3.34/5

San Antonio, TX

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

451 USAA Banking Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 23, 2019

Rec'd a letter dated January 3rd concerning a restitution check of $181.59 being sent to me. Well, today will make 111 days with no check in sight. In fact, Dewey, Cheatham & Howe (or Larry, Moe & Curly-take your pick) say it could take up to a year to receive anything. Meanwhile the pansy***** are intimidated to the point that I have been blocked from their FB page to voice my concerns and read those of others that have been screwed over

Original review: April 12, 2019

I had an issue with my checking account. I used the online chat and began the process of seeking assistance around 11:00 am. I was given the runaround and then disconnected so I started the chat process again. Again I was given the runaround when I asked to speak to a supervisor. I was told all supervisors were in a meeting but someone could call me back within 24-48 hours. It’s Friday. I needed my issue resolved immediately bc I had no access to funds in my account. I left my number anyway and ended the chat and called back, thinking if I actually spoke to a live person they might help. I again asked to speak to a supervisor since I was told the first representatives are unable to help. Again I was put on hold while rep contacted a supervisor.

Another 5 minutes and she comes back and says they’ll have to call me back within 5 minutes. Fine. I waited 10 and called again. Same process. Put on hold for 12 minutes. Someone finally came back on, the rep and someone else. This time I got hung up on. I called back. For the 5th time I explained my issue and asked for a supervisor or ANYONE with authority to act/help. After another half hour I was told there was nothing they could do to help. So basically my whole day off and on (it’s 5 pm) dealing with one person after another, given the runaround etc. ABSOLUTELY THE WORST CUSTOMER SERVICE. And it’s not the first time I’ve had issues. Must find another bank.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I had fraudulent activity on my credit/debit card. I was told a new card will be sent in a few days. Never received it. I had to wait 9 days without a card. No access to money whatsoever. I was told to borrow money.

Original review: April 7, 2019

USAA was recommended to me by my brother. So I gave it a chance. Seems to be a mistake. After joining and opening a bank account I wire transferred a substantial amount of money, then during several following days, 2 small bank to bank transfers just to get some confidence. One day at noon after only 2 weeks, I opened the online access to check the status of the account. Later that SAME day, and for now 4 days, I was denied the ability to sign on with NO advance warning or explanation. All I was told after a lot of effort and nagging and phone calls on my part was that "They" wanted a copy of my driver's license, with no reason why. I sent it to them the same day. Now after 4 days, I still cannot get access to the account holding MY MONEY. They blocked me in less than one day, and will take 3 "business days" to resolve my problem. AVOID USAA.

Original review: March 30, 2019

Their entire 'Customer Service' department seems to be motivated to avoid any sort of 'service' and to turn their customers away. Examples are too numerous to list, although I am on extended hold/transfer right now with USAA and am using this otherwise wasted time to write a scathing, but well-deserved review.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: March 30, 2019

I have been a USAA customer since 2008 and the past couple of years have been pretty lackluster. I live in the Philippines and can't use a debit card to pay all my bills like in the States so I have to withdraw everything from an ATM. I have to call every week to get my limit increased to the amount I need and I have to give the same story EVERY time even though I ask them just to put it in the notes. Eventually I got my limit increased through a request and that took over a year. When I withdraw I pay a fee of $5 from the ATM service I am using and another $5 for international fees charged by the card provider so this would leave my account negative by $20-$50 every month but my disability always covered the difference on the 1st when I am paid.

One day I get on to check my account and it has been removed and charged off so naturally I call and they tell me what happened. Well they say it was negative for 41 days or more so it was charged off and I told them that was impossible. I just got paid. After 2 days of calls they tell me that since my deposit wasn't in the account for at least 24 hours the offset didn't register so my account was considered negative still. I was told "Well sir USAA user policy says you'll pay off as soon as possible." I said, "Well it was paid but your system didn't register it."

