1.52/5
Based on 56 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

San Antonio, TX

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: March 29, 2018

364 USAA Banking Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: March 29, 2018

After being a customer of 23 years, I was verbally offered not once, but twice, to use a convenience check as part of a 6-month interest-free offer. When I saw they were charging interest I complained and they said will check the recording. That turned out to be another of three inaccurate statements, also counting when they recently did a credit check for nothing as I did not request a higher limit, which hurt my score.

So after promising to check the recording to verify if what I asserted was true, they then said they only keep the recordings for 30 days and so my assertion was invalid, and they would go with the written offer to include only purchases. They had verbally assured me that I could use the check and it would be included in the offer, and I foolishly believed their verbal advice. How convenient that they choose to erase the evidence of their mistake so they said they would not have to honor their word, even after I gave many details of conversations about it over many hour-long calls.

If you are anything promised by this company, don't act on it unless you have the phone rep send it to you in writing first, as regardless of how many years your been a good customer they will not honor their word and have found a way to effectively do a bait and switch by erasing any proof of a promise that shows they made an error. If they really cared about their customers they would keep the recordings for at least 12 months to honor their promises. Is storage capacity really such an issue in this day and age?! No of course not, so this is a corporate decision that has been made to abuse their loyal customers. The reps could not counter this point that I made again and again. This used to be a great company to deal with but I cannot and I will not now recommend it to a service member who I would not want to be treated as I have, or to anyone else, so add me to the list of other old customers they have abused.

Original review: March 28, 2018

I’ve been a USAA member for 22 years and had generally been happy with USAA. However, USAA has recently exhibited mind-boggling incompetence which resulted in all my accounts being closed due to USAA’s error. One day last year, without warning or explanation, I got a letter in the mail from USAA saying that it was closing all of my accounts in 30 days. Figuring this must be a mistake, I called USAA customer service to ask what was going on. I was told that USAA had decided to stop doing business with me, that the decision is final, and that no reason would be given to me. This meant that my children’s college accounts would be closed, my wife’s and my retirement accounts would be closed, and our checking account and credit card would be closed. I pleaded to customer service supervisors for an explanation, knowing this must be a mistake, but they said they did not have access to the reason for the decision.

True to their word, USAA closed all my accounts 30 days later. They even charged me a $20 account termination fee for closing one of the accounts. Most of my cost, though, was the hours I had to spend to move all my accounts and business to new banks and to file paperwork to avoid taxes on the closed education savings accounts. I thought long and hard about what could have prompted USAA to want to close my accounts. Then I remembered that about 6 months earlier, I had received a suspicious voicemail from someone claiming to be from USAA wanting to talk to me about activity in my checking account and asking me to call him at an unlisted number. Recognizing this as a possible phishing scam, I had instead called USAA’s main customer service number, told them about the voicemail and the name the caller gave, told them that I’m happy to answer any questions they have, and asked them what I should do.

They had said that they had no record of anyone from USAA trying to call me, that it was probably a phishing attempt, and that I should ignore it and forward a transcript of the voicemail to abuse@usaa.com. I did exactly that (and received no response). Now that USAA decided to shut down all my accounts, I began to wonder whether that voicemail actually *was* from USAA and my lack of a return call to the given unlisted number was why USAA was unhappy with me. I wrote to USAA customer service asking whether that voicemail from 6 months ago was in fact from USAA and whether that was related to them closing my accounts. In the letter, I said that if the caller wanting to ask about my account was indeed from USAA, I remain willing to answer any questions they had, since I’ve done nothing wrong and have nothing to hide. USAA did not respond to my letter.

Despite all my financial accounts with USAA being closed, I still had car insurance with USAA. When I logged in to USAA’s website a month later to get my latest insurance statement, I found that my online access had been suspended. I called USAA customer service and asked for my account to be unlocked so that I could access my insurance statement. The USAA representative kindly unlocked my account and then, without me asking him to, read me the notes in USAA’s file about me. The notes apparently said that USAA had received a letter from me asking why my account was closed, that letter had been forwarded to the office of the CEO, that they had investigated and found that the voicemail I had received 6 months earlier *was*, in fact, from USAA, and that no response should be given to me.

