3.56/5

San Antonio, TX

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

474 USAA Banking Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 19, 2019

USAA is a great company in general in light of the fact that it deals with the military, and has a lot to offer as far as a variety of services. Mortgages, on the other hand, are relatively new, and since they deal with the VA, it adds another layer of communication necessities. Sometimes it is hard for the right to know what the left is doing, and because of that, the customer, is left out in the cold as far as what is going on. As they continue to work with these mortgages, I am confident they will do better.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Used USAA more than 30 years. Pleased with banking, insurance, credit cards, bereavement services, brokerage, fraud handling, etc. Their customer service has always been helpful and resolved whatever issue I have had and always asks if there is anything else with which they can help me. Our only bad experience was with a mortgage refinancing application. It seemed every time I was close to finishing the application, there would be more documents to gather. We couldn't finish the application in the allotted time and had to pay for an extension. I complained to one of the reps about the "run around" I was getting and she apologized and finally explained they were getting handed thousands of new regulations from the Obama administration each month and couldn't keep up with the constant changes. We got all the issues resolved during the extended period and have been pleased with the loan maintenance service since.

When my (retired military) father in law passed away, who was also a long term USAA member, I called USAA on behalf of his wife. Every rep was sensitive and respectful. They transferred me to their bereavement department where we were walked through the issues with his accounts. As it turned out, he had $10k in an account we didn't even know about that helped his wife tremendously during the transition. The account was one they kept in his name that he had never contributed to and may have not even known about, but money was placed there each year by USAA for his loyalty to the company and service to his nation. I don't know why any service member would not use USAA. We love this company even as military dependents. We plan to live and die with USAA!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Well I been with USAA for 3 years now. I have 3 checking account over the years. I also have saving account with them. Well a few place back in Hawaii was hacked and I used my debit card there. So called them and told them what happen. Well they blocked the card. In case of any fraudulent happen they couldn’t use my card. They are always asking, "Is there anything else I can help you with."

So last night I went to an atm to withdraw some money. This atm took my damn debit card. Which that was my only debit card since I don’t need 3 different bank cards. So I called USAA and they canceled my card just in case of fraudulent happen. Then they apologized for that happening. To find out that the bank I went to would shreds my only bank card. So USAA say they would order me a new card. Well they even did checkbook. So I could have some money until I got my new card. I didn’t know anyone that had USAA since it's a military bank. The lady I talked to ask me do I know anyone. I was like no but Well after all that I realize that my friend has USAA too which it helped a lot so I could get cash, well he explain everything they transfer money to his account so I could have cash on me until my new bank card. I love banking with them. Thank you for always taking the extra step.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have looked at other reviews for USAA and I am really bummed that they did not have positive experiences. My husband is a vet and we signed up for USAA in 2011. Initially we just had vehicle insurance (the best price in our area by far) and then started using them for banking and homeowner’s insurance. The customer service has always been fantastic, even when I am pretty grouchy with them. Our homeowner's insurance is $44 a month...FAR lower than any quotes we had been given, and our vehicle insurance is fantastic, had to use roadside assistance many, many times and they have been fantastic!! We were stuck on a remote logging road and they were able to get a tow truck up there and out truck out, at 2am! I recently got rear ended and my adjuster has been amazing and helping me deal with the other insurance who are not very great.

I have just a basic checking and savings with USAA but any issue I have had they fix immediately. I had a breach to my checking and someone went on a PayPal spending spree, within 24 hours my 2,500 that was taken was replaced to my account and I had a new debit card. I am going to start the USAA secured credit card (despite all the flack I have read) because of how positive my experience has been over the last 7 years. Also... if you look at other sources there are plenty of positive feedback to be read. I do think though, location is huge on the experience you will have with this company. I am in the Northwest and never have ANY issues with this company.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

You have to expect sometimes of encountering someone who may be having a bad day and takes it out on you by being short or unwilling to help entirely. I have met with that type of situation only a couple of times dealing with USAA. Today, Narhonsha took fantastic care of me as has been the general rhythm of my experiences with this bank. The insurance portion could use some tweaking. Narhonsha was incredible in the fact she looked at past issues in depth and was able to assist me positively. Don’t put a check mark in the terrible column until you have dealt with different reps and rate this bank based on them as a unit. I still love this bank immensely after many encounters over 5 years. Give them a chance to remedy your problem by talking to a few reps and not based on one encounter.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: June 14, 2019

