3.61/5

San Antonio, TX

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

463 USAA Banking Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

USAA has never supported me as a disabled Vet. For one, they never refer to me with my rank like they say in their false commercials. They have never approved any loan request but I have 4 home loans through other financial institutions including a VA loan. I have over $250,000 in another bank but I was just declined for a $12,000 loan!! They are definitely the wolf in the sheep skin and could care less about veterans.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

There's a customer service reg rep who gave my asset to child support... yeah I'm putting her full name out there. Her name is Karen **. She is a disgrace to the company as well as USAA for not examining proper documents and also USAA for not overseeing... She gave ALL my assets to CSS Child Support Services not only did she do that... but the USAA under Color of Law 1983 didn't even notify me. Don't worry I'll be writing the CEO and if he doesn't respond I'll go straight to media and and write a story so compelling that USAA will go out of business. Mark my words. USAA then proceed by saying, "is there's anything I can assist you with and thank you for trusting USAA" lol...you gotta be kidding me. You give all my assets away and you want me to trust you... tip ALL Veterans stay out of this bank. I'm going to tell my friends to drop it. They used to be a legit company. I couldn't rate it a zero but this company is a zero zero zero...

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

My family currently has USAA Insurance, auto loan, credit card, and has had more loans. 10 years with this company. First of all my husband was married well before the 10 years we have been with the company. I had insurance in one state and transferred it as we PC's to another, no problem. Later we PC's and transfer insurance again. Well apparently my husband's ex-wife had a charged off checking account, many years ago I assume and they refused to transfer my insurance back unless I paid for her charge off. Which was close to 400$. I knew it wasn't right.

For some reason I eventually paid it off not knowing whether somehow it would affect my husband - but it hadn't ever been heard of for years until then, and a few months later I call and the woman tells me she couldn't believe they did that and that they could get in trouble. Anyways I knew my coverages I had on my policy because they had to be higher where I moved from and I asked to keep them the same for security. Well I couldn't tell you anything about my policy because once I had an accident I find out that the limits were changed, my son passed away in the accident and I have never in my life felt so horrible for the coldness as if it was just the norm. No help whatsoever. I did fight for my medical insurance to cover injuries, and even had gap insurance and life insurance.

My limits were changed to bare minimal which still was plenty to cover the vehicle since I had gap - well with the accident I knew something was wrong with the car. But I had no idea what to do, who to call, what to ask? They offered no help, except for me to realize that they wanted that car back and apparently the adjuster just said it was a total loss and then they prepared to sell the car, to get more money. Now because they sold the vehicle, there's no proof except from the medical examiner that we were all buckled, and there was obviously a defect in the car with the seat belt. I've called several times and now, I am involved in a court case for this that has went in for over 2 years.

I called them recently for help on finding out what could be done and they said, "Sorry for your lost but you hit the 2 year mark and we should the car on such and such date." I pulled the VIN on the car and they knew that he passed away and they lied to me about the car and literally sold it within 2 months of the accident. I told them I need that car inspected and I called the NHTSA for help and they told me to call USAA to preserve the evidence. I called them within the first several weeks and they say, "oh - well we thought all that was finished." Fast forward... We have a truck loan we have had a few. We have great credit and we are retiring, I asked for the debt protection to be removed and they say, "Well we can put the money straight to the principal every month, and it could be laid off faster." I'm like ok - so I sign the form. Then they say through email we need husband to sign - ok no problem, so I call them to handle it.

The man says, "Hey you know, we could actually refinance the truck" and I'm like, "Really? That's great." Well after he runs our credit, he comes back and needs to talk to my husband and so he does and says there was an alert on his credit. So we find out through the credit people, all he has to do is verify it is my husband through identifying him since we already have the loan there, and it could be done... They refused and said we have to handle it and get it removed. Well also tried for a home loan as well, we were denied on that as well. We have close to 800 score only 2 cars and 2 credit cards. Besides that, on my accident I had accident forgiveness but rates still hit me for increase of 125 a month.

