USAA Banking

San Antonio, TX

USAA Banking
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.79/5

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military. The company has auto coverage options for all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers several coverage and discount options for drivers, as well as their vehicles and passengers.

BOTTOM LINE

USAA is one of the few banks that doesn’t charge monthly service fees for checking and savings accounts. If you’re eligible for an account, you can get access to competitive APY rates.

PROS

• No minimum balance requirements
  • More than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs
  • Competitive APY

CONS

• Strict eligibility requirements
  • Few branch locations

Top USAA Banking Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

USAA, for those of us eligible, is a fantastic bank... My accounts have no fees but I'm unsure if that's because I'm retired active duty (started account while AD) or if all accounts are without fees... I'd highly recommend USAA for anyone eligible to make an account.

The downside to an online bank is a lack of brick and mortar locations when you need a sum of cash that exceeds the daily withdrawal limit, a cashiers check... The customer service is excellent.

What is USAA Bank?

USAA is a members-only bank for active-duty military personnel, veterans and those who have close family ties to military personnel. USAA offers a wide selection of financial services, including checking and savings accounts, credit cards and loans for cars, homes and personal expenditures. Members can also manage their financial assets with fixed-rate CDs that have flexible terms.

USAA online banking helps members save time and money with online bill pay and a suite of free budgeting tools. USAA members can send and receive money using the USAA bank app, Zelle, and deposit checks from their phones.

USAA financial services

USAA banking services include both checking and savings accounts. USAA offers two checking accounts — USAA Classic Checking and USAA Youth Spending. USAA Youth Spending is a checking account with parental controls for people less than 18 years old. Classic Checking and Youth Spending have no monthly service fees or minimum balance requirements. Checking accounts require a $25 deposit to open.

USAA loan services offer home mortgages and loans for cars, motorcycles, RVs, boats and personal lines of credit. USAA Bank has several mortgage options, including 15- and 30-year conventional loans, VA loans and jumbo loans. USAA’s wealth management services include two savings account options. Savings accounts require no minimum balance and do not have any monthly service fees. USAA's financial planning services offer CD terms ranging from 30 days to seven years with fixed rates for one, two and five years.

USAA Banking FAQ

Who can open a USAA bank account?
    Any active or former military member or person who is an eligible family member can open a USAA banking account.
    What ATMs are free with USAA?
    Members have access to more than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs nationwide. Any USAA Bank-owned ATM is free for USAA members. Members get 10 free ATM withdrawals each month at non-USAA Bank ATMs, and USAA refunds members up to $15 per month for non-USAA Bank ATM charges.
    How can I deposit money into my USAA account?
    You can use the USAA mobile app to deposit checks into your account from anywhere. You can also deposit money into your account at select USAA ATMs and branch locations.
    Can I join USAA if my grandfather served?
    No. Only widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of USAA members who joined before or during the marriage can join USAA. Individuals whose parents are USAA members are also eligible.
    Can you open a second checking account with USAA?
    Yes. You can open a checking account with a $25 deposit. USAA does not require you to maintain a minimum balance after opening your account.
    Where is USAA Bank located?
    USAA Bank is based in San Antonio, Texas. USAA has five physical locations, which are located in Texas, Colorado, New York, Maryland and at West Point Military Academy in New York. However, USAA has more than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs in the U.S. that cover all states except Nevada, Montana and Wyoming.

Is USAA a good bank?

USAA is one of the best and most trusted banks in the country. It's known for its renowned customer service and strict eligibility requirements. If you have an opportunity to join USAA, you should consider taking it. The bank offers free checking with no service fees or minimum balance requirements but does not offer high-yield savings accounts.

