USAA Banking

San Antonio, TX

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Unsolicited on my part, USAA sent me an invitation for a Rewards card. I really was just going to toss the offer in the garbage because I have all the credit that I need at the moment and I am more than satisfied with those banks. I love those banks, no annual fee, rewards points! BUT since this offer was personally sent to me from "trusted" USAA I went against my judgment and applied for this "rewards Military Blue Star families" Card SINCE I assumed USAA had likely prescreened me (being professionals and all) and would approve me for a good starting limit, that would benefit my "credit available" and would subside the hard check on the credit.

Well, shockingly USAA just pulled a bait and switch scheme on me and made false advertising claims. USAA offered me an alternate card, a terrible card, NOT THE CARD THEY SELECTED ME FOR! Then WHY SOLICIT ME TO APPLY? Points off my score, without any benefit, this is what I received from USAA. Maybe just to PHISH for customers, and offer them terrible alternative cards with an annual fee, high APR%. If I were in my early 20's or had bad credit this could be a consideration, but not for me, and USAA should've known me since they personally invited me. It's disgusting how USAA "educates" members to be aware of credit phishing when USAA is doing something extremely similar. Beware of Bait and Switch.

I have to strongly contradict the many negative USAA reviews. I have been a member for about 20 years. My mother was a member long before. My daughter had been a member for over 5 years. I do not have a checking acct with them, but have savings, several insurance accts, and a credit card. I am an average person with average means. I have never had a negative experience, never a discourteous representative. They are helpful, compassionate, understanding, go the extra mile, bend over backwards. I continually rave about the company to friends, particularly those who use huge corporate, impersonal banks - and hate the service they get, or rather lack thereof. USAA rocks.

I have been a member of USAA for 35 years, since then USAA has gone downhill. My first mortgage in 2002 was a good business experience, fast, and friendly service. I paid off my mortgage in 2012. In 2017 I took out a mortgage on my house for a real estate investment. The second mortgage was a 45-day nightmare. Constant delays and endless request for additional information. I had three loan officers in the 45-day nightmare. Finally, we had the closing and I expect that the problems were over. I was wrong - the closing was handled incorrectly and as a result my funds were not available to me for 15 days after the closing, but I was charged interest on money that I could not use.

In 2007, I was forced to file bankruptcy due to many financial and medical setbacks. My husband served as a Sergeant in the Army in the late 1970's and honorably discharged in 1982. We originally had a savings account set up with USAA, but because of financial issues, we had about $3.00 in the account. For some unknown reason, USAA decided to close the account which was unfair and uncalled for. We are in a much better financial situation now and we want to open another Savings account.

I have called several times and have been told that they cannot do this until AFTER OCTOBER 12, 2017, when the bankruptcy clears off my report. I think this whole thing is nothing more than poppycock. I have called several reps and even message them online on Facebook. I was promised someone would get back with me. My question is how are we encouraging people to save when they do nothing but punish us? Yes, I know I had a difficult decision to make; but at the time, there was no other option at that time. I am being punished by USAA. It's unfair. It's uncalled for and it's unprofessional.

Tiffany ** was also our Loan Officer. In the beginning, she was overly nice. All documents that were requested for obtaining our mortgage loan, my husband uploaded them on USAA website. Then we were informed by Tiffany ** that our mortgage loan was undergoing the first review. Last week I received a call from Tiffany **. She stated that she had a few more questions for us concerning employment. She started off by asking if I was planning on making the 5 Hour drive from where we moving to in Hickory North Carolina to where I was employed currently in Newbern North Carolina every day once we move.

I could tell by the way she was talking to me that she was aggravated. And then proceeded to tell her that no I was not planning on driving five hours and that my husband and I both already have job offers where we will be moving. She asked if we had accepted the job offers and I said no not yet but we could if that's what they were wanting. My husband and I both already knew that we were going to take these jobs but we did not see the need to do so super fast because the job offers were for starting in July. (But job offers are for more than what were we are making now.) She then stated that she could not see an allotment that my husband makes every month from his account to my account at Wells Fargo for our savings. She stated that the statement we provided from Wells Fargo for the month of May did not show the allotment.

