2. Finance

USAA Banking

San Antonio, TX

3.7/5 (587 ratings)

About USAA Banking

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military. The company has auto coverage options for all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers several coverage and discount options for drivers, as well as their vehicles and passengers.

Pros

• No minimum balance requirements
  • More than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs
  • Competitive APY

Cons

• Strict eligibility requirements
  • Few branch locations

Bottom Line

USAA is one of the few banks that doesn’t charge monthly service fees for checking and savings accounts. If you’re eligible for an account, you can get access to competitive APY rates.

Top USAA Banking Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Verified

USAA, for those of us eligible, is a fantastic bank... My accounts have no fees but I'm unsure if that's because I'm retired active duty (started account while AD) or if all accou...

Verified

The downside to an online bank is a lack of brick and mortar locations when you need a sum of cash that exceeds the daily withdrawal limit, a cashiers check... The customer servic...

What is USAA Bank?

USAA is a members-only bank for active-duty military personnel, veterans and those who have close family ties to military personnel. USAA offers a wide selection of financial services, including checking and savings accounts, credit cards and loans for cars, homes and personal expenditures. Members can also manage their financial assets with fixed-rate CDs that have flexible terms.

USAA online banking helps members save time and money with online bill pay and a suite of free budgeting tools. USAA members can send and receive money using the USAA bank app, Zelle, and deposit checks from their phones.

USAA financial services

USAA banking services include both checking and savings accounts. USAA offers two checking accounts — USAA Classic Checking and USAA Youth Spending. USAA Youth Spending is a checking account with parental controls for people less than 18 years old. Classic Checking and Youth Spending have no monthly service fees or minimum balance requirements. Checking accounts require a $25 deposit to open.

USAA loan services offer home mortgages and loans for cars, motorcycles, RVs, boats and personal lines of credit. USAA Bank has several mortgage options, including 15- and 30-year conventional loans, VA loans and jumbo loans. USAA’s wealth management services include two savings account options. Savings accounts require no minimum balance and do not have any monthly service fees. USAA's financial planning services offer CD terms ranging from 30 days to seven years with fixed rates for one, two and five years.

USAA Banking FAQ

Who can open a USAA bank account?
Any active or former military member or person who is an eligible family member can open a USAA banking account.
What ATMs are free with USAA?
Members have access to more than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs nationwide. Any USAA Bank-owned ATM is free for USAA members. Members get 10 free ATM withdrawals each month at non-USAA Bank ATMs, and USAA refunds members up to $15 per month for non-USAA Bank ATM charges.
How can I deposit money into my USAA account?
You can use the USAA mobile app to deposit checks into your account from anywhere. You can also deposit money into your account at select USAA ATMs and branch locations.
Can I join USAA if my grandfather served?
No. Only widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of USAA members who joined before or during the marriage can join USAA. Individuals whose parents are USAA members are also eligible.
Can you open a second checking account with USAA?
Yes. You can open a checking account with a $25 deposit. USAA does not require you to maintain a minimum balance after opening your account.
Where is USAA Bank located?
USAA Bank is based in San Antonio, Texas. USAA has five physical locations, which are located in Texas, Colorado, New York, Maryland and at West Point Military Academy in New York. However, USAA has more than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs in the U.S. that cover all states except Nevada, Montana and Wyoming.

Is USAA a good bank?

USAA is one of the best and most trusted banks in the country. It's known for its renowned customer service and strict eligibility requirements. If you have an opportunity to join USAA, you should consider taking it. The bank offers free checking with no service fees or minimum balance requirements but does not offer high-yield savings accounts.

USAA Banking Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Banking?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: June 14, 2021

USAA is a full service bank that really takes care of its customers. If not able to take care of any issues online, USAA has customer service that is always polite and helpful. The website is easy to use.

Original review: June 2, 2021

USAA Federal Savings Bank: available to Military, former Military and families - provides checking/ savings/ Home Equity line of credit. Website easy to use and secure - available online and via mobile app. I use them for bill paying - both scheduled automatically and can add one as necessary. Paper checks are also available. Finally, their debit card will reimburse fees (up to 4 or 5 per month). Excellent customer service via phone or message.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2021

As a Veteran my bank USAA has gone above & beyond to attend to my banking needs regardless of situation and hour. They offer comprehensive assistance in all matters of my finances. I have checking, savings & insurance which is $110 monthly. I am considering rental insurance as well as it will lower my insurance even more.. Can't beat that.. Bravo Zulu USAA.

