1.44/5

San Antonio, TX

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

422 USAA Banking Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

When my son and when he arrived back to his base on New Year's Day he couldn't even take a taxi back to the base because USAA left him stranded. All of a sudden his account disappeared. He has tried calling and calling was placed on hold until he finally had to hang up because he had to report to duty. This is how you treat young soldiers? He has now been dealing with this issue since his return to his permanent station and no one has helped him resolve this issue. What kind of bank are you that you would do this to young men and women of the Armed Forces? Not to mention, leaving people stranded because of your system. This needs to be fixed now! He keeps hitting a brick wall. I will move on to more drastic measures if this does not get resolved soon. Can you imagine if one of these young soldiers were deployed and this occurred to them. Someone needs to help resolve this issue immediately!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I opened an account with USAA on December 19, 2018. About two days after opening the account, they froze access to it a couple days after opening with no reasoning. When I found out that they froze the account, I called them. It took several calls to them to find out they needed some documentation to be sent to them. So I complied. They still kept the account frozen and wanted more documents. They keep on saying it takes 2-3 days for review. Here it is January 4, 2019, still frozen then I called them again.

This time they said that they don't want to do business with me. All because I called them out on the way they are treating customers. No notification via email, phone, text or USPS, all of which is on record. They know I am a retired Veteran. It took them a minute to take my funds to open the account and tell me it takes 60 days for me to receive the funds back. After conducting simple internet searches, there is a pattern of behavior with USAA and had to be sued. It amazes me people are still with them. One thing for sure, they don't like people pointing out their deficiencies.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have banked with USAA for almost 20 years. I contacted their banking office twice and spoke with two different agents about Deposit at Home to ensure that funds would be available immediately. They confirmed that their executive team would be able to ensure the funds were available and that they do it all the time. After I deposited the cashier's check, 75% of the check amount was on hold for over a week. The total check amount did not exceed my daily deposit limit. I spoke with the executive banking team and they informed me that there is nothing they could do and that the banking team provided me the incorrect information... twice.

Between this and the issues I have recently been having with their auto insurance company, I think it is time to jump ship from USAA and move over to Navy Federal Credit Union where I will receive better and more reliable customer service and information. Very disappointed in USAA's lack of consistent policies and procedures over the last 10+ years and their inability to take care of a long standing customer. Goodbye USAA.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

USAA is using third-party people instead of their local offices to help with situations. I have been lied to. Placed on hold for over 6 hours one time, and today been on the phone with their third party people since 9:30 this morning. I have still not got any issues resolved. I've been dealing with he said she said. I'm at the point to where now I'm going to print off all my documents screenshot and file complaints with the BBB as well as the credit companies. I have every person I spoke to in every state as well as credit reports and all documentation to back up my records. This bank is horrible now!!! If an actual person who works at USAA in the San Antonio office would like to reach out to me to help with this matter I would greatly appreciate it.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Tried to Increase the limit on my USAA Secured Platinum VISA I had initially set 2 months ago at $1K to $2K. But despite the fact one of the chief reasons I chose this card was that USAA advertised I could increase my limit by putting more security down at any time or interval up to $5K, was just told that my limit could not be increased, per policy that was adopted on the day I signed up, leaving my family and I in a giant holiday travel conundrum. Not cool USAA!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Updated on 01/03/2019: Set up payments to Express Scripts but payments were never credited. Called Express Scripts and did a 3 way call with USAA. Was told matter was resolved - NOT! Come to find out that USAA uses a third party - FISERV - for their bill pay and FISERV went ahead and blocked my entire bill pay service! Took me 4 hours and another 3 way call with USAA to get that resolved involving verifying my identity 4 times! We are now pulling EVERYTHING out of USAA!

