USAA Banking
1.57/5
Based on 65 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

USAA Banking

San Antonio, TX

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you.

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 15, 2018

360 USAA Banking Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I have been a USAA customer for years. I had auto, life and renter's insurance with them, and checking and savings accounts. I recently canceled all three insurance policies because their rates were significantly higher than other companies' rates - if many of your customers are veterans and you claim to be proud to serve them, why would you do this?

It used to be that if a suspicious charge appeared on my debit card, USAA would call me to verify it and if it was not mine, they reversed the charges and sent out a new card. I signed up for withdrawal alerts on charges over $1 and upon discovering an unauthorized charge recently, I called USAA to report it. They said they couldn't reverse it but they'd cancel the card number and send a new one while the fraud investigation looms. It took two days for a "temporary" refund to appear on my account and USAA emailed me to say they are investigating, but if they find the charge was valid, the refund could disappear.

What kind of change occurred for this to be the approach in handling fraud? I will most certainly be looking for a new bank after this final disappointing experience in which the customer is treated like garbage. I would have had to teleport to another state during work hours for this charge to be valid, much like previous fraudulent charges - USAA is not showing that they value customers by implementing a cumbersome process for resolving these disputes and allowing fraudsters to wreak havoc.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

USAA FSB has three strikes within the relationship between USAA and myself. First strike was a mortgage refinance - they drag their feet and lost the lock in rate. They wanted me to pay $$$$ to lock in at another rate. Made no sense - and throughout the process the amount of people we had to deal with was unreal. Very unprofessional and the worst experience I've ever had trying to obtain a mortgage. We canceled the refinance and I simply paid off the note. Second strike - I have an RV loan with USAA.

Sent a simple principal payment. They credited a 10th of the amount to my account. Not a big deal but not what was stated on the check or the detailed letter which was sent with the check. Third strike - RV loan again - credited my principal payment as a standard payment and overbilled interest on my account for the current month and on top of it pushed my auto reoccurring payments out several months. And for the second time; not what was stated on the check or the detailed letter which was sent with the check. I'm going to pay off the loan and simply leave my account dormant as in the past. I couldn't imagine trying to perform actual banking with this company.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I have been dealing with USAA for a few years and up till recently I have been satisfied. Lately the service has gone way down and there is no customer service worth anything. I started a new job and now my checks can be put on hold because they are not direct deposit at the bank's choice. I am afraid to deposit any amount of money into my account due to not having access to it right away. I will keep my account open just for my insurance payments and car loan payments. Other than that USAA is not any value to me. USAA cannot guarantee that my funds will not be put on hold and how much will be on hold till AFTER I deposit the check! No way is that happening! I would think twice about doing any business with USAA and do as I did and go to a local bank or credit union and do your business. I would give them a -10 but it will not go that low. RUN FROM THESE PEOPLE!!!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

We have been customers of USAA for over 10 years. In the last 2 we have had instances where they took advantage of us. Most recently they said that funds were not in our account when they clearly were and they held my rent check for almost a week and then charged us a 29.00 fee resulting in the check being returned. I even spoke to an agent on the phone and she ensured me that it would all clear up. This was the absolute last straw. We are in the process of switching to Navy Federal.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I’m a 20+ year customer and realized after my motor vehicle accident this company was only good until I needed them. The USAA claims process has failed me. It’s been over half a year since my accident and I’m still not back in my car. The adjuster actually just told me my vehicle would not be totaled out because the repair cost wasn’t close to the value. In what world is $27,975.00 not close to $33,000.00? I guess if you don’t add in the $6,000 in rental car fees these six months or the current costs that the second collision company will charge for the new seatbelt and fixing the constant rattling noises, labor, oh and the dealership charges for making sure the repairs were done correctly.

