USAA Banking

San Antonio, TX

USAA Banking
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.41/5

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military. The company has auto coverage options for all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers several coverage and discount options for drivers, as well as their vehicles and passengers.

BOTTOM LINE

USAA is one of the few banks that doesn’t charge monthly service fees for checking and savings accounts. If you’re eligible for an account, you can get access to competitive APY rates.

PROS

• No minimum balance requirements
  • More than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs
  • Competitive APY

CONS

• Strict eligibility requirements
  • Few branch locations

Top USAA Banking Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

My banking experience with USAA has been outstanding! … even with a rare occurrence, whatever the issue, it was resolved with courtesy, consideration, and yes, even kindness.

USAA has the best website and online banking is phenomenal as is their customer service. My only complaint is that they don't do business accounts so I have to have another account elsewhere ...

What is USAA Bank?

USAA is a members-only bank for active-duty military personnel, veterans and those who have close family ties to military personnel. USAA offers a wide selection of financial services, including checking and savings accounts, credit cards and loans for cars, homes and personal expenditures. Members can also manage their financial assets with fixed-rate CDs that have flexible terms.

USAA online banking helps members save time and money with online bill pay and a suite of free budgeting tools. USAA members can send and receive money using the USAA bank app, Zelle, and deposit checks from their phones.

USAA financial services

USAA banking services include both checking and savings accounts. USAA offers two checking accounts — USAA Classic Checking and USAA Youth Spending. USAA Youth Spending is a checking account with parental controls for people less than 18 years old. Classic Checking and Youth Spending have no monthly service fees or minimum balance requirements. Checking accounts require a $25 deposit to open.

USAA loan services offer home mortgages and loans for cars, motorcycles, RVs, boats and personal lines of credit. USAA Bank has several mortgage options, including 15- and 30-year conventional loans, VA loans and jumbo loans. USAA’s wealth management services include two savings account options. Savings accounts require no minimum balance and do not have any monthly service fees. USAA's financial planning services offer CD terms ranging from 30 days to seven years with fixed rates for one, two and five years.

USAA Banking FAQ

Who can open a USAA bank account?
    Any active or former military member or person who is an eligible family member can open a USAA banking account.
    What ATMs are free with USAA?
    Members have access to more than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs nationwide. Any USAA Bank-owned ATM is free for USAA members. Members get 10 free ATM withdrawals each month at non-USAA Bank ATMs, and USAA refunds members up to $15 per month for non-USAA Bank ATM charges.
    How can I deposit money into my USAA account?
    You can use the USAA mobile app to deposit checks into your account from anywhere. You can also deposit money into your account at select USAA ATMs and branch locations.
    Can I join USAA if my grandfather served?
    No. Only widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of USAA members who joined before or during the marriage can join USAA. Individuals whose parents are USAA members are also eligible.
    Can you open a second checking account with USAA?
    Yes. You can open a checking account with a $25 deposit. USAA does not require you to maintain a minimum balance after opening your account.
    Where is USAA Bank located?
    USAA Bank is based in San Antonio, Texas. USAA has five physical locations, which are located in Texas, Colorado, New York, Maryland and at West Point Military Academy in New York. However, USAA has more than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs in the U.S. that cover all states except Nevada, Montana and Wyoming.

Is USAA a good bank?

USAA is one of the best and most trusted banks in the country. It's known for its renowned customer service and strict eligibility requirements. If you have an opportunity to join USAA, you should consider taking it. The bank offers free checking with no service fees or minimum balance requirements but does not offer high-yield savings accounts.