So I quickly pulled up my Wells Fargo account and told her that the allotment is made at the beginning of each month. I could see the allotment for the month of May in my account the last day of April. The allotment is set a transfer from USAA to Wells Fargo at the beginning of each month. I could see the allotment for the month of May in my account the last day of April. Then the next allotment was showing on June 1. I told her that I could get her those statements ASAP. She then asked for our tax statements. I told her that we had signed a waiver for the Loan processor, Anthony **, to attain our tax statements through the IRS. She said that she did not see them uploaded. I told her we could also get those uploaded ASAP.

Now just to leave you a little history about my husband and I. My husband will be retiring out of the Marine Corps in August of this year. I am a registered cardiac sonographer and have been since 2005. We both have good credit. Now by the time I drove the hour home from work all of our mortgage loan process had already been erased from our USAA account. We weren't even given an hour to upload the documents requested by us before they had already done away with us. And we have been in the process with them concerning our mortgage loan for a couple weeks now and now everything was gone.

During this process my husband was the optimistic one. I got online and read hundreds of reviews and 99% of them were negative reviews concerning USAA's mortgage loans. After what we experience with USAA, neither my husband nor I would recommend our worst enemy trying to finance a mortgage loan through them. And the customer service we experienced with Tiffany was absolutely horrible. We're not sure who to blame with this experience we've had with USAA. We're not sure if it's the underwriter or if it was Tiffany or if it was a combination of both people. All I can say is people please understand that hundreds of negative reviews are not going to be wrong.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

I've been a customer of USAA for 25 years. There are at least 50 of my relatives who are either retired or on active duty. Twenty years ago, my 20-year-old wonderful son was killed in an Air Force training accident--in other words, he was burned alive. My husband flew Air Force jets to the Russian border and back (in the cold war days). My nephew graduated from West Point four years ago and was in Afghanistan two weeks later. My brother-in-law flew three tours of duty in Vietnam. He returned to Vietnam after the war to help the South Vietnamese rebuild their country. Later, he was one of the founders of the Wall South Foundation. And then there are my eight uncles and their extended families. Are these bonafides enough to earn respect from a company that claims its very existence is to support the military? One would think so. Apparently, USAA doesn't believe so.

I suffered for years after my son's heinous death, but 15 years ago, I finally found peace and joy in an adopted daughter. The child of a crack addict, she managed to be admitted to the one A high school in this county and to receive full scholarships for college, including boarding. Now that my daughter has moved into university housing, she still needs my help from time to time. USAA allows its customers to skip loan payments once a year if their payment record is good (mine is excellent), So, in late February, in order to help my daughter, I applied to skip a payment in March. The agent was very courteous. She did some checking and told me that my next payment would be April 15. Case closed? I thought so until March 15 when the payment went through causing me $105 in overdraft fees.

When I began making the 20 or so telephone calls, an agent told me that I did not qualify for the "skip" because the request came two months early. When I asked, over and over again, what could be done, I was told in these exact words: "There is absolutely nothing we can do." And here's something that you may find hard to believe. According to this agent, the agent who agreed to my request had made a mistake, but she was inexperienced and "we've helped her so she won't make the same mistake again." But who is responsible for the error? Apparently, I am, but I refuse to be. As far as I'm concerned, the only important words in this whole thing are those of the first agent: "Your next loan payment will be due April 15." If the agent was that inexperienced, why weren't you monitoring her?

I was finally "escalated" to the "executive solutions team" whose agent, was, if anything, the worst I'd dealt with. "Just the facts, ma'am. I'll find the solution." He didn't. By this point, I was almost suicidal. My credit tanked after my son's death when I couldn't work, but I had slowly built it back. Now it seemed that USAA was about to destroy it. I had already sent the money to my daughter, and there was no way I could come up with the loan payment until May. Now the dunning phone calls began. Finally, after a week of this, I finally reached an intelligent, compassionate agent who said he was taking very careful notes and asked if he could do some research and get back to me.

Two days later, I received a letter from USAA that began like this: "Thank you for banking with USAA Federal Savings Bank. As you requested, due date for your loan has been extended to May 15..." Gee, thanks. No apology, of course. What may have made the difference is that in my last conversation with USAA, I said I would not stand by and let USAA harm my credit. I mentioned filing a complaint with the Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System and the Better Business Bureau, as well as every relevant blog I can find. I also mentioned that I would turn my problem over to an attorney.