My car has been repaired twice and still isn’t safe to drive. There is no ETA on the seatbelt—another national back ordered part. I was asked if I wanted my car repaired or totaled and then explained the process that I would get papers in the mail for title/salvage, then today I get a call informing me the Claims Director denied totaling it and said repair some more and stay in a rental. Now I understand why Montana has a class action suit against them for claims handling. I guess they’re assuming this single mom won’t have enough money to fight. I’ll keep sharing my experience until they make this right.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

If I could, I would give them 0 stars! My husband is an Army vet and we have had our account with USAA for a few years. When we were using this account as our spending account, things were great! Now that we starting paying bills from this account, things have dramatically gone downhill! Changing banks is never easy. I began transferring funds from our Bank of America account to USAA to start paying bills from our USAA account. I transferred the funds and scheduled payments to 3 bills to be paid the next business day. When I did the funds transfer, the system said the funds would be immediately available. The next day, I check my account and there are 3 NSF fees at $29 a pop and 3 bills returned unpaid! I call USAA to find out what happened. The customer service rep was unable to provide an explanation so he refunded the NSF fees and had me reschedule the payments.

A few days later, bills were paid. Great! Well, here we are. It happened AGAIN! This time, I transferred the funds from my USAA savings account to cover bills and other spending because we were on vacation. I was hit with 4 NSF charges, 2 one day, 2 the next day, yet when I transferred the funds, the system said the funds would be immediately available. I called USAA to find out what happened. The CSR said there were not enough funds to cover the payments. Yes, there was until they took the NSF fees! The CSR claims it is a "live system" and cannot refund the NSF charges because I previously had NSF fees refunded. I explained what happened previously and that here we are again. I swear money "disappears" from my account. For example, I transferred $150 from my savings account, spent $97.40 but only have $31.20 available. How does that happen? They said there are funds "on hold" but there should be nothing pending!

It's payday again and so I transfer money to pay bills again. Now they have put the entire funds' transfer in my account on hold for 10 days and there's NOTHING they can do to release the hold. They said the transfer of funds is "expected to be returned". What the hell does that mean? The transfer was processed from the other bank! USAA is a bunch of crooks! Take your money elsewhere! We will be closing this account next month!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

USAA offers great financial tools as well as insurance, however where they egregiously fall short is banking customer service as they pertain to military service/disabled combat vets (me). For 20 yrs things were status quo, until after my deployment; I called to reconcile issues from that deployment with them when I was met with Christine (customer service "specialist") who accused me of being a fraudulent criminal for a so called charge on an account that I had thought I closed. I was unaware of the charge and Christine told me it was from a check I wrote. I knew it was incorrect because I never wrote any checks from that account... Long story short the call became adversarial and I had to strongly request a new rep. The new rep and I figured things out and found it a charge that went through unknowingly to me.

My "buyers beware" for USAA Banking is: their customer service does not know how to service/support our specific population like they advertise (lip service); nor do they care. I later attempted to file a formal complaint against the individual where I was looped around the phone system, at extend hold times; and met at times with a "end all be all" attitude. I wasn't able to file the complaint, however I did end our relationship. I left after several incidents (less insulting than this) at different times throughout the years. This one broke the back.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Thirty plus years ago, when my husband was new to the Air Force and we were a young, naive couple, USAA gave us a chance when no other large company would. We insured our one vehicle. We were given a credit card with $1000 limit to allow us to build a credit score. Now, all of this time later, when there are advertisements everywhere on TV and the company has significantly grown, all decisions are made based on "automatic systems" and not on individuals. A year and a half ago, our USAA account was hacked. We eventually received our money back and tightened security on our account.

Meantime, bills that were owed went unpaid, transfers to other accounts did not occur, and we racked up charges for overdrafts. USAA did eventually get the right thing done. However, when a less drastic instance happened and an expected deposit at another bank arrived later than scheduled due to a typo for the account number and two of our checks based on that deposit written to our USAA account could not be collected, USAA locked our checking account down, has disallowed photo check deposit or any transfer of funds from or to our USAA account. I have contacted them many times through email and phone and have only been told that the account could be locked for up to a year due to this incident and that this was the automatic system and could not be overwritten.

