Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home
Honeywell Heaters
1.08/5

Honeywell Heaters

Protect what matters most

Protect yourself from the unexpected - Shop home warranty companies.

Protect my home

65 Honeywell Heaters Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 4, 2014

The heater plug melted and the heat from the plug melted the receptacle and plate. Luckily this happened just when it was time to wake up and go to work. The room was half filled with smoke. It was plugged into a 15 amp household circuit and yet the breaker never tripped. If you value your home and well-being I would suggest scraping this unit.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2014

Honeywell HZ-717- series heather caught fire and set a room ablaze. DON'T EVER BUY A HONEYWELL PRODUCT AGAIN. They do not stand behind them and they are cheap garbage. MAYBE IF WE ALL BOYCOTT THESE MAD BOMBERS WE CAN LIVE SAFELY. Repeat - Honeywell's HZ 717 is a deadly fire inducing piece of garbage. Sparks and flame were coming from it. I have huge repair bills. At least we are alive to tell the tale. How many caught fire and were blamed on poor placement instead of innate safety errors? I can only hope that my curses reach the CEO of Honeywell and burn him like a fire, all over his greedy body. Do you hear me, you thieves?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2014

I bought two Honeywell oil filled heaters; one just stopped working for no apparent reason in the first week. The second one almost set my house on fire by melting the electrical outlet. Now I’m down $150 on the pair. Honeywell is going to get someone killed and from what I’ve been reading doesn't care in the slightest. How can companies like this just sell inferior and dangerous products and not be held accountable? As far as I am concerned, Wal-Mart and all the other retailers that continue to sell these products are just as much at fault. I will never buy another product from Honeywell ever again and as long as retailers continue to sell these products, I will not shop with them either.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2014

I bought a Honeywell heater from a friend about a year ago and did not need to use it until recently. I put it in my daughter’s room because it's drafty. The setting was left on high for about an hour and it started to smell really bad. After reading these reviews I'm afraid to use it. I'm surprised no one has sued with all of the negative reports from their customers.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2014

My Honeywell oil heater surged and melted to the outlet. I am so thankful I was awake and smelt the wires burning, any other night I would have been asleep. Made in China!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Honeywell?

Original review: Nov. 13, 2013

This heater has been used only a handful of times, although I did purchase it in January 2011, there should have been no reason for the prongs of the plug to have burned my fingers after it had been turned off and unplugged to be put in another area of my home. Unless (wait for it), There is a problem with these heaters. I was lucky I would have rather have had my fingers burned than my home catch on fire. Please be careful if you or anyone else has one of these.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2013

I purchased a HZ-709 oil filled heater and have had many issues with this product. Not only does the temp setting stick on high, the timer did not shut off either. Often times the room would be over 90 degrees and would smell funny. Then after leaving a review 8 months ago which somehow got deleted from the website, customer service asked that I send the heater in for replacement $30 for shipping, I did and never got another one back! So now with winter here, I am out of a heater and $130.00. Extremely disappointed. I would not trust this company again.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2013

We bought this heater and only used it when our children visited. The second time we used it, it kept getting hotter and hotter. We unplugged it and now are afraid to use it. We have been watching for a recall but we haven't seen any yet.

Original review: June 17, 2013

We manage a non-profit retreat center and purchased three of Honeywell's HZ-709 heaters at Home Depot for our staff areas. Initially, one of three did not work, and we returned it for an exchange at Home Depot. Within 12 months, all three electronic thermostats had failed by staying on continuously. Fortunately, we had these units on the lowest of the three heat settings, so we didn't experience the melting components that other reviewers have mentioned; just rooms that had heated up to 90 degrees. When you turn on the heaters, they automatically are set at the highest heat setting, which makes them extremely dangerous.

I have not been able to find any recall information for these heaters, but with a 3-out-of-3 failure rate, there really needs to be a recall or class action suit against Honeywell on this product.

Original review: May 14, 2013

I bought this heater in the middle of last year and used for a few months as an auxiliary to my oil furnace. I used it again this winter. I just turned it back on tonight for the first time in a month and noticed the heater kept getting hotter. I finally unplugged it and found the outlet was black. I then noticed the heater plug was slightly melted. I am so glad I found this before going to bed tonight. I would not recommend this heater to anyone, especially after seeing that there are other complaints of this same thing. I am now concerned about my electrical outlet. There is no recall that I have found.

Original review: April 10, 2013

After a few months of use this heating season on the lowest settings, it proceeded to melt and burn the outlet.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2013

I recently received a Honeywell oil filled radiator type heater as a gift. I used this in my reptile room to keep the temperatures steady at 75 degrees. I did well for a while, until last week, when it for no apparent reason heated the room to over 100 degrees. Inside my reptiles' cages, the temps were over 110 degrees. Due to this, I lost $4,000.00 worth of geckos (that's not counting the amount from the babies the breeders would have produced, counting that over the next few years would be well over $15,000.00). After I unplugged the heater, I found that the plug was slightly melted. Needless to say, I am horribly disappointed in the quality of your product.