At this point I accepted it and just changed my deposit to go to our other account with USAA and we would pay the charged off account to get access to our money on pay day...NOPE. We pay the charge off and they put a 4 day hold on our pay anyway and I'm stuck paying triple the charge of by double what it was. NOW since I have a charge off on my bank record I cannot even increase my withdraw limit. The amount of time I've had to tell USAA that I actually live in the Philippines and I'm not stealing money from myself is ridiculous. My card get cut off all the time for ID theft review (which I'm cool with if it's ID theft) but it's me trying to pay for dinner. Living outside the US and banking with USAA sucks and I wouldn't recommend it UNLESS you're on active duty.

Original review: March 28, 2019

Customer service is absolutely the worst I've ever dealt with!!! For the past 2 months I've called and spoken with at least a dozen different reps (half of which were at the executive level) to resolve an issue caused by THEIR error and the issue is STILL NOT RESOLVED! They keep telling me a different story every time and each time, they say that the issue will be resolved in 2-3 days and "someone will call you back" to confirm. No one ever calls back and the issue is never resolved. I'm convinced they are just trying to wear me down in hopes that I'll give up and stop calling. As a veteran, I am so completely disappointed in USAA.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I am a disabled veteran with PTSD, I have been banking with USAA since 2010. Over the past couple years because of my illness and trying to navigate the trials of the VA, I have not been financially stable. In August of 2018, I lost my job. Since that date, USAA has charged me more than $2000 in NSF or Overdraft fees. $844 of which was taken directly from a deposit of my VA disability, leaving me with less than $200 to survive on for the month, and absolutely no way to pay my bills.

I explained my situation to them, and begged them to refund the fees but they refused each time. I was lectured about my financial "irresponsibility," and informed that it was their RIGHT to charge these fees to a suffering, disabled veteran. No kindness, consideration, care, or empathy was shown from ANY of the representatives who heard about my case. I sent a letter to USAA through multiple contact methods in November of 2018 and did not receive a response at all. After contacting the office of the president, Chad Borton, I was informed that it was, "received by back-office staff." But never addressed? USAA knows what it means to serve -- Themselves. I am beyond disappointed with this company and disgusted that they continue to make their money using veterans and service -members as a prop without even following through with their promise to care.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Used USAA more than 30 years. Pleased with banking, insurance, credit cards, bereavement services, brokerage, fraud handling, etc. Their customer service has always been helpful and resolved whatever issue I have had and always asks if there is anything else with which they can help me. Our only bad experience was with a mortgage refinancing application. It seemed every time I was close to finishing the application, there would be more documents to gather. We couldn't finish the application in the allotted time and had to pay for an extension. I complained to one of the reps about the "run around" I was getting and she apologized and finally explained they were getting handed thousands of new regulations from the Obama administration each month and couldn't keep up with the constant changes. We got all the issues resolved during the extended period and have been pleased with the loan maintenance service since.

When my (retired military) father in law passed away, who was also a long term USAA member, I called USAA on behalf of his wife. Every rep was sensitive and respectful. They transferred me to their bereavement department where we were walked through the issues with his accounts. As it turned out, he had $10k in an account we didn't even know about that helped his wife tremendously during the transition. The account was one they kept in his name that he had never contributed to and may have not even known about, but money was placed there each year by USAA for his loyalty to the company and service to his nation. I don't know why any service member would not use USAA. We love this company even as military dependents. We plan to live and die with USAA!

Original review: March 23, 2019

I had fraudulent charges on my account in the amount of about $95. It’s been a month and they still won’t help me, they say the charges are valid when it’s an absolutely obvious scam from the UK. I will be leaving USAA completely after this nonsense. I will trust my money to a bank that doesn’t take care of their customers.

Original review: March 19, 2019

We've been with USAA for years and have always had amazing customer service - every time we've called! Website is intuitive and easy to use, insurance is great - Love all their services - only wish they offered business accounts!

Original review: March 18, 2019

USAA used to have good customer service, but that has deteriorated and USAA is now among the worst banks. USAA's mismanagement is so severe that it is under 2 separate recent orders from Federal Agencies relating to USAA's woefully inadequate customer service and management, as well as USAA charging illegal fees to customers. One case was brought by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, the other by the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, and both orders are from early 2019. In one of those cases USAA had to pay millions of dollars in refunds to customers it charged illegal fees to. That is how terrible USAA's management is.

