USAA Banking

USAA Banking

San Antonio, TX

3.9/5 (295 ratings)

About USAA Banking

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military. The company has auto coverage options for all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers several coverage and discount options for drivers, as well as their vehicles and passengers.

Pros

• No minimum balance requirements
  • More than 60,000 USAA-preferred ATMs
  • Competitive APY

Cons

• Strict eligibility requirements
  • Few branch locations

Bottom Line

USAA is one of the few banks that doesn’t charge monthly service fees for checking and savings accounts. If you’re eligible for an account, you can get access to competitive APY rates.

USAA Banking Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Banking?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: March 18, 2022

I have the claims department call me to get a recorded statement. I tried to inform them that I had already done it and the representative question my integrity. Then decided to give me attitude and would not notify the manager to call me. Quality of service has taken a severe downturn. The excuse is COVID-19. After more than 12 years I’m going to MoveOn.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2022

I opened a checking/savings account with USAA in 10/2021 and a credit card. On 12/26/2021 they froze my account to include my credit card with no reason as to why. I have been calling USAA since 12/26/2021 only to be told that none of my bills will get paid and the account will only accept credit coming in. Mind you it's not like I have $2 million in the account all of a sudden. Everyone keeps telling me that someone from the fraud department will call, I was even told that they closed my accounts and mailed my check and a letter as to why but when I called today I was told that the account is still under review. I over this. I filed a complaint with the BBB and they told them it was an identity issue and if that was the case no one bothered to ask me to send verifying documents to prove who I am. I had insurance with USAA for 6 years up until this issue, and I must say that I am very disappointed in USAA. This is ridiculous.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2022

Been a member of USAA for almost 50 years. I use their banking, credit card, insurance and other services. Loved that you could call them and talk to human being representative within a few minutes. I've promoted it to every veteran I meet (Those reviewers who claim they can get a much lower rate from Allstate are being foolish - wait until they have a claim). USAA is still the best insurance company out there and I've had excellent experience with every auto, home and banking claim.

Now USAA makes you suffer through the automated system that is endless. The chat service is also automated and dysfunctional. Both can't handle specific requests. Recent changes to their web site have also been disastrous. They have totally lost their personal customer focus to the detriment of their members. USAA is spending a huge amount of money advertising and promoting their business. They should put this back into recreating their previous excellent and quick access service by hiring more customer service staff - dump the computer answering service. Whatever customers they gain from advertising they are going to lose a greater number of members who become totally dissatisfied with their poor new customer access systems.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

USAA is a joke. I disputed double charging on my account from AT&T, DirecTV that has been happening for over year. My and I just noticed it and called At&t, they in turn credited 5 months of the payments and said we have to go through Usaa for the rest. USAA denied the 7 remaining charges saying it was too late that we're just out of $500.00. So much for taking care of the military, what a joke. I think this company is garbage and so are the people working these departments. I am a disabled veteran who does not have money to give away. USAA answer to me was to send some documents stating why they denied my claim. I say to all veterans and active duty members put your money and trust elsewhere. This company does not care about us just more like service from a company profiting off of us.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2022

On January 13 2022 someone hacked my account and did a 1,000 transaction through Zelle. I call right away and explain what was going on with my account. They told me it was fine. They were going to investigate. I told the lady, "Can you put a stop or block my account mean while? Because if they come back they can take the rest of the money out.." She told me it was fine, it was already reported and my money was safe..

Next day January 14 2022 I keep receiving notifications about all the transactions they were doing through Zelle. I call right away, explain what happened the day before and that they guarantee me my money was safe.. Now USAA said that they can't do anything because all the transaction were made from my phone!! That it was me that did all transactions.. They took all 2,205, closed my account and told me I cannot have a checking account with them no more.. This is how they protect your money.. Think twice if you are thinking to open account with them. I personally don't recommend it.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2022

I want to say that USAA customer support is not what it used to be. I got misinformation and even lied to after asking an agent to notate my account about what we have discussed, they did not notate my account at all and had to reiterate what the issue was for the 4th in a day. Then when I was talking to an agent in Web Support and asked to be transferred to a supervisor, I was transferred to another agent in the checking department. I was on the phone for over 2hrs, absolutely ridiculous. Very poor service.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