I know all this is out of place, but I worked insurance and the personable relationship you establish with people is better than any phone number you will ever dial and not see a face. They don't care. We have been through every bad thing in life and the hardest part, is that they had 25k to put in an estate account for his benefit, and you know what - we did a Gofundme account instead, because we didn't want to feel as if we were abusing the insurance company. Isn't that crazy. I pray - people read these complaints. Living military life is the hardest life in the world for me and the isolation is unbearable, so to not have a company have your back is heartbreaking. All my neighbors all ask each other if their rates went up.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I have been a member for 18 years. Recently, USAA lost a $20,450 cashier check that I provided to them via UPS overnight with signature on 20 Dec 2018. The check was made out to me, which I endorsed and sent overnight to USAA Priority Bank Deposits department in San Antonio. USAA signed for and took possession on 21 Dec 2019. I sold my 2012 Truck. Sold directly to a nondealer buyer, I still owed money on the truck, called USAA to find out how to expedite the process and did EXACTLY what customer service informed me to do. After USAA signed the UPS receipt document in San Antonio for the check, USAA lost my check. Worse, spent the next 45 days yanking my chain.

Over the next, 45 days, I probably spent 20+ hours on hold with more, "Front End", where I came to learn much about USAA. Banking is actually called the back end vs. the USAA phone line which is the Front End. I was unable to reach or communicate in any way with Banking AKA the back end. My only option was to deal with front end Customer service reps who could only apologize because they cannot ACTUALLY talk directly to "Banking" either. Let me say that again in another way. USAA Banking does not allow me as the customer to communicate with them...at all. Nor am I able to speak to them in any correspondence method phone or email. Are you kidding me? This is a bank, telling me I cannot talk to the Bank. Who exactly is USAA Banking accountable to?

Current state, this fiasco is still not resolved. Because the Cashier Check they lost sometime after signed for it on Dec 21, 2018, cannot be canceled until March 19, 2019. The buyer has a truck he cannot drive; I have a truck still in my name which I must continue to make payments for. Plus I am required to pay his insurance payments for the truck he cannot drive and is parked in his garage. Plus, I will have to pay the late fees he will incur for titling his vehicle 120 days after the date of the Bill of Sale.

Finally, because it lost, but he cannot cancel it, he has to call his bank weekly to ensure it was not cashed by someone other than USAA. This sum of money may not be much to a multi-billion $ corporation like USAA, but this was the single most important bank deposit I have made since selling my house in 2005. I entrusted it to USAA. The only thing you have not cost me here is the sale. He is working with me and I am thankful for small blessings.

Finally and worse from my perspective, the end state excuse I was provided by USAA was that; although they cannot provide me what date, who mailed it, where it was mailed from, or provide a USPS tracking #, or any physical evidence whatsoever that it actually occurred, that due to insufficient direction on my check, let me state this clearly as this sums up the ridiculousness of the entire scenario; USAA bank, snail mailed a signed, $20,450 Cashier to the UPS that I spent $45 at to overnight to USAA.

They did not inform that UPS or anyone else, even though my address, registered to my USAA # was the actual return address. Further, according to USAA, there is nothing USAA can do to offset or assist and I should hope that it does not get cashed because USAA will not be responsible for that either. That (and this situation) will be the last time I make the mistake of trusting USAA with my banking. I filed a BBB complaint and it should be obvious by now, am in the process, and hope to complete by April 2019, shifting all my families finances to Navy Federal.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

I am/was a ten year vet with USAA (insurance). Loved them so much I wanted to do banking with them. I was looking at buying another home and was determined to go through USAA. My agent(s) we’re unorganized and slightly shady on how they wanted me to word my childcare and other expenses. I let it go, mainly because the home I wanted had too many issues. I dropped everything and told USAA we can try again another time. But to be honest I had no intention of going through USAA home loan again.

To make matters worse USAA bank issued homeowner insurance on that said house that I didn’t buy and charged me $160 a month. Then they cancelled my current renter's insurance. When I tried to log on to my account to see why I was being charged an extra $160, USAA had locked me out of my account. When I called to see what was going on I was told my account access has been blocked for fraud and I’m not allowed to make any changes to it. When I asked for proof of my insurance for the home I did own they refused. When I asked why I’m being charged insurance for house I don’t own they accused my lender of my current home of calling them and telling USAA I bought the house.