USAA Banking Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Banking?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

I was with B of A for 25 yrs, until one day I got a refund check from a business that I had a warranty issue with. B of A charged me 9 dollars to cash the check. I decided to cash the check because I was concerned it may not be any good since my battle to get the refund took months and a lot of stress getting there. Needless to say I decided at that point B of A did not treat me as a valued 25 yr customer so I left. I went to USAA as I had been with them for 12 yrs as a Credit Card and insurance client. I have had issues in my life that USAA handled without me feeling undervalued, including someone used my CC for purchase I did not authorize. Additionally, they helped me manage my mother's investments after her stroke and since finance a 180k RV which I had problems getting the loan through other banks. I am with USAA for life!!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I joined USAA a few years back and am very happy I did. Nice touch when you call in is that they address you automatically by name (and rank) and have immediate access to my account information to begin helping me with my queries, versus mechanically asking for my account number, asking my name, then repeating everything I say and not active listening, hence prolonging the process until getting to my query. I have closed my accounts with my previous bank and now do all my savings/checking banking through USAA. Plus utilize my USAA credit card most because I can pay it immediately from my checking account. I don't think that I should be limited to how many electronic transfers I do between accounts, since it's digital and doesn't require manpower. And believe since my credit score has been excellent for some time now, they could work with me to do better on the credit card's APR.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

USAA, for those of us eligible, is a fantastic bank. Active/reserve/National Guard military members, retired, and most veterans & families are allowed. My accounts have no fees but I'm unsure if that's because I'm retired active duty (started account while AD) or if all accounts are without fees. Even though USAA is an On-line bank, I haven't had any issue with the inability of actually going to a brick & mortar bank - in fact, it's actually quite refreshing. There aren't fees at ATMs but I typically just get whatever amount of cash I might need at the grocery or other store during checkout. I'd highly recommend USAA for anyone eligible to make an account.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2020

Their mobile app is very simplistic and easy to use. I can scan my deposit and it is posted the same day. The Customer service is very friendly and are concerned about helping you. They are very knowledgeable about their products and will offer other products that may fit your needs better. I also like the fact that they share some of their profits with their customers. Each year I get a deposit in my checking account that varies with their success. No other bank I know does that.

Original review: July 26, 2020

USAA is an excellent bank for veterans and their family members who have served in the military. The customer service is excellent and friendly with the ability to inquire via phone or chat. The variety of services and products available is extensive. The online banking app and mobile app is easy to use and safe with 2 factor authentication. Their security measures are top notch. They have no monthly fees for their accounts only overdraft fees, which is understandable. My one and only complaint is the wait times to reach a customer service representative, at times, can be a little long. Perhaps they need to hire more reps. That is a merely an inconvenience. I highly recommend USAA Bank.

Original review: April 13, 2021

USAA USED to be an outstanding company but they lost their way long ago. I've been a member for 40 years. That ends now. I have filed so many complaints with USAA that when I got a phone call from the CEO's office, they asked me to call back. When I did, they asked me why I was calling...what was my issue. I wasn't certain because I'd filed so many complaints. They never figured out why they called me. That's just ONE indicator of why USAA is no longer an outstanding company.

My latest complaint is that in Sep 2020, we bought an item via the internet using our USAA credit card. After many back and forth emails with the company and not getting the item we ordered, I asked for my money back and waited a couple weeks for it. No luck. I filed a complaint with USAA. Their online complaint system is inadequate. It should tell you precisely what they need from you. I gave them what I thought they wanted.

Several weeks later they sent a notice to me that they needed more and told me what they needed (why didn't they just list that in their online application???). We had recently moved and apparently I didn't update my mailing address with them quickly enough and they sent it to an old address. I didn't get that notice for about a month. By then they closed the complaint because I didn't respond. I called and got it reopened. I talked to customer service and they said to email them the documents and they’d get them to the right person. I did. They indicated it could take several months to investigate.

About a month ago I realized I’d not heard from USAA. Again I contacted customer service. They apologized all over the place because apparently the dispute team hadn’t done anything... My complaint must have fallen through the cracks. They sent a rush notice for them to get right on it. About 10 days later I got a notice that my dispute was rejected since I didn’t provide any new information.

I called customer service again. This time we concluded that what I sent in Nov never got posted and no one bothered to tell me. USAA’s incompetence once again has struck. I sent ALL the documents they required. Today I got a letter from USAA that says, “We’ve completed our investigation of the dispute, and based on the information provided, we’ve determined a billing error did not occur. By the time the required information was received, the dispute was beyond max VISA processing time limits. As such USAA has no further recourse with the merchant.” Now that’s just bogus. They could have at LEAST been honest and said something like, “It appears that a billing error occurred but due to the time involved we cannot resolve this.” I wouldn’t like that anymore but at least it would have been honest. It’s CLEAR an error occurred... I used a USAA credit card and charged $308 and got nothing for it.

