USAA Banking

San Antonio, TX

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I've noticed that USAA's App re: Web Bill Pay indicating a payment was "sent" on 2/8/17 but today is 2/7/17. Thought to call to advise this technical error but their cust serv employees really don't care trying to bluff their way through conversations avoiding understanding to improve the quality of their company's performance. Pointed out that improvements should be noticed but they really don't care. Spent 30 minutes with banking pointing out this tech error trying to empathize sending a ticket for improvements then bounced to Web Service Bill Pay to spend another 15 minutes again to point out this tech inefficiency only for them to really think it's not an issue of importance.

I mentioned my Chase credit cards system is accurate by sending notifications before, during & after payments received as a comparison to others systems. Had to again try to convince sending an IT ticket for potential remedy where their system shouldn't say "sent" before the day even exists. They're just kids trying to get through the work day not understanding businesses aren't perfect & improvements should be paid attention to but they really don't care. You can asked each customer service individuals a direct question & instead of answering questions directly they dilly dally around avoiding answering. Sad. Never got an answer if a ticket number had been generated for proper documentation.

Called back 2 more times where the USAA web services tech dept simply hung up the phone instead of assisting. Last time someone finally answered but the rep couldn't reference any ticket number being generated today after I already spent an hours worth of time to simply relay an issue for USAA's own improvements. Sad company being handled by individuals who really don't care what's going on just collecting their pay checks. Good luck.

I have been a member of USAA for 10 years and have always enjoyed my experiences with them. However, due to some unfortunate events in my life I had to declare bankruptcy. Not only do they bar you from getting full access to your account for SEVEN years, they will not issue you any new banking products (no new checking, savings accounts, nothing). I completely understand not wanting to give me a new credit card based on my lending history. My situation though, was entirely reasonable.

I made a large deposit from a retirement account (luckily you get to keep those in bankruptcy) into my checking account so I could pay a large legal bill. The bill I needed to pay was larger than my $3,000 daily spending limit and due to my bankruptcy, they refused to increase my limit (even temporarily, as I explained I just needed to pay one bill and then they could drop it back down). The rep on the phone could clearly see that I had more than enough cash sitting in my checking account and yet would not let me access MY OWN MONEY because of my bankruptcy. They said that increasing my daily spending limit would be impossible for 7 years. This ended up causing huge problems for me, as being unable to have access to my own cash to pay this bill set in motion a very negative chain of events.

How could this organization which prides themselves on taking care of military families refuse to help them put their financial lives back together after a bankruptcy? I can't even get a secured credit card with them (the one where you pay them a deposit equal to your spending limit) for 7 more years! But worse, they won't let me access my own cash! How can you trust a bank that won't let you access your own money? I will be closing all my accounts immediately.

I have been with USAA for almost 40 years. Today we made the decision to move everything bank accounts, insurance, etc. out of USAA after a very bad experience with an overcharge on our daughter's debit card. Our daughter used her debit card at a store in the amount of $40.20 (she signed receipt). At the time she signed the receipt the amount was correct. When the debit was posted it was posted in the amount of $14,481.00. We immediately called the store and they issued a credit. It took one week for USAA to refund the money back to the account. They used every excuse in the book--saying at one time she authorized the charge. Totally not true. Since there is a $3,000 purchase limit by signature on a debit card we are having trouble understanding how this problem ever occurred.

USAA should have never allowed this charge to go through the account. What is more troubling is how difficult it was to get them to credit her account. USAA kept saying they did not have the refund authorization after the store offered to fax them a copy of the refund authorization. They insisted that the store issue another refund. Magically after our conversation with USAA and the store involved the money gets credited to the account. We have been told that USAA could have refunded that money immediately but chose not to do so. This left our daughter with no access to her checking or savings accounts for a week. No bills could be paid, no groceries, no gas, etc. It left her in quite a bind. I am sorry that USAA has chosen to do business like this. We are moving everything out of USAA and both daughters and their families are moving their accounts also. Not the same company it was a few years ago.

I am business owner who has used car dealership and offer service to USAA members. USAA offer Dealers Electronic Check as guaranty payment for members. On this form say that funds will be released within 24 hours of receipt of the form (Dealer electric Check) at USAA. All documents was faxed and verified of receipt by USAA on the 20th and today is 30th and no funds yet. Start calling on the 24th and getting the same respond that will get funded within 24 to 48 hours! What can you do and where can you go to get resolutions? Dealers beware of accepting these electronic checks, means nothing. I would have understand if there is any problem or issue with my transaction but holding my 17K money and not giving me a clear answer for the reason is a mystery!

