2. Finance

USAA Banking

San Antonio, TX

3.8/5 (601 ratings)

About USAA Banking

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military. The company has auto coverage options for all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers several coverage and discount options for drivers, as well as their vehicles and passengers.

Pros

• No minimum balance requirements
  • More than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs
  • Competitive APY

Cons

• Strict eligibility requirements
  • Few branch locations

Bottom Line

USAA is one of the few banks that doesn’t charge monthly service fees for checking and savings accounts. If you’re eligible for an account, you can get access to competitive APY rates.

Top USAA Banking Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Verified

USAA, for those of us eligible, is a fantastic bank... My accounts have no fees but I'm unsure if that's because I'm retired active duty (started account while AD) or if all accou...

Verified

The downside to an online bank is a lack of brick and mortar locations when you need a sum of cash that exceeds the daily withdrawal limit, a cashiers check... The customer servic...

What is USAA Bank?

USAA is a members-only bank for active-duty military personnel, veterans and those who have close family ties to military personnel. USAA offers a wide selection of financial services, including checking and savings accounts, credit cards and loans for cars, homes and personal expenditures. Members can also manage their financial assets with fixed-rate CDs that have flexible terms.

USAA online banking helps members save time and money with online bill pay and a suite of free budgeting tools. USAA members can send and receive money using the USAA bank app, Zelle, and deposit checks from their phones.

USAA financial services

USAA banking services include both checking and savings accounts. USAA offers two checking accounts — USAA Classic Checking and USAA Youth Spending. USAA Youth Spending is a checking account with parental controls for people less than 18 years old. Classic Checking and Youth Spending have no monthly service fees or minimum balance requirements. Checking accounts require a $25 deposit to open.

USAA loan services offer home mortgages and loans for cars, motorcycles, RVs, boats and personal lines of credit. USAA Bank has several mortgage options, including 15- and 30-year conventional loans, VA loans and jumbo loans. USAA’s wealth management services include two savings account options. Savings accounts require no minimum balance and do not have any monthly service fees. USAA's financial planning services offer CD terms ranging from 30 days to seven years with fixed rates for one, two and five years.

USAA Banking FAQ

Who can open a USAA bank account?
Any active or former military member or person who is an eligible family member can open a USAA banking account.
What ATMs are free with USAA?
Members have access to more than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs nationwide. Any USAA Bank-owned ATM is free for USAA members. Members get 10 free ATM withdrawals each month at non-USAA Bank ATMs, and USAA refunds members up to $15 per month for non-USAA Bank ATM charges.
How can I deposit money into my USAA account?
You can use the USAA mobile app to deposit checks into your account from anywhere. You can also deposit money into your account at select USAA ATMs and branch locations.
Can I join USAA if my grandfather served?
No. Only widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of USAA members who joined before or during the marriage can join USAA. Individuals whose parents are USAA members are also eligible.
Can you open a second checking account with USAA?
Yes. You can open a checking account with a $25 deposit. USAA does not require you to maintain a minimum balance after opening your account.
Where is USAA Bank located?
USAA Bank is based in San Antonio, Texas. USAA has five physical locations, which are located in Texas, Colorado, New York, Maryland and at West Point Military Academy in New York. However, USAA has more than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs in the U.S. that cover all states except Nevada, Montana and Wyoming.

Is USAA a good bank?

USAA is one of the best and most trusted banks in the country. It's known for its renowned customer service and strict eligibility requirements. If you have an opportunity to join USAA, you should consider taking it. The bank offers free checking with no service fees or minimum balance requirements but does not offer high-yield savings accounts.

USAA Banking Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Banking?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: May 30, 2021

USAA has never let me down. Whenever I call them for any of the services they provide me, whether it be banking, auto/renters insurance, credit card, etc, they always have an answer to my questions. I always receive the best service from USAA representatives. They're very knowledgeable, fast and efficient, thorough, and polite. I never hesitate to pick up the phone to call USAA for assistance, because I know it will be a pleasant experience regardless of the reason I'm calling. I'll think twice before I call any other service provider, but not USAA. Professional and courteous service is something that they are not short on. I'm glad I served in the US Navy, which affords me the benefit of full access to USAA's services...not just their great banking!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

I was with B of A for 25 yrs, until one day I got a refund check from a business that I had a warranty issue with. B of A charged me 9 dollars to cash the check. I decided to cash the check because I was concerned it may not be any good since my battle to get the refund took months and a lot of stress getting there. Needless to say I decided at that point B of A did not treat me as a valued 25 yr customer so I left. I went to USAA as I had been with them for 12 yrs as a Credit Card and insurance client. I have had issues in my life that USAA handled without me feeling undervalued, including someone used my CC for purchase I did not authorize. Additionally, they helped me manage my mother's investments after her stroke and since finance a 180k RV which I had problems getting the loan through other banks. I am with USAA for life!!