1) My lender had no idea I was ever looking at the 2nd house. 2) Lenders can call you all day, I get to chose which company I want to insure my new home. 3) Escrow pays for my homeowners not my personal bank account, 4) 60+ days later USAA is still charging me for home I don’t own. Still locked out of my account, every time I call I’m told someone will call me in 3-5 business days. I had to go thru my bank to flag USAA from taking money. Thank goodness I don’t bank with USAA. I also had to have my new insurance company cancel my home and auto policy because USAA refused to let me cancel.

The whole thing was/is a mess and random and should never have happened and definitely should have been handled within minutes of me calling. To make it worse USAA put fraud notes against me on my account tarnishing my name and credibility with the company. Wonder how long Stuart Parker can live off his predecessor's name?? I hope USAA can get it together... Highly recommend 3rd party Audit(s).

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Called the Bank from Britain and was put on hold while the customer services attempted to find out some information. This was very expensive and the services rep did not even provide the correct information!

Original review: Feb. 6, 2019

I have been with USAA for nearly 20 years and leaving - entirely! They used to be an organization truly committed to serving veterans and with programs and support that was competitive in the market place as well as empathetic to the conditions of military and veterans. That has changed - they are simply in it for the money now with rates that are no longer as competitive and zero understanding of veterans and their families. The level of customer service in addition to the financial package offers has declined to a level that is intolerable as a customer. Sad to see an organization fall this far. One star offered only because it was mandatory to give them one.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I have had both a checking and savings account for a few years. I have never once been able to access either account. Both always say unavailable. The only option available to me is to add money. I've tried calling several times and never receive a callback. I tried their chat on the website and am referred back to the call center. All I want to do is close the accounts since they have proven that they are incompetent. I need to access my money to pay bills but since I can't do that, I want my money back! This is no way to treat any person, much less a VET!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

I’ve been with USAA since I turned 18, 19 years ago. Never had any issues at all, loved and raved about USAA all the time. Then in 2018, all hell broke loose! They blocked my card for groceries from a place I go every weekend. Not only that, but they froze my account AND shut down my online access. When I called the lady told me she unblocked my card and it should work. I told her that it is still getting declined. She said then it must be my Apple Pay, she didn’t know because on their end everything was fine. I had to call back 4 more times over both days on my weekend Sat and Sun and spend hours on the phone to gain access to MY MONEY.

I couldn’t use any cards or even login online!!! Then some bills were rejected because the account was frozen so USAA started making random debits to my account with no explanation or notification. When you would call and ask why they are taking debits out of your account, they don’t know why and there are no notes on my account. They have to investigate. 2 days later they tell us it wasn’t them. It was Instacart. The next day someone tells us it was USAA that took the money because they froze our account the weekend before which rejected bills which they manually had to process, but didn’t know how to post it in the system so they put a misc debit of $200 with no information, notification, or notes on my account.

This bank has turned into a circus. And... same month. I get notification from the state that I’m being fined for not having auto insurance. (GA) I call USAA and oh, they forgot to turn in the GA proof of insurance to the state. It’s a coaching lesson. Then...I rolled my 401k into an IRA through Charles Schwab. USAA lost my 401k, deposited it into someone else’s account, and still haven’t giving me back my money!! That was 4 1/2 months ago. I have filed a federal complaint and a BBB complaint and I highly encourage you to do the same. They are holding our money while profiting on interest. This is a CRIME!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

I had read reviews of USAA, and was disappointed with my previous bank. I initially had issues with hold they placed on funds, but continued to work with USAA, and in general terms the bank is functional until... I initially thought since the tout their military membership this would be a great bank if I moved overseas, as they would have the experience, and expertise to provide competent banking services for overseas personnel. This was my mistake. Having been overseas with others of my banks I have found I made a horrible mistake. If you change your address or phone to reflect your true physical address you have made a grave mistake. Every little banking activity comes with the price of an overseas phone call, with the traditional voice menu, of course reminding you of the website features which you have already been denied.

