USAA Banking
1.92/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

USAA Banking

San Antonio, TX

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Looking for a mortgage lender?

USAA Banking Reviews

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

In general, I love USAA. I've been with them, using various products, for more than 25 years now. The disconnect comes in banking and investments. I asked them to remove my younger son's 529 account months ago. The rep. was more concerned about selling rental insurance and other products than in listening to me. That 529 account? It's still on my profile. I'll have to call again to get it removed.

The other issue: my husband and I had planned to transfer our personal checking and primary savings to USAA. After a fiasco of "You have to wait 2 weeks for XYZ, and then, you'll have to get a notarized this..." We decided to go with a bank we can walk into and talk to a person face to face. The aforementioned issue was over USAA's policies, not banking in general. PayPal is a tool I use for my business, and they are amazingly(!) easy to work with---responsive to issues, fast turn around of funds, and no crazy list of rules. I'll stick with USAA for investments, insurance, and secondary savings, but they won't get my primary banking business. For that, I'm going old school. There's nothing like face-to-face human contact.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

USAA offers members cash back points for purchases made everyday. We appreciate the level of help and support USAA provides that has not been experienced by other online institutions. In addition, the fact that members can call in requests just simplifies transaction ease. USAA offers various incentives to its military members that other institutions and insurance agencies do not...all rolled into one transaction. This is why we have been members for over a decade! USAA has not only simplified ease of access in transacting for members, but offers greater value for remaining members that cannot be matched by other financial institutions.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 19, 2019

USAA is a great company in general in light of the fact that it deals with the military, and has a lot to offer as far as a variety of services. Mortgages, on the other hand, are relatively new, and since they deal with the VA, it adds another layer of communication necessities. Sometimes it is hard for the right to know what the left is doing, and because of that, the customer, is left out in the cold as far as what is going on. As they continue to work with these mortgages, I am confident they will do better.

Original review: March 24, 2019

Used USAA more than 30 years. Pleased with banking, insurance, credit cards, bereavement services, brokerage, fraud handling, etc. Their customer service has always been helpful and resolved whatever issue I have had and always asks if there is anything else with which they can help me. Our only bad experience was with a mortgage refinancing application. It seemed every time I was close to finishing the application, there would be more documents to gather. We couldn't finish the application in the allotted time and had to pay for an extension. I complained to one of the reps about the "run around" I was getting and she apologized and finally explained they were getting handed thousands of new regulations from the Obama administration each month and couldn't keep up with the constant changes. We got all the issues resolved during the extended period and have been pleased with the loan maintenance service since.

When my (retired military) father in law passed away, who was also a long term USAA member, I called USAA on behalf of his wife. Every rep was sensitive and respectful. They transferred me to their bereavement department where we were walked through the issues with his accounts. As it turned out, he had $10k in an account we didn't even know about that helped his wife tremendously during the transition. The account was one they kept in his name that he had never contributed to and may have not even known about, but money was placed there each year by USAA for his loyalty to the company and service to his nation. I don't know why any service member would not use USAA. We love this company even as military dependents. We plan to live and die with USAA!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

Well I been with USAA for 3 years now. I have 3 checking account over the years. I also have saving account with them. Well a few place back in Hawaii was hacked and I used my debit card there. So called them and told them what happen. Well they blocked the card. In case of any fraudulent happen they couldn’t use my card. They are always asking, "Is there anything else I can help you with."

So last night I went to an atm to withdraw some money. This atm took my damn debit card. Which that was my only debit card since I don’t need 3 different bank cards. So I called USAA and they canceled my card just in case of fraudulent happen. Then they apologized for that happening. To find out that the bank I went to would shreds my only bank card. So USAA say they would order me a new card. Well they even did checkbook. So I could have some money until I got my new card. I didn’t know anyone that had USAA since it's a military bank. The lady I talked to ask me do I know anyone. I was like no but Well after all that I realize that my friend has USAA too which it helped a lot so I could get cash, well he explain everything they transfer money to his account so I could have cash on me until my new bank card. I love banking with them. Thank you for always taking the extra step.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I rarely write reviews unless something is stellar or absolutely horrible. In this case, USAA's Banking is complete garbage. I've been with the company for over 9 years. Their insurance is stellar and anything I've needed on that end has been fantastic. USAA falls completely flat on the banking end. I had a card stolen and used which cleaned out my account.

