1.56/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

USAA Banking

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 13, 2017

339 USAA Banking Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have been a USAA member for over 45 years. I have used most of their banking services especially to pay bills and make money transfers to and from other accounts. Recently I made a $3000 transfer from another bank to my USAA account using the USAA website to originate the transaction. When I looked at the other account, $3000 had been transferred out twice. Each time I call USAA bank for assistance, I get a new clerk who does not understand what happened and I have to explain what I see in the accounts. I have gone back and forth several times with these people with no satisfactory results. The other bank, Bank of Pensacola, has been very helpful and has also communicated directly with people at USAA bank.

The people at Bank of Pensacola understand what has happened and has helped me recover the lost $3000. However the various people at USAA bank do NOT seem to understand the situation and are unwilling to help fix it. So far $3000 has been lost from my accounts. I like the other USAA products and services, but I DO NOT like their banking services anymore. You can get most of the same services from your local bank where you can talk to a real person instead of some anonymous voice on the phone.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

USAA Federal Savings Bank is the worst bank anyone can deal with and I feel people should be warned before they get ripped off. I had a CD with them that matured while I was in an induced coma in intensive care. I called them as soon as I got out of the rehab facility and was sent home. I explained to them that I couldn't call them to tell them to close the matured cd which had matured on 9/07/2017 because at that time I was in an induced coma. If they would look at the last two CD I had with them I believe they matured this August you will see that I had you send me the funds from them, within the penalty free time just like I would like you to do with this CD. I am asking you to do this because there was no way I could call you because I was In an induce coma!

Your agent said I would be charged a penalty fee. I asked to speak to a manager or supervisor. They said I had to wait for a callback. That took three or four hours for the callback and the person who called back had left for the day. After much to I ended up coming to this end which did not please me but it was the best that could get them to do. They said they wanted to charge me a penalty of $363.66 but would only charge me $63.66. I spent three hours to get them to agree to go from the larger amount to the lower penalty and it wasn't easy. It isn't a nice or a friendly institute to deal with and if you look at the majority of reviews I found them all to be bad so I suggest stay away from USAA. Also it is very hard to speak to anyone at USAA. When you call there most times you get the call center.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

In August of 2010 I opened a 7 year CD at 3.85% with USAA. When the CD matured this past August 2017, USAA automatically rolled over the proceeds from that CD into a new 7 year CD without my knowledge or consent. The new CD has an interest rate of only 1.1%. In order to get my money out I had to pay a $2,500 early withdrawal penalty from the new CD that they opened without my knowledge or consent. I tried several times to get through to the bank in late August and early September. It took me several attempts to get through to the bank by phone, each time being transferred and placed on endless hold. This is a predatory practice aimed at cheating unsuspecting customers.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I believe the employees are committing fraud. My account was hacked and when I called to close it down, they left it open for 3 additional days where someone stole 12K move dollars and now they won’t fix it. I have been in constant contact with customer service, security, fraud, member services and banking. They give me the run around every time. All my money is frozen and I cannot get any help. I have reached out to the FDIC and FTC because the bank is not helping at all. The fraudsters wrote themselves 12K in bank checks and had an ATM card delivered and money withdrawn.

I only had 4K in my account but I want every dime of my money back. They are still investigating this, 3 weeks later. PNC gave my money back and shut down my account in 1 day. USAA is not military affiliated at all. They are telling people they are gov./military and they are not helping military families. They are stealing from military families. Don’t ever get an account with them. As soon as I get my money back I am closing the account for good. I wish I never opened this account. Beware of this bank.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Extremely helpful bank, no branches so ATM costs refunded. No way to deposit checks here where I live in Mexico but no problem if you live in US. USAA does make it easier to function living in foreign land because ATM withdrawals costs minimum. Much better service than mainstream banks... seems more like belonging to credit union.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Aug. 17, 2017

The other reviews posted is enough! I've been a banking with USAA since 2011-12 and never had a need to reach out to them up until the last 2 years. The customer service is by far the worst. If you're disconnected for some odd reason, they refuse to call you back even though they verify "a good contact phone number" at the beginning of the call. They will repeatedly charge you insufficient fee charges every few days to gain revenue. For example, I paid my $259.61 electric bill with THIS checking account, thinking I submitted payment from my Suntrust account. My electric company attempted to take the funds when $247.11 was only in the account. YES, that's my mistake and I'm okay with taking responsibility for that.