I finally spoke to a highly placed supervisor and he will submit a report to the review committee who may or may not release the lock on our account. When the hack happened to us, no other bank we dealt with considered such a thing. But now, after over 30 years, USAA is having a great deal of difficulty unlocking our account because 2 checks totalling 400 dollars (which were paid with re-submission of the checks) initially were returned. Despite their advertisement, personalized service is a thing of the past for USAA. It is sad, but they have grown too big for something that used to be their calling card.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

This bank is the worst!! Bunch of incompetent idiots. I was told that I was a victim of “skimming” after being charged almost $500 for a charge I didn’t make. It has been over 6 days and have not gotten my money back into my checking account. Ruined my kids Xmas! Run from this bank! I am tired of being lied to and misled by them. Filed a complaint with the BBB. Will also be contacting visa and an attorney as well as closing every account my family has with this “bank”. Gimme back my money USAA!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I recently made an online purchase with a company named Rural King, don’t buy from them, I purchased a propane heater & they sent the wrong one and refused to replace it. I contacted USAA to dispute the charge. It has now been 12 days and I still haven’t heard from them. I’m a disabled vet who lives on disability and they could care less that a vendor stole my money and I can’t heat my house properly.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Unfortunately I’m aware now that USAA is authorized to withhold cash in a family’s checking and savings accounts for undetermined amount of time. That’s right. All accounts and for as long as they like...and they can do this by just putting the account or accounts in “review” status. So why am I writing this? Because I can’t believe I’ve done business with since 1981 did it! My fiancée, her son at the Naval Academy and her other son also in College at UNF in Jacksonville Fl. All their accounts were locked without notice 6 days ago Dec 14th and unlocked today after 4 days on the phone with several departments including 1-800-USAA general, Fraud, Executive Resolution Team and several failed attempts to reach the Financial Crimes Department, whom we were told locked the account and were not available to comment or provide information why.

My fiancée’s Mom is a PhD and spouse of a career 0-6 DDS Navy Dentist). Fiancée has Master’s degree and 816 credit rating. I am career Navy Pilot retired now with 835 credit rating. Both boys are A students at Naval Academy and University of Northern FL. I’ve been with USAA since 1981 and seen their service declining steadily recently.

Their campaigns stating that they support military families...BS. They won’t even tell you on the phone what the problem is. When I looked online I couldn’t believe what I found. They don’t participate in BBB...ok but there are numerous complaints from service members stuck overseas without the resources or other bank accounts that we have access to. I’m thankful our nightmare of having thousands in cash tied up only lasted a few days in reality. For others, I feel very bad that they’ve become just another insurance company that cares little about its customers. We've alerted friends and shall continue to post and educate the general public about the power we give USAA and I’m sure others in those user agreements we sign which I didn’t think would ever be used against us this way by an ethical company without notice, reason or due process. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I recall having a small amount left over in my account, after being told that my account was closed, I then said to myself, "maybe a computer glitch things happen." I decided to give USAA a second chance, I was then told by one of the online banking person if I was to wire money to the account they would reopen my account and it will show up on Monday seeing that I was wiring the funds on Friday, I waiting till Monday to give them a call to check and see if the account was active, with all my time and effort, they had rejected the wire and funds from going into the account. When ask how come it did not go in, then I was told that I would have to reopen a NEW ACCOUNT. I recommend that all military personnel go with Navy Federal, this bank is surely not a good bank that will support the military or any other Government agency. I give it the 3 Ps. Piss Poor Performance.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

They were reliable, even if a little pricey. They made the deadline and did not let me down at any point. They called to make sure everything was going according to plan and let me know everything I needed for the entire process.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I transferred 3000.00 into savings from another bank account linked to my USAA account followed by a 2000.00 transfer into my checking account. Now a week later my money is still not available. When I called them they said there is nothing they can do even though my other bank says the funds have been transferred on the same day transfers were made. USAA is holding the funds for 10 days drawing interest and preventing me from buying x-mas gifts for my child and family. They are a terrible bank. I do not recommend them...

