1.58/5

San Antonio, TX

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

405 USAA Banking Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I have been with USAA for over 11 years now and I have never had a problem up until now. Less than a week ago my account was hacked. USAA failed at protecting my account and personal information. As a result a new card was ordered to Chicago, which I live in Kentucky let that be known. USAA did not notify me of this action at all. Along with the new card being sent to Chicago there was several deposits made into my account and withdrawn almost immediately totaling $14,000. This happened in Chicago - again I live in Kentucky.

Once the bank did catch it they locked my accounts down, which is what should be done, but then after not hearing from the bank for 3 days I called and that is when I found out that USAA has decided that I would be held liable for this and the money withdrawn. Also the checks were counterfeit. So now I have no access to my money and my account is negative $14,000. Way to protect and look after your customers USAA, never again will I bank with you.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

I want to rate USAA as less than one star unfortunately that is not an option here. We all see the commercials on how USAA supposedly cares for their clients. This is true up until the point that you are a victim of fraud which happened in my wife and I’s case. The bank suddenly did a complete 180 and turned accusatory to us, the victims and were completely unhelpful throughout the process. No offering of working together for a solution, only accusations that the fraud must clearly have been our fault and that we would have to bear the consequences. None of their departments communicate with one another which ends up that victims of fraud will be sent in an endless cycle of getting nothing accomplished and having the fault thrown at them.

USAA missed the fraud charges to begin with, we were not notified, we did not receive any notification of overdrafts that were related to the fraud, and the whole time they blame us. They failed their clients and will do nothing to support the people they supposedly care SO much about. Do not trust your financial security with this institution. While it may look so good up front, do NOT expect the same treatment once something goes wrong. They will turn on you in an instant and do nothing to aid you in a time of need.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Honestly, I knew better. I read the reviews and figured surely these are just angry unqualified people, I am perfectly qualified. All should go smoothly. WRONGGG. DO NOT USE USAA. They were nowhere to be found throughout the entire process. After weeks of BEGGING THEM to take documents I KNEW they would need and them saying they didn't need them yet, they had the audacity to ask to extend my close date out two weeks. The seller was displeased but agreed, still, it seemed nothing was being accomplished, no appraisal order, nothing. 5 days after making me move out my close date they DENIED MY LOAN for credit history, I have NO DEBT and over a 700 credit score.

Refused to give me a reason why, refused to take an additional documentation, refused to adjust my loan terms or take a larger down payment, basically just didn't want my business. Forced to find a new lender that would haul ** to close in under 25 days, out my earnest money no matter what happens, and putting the seller of the home I'm buying in a ** spot. Luckily I am getting excellent service ELSEWHERE. BE WARNED. THEY DO NOT CARE ABOUT YOU.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I transferred money from my local bank to my USAA checking account as I have been doing for years. The funds have always been available immediately. But this time, there was a hold placed on the funds. This had never happened before--the amount was an amount I have transferred frequently in the past. Once I realized I would have to wait a while to use my money, I transferred it back to my local bank. USAA promptly charged me an NSF fee because of the hold, even though I transferred the money back. The reason I am giving my experience two stars instead of one is because the representative I chatted with refunded the charge "as a courtesy."

Original review: Oct. 7, 2018

On Sept 28, 2018, I logged on USAA to download a Proof of Auto Insurance for our new car. I noticed a withdrawal of $603.'s had been made on our Savings Account. I called USAA--Banking at once and learned someone had requested a Debit Card in my name and the card had been mailed to Oklahoma City. (We have never had a Debit Card nor have we ever requested a Debit Card for our Savings Account and we don't live in Oklahoma.) I was transferred to Fraud and made my report and changed all the security codes.

