Choice Home Warranty vs. HomeServe
Find Home Warranties, Service Plans near you
What is the difference between Choice Home Warranty and HomeServe?
Choice Home Warranty and HomeServe are companies that help homeowners avoid unexpected costs when appliances and systems break down from normal use. Both offer plans with 24/7 claims service and licensed and insured technicians, and each is reviewed well by homeowners. In this article we look at Choice Home Warranty and HomeServe side by side to help you decide which best fits your needs.
|Monthly premium cost||$46.83 to $54.75||$7.99 to $58.33|
|Average cost for combo plan||$54.75 (Total plan)||$58.33 (TotalHome Warranty Combo)|
|Annual premium cost||$532 to $627 (for 13 months)||$95.88 to $699.96|
|Service call fee||$85||$100 on TotalHome Warranty Combo and TotalHome Warranty Appliances|
|Discounts available||Discounts for paying annually; free 13th month||20% off your first year on TotalHome plans|
|$46.83 to $54.75||$54.75 (Total plan)||$532 to $627 (for 13 months)||$85||Discounts for paying annually; free 13th month|
|$7.99 to $58.33||$58.33 (TotalHome Warranty Combo)||$95.88 to $699.96||$100 on TotalHome Warranty Combo and TotalHome Warranty Appliance||20% off your first year on TotalHome plans|
|Plans available||Basic, Total||TotalHome Warranty Appliance Plan, TotalHome Warranty Combo Plan, Premium Home Protection Plan and more|
|Combo plan covered items||16||16|
|Service recall period||30 days for labor; 90 days for parts||Typically one year; surge plans have a 90-day guarantee|
|Availability||48 states||50 states and parts of Canada|
|Basic, Total||8||8||16||30 days for labor; 90 days for parts||48 states|
|TotalHome Warranty Appliance Plan, TotalHome Warranty Combo Plan, Premium Home Protection Plan and more||8||8||16||Typically one year; surge plans have a 90-day guarantee||50 states and parts of Canada|
|Built-in food centers||—||—|
|Instant hot/cold water dispensers||—||—|
|Ranges, ovens and cooktops|
|Garage door openers|
|Roof leak repairs||Add-on||—|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||4.0||4.0|
|Verified customer reviews||Read reviews||Read reviews|
All prices are based on a quote for a house of less than 5,000 square feet in Austin, Texas. All information is accurate as of publishing.
Choice Home Warranty
Choice Home Warranty’s customers include homebuyers, homeowners and home sellers. The company, which has covered over 1 million homes across the U.S., offers two plans, Basic and Total, covering appliances and systems in each. There are also optional add-ons, like for a pool or second refrigerator. Plans are available in all states except California and Washington. You can make a claim 24/7 online or by phone and work with a dedicated team of representatives. Choice Home Warranty contracts have an $85 service call fee, which you pay to the service contractor CHW assigns to your home.
Choice Home Warranty plans
- Basic: The Basic plan covers the following systems and appliances:
- Heating system
- Electrical system
- Plumbing system
- Plumbing stoppage
- Water heater
- Whirlpool bathtub
- Built-in microwave
- Garbage disposal
- Garage door opener
- Ceiling and exhaust fans
- Total: Everything from the Basic plan is included, plus you get coverage for:
- Air conditioning system
- Clothes washer
- Clothes dryer
- Optional add-ons: Extras you can add to your plan include coverage for:
- Central vacuum
- Second refrigerator
- Well pump
- Limited roof leak
- Stand-alone freezer
- Sump pump
- Septic system
- Septic tank pumping
What Choice Home Warranty customers say
There are over 12,000 customer reviews for Choice Home Warranty on ConsumerAffairs, with an average rating of about 4 stars. Customers have lots of positive feedback about the company. Many say the service representatives are knowledgeable and polite. The majority of critical remarks have to do with denied claims, often because of limits in coverage. Overall, most customers are satisfied with Choice Home Warranty’s services.
HomeServe protects more than 4 million homeowners in the U.S. and Canada. Its plans are divided into plumbing, electrical, heating and cooling and combo categories. Representatives are available 24/7 by phone to schedule service, and repairs are backed by a one-year materials and workmanship guarantee. HomeServe plans are available in all states, but coverage and restrictions vary by ZIP code.
- Plumbing: The interior plumbing plan covers repairs and replacements of interior water pipes that burst, clogged drains, leaks in the hot water heater supply pipe and repairs to drain lines. The exterior plumbing plan covers outside pipe issues, like welding, unblocking and repairing seals and joints. The Water Service Line Plan covers lines leading to the home.
- Electrical: HomeServe has interior and exterior electrical plans. The interior plan covers faulty wiring, broken light switches, damaged outlets and more. The exterior plan covers the weatherhead, meter base and other items.
- Heating and cooling: HomeServe offers a plan for heating systems, a plan for cooling systems and a combo plan.
- Combo plans: The TotalHome Warranty Appliance Plan covers eight appliances, including built-in microwaves, refrigerators, dishwashers, stovetops and ovens, washers and dryers, garage door openers and trash compactors. The Premium Home Protection Plan covers nine home systems, including heating and cooling, electrical, plumbing, the gas line, the exterior sewer and septic line, the exterior water service line and the water heater. The TotalHome Warranty Combo Plan covers eight appliances and 10 systems.
What HomeServe customers say
HomeServe has over 450 reviews on ConsumerAffairs, with an average rating of 4 stars. Customers like that representatives are quick to answer questions and knowledgeable. They also say HomeServe is easy to deal with. Customer criticisms mention coverage limits and some miscommunication issues.
Bottom line: Choice Home Warranty or HomeServe?
Choice Home Warranty and HomeServe each help homeowners protect essential household systems and appliances. Choice Home Warranty has two broad plans, while HomeServe’s plans are more specialized, with lower starting costs. Both providers let you file a claim 24/7 and set up service with a local, licensed contractor. HomeServe guarantees repairs for a longer period than CHW.
- Choice Home Warranty is best for homeowners who prefer straightforward coverage for both appliances and systems and the option to add on additional protections.
- HomeServe is best for homeowners who want coverage specifically for plumbing, electrical, or heating and cooling systems.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.