Choice Home Warranty vs. American Residential Warranty
What is the difference between Choice Home Warranty and American Residential Warranty?
Home repairs can become expensive fast, but a home warranty can help cover the costs. Finding the right coverage at the right price can be overwhelming, though. So, to help make your choice easier, we’re comparing Choice Home Warranty and American Residential Warranty side by side.
|Monthly premium cost||$46.83 to $54.75||$34.99 to $124.99|
|Average cost for combo plan||$54.75 (Total plan)||$60|
|Annual premium cost||$532 to $627 (for 13 months)||$394.88 to $1424.99|
|Service call fee||$85||$55|
|Discounts available||Discounts for paying annually; free 13th month||Discounts for paying annually or quarterly|
|$46.83 to $54.75||$54.75 (Total plan)||$532 to $627 (for 13 months)||$85||Discounts for paying annually; free 13th month|
|$34.99 to $124.99||$60||$394.88 to $1424.99||$55||Discounts for paying annually or quarterly|
|Plans available||Basic, Total||Heating & Cooling, Kitchen Plus, Platinum, Platinum Premier, Ultimate Electronics Protection, 3-in-1 Bundle, 4-in-1 Bundle|
|Combo plan covered items||16||16|
|Service recall period||30 days for labor; 90 days for parts||30 days for labor; 60 days for parts|
|Availability||48 states||50 states|
|Basic, Total||8||8||16||30 days for labor; 90 days for parts||48 states|
|Heating & Cooling, Kitchen Plus, Platinum, Platinum Premier, Ultimate Electronics Protection, 3-in-1 Bundle, 4-in-1 Bundle||8||8||16||30 days for labor; 60 days for parts||50 states|
|Built-in food centers||—||—|
|Instant hot/cold water dispensers||—||—|
|Ranges, ovens and cooktops|
|Garage door openers|
|Roof leak repairs||Add-on||—|
|Stand-alone freezer||Add-on||Not listed|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||4.0||4.3|
|Verified customer reviews||Read reviews||Read reviews|
All prices are based on a quote for a house of less than 5,000 square feet in Austin, Texas. All information is accurate as of publishing.
Choice Home Warranty
Choice Home Warranty covers homes regardless of their age, and it prescreens the local technicians it hires for repairs. Coverage is available in every state except California and Washington.
Choice Home Warranty plans
- Basic Plan: The Basic Plan is Choice Home Warranty’s least expensive option. Coverage includes heating systems, electrical systems, plumbing systems, plumbing stoppages, whirlpool bathtubs, water heaters, cooktops, ovens, ranges, stoves, dishwashers, garbage disposals, built-in microwaves, ductwork, garage door openers, and ceiling and exhaust fans.
- Total Plan: The Total Plan covers everything listed in the Basic plan, plus air conditioning systems, refrigerators and dryers.
- Optional coverage: Add-ons are available for pools, spas, well pumps, sump pumps, central vacuums, limited roof leaks, septic systems, second refrigerators, stand-alone freezers and septic tank pumping.
What Choice Home Warranty customers say
Overall, customers seem satisfied with Choice Home Warranty, based on ConsumerAffairs reviews. Many say the claims process is quick and the technicians are professional and knowledgeable. However, some are disappointed with their claims being denied and feel like the company is not upfront with coverage and fees.
American Residential Warranty
American Residential Warranty offers several options for home warranty plans, including a relatively unique electronics warranty. You can choose an individual plan or one of its bundle options that combine its other plans.
American Residential Warranty plans
- Kitchen Plus: The Kitchen Plus plan focuses mostly on kitchen appliances. It covers built-in microwaves, dishwashers, garbage disposals, interior electrical systems, kitchen exhaust fans, ranges, ovens, cooktops, refrigerators (not including ice makers) and water heaters. Pricing is $34.99 per month.
- Heating and Cooling: The Heating and Cooling package includes coverage for central heating, central air conditioning, humidifiers and interior electrical systems. It costs $39.99 per month.
- Platinum: Platinum coverage includes built-in microwaves, central home heating, central air conditioning, dishwashers, garbage disposal, humidifiers, interior electrical systems, kitchen exhaust fans, ranges, ovens, cooktops, refrigerators (not including ice makers) and water heaters. The Platinum plan is $49.99 per month.
- Platinum Premier: Platinum Premier is ARW’s most comprehensive and popular plan. It includes coverage for ceiling fans, built-in microwaves, central air conditioning, central home heating, ductwork, dishwashers, garage door openers, garbage disposals, humidifiers, interior electrical systems, exhaust fans, plumbing stoppages, plumbing systems, ranges, ovens, cooktops, range hoods, refrigerator (including ice makers) and water heaters. Platinum Premier costs $59.99 per month.
- Ultimate Electronics Protection: The Ultimate Electronics Protection plan covers desktops, laptops, tablets, gaming consoles, hand-held gaming devices, routers, printers, DVD and Blu-ray players, external hard drives, flat-screen TVs, home theater systems and tech support. This plan costs $24.99 per month.
- 3-in-1 Bundle: The 3-in-1 Bundle includes everything covered by the Platinum Premier and Ultimate Electronics Protection plans plus what ARW calls the Deluxe Advantage package. Deluxe Advantage covers things like air conditioning refrigerant and coils, plumbing faucets and fixtures, improper installations, mismatched systems, garage door springs/tracks and refrigerant recapture. This bundle costs $109.99 per month.
- 4-in-1 Bundle: The 4-in-1 Bundle includes the Platinum Premier plan, the Ultimate Electronics Protection plan, the Deluxe Advantage package, and coverage for sewer and water lines. This bundle is $124.99 per month.
What American Residential Warranty customers say
Customers seem happy with American Residential Warranty. However, there are reviews that mention the company is hard to get hold of and doesn’t act quickly. Customers have said once they get in contact with the right representative, their experience is professional and very helpful, though. Representatives have been called personable, patient and courteous.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.