1.80/5
Based on 59 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

San Antonio, TX

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

376 USAA Banking Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 15, 2018

I have used USAA because I thought that they were veteran friendly and all about service to our country. I was taken for a fool! Not only do they not care about men and women in the service, veterans, but 100% disabled veterans like me get the worst treatment. Lol. I don’t have the money to pay back over $1,350 in fraud charges that USAA promised to cover! A bunch of thieves!!!

Original review: June 6, 2018

Opened new checking and savings accounts in March 2018. USAA requested IRS Form and additional ID proof. I complied with both requests. Unable to access my accounts after calling daily, hours on hold still cannot get access. Requests to resend same forms 3 times so far. Complied and advised accounts still blocked. I have met every request, spoken to numerous agents of bank. I am a retired government employee, no reason for this inability to just close my accounts get my funds returned and put USAA in my rear view mirror. I opened an account at a local bank with no problems yet USAA continues to obstruct my refund request. Tomorrow I plan another 60 minutes on hold while another operator tells me there is no reason why I cannot access my money but I am still blocked and they will get back to me with in 24 hours. Customer service is terrible. What a mess due to USAA incompetence. I won't give up...

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 5, 2018

I've been using USAA for getting a VA home loan and it has been painfully slow. I was qualified for a loan and then after buying the home I found out I had to take a longer term mortgage because I wasn't qualified for the original price. Furthermore, I have had to bug them about doing every little thing. They should be the ones bugging me about getting stuff done not the other way around. Would not recommend for mortgage.

Original review: May 26, 2018

USAA Banking reps are very helpful and quick to reply or respond by calling. I feel appreciated and been giving opportunities to grow financially and with all the benefits on discounts.

Original review: May 24, 2018

I have always received great customer service from this bank until my last deployment where I had to get renters insurance for my apartment. They are suppose to understand the military yet they kept changing my home of residence to my deployment location. When I had to cancel my renter's insurance because my deployment was over early, I was told they did not give refunds based on a cancellation of the policy. Later I found out this was not true, but never got a refund for the time I was not living there and I was back home.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: May 22, 2018

After 29 years with USAA I will be closing as many of my accounts as possible tomorrow. These accounts include checking, savings, mutual funds, an IRA, a mortgage loan, homeowners insurance and car insurance. The quality of their Customer Service is so poor that I no longer have any confidence in them. I could write about a number of incidences that have occurred over the last 6 years but the latest took the cake and I’m done with them. The fact that all business is conducted on the phone and you can never talk to the same person when you call back and no documentation of your conversations is sent to you puts you at risk and I believe that’s their intent. I haven’t ever been able to solve a problem with them with one call. No more banks for me. I already have a local credit union account and that’s where I’ll be banking from now on.

Original review: May 22, 2018

We have been USAA customers for a few years now, and generally things work well, with the exception of one HUGE problem. Anytime I deposit a check, it is held. I am not talking about a personal check, these are checks from another institution, for example a rollover payout from a 401K. They claim they have to 'hold' the funds for five days. It's 2018, and I am sure that funds can be verified faster than that. I agree with another reviewer that they are holding my money to gain the interest. This is the second time this has been done, and makes me wish we had never left our old credit union, who credited funds immediately. We are in the process of moving to a new city, and you can guarantee, as soon as we get settled, we'll be leaving USAA.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I have a checking and savings with them and I opened both accounts in 2006. It is an online bank for military and their family members. Customer Service has always been friendly and pleasant and I have not had a problem they were not able to help me. I withdrawal from on any ATM and reimbursed for any bank fees. You can also use them for insurance.

Original review: May 17, 2018

We have been members of USAA since 1975 and have used their banking facilities and other areas of the company thru today. We have been pleased with their support and their being pro-security in all that they do.

Original review: May 10, 2018

The service is horrible. I still haven't received my secured credit card and my checking account debit cards. I called customer service and they said they just mailed the secured yesterday. This is 10 days after they already pull the $250 secured deposit out of my Chase Bank checking account. They are very slow at processing things. My Chase Bank debit card was in my hand from the mail 2 days after I opened it. They have very little ATMs in the area too.

