USAA Banking
1.79/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

USAA Banking

San Antonio, TX

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Looking for a mortgage lender?

USAA Banking Reviews

Original review: Oct. 21, 2019

USAA has been downright awful to my family recently. As a customer with outstanding 100% on time payment history, with 6 different products over the 14 years I have been with them, they Reduced my wife's credit card limit without specific reason by more than 60% which caused great harm to our financial borrowing rating, with no changes in credit history or habits on our part. They increased our homeowner's insurance by almost double. We have never filed a claim or had a problem with our home. And after 14 years of banking they are placing holds on checks that used to clear without problem.

We pay our bills, we have NEVER had a bounced check, not one missed payment, overdraft, low balance, hell we haven't even been within a week of a payment date paying everything EARLY. I don't know if the company is losing money, but it is definitely losing a customer. Without reason, they have shown they are no longer a quality, moral, and decent company. We will be moving all 7 of our products shortly and severing any ties. Do not trust this company. This is not your father's USAA any longer. If you trust this company, your credit, and financial health picture can be at risk due to no fault of your own.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

I rarely write reviews unless something is stellar or absolutely horrible. In this case, USAA's Banking is complete garbage. I've been with the company for over 9 years. Their insurance is stellar and anything I've needed on that end has been fantastic. USAA falls completely flat on the banking end. I had a card stolen and used which cleaned out my account.

I contacted USAA and they notified me it would be taken care of and that I could expect to receive a temporary credit in 2-3 business days while an investigation took place. The next day I was notified that the investigation had been completed and there had been no fraud committed. I called and couldn't get ahold of a person so called the following day. I spoke with someone who stated that it was not considered fraud because the card was not placed in the system as stolen. She corrected the issue and stated 2-3 business days I would receive the temporary credit until the investigation was completed. To make a long story short, I called every 2-3 business days for the next month and a half trying to get the stolen funds and was unable to get in contact with anyone that could help me.

If you are considering USAA for your banking needs, I would HIGHLY recommend you look elsewhere. If I am correct, they have been bought out by some investment firm and the customer service USAA once had is no longer. The representatives and managers seem to have less ability to actually assist customers and need approval from satellite managers that exist from the new company. They also seem to have either hired a new batch of employees or maintain ill-trained ones in the banking section. Again, I've had nothing but great experiences with their auto insurance, but their banking is horrid. PLEASE, do yourself the favor and research according to your needs.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

Recently I sold a car and deposited the buyers check via mobile deposit. I called the day prior and asked if a hold would be place on the check and they said only a small portion would. When I deposited the check the entire check was held for 10 days. Now I can not pay off the loan immediately like I told the buyer. I was about to leave the country and wanted to get this taken care of quickly. I called USAA to ask if they could take off the hold and put the funds towards the car loan and they said no. If this was any other bank they would have worked something out. Also I had no other options because they don't have physical banks so I couldn't just walk in with the buyer and pay of the loan in cash. I am closing my accounts and will never work with them again. They are way too inconvenient.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2019

I'm a retired Navy Captain and a USAA member for over 31 years. As we say here in Montana, I have always "rode for the brand" when talking up USAA. But the last several years the company seems to be set on self-imploding with the subcontracting and selling off of its services and products. USAA Bank's (Feb 2019) recent fine of $15.5 million dollars for "unfair acts and practices" in its banking division has earned it a two star rating by various national consumer groups. In its Insurance divisions, USAA no longer carries Recreational Vehicle(RV) or Watercraft(boats) insurance (subcontracted to Progressive Insurance).

It recently sold its Mutual Fund services to Victory and recently stopped servicing its "CreditCheck" services. I'm sure more divisions and services, both in the banking and insurance areas are destined to be go away as USAA "refocuses on it core financial services". The insurance division has been great over all the years, but I would stay away from any banking services like mortgages and checking services until USAA can get a handle on its banking chaos. To USAA leadership: "Stop spending millions on national advertising, and put those dollars toward your banking services and get those horses back in the barn..." Summary--USAA Insurance is golden, USAA Banking "run Forrest run!"

