USAA Banking

San Antonio, TX

USAA Banking
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.61/5

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military. The company has auto coverage options for all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers several coverage and discount options for drivers, as well as their vehicles and passengers.

BOTTOM LINE

USAA is one of the few banks that doesn’t charge monthly service fees for checking and savings accounts. If you’re eligible for an account, you can get access to competitive APY rates.

PROS

• No minimum balance requirements
  • More than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs
  • Competitive APY

CONS

• Strict eligibility requirements
  • Few branch locations

Top USAA Banking Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

My banking experience with USAA has been outstanding! … even with a rare occurrence, whatever the issue, it was resolved with courtesy, consideration, and yes, even kindness.

USAA has the best website and online banking is phenomenal as is their customer service. My only complaint is that they don't do business accounts so I have to have another account elsewhere ...

What is USAA Bank?

USAA is a members-only bank for active-duty military personnel, veterans and those who have close family ties to military personnel. USAA offers a wide selection of financial services, including checking and savings accounts, credit cards and loans for cars, homes and personal expenditures. Members can also manage their financial assets with fixed-rate CDs that have flexible terms.

USAA online banking helps members save time and money with online bill pay and a suite of free budgeting tools. USAA members can send and receive money using the USAA bank app, Zelle, and deposit checks from their phones.

USAA financial services

USAA banking services include both checking and savings accounts. USAA offers two checking accounts — USAA Classic Checking and USAA Youth Spending. USAA Youth Spending is a checking account with parental controls for people less than 18 years old. Classic Checking and Youth Spending have no monthly service fees or minimum balance requirements. Checking accounts require a $25 deposit to open.

USAA loan services offer home mortgages and loans for cars, motorcycles, RVs, boats and personal lines of credit. USAA Bank has several mortgage options, including 15- and 30-year conventional loans, VA loans and jumbo loans. USAA’s wealth management services include two savings account options. Savings accounts require no minimum balance and do not have any monthly service fees. USAA's financial planning services offer CD terms ranging from 30 days to seven years with fixed rates for one, two and five years.

USAA Banking FAQ

Who can open a USAA bank account?
    Any active or former military member or person who is an eligible family member can open a USAA banking account.
    What ATMs are free with USAA?
    Members have access to more than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs nationwide. Any USAA Bank-owned ATM is free for USAA members. Members get 10 free ATM withdrawals each month at non-USAA Bank ATMs, and USAA refunds members up to $15 per month for non-USAA Bank ATM charges.
    How can I deposit money into my USAA account?
    You can use the USAA mobile app to deposit checks into your account from anywhere. You can also deposit money into your account at select USAA ATMs and branch locations.
    Can I join USAA if my grandfather served?
    No. Only widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of USAA members who joined before or during the marriage can join USAA. Individuals whose parents are USAA members are also eligible.
    Can you open a second checking account with USAA?
    Yes. You can open a checking account with a $25 deposit. USAA does not require you to maintain a minimum balance after opening your account.
    Where is USAA Bank located?
    USAA Bank is based in San Antonio, Texas. USAA has five physical locations, which are located in Texas, Colorado, New York, Maryland and at West Point Military Academy in New York. However, USAA has more than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs in the U.S. that cover all states except Nevada, Montana and Wyoming.

Is USAA a good bank?

USAA is one of the best and most trusted banks in the country. It's known for its renowned customer service and strict eligibility requirements. If you have an opportunity to join USAA, you should consider taking it. The bank offers free checking with no service fees or minimum balance requirements but does not offer high-yield savings accounts.

USAA Banking Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Banking?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

I was with B of A for 25 yrs, until one day I got a refund check from a business that I had a warranty issue with. B of A charged me 9 dollars to cash the check. I decided to cash the check because I was concerned it may not be any good since my battle to get the refund took months and a lot of stress getting there. Needless to say I decided at that point B of A did not treat me as a valued 25 yr customer so I left. I went to USAA as I had been with them for 12 yrs as a Credit Card and insurance client. I have had issues in my life that USAA handled without me feeling undervalued, including someone used my CC for purchase I did not authorize. Additionally, they helped me manage my mother's investments after her stroke and since finance a 180k RV which I had problems getting the loan through other banks. I am with USAA for life!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I joined USAA a few years back and am very happy I did. Nice touch when you call in is that they address you automatically by name (and rank) and have immediate access to my account information to begin helping me with my queries, versus mechanically asking for my account number, asking my name, then repeating everything I say and not active listening, hence prolonging the process until getting to my query. I have closed my accounts with my previous bank and now do all my savings/checking banking through USAA. Plus utilize my USAA credit card most because I can pay it immediately from my checking account. I don't think that I should be limited to how many electronic transfers I do between accounts, since it's digital and doesn't require manpower. And believe since my credit score has been excellent for some time now, they could work with me to do better on the credit card's APR.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

USAA, for those of us eligible, is a fantastic bank. Active/reserve/National Guard military members, retired, and most veterans & families are allowed. My accounts have no fees but I'm unsure if that's because I'm retired active duty (started account while AD) or if all accounts are without fees. Even though USAA is an On-line bank, I haven't had any issue with the inability of actually going to a brick & mortar bank - in fact, it's actually quite refreshing. There aren't fees at ATMs but I typically just get whatever amount of cash I might need at the grocery or other store during checkout. I'd highly recommend USAA for anyone eligible to make an account.