Original review: May 2, 2018

Literally the only things we liked about getting process through USA was the pre-approval part. The lady that was in charge of our loan was very helpful. She did everything she could to get us approved for the highest amount until we got our house and we tried to get the loan approved. In the beginning we are already approved. The house we liked was actually $15,000 under our budget so we thought it would be no problem and fortunately however they needed so much paperwork to verify and I kept sending everything and they still were saying, "No. You need to put more money down" so we decided okay we'll put more money down.

So it's at 3%. We end up doing 5% down and then they ask for 10% down and I said we're not going to do that and I honestly believe they just want more money because that's how they make commission so they stuck with the 5% and made it work even though we were approved for the 3% down and we are under a budget and on top of that they pushed her closing a week back and on top of that now we're not even closing until Monday because of the fact that they took too long to get the documents to title so their customer service absolutely is horrible when it comes to mortgage loan and I do not recommend using USAA. Also our lender was very inexperienced and he didn't know how to do his job.

Original review: April 26, 2018

No branch locations, no ATMs, you can deposit a payroll check and they will hold 75% of your money for up to 12 days, nothing you can do about it. Flat broke, no money to eat, buy gas, or pay a bill but you can stare at that hold amount that literally no one at USAA can seem to help you with. Their suggestion; "Can you borrow money from a friend or family member?" Thanks USAA.

Original review: April 25, 2018

I used to be a faithful member of USAA – I had just moved across the country and was prepared to mortgage my next home with them. Things became concerning when between the pre-approval and the actual loan origination the rate increased by 0.50%, which adds up. I asked for a rate concession and was told no, so I decided to shop elsewhere. I got the lower rate standard, elsewhere. I was not too disgruntled so when I was shopping insurance on my new home I gave USAA a shot at my business. I work next to a USAA building in Tampa, reasonably I figured they would be able to provide homeowners’ insurance no problem. Nope, per their response, due to sinkhole possibilities in the area prevents them from offering homeowners insurance.

I find it pretty insulting that a company would have a building, and employ people in an area they think could drop into the Earth at any second and not even have the decency to insure them. This prompted me to start looking at all the other aspects of the business. When I was young and first in service I had heard all the wonderful things about USAA, and had always balance my accounts between them and Navy Federal before I finally consolidated everything with USAA. I had always figured that a company founded by veterans and for veterans would provide me the best products and services, so I blindly followed without looking out into the market.

Well, I found MMSA, Savings Accounts, Checking Accounts that all provide a higher interest rate than USAA, not just a little bit, but by a vast amount. USAA used to throw me a dollar in interest each month for allowing them to use my savings to loan money to other “members”, at my new bank I get somewhere between $30-$50, each month in interest alone! As my savings continues to grow that number will too, that is good money compared to the peanuts divvied out at USAA. As a result I moved all my banking business away from USAA.

When I paid off the mortgage on my last house with USAA I was told that within 30 days I would receive my escrow balance and any overage refund due to me. At day 30 I had received nothing, so I called. They claim they had sent out the checks over ten days earlier to my PO Box, which I never received. The representative told me they had received returned mail on my account several times, I guess they never thought to call me and ask if they have something wrong. The representative stated she would stop payment on those checks and send out new ones to my new physical address, and to allow 6-10 business days for them to arrive.

Ten business days later, nothing. I called in and was told the last representative had stopped payment on them but never sent out the new checks. I was no longer interested in waiting and asked if they could be wired. Of course! Please allow 24-48 hours. 48 hours later… Nothing. I call in and find the last guy had sent the wire this morning and I needed to wait another 24-48 hours… Unbelievable.

Later that day I received a call. Nationstar, the servicer of my mortgage with USAA could not deposit funds into my USAA account without a check that had both my wife and my name on it, they would need to mail out the checks and I would need to wait 6-10 business days. I asked to speak to a supervisor. After an extensive discussion the supervisor finally agreed to overnight the checks to me. The next day… Nothing. The day after Nothing. I called in. This time I asked for a tracking number, and got it. I checked. The label had been printed, but UPS has not yet picked up the package. I called in again and was told they would not pick it up until Monday so it should get there on Wednesday. Now, at this point I was told on a Wednesday they would be overnighted, and now was I being told it would take until Wednesday to receive my checks.