While the $603.'s was credited the following day my accounts were blocked for several days. I have talked to USAA almost daily and have changed some security codes again. To date, I have made the usual notifications to Credit Bureaus, Police and others, but still fear and check my accounts daily. I am concerned though, why didn't USAA verify the Debit Card especially being mailed out of state? We have been members of USAA since 1962 and my confidence in USAA is truly shaken.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have looked at other reviews for USAA and I am really bummed that they did not have positive experiences. My husband is a vet and we signed up for USAA in 2011. Initially we just had vehicle insurance (the best price in our area by far) and then started using them for banking and homeowner’s insurance. The customer service has always been fantastic, even when I am pretty grouchy with them. Our homeowner's insurance is $44 a month...FAR lower than any quotes we had been given, and our vehicle insurance is fantastic, had to use roadside assistance many, many times and they have been fantastic!! We were stuck on a remote logging road and they were able to get a tow truck up there and out truck out, at 2am! I recently got rear ended and my adjuster has been amazing and helping me deal with the other insurance who are not very great.

I have just a basic checking and savings with USAA but any issue I have had they fix immediately. I had a breach to my checking and someone went on a PayPal spending spree, within 24 hours my 2,500 that was taken was replaced to my account and I had a new debit card. I am going to start the USAA secured credit card (despite all the flack I have read) because of how positive my experience has been over the last 7 years. Also... if you look at other sources there are plenty of positive feedback to be read. I do think though, location is huge on the experience you will have with this company. I am in the Northwest and never have ANY issues with this company.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I have been a member of USAA for many years. My father served in the military for 34 years. Im a military contractor overseas and I cant get any help from no one at USAA!!! My mother passed away on July 11th. I flew home from Iraq, Thank you Military and Red Cross, just to take my mom off life support. I only had a short time at home but tried to get things taken care of. USAA Was The Worst!!! So my Mom had bought a truck for me thru USAA. We called on the phone and did the loan over the phone. The rep forgot to put in death protection. I have tried over and over to have them bring up the calls. They said they were ERASED. Well I thought phone calls were kept for a year at least.

Anyways I know we had told them we wanted it because USAA just paid for a vehicle 2 yrs ago when my father passed away. We have this protection on all our vehicles. If anyone reads this Don't Use USAA. They don't stand by you. Everyone I see I will let them know not to use USAA. Thanks for nothing USAA. All I wanted was a phone call from someone who cared!!! There is so much more to my story on how bad I was treated but I guess Mr Stuart Parker could careless for us MILITARY folks PAST AND PRESENT. I'M SO ASHAMED of your Customer service!!! Please excuse my typos. I'm just upset.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

Applied for a loan with USAA to refinance our home. Arthur ** (senior real estate processor) and Lohendy ** (mtg processor) the two most unprofessional people we have dealt with. We sent every bit of information and paperwork they asked for in a timely manner even though at the bottom of each email from Arthur he stated if not received by such a date and time the loan would be canceled. Like it was a constant threat. Almost always it was within 24 hours or less. We had a glitch - they said we could not have the house in the trust the way it was - we asked what they wanted changed. (Our lawyer was going to change it to how they wanted it worded.) Arthur said he would ask his boss what we needed to do.

Lo and behold a week later (I think he just didn't ask and dropped the ball) we got a letter saying we were denied the loan based on the trust. Arthur didn't follow through, didn't find out the information for us, didn't do his job. In my opinion he decided he was superior and could do what he wanted. I then called to get an answer very simple answer. Could have been fixed by my lawyer and moved forward. At the end of my conversation with another loan processor he asks if I would like to reapply once the trust is fixed the way they needed it fixed (we have individual and they needed a joint trust). Not hard to do.

I am now in the process of fixing the trust but not for USAA. Not only will I never ever reapply with USAA but I also wanted to post this to let people know they can use USAA if they want (I have other things like insurance with them). But pray you Never Ever Ever get the loan person named Arthur **, the rudest, most unhelpful, self appointed God syndrome person I have not had the pleasure to know.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2018

I've been with USAA for almost 50 years. They are now at a point of decline where they don't "know what it means to serve" where their customers are concerned.

I'm about to conclude what I can only describe as a Friday and a weekend of USAA hell. Suffice it to say that I have spent approx. 4.5 hours of trying to work with USAA's general security section to resolve account log on issues coupled with security issues related to their offshoot brokerage group.

