USAA Banking

San Antonio, TX

USAA Banking
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.57/5

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

BOTTOM LINE

USAA is one of the few banks that doesn’t charge monthly service fees for checking and savings accounts. If you’re eligible for an account, you can get access to competitive APY rates.

PROS

• No minimum balance requirements
  • More than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs
  • Competitive APY

CONS

• Strict eligibility requirements
  • Few branch locations

Top USAA Banking Reviews We Found

My banking experience with USAA has been outstanding! … even with a rare occurrence, whatever the issue, it was resolved with courtesy, consideration, and yes, even kindness.

USAA has the best website and online banking is phenomenal as is their customer service. My only complaint is that they don't do business accounts so I have to have another account elsewhere ...

What is USAA Bank?

USAA is a members-only bank for active-duty military personnel, veterans and those who have close family ties to military personnel. USAA offers a wide selection of financial services, including checking and savings accounts, credit cards and loans for cars, homes and personal expenditures. Members can also manage their financial assets with fixed-rate CDs that have flexible terms.

USAA online banking helps members save time and money with online bill pay and a suite of free budgeting tools. USAA members can send and receive money using the USAA bank app, Zelle, and deposit checks from their phones.

USAA financial services

USAA banking services include both checking and savings accounts. USAA offers two checking accounts — USAA Classic Checking and USAA Youth Spending. USAA Youth Spending is a checking account with parental controls for people less than 18 years old. Classic Checking and Youth Spending have no monthly service fees or minimum balance requirements. Checking accounts require a $25 deposit to open.

USAA loan services offer home mortgages and loans for cars, motorcycles, RVs, boats and personal lines of credit. USAA Bank has several mortgage options, including 15- and 30-year conventional loans, VA loans and jumbo loans. USAA’s wealth management services include two savings account options. Savings accounts require no minimum balance and do not have any monthly service fees. USAA's financial planning services offer CD terms ranging from 30 days to seven years with fixed rates for one, two and five years.

USAA Banking FAQ

Who can open a USAA bank account?
    Any active or former military member or person who is an eligible family member can open a USAA banking account.
    What ATMs are free with USAA?
    Members have access to more than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs nationwide. Any USAA Bank-owned ATM is free for USAA members. Members get 10 free ATM withdrawals each month at non-USAA Bank ATMs, and USAA refunds members up to $15 per month for non-USAA Bank ATM charges.
    How can I deposit money into my USAA account?
    You can use the USAA mobile app to deposit checks into your account from anywhere. You can also deposit money into your account at select USAA ATMs and branch locations.
    Can I join USAA if my grandfather served?
    No. Only widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of USAA members who joined before or during the marriage can join USAA. Individuals whose parents are USAA members are also eligible.
    Can you open a second checking account with USAA?
    Yes. You can open a checking account with a $25 deposit. USAA does not require you to maintain a minimum balance after opening your account.
    Where is USAA Bank located?
    USAA Bank is based in San Antonio, Texas. USAA has five physical locations, which are located in Texas, Colorado, New York, Maryland and at West Point Military Academy in New York. However, USAA has more than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs in the U.S. that cover all states except Nevada, Montana and Wyoming.

Is USAA a good bank?

USAA is one of the best and most trusted banks in the country. It's known for its renowned customer service and strict eligibility requirements. If you have an opportunity to join USAA, you should consider taking it. The bank offers free checking with no service fees or minimum balance requirements but does not offer high-yield savings accounts.

USAA Banking Reviews

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

Just a veteran, but good enough! I had some unexpected major expenses three years ago. Good credit score, security clearance. Just drowning in high interest. Tried getting loans with credit unions in my area who make their fortunes from vets with clearances - namely Tower FCU and Navy FCU. They either turned me down or did a bait and switch on the interest rate due to my high D/I ratio. I even applied with online lenders who guarantee the lowest rates. But it was USAA that came thru for me in the end. I guess I should have known, as I've been very happy with their bar none customer service since day one. I'll be looking to refinance my primary residence and rental property soon. USAA won't have the lowest rate, I'm sure. But they'll be the first Bank I call. Trust me when I say, it's important to have a good relationship with your lender!

Original review: Aug. 7, 2019

In general, I love USAA. I've been with them, using various products, for more than 25 years now. The disconnect comes in banking and investments. I asked them to remove my younger son's 529 account months ago. The rep. was more concerned about selling rental insurance and other products than in listening to me. That 529 account? It's still on my profile. I'll have to call again to get it removed.

The other issue: my husband and I had planned to transfer our personal checking and primary savings to USAA. After a fiasco of "You have to wait 2 weeks for XYZ, and then, you'll have to get a notarized this..." We decided to go with a bank we can walk into and talk to a person face to face. The aforementioned issue was over USAA's policies, not banking in general. PayPal is a tool I use for my business, and they are amazingly(!) easy to work with---responsive to issues, fast turn around of funds, and no crazy list of rules. I'll stick with USAA for investments, insurance, and secondary savings, but they won't get my primary banking business. For that, I'm going old school. There's nothing like face-to-face human contact.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2019

USAA offers members cash back points for purchases made everyday. We appreciate the level of help and support USAA provides that has not been experienced by other online institutions. In addition, the fact that members can call in requests just simplifies transaction ease. USAA offers various incentives to its military members that other institutions and insurance agencies do not...all rolled into one transaction. This is why we have been members for over a decade! USAA has not only simplified ease of access in transacting for members, but offers greater value for remaining members that cannot be matched by other financial institutions.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2019

My banking experience with USAA has been outstanding! No other banking institution compares (in my mind); customer service is exceptional: Their CSRs are knowledgeable, and diligent, in resolving issues/answering questions, etc.; and, because I'm on a fixed income, banking fees are non-existent! Their website/app/and fraud/security precautions are outstanding, as well; in the eight years that I've banked with USAA, negative experiences have been few and far between; even with a rare occurrence, whatever the issue, it was resolved with courtesy, consideration, and yes, even kindness; online banking with USAA is better than any brick-and-mortar financial institution that I've encountered!