The resolution of this issue could not be more ironic. For weeks, the USAA bank refused to budge. Getting USAA to do the right thing was like pulling an elephant uphill. Someone did finally step up and do something, even though the issue had nothing to do with the "helping party". It was the Bank of America, with whom I have a checking account. When I called the bank about my overdraft charges, the Bank of America rescinded $105 in those charges. Based on my experience and on those posting on this site, I'm wondering now if the whole "we support the military" isn't just a scam? Military families, because they are so often fractured in some way, need flexibility more than anything, and USAA certainly isn't providing that.

Back when I joined USAA 26 years ago it meant something. It was a special company that catered to military officers and took care of their customers. When they opened up membership to anyone even remotely associated with the military and became solely profit driven the customer service went to crap. If they gave 2 cents about their members they would read these reviews and adjust fire. But, alas, the almighty dollar rules this business.

So, I bounced a check. $24 water bill as my wife and I miscommunicated about the account bal. No big deal as I have over $4k in savings and oh I don't know, I do thousands of dollars a year in insurance business with them. The ** returned the check and did not cover it. I don't care if they charge me a fee. Cover the check. That's just good business. When I called to get this straighten out I was put on permahold until I finally gave up. I'm in that process of moving all my business from USAA. They are not a good company anymore. I feel sorry for new members are they don't know what the real USAA was all about. Maybe that's better.

Love U.S.A.A. but their bank sucks. To consolidate my banking I opened an account. When I decided to add some money to the account I called and was given an address where the funds could be sent. I sent a check from the bank I was planning on leaving, checked the postings, and... Nothing. After numerous calls someone told me "we don't know who gave you that address, but it's not correct". (Well, YOU gave it to me, but clearly I'm wrong here.) I requested a good address.

The same thing happened, almost word for word. Neither check has ever surfaced. Neither envelope has been returned. I decided to stick with my old bank. As I approach retirement I find the idea of a more mobile lifestyle attractive. Surely U.S.A.A. would have resolved these unfortunate habits and now they even have mobile payment. I attempted to deposit a check through mobile and, after three tries, it still wasn't successful. The help section reached by phone couldn't help but suggested that I mail the money. Wait, didn't I already have that problem? And if I want to go through the trouble of mailing the money why don't I just go to my local bank and deposit the check there? Love U.S.A.A.'s insurance; their loan policies are great; love their insurance; but I'll be parking my accounts elsewhere. Upon submitting this I was informed a "star" rating was required. Too bad I can give their bank only 1 star. They darn sure didn't earn even that.

In January of this year I made my regular USAA credit card payment. I then waited until the period closed and made the following month's payment right after the January period closed. On my February statement, the payment is posted, but on the same statement that shows the payment having been made, there is a missed payment fee of $25. I called to protest. The first call was dropped (perhaps intentionally) and on the second call, after great difficulty in explaining my problem, I was told that the late/missed payment charge would be reversed. It was not. I made my regular March payment, but since I did not pay the extra $25 fee, I was hit with another late/missed payment fee! At that point to keep this travesty from rolling out another month I paid the entire amount that USAA showed as being currently due.

When I called to protest this also, again my first call was dropped. My second call was routed to collections. Since I was not able to talk to a decision maker, the young lady I spoke with told me that she was told since I had already paid the extra late fee, they could not credit this back to me. I am in the unique position of not having missed a payment ever on this account, I have a statement that shows a payment made and a missed payment in the same month, and a late payment fee that cannot be reversed. Along with this is the reporting of two consecutive missed/late payments reported to the credit reporting agencies, which will undoubtedly cost more in increased interest charges on other accounts that I have. In calls to USAA, I had to spend more than an hour and a half waiting or talking futilely to un-enabled representatives and was very dissatisfied with the lack of resolution.

Very disappointed at their insurance rates for auto and home. Better deal at GEICO. They also have some banking policies that are unfair to consumers and veterans. They hold monies too long on deposit transactions, even after they have clearly received the funds. It appears to be a high degree of distrust.

I am able to deposit my money quickly and it is available right away period. I have never been able to do this with any financial institution. They also refund ATM fees, which I thought was a thing of the past! You can also each expense and income.