I've been with USAA over 40 years. In the beginning, they were fantastic. However, over the past several years, they've deteriorated terribly. Their customer representatives seem to have extremely limited training now. They give out incorrect information and claim they're researching issues when they don't. I can no longer recommend USAA and am moving my finances and business to another financial institution.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2021

Spent 2 weeks talking to multiple customer service agents. Uploading documents. Spending hours on hold. Just to be denied for ** reasons! Too many inquiries. Really? No **. I am auto loan shopping. I have already been approved by several other lenders. Thought USAA was supposed to be the cat's Meow. Instead I feel it is the cat's Poo in the litter box. Unless you have perfect credit. Or are just desperate. Do Not Waste Your Time

Original review: Nov. 20, 2021

I originated a rv loan in 2018, for $84000.00 at a 6.34%. I currently owe $74000 on this rv that currently is worth $52000, I have called and spoke with the office of the CEO twice and was assured that I would be contacted and be provided assistance in getting this loan to where I could pay off it sooner. I have spoken with the loan assistance department and all they want is the money! USAA isn't going to do anything but let my home, yes I live in this be a repossession! USAA wants this home knowing it isn't worth the loan value. I want to pay the loan, not the interest at 6.34% If I am not getting the principal paid down! Why should I keep this loan for another 14 years!

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

I purchased airlines tickets using my USAA debit card. My ex girlfriend went behind me a changed the ticket and used the same card to purchase a new ticket and wasn't authorized to do so. USAA said this wasn't fraud and to contact the airline. I did that and it was all verified. I got the money back, but USAA would not file this as a fraud claim. They are calling it a dispute. Also this person was an executive claims adjustor there. I watched her do the same thing to clients that was done to me. USAA will never get another dime of my money EVER again. They take care of it own whether they continue to work there or not.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2021

Saturday, my debit card would not work. This happens sometimes as I buy crypto and USAAs systems flag it. Called to verify the transactions and go about my way. Tuesday I'm out at lunch and my card doesn't work again. Big surprise. I try a card for another account that doesn't work either. So I call and am told that my accounts are frozen for a fraud review and that it would be complete in three business days and that I can access my accounts on Thursday morning at the latest. Thursday morning rolls around and still frozen. I call again and am told they'll expedite it but it'll take another 3 business days. Friday morning I get paid and still frozen. This is beyond ridiculous. I've had this account for 16 years. No wonder banks dislike crypto. They can't freeze my crypto like they do my cash.

Opened a new account with Capital One and am waiting for my stuff to be unfrozen so I can transfer it all out. This company used to be amazing, but is painfully apparent they're on the wrong track. They've recently been hit with numerous fines over compliance violations and their service has gone by the wayside. Be warned- this isn't a bank you want to get into bed with.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2021

My best friend Terry ** died in March of this year. He had a Credit card with USAA that I guess He owed $2350 dollars on. I was not on that account. However, I was a joint account with our savings and checking. I was given my Federal Pell Grant to be able to pay for room and board to attend College and USAA took that Grant money to pay off the Credit card that's not in my name. I am having to drop out of college. Thanks USAA for your great support of US citizen and stealing from me.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2021

USAA draws you in by listing excellent (auto) loan rates. (Not sure if they do with other types of loans as well, but they’ve done it to me more than once when shopping for an auto loan) BUT, when you apply, you will be offered higher rates. It doesn’t matter if you have excellent credit, income, and loan to value ratio…The rates they show online are merely to trick you into applying. I’ve been a customer for many years. I was an insurance customer until they raised their rates significantly for no reason (no claims ever). I am now in the process of transferring my accounts to my local credit union.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2021

I have been a member of USAA for roughly 15 years. Customer service was exceptional in the beginning but it has completely deteriorated over the last 5 or 6 years. Not only do the phone techs not know how to rectify issues or supply answers for simple problems but they now lie to you. I am having trouble with the USAA mobile app (AGAIN). I cannot access my money. I need to increase my ATM limit so I can make a large purchase yet I can't access my money. The mobile app says it needs to send me a text to verify my identity but they have no known phone number on file. This has been my phone number for 2 years at that point and I had updated it in the USAA system using a human over the phone at least 6 times, 4 times in the last 6 months.