The USAA customer service representative said that he had never seen anything like this in his many years working at USAA. He said USAA would only drop a customer if the customer committed a grave violation and that there would typically be warnings given. He reviewed my account himself and said he saw no record of any warnings nor any suspicious activity. He agreed that my not returning the voicemail probably contributed to USAA’s decision, though he didn’t know the reason. He agreed that I had done the prudent thing by contacting USAA customer service when receiving a call asking me to call back at a non-USAA number. He recommended that I write to the office of the CEO and explain everything.

So, as suggested, I wrote to the CEO of USAA and explained how I have only ever acted in good faith to protect USAA, that I have not done anything against USAA’s interests to my knowledge, that USAA seems to have erred in telling me that they had not contacted me when they had, that USAA’s error seems to have led to USAA’s decision to close my accounts, that their account closing fee is unfair since I didn’t *choose* to close the account, and that it was poor customer service for them to not respond to my earlier letter despite the fact that they realized they had erred when they researched the matter. To this, I got a curt response saying that they had a right to stop doing business with me, that they exercised that right, and that they will not be writing to me further on this topic.

I wonder what I did to get this treatment from USAA. On one hand, whatever it was must have been very minor, since they only bothered to leave me a voicemail asking about it (no email or letter) and they let me go on using my account for most of a year after that. On the other hand, whatever it was must have been so severe as to justify shutting down all of my family’s accounts without explanation and to get no reconsideration when the matter was escalated to USAA’s CEO. Since then, 9 months have passed. I recently got a personal credit card invitation from USAA offering a $200 introductory bonus. I thought to myself that USAA must have finally come to its senses and removed me from its blacklist. I applied for the card and was accepted by USAA.

However, several days after using the card for the first time (to buy baseball tickets for my family), my account was shut down without notice. No bonus was paid to me. I received a letter in the mail saying that my account was shut down “for unacceptable behavior or activity”. I called USAA to ask what the unacceptable behavior or activity was. The USAA representative, after putting me on a long hold, told me that my account was closed for the same reason why my accounts were closed last year. I explained that I’d never gotten a reason last year and this was the first I’d heard of “unacceptable behavior or activity”. I asked if he could share details. He replied that he had no further information for me.

Since opening that credit account, I’ve received three more credit card offers from USAA. I won’t bother trying to accept them. It’s sad that a once great company like USAA has such a bad case of organizational schizophrenia and poor customer service. USAA has repeatedly demonstrated that its left hand has no idea what its right hand is doing. It punishes its good, long-term customers for being conscientious and avoiding phishing scams and it is unwilling to acknowledge when it is wrong.

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: March 20, 2018

We filed a dispute on our debit card for a purchase through an organization that misrepresented themselves to us, as well as many others. When we became aware that the company misrepresented their product to us, 4 business days after purchase we decided to take action. We tried to fight the company itself but we got transferred around, promised things that never happened and ultimately the company blocked us from calling them. We contacted USAA, our primary financial institution and disputed the $4k through them for deceptive practices against this company. We have been fighting USAA since November and they refuse to reverse the charge and help us recover our money. We have no recourse right now. The bank is refusing to help, the company isn't taking our calls and we are out the $4k. My husband and I both served our country and this is how they treat us?

Original review: March 17, 2018

They love to rip off military members, they will charge you fees then when it's found to be their mistake, they start holding your funds. I have been with this bank for over 10 years and have the same amount deposited on the same day every month, it is a complete rip off and scam to hold people's funds, knowing they have automatic payments set up and then have the nerve to charge them a fee, because they are holding the money that pays the bill for NO reason. I am leaving this bank asap!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I have been a USAA customer for years. I had auto, life and renter's insurance with them, and checking and savings accounts. I recently canceled all three insurance policies because their rates were significantly higher than other companies' rates - if many of your customers are veterans and you claim to be proud to serve them, why would you do this?