Original review: May 30, 2021

USAA has never let me down. Whenever I call them for any of the services they provide me, whether it be banking, auto/renters insurance, credit card, etc, they always have an answer to my questions. I always receive the best service from USAA representatives. They're very knowledgeable, fast and efficient, thorough, and polite. I never hesitate to pick up the phone to call USAA for assistance, because I know it will be a pleasant experience regardless of the reason I'm calling. I'll think twice before I call any other service provider, but not USAA. Professional and courteous service is something that they are not short on. I'm glad I served in the US Navy, which affords me the benefit of full access to USAA's services...not just their great banking!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2020

USAA offers CIGNA dental insurance as a third party. After signing up, I discovered USAA charges $10-$15 more per month per plan than does CIGNA, depending on the plan. It is less expensive to go directly through CIGNA. I am trying to rectify the discrepancy and it is proving to be very difficult.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

I have been a member of USAA for roughly 15 years. Customer service was exceptional in the beginning but it has completely deteriorated over the last 5 or 6 years. Not only do the phone techs not know how to rectify issues or supply answers for simple problems but they now lie to you. I am having trouble with the USAA mobile app (AGAIN). I cannot access my money. I need to increase my ATM limit so I can make a large purchase yet I can't access my money. The mobile app says it needs to send me a text to verify my identity but they have no known phone number on file. This has been my phone number for 2 years at that point and I had updated it in the USAA system using a human over the phone at least 6 times, 4 times in the last 6 months.

The USAA Customer Service Phone Rep was not able to verify my identity because they have the wrong email address. How the heck did they get the wrong email address? The Phone Rep can only see the first letter of the email and the rest is blocked out. She cannot even update the email to ensure she has the correct one. She has no power or authority to address my concerns and this is what you will be dealing with if you choose USAA. It is not worth it, use a local bank that you can access easily and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

I am so angry with USAA and their policies! First of all, there are no banks or ATMs located within 100 miles of where I live in Albuquerque - which in and of itself makes absolutely NO SENSE because there is a military base here! Second of all, due to there being no way to make a physical deposit - they put a hold on all funds received through their mobile deposit feature!

When I called in I got all the way through to their office of the CEO and was told that their policy is to have a hold on funds received through the mobile banking feature and that they will not release them under any circumstances! Additionally, the funds I deposited were money orders from the GOVERNMENT POST OFFICE! I could see it if it were a private check - but to hold funds on money orders and cashier's checks? RIDICULOUS! We have been a customer with them for over 40 years and this is the way they treat loyal members! I'm going to find another bank because of this crap.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

USAA is somewhat unique. They don't have traditional branches and members do their banking online. That's my preference and not a problem, except that as an online bank you'd expect the USAA online banking experience and features to be top notch, but they aren't. Their bill pay functionality is way behind competitors (e.g., BofA, Wells Fargo) where I also bank. Payments to large billers (Citi, AMEX, Target, etc.) are surprisingly slow compared to the competition. The options for customizing the interfaces are limited and frustrating (the account I primarily access 95% of the time, is never on my home screen). They obviously haven't done much competitive or usability analysis. We used to buy insurance products from USAA but bundling advantages were minimal, and AAA rated competitors were significantly cheaper. The primary USAA saving grace is they don't nickel and dime me like my other banks do.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

USAA used to be a great company but over the last couple of years they have went to the dogs. I had a tree fall near my house 2 years ago. Usaa sent out a repair crew to fix a 6 inch hole in my roof. The repairs ended up costing over $30 thousand the contractor ended up being investigated for fraud by USAA. As the investigation drags on my credit rating takes a hit from their contractor and my insurance rates went up like crazy.

USAA is not the company that it used to be. Even their banking has suffered. They seem to change the rules daily with new account service updates. For instance As of September 11, 2021 I can protect my saving from overdraft with my checking account but I can’t protect my checking account with overdraft protection from my savings. What kind of bull is that? When you try to call them they will keep you on hold for over an hour rather than offer you a call back option. It has become very obvious to me that they could care less about the satisfaction of their customers! Do yourself a favor, find somewhere else to do your business.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

Updated on 09/21/2021: After post time. 90 day railroad. Multiple account shutdowns. 9 debit cards reissued be USAA only 1/3 at my request. My data breached confirmation legally documented. Device send back to me from IP provider. Next? Device will go to manufacture for analysis. With documented study.

Last for this month possible release of my received recoding of fraud report employee of said bank. Polite??? Who said that. This one stated his decision was final. Bottom line. Period! CEO can't reform my authorization. Well Mr/Miss/Mrs Ceo might as well go home collect a check. With this one running the barnyard.

Mark my words it's too late to send the money back. My satisfaction will come from broadcasting to my brothers and sisters with open, transparent, proof, along with audio recording for their retraining excesses.

They will be Suing me before this is over. Not the other suggested path advised by fraud analysis king. At usaa. Never fight a old soldier who has nothing to lose. When he or she never did anything wrong. We'll just read more about your 85 million fines etc. Tell anyone who will listen. Thank you. Consumer Affairs. Usaa look for more drill instructing via the. W.w.w. So. Sit back shut up, and hand on. The rear bay door will deploy at 14,500 altitude today. Green light means jump. Sport.

Original: I was hacked by a group outside and within U. S. USAA returned what amounted to $1250.00. After 2 months I got hit with $2450.00 by usaa to return with 4 days' notice. I call. Disputed with back up info from AT&T. Usaa was not hearing it. After 5 years with usaa. They left me with nothing to live on for a whole month. No communication. A desperate move on their part. Myself over 15 calls. Nothing so far. Almost one way operation from usaa. We make the final judgment. You have No input on your money. Communist. Thinking. Rocky **

USAA Banking Company Information