1.89/5

San Antonio, TX

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

512 USAA Banking Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

In general, I love USAA. I've been with them, using various products, for more than 25 years now. The disconnect comes in banking and investments. I asked them to remove my younger son's 529 account months ago. The rep. was more concerned about selling rental insurance and other products than in listening to me. That 529 account? It's still on my profile. I'll have to call again to get it removed.

The other issue: my husband and I had planned to transfer our personal checking and primary savings to USAA. After a fiasco of "You have to wait 2 weeks for XYZ, and then, you'll have to get a notarized this..." We decided to go with a bank we can walk into and talk to a person face to face. The aforementioned issue was over USAA's policies, not banking in general. PayPal is a tool I use for my business, and they are amazingly(!) easy to work with---responsive to issues, fast turn around of funds, and no crazy list of rules. I'll stick with USAA for investments, insurance, and secondary savings, but they won't get my primary banking business. For that, I'm going old school. There's nothing like face-to-face human contact.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Used USAA more than 30 years. Pleased with banking, insurance, credit cards, bereavement services, brokerage, fraud handling, etc. Their customer service has always been helpful and resolved whatever issue I have had and always asks if there is anything else with which they can help me. Our only bad experience was with a mortgage refinancing application. It seemed every time I was close to finishing the application, there would be more documents to gather. We couldn't finish the application in the allotted time and had to pay for an extension. I complained to one of the reps about the "run around" I was getting and she apologized and finally explained they were getting handed thousands of new regulations from the Obama administration each month and couldn't keep up with the constant changes. We got all the issues resolved during the extended period and have been pleased with the loan maintenance service since.

When my (retired military) father in law passed away, who was also a long term USAA member, I called USAA on behalf of his wife. Every rep was sensitive and respectful. They transferred me to their bereavement department where we were walked through the issues with his accounts. As it turned out, he had $10k in an account we didn't even know about that helped his wife tremendously during the transition. The account was one they kept in his name that he had never contributed to and may have not even known about, but money was placed there each year by USAA for his loyalty to the company and service to his nation. I don't know why any service member would not use USAA. We love this company even as military dependents. We plan to live and die with USAA!

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Well I been with USAA for 3 years now. I have 3 checking account over the years. I also have saving account with them. Well a few place back in Hawaii was hacked and I used my debit card there. So called them and told them what happen. Well they blocked the card. In case of any fraudulent happen they couldn’t use my card. They are always asking, "Is there anything else I can help you with."

So last night I went to an atm to withdraw some money. This atm took my damn debit card. Which that was my only debit card since I don’t need 3 different bank cards. So I called USAA and they canceled my card just in case of fraudulent happen. Then they apologized for that happening. To find out that the bank I went to would shreds my only bank card. So USAA say they would order me a new card. Well they even did checkbook. So I could have some money until I got my new card. I didn’t know anyone that had USAA since it's a military bank. The lady I talked to ask me do I know anyone. I was like no but Well after all that I realize that my friend has USAA too which it helped a lot so I could get cash, well he explain everything they transfer money to his account so I could have cash on me until my new bank card. I love banking with them. Thank you for always taking the extra step.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2018

I have looked at other reviews for USAA and I am really bummed that they did not have positive experiences. My husband is a vet and we signed up for USAA in 2011. Initially we just had vehicle insurance (the best price in our area by far) and then started using them for banking and homeowner’s insurance. The customer service has always been fantastic, even when I am pretty grouchy with them. Our homeowner's insurance is $44 a month...FAR lower than any quotes we had been given, and our vehicle insurance is fantastic, had to use roadside assistance many, many times and they have been fantastic!! We were stuck on a remote logging road and they were able to get a tow truck up there and out truck out, at 2am! I recently got rear ended and my adjuster has been amazing and helping me deal with the other insurance who are not very great.

I have just a basic checking and savings with USAA but any issue I have had they fix immediately. I had a breach to my checking and someone went on a PayPal spending spree, within 24 hours my 2,500 that was taken was replaced to my account and I had a new debit card. I am going to start the USAA secured credit card (despite all the flack I have read) because of how positive my experience has been over the last 7 years. Also... if you look at other sources there are plenty of positive feedback to be read. I do think though, location is huge on the experience you will have with this company. I am in the Northwest and never have ANY issues with this company.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

You have to expect sometimes of encountering someone who may be having a bad day and takes it out on you by being short or unwilling to help entirely. I have met with that type of situation only a couple of times dealing with USAA. Today, Narhonsha took fantastic care of me as has been the general rhythm of my experiences with this bank. The insurance portion could use some tweaking. Narhonsha was incredible in the fact she looked at past issues in depth and was able to assist me positively. Don’t put a check mark in the terrible column until you have dealt with different reps and rate this bank based on them as a unit. I still love this bank immensely after many encounters over 5 years. Give them a chance to remedy your problem by talking to a few reps and not based on one encounter.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Have had USAA for a long time. Sometimes they are helpful, but lately they have been snippy and frequently disconnect the line. Our latest problem is in collecting the most recent two months of bank statements for our savings account. They refuse to generate July’s because of the “lack of account activity,” even though there has been an interest deposit each month. NOBODY will do it, so our home loan application is at a standstill for 2+ months. Irritated is an understatement.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

USAA has been great for a lot of services, but for mortgages they are a total disaster. You can get a hold of anyone on the phone after leaving messages and they utterly ignore emails. Their escalation phone numbers that you may find reassuring on their emails and VM messages? DISCONNECTED! Seriously, I can’t warn you strong enough. Don’t bother with this. Just keep moving to find someone that will be on your squad when you go for a new loan. Everyone who is on your team during your home purchase will be frustrated by these folks. It’s not just your calls they don’t return, it's all of them. The title companies, the employers, anyone involved in the process is going to get frustrated.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2019

I was unemployed for several months. Finally got my first paycheck and deposited it electronically. Then USAA decided they need to verify funds and puts a hold on the deposit!?!? I tried with no avail to get the funds released early. They wouldn’t do that because my last couple of months balance average was not higher than the check amount. WELL DUH! It’s my first paycheck in a couple of months. They can verify funds for the deposit a number of way. Go through the Fed, call the bank the check is written on, etc. THANKS USAA FOR NOTHING!!!

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

The online experience with USAA is a trip back in time. It's like it was too much trouble to create an online service, so, at all levels, it's just the basics. Most of the so-called services are in reality, come-ons. It's relentless. If you call to get your missing info; it will take about 15-20 mins to get to someone who has no answers not otherwise found on the website. Then it's phone tree pinball time. The people assigned to answer phones, hide behind the site and their anonymity. Why should I do business with a banker that won't tell me their name? The final insult was after just short of an hour on the phone, while trying to report suspected fraudulent use of my card, I was told they have no fraud response protocol/department/team. My only recourse was to cancel my card. Well, that's just incompetent. Like so many, just another veterans scam.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

They have great customer service and I love their attitude. I love their banking facility in San Antonio Texas. Their insurance prices cannot be beat. Their website is user-friendly and can handle any of my financial needs. I can deposit my checks online so I never have to go to an ATM or a physical bank.

USAA Banking Company Information