USAA denied our homeowner's insurance claim because according to them as best as I can understand, because I changed our deductible before we had a bad event happen. I had no possible way of knowing what was going to happen after changing our deductible. I appealed and the same adjuster who denied the claim the first time also denied my appeal. I kept pleading with USAA as I didn't know what was going to happen and I had no bad intent. The adjuster's supervisor responded online that his decision will stand.

Shortly later I can't log into my online banking. I later find out that USAA canceled our homeowner's policy, they blocked access to my online account, they closed my savings account, they closed my checking account, and they closed my credit card which was on 0% apr promo and want me to pay the balance immediately. I have been a member of USAA for 9 years, perfect account history, no prior claims ever made for our home. My wife and I have been paying their premiums without a single claim for our home. We are both deeply hurt my USAA's actions.

Original review: June 12, 2019

I’ve been with USAA quite a few years with my checking and savings. Have used them in the past for automobile purchases. Just yesterday I applied for an automobile loan and was sent a loan estimate that had my amount, interest rate and monthly payment. It fit my budget so I’m all in now right? I hit the green button to finalize loan and guess what...BANG!! THE BIG SURPRISE!! Interest rate was doubled. Now I have a hard hit on my credit, dealership is calling for me to come pick up the car as we agreed.

I have a hold deposit I probably will never see again!! And to top it all off USAA gives me this great big song and dance making this supposedly my fault for not understanding how the loan process works. They could not even tell me where and how they came up with the first numbers I was given. My credit is good, above average actually. So I’m just one little fish that got jacked around, nothing to them. I plan to pay off my credit card I have with them and move my checking and savings over to Navy Federal where I will not have to worry about someone trying to put a knife in my back. BEWARE!! YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!

Original review: June 11, 2019

Another horrible banking customer no service experience. After nearly 3 decades of membership I have had it. Moved to Costco for mortgage and auto loan. Will take auto insurance to Costco too, and move savings and checking to local credit union. Tried to figure out why my SS deposit suddenly has label underneath it that it is "pending direct deposit". I saw this label last month too, but after 5 clerks and 3 supervisors and nearly 1.5 hours on the phone, I gave up trying to get an answer.

The clerks and supers were condescending and pacifying, telling me I must be confused because the label had always been there,that the funds are in the account and they batch the accounts so the label will disappear tomorrow. I told them I am not confused and this label that suddenly appeared is new and makes me think my funds are still pending and not available. Thank God for Costco where I can compare excellent customer service with the horrible service USAA offers. USAA was good until about 10 years ago, and then they got big and lost their recognition that the customer is what made them.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I have had several auto loans with USAA. Always been great until June 2019 declined. They could not verify my identity. Really? Just got 75,000 Dec. 2018 for new truck. All you get when you call now is ** females with a profiling attitude. Every time I call USAA that's who answers the phone and you never a positive solution. It's like they have a second agenda. No I am not racist though it could sound that way but just call USAA and see if I am right. I’m leaving USAA and going to Navy Federal Credit Union. Bye bye USAA.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Since April, I have been trying to open a checking account with USAA. I did all of the preliminary work to become a member (I sent in my driver's license and proof of military service) and quickly started my membership. Once becoming a member, I wanted to open a checking account. When I tried to open one, the website said that I was ineligible because my military service could not be verified. I called them, and the representative that I talked to put in a front door request for my verification, and said to wait 2-3 business days.

After waiting that time period, still NOTHING had been done. I called them again. The representative said that the verification department was actually behind, and it was in fact 7-10 business days. Again, after waiting that time period, nothing had changed on my account. After calling again (keeping in mind that I was on hold for probably 45 minutes total throughout the call), nobody knew what to do. Everybody told me that the verification department was reviewing my military eligibility.