Original review: July 25, 2019

I have banking with USAA over 35 years. Security concerns are a top priority with me. USAA has never failed to protect me from shady vendors, or failed transactions. I have never had to deal with over charges or inaccurate account information. I can open a car loan or another such transaction on my phone while making the transaction. Their charges are reasonable and they are always extremely courteous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: May 5, 2020

My wife and I have never had better credit more money in the bank. We have gotten several loans in the past. I had no idea that US AA had an F rating. If I did I would’ve never gone to them for a loan. My wife now does not want to get the loan due to the fact every time we turn around they are asking her for more paperwork. We have a total of 10 properties. We only owe on one of the properties. The payment is 1500.00 a month. All our cars are paid for. Credit cards paid on time. Income coming in from 8 property Plus my wife has a retirement income from being a teacher. She served in the military. Do you not go to these people for a loan.

Original review: May 2, 2020

After disputing the reasons given for a credit card application denial USAA personnel reviewed my credit file with me via phone conversation. They stated that not a single reason given was valid and even verified this with the Underwriting Department. However the USAA personnel stated they were unable to override the decision of their own computer algorithm. I am a 44 year member of USAA. 786 FICO score, 4% usage of credit available, 16 year credit history and several years since last revolving credit opened.

Original review: May 1, 2020

We were looking to open a business and did not use credit cards personally. It was recommended that we start to build our credit score. After calling around we decided that USAA had the best option with their prepaid credit card to build credit. We made our deposit and received our cards and everything was fine. Then a few months later they changed the program to not allow us to do additional deposits and no credit limit increases. We didn't like that because we knew that wasn't going to help us out any as we had planned to do additional deposits over time and continue to pay off the card every month. We stuck with it knowing that after 2 years the cards would become unsecured, we would get our money back and hopefully, our credit would have benefited.

2 years has come and we called to find out what we needed to do to get our money back and if we would be receiving new cards or not. We were then told that they were no longer doing this and we would have to reapply for another one of their cards if we wanted our money back. This would only ding our credit not help it. I asked the rep, after being put on hold multiple times for long periods of time if they were not going to honor the terms of our contract. She started to talk without actually answering me and I stopped her and said it's a yes or no question. She said no, not at this time.

I asked for someone else and she again put me on hold only to come back and say no one was available and she would have to have someone call me back. I said they'll call today, correct? Our CD will renew tomorrow and then it's stuck for 2 more years. She said she was requesting it. I again said today and she said that it was being put through as urgent. I said again and they will call today, correct and she said she was hanging up now to find someone to call us.

It's been almost 24 hrs and we have heard from no one. We have filed a complaint with the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau and are doing everything we can to show USAA they are not above the law. We have already moved our insurance away from them because of how they treat their customers. We have been with them over 25 and have family that has been with them much longer than that. Until only a few years ago they were great, things have really changed and now they really don't care about their customers. It is really sad to see a company that claims to care about military and their family treat them so horribly!

Original review: April 29, 2020

I had no problem with USAA till they lied to me over and over again in regards to my Secured Credit Card. The other problem is that every time you spoke to a new representative he will give you a different answer to your question every time. They are very polite in their deception though. They told me when I first open my account for my Secure card that 'No worries sir, you will be able to add to your secured deposit after 6 months.' 6 months became a year, a year became 'we have to get back to you on that' which in turn became 'oh sorry, you can't increase it if you open it after 2011'. I am writing a complaint to the compliances bureaus. It may not do anything but it will dissipate my disappointment.

Original review: April 25, 2020

My wife has been a USAA member for a very long time, and up until the last few years, had been very pleased with them. She has a neurological degenerative disease that has taken its toll and now has trouble speaking, writing, using computer, etc... So online banking for her has gotten more challenging over the last several years. We therefore, have gotten a POA for me to assist with her banking and financial management. After facing the POA to them about 5 times, and them still denying it's receipt, I have up on it. We decided to close her accounts for financial ease, so I paid the remaining balance on an associated credit card I did not know she with USAA.

Since she had this credit card with a balance due I did not know about, I made the payments for a few months and told them I would pay it off with income taxes, which I did in Feb 2020 (I thought). They continued calling my wife and asking for late fees, totalling an additional $44.93. Over the last few months. Today, after being transferred 7 times, and being told that I could not pay it because they didn't like my credit union (which they cashed a check from for over $1000.00 a few months ago), and being told I couldn't use a debit card to make the payment and settle the $44.93, I was connected with someone who allowed me to use my debit card, liked my credit union, and she doesn't believe any new administrative fees or late charges will be assessed, but if there are, she said I can call them back and they should waive them. Oh yeah, and she said they do have my POA on file.

USAA Banking Company Information