After noticing the mix up, I noticed there was 2nd $29.00 insufficient fee charge. So I called my electric company and the rep was adamant that the company only attempts to withdraw the money once and instructed me to call USAA. I called USAA and spoke w/ Misty and said they attempt to pay the merchant twice so the fee are valid and she's unable to refund the fee. IF THE ACCOUNT WAS SHORT $12.50 AND YOU DIDN'T COVER THE CHARGE, WHY WOULD YOU ATTEMPT TO PAY THEM AGAIN... Oh I know why, to rack up fees!!! I demanded to speak with a manager and was hung up on. If us getting disconnected was a mistake, she would have called back! With shady practices and ignorant/rude reps, I'm stopping my direct deposit and closing my account. I will also post my experience with my 21k followers on social media to inform them to STAY AWAY!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

I have been a USAA customer for around 20 years and feel lucky to have them. Their customer service is excellent, you can always reach an live agent by phone very quickly. I pay my bills through their online service and they have never been late or made a mistake. Checking is free, including the checks, they even refund ATM fees. Their app makes it very easy to pay a bill, transfer money between accounts or check balances, and money transfers occur instantly. My checking account is linked to my USAA credit card, so I never worry about bouncing a check. When I have had disputes with creditors, they have always had my back. I don't think you can do better than USAA.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2017

Great, secure bank. As they do not have branches, they will refund any atm fees you accrue monthly. You can also use mobile deposit or go to specific locations to deposit. Transferring money from bank to bank is also a piece of cake!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2017

USAA makes it unnecessary to put up with WF, BoA, etc. and their poor service plus high fees. I have been with them 50 years and never disappointed in their banking services. Note that I can do everything on the web, no need for a bank branch.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I have been a customer with USAA for over 15 years. I give them all of my business. I retired from the Army in March and had to scramble my funds to adjust to the cut in pay. I miscalculated and several transfers were returned, but funded immediately. I have been transferring money between my two accounts for as long as I have been a customer with absolutely no issues. Now I am not allowed to transfer any funds between those accounts, even though the miscalculation was immediately funded and all fees covered.

I also noticed that the bank has made services "unavailable" to me, like taking a cash advance from my line of credit. The system is always "unavailable". But no one has called me to reach out and make sure this isn't an issue of fraud. There is no fraud, I had one tough month and now I feel like I am blacklisted. As long as the money is in the account and there are no overdrafts... Why does the bank feel a need to "monitor your spending" and decided whether it is appropriate or not? I understand fraud protection, but this is more than that.

Original review: July 28, 2017

When I call to ask questions, and what I can do to fix something, I get "I don't know. We just do that." They say they are here for military members but they charge fees for everything. I bought something with the wrong account number and I have automatic over draft from my other account, and still got charged a fee. This bank is ridiculous and they are NOT for the military. They are here to take all they can from them.

Original review: July 14, 2017

USAA is the worst bank to bank with. I have never had so many security breaches/issues as I have had THIS year 2017. I have been a member of USAA for over a decade and am discontinuing all banking services. My account was able to be taken over within a month of them walking me through and setting up all of this additional security for my account. My account was used as a pass thru account since I never use it and it only had $50 in it for the past several years. A USAA employee had to have done this. There is no other way that anyone would know that I never check or use this account. The "fraudsters" siphoned money from another USAA customer's account, put it in mine and then a Wells Fargo employee withdrew the funds from my account with a debit card they had expedited to Miami in my name from my account.