FINALLY, I called again today (June 5), it had been over a month since my documents were sent in (April 24th). The representative said yet again, that a front door request would be put in on my file, and that I needed to wait 3 business days. Since I had already been through this process, I decided to cancel my account. Everyone that I spoke to seemed obvious and did not know how to solve my issue.

I was transferred multiple time every time that I called, and every call was well over an hour. After being told by everyone how great USAA is, I am thoroughly disappointed in their customer service and their willingness to help out customers. I felt as if nobody actually wanted to help me, and they just passed me on to another person to attempt to solve my case. I will not be doing any more business with USAA.

Original review: June 3, 2019

It saddens me to have to write a poor review of USAA Banking. We have been members for many years and always felt valued until the last year or so when we began to experience degradation of service. Beginning in August 2018, we had an issue that could never be resolved. More than that, we could never reach anyone in their escalation office who would speak to us.

After many months of letters, emails and phone calls with promises that we would hear back we finally moved all of our savings to a credit union. Even after months of aggravation, when I called in March 2019 to close my savings account, the service rep really tried to help and said that he was able to reach someone in the escalation department and would I please accept a phone call back? I confirmed that I would but then never got a call - that was 3 months ago! The front line reps are great and always try but then I never hear from anyone higher up. It is positively unbelievable that such a great company with a great history could now be so terrible with their service.

Original review: June 1, 2019

USAA froze all of my accounts because they said a check I deposited over two weeks ago looks suspicious. They said the check did not return and they are still waiting to see two weeks later to see if it will. What is especially frustrating is that they initially told me the hold would be released within 3 days. Meanwhile they've frozen my savings accounts and checking account including my recent direct deposit from my job. Furthermore, it now commonly takes upwards of 15 minutes to get an associate on the phone. USAA has all of the headaches of a bigger bank but with none of the conveniences such as abundant ATMs or branch offices to visit when dealing with issues such as mine.

Original review: June 1, 2019

I banked with USAA for 3 years without too many issues. Come to find out that was because I was giving them a steady cash flow. Had some unlucky turn of events on top of going through a divorce. So my daily account balance started to decline. Since that happened they started putting holds on my checks for 2 weeks causing my auto withdraws to not clear, then charging me ISF fees. I call to see why this is happening. They tell me it's happening because I don't have a lot of money in my account. So when life gets tough USAA makes it infinitely harder. So all in all just another predatory banking system that gets to use your money freely how they want but will not give you access when you need it.

Original review: May 30, 2019

The associate sounded very immature and I heard commotion in the background. I have been a member for almost 15 years now and got denied in less than 30 seconds. The associate seemed relieved to be done with her job. She gave no other options. ** USAA.

Original review: May 28, 2019

I have been a USAA member in good standing for about 8 years. A month ago I deposited two money orders and the amounts were put on hold. There is no local branch office, so I could not do anything about it. I called them to find out why my amounts were held when previously my deposits have always been fully and immediately available. They had no answer. I waited a month and needed to deposit more money, so I called to find out why that had happened and what was going on. Crickets. I got some fancy e-mail saying their office is investigating, but I never have received an explanation. Previously I was able to cover any kind of issue or overdraft or whatever same day with a money order deposit from their app. Now I can't deposit anything without a week long hold.

Ok, well I am a disabled vet and I get my VA pension to my USAA account. E-benefits has made it super difficult to change my deposit, but after all this I went and changed it by manually filling out the form down at the VA office. I opened a Navy Fed account and I am transferring all direct deposits over. I deposited cash to Navy Fed and paid a few bills from them. Somehow, Barclaycard got the wrong bank and charged USAA instead of Navy Fed, overdrafting me.

I have now been charged five overdraft fees and counting for the same charge. I transferred enough to cover the amount from Navy Fed to USAA through Elle (sp?) so I could stop this. The transfer took three days and by the time it was complete, the fees had eaten into the amount so much that USAA still won't cover it. I am caught in an endless loop of poor customer service, banking errors, and overdraft fees. I hate USAA. I cannot wait for my VA form to process so I can close my account and never have to ever deal with them again.