Original review: Sept. 22, 2019

Was trying to figure out why I was removed from one of my joint accounts as I needed to put some money in it. Was chatting online with “Deanna **” and I couldn’t believe how rude she was. She kept telling me contradicting info as to why I couldn’t access the account and she got very upset after we went in a couple circles. It was unprofessional, I finally asked if she actually worked for USAA or if this was some sort of outsourced customer service company. She snapped back again then sent 4 or 5 messages about contacting a manager unless I wanted to “keep going around the same ground on this fine Saturday afternoon.” I just left the chat with my question unanswered. Seems like hit or miss with their service reps. She even threw USAA under the bus at one point saying USAA does this and leaves people like herself on the front lines to deal with it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Sept. 19, 2019

I was a USAA customer for 18 years, never had an issue with them, used them for insurance, checking. Out of nowhere they just shut down my checking account, no reason, no explanation, nothing... One representative told me they detected "business activity" another one told me "due to the agreement they aren't required to provide explanation".... So I'm not exactly sure the reason, but that was my primary spending account, and didn't even realize they closed it until I needed gas and my card didn't work so I'm stranded with no gas no card, luckily I was able to make it home on fumes and grab some cash I have laying around. But I'm still SOL until they send me my money. So while they were good for a while I gotta say at this point they get a big ** USAA.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

I have been a member of USAA for 13 years. My son and daughter were each set up with student checking accounts, promised to move over to regular checking automatically when they turned 18. My daughter is 21, never uses her account, and has $0.51 in her account, yet it is still open and active. My son is 19 and has an active account which he puts all his part-time spending money into. He started getting calls from USAA that he needed to verify his identity and provide his SS card. I adamantly told him no as I thought it was fraud and a scam.

After many more of these calls and 20 months after he turned 18, USAA randomly decided to close and restrict his account because he could not provide a copy of his SS card (which we are in the process of searching for). He received a check in the mail for $0.01 for his closed savings account, however his checking account has over $200.00, which they did not send a check and still possess, stating it is restricted. My son and only my son can talk to anyone about it and provide the SS Card, even though as the mother, I am a joint holder on the account.

Is this even legal? In all my 46 years I have never been treated so poorly by the folks at USAA for a joint checking account for which I set my child up on. When I inquired why my daughter's account was still open and active and she turned 18 over 3 years ago and my son's account was closed, they stated they were going through accounts that "did not have much information" and that my daughter could get the same call in the future. Never again will I bank with them.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2019

Not only do I work there, but also have been a long time member prior to working there and have had nothing but bad experiences. From holding my money for no reason to rude and inconsiderate people that have no empathy and compassion since they don't have the military family experience. People that they are now hiring lack that lifestyle and don't care about the situations our members are experiencing. I've even been told by a representative, 'well, that's your fault, not mine'. Wow! I've since then switched banking to Navy Federal and still having issues with them transferring my money correctly. I hate this company and do not recommend anyone in the military or their family members to go with them. They no longer care what Integrity, and honesty stand for. Instead only to make a quick buck and hire cheap labor.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2019

Read online for more information about USAA PRACTICES- Fraudulent, Crooked Dealings leaving 40 yr members High and Dry on insurance claims, Depleting members' bank accounts from unconfirmed reasons and perpetrating these scams themselves that you yourself committed, freeze your accounts and collect the fraud amounts, ALL WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE AND WITHOUT GIVING YOU ANYTHING IN WRITING TO PLEAD YOUR INNOCENCE! This is highly commonplace inside this evil entity USAA, hiding itself behind its claim in supporting our freedom fighters and families. It’s happened to my family recently.

My young adult children have lost all they worked for for college. A wire transfer over $5000 from my daughter's account and overdraft her account $4800. They then proceeded to freeze our entire family accounts and then withdrew even more than $5000 to collect the debt they have only said we brought upon ourselves. I had no idea for 12 yrs I was paying criminals to insure our home,cars, investments and bank accounts. I have taken all my business to Pentagon Federal, and have Nation Wide and Progressive insuring everything and my savings is more than $4000 a year!

My case is now in a law office- but I reported this to every oversight government agencies known, police, wrote USAA BOARD MEMBERS! No one from USAA has even tried to help us in any way shape or form. None of this is in writing- All hearsay. We were proven guilty before we even had knowledge we were their next victim. Please Call if you are a victim looking for justice. ** Tracy **

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

I have been with USAA since the 70's, so a loooong time. I've always sung their praises but I'm trying to buy a house now with plenty of assets and they are making the process absolutely miserable. Stay away from them for a home loan at all costs. I've had to provide so much documentation, it is absolutely ridiculous. And this is how they treat a long-time customer. I'm a person who has never filed a claim, has always had a good credit record and they are acting like they are doing me a huge favor by thinking about lending me money for the house. Today I'm ready to pull the loan and say good-bye to the house I wanted so bad. It's not worth what they are putting me through.

USAA Banking Company Information