USAA allowed this to happen because the "fraudster" was able to authenticate himself or herself because they were able to provide my AMEX credit card information. USAA uses any card associated with your account/profile for verification EVEN though anyone can steal your credit card information without actually having your credit card in hand. Once they used my credit card to authenticate, USAA expedited a debit card to them in my name to Miami, FL. The "fraudsters" took $20K from the other USAA member's account, put it in mine and then a Wells Fargo employee withdrew it all in $5K increments. They would make a $5K deposit and then someone would withdraw $603 repeatedly until it equaled the total amount deposited.

USAA said that it could be that the fraudsters called in and had the ATM withdrawal limit increased which is authorized when traveling. I said then why aren't there any ATM fees??? If that is the case. There was not one ATM fee which leads me to believe that it was a Wells Fargo employee involved. So now my account has a zero balance and I received yet ANOTHER alert that there was fraud activity on this account which I have closed. USAA has gone down the tubes from back in the day. Stealing from service members is lower than low. They need to look internally at themselves and hire people with integrity. Wells Fargo ALREADY has a problem with thieves working for them and now USAA. The WORST experience.

Original review: July 14, 2017

I have had insurance with USAA for over 50 years and recently started using the bank bill pay. Customer support is pathetic as they have boundaries separating various departments (customer service, web support and IT). Each group will gladly agree to create a "ticket" to help you, but you get nowhere. My payments to critical accounts were mysteriously canceled without notice - no excuse. Avoid this bank.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I have been a member for 9 yrs and always a great member. This past year when I moved to NY, all of a sudden my money was going missing a lot and USAA would do nothing about it. I would email constantly and not receive a response for about a month. The escalation team is a joke as you can hear it in their voice that they don't care. I have written and tried my best to convince USAA to get me back my money that was taken and instead of helping me, they kindly let me know that they are deciding to end the relationship.

This past year has been my worst experience with this bank as most of the associates are rude and no one seems to want to do their job. Such a disappointment. I wouldn't advise anyone to go to USAA these days. Your money isn't safe and no one cares to help you. They will just get rid of you and lock you out of your account without a moment's notice. I actually had to call in to find out why my cards weren't working and was transferred all around just to say since they are closing my account, they have blocked my access. I am both disgusted and disappointed.

Original review: July 11, 2017

I recently applied for an auto loan through USAA since I already have my car insurance and investment accounts with them. I applied for a 10k loan and they accepted it BUT they gave me a 14% APR on my 60 month term loan. Now I may not have the best credit but that is pretty high for a stay at home mom of 3 kids. I called to see if I could get it lowered but they said no. In the end of it, I accepted the loan in order to get a new vehicle. Just wanted to share my experience. Thank you USAA but please consider offering lower APR rates to families.

Original review: June 29, 2017

My husband is retired from a twenty five year Military career. We have used USAA for the majority of that time and since his retirement. We own a farm and have hunters who lease the wooded area and a farmer who rents the land for farming. I have received large checks from these individuals and have always deposited online since we are not near a branch. There was never an issue. Ever. Until... Our payroll company made a mistake and my check was not direct deposited. My company issued me a check and I deposited it as usual. Then I saw they had put a hold on most of it. It happened to be at a time when I was using those funds to go out of town. I called to explain the situation and was told that they have the right to hold any check at their discretion. I was treated worse than I have ever been treated by a business.

The "supervisor" asked me what I wanted it for. I told him it was none of his business. He told me I could take out a loan. I told him I did not need a loan just my own money. We were mysteriously disconnected. I called back three times and each time I argued I was disconnected. So... today I deposited my tax refund check. They held the majority of it. I again called and was told by a very mouthy customer service rep that their computer system scans our accounts and it determines the hold. I told her to give me the "supervisor" and not to disconnect me. She did and he began saying that all checks have holds on them. I assured him that is untrue and asked him to look at my deposits. He said he has the right to decide if he should hold by the amount I have in my account.

