USAA Banking
1.77/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

USAA Banking

San Antonio, TX

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

USAA Banking Reviews

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I was a USAA customer for 18 years, never had an issue with them, used them for insurance, checking. Out of nowhere they just shut down my checking account, no reason, no explanation, nothing... One representative told me they detected "business activity" another one told me "due to the agreement they aren't required to provide explanation".... So I'm not exactly sure the reason, but that was my primary spending account, and didn't even realize they closed it until I needed gas and my card didn't work so I'm stranded with no gas no card, luckily I was able to make it home on fumes and grab some cash I have laying around. But I'm still SOL until they send me my money. So while they were good for a while I gotta say at this point they get a big ** USAA.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I have been a member of USAA for 13 years. My son and daughter were each set up with student checking accounts, promised to move over to regular checking automatically when they turned 18. My daughter is 21, never uses her account, and has $0.51 in her account, yet it is still open and active. My son is 19 and has an active account which he puts all his part-time spending money into. He started getting calls from USAA that he needed to verify his identity and provide his SS card. I adamantly told him no as I thought it was fraud and a scam.

After many more of these calls and 20 months after he turned 18, USAA randomly decided to close and restrict his account because he could not provide a copy of his SS card (which we are in the process of searching for). He received a check in the mail for $0.01 for his closed savings account, however his checking account has over $200.00, which they did not send a check and still possess, stating it is restricted. My son and only my son can talk to anyone about it and provide the SS Card, even though as the mother, I am a joint holder on the account.

Is this even legal? In all my 46 years I have never been treated so poorly by the folks at USAA for a joint checking account for which I set my child up on. When I inquired why my daughter's account was still open and active and she turned 18 over 3 years ago and my son's account was closed, they stated they were going through accounts that "did not have much information" and that my daughter could get the same call in the future. Never again will I bank with them.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Not only do I work there, but also have been a long time member prior to working there and have had nothing but bad experiences. From holding my money for no reason to rude and inconsiderate people that have no empathy and compassion since they don't have the military family experience. People that they are now hiring lack that lifestyle and don't care about the situations our members are experiencing. I've even been told by a representative, 'well, that's your fault, not mine'. Wow! I've since then switched banking to Navy Federal and still having issues with them transferring my money correctly. I hate this company and do not recommend anyone in the military or their family members to go with them. They no longer care what Integrity, and honesty stand for. Instead only to make a quick buck and hire cheap labor.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Read online for more information about USAA PRACTICES- Fraudulent, Crooked Dealings leaving 40 yr members High and Dry on insurance claims, Depleting members' bank accounts from unconfirmed reasons and perpetrating these scams themselves that you yourself committed, freeze your accounts and collect the fraud amounts, ALL WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND WITHOUT GIVING YOU ANYTHING IN WRITING TO PLEAD YOUR INNOCENCE! This is highly commonplace inside this evil entity USAA, hiding itself behind its claim in supporting our freedom fighters and families. It’s happened to my family recently.

My young adult children have lost all they worked for for college. A wire transfer over $5000 from my daughter's account and overdraft her account $4800. They then proceeded to freeze our entire family accounts and then withdrew even more than $5000 to collect the debt they have only said we brought upon ourselves. I had no idea for 12 yrs I was paying criminals to insure our home,cars, investments and bank accounts. I have taken all my business to Pentagon Federal, and have Nation Wide and Progressive insuring everything and my savings is more than $4000 a year!

My case is now in a law office- but I reported this to every oversight government agencies known, police, wrote USAA BOARD MEMBERS! No one from USAA has even tried to help us in any way shape or form. None of this is in writing- All hearsay. We were proven guilty before we even had knowledge we were their next victim. Please Call if you are a victim looking for justice. ** Tracy **

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I have been with USAA since the 70's, so a loooong time. I've always sung their praises but I'm trying to buy a house now with plenty of assets and they are making the process absolutely miserable. Stay away from them for a home loan at all costs. I've had to provide so much documentation, it is absolutely ridiculous. And this is how they treat a long-time customer. I'm a person who has never filed a claim, has always had a good credit record and they are acting like they are doing me a huge favor by thinking about lending me money for the house. Today I'm ready to pull the loan and say good-bye to the house I wanted so bad. It's not worth what they are putting me through.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2019

