USAA Banking

USAA Banking

San Antonio, TX

3.8/5 (681 ratings)

About USAA Banking

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military. The company has auto coverage options for all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers several coverage and discount options for drivers, as well as their vehicles and passengers.

Pros

• No minimum balance requirements
  • More than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs
  • Competitive APY

Cons

• Strict eligibility requirements
  • Few branch locations

Bottom Line

USAA is one of the few banks that doesn’t charge monthly service fees for checking and savings accounts. If you’re eligible for an account, you can get access to competitive APY rates.

Top USAA Banking Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Verified

USAA, for those of us eligible, is a fantastic bank... My accounts have no fees but I'm unsure if that's because I'm retired active duty (started account while AD) or if all accou...

Verified

The downside to an online bank is a lack of brick and mortar locations when you need a sum of cash that exceeds the daily withdrawal limit, a cashiers check... The customer servic...

What is USAA Bank?

USAA is a members-only bank for active-duty military personnel, veterans and those who have close family ties to military personnel. USAA offers a wide selection of financial services, including checking and savings accounts, credit cards and loans for cars, homes and personal expenditures. Members can also manage their financial assets with fixed-rate CDs that have flexible terms.

USAA online banking helps members save time and money with online bill pay and a suite of free budgeting tools. USAA members can send and receive money using the USAA bank app, Zelle, and deposit checks from their phones.

USAA financial services

USAA banking services include both checking and savings accounts. USAA offers two checking accounts — USAA Classic Checking and USAA Youth Spending. USAA Youth Spending is a checking account with parental controls for people less than 18 years old. Classic Checking and Youth Spending have no monthly service fees or minimum balance requirements. Checking accounts require a $25 deposit to open.

USAA loan services offer home mortgages and loans for cars, motorcycles, RVs, boats and personal lines of credit. USAA Bank has several mortgage options, including 15- and 30-year conventional loans, VA loans and jumbo loans. USAA’s wealth management services include two savings account options. Savings accounts require no minimum balance and do not have any monthly service fees. USAA's financial planning services offer CD terms ranging from 30 days to seven years with fixed rates for one, two and five years.

USAA Banking FAQ

Who can open a USAA bank account?
Any active or former military member or person who is an eligible family member can open a USAA banking account.
What ATMs are free with USAA?
Members have access to more than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs nationwide. Any USAA Bank-owned ATM is free for USAA members. Members get 10 free ATM withdrawals each month at non-USAA Bank ATMs, and USAA refunds members up to $15 per month for non-USAA Bank ATM charges.
How can I deposit money into my USAA account?
You can use the USAA mobile app to deposit checks into your account from anywhere. You can also deposit money into your account at select USAA ATMs and branch locations.
Can I join USAA if my grandfather served?
No. Only widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of USAA members who joined before or during the marriage can join USAA. Individuals whose parents are USAA members are also eligible.
Can you open a second checking account with USAA?
Yes. You can open a checking account with a $25 deposit. USAA does not require you to maintain a minimum balance after opening your account.
Where is USAA Bank located?
USAA Bank is based in San Antonio, Texas. USAA has five physical locations, which are located in Texas, Colorado, New York, Maryland and at West Point Military Academy in New York. However, USAA has more than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs in the U.S. that cover all states except Nevada, Montana and Wyoming.

Is USAA a good bank?

USAA is one of the best and most trusted banks in the country. It's known for its renowned customer service and strict eligibility requirements. If you have an opportunity to join USAA, you should consider taking it. The bank offers free checking with no service fees or minimum balance requirements but does not offer high-yield savings accounts.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Banking?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

They are holding my money. They refuse to let me speak to a manager. They are not following Federal policies. They have terrible customer service. I spoke to Anthony employee number is ** who claimed that his manager David refused to speak to me. Then I spoke to Roselyn employee number ** who continued to argue with me. Refusing to let me speak to anyone above her. 3 hours on the phone was just a waste of time and got me nowhere.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2022

Today is Aug 22 2022. I learned 3 days ago that Usaa was closing my account per their right to do so. No explanation as to why. No letter, nothing. Today after escalating to the ceo office supposedly the highest you could go I was informed on the 8th they had mailed a letter to me about this account being under review. And by the 18th I couldn't access my money. So 7 to 10 business days for my mailed letter and before it arrives they shut down my acct. Claiming 30 days to close and then 7 to 10 business days to mail my remaining funds to me.