I contacted USAA and they notified me it would be taken care of and that I could expect to receive a temporary credit in 2-3 business days while an investigation took place. The next day I was notified that the investigation had been completed and there had been no fraud committed. I called and couldn't get ahold of a person so called the following day. I spoke with someone who stated that it was not considered fraud because the card was not placed in the system as stolen. She corrected the issue and stated 2-3 business days I would receive the temporary credit until the investigation was completed. To make a long story short, I called every 2-3 business days for the next month and a half trying to get the stolen funds and was unable to get in contact with anyone that could help me.

If you are considering USAA for your banking needs, I would HIGHLY recommend you look elsewhere. If I am correct, they have been bought out by some investment firm and the customer service USAA once had is no longer. The representatives and managers seem to have less ability to actually assist customers and need approval from satellite managers that exist from the new company. They also seem to have either hired a new batch of employees or maintain ill-trained ones in the banking section. Again, I've had nothing but great experiences with their auto insurance, but their banking is horrid. PLEASE, do yourself the favor and research according to your needs.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

Recently I sold a car and deposited the buyers check via mobile deposit. I called the day prior and asked if a hold would be place on the check and they said only a small portion would. When I deposited the check the entire check was held for 10 days. Now I can not pay off the loan immediately like I told the buyer. I was about to leave the country and wanted to get this taken care of quickly. I called USAA to ask if they could take off the hold and put the funds towards the car loan and they said no. If this was any other bank they would have worked something out. Also I had no other options because they don't have physical banks so I couldn't just walk in with the buyer and pay of the loan in cash. I am closing my accounts and will never work with them again. They are way too inconvenient.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I'm a retired Navy Captain and a USAA member for over 31 years. As we say here in Montana, I have always "rode for the brand" when talking up USAA. But the last several years the company seems to be set on self-imploding with the subcontracting and selling off of its services and products. USAA Bank's (Feb 2019) recent fine of $15.5 million dollars for "unfair acts and practices" in its banking division has earned it a two star rating by various national consumer groups. In its Insurance divisions, USAA no longer carries Recreational Vehicle(RV) or Watercraft(boats) insurance (subcontracted to Progressive Insurance).

It recently sold its Mutual Fund services to Victory and recently stopped servicing its "CreditCheck" services. I'm sure more divisions and services, both in the banking and insurance areas are destined to be go away as USAA "refocuses on it core financial services". The insurance division has been great over all the years, but I would stay away from any banking services like mortgages and checking services until USAA can get a handle on its banking chaos. To USAA leadership: "Stop spending millions on national advertising, and put those dollars toward your banking services and get those horses back in the barn..." Summary--USAA Insurance is golden, USAA Banking "run Forrest run!"

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Was trying to figure out why I was removed from one of my joint accounts as I needed to put some money in it. Was chatting online with “Deanna **” and I couldn’t believe how rude she was. She kept telling me contradicting info as to why I couldn’t access the account and she got very upset after we went in a couple circles. It was unprofessional, I finally asked if she actually worked for USAA or if this was some sort of outsourced customer service company. She snapped back again then sent 4 or 5 messages about contacting a manager unless I wanted to “keep going around the same ground on this fine Saturday afternoon.” I just left the chat with my question unanswered. Seems like hit or miss with their service reps. She even threw USAA under the bus at one point saying USAA does this and leaves people like herself on the front lines to deal with it.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I was a USAA customer for 18 years, never had an issue with them, used them for insurance, checking. Out of nowhere they just shut down my checking account, no reason, no explanation, nothing... One representative told me they detected "business activity" another one told me "due to the agreement they aren't required to provide explanation".... So I'm not exactly sure the reason, but that was my primary spending account, and didn't even realize they closed it until I needed gas and my card didn't work so I'm stranded with no gas no card, luckily I was able to make it home on fumes and grab some cash I have laying around. But I'm still SOL until they send me my money. So while they were good for a while I gotta say at this point they get a big ** USAA.

USAA Banking Company Information