USAA Banking

San Antonio, TX

USAA Banking
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.57/5

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

USAA Banking Reviews

Original review: April 25, 2020

My wife has been a USAA member for a very long time, and up until the last few years, had been very pleased with them. She has a neurological degenerative disease that has taken its toll and now has trouble speaking, writing, using computer, etc... So online banking for her has gotten more challenging over the last several years. We therefore, have gotten a POA for me to assist with her banking and financial management. After facing the POA to them about 5 times, and them still denying it's receipt, I have up on it. We decided to close her accounts for financial ease, so I paid the remaining balance on an associated credit card I did not know she with USAA.

Since she had this credit card with a balance due I did not know about, I made the payments for a few months and told them I would pay it off with income taxes, which I did in Feb 2020 (I thought). They continued calling my wife and asking for late fees, totalling an additional $44.93. Over the last few months. Today, after being transferred 7 times, and being told that I could not pay it because they didn't like my credit union (which they cashed a check from for over $1000.00 a few months ago), and being told I couldn't use a debit card to make the payment and settle the $44.93, I was connected with someone who allowed me to use my debit card, liked my credit union, and she doesn't believe any new administrative fees or late charges will be assessed, but if there are, she said I can call them back and they should waive them. Oh yeah, and she said they do have my POA on file.

Original review: April 24, 2020

I have been a bank member for only a year but I will be moving all my accounts, including insurance and homeowners as soon as I find reputable companies. I do have a few bounced checks during my time as an account holder. I admit to that. I recently sold my parent's house and MAILED in a check with a deposit slip (because of the bounced checks my mobile banking app for checks deposited by phone was suspended). Quite a large sum...over $140,000.00 First my check posted in my account with a hold. Nothing unusual with such a large check. Then my accounts get frozen and customer service tells me the check is likely to be returned!?!? Called the issuing bank and the title company that issued the check. They HAVE THE CLEARED CHECK FROM USAA. So USAA cashed my check and won't release my money or unfreeze my accounts because they might return the check for fraud reasons. BUT THEY ALREADY CASHED IT.

Now I cannot access my child support payments because they FROZE MY ACCOUNTS. Now my 1 account is negative so I call to move my child support payment over to fix the negative amount. I cannot move money BECAUSE THEY FROZE MY ACCOUNTS. Calling every half hour to the CEO representatives. They can't fix it. They can't transfer me to anyone who can fix it. They have forwarded my claim and I will be contacted soon. My realtor, the title company, and their bank told me they have NEVER seen such a level of banking incompetence. I'm afraid of my own bank now. I have no choice but to move my accounts. That is whenever THEY DECIDE to release them.

Original review: April 12, 2020

BEWARE: I received a letter in the mail saying they are freezing my account due to suspicious activity. I know there are problems in the banking industry and with credit right now. But isn't the REPO agreements and Stimulus supposed to be bailing the banks out? Why are they threatening to freeze my funds. I have done nothing wrong. Apparently anyone with 10k deposit is a "suspect". Be careful. The banks are looking for excuses to freeze accounts. Rumor has it they are going bankrupt again...

Original review: April 3, 2020

I have been a member of USAA for over 20 years and I have used multiple insurance, banking and loan products. Recently I attempted to get a better interest rate on an auto loan than what was being offered in light of my tenured membership, payment and credit history and the fact that interest rates are currently at or near 0%. After spending 30 minutes on the phone (most of it on hold) and no elevation beyond the initial customer service representative, I got the same answer I got going through the motions on USAA's website. This has been a recurring theme over the last few years. I do not feel that USAA is living up to the individual customer service it prided itself on in the past. I am just another combination of 0s and 1s to USAA. At this point I am looking at other banking and insurance options as I can only take so many apologies from customer service that go nowhere.

Original review: April 2, 2020

I've been a member of USAA for almost 17 years. Within the past 5-7 years I've seen the company slowly decline especially after it opened up its membership and started doing more advertising especially on TV. Their interest rates are high now and their qualifying criteria isn't really disclosed other than they consider "multiple factors." Also, their fees and everything else isn't as competitive anymore.