The USAA Customer Service Phone Rep was not able to verify my identity because they have the wrong email address. How the heck did they get the wrong email address? The Phone Rep can only see the first letter of the email and the rest is blocked out. She cannot even update the email to ensure she has the correct one. She has no power or authority to address my concerns and this is what you will be dealing with if you choose USAA. It is not worth it, use a local bank that you can access easily and save yourself a lot of trouble.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

I am so angry with USAA and their policies! First of all, there are no banks or ATMs located within 100 miles of where I live in Albuquerque - which in and of itself makes absolutely NO SENSE because there is a military base here! Second of all, due to there being no way to make a physical deposit - they put a hold on all funds received through their mobile deposit feature!

When I called in I got all the way through to their office of the CEO and was told that their policy is to have a hold on funds received through the mobile banking feature and that they will not release them under any circumstances! Additionally, the funds I deposited were money orders from the GOVERNMENT POST OFFICE! I could see it if it were a private check - but to hold funds on money orders and cashier's checks? RIDICULOUS! We have been a customer with them for over 40 years and this is the way they treat loyal members! I'm going to find another bank because of this crap.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

USAA is somewhat unique. They don't have traditional branches and members do their banking online. That's my preference and not a problem, except that as an online bank you'd expect the USAA online banking experience and features to be top notch, but they aren't. Their bill pay functionality is way behind competitors (e.g., BofA, Wells Fargo) where I also bank. Payments to large billers (Citi, AMEX, Target, etc.) are surprisingly slow compared to the competition. The options for customizing the interfaces are limited and frustrating (the account I primarily access 95% of the time, is never on my home screen). They obviously haven't done much competitive or usability analysis. We used to buy insurance products from USAA but bundling advantages were minimal, and AAA rated competitors were significantly cheaper. The primary USAA saving grace is they don't nickel and dime me like my other banks do.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

USAA used to be a great company but over the last couple of years they have went to the dogs. I had a tree fall near my house 2 years ago. Usaa sent out a repair crew to fix a 6 inch hole in my roof. The repairs ended up costing over $30 thousand the contractor ended up being investigated for fraud by USAA. As the investigation drags on my credit rating takes a hit from their contractor and my insurance rates went up like crazy.

USAA is not the company that it used to be. Even their banking has suffered. They seem to change the rules daily with new account service updates. For instance As of September 11, 2021 I can protect my saving from overdraft with my checking account but I can’t protect my checking account with overdraft protection from my savings. What kind of bull is that? When you try to call them they will keep you on hold for over an hour rather than offer you a call back option. It has become very obvious to me that they could care less about the satisfaction of their customers! Do yourself a favor, find somewhere else to do your business.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2021

Updated on 09/21/2021: After post time. 90 day railroad. Multiple account shutdowns. 9 debit cards reissued be USAA only 1/3 at my request. My data breached confirmation legally documented. Device send back to me from IP provider. Next? Device will go to manufacture for analysis. With documented study.

Last for this month possible release of my received recoding of fraud report employee of said bank. Polite??? Who said that. This one stated his decision was final. Bottom line. Period! CEO can't reform my authorization. Well Mr/Miss/Mrs Ceo might as well go home collect a check. With this one running the barnyard.

Mark my words it's too late to send the money back. My satisfaction will come from broadcasting to my brothers and sisters with open, transparent, proof, along with audio recording for their retraining excesses.

They will be Suing me before this is over. Not the other suggested path advised by fraud analysis king. At usaa. Never fight a old soldier who has nothing to lose. When he or she never did anything wrong. We'll just read more about your 85 million fines etc. Tell anyone who will listen. Thank you. Consumer Affairs. Usaa look for more drill instructing via the. W.w.w. So. Sit back shut up, and hand on. The rear bay door will deploy at 14,500 altitude today. Green light means jump. Sport.