Original Review: Tried to use our USAA credit card for a purchase of almost $4000 which was declined. Had to call USAA to get this purchase approved - card has a $0 balance!!! Could not get a 'pre-approval' because USAA demanded the EXACT amount of the charge!!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

We have been posting a check to our USAA account monthly to cover a loan payment through that account. Suddenly, USAA decides to hold part of the check. Nothing changed with our usage of the account (no overdrafts, etc). When we called, we kept getting excuses that made no sense. They finally said that they have an algorithm that withholds money from deposits to ensure a stable daily balance for the bank. In other words, it randomly chooses to withhold money from deposits to cover its own loans and investments. USAA apparently steals customer money to make money for itself. We are closing our accounts and using a bank that does not steal or cheat customers.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I have been a member of USAA for 16 years. For the past 2 years I transfer money from my Bank of America account into my USAA checking account every 2 weeks of approx $1,200. The beginning of November I had an accident and I was out of work. By the time I got my short term disability check I definitely needed it cashed. I tried to do mobile deposit to USAA but they were going to put a hold on it. I canceled the deposit and put it in Bank of America because there was no hold (mobile banking). So as always I transferred $1200 to USAA, with no warning, they put a hold on the instant transfer from Bank of America for over a week.

When I called they said it was based on my average balance for the month. I told her I had an accident so I didn’t have any income for the month, could they please look at the month prior. There was nothing she could do. When I called the next day I got the same answer. A sidenote they also put a hold on the $34 check a client gave me. The money came instantly out of my Bank of America account. I could have taking cash out of Bank of America and driven it to Texas or wherever they have offices in less time than they are holding onto my money. I think they must be having financial trouble.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I opened this account to replace an old account with a very small bank. I made a few transfers from the old one to here with no problem. When I had to pay my rent I transferred $725. They put $525 on hold for 7 days. My complex charges $75 on the 2nd of the month then $10 each day after that. I'm now at $165 in late fees! Because they wouldn't pay the rent when it came through. They charged me am NSF for $29!!! I will NEVER bank here again.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I have been with Navy Federal since 2010. Never once have my checking account been locked. I recently opened a checking account with USAA and learned that my checking account was locked because of a verification document they needed that the agent never asked me for when my check card was being mailed to me. As soon as I received the email from them requesting the document, I uploaded it to their web page. Later that same day I called USAA to speak to an auto insurance agent about my bill and the agent informed me that she could not speak to me because my account was locked.

Needless to say, I never appreciated Navy Federal Credit Union, banking service as much as I do today. I will never do banking business with USAA. They locked my account due to their own negligence to obtain all verifications upon opening my checking account. Unethical and untrustworthiness. Took three days to unlock the account and by then I requested to have the checking account closed. I am so glad I had not set-up my direct deposit with them yet. Something told me to wait.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Well I been with USAA for 3 years now. I have 3 checking account over the years. I also have saving account with them. Well a few place back in Hawaii was hacked and I used my debit card there. So called them and told them what happen. Well they blocked the card. In case of any fraudulent happen they couldn’t use my card. They are always asking, "Is there anything else I can help you with."

So last night I went to an atm to withdraw some money. This atm took my damn debit card. Which that was my only debit card since I don’t need 3 different bank cards. So I called USAA and they canceled my card just in case of fraudulent happen. Then they apologized for that happening. To find out that the bank I went to would shreds my only bank card. So USAA say they would order me a new card. Well they even did checkbook. So I could have some money until I got my new card. I didn’t know anyone that had USAA since it's a military bank. The lady I talked to ask me do I know anyone. I was like no but Well after all that I realize that my friend has USAA too which it helped a lot so I could get cash, well he explain everything they transfer money to his account so I could have cash on me until my new bank card. I love banking with them. Thank you for always taking the extra step.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

So this my last straw with this bank! I wouldn’t give this bank any stars if possible! I wrote a check for my rent and water bill. They had returned it. My daughter came in from out of town. She tried to CashApp the money into the account and was returned back to her for Verification reasons. So I deposited $200 because she had used the card when she was here. Note there is no local anything to deposit money, Nor does anyone tell you that the first $200 you deposit is available and the remaining balance is put on hold for 7 days! Didn’t realize that until I did a mobile Deposit. She gave me another $250 before she left. Called the bank, got the first NSF refunded because of the CashApp issue. Then was transferred to see if I could get the $50 released. This was a money order I deposited, So it’s basically cash.