The other thing is their customer service stinks. The representatives I speak to don't seem well trained or listen well. The company says they'll call me with they find an answer and the past two times I've had to call them back myself. I think their customer service is contracted out these days and not like in the past when I had issues the company actually cared and could help. These days all USAA doesn't hold its potential and long time members with regard any longer. These days they're just like most other banks and actually worse. Good luck getting issues resolved and resolutions reached.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: March 13, 2020

The process was painless. Every question was answered honestly and explained to our satisfaction. The paperwork was easy and mostly done on the internet/email systems. We re-fi'd with them sometime later for a lower rate. That process was also painless and saved us tens of thousands!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

I am beyond disgusted with USAA. My credit card was fraudulently used four times for almost $20k total in the past two days and I cannot reach any competent person who can help me identify where the breach is occurring or what I can do about. I've now been on hold for more than 2.5 hours and I am transferred from the line operator to executive resolution to breached account services where a lovely person named Carla hung up on me. When I called back I was told that I needed to be routed to yet another department. For such a large bank without offices, you'd think they'd care more and try harder with customer service on big security breaches. I've been a USAA member my entire adult life and I'm now 61. Tomorrow I begin the arduous process of transferring my automatic paycheck deposit and my recurring charges to a new local credit union and I'll be done with USAA. Beyond disappointing.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I bank with USAA. They sent out a notice regarding my trust. It was an urgent request to send various documents to USAA. Notice said if documents were not received by certain date, they would close the account. When I called to find out WHERE to upload the documents (the notice was utterly unclear, it was poorly worded... a 2nd grader could have drafted a better more effective letter), I had to wait online for 45 minutes. They've changed their MUZAC online, so you have to listen to a repetitive marching, electronic tune that agitates, angers, stresses out. And you must listen to this crap for 45 minutes! I've been with USAA for 45 years. Never has their customer service been so poor than for the past 5 years. I'm moving my money. Bottom line. They don't deserve my business.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2020

I recently enrolled into USAA. I opened a savings account and moved several thousand into that account. I talked to a financial adviser and created an IRA into which to roll over my 401k. I then initiated the rollover, which hadn't occurred at the time that this happened. This morning I attempted to log in and found that I was locked out. I contacted support and after MANY handoffs I learned that USAA has decided that I was doing something fraudulent. They will do no business with me, and they won't explain the decision. And there is no way to have them reconsider that decision. They closed all accounts and restricted all access.

So now I have 10,000 in a savings account that I can't reach and I had a rollover started into this IRA. Fortunately I was able to cancel the rollover. What a nightmare this would have been had the rollover been done. When they decided to cancel my account they made no effort to reach out to me. What a mess! They told me on the phone that it was not possible to tell me why they think I am doing something fraudulent. Everything I told them was 100% truthful.

Also, their web software is extremely buggy. I attempted three separate operations online on three separate days. All three operations failed due to buggy software (becoming a member, opening savings account, changing profile). I kept encountering pages in which the "Next" button would not work. All three operations had to be done via phone. I complained about the terrible software and think that my complaints may have prompted my problems. Was on the phone many times and spent most of that time listening to their USAA jingle. I strongly suggest that you avoid USAA. This was my biggest mistake in many years.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2020

I have been a member of USAA for years with insurance products and credit cards. We decided to use their banking services about a year ago. WHAT A DISASTER!! They have very strict deposit limits. Then mobile deposit app seems great until you try to deposit a check Over whatever arbitrary limit set for you.

You have to MAIL in the endorsed check! Yeah, mail. I did, twice and the second time the check was lost. Then while I was trying to speak on the phone the representative “accidentally canceled my debit card” with one click. He was of course “very sorry” but it took 2 days for them to get me one. I went up the chain, spent hours on the phone with them. We gave up and opened an account at another bank. If they can’t figure out a way for me to give them my money, I need to find a place that can.

USAA Banking Company Information