Spoke to a loan officer for an auto loan. Everything seemed to go flawlessly. We discussed the amount (which was to cover taxes) and APR. I went on the computer with the officer on the phone and electronically signed for the amount and APR. I was told during the call that the money would be sent direct deposit to the dealership next day. Two days later I get a call from the car transportation company stating the dealership can't release the car to the driver because they haven't been paid. Called USAA and the rep told me they put a 48 hour hold on the funds because it was the end of the month and they are busy. This would have been nice to know. Now there's a driver waiting and I can't give a timeline. Now flags are raised and I ask about my loan. She tells me I'll find out my APR after the deposit is made to the dealership... WHAT?

What business practice is it to give you your APR % after the loan is finalized? Never heard of such nonsense. So they could just give me a 20% rate and I'm just supposed to take it? Now I just found out that the amount that I was approved for and signed for, isn't what I got. They gave me the amount of the car minus taxes. I specifically discussed this with them that I needed a loan for a larger amount that the car to pay the taxes. USAA is amateur hour. Every time I call there's a breakdown in communication.

This is a horrible bank. I closed a jumbo cd. They mailed me a check that is written to the wrong person. They made the check out to their employee. Again instead of making the check out to me they made it out to their employee. Horrible customer service. They have not corrected the problem.

Bought my first car. Loved my representative. Love my insurance payment. On time every month. I was tight with money so I waiting until the day before to use that damn app assuming it would do as you say it should do, access my account, CHECK, view balance and spending history, CHECK, sit for 7 hours watching the bank NOT accept my payment... I woke up early to make sure it sent because of course it should have being I had well over the amount to pay it. YOUR SIDE SCREWED UP. Your app is very poor, remove it if it's going to screw people over and cost them money. Every dollar counts for a young man getting out in the world. I thank you for ruining my day and causing drama in my life that was unneeded. Now I'm being told of course it's my fault, I'm not responsible enough. It's as if someone purposely took off just enough so it didn't go through.

I double checked, triple checked, never had problem before but now I'm not confident in USAA. Perhaps a slim few employees are actually helpful and the rest just want to get through the day. I want to pay my bills and when your software your company waits over 24 hours to receive my money, YOU RECEIVE IT BUT THEN UPON WAKING THIS MORNING IT'S SUDDENLY NOT PAID AND I'M IN THE RED. I would love this to be fixed, as I said again. I pay on time. I paid on time this time as well, almost 2 days before it was due. It should have been processed. I hope this is read and someone eventually picks up the phone. I would put no stars if I could because your little app has caused some serious trouble in my family. We all have USAA and being you're usually on top of your game I'm at blame.

I'm probably not going to get the help I deserve after all the other countless polite phone calls learning about USAA insurance all the goods to grow up and be independent. So again, thank you. If you do anything, fix that damn app. I'm not the only with the problem and my family and I have been with you for a long time and to have this happen angers me beyond belief, I had 90 paying 80 now I have 70 so explain who took money where is it going. That 10 will get me to work/school and I don't know if you know this but most students don't have much money and can't afford for the bank's app to ** up like this. What a way to start a day with an incompetent transfer of my money then charge me as if it's late. Unbelievable really.

I received a call on my answering machine from a lady who, I think, identified herself as P__ and provided a phone number and a specific extension for me to call back. But when I attempted to call back, I provided my USAA member number and got past the robotic call screening, but then the switchboard operator would not connect me to the extension unless I provided additional information even though I had already provided my USAA member number. I've been a member almost fifty years and subscribe to multiple USAA products, but member service has deteriorated to the point I wish I had never gotten involved with USAA. Their motto is something like "We know how to serve", but the cold, hard fact is that they mostly serve themselves.

USAA does not represent the government at all. The banking dept should be completely shut down and they make the military look bad for business. They really needed to be boycotted. They close your account for no reason. They are full of crap. I would never, ever bank with them. They lie and give you the runaround. The banking dept is a scam and ripoff. They are full of crap. I really want to start a petition. I think people need to come together so their banking dept can stop ripping people off especially those they have served this country, put their life on the line to be mistreated.