I am a very small business and this was a detrimental loss. In response, I contacted your customer support. I was asked to send in the heater and I did. I was then sent a check for $79.99. Apparently, you thought that was an acceptable settlement. I, however, found it insulting. Since I am a small business, this was a tragic loss. I figured I would post this here to see what you and others thought about it. Very disappointed.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2012

The Honeywell HZ-709 Oil-Filled Radiator cord caught on fire and melted the outlet. If we had not been home, the house would have gone up in flames. Do not buy this model!

Original review: Oct. 25, 2012

Last winter, my Honeywell oil heater began to leak. I've only had it less than 2 years. It was set at low and was heating a bathroom over the winter months. I will never buy a Honeywell heater of any type again as I am very fearful of fire.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2012

My Honeywell Oil Heater's (Model hz-709) plug shorted and melted the surge protector. It could have easily burned down the house. No response from the company as of yet.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2012

I had a Honeywell heater which started leaking oil and the cord would get hot. I called Honeywell and spoke to a gentleman in the US. He told me to stop using it immediately and to mail the cord. I did that and they sent me a new heater. It's Black and silver HZ709. After reading about the recalls of other models and also seeing the complaints online from others, I'm now afraid to use it. I think (made in China may be the problem). Honeywell used to have a good name. I won't buy any more of their products.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2012

I woke up to my dog barking and then I smelled the melted cord and socket. I have a Honeywell heater, Model HZ-725. I've had it for 8 months and have used it 15 days. I'm just glad I was home when it overloaded the socket. The house would have burned down if I was out. Also, my family could have died last night. I had to replace the wall socket. I hope Honeywell takes these comments into consideration.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2011

Honeywell oil filled radiator (model HZ-709) started smoking and emitting toxic fumes 5 minutes after being turned on and set to only 72. I called Kaz (the company Honeywell's website directed me to) and told them what had happened. The representative I was speaking to actually yawned and was not surprised at all by the fact that their defective heater could have burned my house down. I informed her that many people online had reported the same problem and asked if the product had been recalled. The representative said that she knew of no problems whatsoever with this model and that it was still being sold at Wal-Mart. The representative also showed no concern whatsoever when I reported that the noxious smoke which came from their heater had given me a severe migraine (and painful cough).

This is unethical and completely unacceptable! This company is well aware of the serious hazard that these heaters pose to the consumer, their families, and their property. But they refuse to rectify the situation. I was told to send the unit back at my expense so they could "see what went wrong". And then, they told that they would send me a "brand new" heater identical to the one that has already caused me pain and respiratory distress, not to mention nearly set my house on fire. This company must be held responsible for their actions and this product must be recalled immediately! Don't buy Chinese-made products, and don't buy Honeywell.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2011

My Honeywell Heater HZ-709 has melted both the heater plug, as well as the wall receptacle. When I plugged the unit in, I noticed that the LED display was not working properly either.

Original review: July 25, 2011

I had a Honeywell Oil Heater hz-709. When plugged, it smelled a funny smell. I went to check the heater and the wall outlet was melted as well as the plug to the heater. It was only on a low temperature. I'm a mom of three and this is right next to my youngest daughter's room.

Thank God, I woke up to do the mom-check on the kids because if I didn't, I wouldn't have smelled the burning smell and we all could be hurt or dead due to fire/smoke.

Original review: May 3, 2011

An hour after I went to bed, I noticed a strong smoke smell. I got up and noticed that the cord for my Honeywell HZ-680 space heater that I turn on at 1/2 power while I slept was on fire. The part of the cord that was connected to the outlet created large sparks and a small fire could be seen. The outlet is completely burned and covered with the plastic that melted off.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2011

I called Honeywell for an adjustment on my thermostat. They insisted that I take it off the wall. I could not get it back on and they then said there was nothing they could do and it was my problem. I had to pay an electrician $175 to put it back on. They should tell customers first that they cannot advise on how to replace a thermostat before insisting that it be removed.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2010

I bought the Honeywell model. Thank you for using the Better Business Bureau's online complaint system (I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and I am filing with Oregon Attorney General. Your complaint has been assigned case number **). Correspondence regarding this complaint will be emailed to **. Please print a copy of this for your records.

This was filed on December 15, 2010. Complaint description: Dangerous Honeywell oil filled heaters should be recalled before someone dies from the toxic fumes and/or fire. I bought a Honeywell oil filled heater - model number is HZ-690. I woke up one morning with a horrible headache and my roommate and I could smell gas fumes. I unplugged the heater immediately and took the unit outside. My home is all electric. I emailed Kaz and had no response after a week and a half. I called Kaz on 12/15/2010.