Now I have finally received my checks, at the 57 day mark. I have discussed the account with all levels of the company and have been advised that they do not feel there is any issue with this. I have spoken to representatives, managers, the President’s Complaint Team. Every one of them has informed me that they feel they have done nothing wrong. To this I ask: If a customer mails out a mortgage payment and it is not received by USAA, is there a late charge assessed? Yes. If a customer mails out a mortgage payment and it is not received by USAA does interested continue to accumulate on the remaining principal balance each day until the payment is received? Yes. USAA clearly feels that because they are the big bank and we are the little customers they do not have to abide by the same rules, and legally speaking they are correct.

However, USAA is a bank that claims to have morals and integrity, and exist for the sole purpose of serving veterans. I expect this kind of treatment from Bank of America or Chase, but I expected more from USAA. I guess that is my fault. So since I have been unable to resolve the issue with USAA, I closed all of my accounts. I have moved them to a bank that treats me better, and that I have no expectations for them to do so making it even more meaningful. USAA may see this, they may not and they probably do not care either way. But I have heard my friends and family speak of their recent dealings with USAA, and they speak with the same dissatisfaction I am expressing here. It will add up.

To all of those reading this and considering banks know this. I got my mortgage with Navy Federal Credit Union for 0.50% less than USAA was offering. I moved my Checking Account to Capital One with 0.19% more APY than USAA offered. I moved my MMSA to Capital One with 1.55% more APY than USAA offered. I got my Life Insurance with AGI for $78 less per month than USAA quoted me at. I got my Auto Insurance with Progressive for $102.87 less per month than USAA was previously giving me. Shame on me for feeling USAA was anything more than another big bank, I will not make that mistake again. Don’t be the young private in the military convinced that USAA is on your side. Don’t be the son or daughter of a service-member and think you have access to some great bank.

Original review: March 29, 2018

After being a customer of 23 years, I was verbally offered not once, but twice, to use a convenience check as part of a 6-month interest-free offer. When I saw they were charging interest I complained and they said will check the recording. That turned out to be another of three inaccurate statements, also counting when they recently did a credit check for nothing as I did not request a higher limit, which hurt my score.

So after promising to check the recording to verify if what I asserted was true, they then said they only keep the recordings for 30 days and so my assertion was invalid, and they would go with the written offer to include only purchases. They had verbally assured me that I could use the check and it would be included in the offer, and I foolishly believed their verbal advice. How convenient that they choose to erase the evidence of their mistake so they said they would not have to honor their word, even after I gave many details of conversations about it over many hour-long calls.

If you are anything promised by this company, don't act on it unless you have the phone rep send it to you in writing first, as regardless of how many years your been a good customer they will not honor their word and have found a way to effectively do a bait and switch by erasing any proof of a promise that shows they made an error. If they really cared about their customers they would keep the recordings for at least 12 months to honor their promises. Is storage capacity really such an issue in this day and age?! No of course not, so this is a corporate decision that has been made to abuse their loyal customers. The reps could not counter this point that I made again and again. This used to be a great company to deal with but I cannot and I will not now recommend it to a service member who I would not want to be treated as I have, or to anyone else, so add me to the list of other old customers they have abused.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I’ve been a USAA member for 22 years and had generally been happy with USAA. However, USAA has recently exhibited mind-boggling incompetence which resulted in all my accounts being closed due to USAA’s error. One day last year, without warning or explanation, I got a letter in the mail from USAA saying that it was closing all of my accounts in 30 days. Figuring this must be a mistake, I called USAA customer service to ask what was going on. I was told that USAA had decided to stop doing business with me, that the decision is final, and that no reason would be given to me. This meant that my children’s college accounts would be closed, my wife’s and my retirement accounts would be closed, and our checking account and credit card would be closed. I pleaded to customer service supervisors for an explanation, knowing this must be a mistake, but they said they did not have access to the reason for the decision.