I have been a USAA member for 15 years and always lauded this company's excellent customer service. In recent years, this has not been the case. First, I had issues with the auto insurance when my car got broken into and I needed new windows - they said they couldn't provide a rental vehicle because the car was still drivable - there was broken glass everywhere and they were ready to send me on the highway with shattered windows. Just last month I switched to a new credit card and the automatic payments I had set up did not transfer over. I had no idea of this until I received a late fee. I reached out and they refunded the fee recognizing the automatic payment should have transferred with the new card. I set up the automatic payment and thought I was all set until I received an even larger charge and a lowered credit score this month.

Apparently the automatic payments do not go into effect until a whole billing cycle later. I reached out and there was absolutely nothing they could do. USAA used to be a company that advocated on their customers' behalf, doing everything they can to help them succeed. Not anymore. Their service has declined and they don't have their customers' backs. It's upsetting because they were a company I could count on. I am totally disillusioned and frustrated with USAA and am contemplating taking my finances elsewhere.

My husband and I have been NFCU members for over 20 years. We were excited to see we could become members of USAA since we heard many positive things about them. We were slowly moving all our accounts over to them until we went through the refinance process and now we would never move our accounts! I first called USAA to refinance my mortgage in December. Today, a few hours before closing, they called my husband and told him it's not going to happen! 3 months of countless phone calls, emails, and faxes with completely incompetent people has made this experience miserable. They were constantly not getting things accomplished, getting defensive when asked, pointing fingers and having meltdowns. Finally, we get a closing date and we think all is well. It's just unfathomable to think a couple hours before close they cancel. Never again will I give USAA our business.

I feel like they need to do away with some of their policies. I have been labeled a convicted felon, yet I've never been in trouble with the law. So I am ineligible for a savings account for a crime I did not commit. I was told that my name would be cleared in 48 hours, yet 4 days later I'm still labeled a felon and they conveniently can't find any notes on my account saying that my name would be cleared. I've been given the runaround for over 2 1/2 hours and still was told that I'm guilty by association for a crime that happened over 12 years ago in a completely different state when I was in high school. I had not clue the crime had even occurred. Yet I'm labeled the felon.

All I was requesting was a savings account but because of this label, I was denied. I feel that their policies are unfair to those who are completely innocent. It was so easy for them to put a hold on my account but yet no one can figure out how to remove this "hold." So if you're looking for an honest bank that puts their members first, continue to look elsewhere because USAA is not a company I can recommend to anyone else.

So, firstly, we have been with USAA for over 20 years, both banking and insurance. Unfortunately, as time has gone on, we have become more and more disillusioned with this bank. We have a savings account and a checking account. However, this last time that we were going to buy a car the bank wanted to charge us almost 4% interest rate. I asked why that was. My husband has a credit rating of 798 and mine is 820, plus what we retain in our checking/savings account, plus the fact that we've been with them forever--have never been overdrawn, have never been late with our cc, insurance payments or car loan payments. So, what gives?!

We could not get a straight answer. So, as HORRIBLE as it is, we ended up going to a credit union that offered us 1.9% What did the credit union require from us (we felt there had to be a catch -- a $3,000 deposit, etc)? They required that each one of us open an account by depositing $1 (ONE DOLLAR). I asked how on earth they determined what Apr they would allow us, and the answer was, "your credit rating; we see that you've had excellent credit and that's all we need to base it on."

HOW ON EARTH can I be with a bank for over 20 years, never be overdrawn, have held more car loans than I can remember, paid insurance, and credit cards, without ever being late, and yet the best USAA could do for me is near 4%; while another banking institution, as stated above, who we have no history with, trust us more!!!

Disappointing to say the least! In addition, a lady hit our car (no license), and I had witnesses that I was stopped when she hit me. Yet, the other lady's insurance placed me at fault! When we called USAA, they said that no we weren't at fault, but that the other insurance had deemed we were so they must have listed it as such. What would USAA do for us to help us; fight for us? NOPE! Basically they said "Oh well, it's just the way it is and there's not much that we as customers can do about it." WTH do we have insurance for then?

