USAA Banking

USAA Banking

San Antonio, TX

3.9/5 (1081 ratings)

About USAA Banking

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military. The company has auto coverage options for all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers several coverage and discount options for drivers, as well as their vehicles and passengers.

Pros

• No minimum balance requirements
  • More than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs
  • Competitive APY

Cons

• Strict eligibility requirements
  • Few branch locations

Bottom Line

USAA is one of the few banks that doesn’t charge monthly service fees for checking and savings accounts. If you’re eligible for an account, you can get access to competitive APY rates.

Top USAA Banking Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Verified

USAA, for those of us eligible, is a fantastic bank... My accounts have no fees but I'm unsure if that's because I'm retired active duty (started account while AD) or if all accou...

Verified

The downside to an online bank is a lack of brick and mortar locations when you need a sum of cash that exceeds the daily withdrawal limit, a cashiers check... The customer servic...

What is USAA Bank?

USAA is a members-only bank for active-duty military personnel, veterans and those who have close family ties to military personnel. USAA offers a wide selection of financial services, including checking and savings accounts, credit cards and loans for cars, homes and personal expenditures. Members can also manage their financial assets with fixed-rate CDs that have flexible terms.

USAA online banking helps members save time and money with online bill pay and a suite of free budgeting tools. USAA members can send and receive money using the USAA bank app, Zelle, and deposit checks from their phones.

USAA financial services

USAA banking services include both checking and savings accounts. USAA offers two checking accounts — USAA Classic Checking and USAA Youth Spending. USAA Youth Spending is a checking account with parental controls for people less than 18 years old. Classic Checking and Youth Spending have no monthly service fees or minimum balance requirements. Checking accounts require a $25 deposit to open.

USAA loan services offer home mortgages and loans for cars, motorcycles, RVs, boats and personal lines of credit. USAA Bank has several mortgage options, including 15- and 30-year conventional loans, VA loans and jumbo loans. USAA’s wealth management services include two savings account options. Savings accounts require no minimum balance and do not have any monthly service fees. USAA's financial planning services offer CD terms ranging from 30 days to seven years with fixed rates for one, two and five years.

USAA Banking FAQ

Who can open a USAA bank account?
Any active or former military member or person who is an eligible family member can open a USAA banking account.
What ATMs are free with USAA?
Members have access to more than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs nationwide. Any USAA Bank-owned ATM is free for USAA members. Members get 10 free ATM withdrawals each month at non-USAA Bank ATMs, and USAA refunds members up to $15 per month for non-USAA Bank ATM charges.
How can I deposit money into my USAA account?
You can use the USAA mobile app to deposit checks into your account from anywhere. You can also deposit money into your account at select USAA ATMs and branch locations.
Can I join USAA if my grandfather served?
No. Only widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of USAA members who joined before or during the marriage can join USAA. Individuals whose parents are USAA members are also eligible.
Can you open a second checking account with USAA?
Yes. You can open a checking account with a $25 deposit. USAA does not require you to maintain a minimum balance after opening your account.
Where is USAA Bank located?
USAA Bank is based in San Antonio, Texas. USAA has five physical locations, which are located in Texas, Colorado, New York, Maryland and at West Point Military Academy in New York. However, USAA has more than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs in the U.S. that cover all states except Nevada, Montana and Wyoming.

Is USAA a good bank?

USAA is one of the best and most trusted banks in the country. It's known for its renowned customer service and strict eligibility requirements. If you have an opportunity to join USAA, you should consider taking it. The bank offers free checking with no service fees or minimum balance requirements but does not offer high-yield savings accounts.

USAA Banking Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2023

For all business owners, please be aware of this unprofessional USAA Federal Savings Bank. I have been scammed by a customer, his name is "Riley **. He is living at 3365 **." He bought jewelry from us using a USAA Visa card then the customer put a dispute through his bank. I appealed to this bank and provided all the evidence. In the end, the decision this stupid bank made was favoring the customer. I have been scammed for around $200 (incl bank penalty fee) plus lost products because it has been taken by Riley. Please be aware of Riley ** and USAA Bank. I assumed Riley and one of the dispute teams from USAA Bank were working together.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2022

Can't find balance in checking. Try to use points and what a mess. The president (or whatever) should be fired. Along with all those who keep making using online banking a horrifying experience. I have used USAA for years. And, patrilocally they really mess with the online banking. Key word "MESS". If it were easy to switch (changing direct deposits) I would have been gone a long time ago. Some genuine/serious recommendation(s). Save your mind and sanity. Don't start with USAA.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2022

I have spent days waiting for a “dispute” status of an overpayment on my car loan in which is through USAA and my checking account is with them as well. It is on recurring payment but my pay fell on the 16th and the autopay did not register that it was paid so I paid it physically unto which they hit my account later that day. Of course I had no intention of paying it twice and had to call immediately to try to get the loan payment reversed but of course that was too easy to do. I had to file a dispute against my own lender USAA & of course was told any NSF fees would not be charged of my checking in the process! Guess what? They were! I explained what happened and had to wait a few more days due to the holidays…I talked to 4 different people in 3 calls and some were still in training I think. All to be denied…I was so stressed and all living costs are coming up …My 2nd call I was in tears …y third call was to file a second dispute.