She tells me due to my Average Daily Balance they couldn’t release the funds. I asked for a Manager and there wasn’t one available. She then says that she had the highest power in the bank as a Manager and Director. She was very rude as well. The acct that I have is a Disability acct for Social Security and all the funds need/have to be used. So the Average Daily Balance would reflect low because of the type of acct it is. So I check the acct this morning and the check was returned for being $20.54 short plus $29.00 NSF! If the $50 was released, I wouldn’t have had this issue! If you they were going to charge another NSF, then it could have been paid! I was going to be charged either way and that $50 would have covered the outstanding amount. This bank does not care about your needs! They’re just nosey about your everyday life! This bank is Highway Robbery! Do Not Bank Here!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

They set your daily check cashing limit to $10,000. Cool, normally no biggie. But I have a check for over that amount that I need cashed ASAP and there is not 1 location in all of Oregon that I can go and cash this check. They would not increase my limit (even temporarily) to allow me to cash this check. The only option is to mail it. They wouldn't even send me a label to safely overnight it to them. Horrible customer service!! We will be finding a bank where you can actually cash checks. Or at least offer to email you a UPS label so you don't have to pay for that yourself. That would have shown proper customer service. Very disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

My son-in-law and daughter recently moved to New York to stay with a friend while trying to get on their feet. They did not have a checking account, so they opened one with USAA. They had to deposit $25 from a card to open the account. Their friend let them use his card to do that. In the meantime, I sent my daughter $50 to help with groceries and diapers for my grandson. USAA won't activate their account because they do not have proof of residency (remember living with a friend).

They received debit cards in the mail, but still cannot get their money back. USAA is holding their $75 dollars hostage because my veteran son-in-law does not have proof of residency. This money could be feeding my grandson if nothing else. I can't believe a company that is supposed to be dedicated to helping our veterans runs their business this way. So don't open the account, but return the money back to where it came from already. SO DISAPPOINTED IN USAA!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I deposited 2 Cashier Checks into my account. Each time after they cleared USAA comes back with a problem and the take the funds and locked my accounts and then charge me for the money used. They have broken several laws in the State of Virginia which states that regardless of the outcome with the check being rejected as long as the check has not been altered and they deposited my option is to sue USAA for this act.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I applied to USAA for a mortgage loan in 2018. I have used my VA certificate and obtained mortgage loans three times prior to USAA. All my mortgage loans were processed professionally and without undue stress. Then comes my USAA experience with their mortgage product. I’ve been with USAA over 30 years. My experience with this company was stressful, frustrating and unpleasant. After numerous phone calls and providing a great deal of information, I finally was relieved to have a ratified contract on a property. The loan officer who processed my loan declared at the end stages of the application that the contracted property was not a VA approved property. She failed to check the property address before wasting hours of my time. Not only did the entire process halt, but she declared I would have to start everything OVER again including a new application and credit check!!!

I literally just provided that information three weeks to her surprise announcement. In other words, her failure to check whether the property was a VA property caused me to lose all rights to apply and continue in the process without resubmitting everything! When I complained to management, the USAA response was that I should have known it was not a VA approved property. When I asked the CEO rep where was the VA approved list, he simply answered, he didn’t know! Stay away from this company! I have never dealt with people so disorganized and uncaring in my life. I decided to rent after this experience. I was too exhausted to try another bank or to acquire another hit on my credit score. Choose another financial institution for your mortgage needs!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

USAA has done this so many times where they charge me a crazy amount for insurance. I’m being charge 510 dollars for one vehicle!!! Then they did this before without notifying and it’s hell to set up the automatic payment. I try every damn month for the savings in insurance and yet it seems like it doesn’t work then I miss a payment so I see I missed one payment and should not owe them 510 dollars!!! I’m sick of USAA. They’re a fraud company and not for the military. They steal your money! Beware.

