Nintendo

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

After being a lifelong diehard Nintendo fan for the last almost thirty years, I regretfully have decided I won't be buying another Nintendo console until they address the countless issues facing their company over the last few years. I have owned every major console Nintendo has put out, have always had perfect experiences and the consoles themselves have maintained playability and reliability for years, almost never having issues. Most are still useable today. However, this has changed with the WiiU. I've never had a more dissatisfactory experience with ANY electronic product I've ever bought. Ever. I bought my console brand new, it was not a refurbished console, nor was it one of the first released consoles that hadn't had its kinks worked out. I bought it several years after the initial launch of the WiiU, specifically because I was so wary after reading other reviews, which I know realize are correct. The console is a failure.

The graphics are slightly updated. That is the only improvement in comparison to the original (and worthwhile) Wii. Other than that, the console freezes CONSTANTLY and has to be manually shut down, has CONSTANT issues staying connected to the Internet (Nintendo will claim the issue is with your router despite being aware of thousands of complaints about the same issue. It is not our routers. The issue is within the WiiU). The gamepad functionality is tenuous at best. Many times I find I have to "mash" buttons multiple times to get the character to actually execute a command. Games like Twilight Princess you are forced to use the gamepad or the XBox ripoff controller to play and are not allowed to use the Wii Remote (which makes certain games far more engaging and the control is just better overall) anymore. The only actual new game they've released for the WiiU that I am even interested in is Hyrule Warriors.

The older Zelda titles are just rehashed and the experience isn't improved (they were already perfect, altering things did nothing), in fact TP and WW now have small issues that make the gameplay a bit annoying, such as the mechanics for Epona which were supposedly corrected but in fact just made worse. And of course, it's certainly not worth the $400 price tag (which has never dropped or fluctuated after years, when Sony and Microsoft both dropped prices on their respective consoles, both of which are far more powerful machines and more popular in the gaming world because of exactly that) after years of being on the market and Nintendo never fixing the countless issues with the WiiU they know are there even in the face of potential company failure.

When I have to get up to walk over and restart the machine four or five times over the course of a day that I am using it intermittently, it just makes the entire purchase worthless. More of an aggravation than anything. And when Nintendo basically comes out and says they don't care about the customer's opinion and refuse to change things for the better even to save their own skin, it shows they don't give a ** about much of anything.

No one is demanding call of duty style gaming on Nintendo but what we do want is an experience worth the $400 price tag (plus $50-60 a game of course, but that is standard as all gamers know) tacked onto the console. The WiiU is the worst mistake Nintendo has ever made. If the NX doesn't blow every console they've ever released out of the water (and from what I've read so far, there is little difference once again between this generation and the next console) then Nintendo will most likely be teetering on the edge of collapse in a short time. The only reason why I even touch this abomination is for Zelda. And the longer I use this horrid console the more I dislike Nintendo.

In the last year my son's brand new New Nintendo 3DS XL has stopped working. The first time I sent it for repair Nintendo said it was my son's fault. I had it repaired for the amount of around $100. I am not sure what the issue was so I didn't feel I could dispute it. Last week it just would not turn on so as it was supposedly under warranty I again sent it in. Today I got an e-mail saying it was not a manufacturing defect, that it had "spillage". I know for a fact nothing and I mean nothing was ever spilled on it. My son took excellent care of the system. So once again I am on the hook for $100 repair. I am disgusted especially since Nintendo boasts the best warranty in the business. Really? Searching the internet I found so many incidents of "the black screen of death". So now I have paid double for the system and who knows? Will it work in a month or two? I tend to doubt it.

I used to have a Wii Console years before and I really enjoyed playing the different games that are available to Wii. The best part about wii is that you will be moving while playing. Unlike other game consoles, Wii lets you get up and sweat. This is healthy for kids and adults because you get to have your exercise while playing at the same time. I just got busy with work so I had no time to upgrade it to the latest version so that I can buy and play the newest games available.

Recently, we were in Japan and my husband was intending to buy the new 3DS there but we were faced with bad luck because all the 3DS available in Osaka are all in Japanese. They don't have the English version. My husband was definitely saddened by it but once we got home, we went to the nearest mall and purchased one. It could've been cheaper when you buy it in Japan but what's the use of it when you can't play it because all the instructions/settings are in Japanese? But going back to the new 3DS, it is absolutely an enjoyable gadget to have. The 3d effect is so cool. It may take a bit of time to get used to it but once you've played enough, you will definitely get the hang of it. My husband and I splurged on the games and bought a handful because we really liked playing with the 3DS. The only thing is, the games are quite expensive and I hope will cost lower in time.