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

I joined USAA a few years back and am very happy I did. Nice touch when you call in is that they address you automatically by name (and rank) and have immediate access to my account information to begin helping me with my queries, versus mechanically asking for my account number, asking my name, then repeating everything I say and not active listening, hence prolonging the process until getting to my query. I have closed my accounts with my previous bank and now do all my savings/checking banking through USAA. Plus utilize my USAA credit card most because I can pay it immediately from my checking account. I don't think that I should be limited to how many electronic transfers I do between accounts, since it's digital and doesn't require manpower. And believe since my credit score has been excellent for some time now, they could work with me to do better on the credit card's APR.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2020

USAA, for those of us eligible, is a fantastic bank. Active/reserve/National Guard military members, retired, and most veterans & families are allowed. My accounts have no fees but I'm unsure if that's because I'm retired active duty (started account while AD) or if all accounts are without fees. Even though USAA is an On-line bank, I haven't had any issue with the inability of actually going to a brick & mortar bank - in fact, it's actually quite refreshing. There aren't fees at ATMs but I typically just get whatever amount of cash I might need at the grocery or other store during checkout. I'd highly recommend USAA for anyone eligible to make an account.

Original review: July 26, 2020

USAA is an excellent bank for veterans and their family members who have served in the military. The customer service is excellent and friendly with the ability to inquire via phone or chat. The variety of services and products available is extensive. The online banking app and mobile app is easy to use and safe with 2 factor authentication. Their security measures are top notch. They have no monthly fees for their accounts only overdraft fees, which is understandable. My one and only complaint is the wait times to reach a customer service representative, at times, can be a little long. Perhaps they need to hire more reps. That is a merely an inconvenience. I highly recommend USAA Bank.

Original review: June 28, 2021

USAA is requiring members to divulge personal, private information prior to logging in to access my bank accounts. The website is asking questions such as "what is your net worth?" and "what is your annual income?" and other information that is private. I am not applying for a loan or requesting any additional accounts- I am merely trying to access my current accounts and the money I've invested with USAA. If you don't answer these personal questions, the website threatens to restrict access to your accounts. I do not wish to answer personal questions or give out private information to my bank so that I can access my money.

I tried calling customer service multiple times to explain that I do not wish to provide an answer and to speak with a supervisor, but I am being denied and told I must give them my personal information to continue accessing my bank accounts. I've been a member with USAA for 20 years, and I have never been more upset and disappointed with their service.

Original review: June 14, 2021

USAA is a full service bank that really takes care of its customers. If not able to take care of any issues online, USAA has customer service that is always polite and helpful. The website is easy to use.

Original review: June 4, 2021

My husband I have been members since the 70’s. The insurance side has been great, the banking side not so. I have. This is just one of many crazy issues I have had with this bank. I placed a $20.00 some old order with Zazzle. It was denied. I am sure USAA saw this as a fraudulent charge. I immediately called USAA and am on 53 minutes on hold. This happens every time I have to call. I messaged them, via FB Messenger and got some canned response about how sorry they are. I am now changing banks. If you try to call them out on social media they have their setting to most relevant which means only favorable reviews. They used to be a great company. Now I am changing banks and insurance because they aren’t so great anymore. I am now on hold for 56 minutes.

Original review: June 3, 2021

I have been a USAA member for 39 years. My mother passed in January and as a result all family members are leaving USAA Federal Savings Bank, that is over 15 families. It has been impossible to access her accounts that were Payable upon death, pay her 2020 income taxes and access her mutual funds, Victory Capital. I strongly suggest leaving if you care for the survivors of your estate and don't want the huge obstacle of USAA Bank in your way.... absolutely no customer service and each "representative" gives you a very different story- so so sad. Once was a great company but those days are over! It has been a nightmare- 6 months later, we still have no access to file for her income tax in 2020 because they want to charge for every document requested- at least over 500.00 dollars. It took 5 months to get access any of her money that her family was designated by her to have access.

Original review: June 3, 2021

All banking is online with USAA...but it is one stop shopping.... insurance, checking, savings, CDs etc...Always someone to speak with if needed...Husband has been a customer since 1970's...Love it..So organized

USAA Banking Company Information