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Paid account on a direct debit that cleared as day of transaction. Refused to take any action on account for 14 days. Held up purchase of home with potential loss of property and earnest money. No way to run a banking operation.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

After being a customer for over 10 years they have decided to cancel my bank account with no warning or explanation of why. How this all came about is I lost my atm card, I requested a new one. After receiving the new one I tried to activate it. After being on hold for 20-30 minutes I was told I no longer have an account. I flipped out because I had account with a positive balance and now they are telling me I don’t. They stated if I have a positive balance they will send a check in 30-45 days. So you can imagine how upset someone would be if this was their main form of banking and now you have to wait 30-45 days to get your money. I am not talking about 100-200 dollars, I am talking about over 50,000. This company is discriminatory against anyone with a history and it’s not right.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

USAA Federal is a great place for lending whether it be auto loan or mortgage. The service is fantastic and the rates are more than competitive. Highly recommend.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

My father has been with this bank for years, I opened an account with them and it's been hell ever since. I transferred money to my account when I opened it, a week later I received an email stating that they needed a copy of my DL, a copy of my SS card and verification of my address. They also locked me out of my account until they received the documents. I sent it in and never heard back from anyone. I decided to call them to see if they received everything. They told me yes but they needed my documents to be in color and they needed a back copy of my DL and my SS card which the email never indicated that. Mind you all my documents were readable, so finally a supervisor came on and said that she didn't know why they told me that my documents had to be in color. So she told me to just send in proof of my address like a lease. So I did that.

So again I called again and they told me that yes they did received my lease but It didn't show where it was signed. So I told the rep to just cancel my account and send me my money, she informed me that she couldn't transfer to me anymore because they needed my documents, I again asked for a supervisor and she told me that no one will talk to me because they needed documents. This is the WORST bank I have ever had to deal with. All I want is my money back and close this account. I don't ever want to deal with these ppl. If I want to close my account why does it matter that you receive my lease. PLEASE CLOSE MY ACCOUNT AND SEND ME MY MONEY BACK. I have heard so many bad things about this bank and didn't want to believe it but I have had first hand to see what they were talking about. I will never refer anyone to bank with y'all... Bad customer service all around.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I have been a customer of USAA for about 12 years and never have I been treated so poorly. They closed my checking account citing that I was using it for business purposes and they don't have business checking accounts. I received a letter regarding this issue about a month ago and I called them immediately and was told my account was flagged due to my Paypal business account being linked and transactions that were made. I explained that this has always been the case and was never an issue before. I further explained that my checking account was for personal use and was left with the impression that everything was handled and my account was in good standing.

Today, 11/7/17, my card was declined. When I called USAA, I was told it was because of the account being used for business use. After several calls, much explanation from me and much frustration, USAA is closing my checking account, without warning. When I asked why I wasn't informed, I was told that they mailed me a letter today... the same day the account was put into credit only status. This means I have no access to my money. They are not willing to give me access to my money by transferring to another account or withdrawing the money, etc. I am supposed to wait for 7-10 business days after they decide to permanently close the account to receive a check. USAA is keeping my money hostage. How is this not fraudulent or at the very least unethical behavior?