I have to admit that up until about two years ago, the last Nintendo system that I've played was the Super Nintendo Entertainment System or SNES, which would be at least 20 years ago. I had a blast with the SNES, having played so many memorable games like Legend of Zelda, Starfox, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 3, and many others. But then I moved on to the PlayStation console, and I grew up and I just kinda drifted away from Nintendo.

Then two years ago, I decided to give my girlfriend a second-hand Nintendo DS XL since she has always mentioned that she was a die-hard LoZ fan. Now neither of us can put it down since we've become so addicted to it. The list of awesome games is endless: Pokemon, Legend of Zelda, Mario Kart, Phoenix Wright, Harvest Moon, Final Fantasy, Professor Layton, Castlevania...endless. We've had plenty of sleepless nights because of this fantastic console, and we look forward to spending many more hours playing.

I'm glad that I'm able to share this experience of feeling like a kid again with my girlfriend, and it's all thanks to Nintendo. Thanks for making such awesome gaming consoles and games. We're both saving up so that we can buy a Nintendo 3DS soon because we're both dying to play the next generation of Nintendo games. Kudos to Nintendo for making games that are not only fun, but also bring people together in a very positive way. Now if you'll excuse me, I have to go train my Pokemon so that we can conquer the Pokemon League and become champion.

I purchased the game first from EB games and I have problems to connect online. Nintendo support could not help, therefore I decided to return the game. EB games offered to exchanged for another, so I did Disney Infinity for PS4. I purchased "Splatoon" online this time since my 6-year-old boy wanted for his B-Day. Since then I had problem after problem not able to connect with other users. I'm very upset since Nintendo are blaming the internet provider or the router for it. They are not able to fix the problem, neither want to refund my money $79.99. Stay away from Wii U games.

Nintendo has very bad customer service. A support person named Michelle suggested that I should not buy video games for my kids. She said her 3-year-old daughter does not have any and if her daughter knew how to use a touch screen at 6-year-old she was doing something wrong. I said she should resolve the issue not judging people! Nintendo should revise who is working for them! If all the support people provide that kind of comments, the company will go down the drain! I only want my money back for the game that does not work "Splatoon"!!! Transaction ID **, serial number **, QST No **. I used e-mail ** to purchase.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nintendo?

This has been an exasperate experience for me. I got my Wii U last November because of the new Super Smash Bro. I had both Wii and GameCube before, but wasn't too into any of the Wii U games until Hyrule Warrior and Smash Bro. June of this this year (8 month after I got my Wii U), I couldn't turn on the Wii U console for some reason. There was no red light. Naturally, I send it to repair, and that's when my nightmare begins. By the way, the Wii U console was never touched. It stands on the middle shelf of the TV stand, and I have no pet. I haven't touch my Wii U console (nor do I have reason to) so I highly doubt that I did something to break it (and I live alone with no roommate so I'm 100% sure it died on its own). So I submitted a repair order to Nintendo, and the shipping was going to Purolator. I send it over on Wednesday, and I got a notice on Friday that the Nintendo received it.

A couple hours later, I got another email, saying that it was done and sent back to me already. What I thought was a pleasant surprise turned out to be a nightmare. I received, a BRAND, NEW, Wii U console. They charged me $122.08 (on top of another $7.85 for shipping) for the repair fee but decided to send me a brand new console because they figured that the old one was not repairable. They didn't import my save, so I lost hundreds of hours on my Super Mario world, Hyrule Warrior, Monster Hunter and more (collectively over 500-800 hours). I highly doubt that the entire console was dead. I'm pretty sure that only the processor died. They could have at least get the hard drive out and import the save data, but I guess that was too much work for them. After all, it's easier to tick off the "no data transfer" box on the repair slip than it is to actually take the hard drive out and replace it on the new Wii U.

Surely this was all bad, and I thought my nightmare was over after getting work off early, spend almost $130 on repair, and lose all my progress, there was a cherry on top. I tried to setup my Nintendo Network ID on my new Wii U, but it says that I've already got a console linked to this network ID. I looked online and realized that, one network ID can only link to one console. As naive as I was, I thought there's a way to manage devices and consoles like how you can manage your devices with Apple ID. I thought I could just log-in some online portal, delink the current Wii U console and be done with it. WRONG. You want to delink your Wii U account? Send a customer support ticket, and they have to talk to you directly. The contact form on the website does absolutely nothing but tells you to call them. I've already spend way too much time and money to get my Wii console back to a subpar state (no save).