An employer of mine provided 3 checks as payment – and each one bounced – total loss $6650. It took USAA 7 days to let me know the first check was not valid!!! In addition, when talking to a representative at USAA she convinced me to move my $10,000 savings from Chase to USAA when I explained I was concerned that my Chase account had been compromised also. USAA then proceeded to take a portion of my $10,000 and use it to cover the $6650 of bounced checks. Since when are we responsible for criminals who give us bad checks? They labeled it as a SCAM instead of FRAUD, and got themselves covered so they had zero losses. Further, they said now they are not responsible for helping get the money back. Really? To address this I must work with the local law enforcement, which I was doing anyway, however they are extremely busy and this avenue DOES NOT RELEASE USAA.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

I've been with USAA for 7 years. Mom was Air Force, so she got me the account when I went off to school so I could have a debit card and not just deal with cash. That being said, they treat me like a criminal, an idiot, and a person with buckets of money to just fling around. Several things have gone on. Firstly, I have their mobile app. I check my balance regularly. REGULARLY. Like every few hours! I'll check before I go grocery shopping and have $500. I'll spend $50. I'll come out and be overdrawn the next day without spending another penny after that. Why? "Oh, well your previous purchases have just processed!" Umm... It's a debit card. This is a mobile app. These things are supposed to reflect changes in real time.

I've had about 10 different issues with fraudulent ATM withdrawals in the past six months. They put the money back, but it takes forever. They also shut off my debit card (for good reason), but unless I remind them that it's my ONLY way of paying for things right now, they try to ship it via regular mail.I. E. It takes "7-10 business days" to get here. Tack on a weekend, and it's two weeks before I can spend a single penny of my own money. So I tell them they need to make it priority mail. Okay. 2-3 business days. Except today is Friday, which means I won't get it until Wednesday or Thursday. Without even asking if I need to withdraw cash first, the representative I'm on the phone with about this crap just shuts down the debit card. I have about an eighth of a tank of gas, $5 cash, and almost no food in my apartment. How exactly am I expected to eat, get to work, and buy groceries? They don't care. "The process is irreversible. Thanks."

The saga continues! They willy-nilly decide when they will put a hold on my funds. I deposit checks through the mobile app because I live nowhere near a physical location of theirs. Usually it's no problem. In fact, my boyfriend got a $2400 check and signed it over to me. I deposited that via mobile with zero issues. A few months later, I have a $50 check to deposit. They try to put a hold on my account. Umm... "Thanks, but I need this money NOW in order to pay YOU for my credit card bill!" They keep doing this lately. I call to try to understand when and why they put holds on things. The guy just keeps saying that USAA reserves the right to do that when the computer's algorithm says to. No details. Nothing. Then I say, "But you're not explaining anything. I need to know what situations make this happen so I can avoid them when I'm in a hurry!" He hangs up.

I'm sick and tired of paying bills only to have USAA wait 7+ days to actually make the payment. By that time, I've assumed the money has come out and buy my gas and groceries as usual. Then I overdraft. Then the payment bounces, and whomever I'm paying charges me a fee for insufficient funds. Then USAA charges me overdraft fees on top of that even though they are the ones doing this to me. Multiple times in the last few months, I have found myself donating plasma in desperation for some money to eat and buy gas because my account was in the negative even though I had several hundred dollars less than twelve hours prior.

It gets better, though! I had just moved last July, and my previous landlord basically extorted me for $1200. Then one of my housemates stole $300 cash from me, so I'm out $1500 plus whatever I spent moving out of the old and into the new. I'm in orientation for my new job, and I decide to check my account to see how much I can spend on gas that day. I'm in the negative. Why? So I call them up while I'm supposed to be working, and they keep running me in circles. I finally figure out that although I spent money at Walmart DAYS ago, the money is JUST NOW coming out of my account. Again.

So there's no way to remedy that, so I say, "I'm desperate. I have nothing, and I need to drive 40 minutes one way to orientation every day this week. My first paycheck doesn't come for another 2.5 weeks." The woman suggests a personal loan. "How much are you looking to borrow?" I say, "$1,000 at most!" Silence. "Oh, well our smallest loans start at $2500, but you could borrow that much and immediately pay off what you don't need." "Alright. Let's do it." "Oh, sorry. You're being denied due to insufficient credit history." I've been a customer for SEVEN YEARS, and I had just gotten the credit card a year and a half ago. Not a single payment had been late up until that point, and I would pay off the entire balance every time. But sorry, that's not good enough for USAA!

She then suggests I try to open a second credit card with them and happily transfers me to the correct department. The next woman runs my information through and once again, I am denied. Except this time they don't explain. I'm just not qualified enough for a second credit card, so I get to starve and lose my new job because I can't get to it without gas in my car. It all managed to work out, but I had to borrow money from my family to make things work. It was terrible. I can't wait to find a new (hopefully local) bank to do my business with. USAA has stolen enough of my time, sanity, energy, and (most importantly) money. You should be ashamed of yourselves, USAA.