It used to be that if a suspicious charge appeared on my debit card, USAA would call me to verify it and if it was not mine, they reversed the charges and sent out a new card. I signed up for withdrawal alerts on charges over $1 and upon discovering an unauthorized charge recently, I called USAA to report it. They said they couldn't reverse it but they'd cancel the card number and send a new one while the fraud investigation looms. It took two days for a "temporary" refund to appear on my account and USAA emailed me to say they are investigating, but if they find the charge was valid, the refund could disappear.

What kind of change occurred for this to be the approach in handling fraud? I will most certainly be looking for a new bank after this final disappointing experience in which the customer is treated like garbage. I would have had to teleport to another state during work hours for this charge to be valid, much like previous fraudulent charges - USAA is not showing that they value customers by implementing a cumbersome process for resolving these disputes and allowing fraudsters to wreak havoc.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

USAA FSB has three strikes within the relationship between USAA and myself. First strike was a mortgage refinance - they drag their feet and lost the lock in rate. They wanted me to pay $$$$ to lock in at another rate. Made no sense - and throughout the process the amount of people we had to deal with was unreal. Very unprofessional and the worst experience I've ever had trying to obtain a mortgage. We canceled the refinance and I simply paid off the note. Second strike - I have an RV loan with USAA.

Sent a simple principal payment. They credited a 10th of the amount to my account. Not a big deal but not what was stated on the check or the detailed letter which was sent with the check. Third strike - RV loan again - credited my principal payment as a standard payment and overbilled interest on my account for the current month and on top of it pushed my auto reoccurring payments out several months. And for the second time; not what was stated on the check or the detailed letter which was sent with the check. I'm going to pay off the loan and simply leave my account dormant as in the past. I couldn't imagine trying to perform actual banking with this company.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

I have been dealing with USAA for a few years and up till recently I have been satisfied. Lately the service has gone way down and there is no customer service worth anything. I started a new job and now my checks can be put on hold because they are not direct deposit at the bank's choice. I am afraid to deposit any amount of money into my account due to not having access to it right away. I will keep my account open just for my insurance payments and car loan payments. Other than that USAA is not any value to me. USAA cannot guarantee that my funds will not be put on hold and how much will be on hold till AFTER I deposit the check! No way is that happening! I would think twice about doing any business with USAA and do as I did and go to a local bank or credit union and do your business. I would give them a -10 but it will not go that low. RUN FROM THESE PEOPLE!!!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2018

We have been customers of USAA for over 10 years. In the last 2 we have had instances where they took advantage of us. Most recently they said that funds were not in our account when they clearly were and they held my rent check for almost a week and then charged us a 29.00 fee resulting in the check being returned. I even spoke to an agent on the phone and she ensured me that it would all clear up. This was the absolute last straw. We are in the process of switching to Navy Federal.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

I’m a 20+ year customer and realized after my motor vehicle accident this company was only good until I needed them. The USAA claims process has failed me. It’s been over half a year since my accident and I’m still not back in my car. The adjuster actually just told me my vehicle would not be totaled out because the repair cost wasn’t close to the value. In what world is $27,975.00 not close to $33,000.00? I guess if you don’t add in the $6,000 in rental car fees these six months or the current costs that the second collision company will charge for the new seatbelt and fixing the constant rattling noises, labor, oh and the dealership charges for making sure the repairs were done correctly.

My car has been repaired twice and still isn’t safe to drive. There is no ETA on the seatbelt—another national back ordered part. I was asked if I wanted my car repaired or totaled and then explained the process that I would get papers in the mail for title/salvage, then today I get a call informing me the Claims Director denied totaling it and said repair some more and stay in a rental. Now I understand why Montana has a class action suit against them for claims handling. I guess they’re assuming this single mom won’t have enough money to fight. I’ll keep sharing my experience until they make this right.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2018

If I could, I would give them 0 stars! My husband is an Army vet and we have had our account with USAA for a few years. When we were using this account as our spending account, things were great! Now that we starting paying bills from this account, things have dramatically gone downhill! Changing banks is never easy. I began transferring funds from our Bank of America account to USAA to start paying bills from our USAA account. I transferred the funds and scheduled payments to 3 bills to be paid the next business day. When I did the funds transfer, the system said the funds would be immediately available. The next day, I check my account and there are 3 NSF fees at $29 a pop and 3 bills returned unpaid! I call USAA to find out what happened. The customer service rep was unable to provide an explanation so he refunded the NSF fees and had me reschedule the payments.