My experience has been unbelievable. There is no way to get to anyone at an upper level of the organizational chart to assist in solving your problems, so you are stuck with going from rabbit hole to rabbit hole at the functional level with no meaningful solutions. Let me tell you, it is hard to reach the point of almost giving up on a company that for so many years we considered to be part of our military family, but that is the point at which we now find ourselves. Advice? USAA is not the company it once prided itself in being. If you're thinking about joining; "Let the buyer Beware."

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

Im done with USAA. I have been a member for a few years now and they have just "lost me as a member for life"! I have closed my checking, savings, an IRA and all my auto insurance because USAA is not trustworthy. NOW I am now getting ready to roll the rest of my annuity and my spouses annuity out of their hands for the same reason, incompetence. They kicked my retirement account around like a piece of dirt and it wont happen again. A week and a half after I requested a withdrawal from an IRA I still have received NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING!!!

I need the money for a downpayment for my home and USAA could care less. I was advised to request funds with a withdraw form that USAA supplied me. I faxed the request form on a Wednesday, paid $8 to fax it and they sat on it for 4 days doing nothing. I finally called them on the fourth day and got someone off their ** long enough to do something. Their financial advise this time is send a check thru the mail. It's been 11 days now and NOTHING. This is why I got away from the banking service, the insurance service and now it's time to say goodbye to the retirement service. I am going to roll both accounts on Monday out of USAA. NOT A MEMBER FOR LIFE and soon to be NOT A MEMBER AT ALL!

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

You have to expect sometimes of encountering someone who may be having a bad day and takes it out on you by being short or unwilling to help entirely. I have met with that type of situation only a couple of times dealing with USAA. Today, Narhonsha took fantastic care of me as has been the general rhythm of my experiences with this bank. The insurance portion could use some tweaking. Narhonsha was incredible in the fact she looked at past issues in depth and was able to assist me positively. Don’t put a check mark in the terrible column until you have dealt with different reps and rate this bank based on them as a unit. I still love this bank immensely after many encounters over 5 years. Give them a chance to remedy your problem by talking to a few reps and not based on one encounter.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I’m a 29 year member of USAA but only recently (a couple years ago) started using USAA products. I paid my credit card balance in full. I had also returned an item to a vendor and received the refund back into the credit card account. I was told by USAA that they put a hold of 10 days on credit refunds. The amount wasn’t that large so I can wait but I think this is a little strange. Given this experience and all the negative reviews I’ve been reading concerning holds placed on funds by USAA, I will stop entertaining ideas about opening up any other accounts with USAA including banking and car insurance.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2018

Want a mortgage loan from USAA? Be prepared to be asked the same questions repeatedly by different loan officers; the first one will ask you to complete an application, provide proof of income, credit check. Done? Not yet. Another loan officer will ask you the same questions and more, even request the same documents; because one office is in Texas, the other is in Florida -- they don't communicate. Can't reach anyone on the phone to speak with as they don't work full weeks (probably part time contractors) as USAA seems to be trending toward having other companies service the loans after they set it up.

They gave me two companies in 6 years. Think your credit rating matters? Not really not as much as it should. Buying owner occupied? Be ready to be asked to provide letters from employers or something in writing stating you will live in it (what they are really looking at is to ask you "are you going to rent it out" -- they don't trust their clients -- shop around.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

They refuse to accept mortgage payments to force me into foreclosure then rush to court for a judgement against me while I was in the Hospital following lung infection & brain surgery for another infection that left me unable walk or stand without help. Also I could barely talk but it didn't stop them from harassing me while I lay in my hospital bed. For which my doctors think I might have also had some kind of stroke. They also paid someone to terrorize me and vandalize my home to scare me off as well as potential buyers or other mortgage companies to block them from refinancing my home by claiming my home was in foreclosure and default of loan when it wasn't.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

USAA determines holds on personal bank account systematically. Meaning, a human doesn’t look at your account to determine if a check should be available. They rely solely on a lifeless system to make choices. This bank is not for the people but for profit only. I’ve never in my banking life had a check on hold for 7 days. At most, 2-3 days because it was a large check. The check I deposited with USAA was from the Treasury department for the State of Kentucky. I was employed by the state for 4 years up until recently switching jobs so a paper check was sent. I’ve never had a bad check deposited or fraudulent activities.