Original: I was hacked by a group outside and within U. S. USAA returned what amounted to $1250.00. After 2 months I got hit with $2450.00 by usaa to return with 4 days' notice. I call. Disputed with back up info from AT&T. Usaa was not hearing it. After 5 years with usaa. They left me with nothing to live on for a whole month. No communication. A desperate move on their part. Myself over 15 calls. Nothing so far. Almost one way operation from usaa. We make the final judgment. You have No input on your money. Communist. Thinking. Rocky **

Original review: Aug. 21, 2021

I don’t like to post negative but people need to be aware to stay away from USAA. I am writing to notify anyone that has @USAA to cancel all of your accounts. I had someone take $1301 through the USAA approved ZELLE app, that is actually ON the @USAA app, and they are not covering me under consumer protection/identity theft/fraud. I was left with $26. AND they still didn’t freeze the account while fraud was under investigation and charged me with a NSF the next day when a regular, legitimate payment tried to come through. So now my account is negative.

I filed a claim. They denied it. I have now filed a Federal Claim, I also filed through the Attorney General (as the Federal Claim department suggested), and filed a local police report in person. USAA could SEE the fake emails and they still denied the claim. AND, regardless, their security measures should have flagged the account for suspicious activity and suspended it. There were 4 transactions one after the other. I RARELY use ZELLE so that should have been a red flag. Where is their security? I am appalled and stranded financially. I have been with USAA for more than 25 years and this is how they protect me? USAA’s security measures are a joke, they don’t protect their clients, and they don’t stand behind their claims. Stay far away from USAA.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2021

I have been a USAA member for over 22 years, but some of the products or Third-party vendors are way behind in the bars that USAA delivers. Bill pay shows a poor commitment to customer service, and efficiency that USAA has earned. For instance, we moved over three years ago, but Bill Pay has Not yet updated our home address, even though I have been in contact via phone and USAA web messaging system. The checks sent out reflects an old address of ours, so when solid checks show an Inaccurate address for us.

I spent more than ONE hour from the moment that I called until I have representative, Abey help me out, today. Abey was helpful, but while consulting for help from her peers, after spending over 35 minutes on the phone, Abey voiced that she was advised to have another member call her instead. This activity of Not Owning Bill-pay's problems are totally dissatisfying and damaging USAA overall reputation. I would suggest for USAA to hire a more versatile, and efficient Bill pay Operator.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

I had experience with Heidi and Vince from the CEO office of USAA. My dispute is for $5000 and is because I did not receive my order from Alibaba.com paid for with my USAA Bank debit card. They submitted to Visa and came back and told me visa would not honor the dispute because a 3rd party was involved with the item (customs). I emailed with visa who said this isn’t their policy and to talk to usaa again so I did. First of all there was no customs involvement with my items until May 11th and I have emails from the airport manager, customs agent, and a letter that all prove this. So my claim in April should not have been denied for this reason. I have still not received these items that were due to me in March. I paid for the other half of this order with my PayPal debit card and they investigated and found that I was entitled to a refund for items not received.

I showed this to usaa, they do not care. I asked them to resubmit to visa the dispute today 8/5 and they said no that it’s been reviewed by their dispute team and it stands denied. Excuse me? So you we not willing to let visa make a decision with the correct facts? You told visa the items were at customs and they were not, they based their denial on this information and you refuse my request to resubmit using the correct information that is that customs was not involved the items were just left at the airport storage center instead of being delivered to my door as ordered. In addition I paid for sea delivery with door to door service. The merchant without asking me changed it to air delivery and did not provide door to door service. The merchant reported that their job is done because it landed in the USA? And USAA is okay with this? When I paid to have it delivered to my house not left at an airport somewhere in California. That is crazy.

When you buy something if you don’t receive it and can prove it you are entitled to a refund. I did not receive this order there is overwhelming proof, the seller did not send it correctly and there is proof of that as well. But usaa will not resubmit to visa using this truth. And I’m out $5,000. My wife and I are leaving this bank as this is no way to treat a military family that has served 20years.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

Well over 30 years with this bank is coming to an end. After several erroneous credit card transactions and re-issuances. I noticed that new cards were having charges before I even activated them! This can only be done from the inside. USAA will not admit it, but they have a serious problem. Customer care is gone with this organization. Declining debit card transactions with over 100 times the transaction amount in the account...it goes on and on. I can only recommend to new service members starting out---do not join.