A few days later, bills were paid. Great! Well, here we are. It happened AGAIN! This time, I transferred the funds from my USAA savings account to cover bills and other spending because we were on vacation. I was hit with 4 NSF charges, 2 one day, 2 the next day, yet when I transferred the funds, the system said the funds would be immediately available. I called USAA to find out what happened. The CSR said there were not enough funds to cover the payments. Yes, there was until they took the NSF fees! The CSR claims it is a "live system" and cannot refund the NSF charges because I previously had NSF fees refunded. I explained what happened previously and that here we are again. I swear money "disappears" from my account. For example, I transferred $150 from my savings account, spent $97.40 but only have $31.20 available. How does that happen? They said there are funds "on hold" but there should be nothing pending!

It's payday again and so I transfer money to pay bills again. Now they have put the entire funds' transfer in my account on hold for 10 days and there's NOTHING they can do to release the hold. They said the transfer of funds is "expected to be returned". What the hell does that mean? The transfer was processed from the other bank! USAA is a bunch of crooks! Take your money elsewhere! We will be closing this account next month!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

USAA offers great financial tools as well as insurance, however where they egregiously fall short is banking customer service as they pertain to military service/disabled combat vets (me). For 20 yrs things were status quo, until after my deployment; I called to reconcile issues from that deployment with them when I was met with Christine (customer service "specialist") who accused me of being a fraudulent criminal for a so called charge on an account that I had thought I closed. I was unaware of the charge and Christine told me it was from a check I wrote. I knew it was incorrect because I never wrote any checks from that account... Long story short the call became adversarial and I had to strongly request a new rep. The new rep and I figured things out and found it a charge that went through unknowingly to me.

My "buyers beware" for USAA Banking is: their customer service does not know how to service/support our specific population like they advertise (lip service); nor do they care. I later attempted to file a formal complaint against the individual where I was looped around the phone system, at extend hold times; and met at times with a "end all be all" attitude. I wasn't able to file the complaint, however I did end our relationship. I left after several incidents (less insulting than this) at different times throughout the years. This one broke the back.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

Thirty plus years ago, when my husband was new to the Air Force and we were a young, naive couple, USAA gave us a chance when no other large company would. We insured our one vehicle. We were given a credit card with $1000 limit to allow us to build a credit score. Now, all of this time later, when there are advertisements everywhere on TV and the company has significantly grown, all decisions are made based on "automatic systems" and not on individuals. A year and a half ago, our USAA account was hacked. We eventually received our money back and tightened security on our account.

Meantime, bills that were owed went unpaid, transfers to other accounts did not occur, and we racked up charges for overdrafts. USAA did eventually get the right thing done. However, when a less drastic instance happened and an expected deposit at another bank arrived later than scheduled due to a typo for the account number and two of our checks based on that deposit written to our USAA account could not be collected, USAA locked our checking account down, has disallowed photo check deposit or any transfer of funds from or to our USAA account. I have contacted them many times through email and phone and have only been told that the account could be locked for up to a year due to this incident and that this was the automatic system and could not be overwritten.

I finally spoke to a highly placed supervisor and he will submit a report to the review committee who may or may not release the lock on our account. When the hack happened to us, no other bank we dealt with considered such a thing. But now, after over 30 years, USAA is having a great deal of difficulty unlocking our account because 2 checks totalling 400 dollars (which were paid with re-submission of the checks) initially were returned. Despite their advertisement, personalized service is a thing of the past for USAA. It is sad, but they have grown too big for something that used to be their calling card.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

This bank is the worst!! Bunch of incompetent idiots. I was told that I was a victim of “skimming” after being charged almost $500 for a charge I didn’t make. It has been over 6 days and have not gotten my money back into my checking account. Ruined my kids Xmas! Run from this bank! I am tired of being lied to and misled by them. Filed a complaint with the BBB. Will also be contacting visa and an attorney as well as closing every account my family has with this “bank”. Gimme back my money USAA!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I recently made an online purchase with a company named Rural King, don’t buy from them, I purchased a propane heater & they sent the wrong one and refused to replace it. I contacted USAA to dispute the charge. It has now been 12 days and I still haven’t heard from them. I’m a disabled vet who lives on disability and they could care less that a vendor stole my money and I can’t heat my house properly.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2017