When I had just graduated college and commissioned, I was moving so I did a loan through USAA. If I could go back in time, I would have never taken it out. I had to go through so much just to get someone to actually help me with getting the loan. Every time I would call, I got taken around in loops just to get the loan. Getting the loan required me to open an account with them. One day, while I was out, they mysteriously shut my card off. I called them several times to get the issue taken care of and again no one was able to help me. After a week, I finally managed to get someone to help. Once I finish paying this loan off with them, I AM DONE WITH USAA! I STRONGLY RECOMMEND TO ANYONE WHO IS READING REVIEW TO STAY AWAY! THEY ARE A TERRIBLE ORGANIZATION!

Worse customer service I have ever encountered. Opened Checking & Savings account 1 month ago. Still have not received checks ordered same time opened account. With apologies from two different representatives on two separate calls, I still have not received correct check order. That's just one simple issue I have experienced. Don't know how people can be confident in the handling of their funds by these goofballs. Closing all my accounts with this poor excuse of a financial institution, especially after reading all of these complaints from customers that have experienced far worse than what I have gone through.

I have been with USAA since 2001 and have been a loyal customer since then. What happened recently made me so disgusted with them as I have never experienced this before. I opened a checking and saving account around May of 2016. Approx September or October I attempted to transfer 200 dollars several time and the app makes mistakes and keep telling me bank administrator. I had money in my account, and I was dealing with a health problem so I did not call them right away. Well when I finally decided to call them they told me that my account was charged off. I told them "How could that happen if I had money in my account."

I spoke to several supervisor that did not help me. As well as one of the supervisor further looked into my account and transferred me to another department and told me that there was a block on my account from 2003 because USAA has not transitioned my account from the old system to the new system that they had. They said that I scheduled a payment with a tablet which I don't have. I always pay via the phone. Well they reverses all the overdraft charges but the account charge off still remained. Even if a payment was prompted if I was allowed to transfer money in my account this would have never happened. And to top it off the supervisor told me that after the payment was reverse that this would not affect me in any way. She then proceeded to tell me just open another checking account. She is a supervisor in banking and should have advised me to wait a few weeks before attempting to open a new checking account.

She send me to open a new account and I was denied opening a checking account because of unfavorable business with a financial institution. When I called them back to get this resolved because the bank made the error, they did nothing. I am so upset and disgusted with this situation. Banks do what they want and they don't have any accountability for what they do.

My son signed up for a checking and savings account with USAA when he joined the Army. Upon signing up he gave them permission to take a total of $50 out of his joint account with me at huntington $25 to start each account... Well he's goes to boot camp unable to have any contact with me or anyone from the outside world and I notice they took $50 out twice and $25 out 4 times.

I call them thinking they are military friendly and said there must be a mistake. You don't have to give me any information but please look into this and make it right. They tell me my son needs to call?! "Ma'am he is in basic training and I don't know if I will speak to him for 3 months! I just want to let you know something is wrong on your end and they are taking money out of my account." She says "I can't help you"... click! If I didn't catch it how long would have it went on? In 3 months from now would he even have noticed? How many others have they done this to who weren't still on their parents' accounts? I would let my Dog do business with them. If I could give them negative stars I would... They don't deserve 1!

In six years of banking with USAA I cannot remember ever overdrafting. I know what I have in my account, and if there is an issue I deposit to cover it or I move money from my savings over to cover it. Lately, they have been shuffling transactions. Yesterday, I checked my account balance while at Target on my mobile app. I had $620 in there. I spent $100. I knew my car payment was scheduled, so I went home and moved $98 from savings to checking. I had $718 in my account when I went to bed and $0 in my savings.

My account was sure busy overnight. I woke up to a $98 balance. All of the transactions for my car payment and a few other bills are now showing as processed yesterday. The account overdrafted yesterday, and $48 was moved from savings to checking to cover it, yesterday. The transfer I made from savings to checking to cover my Target purchase is showing today. This overdrafted my savings also, and now that is showing a negative balance of $48.

How exactly do transactions happen and then not show up on an account until the next day, complete with overdraft fees and shuffling? It is truly amazing the lengths USAA is going to, to steal ($70 in this case since they managed to overdraft two accounts with their transaction shuffling) money from us. I spoke to Joshua ** in the CEO's office and he informed me that USAA processes transactions from highest to lowest (this practice is called shuffling and harms the consumer intentionally to incur the maximum amount of overdraft fees for the bank). I had to explain why I was so upset about four times before he understood the issue, and then he proceeded to hang up on me. I tried to call back and got voicemail.