USAA Banking Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Banking?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

I was with B of A for 25 yrs, until one day I got a refund check from a business that I had a warranty issue with. B of A charged me 9 dollars to cash the check. I decided to cash the check because I was concerned it may not be any good since my battle to get the refund took months and a lot of stress getting there. Needless to say I decided at that point B of A did not treat me as a valued 25 yr customer so I left. I went to USAA as I had been with them for 12 yrs as a Credit Card and insurance client. I have had issues in my life that USAA handled without me feeling undervalued, including someone used my CC for purchase I did not authorize. Additionally, they helped me manage my mother's investments after her stroke and since finance a 180k RV which I had problems getting the loan through other banks. I am with USAA for life!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I joined USAA a few years back and am very happy I did. Nice touch when you call in is that they address you automatically by name (and rank) and have immediate access to my account information to begin helping me with my queries, versus mechanically asking for my account number, asking my name, then repeating everything I say and not active listening, hence prolonging the process until getting to my query. I have closed my accounts with my previous bank and now do all my savings/checking banking through USAA. Plus utilize my USAA credit card most because I can pay it immediately from my checking account. I don't think that I should be limited to how many electronic transfers I do between accounts, since it's digital and doesn't require manpower. And believe since my credit score has been excellent for some time now, they could work with me to do better on the credit card's APR.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

USAA, for those of us eligible, is a fantastic bank. Active/reserve/National Guard military members, retired, and most veterans & families are allowed. My accounts have no fees but I'm unsure if that's because I'm retired active duty (started account while AD) or if all accounts are without fees. Even though USAA is an On-line bank, I haven't had any issue with the inability of actually going to a brick & mortar bank - in fact, it's actually quite refreshing. There aren't fees at ATMs but I typically just get whatever amount of cash I might need at the grocery or other store during checkout. I'd highly recommend USAA for anyone eligible to make an account.

Original review: July 26, 2020

USAA is an excellent bank for veterans and their family members who have served in the military. The customer service is excellent and friendly with the ability to inquire via phone or chat. The variety of services and products available is extensive. The online banking app and mobile app is easy to use and safe with 2 factor authentication. Their security measures are top notch. They have no monthly fees for their accounts only overdraft fees, which is understandable. My one and only complaint is the wait times to reach a customer service representative, at times, can be a little long. Perhaps they need to hire more reps. That is a merely an inconvenience. I highly recommend USAA Bank.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Just a veteran, but good enough! I had some unexpected major expenses three years ago. Good credit score, security clearance. Just drowning in high interest. Tried getting loans with credit unions in my area who make their fortunes from vets with clearances - namely Tower FCU and Navy FCU. They either turned me down or did a bait and switch on the interest rate due to my high D/I ratio. I even applied with online lenders who guarantee the lowest rates. But it was USAA that came thru for me in the end. I guess I should have known, as I've been very happy with their bar none customer service since day one. I'll be looking to refinance my primary residence and rental property soon. USAA won't have the lowest rate, I'm sure. But they'll be the first Bank I call. Trust me when I say, it's important to have a good relationship with your lender!

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Horrible customer service. The girl I talked to was not knowledgeable, kept putting me on long holds, and apparently hadn’t been trained on the SCRA. Their website advertises falsely that they follow the SCRA and offer even lower benefits to active duty and deployment services, which is great since it is a military based company. However, when I called about it after submitting documents they said they no longer offer these benefits to Service members effective October 1, 2019. When I told them this was federal law, they said yes, but it doesn’t apply to credit cards, apparently finding a “loophole” somewhere to deny the SCRA to members serving their country on deployment. This is literally the only one of my creditors that doesn’t offer these benefits to customers. American Express, Discover and Chase all offer a reduced rate while on deployment. In fact, American Express took my APR to zero while my husband is deployed.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

I have been waiting for my debit card request since January 2020 which makes it almost a year now! As a lawful immigrant, USAA does not seem to understand my legal documents. They have rejected my Debit Card request through a joint account with my American husband more than 10 times. Each time you call, the representatives’ responses contradict their OWN representatives you talked to before! They are not trained on any of the forms, keep you on hold for hours, get off the phone, then 10 days later REJECT you and come up with another excuse. I am stating this again “THEIR RESPONSES DO NOT MATCH WITH EACH OTHER” and they contradict each other! To the point that after 11 months of waiting I have decided to move on with another bank! This is very embarrassing for USAA and they need to TRAIN their staff! Again HORRIBLE customer service, stay away from it if you can, especially if you’re an immigrant!