Finally to a filter human being, which authenticates who you are, then passes you on to another person who might actually be able to help you (all the time running up your phone bill). I will say eventually USAA will resolve your issue, but at a cost to you. It should also be mentioned that you can get competitive insurance from USAA online, but if you need cancel a policy, you guessed it. You must call. With today's banking options, I will opt for either of the two banks that I withdrew my money from. Additionally I had went all in, and used USAA's investment services, do not do it.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I have been with USAA for 20+ years. My spouse has their own business and we regularly mobile deposit checks and none have ever bounced. For some reason USAA will withhold a major portion of the deposit without any warning. I will admit our book balancing has not been 100% and we have overdrafted once or twice (my bad). This has really put us in a bind a number of times. I now absolutely DISTRUST USAA with our monies and will be finding a new banking institution. Previous to all of this I would have given USAA 5 stars. How is it their right to withhold MY, not theirs, money? Insurance...I’ll keep it, as it is awesome. 5 star.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

We have been with USAA for a long time and over the past year they have turned into a nightmare bank. They hold money for extended periods of time, their customer service sucks and they Rob their customers and we all are left to deal with it. They never are responsible and if you try to change banks that put roadblocks up that makes it difficult. They have stolen so much of our money. I have a settlement with them and I probably will never see it as well as them closing my accounts and holding my funds. When I tried to get my pay that was deposited from my paychecks they refuse to release the money and hold it for over 90+ days. Stay far away from this bank. They are very shady.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

I have been a USAA customer for over 10 years. I used them exclusively for checking, savings, and insurance. This past year I have gone through a lot of financial struggles and loss of income and have not been able to make a few of my insurance payments on time. USAA canceled my insurance because of a failed payment when they tried to charge me double of what I was told on the phone I would be charged. When I called and tried to explain that there must have been some miscommunication, they said there was nothing they could do. I tried to reinstate my insurance but they told me they would need the whole 6-month balance up front, which I definitely could not afford.

So after 10 years of ON TIME insurance payments, a couple missed payments in a year due to financial crisis and they completely screw me over and leave me without car insurance. I even complained directly to USAA and talked to top tier customer service managers and didn't take my customer loyalty into account at all. For a company that actively advertises dedication to families and quality service for customers, they have completely missed the mark. It is clear they are just trying to make money off of you.

In addition, I have been charged so much money due to NSF fees with this bank. It literally costs you nothing when a transaction is returned. They are literally profiting off of you not having money. If I don't have enough money in my account, simply reject the transaction. Why do you need to charge me $30 that you know I do not have. I have moved to Chime Bank which has absolutely no fees!

Original review: Jan. 20, 2019

About a week ago, on a Monday (Jan 8, 2019) I woke up and something told me to check my bank account with USAA. I noticed that one of my accts (my son's acct) had a $8500 deposits. This was strange to me so I asked my son about it and he had no clue about any check nor deposit. It was suspicious to me because I then saw two withdrawals; $20 and $500 that were made on Jan 7 ($20 withdrew first, deposit was made and then $500 withdrew). I called the bank's fraud and banking line as I wasn't sure what department would handle it considering the issue was multifaceted.

I pretty much assumed the check was a fraud because I had read and heard where scams like this had been on the rise. So did the fraud representative. He then went on to ask my son if he had given someone his debit card and PIN number to make the $8500 deposits. He went on to try to manipulate my son into a confession based on there are no records of debit card chips being cloned. Upon further research I found that this was not true. The representative asked the same questions over and over and stated that an investigation concluded that our accounts had not been hacked. He pretty much just blamed my son and closed out the case without any further conversation nor a more thorough investigation because he says my son's debit card and PIN were used to make the deposit.

Mind you, we have Life360 on our phones so I'm able to track where my 19 year son goes. His schedule is like clockwork and on the day this deposits was made my son was at work and didn't leave. The same day that I discovered the deposit was the same day I received an alert from USAA stating, "your request for a limit increase has been approved." I did not make any request and thus selected "no" on the USAA alert. I find it pretty coincidental that not only did someone else put the limit increase request in but also they kept checking the balance of the acct over and over after they had taken the original $520. And after the initial deposit was made. Some of this information I received from different reps of USAA.

On Jan 8, the day I found out about the deposits and called USAA, the person was still checking the balance for which a hold had already been put on the funds. My son, was standing right by me and had not left the house which is a part of his normal routine. Someone kept checking the balance and tried to make withdrawals up until Jan 12, which was the last time I checked with USAA. None of this seemed suspicious to the bank. The fact that I could be calling them about the fraudulent deposit but someone is still checking the balance and trying to makes charges in the UK. Clearly we don't live in the UK.