This is a bank marketed to active duty and veteran service members. As such, they should hold themselves to a higher standard. They used to. In the last six months they have gone straight downhill. I am working on finding a new bank, and I would recommend that every other USAA member do the same. These practices are egregious. I am looking for a class action attorney in Arizona, and I have screenshots to show this retroactive account rearranging. I am a disabled veteran and the stress these practices are causing me is unpardonable.

We have a checking account with them. We direct deposit our paychecks but sometimes if we need to put cash in the account we will use a money order. They place a hold on your funds. They are the worst bank I have dealt with. We cancelled our car insurance, homeowners insurance and are in the process of closing the checking account!! Don't bank with them. To think they are a military bank too!

I have Been a Customer for 19 Years with Four USAA Products. They Cancelled my Credit Card and I had it set on auto deduct from their Bank. I missed one Payment for a day or so. They said it wouldn't have closed for that The Real Problem was with their System Algorithm. Their minimum payment wasn't high enough on my CD secured credit card for the interest on the card made making my balance go over my limit. "Their" set minimum. So their set regulated minimum payment should have been higher to offset that. But they set the minimum and I was paying it automatically out of my account their own bank.

I did not know this was going on until I called them with another problem with my checking account and during the call I asked them about how to up the payment amount on my card so I could pay it off faster. I had tried a couple of times earlier but it was so hidden in their website I could not find it. At that point they notified me that that card had been Closed. They could not see why as I payed it every month out of my USAA checking Automatically and they said the one time I was a day or so late they said that would have not closed it. She sent me supervisor and it went up and up and up the chain to Executive Resolution. They all agree that that should not have been closed. They said they would have to investigate it further and would call me back.

Well that phone call was over an hour long and I had to call 7 more times over 8 months and the same things happened. I nobody helped me. They all lied to me wasted my time. Said they would call back, did so, I was by the phone - their game is to let it ring and then hang up so by the time you answer you have a missed call but it shows on their end that they tried to call.

So After more than Seven hours of angering phone calls wasting my time away from my Job. They did not end up doing anything to resolve their mistake. This whole thing started in about April of last year. I put it aside as I was going to get my lawyer on it, but I couldn't find the time to get all docs together and frankly didn't want to waste more energy and anger on this.

So now it is Christmas Eve Eve 2016 and I call because I am still making the payments on a card I cannot use and that has affected my credit showing I have a closed account. Today I called to change the date those payments come out of my account... and they told me I could not! Because the card was closed! Right now I am seething! I Told them the whole story again. It's all in the notes. I told them I don't deserve to be treated this way after 19 years and having car insurance sometimes on 3 cars + Renters Insurance + Banking 1 + Credit Card. Today they said the same thing after being on the phone with them for over an hour and seething agree, I told them am going to sue and also for suffering through all this jerking around they did to me. THEN ALL OF THE SUDDEN SOMEONE SAID - "Oh I see here you were late one time for two months"!!! that is a Flat out Lie!!!

I got that card to improve my credit and I would not have done that and did not do that and every person out of 7 calls and seven hours and probably like 35 people never said that until I "Threatened"! to sue. They said it was my fault and that they can clearly see it. The girl today said "Oh I was just looking at this year 2016 but this happened back in 2015. I didn't go back that far." BULL. This whole thing started with my call for almost a year, and EVERY person probably out of 35 people I talked to as it went up the chain of supervisors, every time. Never once did someone say that I was Late for over two months. And even that it was easily Seen! I Have had a lot of problems with USAA Bank As Well spending more hours on the phone with them. Worst customer service surpassing Cable companies!

Bank constantly plays with checking account dates and balances to charge max fees as possible. Call into the bank customer service they can never answer your question. Total rip-off of military and former military - selling their services veteran-friendly when really they're just a scam.

To be a military banking service, it sure is difficult to receive approval for a personal loan to consolidate debt from USAA. I recently bought a home, and I wanted to utilize a personal loan from USAA to pay off a credit card and a furniture loan. The interest rates are killing me for these 2 debts, 16.5% and 21%. I know my credit score is not the best of the best, but it is not bad either. I make sure I pay my bills every months too. So, it would be nice if USAA would take the extra leap to help Veterans like myself instead of letting the computer decide for them.

As a Real Estate agent, I am tired of trying to save deals that USAA drops. The buyers are always frustrated and even in tears at times, because their customer service is absolutely horrible. They keep changing loan service people several times. You never know, who you are talking to. Sometimes they just disappear or get fired! Loans get dropped right before closing. Please DO NOT ever use USAA or any other online lenders for your home loan! Ever! Local lender will stay with you from the beginning to end and they will make the process nice and smooth. Take it from a Realtor!