My own experience has mirrored the findings of those federal agencies--USAA makes errors in its banking, has terribly trained customer service agents, and different departments have such poor communication that it becomes impossible to get anything straightened out. Combined with their generally inferior banking products (poor credit card rewards, terrible interest rates on savings/checking accounts, etc), there is simply no reason to be a customer of USAA.

Original review: March 7, 2019

Over forty of my 90 years I had utilized USAA, until I eventually found its auto rates were exorbitant, not veteran friendly as advertised. Then, determined to end my remaining relationship I approached USAA Banking to settle the credit card account; but my issues were ignored, no replies to emails, phone calls, or letters, just negative credit card reporting. Recently I was notified that the balance on the account was cancelled. Consistent with its poor service, USAA Banking has, nevertheless, continued negative reporting on an account which no longer exists.

Original review: March 5, 2019

I am currently searching for another bank. USAA Federal bank has high-jacked my bank account and I cannot use it. I have spoken to the CEO's office, who promised to call me back this past Friday 3/1 and I am STILL waiting 3/5. I can't leave the house to grocery shop, because all of my money is frozen for some idiotic policy they claims is Federal. It's nonsense. I can't wait to get away from them. Further EVERY time I call there is more than a 15 minute wait time. I just called and the current wait time is 25 minutes! They're almost as bad as calling the IRS! I want nothing to do with them. My advice is that you don't either. It's too bad, I was looking forward to a long relationship with them since my mother was with them for years. And after reading all of the reviews on this site, I'm concerned about the auto and home insurance I have with them. What a pickle!

Original review: March 2, 2019

After 14 years of having a w9 on file they said it wasn't filed correctly (which it was and I have proof) and they stole our money from savings and checking interest. They refused to refund us the money back to our account. This is very upsetting and probably a case for a class action lawsuit. The form was correct for over 14 years and interest was given up to Dec 2018 and in 2019 it is all of the sudden it is incorrect and they steal our interest. You even can't speak with a clear higher management to resolve the issue. They just call and leave messages on the machine to call the main 800 # to call back. It is absurd! I can't believe they are willing to lose a long time good client over such a small amount.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

USAA has never supported me as a disabled Vet. For one, they never refer to me with my rank like they say in their false commercials. They have never approved any loan request but I have 4 home loans through other financial institutions including a VA loan. I have over $250,000 in another bank but I was just declined for a $12,000 loan!! They are definitely the wolf in the sheep skin and could care less about veterans.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

There's a customer service reg rep who gave my asset to child support... yeah I'm putting her full name out there. Her name is Karen **. She is a disgrace to the company as well as USAA for not examining proper documents and also USAA for not overseeing... She gave ALL my assets to CSS Child Support Services not only did she do that... but the USAA under Color of Law 1983 didn't even notify me. Don't worry I'll be writing the CEO and if he doesn't respond I'll go straight to media and and write a story so compelling that USAA will go out of business. Mark my words. USAA then proceed by saying, "is there's anything I can assist you with and thank you for trusting USAA" lol...you gotta be kidding me. You give all my assets away and you want me to trust you... tip ALL Veterans stay out of this bank. I'm going to tell my friends to drop it. They used to be a legit company. I couldn't rate it a zero but this company is a zero zero zero...

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

My family currently has USAA Insurance, auto loan, credit card, and has had more loans. 10 years with this company. First of all my husband was married well before the 10 years we have been with the company. I had insurance in one state and transferred it as we PC's to another, no problem. Later we PC's and transfer insurance again. Well apparently my husband's ex-wife had a charged off checking account, many years ago I assume and they refused to transfer my insurance back unless I paid for her charge off. Which was close to 400$. I knew it wasn't right.

For some reason I eventually paid it off not knowing whether somehow it would affect my husband - but it hadn't ever been heard of for years until then, and a few months later I call and the woman tells me she couldn't believe they did that and that they could get in trouble. Anyways I knew my coverages I had on my policy because they had to be higher where I moved from and I asked to keep them the same for security. Well I couldn't tell you anything about my policy because once I had an accident I find out that the limits were changed, my son passed away in the accident and I have never in my life felt so horrible for the coldness as if it was just the norm. No help whatsoever. I did fight for my medical insurance to cover injuries, and even had gap insurance and life insurance.