Original review: Nov. 5, 2020

Was a member for over 10 years no issues until July 2018 when my purse was stolen. July 16 2018 that's when I realized my purse was missing. I called USAA because I was locked out of my account and let them know my purse was stolen along with my ID my debit card my phone and the check I had done a mobile deposit on. That's when I found out that my account was negative over $3000. How. I don't have overdraft protection. Several checks were deposited in my account and then money taken out at the atm. I told USAA my account and debit card had been compromised to cancel my debit card and not to honor any checks coming through because they were fraudulent with the exception of the one deposited on July 10 2018. I told them that all charges after the atm withdrawal of $260 on July 10 were unauthorized charges.

I filed a dispute so I thought USAA did nothing they did not cancel my card or secure my account and they continued to honor the fraudulent checks. Instead they locked me out of my account. I never regained control of my account again. I called constantly asking them to please help. They refused to give me access to my account. I have disability benefits only. They finally did a dispute in August but by then so much damage was done I never recovered because they never secured my account. I was still locked out of my account. I had no idea what was going on with my account. I asked for bank statements only to be denied. I called over and over constantly. I sent email after email. Some went thru. Some did not.

I was contacted by someone a year later in 2019 who said he worked with the CEO office but he was very vague on his information. Another person called weeks later. He didn't care. This continued for 7 months money was being stolen from my account. I called telling them it was not me, to please secure my funds, stop sending my info to unknown addresses. Still no access to my account. In October they closed my account and then someone reopened it the next day. No one knew why and the person who did it left work and never came back. No one could explain that.

Since October I never even had a debit card so how is it that USAA tells me I'm responsible for everything. I had no access to my account online or otherwise no debit card. Then Usaa continued to let the thief steal my money and what the thief didn't take USAA did. I had employees say that USAA messed up. They should have switched my account but they kept the same account that was compromised. They did not secure it. Their reasons for stating I'm responsible is no pin. Fail. No pin change. Of course you sent my card with pin number together to the thief same geolocation. Of course you sent them my info card pin number. Multiple limit increase on my phone. Yes they stole my phone. They said they sent it to a verified address and verified delivery verified by who not verified by me.

Merchant verification by statement of charges. I asked for that never received it they refused. All of which can not be used to deny a claim.

I asked for all the information they used to come to this decision month after month. Finally 2 years later they send me bank statements that have wrong info, wrong address. They put my ex-husband on the statements. We haven't had an account together since 2014 so I know they were made up after the fact and they sent me 4 pieces of paper with different claim numbers and the reasons why they denied me which I stated they can't use as a reason. It's a mess. I don't think they want me to understand it. So if I called USAA told them of the fraud. They locked me out of my account. They did not secure my account. They continued to allow the thief to steal my money. They stole my money. I did not have a debit card. I never regained control of my account again and they did nothing. Isn't that where my responsibilities ended and they became completely liable for all the damages that followed.

Because of USAA failure to secure my account I lost everything. I have been homeless because of this and no one at USAA seems to care one single bit so please someone help me. I've tried All I want is to have my account reopen, all monies returned that was stolen through fraud the money that USAA took out of my account from July 11 2018 thru March 2019 which is when I did not have access to my account and no control of it or debit card. I don't even care about fees or interest or an apology. I just want my life back, my money I worked hard for. I did everything I was supposed to so why did USAA take my money and I end up homeless and they say it's my fault.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2020

To think USAA will tout themselves as a national bank is appalling, their fraud department for a bank is terribly defunct. How can someone swipe my debit card which is sadly not stolen nor missing because I have it with me, yet it was swiped at a QT gas station. I have never been to QT, but It was used to purchase groceries and cash advance, my money is yet to be refunded, it's been over a week and still no explanation, yet I'm supposed to activate a new card when I do not know how the old one was accessed in the first place to steal from my account.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

USAA offers CIGNA dental insurance as a third party. After signing up, I discovered USAA charges $10-$15 more per month per plan than does CIGNA, depending on the plan. It is less expensive to go directly through CIGNA. I am trying to rectify the discrepancy and it is proving to be very difficult.

USAA Banking Company Information