Original review: May 22, 2019

All three of my children have bank accounts with USAA and I have credit cards with them. Used to have car insurance but their prices just finally became way too high so I switched out. Youngest daughter opened up a savings account. They sent a form saying must have a W-9 signed. I uploaded it, faxed it, mailed it and called at least three times as kept getting letter saying it wasn't done. Rep told me the document was in hand and all was in good order on their side and that they would stop mailings. Well they did stop the mailings and then started tax withholding on account also.

I tried to chat at night as website said chat was available but after inputting my info I get message saying chat is not available. I tried to complain via their website where it says you can message USAA but it does not let you file a grievance about a banking issue. I uploaded a complaint letter. No response. I sent a message and uploaded the complaint again asking for a written response.

After waiting for a response for over a week, I call again today to be told they do not have the W-9. Then they tell me to do it again. I asked how I could get notification. It was done and was told to call. Haha! Customer rep, Bryce, was rude and not helpful at all. USAA used to be at top notch company but the last 5 years have been one customer service issue after another. I am done with USAA and will move the other accounts.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Was notified on a Monday that there was "suspicious activity" on our account and froze both accounts so neither my husband or I could access any of them. Called and was told within 24 hours it would be released after we verified. That Friday they were still frozen, and was told Monday it would be unlocked. Monday comes and goes with yet another phone call and was told it would be Wednesday or Thursday. We can't close our accounts because they are locked. As soon as they are released you can bet we are taking our accounts and insurance coverage somewhere else. What a joke USAA is!!

Original review: May 13, 2019

I have been a member for 30 years. No longer, I will be ending my association with USAA. I was sent notification to upload documents for my daughter’s youth spending account. These documents included a driver's license and social security card. The day I received the notification the documents were uploaded and the website stated successfully received under review. Over 20 days later her account was closed for not providing the requested documents. I contacted USAA to find out what was going on. NO ONE could tell me where the documents I uploaded were and I was told a “security department” could view them.

I requested the security department call me after spending 3:45 minutes on hold. I never received a call back. A request was placed by a supervisor in banking area still no call back. I was told it could be an IT problem from someone in banking. Seems USAA has no concern for security of their members. My daughter is going to college soon and now we have to worry about Identity theft, since USAA can’t explain where the documents are and why the account was closed. They used to be the best. Now they are definitely the worst.

Original review: May 12, 2019

What happened to USAA? I have been a member for over 10 years and have had nothing but positive experiences until recently, which seems to be a new trend as I'm seeing on this site! I have recommended USAA to everyone! As a struggling college student, then a struggling young adult, they had ALWAYS helped me to work through any issues. My checking account has always been used for direct deposit from my jobs over the years.

Recently I became a stay-at-home mom while my active duty husband works (he uses Navy Federal Credit Union). My account isn't used nearly as much as it once was but on occasion, my mom will send over some money for birthdays or holidays (she prefers to send money rather than gifts, she always writes "check your USAA account" in birthday cards.) Well the last time she sent money for our son's birthday, I didn't pay close enough attention and, unknowingly, overdrafted $11. Only $11. I have overdrafted a couple of times in the past and I got a notification which gave me the opportunity to fix it. And I ALWAYS fixed it right away.

Sometimes I got an overdraft fee which is understandable, sometimes it was kindly waived. This time, without warning, no email, no phone call, no letter, no nothing, they shut down my checking account. I only realized when my mom tried to send money for Mother's Day and she told me she wasn't able to. So I called and was sent to a specialist who, in the most bubbly yet condescending tone, told me they didn't need to warn me and that I had gone over the time limit for being overdrafted (a measly $11) so they shut my account down.

I asked what that limit was and she said could be two weeks, could be less. She wouldn't give me a specific time frame which makes me think it's up to their discretion. They're more than happy to keep our insurance accounts (which are always paid on time) open though. She said I could pay them the $11 then an additional $25 to open a new account if I wanted to which I said no thanks. I have always acted in good faith and have only made a handful of mistakes over the course of more than a decade. Why the sudden change in policy? USAA always seemed like a credit union despite being a bank due to how progressive their policies were and how much they cared for and worked with their customers. Now they act like a hard line bank that screws over their customers with no warning or explanation. We're switching everything over to Navy Federal Credit Union after this experience.