On September 27th, 2016 I begin the home refinance process with USAA under the VA streamline or IRRRL program. After comparing and checking with various competitors, the decision to go with USAA was based on several factors (one of which was not the lowest interest rate as several other competitors offered a lower rate). The process kept having snags, questions and challenging aspects from the very beginning. The issues ranged from issues with credit to status of current mortgage to divorce decree validation and proof (I am not divorced so the fact this documentation was being requested should have been the red flag to bail).

After months of underwriter rejections and problem after painful problem and personal hours of negotiating and acting as my own representative with my current mortgage company on behalf of USAA (due to their inability to execute simple, everyday mortgage refinance requirements) I finally thought the end was in sight.

On Tuesday, 29 November I was notified by the mortgage processor from USAA that only two more things were required for the process to move on to the final step and then closing. First, there was a requirement to conduct a 3-way conference call (the 3rd such call requesting the exact same information) with a third party contractor with my current mortgage company, working on behalf of USAA to verify no late payments for the last 12 months. The call went without a hitch and the status of the account was verified with no missed or late payments for the last twelve months.

Second, was a payoff statement, the second one within the last two weeks. I personally called my current mortgage company and expedited the process and had the statement in my possession within 30 minutes. Even though USAA had verbal and written 3rd party authorization to this information, they could never obtain the payoff statement without my intervening. I spoke with my mortgage processor from USAA on Wednesday, 30th of November to verify all required actions and paperwork was in receipt. She assured me all was set and ready to go back over to the underwriters for final review. On Thursday morning, approximately 9:30 am, I received a phone call informing me that underwriting had rejected the loan because my wife was NOT on the title and that the entire process needed to start over. WHAT!?! I could NOT believe what I had just heard!

This process was now in the third month and just now someone notices that my wife in not on the title therefore making all the efforts and time spent worthless, null, and void. Probably the most frustrating aspect of the entire debacle is that my locked in interest rate from September of 2.875% no longer exists. I sent an interest lock extension request on Friday, 02 December in an effort to protect my rate as my current lock does not expire until the 12th of December. So far, I have received no response. USAA is a financial institution specifically designed to cater to and provide specialized and customized service to men and women in the military. After 21 years of faithful and dedicated service to my country, this is the treatment that I receive. I have never been so disappointed with ANY service received from a company in the course business negotiations in my 53 years of existence.

I opened a USAA Bank account from my father, my account was closed and the money that was in my account will be mailed to me. I informed the customer service rep that the particular address on file I am no longer there because I had a house fire prior to this issue. She made a note in the system however they did send it to the address I requested them not to send to.

Call after call, checking to see if it was cashed they then informed me I had to wait 90 days for a stop payment to be issued and for another check to be sent to me. I wait those somewhat 90 days on 11/7/2016 I called USAA regarding my money for them to tell me I had to fill out a DOL form. Fax that information over. On 11/8/2016 USAA issued a check to me on 11/14/2016. I received that check and mobile deposited it into my account on 11/15/2016. On 11/19/2016 I go to my account and the money was deducted from my account. When I called my bank she informed me it was a stop payment on that check and to reach out to USAA regarding it. Once I did this USAA tells me the check is good and there is no stop payment on the check to go inside the branch and deposit the check with a teller.

On Monday I did just that and yet again that Friday it bounced so not only am I negative in my account, I am also getting fees for returned check. When I called USAA again, they are telling me the same thing, no stop payment on that check. Blah Blah! However they will reach out to Chase Bank regarding the check. They will call me on Monday. However Monday rolled around and no one called. I called them for them to tell me again there is no stop payment on the check and it's under investigation.

Tuesday, 11/29/2016 I faxed over documentation to USAA stating this is a stop payment on this check and I will not wait another 90 days for their mistake. When I did this I called to make sure they received that doc and LO and behold someone then says after reviewing this information when you did the DOL on 11/7/2016. There was another one on 11/9/2016 that has this check number on there. We are working with Chase Bank to reverse the hold and it will take a total of 2 business days. However in the midst of this what do I do regarding those fees and this check that my bank no longer has because of USAA? THIS COMPANY SUCKS AND I WISH I NEVER HAD ANY DEALINGS WITH THEM!!

I am writing a review of USAA Banking because of my mother. Since my father passed away in August 2016, a family member decided that he was going to invest my mother's money without her consent. When my mother went to her bank and requested assistance in getting her money ($46,000.00) back from USAA, USAA assured her that she would have her money back within a week. It has now been one month. Every time we speak with a USAA Agent, we are told that we should hear something within 3 days. Three days being the magic number for USAA.

All they do is question my mother about past births and employment, and then nobody can give her a definite date as to when she will get her money back. They didn't have any problem accepting her money. Why is there such a problem returning this elderly woman's money? All they do is make her cry. This should not be happening. This is a horrible way to treat an elderly woman who is grieving the loss of a husband, and was being scammed by a family member. Shame on USAA!!!

