2.12/5
Based on 165 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

168 Dairy Queen Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I enjoy the clean atmosphere of the renovated restaurants in my area, but service can be a little sketchy. Recently the clerk had trouble making change for a $20 bill, and sometimes my Blizzard is melting over the edge of the cup although it doesn't fall out when held upside-down. Actually I don't need to see that. I know it is thick.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

It's a great place to eat. They have a lot of different Stuff. Help is friendly and helpful and they treat you Good. Place is clean, restroom have toilet paper and Drive thru is fast and prices aren't too high for what you get. You can take the whole family out for dinner. Not a lot in change so go get ice cream, hamburger, drinks, fries, they have it. I love this restaurant. So take the kids they will love it or go through Drive Thru and take some home after a long day of work. Make you take pets home some.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Dairy Queen in Belleville, IL. is excellent! Great service and the staff are always pleasant! The food is excellent and served quickly. Dairy Queen is always clean and well maintained. Always a pleasant experience!

Original review: Sept. 16, 2017

We visited a local DQ store for dinner and was excited to see that the Pumpkin Pie Blizzard is back. I don't know how very long it has been since I purchased one of DQ's "pie" flavor Blizzards, but I remember enjoying just about any Blizzard flavor I have tried. Whereas I have had disappointing experiences with some of their other menu items, not so with the Blizzard treat -- until today.

The Pumpkin Pie Blizzard I received tasted terrible! It tasted like ordinary vanilla laced with a little nutmeg and overly crunchy (about to the point of being stale) shortbread cookie pieces mixed in. If there were any real pumpkin pie pieces in that Blizzard, I didn't find them! That Blizzard tasted so bad that when the server brought our meals, I asked him about the Blizzard and what was in it, having mentioned that I didn't find any pie pieces in it. He explained that they use "pie filling," but didn't address my dissatisfaction nor the fact that even if there was pie filling in that thing, it could barely be tasted!

I don't want to complain about the kid who was clueless when it came to customer service. There's just so much ignorance among people working in the service sector these days that customers can rarely escape such inexcusable treatment. However, I do mean to complain about DQ's rather deceptive advertising of the Pumpkin Pie Blizzard! Or, could it be that the local franchisee is falsely "interpreting" the Pumpkin Pie Blizzard recipe in a way that isn't sanctioned by DQ corporate? Either way, what I received didn't measure up!

Updated on 09/22/2017: Whenever I have a disappointing experience with a company's product or service, I try to do the right thing and alert them to the situation in a kind and considerate way -- just as I did by sending information to Dairy Queen via their website electronic mail. I wrote to let them know that I purchased a Blizzard treat that tasted terrible and I had concern that advertising for the item could be perceived as being deceptive. I did receive an e-mail reply as anticipated, but it was a typical form letter that really didn't address the specifics of the concern.

So, I telephoned corporate headquarters to make an inquiry. The customer service rep didn't seem to be as familiar with DQ products and advertising / promotions as one might expect for someone working in their "fan relations" department. She couldn't answer the question about corporate policy for how exactly a Blizzard treat is supposed to be prepared. She didn't seem to be aware of current advertising for the Pumpkin Pie Blizzard. Because it seemed so odd that she should seem so out-of-touch with DQ's product line, I asked where she was located. She said that she was "in Canada." That, too was a bit odd, because I dialed the Minneapolis phone number and not the number for Ontario, nor the general toll free number.

Given the pattern of her speech, I thought maybe I could be talking with a representative based outside North America. She very politely communicated that she was only able to forward messages to other people at Dairy Queen who could call back. In other words, her role is not to serve as a "fan relations specialist" but merely to work as an agent for an answering service.

Yet according to Dairy Queen International's "Contact Us" web page, here is what they claim their "fan relations" operators can do: "They can answer any questions you may have..." Based on my experience, that statement is NOT TRUE. Just like it appears that DQ's advertising claim to have real "pumpkin pie pieces" in the Pumpkin Pie Blizzard treat is NOT TRUE. Making false claims to customers is wholly inappropriate!!!

And as we know, there are even laws against that kind of behavior! I can accept that life is not perfect and any business can encounter situations beyond their normal control that will displease or upset a customer. However, there is no excuse for bending, twisting or otherwise mangling the truth in order to gain market share. I'll gladly accept mistakes and imperfection when I know that intentional deception is not involved. But when deception is intentional and appears to have been part of the marketing plan... that's when it's time to take my business elsewhere.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Small town service with large town choices. The selections are varied, quality excellent and their participation in area charity events with BOGO blizzards and free cones is much appreciated.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dairy Queen?