I asked if he had ever served in the Military. He cleared his throat and said no. I asked how much he had in his account. He said he does not have to tell me that. I said "EXACTLY!". I asked if I had ever in all the years had a check not clear. He said "No but it could happen to this one". I informed him he might win the lottery, drive his car up a tree, get stranded in a snow storm. That is ridiculous. I then told him they need to stop saying they are a Military bank, His response was that they definitely are not. I asked "Why do you advertise that you are when you are obviously no different than any other bank that gives discounts for Military". He said they are not doing anything wrong. I said "It is shady at best and you treat customers horribly and much worse than any bank I have ever been to".

I also told him "I realize a lot of it has to do with the bravado of knowing you do not have to speak face to face with the customer you are berating". Because if he were standing in front of me I would have left him bawling in his cubicle. We will be changing banks. I advise everyone to do the same. This will not get better. It can only go downhill from here.

Original review: June 27, 2017

We have been with USAA for all our banking, mortgage and car insurance over 10 years. We noticed that our loans have been sold to different banks over the last few years. Our most recent experience with applying for a new mortgage has been a disaster. There was poor follow-up, lack of ownership of various loan processors. 4 days before closing, we were told that there is additional paperwork that's missing and we can't close on time. We are a 2 surgeon family with good income. Their lack of responsibility is a disgrace for a company that advertise taking care of "military families".

Original review: June 24, 2017

When you sign up for USAA services you may be a "lifetime" member, whether you choose it or not. When I realized that USAA was using me and my military service to link to other family members without my expressed permission, I was outraged and requested my account be cancelled. When I logged into my account, I found that another named person appeared on my account. The person named was my son, or so it appeared.

However, there are more than one person with that name in my family and I was not sure who it was, so I asked to have his name removed until I could verify the correct identity. USAA refused and this led to the questions why someone could have access to my secure account without my permission, without having served in the military himself, and why I had no authority or right to protect the security of my account, or makes changes to my own personal profile if I so desired. The answer was; once a member establishes an account, he becomes a member for life, because the military record becomes linked to others in the family who may want to become members, even though they have not served, and no matter what their age, or status. I was aghast at the possible infringements to my personal information, identity, and assets, over which I had suddenly lost control.

I requested cancellation but discovered that I was never cancelled and my account still remains to this day. 1 year later I checked to see if I was still able to log on to my account, and the results surprised me. Not only was I able to log on, but everything was as before, including the name of the person I wanted removed. I immediately tried to cancel, but could not. Then I sought to change the criteria of my personal profile but was not allowed. I tried to destroy or alter any information on my account in order to prevent it being used by someone not authorized and was not able to do so. Today, three years later, I received an email notice of USAA agreement changes were being made to my account. I tried to respond to the email but was denied. I tried searching for other ways to contact USAA, but to no avail. Finally, I sent the following email to a USAA customer support email I found on the internet, as follows:

Your email has been SENT in error. I have NO ACCOUNT with USAA. All previous accounts, once held, have been CANCELLED and should have been removed from your records years ago. Please DISCONTINUE any and all correspondence to and from USAA and this email address. I repeat, I have no account with USAA, and have made no agreements online or otherwise. Any association with USAA is hereby disavowed and any links to or reference to me with respect to USAA is null and void and will be regarded as an intrusion into my PRIVACY. For anyone wondering if USAA is the place to protect your assets and honor your military service; I would consider it very carefully. They mean it when they say "You are in it for life."

Original review: June 23, 2017

It has taken me over a year and a half to close accounts with this financial institution and if I do not request a letter of closure then they illegally leave the account open maybe to up their numbers. No one is able to assist me with the issues I am having. Because they cannot authenticate me they can't even give me the number to the department that can assist me. Once I get these accounts closed I will be sure to post to the web how to do it because it is probably the hardest thing I have ever done in my life.