This is the last nail in USAA’s coffin. I’ve tolerated their myriad of incompetencies over the years and have made NUMEROUS suggestions to them on ways they could improve their service. Everything falls on deaf ears. Now it is going to become my primary goal to besmirch USAA on every outlet I can find on the internet. I will also close my last account with them (used to have 5) and take my business elsewhere. P.S. When we moved to TX 10 months ago I researched insurance companies. Of the 5 companies I checked, USAA was the highest for auto and also highest for homeowners. I got BOTH through another company for less than what USAA wanted just for homeowners.

Original review: April 1, 2021

USAA is not the advantage it used to be, but more importantly is you’re no longer a person there. You’ll now find that without a digital verification they will not talk to whoever has your phone, they will talk to anyone that has your phone and verifies talking from the phone that was yours, but it lost or stolen, the new owner is verified as you. Likewise, the backup verification is your credit card, which if stolen with the phone, then you’re absolutely no longer a person, as the device or card has more identity than you as a person does. Enjoy having been mugged, or ripped off, and losing the security that your bank used to give you facing adversity around the world; sadly, that doesn’t exist anymore.

Original review: March 8, 2021

I have been using USAA Federal Savings Bank for many years. At first it was great - no minimum balance for free checking; ATM rebates. However, their service has deteriorated markedly. There is no way to email USAA Savings Bank. They have a poor chat interface. And if you are unlucky enough to need to call them, good luck.

I tried to contact the bank last week after they emailed me, stating that my USAA credit card had been used on someone's Apple Pay. I started off by calling them - once I got thru their recordings, I was told that the wait would be 2 hours and 20 minutes to talk to a representative. You have got to be kidding me - I would not wait that long on the phone to talk to the Pope!

Next I tried their chat feature. They were authorized to do nothing! The representative told me I would need to call. So I tried calling a different number. This time they offered a feature in which they would call me back when my turn came up. No call! Not sure what happened to this bank in the last few years, but I would not recommend them now to my worst enemy.

Original review: March 6, 2021

A couple weeks age my checking account was used for unauthorized transactions Some of which USAA was able to stop. However two transactions appear to not have stopped. USAA has shown little interest in investigating a transaction involving a $6,200 payment to a what appears to be a charge account at Chase Bank. The personnel at USAA are the only parties that can provide enough information to trace this transaction and have Chase reverse the transaction and return the funds to my USAA checking account. USAA has shown only minor interest in dealing with this problem. In addition there was a cashier's type check issued to a party in Florida which has received little to no attention.

Now USAA decided to close my checking account although I have been a member for 56 years and I am 81 years old. First they froze the account for 60 days then they will close it after this period has elapsed. This hardly seems right for a person who has been with USAA for all of this time and is of an advanced age. Something needs to be done about these unreasonable arbitrary decisions.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2021

USAA has gone way down hill! I encourage all of my friends to take a look at the decline in service from USAA, banking and or insurance, and to find a new company to give your business to. I have been a member and customer of USAA since I was 16 when I started to drive for their insurance and since I enlisted in the Army in 1993 for all of our banking needs and their customer service has gone from one of the best to one of the worst. We refinanced our vehicle over a year ago (Jan 20) and we thought everything was going fine. We were making our payments and had not heard that anything was wrong. It wasn't until our vehicle was totaled in July that we found at that USAA was not doing their job.

When Geico (yes we had already started to move some of the services) attempted to payoff the vehicle, USSA then informed us that they actually did not have the title as yet. WHAT you might say? Over 6 months and they did not let us know that they still did not have the title. Over the next six months I have had numerous calls every month working to resolve this issue. Finally, in January 2021 Geico was finally able to pay USAA the amount determined when the Vehicle was totaled. Now here is the fun part - USAA is charging me interest for the last 6 months. Months in which I did not have the vehicle and for all of that time they wasted.

USAA has grown too big and forgotten that they are supposed to be providing customer service. We are taking all of our business away from USAA. I would encourage each of you to measure the customer service and compare how a company should treat you. USAA is not operating with the interest of Veterans in mind or in keeping with the trust that they have been shown with my business for over 37 years. GOOD BYE USAA. You do not deserve to my business.

USAA Banking Company Information