Unfortunately I’m aware now that USAA is authorized to withhold cash in a family’s checking and savings accounts for undetermined amount of time. That’s right. All accounts and for as long as they like...and they can do this by just putting the account or accounts in “review” status. So why am I writing this? Because I can’t believe I’ve done business with since 1981 did it! My fiancée, her son at the Naval Academy and her other son also in College at UNF in Jacksonville Fl. All their accounts were locked without notice 6 days ago Dec 14th and unlocked today after 4 days on the phone with several departments including 1-800-USAA general, Fraud, Executive Resolution Team and several failed attempts to reach the Financial Crimes Department, whom we were told locked the account and were not available to comment or provide information why.

My fiancée’s Mom is a PhD and spouse of a career 0-6 DDS Navy Dentist). Fiancée has Master’s degree and 816 credit rating. I am career Navy Pilot retired now with 835 credit rating. Both boys are A students at Naval Academy and University of Northern FL. I’ve been with USAA since 1981 and seen their service declining steadily recently.

Their campaigns stating that they support military families...BS. They won’t even tell you on the phone what the problem is. When I looked online I couldn’t believe what I found. They don’t participate in BBB...ok but there are numerous complaints from service members stuck overseas without the resources or other bank accounts that we have access to. I’m thankful our nightmare of having thousands in cash tied up only lasted a few days in reality. For others, I feel very bad that they’ve become just another insurance company that cares little about its customers. We've alerted friends and shall continue to post and educate the general public about the power we give USAA and I’m sure others in those user agreements we sign which I didn’t think would ever be used against us this way by an ethical company without notice, reason or due process. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I recall having a small amount left over in my account, after being told that my account was closed, I then said to myself, "maybe a computer glitch things happen." I decided to give USAA a second chance, I was then told by one of the online banking person if I was to wire money to the account they would reopen my account and it will show up on Monday seeing that I was wiring the funds on Friday, I waiting till Monday to give them a call to check and see if the account was active, with all my time and effort, they had rejected the wire and funds from going into the account. When ask how come it did not go in, then I was told that I would have to reopen a NEW ACCOUNT. I recommend that all military personnel go with Navy Federal, this bank is surely not a good bank that will support the military or any other Government agency. I give it the 3 Ps. Piss Poor Performance.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2017

They were reliable, even if a little pricey. They made the deadline and did not let me down at any point. They called to make sure everything was going according to plan and let me know everything I needed for the entire process.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2017

I transferred 3000.00 into savings from another bank account linked to my USAA account followed by a 2000.00 transfer into my checking account. Now a week later my money is still not available. When I called them they said there is nothing they can do even though my other bank says the funds have been transferred on the same day transfers were made. USAA is holding the funds for 10 days drawing interest and preventing me from buying x-mas gifts for my child and family. They are a terrible bank. I do not recommend them...

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

Paid account on a direct debit that cleared as day of transaction. Refused to take any action on account for 14 days. Held up purchase of home with potential loss of property and earnest money. No way to run a banking operation.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2017

After being a customer for over 10 years they have decided to cancel my bank account with no warning or explanation of why. How this all came about is I lost my atm card, I requested a new one. After receiving the new one I tried to activate it. After being on hold for 20-30 minutes I was told I no longer have an account. I flipped out because I had account with a positive balance and now they are telling me I don’t. They stated if I have a positive balance they will send a check in 30-45 days. So you can imagine how upset someone would be if this was their main form of banking and now you have to wait 30-45 days to get your money. I am not talking about 100-200 dollars, I am talking about over 50,000. This company is discriminatory against anyone with a history and it’s not right.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2017

USAA Federal is a great place for lending whether it be auto loan or mortgage. The service is fantastic and the rates are more than competitive. Highly recommend.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2017

My father has been with this bank for years, I opened an account with them and it's been hell ever since. I transferred money to my account when I opened it, a week later I received an email stating that they needed a copy of my DL, a copy of my SS card and verification of my address. They also locked me out of my account until they received the documents. I sent it in and never heard back from anyone. I decided to call them to see if they received everything. They told me yes but they needed my documents to be in color and they needed a back copy of my DL and my SS card which the email never indicated that. Mind you all my documents were readable, so finally a supervisor came on and said that she didn't know why they told me that my documents had to be in color. So she told me to just send in proof of my address like a lease. So I did that.