I have been a member 7 years and have loved them but this experience I got a lot of attitude with one and inexperienced agents probably because of the holiday but am just so heartbroken as this company WAS one of the best out there and with inflation and everything else it feels like they are stealing my $. I did get the NSF fee reversed …1 agent sent me to lending for a “loan reimbursement” payment but of course that did not work out. The problem is there is not a way to tell if making a double payment in this scenario until it was too late. Usually the payment is taken out as soon as funds are available. The other ridiculous part is all the time, stress and energy spent to file a dispute that is with my own bank with the car loan at same bank when a reversal or reimbursement seems a bit simpler. Status still pending on my last dispute.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2022

My husband and I have been with USAA for years but they have really gone downhill. Their care for military is a thing of the past. Back in September we had a fraudulent charge with our checking so we called. Went through all the necessary steps to report it. 45 days later they reversed it causing our account to go negative and saying they found no evidence of fraud and it was our fault. Now we are being charged overdraft fees and it’s just ridiculous. Luckily my husband and I opened a new bank today that seems ready to serve our needs better than USAA can do. I never thought being a disabled vet family we’d be leaving USAA but they are really not what they use to be or stand for what they use to stand for.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2022

I joined USAA in the 80’s when they liked serving the military. I noticed their attitude and level of service take a noticeable shift about 11 years ago. That shift has caused me to find a better insurance company for ALL types and I have found much better policies for much less.They have mishandled my loans so I have paid them off. I have no debt to them and so I am in search of a bank that appreciates its members like they used to. It is offensive to this Veteran that they state that they serve the military when they really don’t.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

In September there was an unauthorized wired transfer of $9000 from my savings account. When I notified USAA I went through all the steps of changing my passwords and spoke to fraud dept which said it would take them a few days to investigate. I got a call from someone at usaa verifying what happened and they said it would take a few days. I waited about 1 week and never heard back. I called at least once a week and a rep said they are working on it and one rep said someone will call back in 24 hours never got that call. I called last night and the rep John said that my case was closed and the $1300 dollars that was put back in my account is all that I will get and the other reps did not want to tell me that.

I do not recommend anyone opening accts with this company because your money is not safe. I am just upset that no one has ever explained to me the reason for not be able to refund my money. Now I am currently in the process of closing all accounts I have. The way people are getting into bank accounts nowadays is scary. I have decided to put my money in a safe deposit box.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2022

On or about October 18/19 my wife and I called USAA to make them aware of 19 U.S. Treasury Checks that we received from the department of education. USAA increased our deposit limit to $ and instructed us to use their mobile deposit to deposit these checks. A day after the deposit our checking account was labeled with an esp code as if we were doing something fraudulent. This has been a nightmare. This was done with no notification and we had no prior knowledge of what was being done. All we want is for our account to be restored to its normal status.

After almost a month all the 19 U.S. treasury checks have cleared and been paid but USAA still refused to unrestrict our account. Why are we not allowed to know why our account is being restricted. When we asked, USAA told us they could not tell us why our account was being restricted. Are we being singled out because we are **? USAA can provide no evidence to support we have done anything fraudulent with regards to our deposits. Ever since Wayne Peacock has taken over all products and services have dropped off. If you are a Veteran RUN!!! because USAA is the worse bank to do business with. Rosa ** of the Ceo's team offers no solutions and she flat out does not care about the inconvenience customers experience.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2022

Their banking products are as bad as it gets. I needed to dispute a credit card charge and USAA did not at all care about me as a consumer and automatically sided with the merchant and hid behind hostile policy. There are a vast number of credit cards out there that will outclass consumer protection, or lack thereof, offered by USAA. I ended a 12 year loyal membership with them over one incident that really mattered to me. The one time I needed their help they let me down hard.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2022

My bank account was locked. The bank is telling me it has to do with the "Patriot Act" (A quick Google search says this has to do with terrorism). USAA required me to send in a picture of my photo ID, which doesn't even seem safe since so many people make fake IDs anyways. USAA says my account will be locked for 3 business days and I will have NO access to my money. I cannot buy diapers for my child, milk for my child, gas to get to work. The money that I worked for. USAA will not give me any other explanation as to why. I was never notified in advanced or asked for a copy of my ID prior to them locking my account. To the already struggling American population this puts such a burden on my family as my card was declined at the grocery store trying to buy necessities for my family. Not to mention it kept coming up with insufficient funds. That is embarrassing.

No one can/will give me a better answer other than "oh well". The USAA representatives refuse to transfer me to someone who can explain why this happened. This seems 100% unacceptable. A notification should have been sent via email/text PRIOR. (they say it was mailed but that would take 7-10 days to even reach me!). I cannot believe this is how Veterans are being treated by an organization that prides themselves on supporting Military, Veterans and Family. I have been with USAA for 15 YEARS!! There has to have been a better way to handle this. Not that they will care at all but as soon as my account is unlocked I will be taking my banking needs elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2022

I filed a fraudulent transaction complaint on October 4, 2022 with USAA just minutes after the fraud appears on my account. I was told it would be resolved in 3 business days. I called each day to check on the fraud. 5th and 6th I was told 3 days which would be the 7th. On the 7th I was told the first day was the 5th so it would be the 8th. On the 8th I heard nothing so I called on the 9th. I was then told the investigation would be 3 business days from the 6th. This is one week after I initially reported $800 being stolen from my account. In addition, USAA has been charging me insufficient funds fees and my utility companies are charging me additional fees for returned checks. USAA doesn’t care. USAA keeps delaying the investigation when the payment could have been stopped before it was even released. Worst bank ever.

USAA Banking Company Information