I asked them don’t save my credit card information yet they did and I asked them not provided information to my ex-husband which was removed from my account and guess what you guys they provided him all my information that I never provided him and he told me the Insurance did which he did not have my verifying information and the manager informed me that they listened to the call and was so sorry! You're sorry for giving out my personal information to a crazy person! That’s not on my account.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have been with USAA for over 11 years now and I have never had a problem up until now. Less than a week ago my account was hacked. USAA failed at protecting my account and personal information. As a result a new card was ordered to Chicago, which I live in Kentucky let that be known. USAA did not notify me of this action at all. Along with the new card being sent to Chicago there was several deposits made into my account and withdrawn almost immediately totaling $14,000. This happened in Chicago - again I live in Kentucky.

Once the bank did catch it they locked my accounts down, which is what should be done, but then after not hearing from the bank for 3 days I called and that is when I found out that USAA has decided that I would be held liable for this and the money withdrawn. Also the checks were counterfeit. So now I have no access to my money and my account is negative $14,000. Way to protect and look after your customers USAA, never again will I bank with you.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I want to rate USAA as less than one star unfortunately that is not an option here. We all see the commercials on how USAA supposedly cares for their clients. This is true up until the point that you are a victim of fraud which happened in my wife and I’s case. The bank suddenly did a complete 180 and turned accusatory to us, the victims and were completely unhelpful throughout the process. No offering of working together for a solution, only accusations that the fraud must clearly have been our fault and that we would have to bear the consequences. None of their departments communicate with one another which ends up that victims of fraud will be sent in an endless cycle of getting nothing accomplished and having the fault thrown at them.

USAA missed the fraud charges to begin with, we were not notified, we did not receive any notification of overdrafts that were related to the fraud, and the whole time they blame us. They failed their clients and will do nothing to support the people they supposedly care SO much about. Do not trust your financial security with this institution. While it may look so good up front, do NOT expect the same treatment once something goes wrong. They will turn on you in an instant and do nothing to aid you in a time of need.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Honestly, I knew better. I read the reviews and figured surely these are just angry unqualified people, I am perfectly qualified. All should go smoothly. WRONGGG. DO NOT USE USAA. They were nowhere to be found throughout the entire process. After weeks of BEGGING THEM to take documents I KNEW they would need and them saying they didn't need them yet, they had the audacity to ask to extend my close date out two weeks. The seller was displeased but agreed, still, it seemed nothing was being accomplished, no appraisal order, nothing. 5 days after making me move out my close date they DENIED MY LOAN for credit history, I have NO DEBT and over a 700 credit score.

Refused to give me a reason why, refused to take an additional documentation, refused to adjust my loan terms or take a larger down payment, basically just didn't want my business. Forced to find a new lender that would haul ** to close in under 25 days, out my earnest money no matter what happens, and putting the seller of the home I'm buying in a ** spot. Luckily I am getting excellent service ELSEWHERE. BE WARNED. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I transferred money from my local bank to my USAA checking account as I have been doing for years. The funds have always been available immediately. But this time, there was a hold placed on the funds. This had never happened before--the amount was an amount I have transferred frequently in the past. Once I realized I would have to wait a while to use my money, I transferred it back to my local bank. USAA promptly charged me an NSF fee because of the hold, even though I transferred the money back. The reason I am giving my experience two stars instead of one is because the representative I chatted with refunded the charge "as a courtesy."

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

On Sept 28, 2018, I logged on USAA to download a Proof of Auto Insurance for our new car. I noticed a withdrawal of $603.'s had been made on our Savings Account. I called USAA--Banking at once and learned someone had requested a Debit Card in my name and the card had been mailed to Oklahoma City. (We have never had a Debit Card nor have we ever requested a Debit Card for our Savings Account and we don't live in Oklahoma.) I was transferred to Fraud and made my report and changed all the security codes.