I talked to a guy named Angel around 10:30 am. He told me to ship the unit back to them and gave me a case number which is **. I told him the heater weighs around 26 pounds. I also told him they need to seriously recall the item as a friend of mine had the same problem. And with the toxic fumes, someone is going to end up hospitalized or even die from the fumes. He didn't seem to care much. They did agree to replace the heater with something else.

My concern is that this type of heater should be recalled due to safety issues, especially families with young children. I did read the manual and it doesn’t stipulate that the heater should not be used when not supervised. I did a search online for reviews on the Honeywell heaters. I found there had been a lot of issues with several units leaking both fumes and the oil. My main concern is the health and well being of families who buy these units to cut down on electric bill as I did. I would like to see something done before someone does get hurt. I feel Kaz doesn't care much about this issue at hand after talking with them. As far as the heater I have, I guess I’m stuck with it because I can’t afford the shipping of $36.00. I paid almost $70.00 for the product. I don’t have the receipt, but my daughter was with me when I purchased it at Wal-Mart. I am also contacting the Oregon Attorney General. The danger of toxic gases is my main concern.

I want this product recalled as it leaks dangerous fumes. It's a health hazard. I would like to have mine replaced with a different product at the company's cost for shipping or the market value in cash or check. The company did not apologize or seem concerned about the product.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2010

I bought this space heater a year ago. The dial melted during use. We bought it from Walmart and they did nothing, as it was a year old, when complaining. We’re still trying to contact Honeywell about this. It could have caused a fire. I also had to buy a new heater for this winter that cost another $45.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2010

I bought a Honeywell HZ2200 heater less than a year ago. It was rarely used. Now it is winter, so I started using it the past few days without any issues until tonight. I turned it on and in less than 10 minutes, I heard my pug barking and when I looked, the heater cord was smoking and melting at the plug. Thanks to my dog, I was able to contain the problem before my 4-year-old and 10-month old suffered injury. But that company needs to do something to make a safe product. I will never buy a Honeywell product again.

Original review: April 16, 2010

Plain and simple! The Honeywell black and silver digital, oil filled, radiator heater will set fire to your home! This heater is only about three months old and it caught fire after about 10 minutes of being turned on low setting. We live in a new and updated home, the outlets are new and safe! It was in my infant son's room at the time and I walked back in to check on him and the room was full of smoke with sparks and flames coming out of the cord and smoke coming from the heater! If I had not had an intuition to check on the baby one more time before he fell asleep, he would have had more smoke damage in his little tiny lungs.

Original review: March 30, 2010

Oil filled heater cord overheated and melted in the outlet. There would have been a fire if I hadn't been home and smelled it.

Original review: March 20, 2010

Space heater was plugged in and after about 10 minutes flames began shooting out of the plug as it was still plugging into the outlet. It burned up the plug and outlet and scorched the surrounding wall. It could have burned the entire house and us! This heater should be recalled! It has only been used one season. An electrician will have to replace the socket and the surrounding wall will need to be repaired.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2010

I bought one of these at the same time as my mother. A few weeks ago, hers got hot and burned up an outlet at her house. Today, mine did the same thing in my house. The heat melted the outlet's plastic cover and burned some plaster before I caught it. Scary stuff with little kids in the house and a million other distractions. Luckily, it smelled bad enough as it burned that I went looking for the cause.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2010

I bought 4 Honeywell HZ 690 oil filled radiator full room heaters at Walmart. I have had 3 of them because the outlet which is rated at 2000 watts melt and catch fire. Yes, I had a small house fire! The cord on one heater actually became molten and melted in two. The heaters have ruined 3 of my electrical outlets. I am not plugging any other appliance into the circuit at the time the heater is being ran. There is no recall on these that I can find. Facts of the case are that the heaters are being used in the manner as described in the owner’s manual; they are not being used in an outlet that is not rated for more wattage than they draw, and they are well cared for, clean and in good condition.

This is dangerous stuff. Kaz's site offers no remedy for this, in fact they state: "Kaz is not liable for incidental or consequential damages of any nature. Any implied warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose on this product is limited in duration to the duration of this warranty." It's almost if they knew it is a defective product or could cause a fire, even if you follow all the instructions perfectly!

This company needs to be sued. They do not offer any other remedy. In fact they seem to try to cover themselves, selling these defective heaters with no regard to the damage they incur. Why not issue a recall and fix the problem? How many homes/lives need to be lost? This is prime for a class action lawsuit. Melting plugs, burned sockets, flames shooting out of your outlet, this is not okay. They need an auto shutoff or some means of protection from fire.

Honeywell Heaters Company Information