Their only excuse was federal guidelines which I know is a joke because my mother just had the same exact situation but with a Federal Credit Union and they removed the hold that day because it was a check from a large financial institution. My senior rep I spoke with said, people can get fraudulent checks for treasury dept. So basically calling me a fraud and trying to deceive the bank. It is absolutely ridiculous. I just opened a new account with a credit union which multiple physical locations and much better service. I can’t wait to ditch USAA and their joke of a Military bank.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2018

I could not get a Executive Resolution Team member to tell me why there was a hold on funds. She instead spent the entire time quoting the customer service agreement and federal bank regulations to me. It was on par with a fly-by-night operation!

Original review: Aug. 20, 2018

Today I called USAA and asked for internet. The two individuals to whom I spoke (I had to call twice) did not know how to correct the problem of their putting the wrong username when I would connect. They placed a # sign instead of an !. I checked my account and it was correct. The man to whom I spoke said I should contact a company who works with fixing my browser. There is no problem with my browser. So I called the third employee and asked for the Complaint Department. I was passed on to the Insurance Dept. The gal who answered it tried hard to help, but in the end I fixed it myself. Years ago we left USAA, and put our money elsewhere.

So now in September I shall close my banking account, go to a bank who has quality employees. I noticed you have a low rating and many, many complaints and unhappy customers. I will make it my priority to inform my husband's friends with whom he served in the USN (43 years of active duty serve) go to Yelp and other websites to share my many experiences. It is apparent that no one cares about their faithful customers at USAA.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2018

This bank is a joke! Never, ever bank with USAA. If you're in the military, go to NFCU! It took $323.84 from me unauthorized; when I got my money back, it took it again! It's a long history of mistransferred calls, disconnects, having to re-explain myself multiple x, and misinformation. Do not bank here!!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

This company gives the appearance they are a military friendly company: they are actually con-artists. They don't have any brick and mortar facilities, so all of those operating cost don't exist. Instead, they put the inconveniences of not having a physical bank to walk into to conduct business in back on the customer. This is a burden, and in most cases manageable, but when/if a problem arises from not having a physical bank (i.e. a egregious fee imposed for pulling out cash from a 'partner bank') they are unbending. Complete lack of understanding and respect for my time and service. I do not recommend.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

A few months ago I called USAA to ask if I can sponsor my mother for membership. They said yes that's not a problem. My mother got very excited and wanted to invest with USAA as well. So we set her up a membership. But bam, nope shes not eligible due to her state. Wow... USAA does allow parents to be sponsored by their veteran kids just not where she lives. That is ridiculous, my mother took care of my kids, financial stuff, payments for things, every issue that arises here while I was deployed. That to me is service enough. She served the veteran while her veteran served this country. Wow. This bank has really disappointed me and my family, thinking about closing all my accounts and going to a different bank. My mother's service is adequate to me, is honorable to me, is highly respected by the military branches and to say otherwise is a disgrace to me.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2018

I was assigned an adjuster. When I looked the person up they went to jail in Florida for theft of thousands of dollars. If USAA is willing to be this careless in their judgement of people, then they shouldn't call themselves a bank. It's a JOKE! I am afraid she might write false checks from my claim and keep for her own personal use.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2018

My account recently got restricted, when I called USAA they informed me that my account is closed due to fraud and my funds will not be given back to me, no other explanation was given and I was told not to call them back. I have been a member since 2005 and it is just ridiculous they can't even give an explanation of the reason why the account was flagged as a fraud.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

On 30 July a vendor received a web bill pay check from USAA via me. She deposited it via mobile deposit and was told that funds were available immediately. The check was returned by her bank as USAA my bank left a digit out of my account number!!! It caused a cascading effect on her account and she bounced 4 checks. Overdraft fees of $36 a piece which is outrageous were charged. I called USAA and was on the phone for over 4 hours so far trying to get this woman her money back. Even a person on the Executive fix it team couldn't help. It has now been three days and no money. It was the fault of USAA clearly and they acknowledge that. Still nothing!