My limits were changed to bare minimal which still was plenty to cover the vehicle since I had gap - well with the accident I knew something was wrong with the car. But I had no idea what to do, who to call, what to ask? They offered no help, except for me to realize that they wanted that car back and apparently the adjuster just said it was a total loss and then they prepared to sell the car, to get more money. Now because they sold the vehicle, there's no proof except from the medical examiner that we were all buckled, and there was obviously a defect in the car with the seat belt. I've called several times and now, I am involved in a court case for this that has went in for over 2 years.

I called them recently for help on finding out what could be done and they said, "Sorry for your lost but you hit the 2 year mark and we should the car on such and such date." I pulled the VIN on the car and they knew that he passed away and they lied to me about the car and literally sold it within 2 months of the accident. I told them I need that car inspected and I called the NHTSA for help and they told me to call USAA to preserve the evidence. I called them within the first several weeks and they say, "oh - well we thought all that was finished." Fast forward... We have a truck loan we have had a few. We have great credit and we are retiring, I asked for the debt protection to be removed and they say, "Well we can put the money straight to the principal every month, and it could be laid off faster." I'm like ok - so I sign the form. Then they say through email we need husband to sign - ok no problem, so I call them to handle it.

The man says, "Hey you know, we could actually refinance the truck" and I'm like, "Really? That's great." Well after he runs our credit, he comes back and needs to talk to my husband and so he does and says there was an alert on his credit. So we find out through the credit people, all he has to do is verify it is my husband through identifying him since we already have the loan there, and it could be done... They refused and said we have to handle it and get it removed. Well also tried for a home loan as well, we were denied on that as well. We have close to 800 score only 2 cars and 2 credit cards. Besides that, on my accident I had accident forgiveness but rates still hit me for increase of 125 a month.

I know all this is out of place, but I worked insurance and the personable relationship you establish with people is better than any phone number you will ever dial and not see a face. They don't care. We have been through every bad thing in life and the hardest part, is that they had 25k to put in an estate account for his benefit, and you know what - we did a Gofundme account instead, because we didn't want to feel as if we were abusing the insurance company. Isn't that crazy. I pray - people read these complaints. Living military life is the hardest life in the world for me and the isolation is unbearable, so to not have a company have your back is heartbreaking. All my neighbors all ask each other if their rates went up.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I have been a member for 18 years. Recently, USAA lost a $20,450 cashier check that I provided to them via UPS overnight with signature on 20 Dec 2018. The check was made out to me, which I endorsed and sent overnight to USAA Priority Bank Deposits department in San Antonio. USAA signed for and took possession on 21 Dec 2019. I sold my 2012 Truck. Sold directly to a nondealer buyer, I still owed money on the truck, called USAA to find out how to expedite the process and did EXACTLY what customer service informed me to do. After USAA signed the UPS receipt document in San Antonio for the check, USAA lost my check. Worse, spent the next 45 days yanking my chain.

Over the next, 45 days, I probably spent 20+ hours on hold with more, "Front End", where I came to learn much about USAA. Banking is actually called the back end vs. the USAA phone line which is the Front End. I was unable to reach or communicate in any way with Banking AKA the back end. My only option was to deal with front end Customer service reps who could only apologize because they cannot ACTUALLY talk directly to "Banking" either. Let me say that again in another way. USAA Banking does not allow me as the customer to communicate with them...at all. Nor am I able to speak to them in any correspondence method phone or email. Are you kidding me? This is a bank, telling me I cannot talk to the Bank. Who exactly is USAA Banking accountable to?

Current state, this fiasco is still not resolved. Because the Cashier Check they lost sometime after signed for it on Dec 21, 2018, cannot be canceled until March 19, 2019. The buyer has a truck he cannot drive; I have a truck still in my name which I must continue to make payments for. Plus I am required to pay his insurance payments for the truck he cannot drive and is parked in his garage. Plus, I will have to pay the late fees he will incur for titling his vehicle 120 days after the date of the Bill of Sale.

