1.88/5

San Antonio, TX

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

513 USAA Banking Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 30, 2019

Pay bills, transfer funds, no charge for checking acct., best deal in banking. I have also savings account, IRA, investment account. Unfortunately you have to be connected to the military to belong to this bank.

Original review: July 30, 2019

If I could give 10 stars I would. They are user friendly and professional. The friendliness of their personnel sells their bank. The products offered makes you not need another bank, or credit union. They are THE bank!

Original review: July 28, 2019

I have been with USAA Bank for 20 years. No problems. Their security is the best. User name, password, and then a six digit code is sent to my phone. I can talk to a Real person quickly with a different code. I have also had an IRA with them since 1994.

Original review: July 27, 2019

I think USAA is great. We not only have banking through them, but also homeowner's, life, auto, and renter's insurance through them. I personally have had my auto insurance with them for over 40 years.

Original review: July 26, 2019

I've been with them since I was 18 and they used to be SO GOOD back then! So good! Now, they're by far the worst bank I've ever dealt with. They make Wells Fargo and Bank of America look like perfection, I'm dead serious. No bank is worse than USAA now. They'll put random holds on deposited funds and then prevent payments from happening, resulting in NSF charges and pissed off mortgage lender and HOA board. I have had enough of their nonsense with the random holds and NSF charges despite having the funds in my account. Oh, a big issue with them is they will not update the charges and payments on your bank statement daily when you look at your acct via the app. Charges won't show for days and then suddenly you overdraft?! Are you kidding me right now?

I'm currently shopping around for a new bank to do business with. I divorced military years ago and I can assure you, this bank is not worth hanging onto even if you're no longer affiliated with the military. If you don't want money to go missing or to be living on edge all the time, wondering if your bills got paid, do NOT bank with USAA. You deserve so much better!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: July 26, 2019

USAA has top notch customer service where they will get the right person/dept to assist you with specific matters. They make depositing checks with my cell phone so easy! I've banked with them for over a decade and can always rely on USAA for managing my money and financing.

Original review: July 25, 2019

I have banking with USAA over 35 years. Security concerns are a top priority with me. USAA has never failed to protect me from shady vendors, or failed transactions. I have never had to deal with over charges or inaccurate account information. I can open a car loan or another such transaction on my phone while making the transaction. Their charges are reasonable and they are always extremely courteous.

Original review: July 19, 2019

My husband and I got a loan for a pop-up camper through USAA which was simple enough but once we went to do the walk through of the vehicle we realized the one prepared was not what we discussed. The check had already been cut with a different vin number so since we live in San Antonio we went to the main branch to find out that no one could help us in person. This is the most disappointing experience I’ve ever had at USAA. First they send you to the little cubicle to call someone in a different department then the 1st person we spoke with told us we would have to apply for a complete different loan and re-run our credit. Which wouldn’t make sense anyways because a credit report that’s been pulled is good for 90 days when everybody was the same for loan except the Vin number that was put on the check. She wasn’t willing to help us.

Finally we asked to speak to the supervisor, after sitting down for 45 minutes hold we finally got to speak to someone. She was able to clear everything up which is great because she said the bank doesn’t need to change the Vin number on the check, we just had to adjust the numbers on our paperwork and re-sign. What’s most disappointing is USAA claims to be here for the military but are too scared to come out from behind their glass windows. With the amount of employees the USAA complex has you would think they would have someone to help their “valued customers”. If they aren’t going to have people providing services in house why don’t they stop building the little pop-up little branches for USAA that house 8 atms and cubicles with phones. Donate that money to veterans assistance or something worthy if you're not going to spend it on personnel to alleviate issues.

Literally 1000’s of employees and no person to help. I really can’t help to wonder how this affects the older generation of Veterans who are much less inclined to use the kind of technology. One of the biggest selling points for USAA is “We’re here for our Veterans” just as long as they don’t actually have to physically be there.

Original review: July 18, 2019

This a crazy store. You won’t believe but it’s 100% true. Back in 2015 I was hurt very bad at work, so I was placed on worker comp and started depositing check for over 2 years. Then problem with me payment for worker comp were found so they sent me a check over $17K. So I tried to deposit check (that was a big NO GO) ok after multiple call I had to give up. They would not raise deposit limit on mobile banking app (Hello you are a Bank correct?) so I was forced to go to the bank the check was drawn on. I had to account they close after I pulled money out. Crazy right. Go to another bank.

Ok so fast forward to a few days ago. So I am at the settlement part of comp claim, I know I will be getting a few checks that will total $580k (over the next few months). So I call USAA and tell them I have a check coming that is $150k in a few days (got the check 2 hours later in mail). I call and explain that problems I had with the little two years ago. So I ask if there is any way I can find out how to deposit such a big check. At that time thought it would be one check (they sent 2 check total $150k). So I spoke with a very nice woman whom swore to me that she there would be no problem. Put me on hold and came back and said, "OK you’re approved up to 150 K." BIG FAT lie. I explained to her before I hung up the phone I was not 100% sure I trusted what she was telling me and said I believe this will not work. But I tried anyway.

OK then I come home to find two checks in my mailbox. For the full amount so I do as I was instructed and call USAA back (keep in mind I just spoke to them only 2 hour early). I tell the new person I get on the phone the whole story and say on I have 2 checks but I was told by fist person that say long as the checks are under $150k each no problems. So the new representative me on hold and goes and talks to someone to get limited lifted. The representative comes back and says well can only deposit if it’s under $75k (this is not going to help one check is for $83k) so she now transfer me to someone else.

OK after being bounced around 4 other people (mind you I’m trying to put money in a bank), I get told that I have to mail the check to them but they refused to give me a point of contact. They really want me to blindly mail them off. After I tell them I am not comfortable with that and I will not do that I want person to receive check. I even let them know that if they’re not willing to help me I will go to another bank and I will not come back. So needless to saying I got nowhere. I hung up.

OK I didn’t let it go in there. I called back. This time between manager. After being on hold for a while over 10 minutes I get a gentleman and states he is a manager. I explain the whole thing to him. Still no help. Could not give me a straight answer about any of this process. I let him know that all this inconsistency and trying to deposit checks does not ensure trust with their institution. Since they weren’t willing to help me I want to another bank. One that was very happy to see those checks and to know more are coming. Long story short USAA does not seem to have properly trained individuals, each time you call you will get a different story or a different explanation of how to do something. Not sure they even know what they are doing at this point!

Oh and let me recap a little bit when. I insisted I wanted a person a point of contact to send check to for the deposit I was told that they do not give that unless you have $1 million in their bank. Are you kidding me. I’m coming to you with what will be $580K in a few months and I don’t even rate getting the account manager of some time to help me. They apparently have so many wealthy clients they don’t need us. We’re only poor dumb Vets. We don’t count. Be very careful with them. You do business with them you better watch everything you do. Don’t assume that anyone you talk to truly knows what they’re doing.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I submitted DD214 member 1, member 4, copy of expired active duty ID card, current VA healthcare ID, promotion warrant from while I was IRR. None of this is considered acceptable proof of my military service so I can't join.

USAA Banking Company Information