For over 30 years I have been able to get the lowest rates through dozens of different banks. USAA shows their best rates for excellent credit. Several years ago I called USAA about a loan and they quoted me the lowest rate as advertised on their website. I wrote down the info. I called USAA about a week later to get the loan. The customer service rep told me they could give me a rate that was about 1% higher than what they quoted me. I questioned them and told them I wrote down the previous loan amount and asked them to listen to the phone conversation which they recorded. They ended up giving me the rate they originally quoted me.

Fast forward to recent weeks. I viewed rates for excellent credit and applied on a Sunday through the internet. Within 5 minutes it gave me a tentative quote. The rate was higher so I called USAA. The customer service person told me that she cannot give me the excellent credit website rate because the computer generated rate is what I get. I asked her why and it was like pulling teeth to get an answer, which she got off the computer generated response. The responses were so ridiculous. I have never been told and denied higher rates for those reasons in 30+ years. The customer service person finally told me that if I can get a lower rate at another bank, that they could probably lower my rate to what they offered. I said "really", that makes no sense. (How about giving me the lowest rate right now). Right now I feel that the loan department is a shady operation. The bottom line is that I will go elsewhere to get a loan.

I was never told that if you use your debit card at an ATM that mind you not DOES NOT charge you a fee but after 10 uses at the free ATM USAA will start charging you $2 per ATM use. It's pretty sad when a bank that I don't even bank with doesn't charge me a fee but the bank I have 3 accounts with does!!! USAA is a horrible, horrible Bank. In 2 years I've had nothing but problems with them. I'd rather pay a bank $100 a month for an account fee than to stay with joke USAA Federal Savings Bank!!!

So my husband was very excited to start a USAA checking account since we already have car insurance through them. It's been hell. He opened it up and deposited his paycheck. They decided to hold it for a week. We had no debit cards cause they took 10 days to speed it to us and just gave us one, so now either me or hubby has no debit card. Not to mention the checks never showed, and they said they were free and they weren't.

Now here we are onto his second paycheck and automatically it's being held for a week. And the kicker is it's not in our account, even as being held and so who knows where it is. Thousands of dollars just poof. They told hubby they don't see it anyways. So now we're in Limbo and I'm having to re deposit his check into our shared local bank. What a mess. We're in the middle of buying a house and this is just crazy. They hold everyone's money and get away with this? I don't understand how they even have customers. Hubby works his butt off just to not get his money and now in this case 0.00? So we are withdrawing our remaining funds out of this new checking account and will NEVER EVER use them again. I highly warn anyone against using them.

I received a letter in the mail today concerning an Amendment to USAA Federal Savings Bank Depository Agreement and Disclosure. The letter states, for inactive accounts greater than a year "FSB may be required to turn over account funds to the state if the account remains inactive... FSB reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to refuse withdrawals or transfers from inactive accounts." In other words, USAA can steal your money if you do not make a withdrawal or a deposit within one year. I called a representative about this matter, and he confirmed this change. I asked the representative what is the state, and he said it was the Federal Government. I have savings accounts for my children for college that have little activity. I am going to stop banking with USAA because of this. I will continue to use their insurance services.

Back in August 9 2016, I realize something suspicious was going on with my account while I was at work. When I check it I had a large lump sum of money in it. At that moment I was happy, because I thought my VA disability compensation was finalized and I received my back pay. The next morning I got up for work I realized my debit card was missing and didn't know what happen to it. I looked around my house and in my vehicles and didn't find it. So when I got to work, I went online and reported my debit card missing. Once I finished that I took another look at my checking account and that's when I realized that the money that was in my account the day before was missing. It had been withdrawn from two banks in Chicago, Illinois, that I was later told by the representatives from USAA, but in my Saving I notice that there was $5000 in it.

This had me confused and I didn't know what's was going on, but I did know that that money didn't belong in my Saving Account because I didn't put it there. So I started changing all my online password, security question and called USAA to report suspicious things going on with my account. I told them about the money that was in my Checking Account that was there that day and withdrawn by the next day and I also told them about the money that was in my Saving Account. They said they would take a look at it and call me back. They locked my accounts for security reason while they investigated, so I had no access to my account.

I waited a few days for their call and never heard anything back, so I call them. After being on hold for long periods of times and being transferred to 10 different Representatives, someone finally explained to me that it was fraud on my account and that they were send it to the fraud department to be look at and that I should hear from them in a week. I then explain to them that I had money in that account and I need access. They said, that's not going to happen, due to security reason, my account was locked and that I would hear from them in a week. I said ok, so I waited a week no call, so I decide to wait a few more days, still no call, so I decide to go ahead and call them.