Have been banking here for over 20 years, multiple accounts, all our insurance, car loans, mortgages, etc. We had a lot of issues with USAA mortgage customer service with our last house, absolutely horrible experience but I overlooked it. I love the website and do all of my banking, bill paying, transfers, etc from USAA online banking. But, what I thought was going to be an easy request, turned into being on the phone for over 3 hours throughout the day and still not obtaining a simple car loan. I was in a hurry to obtain a loan to buy out my lease quickly. Through the website, I got approval, but the request didn't have the option of lease buy out only buying a used or new car, so going down the used car route did not generate the proper paperwork.

I called the following day to explain my lease buy out and the rep directed me what paperwork I needed from the leasing company. After gathering what I needed I called back and the Rep that answered the phone had no clue what I was asking for. After multiple explanations and putting me on hold, she said I needed to go through another process to lease a vehicle, went through the explanation again, the girl said I need to submit an entire new application including having my credit pulled again, WHAAT! That was a queue to ask to speak to someone else. I was transferred to another department and yet again explained my request of an auto loan to buy out my lease. Finally, got through all the correct steps and paperwork generated.

I only wanted to borrow a specific amount and wanted to cover some of the cost in cash by pulling money from my USAA checking account. Seemed to be an easy transaction. I had to get the payoff paperwork from the leasing company and send it back to USAA to have the check cut. I was in a hurry because the deadline was 4pm CT. I got the necessary paperwork, called USAA back and that is when all went really downhill. This rep said she never heard of using loan funds and personal funds to buy out a lease. She placed me on hold calling around to multiple areas, saying the person I spoke to earlier didn't put it in the system correctly and a check was being cut for an amount over the lease buy out amount.

Also said USAA needed their own odometer form filled out, but the download function was not working on USAA website, so she said she would send it to my document or USAA inbox. Waited 5 minutes. Documents never showed, here I am the next day, still no documents. My check was never cut in time and now I owe a fee to the leasing company for not getting my payoff in on time. In the end, after talking with 4 different people, various answers and failed technology for literally trying to get a car loan, I have reached a point that I am in search for a new bank. My banking needs may get more complex and I can't count on USAA to provide the service I need.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I applied for a credit card that was approved immediately. Two months later the credit card was cancelled by USAA. My credit score dropped 11 points. Their reason for cancelling the card was for, "lack of identification". I sent copy of state driver's license, retired military ID and proof of residence. What hurt the most was the drop in my credit scores, 11 points! I didn't even used their credit card, zero balance at the time they closed it. I Should have read all these reviews before applying for a card with USAA.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

More than two weeks ago I was told that my son and I could get a joint account in 3 days. We are long time customers of USAA. USAA has now spent more than 2 weeks doing an ID review on my son. If they don’t want our business - tell us! Stringing us along and not keeping their end of the business deal is just wrong. My son is leaving the states next week and has no debit card thanks to USAA jerking us around so long. I called and called and called. No results. Today we walked into the local bank and had a joint checking account with a debit card on the way in a half hour. I really expected to be treated better, all my money is with this company that obviously does not value my business.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2019

Have had USAA for a long time. Sometimes they are helpful, but lately they have been snippy and frequently disconnect the line. Our latest problem is in collecting the most recent two months of bank statements for our savings account. They refuse to generate July’s because of the “lack of account activity,” even though there has been an interest deposit each month. NOBODY will do it, so our home loan application is at a standstill for 2+ months. Irritated is an understatement.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

USAA has been great for a lot of services, but for mortgages they are a total disaster. You can get a hold of anyone on the phone after leaving messages and they utterly ignore emails. Their escalation phone numbers that you may find reassuring on their emails and VM messages? DISCONNECTED! Seriously, I can’t warn you strong enough. Don’t bother with this. Just keep moving to find someone that will be on your squad when you go for a new loan. Everyone who is on your team during your home purchase will be frustrated by these folks. It’s not just your calls they don’t return, it's all of them. The title companies, the employers, anyone involved in the process is going to get frustrated.

USAA Banking Company Information