Original review: July 26, 2018

They can't even take care of an unauthorized transaction, anything that gets charged to your account if it's something you have no clue about or didn't authorize you have to eat it. The phone support is a joke and I have to get a money order to deposit any money. This was a mistake. I'm going back to Chase. At least the screw job I get from them isn't as painful.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I have lived thru USAA getting my cards hacked (at their processor) twice, and a few other misdeeds, But this one got to me... Been a member for years... They decided I needed to fill out electronic signature cards months ago... I filled out the cards I believed I was supposed to. As it turns out, I only filled out Checking, not realizing the ones they sent me later were separately for savings. The way they solved the problem, was right after they sent me my electronic notice of the $ in my savings acct on June 30th, they closed out my acct., and mailed "a check" to an old address I no longer live at, AND didn't send me any electronic notice or alert (which I am signed up for). I discovered it a couple days ago, when I happened to check my acct., and saw NO Savings acct. listed.

I tried the chat line - no intelligent answer there, so called the number they list for banking --- after I go thru all my disclosures, etc., I ask the lady why they mailed a check, instead of just transferring the $ into my checking accts. - she said "That was USAA's policy, I'd have to ask them." I said "You are USAA," she said no, she was just a call center, not a bank employee. WHAT??!! I requested to talk to a real USAA employee, and after several minutes, some VP of something came on and said they sent me the forms, so that should've been enough. Had no answer for why I received no "alerts" or "notifications" I am signed up for.

I said I would sign up for a new savings acct. if she would just stop payment on the check (no idea where it is), and then just transfer the funds into my checking acct. with them. She said can't do, as it is not their policy, but she would help me sign up a new savings acct., then send a check to me to put in that acct. "WHAT?!!!" For now they still have my checking and credit card accts., but I am proud to have opened a new checking AND soon a savings acct. with Navy Federal, where they really do appreciate veterans.

Original review: July 20, 2018

This bank is a joke. They are not competent and they do not care about Veterans, I had over $2000 fraud charges. They issued a credit then two months later they removed the credit and said the charges was authorized which caused me financial hardship. They would not return my calls and I ask for proof I authorized the charges they would not provide any information. I would not recommend this bank to anyone. They do nothing to protect their clients from fraud and your money is not really insured. It's just part of the slogan.

Original review: July 11, 2018

USAA believes that someone that paid late once on their home equity loans once, July 2014, while not able to receive communications due to chemotherapy should have it on their credit report for 7 years, the same as if I had defaulted on the loans. Never late, loans are paid in full, and they still will not remove it from my credit report because it was not in error. If you cannot take a personal approach in banking and forgive one month out of 119 other months being paid early or on time you are not a good bank. I will remove all my business from them. I will no longer ever recommend them to anyone. They completely understand says David ** who works in conjunction with the CEO's office on complaints but no exceptions are ever made. It will remain on my credit report for 7 years. It is the only negative thing on my report and I just turned 60 if that gives you an idea of how I pay my bills and how USAA treats their customers. I will find new providers for all my needs.

Original review: June 30, 2018

Absolutely awful experience with USAA and their ability to manage security. Our accounts have been broken into 6 times over the past 2 years. We have set up the maximum security possible with them and this continues to happen. They allow inbound callers the ability to change our passwords and add emails all without our text confirmation code. Inside job for sure. Very disappointing that their security team cannot resolve.

Original review: June 26, 2018

I took two checks issued by USAA to the main bank off of I-10 in San Antonio and the USAA teller, and then her manager both refused to cash them. It is pathetic when a bank refuses to cash checks it issued and says a good deal about the incompetence, lack of professionalism and lack of fiscal integrity displayed by USAA on a daily basis.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I have used USAA because I thought that they were veteran friendly and all about service to our country. I was taken for a fool! Not only do they not care about men and women in the service, veterans, but 100% disabled veterans like me get the worst treatment. Lol. I don’t have the money to pay back over $1,350 in fraud charges that USAA promised to cover! A bunch of thieves!!!

USAA Banking Company Information