So, even with witnesses there is an accident on my record in which I'm at fault because my insurance would do NOTHING to help me! Now, I have friends who work there, and they absolutely LOVE this bank, and as they've told me stories about their company parties and picnics, I can see why! Chicago (the band) was paid to come and play at one of their parties, along with many other perks! So, sad to say like many on here, as much as I would have recommended USAA years ago (even up to 3 years ago), now I say, "DON'T! Save yourself the headache and heartburn!" We've decided to go with GEICO for our insurance, and this credit union for our banking. We want to go where we matter and are treated well. --Quality of USAA has tanked!!!

USAA uses bait and switch tactics. Initially was told .99% and when I asked about why I was going to be charged 2.45%, I was told it was because of my credit wasn't good enough. I asked how much better than 817 credit score does one have to have in order to receive .99%. BTW, we've been with USAA almost 30 yrs!! We will NEVER again apply for a loan w/ USAA. The past few years they have been horrible and caught them making mistakes.

I've noticed that USAA's App re: Web Bill Pay indicating a payment was "sent" on 2/8/17 but today is 2/7/17. Thought to call to advise this technical error but their cust serv employees really don't care trying to bluff their way through conversations avoiding understanding to improve the quality of their company's performance. Pointed out that improvements should be noticed but they really don't care. Spent 30 minutes with banking pointing out this tech error trying to empathize sending a ticket for improvements then bounced to Web Service Bill Pay to spend another 15 minutes again to point out this tech inefficiency only for them to really think it's not an issue of importance.

I mentioned my Chase credit cards system is accurate by sending notifications before, during & after payments received as a comparison to others systems. Had to again try to convince sending an IT ticket for potential remedy where their system shouldn't say "sent" before the day even exists. They're just kids trying to get through the work day not understanding businesses aren't perfect & improvements should be paid attention to but they really don't care. You can asked each customer service individuals a direct question & instead of answering questions directly they dilly dally around avoiding answering. Sad. Never got an answer if a ticket number had been generated for proper documentation.

Called back 2 more times where the USAA web services tech dept simply hung up the phone instead of assisting. Last time someone finally answered but the rep couldn't reference any ticket number being generated today after I already spent an hours worth of time to simply relay an issue for USAA's own improvements. Sad company being handled by individuals who really don't care what's going on just collecting their pay checks. Good luck.

I have been a member of USAA for 10 years and have always enjoyed my experiences with them. However, due to some unfortunate events in my life I had to declare bankruptcy. Not only do they bar you from getting full access to your account for SEVEN years, they will not issue you any new banking products (no new checking, savings accounts, nothing). I completely understand not wanting to give me a new credit card based on my lending history. My situation though, was entirely reasonable.

I made a large deposit from a retirement account (luckily you get to keep those in bankruptcy) into my checking account so I could pay a large legal bill. The bill I needed to pay was larger than my $3,000 daily spending limit and due to my bankruptcy, they refused to increase my limit (even temporarily, as I explained I just needed to pay one bill and then they could drop it back down). The rep on the phone could clearly see that I had more than enough cash sitting in my checking account and yet would not let me access MY OWN MONEY because of my bankruptcy. They said that increasing my daily spending limit would be impossible for 7 years. This ended up causing huge problems for me, as being unable to have access to my own cash to pay this bill set in motion a very negative chain of events.

How could this organization which prides themselves on taking care of military families refuse to help them put their financial lives back together after a bankruptcy? I can't even get a secured credit card with them (the one where you pay them a deposit equal to your spending limit) for 7 more years! But worse, they won't let me access my own cash! How can you trust a bank that won't let you access your own money? I will be closing all my accounts immediately.

I have been with USAA for almost 40 years. Today we made the decision to move everything bank accounts, insurance, etc. out of USAA after a very bad experience with an overcharge on our daughter's debit card. Our daughter used her debit card at a store in the amount of $40.20 (she signed receipt). At the time she signed the receipt the amount was correct. When the debit was posted it was posted in the amount of $14,481.00. We immediately called the store and they issued a credit. It took one week for USAA to refund the money back to the account. They used every excuse in the book--saying at one time she authorized the charge. Totally not true. Since there is a $3,000 purchase limit by signature on a debit card we are having trouble understanding how this problem ever occurred.