True to their word, USAA closed all my accounts 30 days later. They even charged me a $20 account termination fee for closing one of the accounts. Most of my cost, though, was the hours I had to spend to move all my accounts and business to new banks and to file paperwork to avoid taxes on the closed education savings accounts. I thought long and hard about what could have prompted USAA to want to close my accounts. Then I remembered that about 6 months earlier, I had received a suspicious voicemail from someone claiming to be from USAA wanting to talk to me about activity in my checking account and asking me to call him at an unlisted number. Recognizing this as a possible phishing scam, I had instead called USAA’s main customer service number, told them about the voicemail and the name the caller gave, told them that I’m happy to answer any questions they have, and asked them what I should do.

They had said that they had no record of anyone from USAA trying to call me, that it was probably a phishing attempt, and that I should ignore it and forward a transcript of the voicemail to abuse@usaa.com. I did exactly that (and received no response). Now that USAA decided to shut down all my accounts, I began to wonder whether that voicemail actually *was* from USAA and my lack of a return call to the given unlisted number was why USAA was unhappy with me. I wrote to USAA customer service asking whether that voicemail from 6 months ago was in fact from USAA and whether that was related to them closing my accounts. In the letter, I said that if the caller wanting to ask about my account was indeed from USAA, I remain willing to answer any questions they had, since I’ve done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide. USAA did not respond to my letter.

Despite all my financial accounts with USAA being closed, I still had car insurance with USAA. When I logged in to USAA’s website a month later to get my latest insurance statement, I found that my online access had been suspended. I called USAA customer service and asked for my account to be unlocked so that I could access my insurance statement. The USAA representative kindly unlocked my account and then, without me asking him to, read me the notes in USAA’s file about me. The notes apparently said that USAA had received a letter from me asking why my account was closed, that letter had been forwarded to the office of the CEO, that they had investigated and found that the voicemail I had received 6 months earlier *was*, in fact, from USAA, and that no response should be given to me.

The USAA customer service representative said that he had never seen anything like this in his many years working at USAA. He said USAA would only drop a customer if the customer committed a grave violation and that there would typically be warnings given. He reviewed my account himself and said he saw no record of any warnings nor any suspicious activity. He agreed that my not returning the voicemail probably contributed to USAA’s decision, though he didn’t know the reason. He agreed that I had done the prudent thing by contacting USAA customer service when receiving a call asking me to call back at a non-USAA number. He recommended that I write to the office of the CEO and explain everything.

So, as suggested, I wrote to the CEO of USAA and explained how I have only ever acted in good faith to protect USAA, that I have not done anything against USAA’s interests to my knowledge, that USAA seems to have erred in telling me that they had not contacted me when they had, that USAA’s error seems to have led to USAA’s decision to close my accounts, that their account closing fee is unfair since I didn’t *choose* to close the account, and that it was poor customer service for them to not respond to my earlier letter despite the fact that they realized they had erred when they researched the matter. To this, I got a curt response saying that they had a right to stop doing business with me, that they exercised that right, and that they will not be writing to me further on this topic.

I wonder what I did to get this treatment from USAA. On one hand, whatever it was must have been very minor, since they only bothered to leave me a voicemail asking about it (no email or letter) and they let me go on using my account for most of a year after that. On the other hand, whatever it was must have been so severe as to justify shutting down all of my family’s accounts without explanation and to get no reconsideration when the matter was escalated to USAA’s CEO. Since then, 9 months have passed. I recently got a personal credit card invitation from USAA offering a $200 introductory bonus. I thought to myself that USAA must have finally come to its senses and removed me from its blacklist. I applied for the card and was accepted by USAA.

However, several days after using the card for the first time (to buy baseball tickets for my family), my account was shut down without notice. No bonus was paid to me. I received a letter in the mail saying that my account was shut down “for unacceptable behavior or activity”. I called USAA to ask what the unacceptable behavior or activity was. The USAA representative, after putting me on a long hold, told me that my account was closed for the same reason why my accounts were closed last year. I explained that I’d never gotten a reason last year and this was the first I’d heard of “unacceptable behavior or activity”. I asked if he could share details. He replied that he had no further information for me.

Since opening that credit account, I’ve received three more credit card offers from USAA. I won’t bother trying to accept them. It’s sad that a once great company like USAA has such a bad case of organizational schizophrenia and poor customer service. USAA has repeatedly demonstrated that its left hand has no idea what its right hand is doing. It punishes its good, long-term customers for being conscientious and avoiding phishing scams and it is unwilling to acknowledge when it is wrong.