Original review: June 23, 2017

They seem like a good company at first. But there are some issues which they seem not to be able to fix. I moved about 3 months ago. Changed my address online in my profile/account. They still have not figured a way to update their credit card to reflect that. I get declined for my online purchases and have to go back and re-enter my old address which I am no longer living at as the billing address. I don't feel comfortable putting my billing address as I don't live there anymore but that's the only way to get purchases to go through. Did some research and it seems to be an ongoing problem with this company.

Also, if I shop at more than 3 stores the same day, they will auto-block my card. I get that this is a safety precaution but it is embarrassing to get my card declined when I have done nothing wrong but just use it. I have to either wait for them to call me to verify my purchases or go online and verify. Then it takes a while for them to fix it and I can't use it anymore. Not very useful as I use it at trade shows where the purpose is for me to buy through several vendors within the short amount of time they are open.

The card is great for one time purchases and my credit limit is a nice high amount which I like. But since I'm so scared to use it on a "shopping day" it defeats the whole purpose. And I can't online shop because I have to "bill" an address I don't even live at! And if you just want to use it "just one time" for a high amount, beware because they'll block your card after that too. It's a hassle to verify after every purchase. Just get an account with Navy federal or any other card.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I have been a USAA Customer for over 40 years. I have always gotten good service until lately. This review is based upon multiple times of dealing with USAA over the last six months. (1) They switched credit cards from Master Charge to VISA. When they sent me the new cards they made an error in my name. I called them to attempt to get this corrected and their system verifies your phone number based upon the phone number stored in your profile and your four digit pin. Great, you should be all set then. No, once they pass you on to a human, they start again on a long series of verification questions. Why do they do this? It is wasting my time. The person they connected me to did not help me. I asked to speak with her supervisor. The supervisor then has to re-verify who you are. When I challenged her on that, she hung up on me. I reported this incident to USAA and never heard back from them.

(2) I decided since my name was not correct on the card not to use it. I waited three or four months until all charges were off the card from the old Master Charge card cleared. I called USAA to cancel the VISA card and they told me that it needed to be approved by a banking manager. After keeping me on hold for 10 minutes. The person came back on the line and said that a banking manager would call me on Monday. This did not happen and I never heard back from USAA.

(3) Today, I called USAA banking to get rates on their CDs. This information is also available on-line, but I wanted to ask a person a few questions. Again I went through their phone verification procedure which verified I was calling from a phone in my profile. When I got to a human they again started in a long series of questions. They wanted my user-id, my four digit pin number, and my daughter’s name and date of birth. Then when they ask for what kind of car I drive, I lost patience with them. If I am doing a financial transaction then verify to the heart's content, but not for information that is on their web-site available to the general public. (4) I have decided not to do business with USAA Banking and I recommend that others do likewise!

Original review: June 15, 2017

I have been a member since 1982. I have noticed over the years their interests rates aren't competitive with other financial institutions. The car insurance was the only competitive entity of USAA. I have a credit card with USAA and when the bill comes; I always pay double the amount due. Recently due to my miscalculations I went $268.00 over my limit. Mind you, my average payment has been $500.00 depending on the amount is due obviously. I recently received a phone call about the overage, and I explained acknowledging it was my error and I will send a payment next billing cycle, which is 10 days away. She tried to force a payment right then; I was firm about when I would send a payment. She told me she would note the account.

7 days later, got another call about payment; I explained the situation all over again. I asked "was any of that noted under my account", "no" she replied. She then tried to get a payment out of me when I sent it off two days ago. After a lengthy back and forth, we both became very agitated and I abruptly ended the call. After paying at least double the amount due for two years of having the card doesn't matter. Your payment history isn't factored in before the so-called courtesy call. Once the card is paid off it will be discarded and I will use my other two cards. I will never use the banking service or credit service ever again with customer service like this. All of those commercials are just phony and bogus!