USAA should have never allowed this charge to go through the account. What is more troubling is how difficult it was to get them to credit her account. USAA kept saying they did not have the refund authorization after the store offered to fax them a copy of the refund authorization. They insisted that the store issue another refund. Magically after our conversation with USAA and the store involved the money gets credited to the account. We have been told that USAA could have refunded that money immediately but chose not to do so. This left our daughter with no access to her checking or savings accounts for a week. No bills could be paid, no groceries, no gas, etc. It left her in quite a bind. I am sorry that USAA has chosen to do business like this. We are moving everything out of USAA and both daughters and their families are moving their accounts also. Not the same company it was a few years ago.

I am business owner who has used car dealership and offer service to USAA members. USAA offer Dealers Electronic Check as guaranty payment for members. On this form say that funds will be released within 24 hours of receipt of the form (Dealer electric Check) at USAA. All documents was faxed and verified of receipt by USAA on the 20th and today is 30th and no funds yet. Start calling on the 24th and getting the same respond that will get funded within 24 to 48 hours! What can you do and where can you go to get resolutions? Dealers beware of accepting these electronic checks, means nothing. I would have understand if there is any problem or issue with my transaction but holding my 17K money and not giving me a clear answer for the reason is a mystery!

An employer of mine provided 3 checks as payment – and each one bounced – total loss $6650. It took USAA 7 days to let me know the first check was not valid!!! In addition, when talking to a representative at USAA she convinced me to move my $10,000 savings from Chase to USAA when I explained I was concerned that my Chase account had been compromised also. USAA then proceeded to take a portion of my $10,000 and use it to cover the $6650 of bounced checks. Since when are we responsible for criminals who give us bad checks? They labeled it as a SCAM instead of FRAUD, and got themselves covered so they had zero losses. Further, they said now they are not responsible for helping get the money back. Really? To address this I must work with the local law enforcement, which I was doing anyway, however they are extremely busy and this avenue DOES NOT RELEASE USAA.

I've been with USAA for 7 years. Mom was Air Force, so she got me the account when I went off to school so I could have a debit card and not just deal with cash. That being said, they treat me like a criminal, an idiot, and a person with buckets of money to just fling around. Several things have gone on. Firstly, I have their mobile app. I check my balance regularly. REGULARLY. Like every few hours! I'll check before I go grocery shopping and have $500. I'll spend $50. I'll come out and be overdrawn the next day without spending another penny after that. Why? "Oh, well your previous purchases have just processed!" Umm... It's a debit card. This is a mobile app. These things are supposed to reflect changes in real time.

I've had about 10 different issues with fraudulent ATM withdrawals in the past six months. They put the money back, but it takes forever. They also shut off my debit card (for good reason), but unless I remind them that it's my ONLY way of paying for things right now, they try to ship it via regular mail.I. E. It takes "7-10 business days" to get here. Tack on a weekend, and it's two weeks before I can spend a single penny of my own money. So I tell them they need to make it priority mail. Okay. 2-3 business days. Except today is Friday, which means I won't get it until Wednesday or Thursday. Without even asking if I need to withdraw cash first, the representative I'm on the phone with about this crap just shuts down the debit card. I have about an eighth of a tank of gas, $5 cash, and almost no food in my apartment. How exactly am I expected to eat, get to work, and buy groceries? They don't care. "The process is irreversible. Thanks."

The saga continues! They willy-nilly decide when they will put a hold on my funds. I deposit checks through the mobile app because I live nowhere near a physical location of theirs. Usually it's no problem. In fact, my boyfriend got a $2400 check and signed it over to me. I deposited that via mobile with zero issues. A few months later, I have a $50 check to deposit. They try to put a hold on my account. Umm... "Thanks, but I need this money NOW in order to pay YOU for my credit card bill!" They keep doing this lately. I call to try to understand when and why they put holds on things. The guy just keeps saying that USAA reserves the right to do that when the computer's algorithm says to. No details. Nothing. Then I say, "But you're not explaining anything. I need to know what situations make this happen so I can avoid them when I'm in a hurry!" He hangs up.

I'm sick and tired of paying bills only to have USAA wait 7+ days to actually make the payment. By that time, I've assumed the money has come out and buy my gas and groceries as usual. Then I overdraft. Then the payment bounces, and whomever I'm paying charges me a fee for insufficient funds. Then USAA charges me overdraft fees on top of that even though they are the ones doing this to me. Multiple times in the last few months, I have found myself donating plasma in desperation for some money to eat and buy gas because my account was in the negative even though I had several hundred dollars less than twelve hours prior.