One of the fraud agents even asked if my son wrote his PIN on his debit card. I told him I was offended by this allegation and was then cold transferred to another department without my knowledge. During this ordeal I was made to feel like my concerns were not being heard nor were valid. Someone was allowed to steal from our accounts but we were held responsible for it. My son was paid but USAA took all of the money without waiting on a real investigation and not just an assumption of guilt. I have been with USAA for 10 years and although I heard stories of USAA dropping the ball on these types of issues, I didn't think that I would ever have to go through it. They are suppose to take care of their new and tenured customers, not accuse them of fraud.

A couple of days ago my daughter told me that the same exact thing happened to her co-worker but the sum was $5000. After much fighting and police involvement USAA called her and told her that a teen had been arrested for suspected fraudulent ATM bank deposits and withdrawals. He was found with cloned debit cards, stolen checks and wads of money. He apparently has created new PINs for all of the cards and was able to utilize ATMs all over the Killeen, Harker Heights and Cove area without being caught. I have yet to receive a call from USAA. I have already started removing my funds from USAA and will no longer do business with them. Customer service is horrible and they really need to do better. They don't really deserve to service veterans or soldiers. Situation had not been resolved.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

When my son and when he arrived back to his base on New Year's Day he couldn't even take a taxi back to the base because USAA left him stranded. All of a sudden his account disappeared. He has tried calling and calling was placed on hold until he finally had to hang up because he had to report to duty. This is how you treat young soldiers? He has now been dealing with this issue since his return to his permanent station and no one has helped him resolve this issue. What kind of bank are you that you would do this to young men and women of the Armed Forces? Not to mention, leaving people stranded because of your system. This needs to be fixed now! He keeps hitting a brick wall. I will move on to more drastic measures if this does not get resolved soon. Can you imagine if one of these young soldiers were deployed and this occurred to them. Someone needs to help resolve this issue immediately!

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I opened an account with USAA on December 19, 2018. About two days after opening the account, they froze access to it a couple days after opening with no reasoning. When I found out that they froze the account, I called them. It took several calls to them to find out they needed some documentation to be sent to them. So I complied. They still kept the account frozen and wanted more documents. They keep on saying it takes 2-3 days for review. Here it is January 4, 2019, still frozen then I called them again.

This time they said that they don't want to do business with me. All because I called them out on the way they are treating customers. No notification via email, phone, text or USPS, all of which is on record. They know I am a retired Veteran. It took them a minute to take my funds to open the account and tell me it takes 60 days for me to receive the funds back. After conducting simple internet searches, there is a pattern of behavior with USAA and had to be sued. It amazes me people are still with them. One thing for sure, they don't like people pointing out their deficiencies.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I have banked with USAA for almost 20 years. I contacted their banking office twice and spoke with two different agents about Deposit at Home to ensure that funds would be available immediately. They confirmed that their executive team would be able to ensure the funds were available and that they do it all the time. After I deposited the cashier's check, 75% of the check amount was on hold for over a week. The total check amount did not exceed my daily deposit limit. I spoke with the executive banking team and they informed me that there is nothing they could do and that the banking team provided me the incorrect information... twice.

Between this and the issues I have recently been having with their auto insurance company, I think it is time to jump ship from USAA and move over to Navy Federal Credit Union where I will receive better and more reliable customer service and information. Very disappointed in USAA's lack of consistent policies and procedures over the last 10+ years and their inability to take care of a long standing customer. Goodbye USAA.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

USAA is using third-party people instead of their local offices to help with situations. I have been lied to. Placed on hold for over 6 hours one time, and today been on the phone with their third party people since 9:30 this morning. I have still not got any issues resolved. I've been dealing with he said she said. I'm at the point to where now I'm going to print off all my documents screenshot and file complaints with the BBB as well as the credit companies. I have every person I spoke to in every state as well as credit reports and all documentation to back up my records. This bank is horrible now!!! If an actual person who works at USAA in the San Antonio office would like to reach out to me to help with this matter I would greatly appreciate it.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2018