I am a 100 percent disabled veteran. I am sure many of their customers are as they cater to military. And now less than halfway through the month they cut off all access to my money that I need to pay bills. No way to reopen, get my money or expedite. They just cite the clause saying they can close the account whenever they wish. I've been a customer for 8 years they have no loyalty and they do not give a crap about honor or integrity. Absolutely unwilling to do anything. As they make it sound someone has the authority to close my account blocking off access to all my money but no one can reverse that or get me my money faster than 40 days.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2022

We have been USAA customers for years. Imagine trying to get gas and your debit card not working and you call the bank and they tell you that they can’t tell you anything. Sitting at a gas station with all your money in a bank that you can’t access. A kind gentleman paid for my gas so I could get to work and try to find out what was going on. After many hours on the phone I was finally told that the account had been closed for a unknown reason. This began the end of July and we are on Aug 20th and USAA is still holding our funds. They are holding over 4,000 with no reason given. We have reached out to Wayne Peacock the CEO and the board of directors with no response. It has come down to reporting the bank and its actions. My advice would be not to do business with this company.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2022

In an effort to handle the paperwork and accounts following the death of my father I experienced the worst customer service ever from USAA. Following numerous timely calls, conversations with various departments, countless requests for documents, the matters are still unresolved. Survivor Relations? They have no relations! The other departments do not have access to a central system so you end up repeating the process with each staff member. It is unfortunate that this a service for Veterans, what a disgrace for the men and women who serve our country. USAA should be renamed USFF...they fail on every level!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2022

USAA had $500 promo to set up a checking and savings account. The only catch was he had to have Auto deposit of your paycheck. That was a nightmare to set up. I actually had to speak with a USAA agent on the phone at the same time I was at my bank talking to their personnel. All three on the call. Even after that USAA refused to honor the $500 promo because my auto deposit wasn't in the exact form they required. Again their employee was in on the call and told me that that was the proper method. They screwed me out of $500.

Original review: July 26, 2022

I hate to say anything against USAA because their home owners insurance has been great for our family. I cannot say enough good things about the home owners insurance. But the banking side of USAA is a mess. The people in banking customer service are polite and try to be helpful, but finding someone competent to speak to is very difficult, in my experience. For nearly 1 month I was trying to have a simple signature card mailed to me so that I could add my wife as co-owner of my checking account. How hard can it be to mail a signature card. I will stop this rant and just say that something is seriously wrong in the banking department. Something is seriously wrong when a person is constantly put on hold for almost 1 hour and the issue is not settled at all. I love USAA but the bank has serious issues going on.

Original review: July 24, 2022

My USAA bank account was locked, leaving me without access to my money. No explanation was given, other than an email stating it was locked, and all my online access was also blocked. Spent 1.5 hrs on the phone with various people to be told there was suspicious activity but wouldn't give me details of the activity for me to verify if it was me. I was told there is nothing they can do and I will be without access to my money for three days until they finish a review of my case. I have been a customer for over 30 years and have never had this issue but now am rethinking my decision to use their bank. I had previous issues with their auto insurance and ended up switching companies, as well. Customer service has gone downhill in past years. My advice is find another bank.

Original review: July 24, 2022

USAA, should never be allowed to be called a bank/savings institution. Someone in San Salvador, withdrew funds from my account. Within one minute, I called USAA to stop the withdrawal. Security/ fraud, said they can’t stop the withdrawals, but afterwards they will make a claims report. I lost over 600$ for a month. USAA hung up on me 5 times during our conversations. They canceled my debit card and closed my account for no other reason, and would send me my funds in 60 days.

Original review: July 14, 2022

I’m going to save you the hassle and say we have had USAA since 2007, at one point they were a good bank however now they are complete garbage. They access your account without your knowledge. They put money into your account, take money whenever they want and they claim they send out mail but I can tell you multiple times I’ve never received notices from them. And that’s because with any sort of dispute they use an outside company who doesn’t bother to look up the addresses or representatives only change your address in I guess a certain part of their system and not another part so they will send it to old addresses and they will just stick to saying, "We sent it to the address," even though you can provide them proof that you were not that address when it was sent out and that you have a new address that’s in completely different state thousands of miles away.

Jenn at Corporate just reads the same lines to you. She doesn’t genuinely care about your situation. USAA does not care about service members. You’re better off using Service Federal Credit Union or Navy Federal Credit Union if you are a service member. And everything is such a hassle. There’s so much inconsistency and the customer service representatives all read off of the same script. No one is actually listening to you so they can help you and they say they care about their customers but the customer service clearly shows they do not.

Original review: July 11, 2022

I’ve been w/ USAA for 15+ years. They used to be the best, and now they are a nightmare to work and deal with. Their customer service went to stellar to a daily headed. Before I was proud to be with USAA, and now I can even go through the computer voice. And trying to deposit a $50k check has been the worst experience of my life. Enough is enough, and I’m parting ways. For the young servicemen, look for a local bank you can rely on!

USAA Banking Company Information