It gets better, though! I had just moved last July, and my previous landlord basically extorted me for $1200. Then one of my housemates stole $300 cash from me, so I'm out $1500 plus whatever I spent moving out of the old and into the new. I'm in orientation for my new job, and I decide to check my account to see how much I can spend on gas that day. I'm in the negative. Why? So I call them up while I'm supposed to be working, and they keep running me in circles. I finally figure out that although I spent money at Walmart DAYS ago, the money is JUST NOW coming out of my account. Again.

So there's no way to remedy that, so I say, "I'm desperate. I have nothing, and I need to drive 40 minutes one way to orientation every day this week. My first paycheck doesn't come for another 2.5 weeks." The woman suggests a personal loan. "How much are you looking to borrow?" I say, "$1,000 at most!" Silence. "Oh, well our smallest loans start at $2500, but you could borrow that much and immediately pay off what you don't need." "Alright. Let's do it." "Oh, sorry. You're being denied due to insufficient credit history." I've been a customer for SEVEN YEARS, and I had just gotten the credit card a year and a half ago. Not a single payment had been late up until that point, and I would pay off the entire balance every time. But sorry, that's not good enough for USAA!

She then suggests I try to open a second credit card with them and happily transfers me to the correct department. The next woman runs my information through and once again, I am denied. Except this time they don't explain. I'm just not qualified enough for a second credit card, so I get to starve and lose my new job because I can't get to it without gas in my car. It all managed to work out, but I had to borrow money from my family to make things work. It was terrible. I can't wait to find a new (hopefully local) bank to do my business with. USAA has stolen enough of my time, sanity, energy, and (most importantly) money. You should be ashamed of yourselves, USAA.

When I had just graduated college and commissioned, I was moving so I did a loan through USAA. If I could go back in time, I would have never taken it out. I had to go through so much just to get someone to actually help me with getting the loan. Every time I would call, I got taken around in loops just to get the loan. Getting the loan required me to open an account with them. One day, while I was out, they mysteriously shut my card off. I called them several times to get the issue taken care of and again no one was able to help me. After a week, I finally managed to get someone to help. Once I finish paying this loan off with them, I AM DONE WITH USAA! I STRONGLY RECOMMEND TO ANYONE WHO IS READING REVIEW TO STAY AWAY! THEY ARE A TERRIBLE ORGANIZATION!

Worse customer service I have ever encountered. Opened Checking & Savings account 1 month ago. Still have not received checks ordered same time opened account. With apologies from two different representatives on two separate calls, I still have not received correct check order. That's just one simple issue I have experienced. Don't know how people can be confident in the handling of their funds by these goofballs. Closing all my accounts with this poor excuse of a financial institution, especially after reading all of these complaints from customers that have experienced far worse than what I have gone through.

I have been with USAA since 2001 and have been a loyal customer since then. What happened recently made me so disgusted with them as I have never experienced this before. I opened a checking and saving account around May of 2016. Approx September or October I attempted to transfer 200 dollars several time and the app makes mistakes and keep telling me bank administrator. I had money in my account, and I was dealing with a health problem so I did not call them right away. Well when I finally decided to call them they told me that my account was charged off. I told them "How could that happen if I had money in my account."

I spoke to several supervisor that did not help me. As well as one of the supervisor further looked into my account and transferred me to another department and told me that there was a block on my account from 2003 because USAA has not transitioned my account from the old system to the new system that they had. They said that I scheduled a payment with a tablet which I don't have. I always pay via the phone. Well they reverses all the overdraft charges but the account charge off still remained. Even if a payment was prompted if I was allowed to transfer money in my account this would have never happened. And to top it off the supervisor told me that after the payment was reverse that this would not affect me in any way. She then proceeded to tell me just open another checking account. She is a supervisor in banking and should have advised me to wait a few weeks before attempting to open a new checking account.

She send me to open a new account and I was denied opening a checking account because of unfavorable business with a financial institution. When I called them back to get this resolved because the bank made the error, they did nothing. I am so upset and disgusted with this situation. Banks do what they want and they don't have any accountability for what they do.

USAA Banking Company Profile