I purchased a "new" 3DS and have had nothing but problems with it. In the middle of gameplay my unit would interrupt me with a error saying the game card had been removed from the unit. I've sent the system in three times and the issue has yet to be resolved. I spoke with a manager who told me they never experienced a problem like this before. He then told me if this last repair session failed that this would be the last time they would attempt to repair the unit and that they did all they could. Apparently, they didn't do all they could.The 3DS is brand new and the warranty is still good for eight months. So, Nintendo doesn't want to honor their product, despite the fact this problem is their fault. It's even more baffling that their repair team can't fix the issue or just isn't spending enough time with the unit to properly diagnose the problem. Terrible communication and customer service.

I sent my Wii U for repairs when it stopped working after only 3 months. I got a call back requesting $50 as they opened it up and there was a SPIDER in the unit which caused the unit to stop working. I did not admit to it as it was always packed in its box when not in use. I have other appliances around for years and nothing happens to them exposing to the room environment. A woman that was so rude to me was trying to make me admit that there could have been a spider in there as I am sure the call was recorded. Never will I buy Nintendo again. Their customer service is shocking. Beware and avoid buying Nintendo. It's not the first product I'm having issues with but my last! When money is priority, you lose Nintendo!

My son's 3DS XL wouldn't power on after 2 months of purchasing the item. He didn't even play with it that long because he was on restriction from it for 2 weeks. I called Nintendo and sent it in for repair. They email me back with a $65 plus tax & shipping rate to fix the console. They said it wasn't covered under warranty because it was "abused". I called the Nintendo repair phone number to complain - that was not the case. They claimed that the socket to plug into electrical outlet was loose which was affecting it being powered on, so it wasn't covered under warranty. They said my son must have been rough with unplugging the console. I told them that my son barely played with it and he has taken care not to handle it roughly.

Anyways, after getting transferred to a manager, I complained that the product must be defective and that I had just spent over $300 for that console & mentioned I have spent a lot of money on other Nintendo products (Original Nintendo, Gameboys, Wii, etc). She lowered the cost of the repair at $30 and told me that if it had same or another issue, they would just replace it since it just might be a defective product.

Fast forward almost a year later (February 2014), the 3DS touch screen just stopped working in the middle of a game. Sent it in for repair again and received same pricing. They claimed that the console has liquid damage which is BS because my son did not spill anything on it. I truly believe Nintendo will say it's some other damage that isn't covered under warranty. They claim that their products is covered under warranty, but in actuality, they will claim some other issue like abuse to not have to honor their warranty! After getting this product fixed the 2nd time, if it doesn't work again, I am certainly not replacing in anymore Nintendo consoles.

STAY AWAY from their products! I've read lots of complaints of the 3DS or similar products of having same type of issues like not being able to power on, or touch screen stopped working, or the control buttons not working, or game freezing.

I purchased Wii with the thoughts of streaming Netflix. After calls and emails, all I get is that Shop Channel is not available in the Virgin Islands. First, we are part of the US and secondly, it says nowhere on the box or in any of the available info books that we cannot get this channel. Without it, we cannot stream movies. I believe this is a scam.

I purchased a Wii batter charging station from Target stores in December 2008. This is a 2 dock not the 4 dock that has been reported as being recalled. After 5 months of use the station stopped charging/working. I began making calls to Griffin/Psyclone's 800 number in June 2009, leaving a message per the instructions every time (approx 4 calls) trying to find out how to obtain a replacement or have warranty work performed. I left messages and received only 1 returned call from a man who left me a message to call them. They don't answer the phone when you call you have to leave a message and hope to catch their call, if they call back.

I continued leaving messages asking for a return call. On July 28 a man in customer service called me after I left a pleading message. He gave me instructions to fax a copy of the purchase receipt with model number to. He said it would be looked into and return instructions would follow. I faxed the info the next day. Three weeks later I began calling again to find out the status - there were no return phone calls. I sent an email to the customer service email address in August and received a response 3 days later that they would honor the warranty. I was to ship the station with all parts to the Minneapolis address I provided here. I shipped the package that week.