Original review: July 26, 2020

USAA is an excellent bank for veterans and their family members who have served in the military. The customer service is excellent and friendly with the ability to inquire via phone or chat. The variety of services and products available is extensive. The online banking app and mobile app is easy to use and safe with 2 factor authentication. Their security measures are top notch. They have no monthly fees for their accounts only overdraft fees, which is understandable. My one and only complaint is the wait times to reach a customer service representative, at times, can be a little long. Perhaps they need to hire more reps. That is a merely an inconvenience. I highly recommend USAA Bank.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Just a veteran, but good enough! I had some unexpected major expenses three years ago. Good credit score, security clearance. Just drowning in high interest. Tried getting loans with credit unions in my area who make their fortunes from vets with clearances - namely Tower FCU and Navy FCU. They either turned me down or did a bait and switch on the interest rate due to my high D/I ratio. I even applied with online lenders who guarantee the lowest rates. But it was USAA that came thru for me in the end. I guess I should have known, as I've been very happy with their bar none customer service since day one. I'll be looking to refinance my primary residence and rental property soon. USAA won't have the lowest rate, I'm sure. But they'll be the first Bank I call. Trust me when I say, it's important to have a good relationship with your lender!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2021

My phone and mobile app were hacked to the tune of almost 5000.00. I immediately reported when I saw mobile deposits and withdrawals from 980 up for purchases of what I assume are cards after calling the merchants. I DID NOT DO THIS!! It was reportedly immediately and blocks placed on all accounts. I have deleted all my information and changed my user id, pin and password. I was told yesterday by "specialist" that I would be responsible for the deposits and the charges. Are they kidding??? My payroll and benefits are deposited here and they can't be redirected for at least a 8 weeks. That means USAA is now going to be the one stealing from me. Just be aware and don't use mobile app and do not have any codes sent to your phone. Definitely not the bank they use to be!

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

I seldom use my USAA checking account, and hence was surprised when money transfers started being initiated from my external bank. A total of $7500 had been transferred so far, and someone has been using the account over the last week to pay bills suck as Amex credit card bill and utilizes. I contacted USAA to notify them of the finding. Should be a simple process I thought. I have had this account for 13 years and I was shocked when the first representative hanged up on me after insisting that it was my fault for the fraud due to not securing my password.

Second representative 30 minutes later said the same thing, stated I couldn't get the remaining money back as it was in crime scene. It's 03Dec20, bills are due, and Christmas is approaching, no panic. To add fuel to the fire, The representatives did not know how long it would take to get my funds back, but insisted I beg my bill collectors and my mortgage to waive late fees while they sit on my money and their broken outdated computer system.

USAA representative are incompetent in doing their job. They are more concerned in pointing the blame at me who has not logged in into that account for 2 months and say the security breach was my error, and I ought to change my passwords again. They were also concerned in opening me another checking account instead of figuring out how to get my money back. I am frustrated and out $7500 + overdraft fees, bounced checks and late bills from this. The best USAA can do is offer to open me another check account! Stay away from this business!

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

I was told today that they no longer will service me after 18 years. I asked why and the bank and the senior manager could not even give me a valid justification. I used this bank for paying bills and shopping. All they could say was that they were sorry and did not know why my account was being closed.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2020

Horrible customer service. The girl I talked to was not knowledgeable, kept putting me on long holds, and apparently hadn’t been trained on the SCRA. Their website advertises falsely that they follow the SCRA and offer even lower benefits to active duty and deployment services, which is great since it is a military based company. However, when I called about it after submitting documents they said they no longer offer these benefits to Service members effective October 1, 2019. When I told them this was federal law, they said yes, but it doesn’t apply to credit cards, apparently finding a “loophole” somewhere to deny the SCRA to members serving their country on deployment. This is literally the only one of my creditors that doesn’t offer these benefits to customers. American Express, Discover and Chase all offer a reduced rate while on deployment. In fact, American Express took my APR to zero while my husband is deployed.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2020

I have been waiting for my debit card request since January 2020 which makes it almost a year now! As a lawful immigrant, USAA does not seem to understand my legal documents. They have rejected my Debit Card request through a joint account with my American husband more than 10 times. Each time you call, the representatives’ responses contradict their OWN representatives you talked to before! They are not trained on any of the forms, keep you on hold for hours, get off the phone, then 10 days later REJECT you and come up with another excuse. I am stating this again “THEIR RESPONSES DO NOT MATCH WITH EACH OTHER” and they contradict each other! To the point that after 11 months of waiting I have decided to move on with another bank! This is very embarrassing for USAA and they need to TRAIN their staff! Again HORRIBLE customer service, stay away from it if you can, especially if you’re an immigrant!

USAA Banking Company Information