Tried to Increase the limit on my USAA Secured Platinum VISA I had initially set 2 months ago at $1K to $2K. But despite the fact one of the chief reasons I chose this card was that USAA advertised I could increase my limit by putting more security down at any time or interval up to $5K, was just told that my limit could not be increased, per policy that was adopted on the day I signed up, leaving my family and I in a giant holiday travel conundrum. Not cool USAA!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Updated on 01/03/2019: Set up payments to Express Scripts but payments were never credited. Called Express Scripts and did a 3 way call with USAA. Was told matter was resolved - NOT! Come to find out that USAA uses a third party - FISERV - for their bill pay and FISERV went ahead and blocked my entire bill pay service! Took me 4 hours and another 3 way call with USAA to get that resolved involving verifying my identity 4 times! We are now pulling EVERYTHING out of USAA!

Original Review: Tried to use our USAA credit card for a purchase of almost $4000 which was declined. Had to call USAA to get this purchase approved - card has a $0 balance!!! Could not get a 'pre-approval' because USAA demanded the EXACT amount of the charge!!!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2018

We have been posting a check to our USAA account monthly to cover a loan payment through that account. Suddenly, USAA decides to hold part of the check. Nothing changed with our usage of the account (no overdrafts, etc). When we called, we kept getting excuses that made no sense. They finally said that they have an algorithm that withholds money from deposits to ensure a stable daily balance for the bank. In other words, it randomly chooses to withhold money from deposits to cover its own loans and investments. USAA apparently steals customer money to make money for itself. We are closing our accounts and using a bank that does not steal or cheat customers.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I have been a member of USAA for 16 years. For the past 2 years I transfer money from my Bank of America account into my USAA checking account every 2 weeks of approx $1,200. The beginning of November I had an accident and I was out of work. By the time I got my short term disability check I definitely needed it cashed. I tried to do mobile deposit to USAA but they were going to put a hold on it. I canceled the deposit and put it in Bank of America because there was no hold (mobile banking). So as always I transferred $1200 to USAA, with no warning, they put a hold on the instant transfer from Bank of America for over a week.

When I called they said it was based on my average balance for the month. I told her I had an accident so I didn’t have any income for the month, could they please look at the month prior. There was nothing she could do. When I called the next day I got the same answer. A sidenote they also put a hold on the $34 check a client gave me. The money came instantly out of my Bank of America account. I could have taking cash out of Bank of America and driven it to Texas or wherever they have offices in less time than they are holding onto my money. I think they must be having financial trouble.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

I opened this account to replace an old account with a very small bank. I made a few transfers from the old one to here with no problem. When I had to pay my rent I transferred $725. They put $525 on hold for 7 days. My complex charges $75 on the 2nd of the month then $10 each day after that. I'm now at $165 in late fees! Because they wouldn't pay the rent when it came through. They charged me am NSF for $29!!! I will NEVER bank here again.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2018

I have been with Navy Federal since 2010. Never once have my checking account been locked. I recently opened a checking account with USAA and learned that my checking account was locked because of a verification document they needed that the agent never asked me for when my check card was being mailed to me. As soon as I received the email from them requesting the document, I uploaded it to their web page. Later that same day I called USAA to speak to an auto insurance agent about my bill and the agent informed me that she could not speak to me because my account was locked.

Needless to say, I never appreciated Navy Federal Credit Union, banking service as much as I do today. I will never do banking business with USAA. They locked my account due to their own negligence to obtain all verifications upon opening my checking account. Unethical and untrustworthiness. Took three days to unlock the account and by then I requested to have the checking account closed. I am so glad I had not set-up my direct deposit with them yet. Something told me to wait.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

So this my last straw with this bank! I wouldn’t give this bank any stars if possible! I wrote a check for my rent and water bill. They had returned it. My daughter came in from out of town. She tried to CashApp the money into the account and was returned back to her for Verification reasons. So I deposited $200 because she had used the card when she was here. Note there is no local anything to deposit money, Nor does anyone tell you that the first $200 you deposit is available and the remaining balance is put on hold for 7 days! Didn’t realize that until I did a mobile Deposit. She gave me another $250 before she left. Called the bank, got the first NSF refunded because of the CashApp issue. Then was transferred to see if I could get the $50 released. This was a money order I deposited, So it’s basically cash.