After long periods of waits, they finally directed me to the fraud department and start explaining what they believe had happen. They went on by saying that checks which were money order from Hawaii was deposit into my Checking and Saving Account and then withdrawn in Chicago. I asked how was that possible I stay in Texarkana, Texas. They said somehow some way someone got my information, deposited checks in my account through the mobile and withdrew the money. So at this time I'm upset not think straight because my money from the VA is about to go direct deposit into that account and my check from my job. So I asked what's going to happen to my account and they said more than likely it's going to be closed and that I should filed a police report and that someone from the fraud department will be calling me back in a couple of days to explain in detail what's going on.

Once again I'm waiting on them to call me and while I'm waiting I go file a police report. That next day I get a letter in the mail from USAA saying, "We can no longer do business with you, after we determine that you deposited fraudulent checks in your account". That the trust between myself and the bank had been broken and that effectively October 23, 2016, USAA auto insurance and Homeowner insurance can no longer do business with me. So from me being a victim of identity theft, USAA turned it all around and blame me, said it was my fault for what happen. I called them to speak to someone about this matter. After being hung up on 3 times and on hold longer than 30 minutes, I was finally able to talk to someone.

With me being angry at this time I asked them why in the hell would I fraud myself. I had been with USAA for 8 years. I have a Checking account, a Saving account, my truck is financed through them, I have auto and homeowner insurance through them and my VA checks and checks from my job are directly deposited into my account, so why would I do that to myself knowing it's a federal crime, plus I works for the federal government. They start explaining maybe I gave my information out to a stranger in return of getting money. I told them do they think I'm that stupid that I would give out my information for something that would ruin me, my credit and my job, and that they wasn't making any sense.

Then they said well it got out somehow and their decision is final. They said that they wasn't going to argue because USAA and their system has never been breached and that it doesn't matter what I say the decision is final. So I ask if they were going to even take the police report, they said yes and gave me a fax number to send it to. I faxed the police report to them and put attention to fraud department and then call back asking about my money that went into that account. The representative told me that my money that was direct deposited into that account is now part of them collecting the fraud. At this moment, I'm upset so I tell them if they going to accuse me of something that I didn't do that they can at least give me copies of all the fraudulent checks so I can give them to police.

The representative said they would and asked how would I like to receive them. I said fax them to me and they agreed, so I give them the fax number and then they put me on hold for about 20 minutes and then gets back on the phone and says it's going to take a couple days before I can receive them. I asking them what's the purpose of me giving you the fax number if you can't fax it to me today. They went on talking about thing like these take time to fax out, basically give me a bunch of bologna, so I hung up and report that conversation to the police because I felt like they were doing something suspicious. A couple of days go by and copies of the fraud checks come in the mail but it was only 3 of them, so called back to see why I didn't receive all them.

The representative said that that was all they could send. I told them that wasn't what I was told when I asked for them. Then they said well that is it and I said fine and I asked did they receive the police report I faxed them. They put me on hold for 30 minutes and then said no, they haven't receive anything and asked where did I send it to. I told them the Fraud Department where they told me to send it. They put me on hold for another 20 minutes and said, "No we didn't receive anything", and I told them that it was strange because I have a confirmation page saying that you received it but I can send it again. They said, "No that's ok, we really don't need a police report and if we do we can get one online".

So after talking to them, I took the copies of the fraudulent checks and a copy of the confirmation page to the police station and told them that I request copies of all the fraudulent checks but they only sent me 3 and the detective said that's fine, since they won't send it, they will subpoena it and other information. I realize a lot of people out there think USAA is just the greatest bank in world because of their low insurance, well I did too. People please don't get fool by USAA, they are crooks and you may say to yourself that this will never happen to you, because USAA treats you good. Well that is their job until something like this happen. I have never been hung up on, put on hold and disrespect by anybody or company like I have with USAA after this identity theft happen and it never happen before then with them, so that should tell everyone something. USAA is for USAA.

I have never done banking with USAA, but I do have car insurance, renter's insurance, roadside assistance, and jewelry insurance with them. I have insurance on both of the cars and I pay them $63 a month. They are cheap if you own your car and don't have an auto loan. I also have dental insurance from a third party they referred me to. The dental insurance for both my husband and I are only $56 total. It covers 80% of regular dental, 50% emergency or irregular cost, as well as 2 free cleanings and exams a year. Also, 1 x-ray a year. I don't want to switch my bank I have right now and the only reason why I am not banking with them. My brother is active duty and loves USAA banking and is very easy for him to use. My dad has used it too.

Recently received an email (9/28/16) from USAA about changing their debit card system from Mastercard to Visa. The email stated that I could use the old card until November 11-16. On October 3rd (4 days later), I tried to use the card at a ATM machine at my local bank - the card was rejected. Called USAA, their representative stated that the bank closed the Mastercard system early... If I needed a card, they would express mail me one. Now I am left with no card. There are going to be more unhappy customers at USAA. USAA has great auto insurance, but I question their banking... this is from a former Asst Federal bank examiner. Have original email and ATM rejection slips.