Original review: June 14, 2017

I have been a member for 6 yrs and have been banking with them for 6 months. My account was hacked and all money was stolen from account. However dealing with them for 5 Hrs on the phone resulted in nothing but headaches, transferred call, put on hold, hung up on, disconnected and most of all no progress. The phone numbers that appeared on my smart phone (1800 531 8722) the day of the breach came back to USAA Fax number. Makes me wonder. Now because the number was spam it is blocked on my phone so I am unable to receive any communications from them. Not a big deal except they could not proceed any further with my inquiries because I could not receive their text. I was told to call the security dept. (1877 762 7256 ) and change all my information however no one can access my account to do this. I am now in possession of a new debt card that is linked to hacked checking account. Makes no sense.

I kept my savings and checking separate, I have no way of taking money from my savings account. I have to transfer it to my checking 1st. Someone got into my savings account and transferred all my money to checking and in person used a debt card at a Wal-Mart in Ct. I live in central N.H. My question why was the transfer not flagged immediately? Why did the transfers go thru 5 times for a total of approx. $3500? Why is it that the USAA did not stop the transactions immediately? They said they tried to call and could not reach me. With that being said, it was obvious to them that something wasn't right. At that point they should have shut down my card and I would only be out $600. If I were at the register in a store approx 300 miles away from my home and the card was denied due to USAA thinking it was suspicious I would be happy that they were on top of their game. However that was not the case.

Instead of looking out for the customer they enabled the thief to keep their actions up. They did say my money is guaranteed and that is true what they don't tell you is you have to jump thru hoops and deal with people who lack any sort of compassion, judgment, knowledge and plain old common sense. As a combat veteran who served honorable in the marine corps this kind of leadership in this institution is weak at best. If they understood Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance, then I guess I would not be writing this! It is my recommendation that you do not use this BANK. Very disappointed, and appalled that they are proud to represent Veterans. I guess they just use us as a selling point for their personal gain. That's called SELFISHNESS and anyone who is selfish would never make in the military...

Original review: June 2, 2017

Unsolicited on my part, USAA sent me an invitation for a Rewards card. I really was just going to toss the offer in the garbage because I have all the credit that I need at the moment and I am more than satisfied with those banks. I love those banks, no annual fee, rewards points! BUT since this offer was personally sent to me from "trusted" USAA I went against my judgment and applied for this "rewards Military Blue Star families" Card SINCE I assumed USAA had likely prescreened me (being professionals and all) and would approve me for a good starting limit, that would benefit my "credit available" and would subside the hard check on the credit.

Well, shockingly USAA just pulled a bait and switch scheme on me and made false advertising claims. USAA offered me an alternate card, a terrible card, NOT THE CARD THEY SELECTED ME FOR! Then WHY SOLICIT ME TO APPLY? Points off my score, without any benefit, this is what I received from USAA. Maybe just to PHISH for customers, and offer them terrible alternative cards with an annual fee, high APR%. If I were in my early 20's or had bad credit this could be a consideration, but not for me, and USAA should've known me since they personally invited me. It's disgusting how USAA "educates" members to be aware of credit phishing when USAA is doing something extremely similar. Beware of Bait and Switch.

Original review: May 25, 2017

I have to strongly contradict the many negative USAA reviews. I have been a member for about 20 years. My mother was a member long before. My daughter had been a member for over 5 years. I do not have a checking acct with them, but have savings, several insurance accts, and a credit card. I am an average person with average means. I have never had a negative experience, never a discourteous representative. They are helpful, compassionate, understanding, go the extra mile, bend over backwards. I continually rave about the company to friends, particularly those who use huge corporate, impersonal banks - and hate the service they get, or rather lack thereof. USAA rocks.

Original review: May 18, 2017

I have been a member of USAA for 35 years, since then USAA has gone downhill. My first mortgage in 2002 was a good business experience, fast, and friendly service. I paid off my mortgage in 2012. In 2017 I took out a mortgage on my house for a real estate investment. The second mortgage was a 45-day nightmare. Constant delays and endless request for additional information. I had three loan officers in the 45-day nightmare. Finally, we had the closing and I expect that the problems were over. I was wrong - the closing was handled incorrectly and as a result my funds were not available to me for 15 days after the closing, but I was charged interest on money that I could not use.