If I had been told when I first called a month ago that I needed to change the name on my Paypal account, I would have done so. I was not made aware how dire a violation this was to buy things with my Paypal business account or transfer funds to my checking account from said Paypal account. Again, the first letter was a warning and I was led to believe it was a non-issue and the note on the account would be sufficient. When I asked to speak to management to try to resolve the issue, I was told they would send in my feedback. I was told that nothing could or would be done and was made to feel ashamed and like I had committed some horrible crime. I have also been locked out of my online and mobile access so I am unable to access any of my accounts with USAA including my insurance, the kids’ savings accounts and their college funds. All of which I will be taking elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Like many above we are a three generation member family, all military. I have been an insurance member since 1975. To date I've had excellent service from USAA. We started internet banking with USAA about three years ago. Four months ago I was unable to login to my account. Each attempt comes up with a window that says they are having technical difficulty and to try later. I didn't realize how prophetic that statement was. Thus far, after almost five months, my experience has been as others have described above. Compartmentalization (one hand there does not have access to what the other hand is doing or knows), "tickets," raising the priority level, complete lack of follow-up, and long hours spent on the phone re-educating the latest supervisor on the problem. The original problem continues to exist. After dealing with the seemingly uncaring entry level person I end up with talking to a caring supervisor. But it never goes farther.

I get choked to death with all the verbal gratitudes and apologies, but they are in reality just company rubber stamps meant to appease. There is no "ownership." If there was a direct phone number to any of the retired generals who are directors of USAA available I would call it. Are they not aware? If USAA was within 100 miles of where we live I would go sit in their office and not leave until I got what I needed. If this were a military unit, and this were an inspection, it would rate an UNSAT. There is someone at USAA that is responsible to its members to make sure it serves and responds to them. Not only does that person need to relieved for us the members, but for the reputation of the USAA institution that took decades to earn. I'm leaving USAA Banking. If the same systemic problems show up in insurance, I'll regretfully leave that too.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

USAA is such a racket, it's hard to articulate. I would not encourage ANYONE to bank with this company. Once upon a time, long ago, USAA was the elite of financial institutions. Now they are the same if not worse than the big conglomerate institutions that hide behind automated tellers, offshore customer service, savvy marketing. I haven't heard "I'm sorry but there's nothing we can do" so often in my life. Huge disappointment. I pray the young veterans seek financial business elsewhere and not get caught up with ridiculous institution. Just horrible!!!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have been a USAA member for over 45 years. I have used most of their banking services especially to pay bills and make money transfers to and from other accounts. Recently I made a $3000 transfer from another bank to my USAA account using the USAA website to originate the transaction. When I looked at the other account, $3000 had been transferred out twice. Each time I call USAA bank for assistance, I get a new clerk who does not understand what happened and I have to explain what I see in the accounts. I have gone back and forth several times with these people with no satisfactory results. The other bank, Bank of Pensacola, has been very helpful and has also communicated directly with people at USAA bank.

The people at Bank of Pensacola understand what has happened and has helped me recover the lost $3000. However the various people at USAA bank do NOT seem to understand the situation and are unwilling to help fix it. So far $3000 has been lost from my accounts. I like the other USAA products and services, but I DO NOT like their banking services anymore. You can get most of the same services from your local bank where you can talk to a real person instead of some anonymous voice on the phone.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

USAA Federal Savings Bank is the worst bank anyone can deal with and I feel people should be warned before they get ripped off. I had a CD with them that matured while I was in an induced coma in intensive care. I called them as soon as I got out of the rehab facility and was sent home. I explained to them that I couldn't call them to tell them to close the matured cd which had matured on 9/07/2017 because at that time I was in an induced coma. If they would look at the last two CD I had with them I believe they matured this August you will see that I had you send me the funds from them, within the penalty free time just like I would like you to do with this CD. I am asking you to do this because there was no way I could call you because I was In an induce coma!

Your agent said I would be charged a penalty fee. I asked to speak to a manager or supervisor. They said I had to wait for a callback. That took three or four hours for the callback and the person who called back had left for the day. After much to I ended up coming to this end which did not please me but it was the best that could get them to do. They said they wanted to charge me a penalty of $363.66 but would only charge me $63.66. I spent three hours to get them to agree to go from the larger amount to the lower penalty and it wasn't easy. It isn't a nice or a friendly institute to deal with and if you look at the majority of reviews I found them all to be bad so I suggest stay away from USAA. Also it is very hard to speak to anyone at USAA. When you call there most times you get the call center.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

