom with cast iron matte black grates. We specially asked the sales person if the silver part came in black. He assured us it did. We purchased it.

Upon installing and only cooking 3 times on my brand new range top, I noticed the grates had scratched right down to the metal. Figuring it was so brand new I took it to the place where we purchased it only to notice that the silver display model and the model we did end up with was not what we ordered. My black stove top came with Black enamel grates. The sales person proceeded to tell me that there is a defect in the enamel and that it shouldn't have scratched like that. This is not the stove top we ordered. We wanted it in black with the same black cast iron grates that it had on display. Had we known that the black was only available in enamel we would have just gotten the one we saw on display in silver?

Now, I am told by the person who sold it to me that he had no idea that it was in black enamel and that he thought it was the same thing, only in black as on display as well. (Not very good for sales people to be so uneducated on products they are selling.) Now, the store (sales person who sold me the stove) where I purchased told me that since the stove is scratched and is not the one we originally ordered, he would gladly replace the entire stove with the silver as he had no idea himself that it was only in enamel. But that he needed to contact his general manager (Ken **) first to make sure it was ok.

The general manager basically dropped it in Whirlpool/KitchenAid lap and said we needed to deal directly with them. He is taking no responsibility even if his salesman made a mistake and that it is brand new, etc. Basically it’s now my problem. He cashed my check and wants nothing more to hear of it. We then called Whirlpool/KitchenAid as the store we purchased only less than 30 days ago wanted nothing to do with it at all, and said it was our problem.

KitchenAid is sent out a rep. However, I was told they do not replace scratched grates. They only replace manufacture defects only. SO, here I sit after spending $700+ and only using my stove 3 times, in a brand new kitchen with new appliances screwed! And I was told I have no recourse. How can normal cooking use (3x) scratch the grates and the stove top and KitchenAid tell me they can't do anything about it? Is that true? Is there anything I can do.

We have filed a complaint against the store and the manager, but still I have a brand new stove top. I was misrepresented by the store and was sold a stove that was not the same one we ordered. And I have to live with the scratches on the stove. I was told by the store where I bought the stove that they would get me new enamel grates and I could put them out when I have company and use the scratched ones for everyday cooking, as the enamel will probably scratch again. I told them that was unacceptable. Can you help me? Please! Thank you.

Original review: July 11, 2002

We purchased a Kitchenaid Gas Sealed Burner cooktop in early 2000 and had it installed in a slab granite countertop over an oven. This was model #KGCS166GSS - a 5 burner model with cast iron (I was told) burner grates. We cleaned the grates appropriately as per instructions and never even put them in the dishwasher or dropped them but after about a year (after ther 1 yr. warranty on parts expired), a crack developed in one of the grates.

We switched it for another matching grate on the cooktop so as not to stress it any further. About 8 months later, the 2nd grate developed a crack as well in the same place the first had developed! The burner the crack appears at is the 14,000BTU burner only. This seemed quite unusual and certainly not what I would expect from this manufacturer or the caliber of cooktop we purchased.

I've asked Customer Service if these grates may be on a recall list or if there is some other way of having them replaced but I was told that, unless I could provide the Serial # (located underneath the already installed cooktop), they could not help me - even though they have the model number. In order find this "hidden" serial number, a consumer would have to uninstall the oven in order access the underside of the cooktop!

I have had to order the 2 grates for a total of $171.24. The customer service representative would not give me the name of her supervisor but did suggest I contact the CEO of KitchenAid instead. When I insisted on a supervisors name, she said that she has many and would leave a message for one of them to call me back. Under the circumstances, I feel that KitchenAid has made it all but impossible to locate the serial number once the product is installed and is being of no help to remedy these defective grates.

KitchenAid Cooktops Company Information