One month later, Sept 24, I sent an email asking for an update as I had not heard anything. A reply came the next day "sorry for the delay, a shipment is expected to arrive to them on 10/05 and they will ship them out after that day to customers. 10/19 I emailed asking for an update on the shipment or a refund. A response came the same day that "Our warehouse mass shipped the entire backlog on Friday, so your replacement should arrive sometime late this week." October 30 I emailed again asking for an update as I still do not have the replacement. I received response November 2 " apologize for the delay. You should have received a replacement by now. What is your full physical address? Ill follow up with our warehouse manager." I haven't heard anything more.

I purchased a Nintendo DS Lite. 10 month later (Within the 1 year warranty period), the speaker stopped working. When I contacted Nintendo, they would not cover it because they stated that this problem is not covered under warranty. The game unit has never been dropped nor thrown so Nintendo should cover the repair under it's warranty.

When I asked to speak to a supervisor, Charles, the support engineer refused this request. When I asked for Charles's last name or employee ID number, he refused this information also. I told him I needed this information to file a complaint. Charles stated that it would be fixed for $65.85. I should not have to pay anything to fix this unit since it is covered under the warranty.

My sister in law and her family went on a vacation to America and were nice enough to visit Toys R Us in New York and purchased my 5 and 10 year old kids 3 Wii games,(My Sims,Bee Movie Game and Mario & Sonic at the Olympic Games).To everyones,mainly my kids horror the Wii games are only compatable for use in Usa,Canada,Mexico and Latin America.My kids have saved for 7 months to purchase the Wii Console and have to save so hard to afford the games. We had given my sister in law some money to see what and if she could purchase any games there a little cheaper and to all our delight they could .

Now we are left with not only very upset children but 3 games that we are unable to play. What can we do,who do we contact,know one is going travelling back to America that we know. Pleassssssse Help. Kinds Regards

Loss of precious saved dollars. Upset kids. Upset parents. Games that we can't do anything with. My neice and newphew that purchased the games are 15 and 17. Who would think , not even ourselves obviosly that all Wii's are the same. We are aware that our voltage is different and our electricity sockets are different,but who once again would think that the console and disk would be different,and how. You can purchase a CD or DVD and it works,why not this blasted WII.

When the Nintendo WII became available for presale on 10/3/06, I went to the store and paid in full for the game console. I was told that I would be able to come back to the store on 11/19/06 to pick up my order. On 11/19/06 I went to the store at 2pm. I was told that there was a line to get into the store but that line was now closed.

I explained to the doorman that I was only there to pick up the merchandise I had already paid for. Several managers came out to explain to me that they could not accommodate me and would not allow me into the store. I was told that I would have to come back on 11/20/06 to pick up the item which they promised to provide me on 11/19/06. I then proceeded to ask for my money back. They refused. They said that I would have to come back on 11/20/06 for a refund. At the same time, they were allowing people on line who had not pre-ordered anything, to come into their store and purchase the WII.

Aside from the time that both unfruitful trips to the store took, they already kept my money for over 6 weeks already. There were several other people outside of the store in the same position I was in. One of them was so upset that he threw a potted plant at the store. I believe the management decisions of this store is creating a mob environment. The store scams on customers because they do not allow people to pick up merchandise that has already been paid for, while at the same time, they accommodate new customers to gain additional income.

After buying a nintendo gamecube the enclosed documentation urges you to join there online club to register your product with the promise of free gifts and treasures. Once you register your product you then earn stars for buying certain games recommended by the site wich you can then exchange for free items the top being 6000 stars for a gameboy advance.

YOU GET 250 STARS FOR EACH RECOMMENDED GAME. As I own a gamecube and purchased several games its come to my notice that to fully play certain games you have to also buy a gameboy advance to access some of the levels and a lead to enable you to plug the gameboy advance into the game cube this all adds up to an extra 99.98 just to allow you to be able to play the gamecube and games.So i decided to buy the recommended games to save for the gameboy advance so i can play the gamecube and games.

The proplem is after saving nearly 1500 stars i can no longer access the site.I have read all the recomendations for accessing the site and i have set my prowser to such a low security but still i cannot get to my stars..I have used there e.mail link and complained 3 times over the past 6 weeks but they dont even aknowledge me.

I feel conned after buying the gamecube at 149.00 and extra 40.00 for one game only to find i cant even play them fully unless i spend an extra 99.98 on a gameboy advance and connecting lead and then after buying games there site recommends to enable me to get a gameboy advance free only to find the site is useless and no replys to my quieries and complaints.

Nintendo Company Profile