Finally, because it lost, but he cannot cancel it, he has to call his bank weekly to ensure it was not cashed by someone other than USAA. This sum of money may not be much to a multi-billion $ corporation like USAA, but this was the single most important bank deposit I have made since selling my house in 2005. I entrusted it to USAA. The only thing you have not cost me here is the sale. He is working with me and I am thankful for small blessings.

Finally and worse from my perspective, the end state excuse I was provided by USAA was that; although they cannot provide me what date, who mailed it, where it was mailed from, or provide a USPS tracking #, or any physical evidence whatsoever that it actually occurred, that due to insufficient direction on my check, let me state this clearly as this sums up the ridiculousness of the entire scenario; USAA bank, snail mailed a signed, $20,450 Cashier to the UPS that I spent $45 at to overnight to USAA.

They did not inform that UPS or anyone else, even though my address, registered to my USAA # was the actual return address. Further, according to USAA, there is nothing USAA can do to offset or assist and I should hope that it does not get cashed because USAA will not be responsible for that either. That (and this situation) will be the last time I make the mistake of trusting USAA with my banking. I filed a BBB complaint and it should be obvious by now, am in the process, and hope to complete by April 2019, shifting all my families finances to Navy Federal.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I am/was a ten year vet with USAA (insurance). Loved them so much I wanted to do banking with them. I was looking at buying another home and was determined to go through USAA. My agent(s) we’re unorganized and slightly shady on how they wanted me to word my childcare and other expenses. I let it go, mainly because the home I wanted had too many issues. I dropped everything and told USAA we can try again another time. But to be honest I had no intention of going through USAA home loan again.

To make matters worse USAA bank issued homeowner insurance on that said house that I didn’t buy and charged me $160 a month. Then they cancelled my current renter's insurance. When I tried to log on to my account to see why I was being charged an extra $160, USAA had locked me out of my account. When I called to see what was going on I was told my account access has been blocked for fraud and I’m not allowed to make any changes to it. When I asked for proof of my insurance for the home I did own they refused. When I asked why I’m being charged insurance for house I don’t own they accused my lender of my current home of calling them and telling USAA I bought the house.

1) My lender had no idea I was ever looking at the 2nd house. 2) Lenders can call you all day, I get to chose which company I want to insure my new home. 3) Escrow pays for my homeowners not my personal bank account, 4) 60+ days later USAA is still charging me for home I don’t own. Still locked out of my account, every time I call I’m told someone will call me in 3-5 business days. I had to go thru my bank to flag USAA from taking money. Thank goodness I don’t bank with USAA. I also had to have my new insurance company cancel my home and auto policy because USAA refused to let me cancel.

The whole thing was/is a mess and random and should never have happened and definitely should have been handled within minutes of me calling. To make it worse USAA put fraud notes against me on my account tarnishing my name and credibility with the company. Wonder how long Stuart Parker can live off his predecessor's name?? I hope USAA can get it together... Highly recommend 3rd party Audit(s).

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Called the Bank from Britain and was put on hold while the customer services attempted to find out some information. This was very expensive and the services rep did not even provide the correct information!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I have been with USAA for nearly 20 years and leaving - entirely! They used to be an organization truly committed to serving veterans and with programs and support that was competitive in the market place as well as empathetic to the conditions of military and veterans. That has changed - they are simply in it for the money now with rates that are no longer as competitive and zero understanding of veterans and their families. The level of customer service in addition to the financial package offers has declined to a level that is intolerable as a customer. Sad to see an organization fall this far. One star offered only because it was mandatory to give them one.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I have had both a checking and savings account for a few years. I have never once been able to access either account. Both always say unavailable. The only option available to me is to add money. I've tried calling several times and never receive a callback. I tried their chat on the website and am referred back to the call center. All I want to do is close the accounts since they have proven that they are incompetent. I need to access my money to pay bills but since I can't do that, I want my money back! This is no way to treat any person, much less a VET!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I’ve been with USAA since I turned 18, 19 years ago. Never had any issues at all, loved and raved about USAA all the time. Then in 2018, all hell broke loose! They blocked my card for groceries from a place I go every weekend. Not only that, but they froze my account AND shut down my online access. When I called the lady told me she unblocked my card and it should work. I told her that it is still getting declined. She said then it must be my Apple Pay, she didn’t know because on their end everything was fine. I had to call back 4 more times over both days on my weekend Sat and Sun and spend hours on the phone to gain access to MY MONEY.