Original review: July 29, 2021

For years now we have watched as their algorithm withheld any ACH payments for up to a WEEK and then hit us with an NSF fee even when we would deposit money to cover the expense. We've gone so far as to take the extra fee to pay with our card so they can't do this to us but some things we can't change. The most recent is our payment to the YMCA which faithfully has gone through every 25th for months now.

On the 27th I noticed it hadn't gone through yet, so I sent money into the account and called the YMCA. They assured me that the payment had gone through on their end on the 25th. At end of day on the 27th, my bank account still showed no charges. Today (29th) it says NSF fee payment returned, marked for the 27th. YOU TELL ME. I was charged $29 NSF fee for an $18 payment. How does that make sense?? It's predatory and it's an algorithm and no customer service agent can tell me otherwise. I have screenshots of how my account will say one thing one day and then something completely different the next to suit their agenda. I'm not handing them my money so they can take it anymore. I'm finding a different way to pay my bills.

Original review: July 28, 2021

They refinanced my house mortgage but aren't refinancing rental properties. Hence three stars. The rates are good, but I'm annoyed that I'm not able to refinance our townhouse and condo. I got strongarmed into going with a preferred mortgage company with both my townhouse and house.

Original review: July 26, 2021

I ordered a teller's check for my monthly rent. USAA withdrew the money but lost the check and never were able to deliver me. After calling multiple times I got very inconsistent information on how to recover the money. Turns out there is a 3 month wait period. After the 3 months I had to fill out a set of forms and call multiple times with long wait, but they told me if I uploaded the form online it would work. After weeks of nothing I had to call again, and a new person told me I actually had to mail the form and the former person told me incorrectly. After another week they give me a call saying they printed the wrong check number on the form, so I have to repeat the process. Terrible experience, customer service reps are not knowledgeable on USAA policies and give me conflicting information, all as I am trying to resolve a check that USAA themselves lost. Will be switching to a better bank.

Original review: June 28, 2021

USAA is requiring members to divulge personal, private information prior to logging in to access my bank accounts. The website is asking questions such as "what is your net worth?" and "what is your annual income?" and other information that is private. I am not applying for a loan or requesting any additional accounts- I am merely trying to access my current accounts and the money I've invested with USAA. If you don't answer these personal questions, the website threatens to restrict access to your accounts. I do not wish to answer personal questions or give out private information to my bank so that I can access my money.

I tried calling customer service multiple times to explain that I do not wish to provide an answer and to speak with a supervisor, but I am being denied and told I must give them my personal information to continue accessing my bank accounts. I've been a member with USAA for 20 years, and I have never been more upset and disappointed with their service.

Original review: June 14, 2021

USAA is a full service bank that really takes care of its customers. If not able to take care of any issues online, USAA has customer service that is always polite and helpful. The website is easy to use.

Original review: June 4, 2021

My husband I have been members since the 70’s. The insurance side has been great, the banking side not so. I have. This is just one of many crazy issues I have had with this bank. I placed a $20.00 some old order with Zazzle. It was denied. I am sure USAA saw this as a fraudulent charge. I immediately called USAA and am on 53 minutes on hold. This happens every time I have to call. I messaged them, via FB Messenger and got some canned response about how sorry they are. I am now changing banks. If you try to call them out on social media they have their setting to most relevant which means only favorable reviews. They used to be a great company. Now I am changing banks and insurance because they aren’t so great anymore. I am now on hold for 56 minutes.

Original review: June 3, 2021

I have been a USAA member for 39 years. My mother passed in January and as a result all family members are leaving USAA Federal Savings Bank, that is over 15 families. It has been impossible to access her accounts that were Payable upon death, pay her 2020 income taxes and access her mutual funds, Victory Capital. I strongly suggest leaving if you care for the survivors of your estate and don't want the huge obstacle of USAA Bank in your way.... absolutely no customer service and each "representative" gives you a very different story- so so sad. Once was a great company but those days are over! It has been a nightmare- 6 months later, we still have no access to file for her income tax in 2020 because they want to charge for every document requested- at least over 500.00 dollars. It took 5 months to get access any of her money that her family was designated by her to have access.

Original review: June 3, 2021

All banking is online with USAA...but it is one stop shopping.... insurance, checking, savings, CDs etc...Always someone to speak with if needed...Husband has been a customer since 1970's...Love it..So organized

USAA Banking Company Information