USAA Banking

San Antonio, TX

1.7/5 (51 ratings)

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About USAA Banking

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military. The company has auto coverage options for all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers several coverage and discount options for drivers, as well as their vehicles and passengers.

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

Pros

• No minimum balance requirements
    • More than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs
    • Competitive APY

Cons

• Strict eligibility requirements
    • Few branch locations

Bottom Line

USAA is one of the few banks that doesn’t charge monthly service fees for checking and savings accounts. If you’re eligible for an account, you can get access to competitive APY rates.

Top USAA Banking Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Verified

USAA, for those of us eligible, is a fantastic bank... My accounts have no fees but I'm unsure if that's because I'm retired active duty (started account while AD) or if all accou...

Verified

The downside to an online bank is a lack of brick and mortar locations when you need a sum of cash that exceeds the daily withdrawal limit, a cashiers check... The customer servic...

What is USAA Bank?

USAA is a members-only bank for active-duty military personnel, veterans and those who have close family ties to military personnel. USAA offers a wide selection of financial services, including checking and savings accounts, credit cards and loans for cars, homes and personal expenditures. Members can also manage their financial assets with fixed-rate CDs that have flexible terms.

USAA online banking helps members save time and money with online bill pay and a suite of free budgeting tools. USAA members can send and receive money using the USAA bank app, Zelle, and deposit checks from their phones.

USAA financial services

USAA banking services include both checking and savings accounts. USAA offers two checking accounts — USAA Classic Checking and USAA Youth Spending. USAA Youth Spending is a checking account with parental controls for people less than 18 years old. Classic Checking and Youth Spending have no monthly service fees or minimum balance requirements. Checking accounts require a $25 deposit to open.

USAA loan services offer home mortgages and loans for cars, motorcycles, RVs, boats and personal lines of credit. USAA Bank has several mortgage options, including 15- and 30-year conventional loans, VA loans and jumbo loans. USAA’s wealth management services include two savings account options. Savings accounts require no minimum balance and do not have any monthly service fees. USAA's financial planning services offer CD terms ranging from 30 days to seven years with fixed rates for one, two and five years.

USAA Banking FAQ

Who can open a USAA bank account?
    Any active or former military member or person who is an eligible family member can open a USAA banking account.
    What ATMs are free with USAA?
    Members have access to more than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs nationwide. Any USAA Bank-owned ATM is free for USAA members. Members get 10 free ATM withdrawals each month at non-USAA Bank ATMs, and USAA refunds members up to $15 per month for non-USAA Bank ATM charges.
    How can I deposit money into my USAA account?
    You can use the USAA mobile app to deposit checks into your account from anywhere. You can also deposit money into your account at select USAA ATMs and branch locations.
    Can I join USAA if my grandfather served?
    No. Only widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of USAA members who joined before or during the marriage can join USAA. Individuals whose parents are USAA members are also eligible.
    Can you open a second checking account with USAA?
    Yes. You can open a checking account with a $25 deposit. USAA does not require you to maintain a minimum balance after opening your account.
    Where is USAA Bank located?
    USAA Bank is based in San Antonio, Texas. USAA has five physical locations, which are located in Texas, Colorado, New York, Maryland and at West Point Military Academy in New York. However, USAA has more than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs in the U.S. that cover all states except Nevada, Montana and Wyoming.

Is USAA a good bank?

USAA is one of the best and most trusted banks in the country. It's known for its renowned customer service and strict eligibility requirements. If you have an opportunity to join USAA, you should consider taking it. The bank offers free checking with no service fees or minimum balance requirements but does not offer high-yield savings accounts.

USAA Banking Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Banking?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: June 14, 2021

USAA is a full service bank that really takes care of its customers. If not able to take care of any issues online, USAA has customer service that is always polite and helpful. The website is easy to use.

Original review: June 2, 2021

USAA Federal Savings Bank: available to Military, former Military and families - provides checking/ savings/ Home Equity line of credit. Website easy to use and secure - available online and via mobile app. I use them for bill paying - both scheduled automatically and can add one as necessary. Paper checks are also available. Finally, their debit card will reimburse fees (up to 4 or 5 per month). Excellent customer service via phone or message.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 1, 2021

As a Veteran my bank USAA has gone above & beyond to attend to my banking needs regardless of situation and hour. They offer comprehensive assistance in all matters of my finances. I have checking, savings & insurance which is $110 monthly. I am considering rental insurance as well as it will lower my insurance even more.. Can't beat that.. Bravo Zulu USAA.