So again I called again and they told me that yes they did received my lease but It didn't show where it was signed. So I told the rep to just cancel my account and send me my money, she informed me that she couldn't transfer to me anymore because they needed my documents, I again asked for a supervisor and she told me that no one will talk to me because they needed documents. This is the WORST bank I have ever had to deal with. All I want is my money back and close this account. I don't ever want to deal with these ppl. If I want to close my account why does it matter that you receive my lease. PLEASE CLOSE MY ACCOUNT AND SEND ME MY MONEY BACK. I have heard so many bad things about this bank and didn't want to believe it but I have had first hand to see what they were talking about. I will never refer anyone to bank with y'all... Bad customer service all around.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2017

I have been a customer of USAA for about 12 years and never have I been treated so poorly. They closed my checking account citing that I was using it for business purposes and they don't have business checking accounts. I received a letter regarding this issue about a month ago and I called them immediately and was told my account was flagged due to my Paypal business account being linked and transactions that were made. I explained that this has always been the case and was never an issue before. I further explained that my checking account was for personal use and was left with the impression that everything was handled and my account was in good standing.

Today, 11/7/17, my card was declined. When I called USAA, I was told it was because of the account being used for business use. After several calls, much explanation from me and much frustration, USAA is closing my checking account, without warning. When I asked why I wasn't informed, I was told that they mailed me a letter today... the same day the account was put into credit only status. This means I have no access to my money. They are not willing to give me access to my money by transferring to another account or withdrawing the money, etc. I am supposed to wait for 7-10 business days after they decide to permanently close the account to receive a check. USAA is keeping my money hostage. How is this not fraudulent or at the very least unethical behavior?

If I had been told when I first called a month ago that I needed to change the name on my Paypal account, I would have done so. I was not made aware how dire a violation this was to buy things with my Paypal business account or transfer funds to my checking account from said Paypal account. Again, the first letter was a warning and I was led to believe it was a non-issue and the note on the account would be sufficient. When I asked to speak to management to try to resolve the issue, I was told they would send in my feedback. I was told that nothing could or would be done and was made to feel ashamed and like I had committed some horrible crime. I have also been locked out of my online and mobile access so I am unable to access any of my accounts with USAA including my insurance, the kids’ savings accounts and their college funds. All of which I will be taking elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Like many above we are a three generation member family, all military. I have been an insurance member since 1975. To date I've had excellent service from USAA. We started internet banking with USAA about three years ago. Four months ago I was unable to login to my account. Each attempt comes up with a window that says they are having technical difficulty and to try later. I didn't realize how prophetic that statement was. Thus far, after almost five months, my experience has been as others have described above. Compartmentalization (one hand there does not have access to what the other hand is doing or knows), "tickets," raising the priority level, complete lack of follow-up, and long hours spent on the phone re-educating the latest supervisor on the problem. The original problem continues to exist. After dealing with the seemingly uncaring entry level person I end up with talking to a caring supervisor. But it never goes farther.

I get choked to death with all the verbal gratitudes and apologies, but they are in reality just company rubber stamps meant to appease. There is no "ownership." If there was a direct phone number to any of the retired generals who are directors of USAA available I would call it. Are they not aware? If USAA was within 100 miles of where we live I would go sit in their office and not leave until I got what I needed. If this were a military unit, and this were an inspection, it would rate an UNSAT. There is someone at USAA that is responsible to its members to make sure it serves and responds to them. Not only does that person need to relieved for us the members, but for the reputation of the USAA institution that took decades to earn. I'm leaving USAA Banking. If the same systemic problems show up in insurance, I'll regretfully leave that too.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