I couldn’t use any cards or even login online!!! Then some bills were rejected because the account was frozen so USAA started making random debits to my account with no explanation or notification. When you would call and ask why they are taking debits out of your account, they don’t know why and there are no notes on my account. They have to investigate. 2 days later they tell us it wasn’t them. It was Instacart. The next day someone tells us it was USAA that took the money because they froze our account the weekend before which rejected bills which they manually had to process, but didn’t know how to post it in the system so they put a misc debit of $200 with no information, notification, or notes on my account.

This bank has turned into a circus. And... same month. I get notification from the state that I’m being fined for not having auto insurance. (GA) I call USAA and oh, they forgot to turn in the GA proof of insurance to the state. It’s a coaching lesson. Then...I rolled my 401k into an IRA through Charles Schwab. USAA lost my 401k, deposited it into someone else’s account, and still haven’t giving me back my money!! That was 4 1/2 months ago. I have filed a federal complaint and a BBB complaint and I highly encourage you to do the same. They are holding our money while profiting on interest. This is a CRIME!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I had read reviews of USAA, and was disappointed with my previous bank. I initially had issues with hold they placed on funds, but continued to work with USAA, and in general terms the bank is functional until... I initially thought since the tout their military membership this would be a great bank if I moved overseas, as they would have the experience, and expertise to provide competent banking services for overseas personnel. This was my mistake. Having been overseas with others of my banks I have found I made a horrible mistake. If you change your address or phone to reflect your true physical address you have made a grave mistake. Every little banking activity comes with the price of an overseas phone call, with the traditional voice menu, of course reminding you of the website features which you have already been denied.

Finally to a filter human being, which authenticates who you are, then passes you on to another person who might actually be able to help you (all the time running up your phone bill). I will say eventually USAA will resolve your issue, but at a cost to you. It should also be mentioned that you can get competitive insurance from USAA online, but if you need cancel a policy, you guessed it. You must call. With today's banking options, I will opt for either of the two banks that I withdrew my money from. Additionally I had went all in, and used USAA's investment services, do not do it.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I have been with USAA for 20+ years. My spouse has their own business and we regularly mobile deposit checks and none have ever bounced. For some reason USAA will withhold a major portion of the deposit without any warning. I will admit our book balancing has not been 100% and we have overdrafted once or twice (my bad). This has really put us in a bind a number of times. I now absolutely DISTRUST USAA with our monies and will be finding a new banking institution. Previous to all of this I would have given USAA 5 stars. How is it their right to withhold MY, not theirs, money? Insurance...I’ll keep it, as it is awesome. 5 star.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

We have been with USAA for a long time and over the past year they have turned into a nightmare bank. They hold money for extended periods of time, their customer service sucks and they Rob their customers and we all are left to deal with it. They never are responsible and if you try to change banks that put roadblocks up that makes it difficult. They have stolen so much of our money. I have a settlement with them and I probably will never see it as well as them closing my accounts and holding my funds. When I tried to get my pay that was deposited from my paychecks they refuse to release the money and hold it for over 90+ days. Stay far away from this bank. They are very shady.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I have been a USAA customer for over 10 years. I used them exclusively for checking, savings, and insurance. This past year I have gone through a lot of financial struggles and loss of income and have not been able to make a few of my insurance payments on time. USAA canceled my insurance because of a failed payment when they tried to charge me double of what I was told on the phone I would be charged. When I called and tried to explain that there must have been some miscommunication, they said there was nothing they could do. I tried to reinstate my insurance but they told me they would need the whole 6-month balance up front, which I definitely could not afford.

So after 10 years of ON TIME insurance payments, a couple missed payments in a year due to financial crisis and they completely screw me over and leave me without car insurance. I even complained directly to USAA and talked to top tier customer service managers and didn't take my customer loyalty into account at all. For a company that actively advertises dedication to families and quality service for customers, they have completely missed the mark. It is clear they are just trying to make money off of you.