Original review: March 20, 2018

We filed a dispute on our debit card for a purchase through an organization that misrepresented themselves to us, as well as many others. When we became aware that the company misrepresented their product to us, 4 business days after purchase we decided to take action. We tried to fight the company itself but we got transferred around, promised things that never happened and ultimately the company blocked us from calling them. We contacted USAA, our primary financial institution and disputed the $4k through them for deceptive practices against this company. We have been fighting USAA since November and they refuse to reverse the charge and help us recover our money. We have no recourse right now. The bank is refusing to help, the company isn't taking our calls and we are out the $4k. My husband and I both served our country and this is how they treat us?

Original review: March 17, 2018

They love to rip off military members, they will charge you fees then when it's found to be their mistake, they start holding your funds. I have been with this bank for over 10 years and have the same amount deposited on the same day every month, it is a complete rip off and scam to hold people's funds, knowing they have automatic payments set up and then have the nerve to charge them a fee, because they are holding the money that pays the bill for NO reason. I am leaving this bank asap!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I have been a USAA customer for years. I had auto, life and renter's insurance with them, and checking and savings accounts. I recently canceled all three insurance policies because their rates were significantly higher than other companies' rates - if many of your customers are veterans and you claim to be proud to serve them, why would you do this?

It used to be that if a suspicious charge appeared on my debit card, USAA would call me to verify it and if it was not mine, they reversed the charges and sent out a new card. I signed up for withdrawal alerts on charges over $1 and upon discovering an unauthorized charge recently, I called USAA to report it. They said they couldn't reverse it but they'd cancel the card number and send a new one while the fraud investigation looms. It took two days for a "temporary" refund to appear on my account and USAA emailed me to say they are investigating, but if they find the charge was valid, the refund could disappear.

What kind of change occurred for this to be the approach in handling fraud? I will most certainly be looking for a new bank after this final disappointing experience in which the customer is treated like garbage. I would have had to teleport to another state during work hours for this charge to be valid, much like previous fraudulent charges - USAA is not showing that they value customers by implementing a cumbersome process for resolving these disputes and allowing fraudsters to wreak havoc.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

USAA FSB has three strikes within the relationship between USAA and myself. First strike was a mortgage refinance - they drag their feet and lost the lock in rate. They wanted me to pay $$$$ to lock in at another rate. Made no sense - and throughout the process the amount of people we had to deal with was unreal. Very unprofessional and the worst experience I've ever had trying to obtain a mortgage. We canceled the refinance and I simply paid off the note. Second strike - I have an RV loan with USAA.

Sent a simple principal payment. They credited a 10th of the amount to my account. Not a big deal but not what was stated on the check or the detailed letter which was sent with the check. Third strike - RV loan again - credited my principal payment as a standard payment and overbilled interest on my account for the current month and on top of it pushed my auto reoccurring payments out several months. And for the second time; not what was stated on the check or the detailed letter which was sent with the check. I'm going to pay off the loan and simply leave my account dormant as in the past. I couldn't imagine trying to perform actual banking with this company.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I have been dealing with USAA for a few years and up till recently I have been satisfied. Lately the service has gone way down and there is no customer service worth anything. I started a new job and now my checks can be put on hold because they are not direct deposit at the bank's choice. I am afraid to deposit any amount of money into my account due to not having access to it right away. I will keep my account open just for my insurance payments and car loan payments. Other than that USAA is not any value to me. USAA cannot guarantee that my funds will not be put on hold and how much will be on hold till AFTER I deposit the check! No way is that happening! I would think twice about doing any business with USAA and do as I did and go to a local bank or credit union and do your business. I would give them a -10 but it will not go that low. RUN FROM THESE PEOPLE!!!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

We have been customers of USAA for over 10 years. In the last 2 we have had instances where they took advantage of us. Most recently they said that funds were not in our account when they clearly were and they held my rent check for almost a week and then charged us a 29.00 fee resulting in the check being returned. I even spoke to an agent on the phone and she ensured me that it would all clear up. This was the absolute last straw. We are in the process of switching to Navy Federal.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I’m a 20+ year customer and realized after my motor vehicle accident this company was only good until I needed them. The USAA claims process has failed me. It’s been over half a year since my accident and I’m still not back in my car. The adjuster actually just told me my vehicle would not be totaled out because the repair cost wasn’t close to the value. In what world is $27,975.00 not close to $33,000.00? I guess if you don’t add in the $6,000 in rental car fees these six months or the current costs that the second collision company will charge for the new seatbelt and fixing the constant rattling noises, labor, oh and the dealership charges for making sure the repairs were done correctly.