While the $603.'s was credited the following day my accounts were blocked for several days. I have talked to USAA almost daily and have changed some security codes again. To date, I have made the usual notifications to Credit Bureaus, Police and others, but still fear and check my accounts daily. I am concerned though, why didn't USAA verify the Debit Card especially being mailed out of state? We have been members of USAA since 1962 and my confidence in USAA is truly shaken.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have looked at other reviews for USAA and I am really bummed that they did not have positive experiences. My husband is a vet and we signed up for USAA in 2011. Initially we just had vehicle insurance (the best price in our area by far) and then started using them for banking and homeowner’s insurance. The customer service has always been fantastic, even when I am pretty grouchy with them. Our homeowner's insurance is $44 a month...FAR lower than any quotes we had been given, and our vehicle insurance is fantastic, had to use roadside assistance many, many times and they have been fantastic!! We were stuck on a remote logging road and they were able to get a tow truck up there and out truck out, at 2am! I recently got rear ended and my adjuster has been amazing and helping me deal with the other insurance who are not very great.

I have just a basic checking and savings with USAA but any issue I have had they fix immediately. I had a breach to my checking and someone went on a PayPal spending spree, within 24 hours my 2,500 that was taken was replaced to my account and I had a new debit card. I am going to start the USAA secured credit card (despite all the flack I have read) because of how positive my experience has been over the last 7 years. Also... if you look at other sources there are plenty of positive feedback to be read. I do think though, location is huge on the experience you will have with this company. I am in the Northwest and never have ANY issues with this company.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I have been a member of USAA for many years. My father served in the military for 34 years. Im a military contractor overseas and I cant get any help from no one at USAA!!! My mother passed away on July 11th. I flew home from Iraq, Thank you Military and Red Cross, just to take my mom off life support. I only had a short time at home but tried to get things taken care of. USAA Was The Worst!!! So my Mom had bought a truck for me thru USAA. We called on the phone and did the loan over the phone. The rep forgot to put in death protection. I have tried over and over to have them bring up the calls. They said they were ERASED. Well I thought phone calls were kept for a year at least.

Anyways I know we had told them we wanted it because USAA just paid for a vehicle 2 yrs ago when my father passed away. We have this protection on all our vehicles. If anyone reads this Don't Use USAA. They don't stand by you. Everyone I see I will let them know not to use USAA. Thanks for nothing USAA. All I wanted was a phone call from someone who cared!!! There is so much more to my story on how bad I was treated but I guess Mr Stuart Parker could careless for us MILITARY folks PAST AND PRESENT. I'M SO ASHAMED of your Customer service!!! Please excuse my typos. I'm just upset.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Applied for a loan with USAA to refinance our home. Arthur ** (senior real estate processor) and Lohendy ** (mtg processor) the two most unprofessional people we have dealt with. We sent every bit of information and paperwork they asked for in a timely manner even though at the bottom of each email from Arthur he stated if not received by such a date and time the loan would be canceled. Like it was a constant threat. Almost always it was within 24 hours or less. We had a glitch - they said we could not have the house in the trust the way it was - we asked what they wanted changed. (Our lawyer was going to change it to how they wanted it worded.) Arthur said he would ask his boss what we needed to do.

Lo and behold a week later (I think he just didn't ask and dropped the ball) we got a letter saying we were denied the loan based on the trust. Arthur didn't follow through, didn't find out the information for us, didn't do his job. In my opinion he decided he was superior and could do what he wanted. I then called to get an answer very simple answer. Could have been fixed by my lawyer and moved forward. At the end of my conversation with another loan processor he asks if I would like to reapply once the trust is fixed the way they needed it fixed (we have individual and they needed a joint trust). Not hard to do.