USAA is such a racket, it's hard to articulate. I would not encourage ANYONE to bank with this company. Once upon a time, long ago, USAA was the elite of financial institutions. Now they are the same if not worse than the big conglomerate institutions that hide behind automated tellers, offshore customer service, savvy marketing. I haven't heard "I'm sorry but there's nothing we can do" so often in my life. Huge disappointment. I pray the young veterans seek financial business elsewhere and not get caught up with ridiculous institution. Just horrible!!!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

I have been a USAA member for over 45 years. I have used most of their banking services especially to pay bills and make money transfers to and from other accounts. Recently I made a $3000 transfer from another bank to my USAA account using the USAA website to originate the transaction. When I looked at the other account, $3000 had been transferred out twice. Each time I call USAA bank for assistance, I get a new clerk who does not understand what happened and I have to explain what I see in the accounts. I have gone back and forth several times with these people with no satisfactory results. The other bank, Bank of Pensacola, has been very helpful and has also communicated directly with people at USAA bank.

The people at Bank of Pensacola understand what has happened and has helped me recover the lost $3000. However the various people at USAA bank do NOT seem to understand the situation and are unwilling to help fix it. So far $3000 has been lost from my accounts. I like the other USAA products and services, but I DO NOT like their banking services anymore. You can get most of the same services from your local bank where you can talk to a real person instead of some anonymous voice on the phone.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

USAA Federal Savings Bank is the worst bank anyone can deal with and I feel people should be warned before they get ripped off. I had a CD with them that matured while I was in an induced coma in intensive care. I called them as soon as I got out of the rehab facility and was sent home. I explained to them that I couldn't call them to tell them to close the matured cd which had matured on 9/07/2017 because at that time I was in an induced coma. If they would look at the last two CD I had with them I believe they matured this August you will see that I had you send me the funds from them, within the penalty free time just like I would like you to do with this CD. I am asking you to do this because there was no way I could call you because I was In an induce coma!

Your agent said I would be charged a penalty fee. I asked to speak to a manager or supervisor. They said I had to wait for a callback. That took three or four hours for the callback and the person who called back had left for the day. After much to I ended up coming to this end which did not please me but it was the best that could get them to do. They said they wanted to charge me a penalty of $363.66 but would only charge me $63.66. I spent three hours to get them to agree to go from the larger amount to the lower penalty and it wasn't easy. It isn't a nice or a friendly institute to deal with and if you look at the majority of reviews I found them all to be bad so I suggest stay away from USAA. Also it is very hard to speak to anyone at USAA. When you call there most times you get the call center.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

In August of 2010 I opened a 7 year CD at 3.85% with USAA. When the CD matured this past August 2017, USAA automatically rolled over the proceeds from that CD into a new 7 year CD without my knowledge or consent. The new CD has an interest rate of only 1.1%. In order to get my money out I had to pay a $2,500 early withdrawal penalty from the new CD that they opened without my knowledge or consent. I tried several times to get through to the bank in late August and early September. It took me several attempts to get through to the bank by phone, each time being transferred and placed on endless hold. This is a predatory practice aimed at cheating unsuspecting customers.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I believe the employees are committing fraud. My account was hacked and when I called to close it down, they left it open for 3 additional days where someone stole 12K move dollars and now they won’t fix it. I have been in constant contact with customer service, security, fraud, member services and banking. They give me the run around every time. All my money is frozen and I cannot get any help. I have reached out to the FDIC and FTC because the bank is not helping at all. The fraudsters wrote themselves 12K in bank checks and had an ATM card delivered and money withdrawn.

I only had 4K in my account but I want every dime of my money back. They are still investigating this, 3 weeks later. PNC gave my money back and shut down my account in 1 day. USAA is not military affiliated at all. They are telling people they are gov./military and they are not helping military families. They are stealing from military families. Don’t ever get an account with them. As soon as I get my money back I am closing the account for good. I wish I never opened this account. Beware of this bank.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Extremely helpful bank, no branches so ATM costs refunded. No way to deposit checks here where I live in Mexico but no problem if you live in US. USAA does make it easier to function living in foreign land because ATM withdrawals costs minimum. Much better service than mainstream banks... seems more like belonging to credit union.

USAA Banking Company Information