Original review: May 10, 2019

USAA is a horrible company to do business with. I have been with this company for about 30+ years and it appears to be time to withdraw all my investments and go with another financial services company for all of my needs because their level of service just keeps dropping and dropping and dropping. I have noticed this over the past 2 decades. Their service started to go down when they opened their member enrollment to military non-officers, and it just keeps getting worse, and worse, and worse. It appears to me that they are now all and only about turning a profit, rather than assisting their members with their financial needs. I used to recommend USAA to all my family and friends but my advice is to now go with another company, or companies.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I made two mobile deposits today in the amount of $1799 total. One deposit was for $299. The other was for $1500. They released $500 total and kept the remaining $1299 on hold until 5/16/2019. I called to see if they would release all of the funds as there are things that will draft against these funds and was transferred to a senior representative charged with addressing these requests.

Upon reviewing my account, the person told me that all in my account looked okay (meaning no overdrafts, returned fees) and could verify all information about the check BUT they could not release all funds because my average daily balance was not the amount of the deposit. That’s ridiculous and discriminatory. As I explained to the representative that is incredibly discriminatory to working class individuals who are managing their affairs (i.e. ensuring adequate funds are I. The account to cover expenses even if it doesn’t leave a huge balance after). I am being penalized for lacking a certain amount of discretionary income to stay in my account. Wow - penalized for being working class... And we wonder why predatory lending reigns supreme in this country.

Main stream banking clearly isn’t amiable to working class. I will be transferring accounts. It is completely ridiculous that opposed to releasing funds - my long term banking institution would prefer that I incur NSF fees and the compounded effects of items returned. Of course, clear to understand the policy - I don’t generate enough interest income for the banking institution to value my patronage.

Original review: May 7, 2019

Member since 1993. Grateful for the many years of superb customer service, but seems USAA’s tremendous growth has forced them to outsource. Now it feels like a below average bank. To make matters worse, rates are not as competitive as they used to be; could not match GEICO by a whopping $1,000!

Original review: May 2, 2019

This is about the loaning department and does not reflect the people, rather the service they provide. Do not take this when considering their other services. They say personal info is taken into account of other situations when it comes to unsecured loans but that is not true. They really only use machines that automatically checks the numbers and keywords and that's it. And if you need money that bad pull an AER loan, trust me you want 0% interest. I know many young service members join but if you are young or have bad credit and would like to finance for a car or anything tough luck. You'll have to wait at least 6 months or whatever it takes to have a decent score of 660 or higher. They also are bad when it comes to financing with credit. They report whenever the machines feels like reporting. So your credit score can drop by not being updated and can update mid month.

So that payment you made at the end of the month to help your credit score? Oops! You have to wait till next month! Have fun sitting at 40% credit utilization and seeing it report as not being paid off! Because that has happened to me when I was in a pinch. Don't get me wrong. The people who work there are fantastic. It's just a broken service that really benefits/supports NCOs and Officers. You can go to the parking lot of new airmen who recently joined. Count half of the lot to be 20k cars at 35% for $600 a month from some sleazy car dealer, and still have enough money for phone service, a phone, food, internet, and basic necessities. But you won't finance me 5k for payments of 180-ish at 18% APR which is totally do-able for really anyone that has a job? (Calculated from multiple loan sites and calculators including USAA's) Shame.