My car has been repaired twice and still isn’t safe to drive. There is no ETA on the seatbelt—another national back ordered part. I was asked if I wanted my car repaired or totaled and then explained the process that I would get papers in the mail for title/salvage, then today I get a call informing me the Claims Director denied totaling it and said repair some more and stay in a rental. Now I understand why Montana has a class action suit against them for claims handling. I guess they’re assuming this single mom won’t have enough money to fight. I’ll keep sharing my experience until they make this right.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

If I could, I would give them 0 stars! My husband is an Army vet and we have had our account with USAA for a few years. When we were using this account as our spending account, things were great! Now that we starting paying bills from this account, things have dramatically gone downhill! Changing banks is never easy. I began transferring funds from our Bank of America account to USAA to start paying bills from our USAA account. I transferred the funds and scheduled payments to 3 bills to be paid the next business day. When I did the funds transfer, the system said the funds would be immediately available. The next day, I check my account and there are 3 NSF fees at $29 a pop and 3 bills returned unpaid! I call USAA to find out what happened. The customer service rep was unable to provide an explanation so he refunded the NSF fees and had me reschedule the payments.

A few days later, bills were paid. Great! Well, here we are. It happened AGAIN! This time, I transferred the funds from my USAA savings account to cover bills and other spending because we were on vacation. I was hit with 4 NSF charges, 2 one day, 2 the next day, yet when I transferred the funds, the system said the funds would be immediately available. I called USAA to find out what happened. The CSR said there were not enough funds to cover the payments. Yes, there was until they took the NSF fees! The CSR claims it is a "live system" and cannot refund the NSF charges because I previously had NSF fees refunded. I explained what happened previously and that here we are again. I swear money "disappears" from my account. For example, I transferred $150 from my savings account, spent $97.40 but only have $31.20 available. How does that happen? They said there are funds "on hold" but there should be nothing pending!

It's payday again and so I transfer money to pay bills again. Now they have put the entire funds' transfer in my account on hold for 10 days and there's NOTHING they can do to release the hold. They said the transfer of funds is "expected to be returned". What the hell does that mean? The transfer was processed from the other bank! USAA is a bunch of crooks! Take your money elsewhere! We will be closing this account next month!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

USAA offers great financial tools as well as insurance, however where they egregiously fall short is banking customer service as they pertain to military service/disabled combat vets (me). For 20 yrs things were status quo, until after my deployment; I called to reconcile issues from that deployment with them when I was met with Christine (customer service "specialist") who accused me of being a fraudulent criminal for a so called charge on an account that I had thought I closed. I was unaware of the charge and Christine told me it was from a check I wrote. I knew it was incorrect because I never wrote any checks from that account... Long story short the call became adversarial and I had to strongly request a new rep. The new rep and I figured things out and found it a charge that went through unknowingly to me.

My "buyers beware" for USAA Banking is: their customer service does not know how to service/support our specific population like they advertise (lip service); nor do they care. I later attempted to file a formal complaint against the individual where I was looped around the phone system, at extend hold times; and met at times with a "end all be all" attitude. I wasn't able to file the complaint, however I did end our relationship. I left after several incidents (less insulting than this) at different times throughout the years. This one broke the back.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Thirty plus years ago, when my husband was new to the Air Force and we were a young, naive couple, USAA gave us a chance when no other large company would. We insured our one vehicle. We were given a credit card with $1000 limit to allow us to build a credit score. Now, all of this time later, when there are advertisements everywhere on TV and the company has significantly grown, all decisions are made based on "automatic systems" and not on individuals. A year and a half ago, our USAA account was hacked. We eventually received our money back and tightened security on our account.