Original review: May 17, 2017

In 2007, I was forced to file bankruptcy due to many financial and medical setbacks. My husband served as a Sergeant in the Army in the late 1970's and honorably discharged in 1982. We originally had a savings account set up with USAA, but because of financial issues, we had about $3.00 in the account. For some unknown reason, USAA decided to close the account which was unfair and uncalled for. We are in a much better financial situation now and we want to open another Savings account.

I have called several times and have been told that they cannot do this until AFTER OCTOBER 12, 2017, when the bankruptcy clears off my report. I think this whole thing is nothing more than poppycock. I have called several reps and even message them online on Facebook. I was promised someone would get back with me. My question is how are we encouraging people to save when they do nothing but punish us? Yes, I know I had a difficult decision to make; but at the time, there was no other option at that time. I am being punished by USAA. It's unfair. It's uncalled for and it's unprofessional.

Original review: May 14, 2017

Tiffany ** was also our Loan Officer. In the beginning, she was overly nice. All documents that were requested for obtaining our mortgage loan, my husband uploaded them on USAA website. Then we were informed by Tiffany ** that our mortgage loan was undergoing the first review. Last week I received a call from Tiffany **. She stated that she had a few more questions for us concerning employment. She started off by asking if I was planning on making the 5 Hour drive from where we moving to in Hickory North Carolina to where I was employed currently in Newbern North Carolina every day once we move.

I could tell by the way she was talking to me that she was aggravated. And then proceeded to tell her that no I was not planning on driving five hours and that my husband and I both already have job offers where we will be moving. She asked if we had accepted the job offers and I said no not yet but we could if that's what they were wanting. My husband and I both already knew that we were going to take these jobs but we did not see the need to do so super fast because the job offers were for starting in July. (But job offers are for more than what were we are making now.) She then stated that she could not see an allotment that my husband makes every month from his account to my account at Wells Fargo for our savings. She stated that the statement we provided from Wells Fargo for the month of May did not show the allotment.

So I quickly pulled up my Wells Fargo account and told her that the allotment is made at the beginning of each month. I could see the allotment for the month of May in my account the last day of April. The allotment is set a transfer from USAA to Wells Fargo at the beginning of each month. I could see the allotment for the month of May in my account the last day of April. Then the next allotment was showing on June 1. I told her that I could get her those statements ASAP. She then asked for our tax statements. I told her that we had signed a waiver for the Loan processor, Anthony **, to attain our tax statements through the IRS. She said that she did not see them uploaded. I told her we could also get those uploaded ASAP.

Now just to leave you a little history about my husband and I. My husband will be retiring out of the Marine Corps in August of this year. I am a registered cardiac sonographer and have been since 2005. We both have good credit. Now by the time I drove the hour home from work all of our mortgage loan process had already been erased from our USAA account. We weren't even given an hour to upload the documents requested by us before they had already done away with us. And we have been in the process with them concerning our mortgage loan for a couple weeks now and now everything was gone.

During this process my husband was the optimistic one. I got online and read hundreds of reviews and 99% of them were negative reviews concerning USAA's mortgage loans. After what we experience with USAA, neither my husband nor I would recommend our worst enemy trying to finance a mortgage loan through them. And the customer service we experienced with Tiffany was absolutely horrible. We're not sure who to blame with this experience we've had with USAA. We're not sure if it's the underwriter or if it was Tiffany or if it was a combination of both people. All I can say is people please understand that hundreds of negative reviews are not going to be wrong.

Original review: May 6, 2017

I've been a customer of USAA for 25 years. There are at least 50 of my relatives who are either retired or on active duty. Twenty years ago, my 20-year-old wonderful son was killed in an Air Force training accident--in other words, he was burned alive. My husband flew Air Force jets to the Russian border and back (in the cold war days). My nephew graduated from West Point four years ago and was in Afghanistan two weeks later. My brother-in-law flew three tours of duty in Vietnam. He returned to Vietnam after the war to help the South Vietnamese rebuild their country. Later, he was one of the founders of the Wall South Foundation. And then there are my eight uncles and their extended families. Are these bonafides enough to earn respect from a company that claims its very existence is to support the military? One would think so. Apparently, USAA doesn't believe so.