She tells me due to my Average Daily Balance they couldn’t release the funds. I asked for a Manager and there wasn’t one available. She then says that she had the highest power in the bank as a Manager and Director. She was very rude as well. The acct that I have is a Disability acct for Social Security and all the funds need/have to be used. So the Average Daily Balance would reflect low because of the type of acct it is. So I check the acct this morning and the check was returned for being $20.54 short plus $29.00 NSF! If the $50 was released, I wouldn’t have had this issue! If you they were going to charge another NSF, then it could have been paid! I was going to be charged either way and that $50 would have covered the outstanding amount. This bank does not care about your needs! They’re just nosey about your everyday life! This bank is Highway Robbery! Do Not Bank Here!

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

They set your daily check cashing limit to $10,000. Cool, normally no biggie. But I have a check for over that amount that I need cashed ASAP and there is not 1 location in all of Oregon that I can go and cash this check. They would not increase my limit (even temporarily) to allow me to cash this check. The only option is to mail it. They wouldn't even send me a label to safely overnight it to them. Horrible customer service!! We will be finding a bank where you can actually cash checks. Or at least offer to email you a UPS label so you don't have to pay for that yourself. That would have shown proper customer service. Very disappointed.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2018

My son-in-law and daughter recently moved to New York to stay with a friend while trying to get on their feet. They did not have a checking account, so they opened one with USAA. They had to deposit $25 from a card to open the account. Their friend let them use his card to do that. In the meantime, I sent my daughter $50 to help with groceries and diapers for my grandson. USAA won't activate their account because they do not have proof of residency (remember living with a friend).

They received debit cards in the mail, but still cannot get their money back. USAA is holding their $75 dollars hostage because my veteran son-in-law does not have proof of residency. This money could be feeding my grandson if nothing else. I can't believe a company that is supposed to be dedicated to helping our veterans runs their business this way. So don't open the account, but return the money back to where it came from already. SO DISAPPOINTED IN USAA!!!

Original review: Nov. 1, 2018

I deposited 2 Cashier Checks into my account. Each time after they cleared USAA comes back with a problem and the take the funds and locked my accounts and then charge me for the money used. They have broken several laws in the State of Virginia which states that regardless of the outcome with the check being rejected as long as the check has not been altered and they deposited my option is to sue USAA for this act.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I applied to USAA for a mortgage loan in 2018. I have used my VA certificate and obtained mortgage loans three times prior to USAA. All my mortgage loans were processed professionally and without undue stress. Then comes my USAA experience with their mortgage product. I’ve been with USAA over 30 years. My experience with this company was stressful, frustrating and unpleasant. After numerous phone calls and providing a great deal of information, I finally was relieved to have a ratified contract on a property. The loan officer who processed my loan declared at the end stages of the application that the contracted property was not a VA approved property. She failed to check the property address before wasting hours of my time. Not only did the entire process halt, but she declared I would have to start everything OVER again including a new application and credit check!!!

I literally just provided that information three weeks to her surprise announcement. In other words, her failure to check whether the property was a VA property caused me to lose all rights to apply and continue in the process without resubmitting everything! When I complained to management, the USAA response was that I should have known it was not a VA approved property. When I asked the CEO rep where was the VA approved list, he simply answered, he didn’t know! Stay away from this company! I have never dealt with people so disorganized and uncaring in my life. I decided to rent after this experience. I was too exhausted to try another bank or to acquire another hit on my credit score. Choose another financial institution for your mortgage needs!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2018

USAA has done this so many times where they charge me a crazy amount for insurance. I’m being charge 510 dollars for one vehicle!!! Then they did this before without notifying and it’s hell to set up the automatic payment. I try every damn month for the savings in insurance and yet it seems like it doesn’t work then I miss a payment so I see I missed one payment and should not owe them 510 dollars!!! I’m sick of USAA. They’re a fraud company and not for the military. They steal your money! Beware.

I asked them don’t save my credit card information yet they did and I asked them not provided information to my ex-husband which was removed from my account and guess what you guys they provided him all my information that I never provided him and he told me the Insurance did which he did not have my verifying information and the manager informed me that they listened to the call and was so sorry! You're sorry for giving out my personal information to a crazy person! That’s not on my account.

USAA Banking Company Information