Meantime, bills that were owed went unpaid, transfers to other accounts did not occur, and we racked up charges for overdrafts. USAA did eventually get the right thing done. However, when a less drastic instance happened and an expected deposit at another bank arrived later than scheduled due to a typo for the account number and two of our checks based on that deposit written to our USAA account could not be collected, USAA locked our checking account down, has disallowed photo check deposit or any transfer of funds from or to our USAA account. I have contacted them many times through email and phone and have only been told that the account could be locked for up to a year due to this incident and that this was the automatic system and could not be overwritten.

I finally spoke to a highly placed supervisor and he will submit a report to the review committee who may or may not release the lock on our account. When the hack happened to us, no other bank we dealt with considered such a thing. But now, after over 30 years, USAA is having a great deal of difficulty unlocking our account because 2 checks totalling 400 dollars (which were paid with re-submission of the checks) initially were returned. Despite their advertisement, personalized service is a thing of the past for USAA. It is sad, but they have grown too big for something that used to be their calling card.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

This bank is the worst!! Bunch of incompetent idiots. I was told that I was a victim of “skimming” after being charged almost $500 for a charge I didn’t make. It has been over 6 days and have not gotten my money back into my checking account. Ruined my kids Xmas! Run from this bank! I am tired of being lied to and misled by them. Filed a complaint with the BBB. Will also be contacting visa and an attorney as well as closing every account my family has with this “bank”. Gimme back my money USAA!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I recently made an online purchase with a company named Rural King, don’t buy from them, I purchased a propane heater & they sent the wrong one and refused to replace it. I contacted USAA to dispute the charge. It has now been 12 days and I still haven’t heard from them. I’m a disabled vet who lives on disability and they could care less that a vendor stole my money and I can’t heat my house properly.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Unfortunately I’m aware now that USAA is authorized to withhold cash in a family’s checking and savings accounts for undetermined amount of time. That’s right. All accounts and for as long as they like...and they can do this by just putting the account or accounts in “review” status. So why am I writing this? Because I can’t believe I’ve done business with since 1981 did it! My fiancée, her son at the Naval Academy and her other son also in College at UNF in Jacksonville Fl. All their accounts were locked without notice 6 days ago Dec 14th and unlocked today after 4 days on the phone with several departments including 1-800-USAA general, Fraud, Executive Resolution Team and several failed attempts to reach the Financial Crimes Department, whom we were told locked the account and were not available to comment or provide information why.

My fiancée’s Mom is a PhD and spouse of a career 0-6 DDS Navy Dentist). Fiancée has Master’s degree and 816 credit rating. I am career Navy Pilot retired now with 835 credit rating. Both boys are A students at Naval Academy and University of Northern FL. I’ve been with USAA since 1981 and seen their service declining steadily recently.

Their campaigns stating that they support military families...BS. They won’t even tell you on the phone what the problem is. When I looked online I couldn’t believe what I found. They don’t participate in BBB...ok but there are numerous complaints from service members stuck overseas without the resources or other bank accounts that we have access to. I’m thankful our nightmare of having thousands in cash tied up only lasted a few days in reality. For others, I feel very bad that they’ve become just another insurance company that cares little about its customers. We've alerted friends and shall continue to post and educate the general public about the power we give USAA and I’m sure others in those user agreements we sign which I didn’t think would ever be used against us this way by an ethical company without notice, reason or due process. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I recall having a small amount left over in my account, after being told that my account was closed, I then said to myself, "maybe a computer glitch things happen." I decided to give USAA a second chance, I was then told by one of the online banking person if I was to wire money to the account they would reopen my account and it will show up on Monday seeing that I was wiring the funds on Friday, I waiting till Monday to give them a call to check and see if the account was active, with all my time and effort, they had rejected the wire and funds from going into the account. When ask how come it did not go in, then I was told that I would have to reopen a NEW ACCOUNT. I recommend that all military personnel go with Navy Federal, this bank is surely not a good bank that will support the military or any other Government agency. I give it the 3 Ps. Piss Poor Performance.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

They were reliable, even if a little pricey. They made the deadline and did not let me down at any point. They called to make sure everything was going according to plan and let me know everything I needed for the entire process.

USAA Banking Company Information