In addition, I have been charged so much money due to NSF fees with this bank. It literally costs you nothing when a transaction is returned. They are literally profiting off of you not having money. If I don't have enough money in my account, simply reject the transaction. Why do you need to charge me $30 that you know I do not have. I have moved to Chime Bank which has absolutely no fees!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

About a week ago, on a Monday (Jan 8, 2019) I woke up and something told me to check my bank account with USAA. I noticed that one of my accts (my son's acct) had a $8500 deposits. This was strange to me so I asked my son about it and he had no clue about any check nor deposit. It was suspicious to me because I then saw two withdrawals; $20 and $500 that were made on Jan 7 ($20 withdrew first, deposit was made and then $500 withdrew). I called the bank's fraud and banking line as I wasn't sure what department would handle it considering the issue was multifaceted.

I pretty much assumed the check was a fraud because I had read and heard where scams like this had been on the rise. So did the fraud representative. He then went on to ask my son if he had given someone his debit card and PIN number to make the $8500 deposits. He went on to try to manipulate my son into a confession based on there are no records of debit card chips being cloned. Upon further research I found that this was not true. The representative asked the same questions over and over and stated that an investigation concluded that our accounts had not been hacked. He pretty much just blamed my son and closed out the case without any further conversation nor a more thorough investigation because he says my son's debit card and PIN were used to make the deposit.

Mind you, we have Life360 on our phones so I'm able to track where my 19 year son goes. His schedule is like clockwork and on the day this deposits was made my son was at work and didn't leave. The same day that I discovered the deposit was the same day I received an alert from USAA stating, "your request for a limit increase has been approved." I did not make any request and thus selected "no" on the USAA alert. I find it pretty coincidental that not only did someone else put the limit increase request in but also they kept checking the balance of the acct over and over after they had taken the original $520. And after the initial deposit was made. Some of this information I received from different reps of USAA.

On Jan 8, the day I found out about the deposits and called USAA, the person was still checking the balance for which a hold had already been put on the funds. My son, was standing right by me and had not left the house which is a part of his normal routine. Someone kept checking the balance and tried to make withdrawals up until Jan 12, which was the last time I checked with USAA. None of this seemed suspicious to the bank. The fact that I could be calling them about the fraudulent deposit but someone is still checking the balance and trying to makes charges in the UK. Clearly we don't live in the UK.

One of the fraud agents even asked if my son wrote his PIN on his debit card. I told him I was offended by this allegation and was then cold transferred to another department without my knowledge. During this ordeal I was made to feel like my concerns were not being heard nor were valid. Someone was allowed to steal from our accounts but we were held responsible for it. My son was paid but USAA took all of the money without waiting on a real investigation and not just an assumption of guilt. I have been with USAA for 10 years and although I heard stories of USAA dropping the ball on these types of issues, I didn't think that I would ever have to go through it. They are suppose to take care of their new and tenured customers, not accuse them of fraud.

A couple of days ago my daughter told me that the same exact thing happened to her co-worker but the sum was $5000. After much fighting and police involvement USAA called her and told her that a teen had been arrested for suspected fraudulent ATM bank deposits and withdrawals. He was found with cloned debit cards, stolen checks and wads of money. He apparently has created new PINs for all of the cards and was able to utilize ATMs all over the Killeen, Harker Heights and Cove area without being caught. I have yet to receive a call from USAA. I have already started removing my funds from USAA and will no longer do business with them. Customer service is horrible and they really need to do better. They don't really deserve to service veterans or soldiers. Situation had not been resolved.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

When my son and when he arrived back to his base on New Year's Day he couldn't even take a taxi back to the base because USAA left him stranded. All of a sudden his account disappeared. He has tried calling and calling was placed on hold until he finally had to hang up because he had to report to duty. This is how you treat young soldiers? He has now been dealing with this issue since his return to his permanent station and no one has helped him resolve this issue. What kind of bank are you that you would do this to young men and women of the Armed Forces? Not to mention, leaving people stranded because of your system. This needs to be fixed now! He keeps hitting a brick wall. I will move on to more drastic measures if this does not get resolved soon. Can you imagine if one of these young soldiers were deployed and this occurred to them. Someone needs to help resolve this issue immediately!

USAA Banking Company Information