At least Navy Federal actually considers people into the equation, but they do cap at $3900 under certain conditions if you have no credit. However, I asked also asked to see what it would be for $5000 and the difference between $3900 at max APR of 18% for 36 month is: 5K: $180.76 a month! 3.9K: $140.99 a month! So don't do it if you are going anything higher than that because that is sleazy. They are making you pay pretty much the same payments, and they only make about $500 less of off interest. That's like asking for a Big Mac, but they hand you a dollar menu cheeseburger and say "it's 40 cents less. A really good deal!" I made sure by also using their own loan calculator so maybe you shouldn't make it so easy to do the math and find out how you are cheating us out of money. These companies make up it somewhat by having great customer service and advice.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I attempted to have a portion of my payroll distributed to my USAA account. I entered my member number instead of my checking or savings number. And from that mistake, my funds are seemingly lost...even though my member number is connected to my account? How is that right? They contacted me to tell me they conducted an investigation and that my funds have been deposited into an account but they cannot retrieve said funds. And to contact my employer because there is nothing they can do on their end. Absolutely the worst financial institution I've ever dealt with. Never again. Despicable.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I have been a USAA member for many years (over 50) mostly for insurance (car, boat and home) and have observed a steady decline in service. Recently I have had to deal with the investments group. My recently deceased son signed on with USAA several years ago and made investments with them. As I have tried to settle his estate I have had to deal with the investments group. What a nightmare this has been! Picture dealing with the worst, most inefficient government bureaucracy imaginable. Every time I try to talk to this group I get transferred several times and then they don't follow through on my request. I must call back several times to complete simple transactions and of course you never get to talk to the same agent so I must go through the story again and again. It is not only annoying but also an emotional strain.

Original review: April 27, 2019

On Wednesday I deposited 2 paychecks into my account via mobile deposit. I had a payment scheduled to come out of the same account the following day. USAA put a hold on most of the funds and hit me with an nsf fee for $29. I called to complain and find out why my paychecks had been put on hold. No reasonable explanation other than my account balance was lower than the amount of the checks and the funds would be on hold for a week. A WEEK!!! In this day and age, NOTHING should take a week to verify! I could understand if the checks were personal in nature, but I have been depositing checks from this company for a while now. Unacceptable. I am switching to Navy Federal and see if they treat their customers better.

Original review: April 25, 2019

The other departments at USAA have been good (in my experience) but the Dispute dept and CEO office are horrible. They lie to you, they don't send notices like they should (which is part of why they got fined 12 million dollars) and they still haven't done anything to fix it. I get an email in Jan that says I'll be getting a restitution payment "in the coming months", here it is the end of April and NOTHING. They've even had the audacity to tell me over the phone they've paid other members but not me. It's laughable how horrible USAA has gotten. Even the CEO office doesn't respond when it says they will. They are liars and thieves, like most banks, but there are better banks out there. Check out Navy Federal, they have WAY better reviews! I'm switching also. :)

Original review: April 23, 2019

Rec'd a letter dated January 3rd concerning a restitution check of $181.59 being sent to me. Well, today will make 111 days with no check in sight. In fact, Dewey, Cheatham & Howe (or Larry, Moe & Curly-take your pick) say it could take up to a year to receive anything. Meanwhile the pansy***** are intimidated to the point that I have been blocked from their FB page to voice my concerns and read those of others that have been screwed over

Original review: April 12, 2019

I had an issue with my checking account. I used the online chat and began the process of seeking assistance around 11:00 am. I was given the runaround and then disconnected so I started the chat process again. Again I was given the runaround when I asked to speak to a supervisor. I was told all supervisors were in a meeting but someone could call me back within 24-48 hours. It’s Friday. I needed my issue resolved immediately bc I had no access to funds in my account. I left my number anyway and ended the chat and called back, thinking if I actually spoke to a live person they might help. I again asked to speak to a supervisor since I was told the first representatives are unable to help. Again I was put on hold while rep contacted a supervisor.

Another 5 minutes and she comes back and says they’ll have to call me back within 5 minutes. Fine. I waited 10 and called again. Same process. Put on hold for 12 minutes. Someone finally came back on, the rep and someone else. This time I got hung up on. I called back. For the 5th time I explained my issue and asked for a supervisor or ANYONE with authority to act/help. After another half hour I was told there was nothing they could do to help. So basically my whole day off and on (it’s 5 pm) dealing with one person after another, given the runaround etc. ABSOLUTELY THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE. And it’s not the first time I’ve had issues. Must find another bank.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I had fraudulent activity on my credit/debit card. I was told a new card will be sent in a few days. Never received it. I had to wait 9 days without a card. No access to money whatsoever. I was told to borrow money.

USAA Banking Company Information