I suffered for years after my son's heinous death, but 15 years ago, I finally found peace and joy in an adopted daughter. The child of a crack addict, she managed to be admitted to the one A high school in this county and to receive full scholarships for college, including boarding. Now that my daughter has moved into university housing, she still needs my help from time to time. USAA allows its customers to skip loan payments once a year if their payment record is good (mine is excellent), So, in late February, in order to help my daughter, I applied to skip a payment in March. The agent was very courteous. She did some checking and told me that my next payment would be April 15. Case closed? I thought so until March 15 when the payment went through causing me $105 in overdraft fees.

When I began making the 20 or so telephone calls, an agent told me that I did not qualify for the "skip" because the request came two months early. When I asked, over and over again, what could be done, I was told in these exact words: "There is absolutely nothing we can do." And here's something that you may find hard to believe. According to this agent, the agent who agreed to my request had made a mistake, but she was inexperienced and "we've helped her so she won't make the same mistake again." But who is responsible for the error? Apparently, I am, but I refuse to be. As far as I'm concerned, the only important words in this whole thing are those of the first agent: "Your next loan payment will be due April 15." If the agent was that inexperienced, why weren't you monitoring her?

I was finally "escalated" to the "executive solutions team" whose agent, was, if anything, the worst I'd dealt with. "Just the facts, ma'am. I'll find the solution." He didn't. By this point, I was almost suicidal. My credit tanked after my son's death when I couldn't work, but I had slowly built it back. Now it seemed that USAA was about to destroy it. I had already sent the money to my daughter, and there was no way I could come up with the loan payment until May. Now the dunning phone calls began. Finally, after a week of this, I finally reached an intelligent, compassionate agent who said he was taking very careful notes and asked if he could do some research and get back to me.

Two days later, I received a letter from USAA that began like this: "Thank you for banking with USAA Federal Savings Bank. As you requested, due date for your loan has been extended to May 15..." Gee, thanks. No apology, of course. What may have made the difference is that in my last conversation with USAA, I said I would not stand by and let USAA harm my credit. I mentioned filing a complaint with the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and the Better Business Bureau, as well as every relevant blog I can find. I also mentioned that I would turn my problem over to an attorney.

The resolution of this issue could not be more ironic. For weeks, the USAA bank refused to budge. Getting USAA to do the right thing was like pulling an elephant uphill. Someone did finally step up and do something, even though the issue had nothing to do with the "helping party". It was the Bank of America, with whom I have a checking account. When I called the bank about my overdraft charges, the Bank of America rescinded $105 in those charges. Based on my experience and on those posting on this site, I'm wondering now if the whole "we support the military" isn't just a scam? Military families, because they are so often fractured in some way, need flexibility more than anything, and USAA certainly isn't providing that.

Original review: May 5, 2017

Back when I joined USAA 26 years ago it meant something. It was a special company that catered to military officers and took care of their customers. When they opened up membership to anyone even remotely associated with the military and became solely profit driven the customer service went to crap. If they gave 2 cents about their members they would read these reviews and adjust fire. But, alas, the almighty dollar rules this business.

So, I bounced a check. $24 water bill as my wife and I miscommunicated about the account bal. No big deal as I have over $4k in savings and oh I don't know, I do thousands of dollars a year in insurance business with them. The ** returned the check and did not cover it. I don't care if they charge me a fee. Cover the check. That's just good business. When I called to get this straighten out I was put on permahold until I finally gave up. I'm in that process of moving all my business from USAA. They are not a good company anymore. I feel sorry for new members are they don't know what the real USAA was all about. Maybe that's better.

USAA Banking Company Information