I have been a member of USAA for 32 years. I have enjoyed their car insurance, customer service and mortgage service in the past. But as of today, I would like to close all my accounts with them. I have banking, savings, mortgage, car insurance, and life insurance all with USAA. Today, I had to deal with their new mortgage server, Nationstar. First, they are a debt collector and state that firstly as you are being connected. I was reaching out to find what had happen to our Loss Department claim, that I had flied with them on 12 August of this year. We had hail damage from a hail storm in July. Nationstar did not have any claim on file. Nationstar started to question why I had sent the check and documentation to the other service company instead of Nationstar, I explained they had not been the USAA Mortgage service company at the time of claim.

Nationstar then explained they would have to restart the claim. Although Nationstar had found where my check had been deposited. They proceeded to state that they needed extra documentation completed other than what I had done previously. I asked why I had to start over when the claim had been filed 12 August and now it was the 30th of September. Because Nationstar lacked documentation. As I pointed out USAA had received the documentation because they had deposited the check; the check was in the packet of documentation I had sent to USAA. So seeing it was not fault of mine that they lost the documentation at the turnover of servers. I do not see why Nationstar could not release 40% of funds so I could pay my roof contractor. But I was informed the funds would be held by Nationstar until I resubmitted the required documentation. I spent 30 minutes speaking with this group of debt collectors.

I feel completely abandon by USAA. Called USAA banking/Mortgage to file a complaint and was told by the gentleman I was speaking with that he had spoken with Nationstar over 200 times and the experience was great and all mortgage companies identify as debt collectors. I explained I have had four mortgages in my life and not once until today did they ever identify as a debt collector. So with all this said, I now must start all over with my claim and resubmit all documentation plus the two new documents Nationstar requires. I have a new roof but cannot pay the roofer as of today. I looked of reviews for Nationstar and found that they had a one star rating for the last four years. I do not know why USAA hired them to buy their Mortgage server with this low of a rating. I am now looking for a new mortgage company.

My father opened up an account about 2 months ago. I then opened an account about 1 1/2 months ago. Applied for insurance and everything went well. I applied for a credit card a few days ago and was denied a credit card and apparently the collections department has issued for USAA to never do business with me again. I have never had a bank account with USAA and neither has my father. My father didn't even apply for a bank account, credit card, etc. and he has the same lock on his account. How can their collections department block my account? I haven't even been with them long enough to be sent to the collections department? This has my father and myself both completely unable to get into our accounts, so we cannot even access our car insurance info.? Thanks for serving your country! Ha.

After weeks of providing documents, resending them, not hearing from anyone until they were closing and then only by an alert on USAA.com, I literally thought the next thing they were going to ask for was my DNA. They wouldn't kindly EXPLAIN what they needed. The rep had a very condescending attitude. She would tell me she had all she needed and at the end of day as she was leaving, send me another message "I need more", and explain it in a way as I was stupid and didn't do what she asked. I finally said to her today as I was crying and about to lose it, "Just tell me if you don't want to give me a loan. We are closing on our house in 3 weeks and are going to be homeless." We are going to go with another bank. SO disappointed in USAA. Should have read all the negative reviews online first. We have been with them 30 years and I am so disgusted we may just move all our banking/insurance somewhere else.

I have been a USAA member for over 15 years but I am disturbed by a lot of these negative reviews. I have also experienced some recent negative events involving USAA. I have an auto loan with USAA and had the loan for over two years before I fell two months behind my car loan due to lack of income. Eventually, I was able to catch up on the delinquent payments.

Despite having done so, USAA still shows me past due for the delinquency even after payments have posted and the money having already cleared the account! I continue to get pestered by collections on my account. I have also spoken to a number of agents who have all provided conflicting information on my account with some saying that I am current with nothing past due while collections is telling me something different. Even when I log into my USAA account it accurately shows all my payments but it shows my account as past due. I have attempted to get this resolved by a number of agents who either passed me along to someone else or the person was simply incompetent to resolve the issue. I can't believe that a bank can be so inept in reconciling and updating their records!

I used to brag about USAA but after this experience I cannot wait to pay off my loan and move on. I really can't believe the stories I'm reading on this site about USAA. Yes, the customer service is really horrible with some of the agents getting really passive aggressive in their tone. There is no sense of their ability to problem solve an issue without having the repeat what the customer already knows (ie "you're past due"). And based on what I've read in these reviews from others it is apparent that there's a serious issue going on and no one in senior leader has taken an interest to really get to the bottom of the matter. Shame on USAA on how they treat their military members, vets, retirees, and their families!

USAA Banking Company Profile