Original review: May 31, 2021

You Always have physical contact to Bank representatives by telephone or chat- timely response to questions and concerns- online website is secure and easy to use - auto and property insurance within same establishment a big plus!

Original review: May 30, 2021

USAA has never let me down. Whenever I call them for any of the services they provide me, whether it be banking, auto/renters insurance, credit card, etc, they always have an answer to my questions. I always receive the best service from USAA representatives. They're very knowledgeable, fast and efficient, thorough, and polite. I never hesitate to pick up the phone to call USAA for assistance, because I know it will be a pleasant experience regardless of the reason I'm calling. I'll think twice before I call any other service provider, but not USAA. Professional and courteous service is something that they are not short on. I'm glad I served in the US Navy, which affords me the benefit of full access to USAA's services...not just their great banking!

Original review: May 13, 2022

There are some pluses with USAA like low interest rates, usually not always. But there are some bad things with them like sometimes their rates are obscene so shop around, dropped auto payments that cause problems and fees, they sell any loan that you take with them immediately making it difficult to figure out who has it and who you have to pay and are there changes to the loan, bad software for uploading a check. There is no bank to go to its online, overboard and subpar account protection, if you go the other town over and use your card then your account locks but you will get charges from companies you have never heard of, pay attention to your accounts because USAA will do some shady stuff at times. There's more things to complain. I've been with them 2 decades and the problems grow more numerous. My personal decision is getting away from them.

Original review: May 10, 2022

I have banked with USAA for over 30 years. They used to provide awesome service. You can still talk to a representative and they will be polite; however, they are unable to be as helpful as before. First USAA offloaded the handling of investments, now they are selling mortgages to outside handlers without notice. Do not expect the unrivaled service or one-stop-shop of past decades or as advertised, they have become no better than any other online bank.

Original review: April 27, 2022

USAA Federal Bank are scammers! A customer bought a product online from my store and emailed me she didn’t want the product anymore. Told the customer to ship the product back she didn’t. She opened a dispute and the bank gave her the money back. I showed proof and still lost the case. Therefore, you and your customer are crooks! Why did she accept the product if she didn’t want it? Why didn’t she return the product when asked? SCAMMERS!!

Original review: April 21, 2022

Left my card at Walmart, put up a fraud alert, was told it wasn’t unauthorized 4 months later, after being told it would be resolved after 1 month. Worse bank in America. Don’t have your information stolen or they’ll blame you. They used to be helpful.

Original review: March 31, 2022

USAA has been my banking and insurance provider for 25 years. For the first 24 years I was happy with their service, pricing and support. In the past year however, they had allowed their services and support to slide. Why a company can't improve with more experience is beyond me. Today, I have been sitting on hold for 3 hours and 14 minutes as I write this. I was somehow locked out of my account on my phone app. I did not attempt an incorrect password, etc as my account has Face ID enabled. USAA locked me out and forced me to call their 1(877)632-3003 Website Support.

The young lady who helped me was gracious and helpful, but stated their call centers have seen increased call volume since October of 2021... It is March 31st 2022 now. Seems like USAA HR would know they have a personnel shortage and there is certainly no shortage of people ready and willing to apply. Funny thing is she answered at 3:15 while I was typing this...

My app was locked out last night and no one is available to answer their lines at 6 pm on the west coast... interesting approach to customer service. I have now been transferred to another department after the first was not able to provide a solution. The second person is struggling to figure out what the problem with their app and security settings are doing too. I don't blame her, she is trying her best to help with what corporate HQ has given her.

Not having a process in place by which a customer can receive a call back in a timely manner, submit a concern via online chat (without waiting in line for 79 others in the queue), or have a direct email to customer service is insane. If you are truly here for your members, prove it through your actions... which does cost money but you're a bank, I am sure you can afford it.

Take a Mortgage Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

USAA Banking Company Information