I am now in the process of fixing the trust but not for USAA. Not only will I never ever reapply with USAA but I also wanted to post this to let people know they can use USAA if they want (I have other things like insurance with them). But pray you Never Ever Ever get the loan person named Arthur **, the rudest, most unhelpful, self appointed God syndrome person I have not had the pleasure to know.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I've been with USAA for almost 50 years. They are now at a point of decline where they don't "know what it means to serve" where their customers are concerned.

I'm about to conclude what I can only describe as a Friday and a weekend of USAA hell. Suffice it to say that I have spent approx. 4.5 hours of trying to work with USAA's general security section to resolve account log on issues coupled with security issues related to their offshoot brokerage group.

My experience has been unbelievable. There is no way to get to anyone at an upper level of the organizational chart to assist in solving your problems, so you are stuck with going from rabbit hole to rabbit hole at the functional level with no meaningful solutions. Let me tell you, it is hard to reach the point of almost giving up on a company that for so many years we considered to be part of our military family, but that is the point at which we now find ourselves. Advice? USAA is not the company it once prided itself in being. If you're thinking about joining; "Let the buyer Beware."

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Im done with USAA. I have been a member for a few years now and they have just "lost me as a member for life"! I have closed my checking, savings, an IRA and all my auto insurance because USAA is not trustworthy. NOW I am now getting ready to roll the rest of my annuity and my spouses annuity out of their hands for the same reason, incompetence. They kicked my retirement account around like a piece of dirt and it wont happen again. A week and a half after I requested a withdrawal from an IRA I still have received NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING!!!

I need the money for a downpayment for my home and USAA could care less. I was advised to request funds with a withdraw form that USAA supplied me. I faxed the request form on a Wednesday, paid $8 to fax it and they sat on it for 4 days doing nothing. I finally called them on the fourth day and got someone off their ** long enough to do something. Their financial advise this time is send a check thru the mail. It's been 11 days now and NOTHING. This is why I got away from the banking service, the insurance service and now it's time to say goodbye to the retirement service. I am going to roll both accounts on Monday out of USAA. NOT A MEMBER FOR LIFE and soon to be NOT A MEMBER AT ALL!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

You have to expect sometimes of encountering someone who may be having a bad day and takes it out on you by being short or unwilling to help entirely. I have met with that type of situation only a couple of times dealing with USAA. Today, Narhonsha took fantastic care of me as has been the general rhythm of my experiences with this bank. The insurance portion could use some tweaking. Narhonsha was incredible in the fact she looked at past issues in depth and was able to assist me positively. Don’t put a check mark in the terrible column until you have dealt with different reps and rate this bank based on them as a unit. I still love this bank immensely after many encounters over 5 years. Give them a chance to remedy your problem by talking to a few reps and not based on one encounter.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I’m a 29 year member of USAA but only recently (a couple years ago) started using USAA products. I paid my credit card balance in full. I had also returned an item to a vendor and received the refund back into the credit card account. I was told by USAA that they put a hold of 10 days on credit refunds. The amount wasn’t that large so I can wait but I think this is a little strange. Given this experience and all the negative reviews I’ve been reading concerning holds placed on funds by USAA, I will stop entertaining ideas about opening up any other accounts with USAA including banking and car insurance.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Want a mortgage loan from USAA? Be prepared to be asked the same questions repeatedly by different loan officers; the first one will ask you to complete an application, provide proof of income, credit check. Done? Not yet. Another loan officer will ask you the same questions and more, even request the same documents; because one office is in Texas, the other is in Florida -- they don't communicate. Can't reach anyone on the phone to speak with as they don't work full weeks (probably part time contractors) as USAA seems to be trending toward having other companies service the loans after they set it up.

They gave me two companies in 6 years. Think your credit rating matters? Not really not as much as it should. Buying owner occupied? Be ready to be asked to provide letters from employers or something in writing stating you will live in it (what they are really looking at is to ask you "are you going to rent it out" -- they don't trust their clients -- shop around.

USAA Banking Company Information