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I recently tried their $5 burger lunch which was surprisingly good. The cheeseburger was basic, but pretty tasty and the fries were very good. The Blizzards are good as well as the coffee drinks.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2017

I love their $5 lunches! I'm a sucker for soft serve, but only good soft serve. You pair that with a sandwich, french fries, and a drink; you can't beat it.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

The DQ on Emerald Isle in Emerald Isle, NC is run very good. Food is always good and the ice cream cakes are awesome. The owner is always in the store and waits on people in line and makes sure not just the customer is taken care of but his employees are treated very courteously.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2017

Seems a little pricey on some items compared to others. Otherwise all is fine based on the Cynthiana store. I have noticed that Georgetown Banana sundaes are not as good. All clean and do a good job.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

Dairy Queen has a consistently tasty, quality menu that I enjoy but they are not always so great when it comes to service. The managers quite often schedule too few employees to provide truly excellent service.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I think the restaurant is a very good place to take your family and have a wonderful night together. The menu has something for everyone! I had a wonderful time with my family and I would go again.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

DQ has okay food that could be much better if they would just serve it hot. I have gotten cold /lukewarm food there numerous times. The ice cream is the best, so I love to go there for cones and Blizzards.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

They can reduce prices on certain products, ice cream, etc and make better fries and no more foam cups. I like paper cups. They don't leak or break easy like others.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I purchased a large ice cream cone at the Campbellsville, KY Dairy Queen, the price was 2.79, I know of at least 3 other Dairy Queen locations in the area that the cost of a large cone is 1.99. Why are they charging .80 cents more for the same product? Aren't chain stores supposed to have the same pricing? I will not visit this store again or recommend it to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

There is a Dairy Queen close to our house, we go there often. I do get coupons often for a Blizzard, buy one get one free, the hardest decision is which one to choose. We go there often for their value meals that are either $5 or $6, that does include a small blizzard or sundae... So glad there is one close by us, where we used to live we never went since it was on the other end of town.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

Terrible experience. Manager was non-sympathetic and didn't care to rectify the problem. Left with a Blizzard that contained hair in the cup. Quite a bit/not just one strand. It was horrible and made me sick to think I started to eat some of the ice cream from this cup. Called them as soon as I got home to complain and the employee said she would take down my name and give it to the manager. When I went back to the store it was even more embarrassing because just because they couldn't find my name in the log book for calling to report it, they acted like I was just trying to get a free Blizzard... Really, I would drive 15 minutes one way to do this? This was unsanitary and I would have liked to complain to the health dept, but not being from the area, I had no idea who covered this.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

Extensive menu and I am partial to their cones and sundaes - sometimes I will get a burger and those are good too. Also their drive-thru seems pretty quick and one recently opened up near me.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2017

I have not been to a DQ in years, was traveling and thought to give it a try. What a disappointment. I ordered the grilled chicken sandwich. It came with a large bun, a scrap of meat and barely a smear of lettuce or tomato. It nearly $5 and not worth half that. I highly Do Not recommend! Truly disappointed!

Original review: Aug. 26, 2017

I would like to commend Ashley ** at the Kaufman Dairy Queen. While visiting, I watched her take on several different tasks (that in my opinion would have been stressful), and did so with patience and exemplary manner. She was pleasant and hard working. We will return. Kudos kid!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2017

Need to come down on prices and be a little more polite to customers. And make sure when they ask for condiments that they actually get them. And also, clean the place up a little more.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

It always depends on who I get to help me. It’s mostly young kids so the one I go to isn't as neat and clean as it used to be but I go for Blizzards or the coffee drinks and would like to eat there but sometimes I can't find a clean table.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

My family & I decided to go to DQ for banana splits. We were kind of split as to what location to go to. Some of us wanted to dine in others not. After making those decision off we went. We were greeted, our order made quickly with correct specifications. The store & lobby were both very clean. We will go there for our dessert again.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

Food is always fresh. Customer service is great. Wait time is minimal. Also the prices and selections are wonderful. Restaurant and washrooms are always spotless.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

Turning the cup upside down is the craziest thing I ever heard. The only reason you are turning the cup upside down is because you used to put extra toppings on top. I'm sure you put that extra toppings in the next cup of a blizzard, I'm sure this saves the company money. But every time I see that commercial I can't help but think, who are they trying to kid. Does Dairy Queen really think we're that gullible? Please put the toppings back on top again where they belong.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2017

Didn't order food but the Blizzards were awesome. Ordered a med and a large. Expensive but worth it. Restaurant in Concord only open 1 month and was packed.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

We don't generally eat at fast food chains, but stopped at one of these and were pleasantly surprised overall. We ordered very inexpensive combo meals and they weren't bad.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

They're simply the best burgers, chicken fingers, fries and ice cream! Always hot and fresh and get the order right. Always have new and tasty blizzard flavours too. Close to home which may be a bad thing!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

We absolutely love DQ and their blizzard! We travel a lot from NY to Colorado and always stop at DQ for their 5.00 lunch special. Never disappointed. Our daughter lives in Pittsburgh and we can only find one DQ. Why?

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Really fast food! Good chicken fingers and tacos. Lifesaver when you're hungry and don't want to cook. Also, great ice cream cones for a quick pick-me-up.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

I was very impressed with the motivation and work ethic of the team at the store in Joliet Illinois, on Essington. I visited the store on 8/13/17, at 8:00 pm and noticed how well the team worked together. Everyone was focused on what needed to be done. At no time did I see someone just going thru the motions or slacking. The manager there should be recommended for creating a good work ethic.

Dairy Queen Company Information