In August of 2010 I opened a 7 year CD at 3.85% with USAA. When the CD matured this past August 2017, USAA automatically rolled over the proceeds from that CD into a new 7 year CD without my knowledge or consent. The new CD has an interest rate of only 1.1%. In order to get my money out I had to pay a $2,500 early withdrawal penalty from the new CD that they opened without my knowledge or consent. I tried several times to get through to the bank in late August and early September. It took me several attempts to get through to the bank by phone, each time being transferred and placed on endless hold. This is a predatory practice aimed at cheating unsuspecting customers.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I believe the employees are committing fraud. My account was hacked and when I called to close it down, they left it open for 3 additional days where someone stole 12K move dollars and now they won’t fix it. I have been in constant contact with customer service, security, fraud, member services and banking. They give me the run around every time. All my money is frozen and I cannot get any help. I have reached out to the FDIC and FTC because the bank is not helping at all. The fraudsters wrote themselves 12K in bank checks and had an ATM card delivered and money withdrawn.

I only had 4K in my account but I want every dime of my money back. They are still investigating this, 3 weeks later. PNC gave my money back and shut down my account in 1 day. USAA is not military affiliated at all. They are telling people they are gov./military and they are not helping military families. They are stealing from military families. Don’t ever get an account with them. As soon as I get my money back I am closing the account for good. I wish I never opened this account. Beware of this bank.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Extremely helpful bank, no branches so ATM costs refunded. No way to deposit checks here where I live in Mexico but no problem if you live in US. USAA does make it easier to function living in foreign land because ATM withdrawals costs minimum. Much better service than mainstream banks... seems more like belonging to credit union.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

The other reviews posted is enough! I've been a banking with USAA since 2011-12 and never had a need to reach out to them up until the last 2 years. The customer service is by far the worst. If you're disconnected for some odd reason, they refuse to call you back even though they verify "a good contact phone number" at the beginning of the call. They will repeatedly charge you insufficient fee charges every few days to gain revenue. For example, I paid my $259.61 electric bill with THIS checking account, thinking I submitted payment from my Suntrust account. My electric company attempted to take the funds when $247.11 was only in the account. YES, that's my mistake and I'm okay with taking responsibility for that.

After noticing the mix up, I noticed there was 2nd $29.00 insufficient fee charge. So I called my electric company and the rep was adamant that the company only attempts to withdraw the money once and instructed me to call USAA. I called USAA and spoke w/ Misty and said they attempt to pay the merchant twice so the fee are valid and she's unable to refund the fee. IF THE ACCOUNT WAS SHORT $12.50 AND YOU DIDN'T COVER THE CHARGE, WHY WOULD YOU ATTEMPT TO PAY THEM AGAIN... Oh I know why, to rack up fees!!! I demanded to speak with a manager and was hung up on. If us getting disconnected was a mistake, she would have called back! With shady practices and ignorant/rude reps, I'm stopping my direct deposit and closing my account. I will also post my experience with my 21k followers on social media to inform them to STAY AWAY!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I have been a USAA customer for around 20 years and feel lucky to have them. Their customer service is excellent, you can always reach an live agent by phone very quickly. I pay my bills through their online service and they have never been late or made a mistake. Checking is free, including the checks, they even refund ATM fees. Their app makes it very easy to pay a bill, transfer money between accounts or check balances, and money transfers occur instantly. My checking account is linked to my USAA credit card, so I never worry about bouncing a check. When I have had disputes with creditors, they have always had my back. I don't think you can do better than USAA.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Great, secure bank. As they do not have branches, they will refund any atm fees you accrue monthly. You can also use mobile deposit or go to specific locations to deposit. Transferring money from bank to bank is also a piece of cake!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

USAA makes it unnecessary to put up with WF, BoA, etc. and their poor service plus high fees. I have been with them 50 years and never disappointed in their banking services. Note that I can do everything on the web, no need for a bank branch.

USAA Banking Company Information

USAA
www.usaa.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use