Find a Student Loans partner

2. Education
  3. Student Loans

3.9/5 (202 ratings)
Find a Student Loans partner

Starting college this year?

See our recommended student loan offers for 2021

Get started

About PNC Student Loans

PNC is a provider of private student loans for current students and refinancing options for existing borrowers. Its rates vary by student and cosigner creditworthiness, but it offers a discount for auto-pay setup and allows borrowers to defer payments in certain circumstances. Borrowers can manage their loan on PNC’s website.

Pros

• Auto-pay interest rate discount
  • Deferment options
  • Flexible repayment options

Cons

• Hard credit check
  • No poor-credit loans

Bottom Line

PNC offers private loans for undergraduate and graduate students and refinancing options for former students. It provides flexible repayment terms, deferment options and both variable and fixed interest rates.

Top PNC Student Loans Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

They are always there to answer any questions I have. ... They work with me to help me pick a plan I can afford. ... I have always been lent enough to cover all of my schooling ne...

Verified

I found that I was treated quite well during the entire process. The people that I dealt with were quite nice and good at their jobs. ... I was able to find a solution that met my...

Starting college this year?

See our recommended student loan offers for 2021

Get started

What is PNC?

PNC is a lender of undergraduate and graduate student loans. It also provides refinancing options for former students who are no longer enrolled in school. PNC offers a variety of benefits, such as cosigner release, long repayment terms, interest rate deduction and deferred payment options. It also offers fixed and variable rates loans and requires no application or origination fees.

Applicants can also apply for a $2,000 scholarship via its website. Candidates must be 18 years or older and be a U.S. citizen.

How do PNC student loans work?

For those interested in receiving a loan from PNC, the application process is fairly simple. Inquiring borrowers can apply online and receive a quote within minutes. Applicants go through a credit check, and those with poor credit must have a creditworthy cosigner in order to be considered for approval.

All applicants must submit their background information, a personal reference, the school they’re attending, their employer and the amount they wish to borrow. PNC offers undergraduate, graduate, and health and medical professional studies aid, as well as bar exam prep aid.

There are three repayment options available for borrowers: full deferral, interest-only payments while enrolled in school and immediate repayment. Furthermore, students who enroll in auto-pay are eligible for an additional 50% interest rate deduction. PNC also allows a six-month grace period after graduation, during which a borrower doesn’t need to make any payments.

Undergraduates can borrow a maximum of $50,000 per year, and graduates and health and medical professionals can borrow a maximum of $65,000 per year.

PNC also offers medical professionals and veterinarians residency loans at up to $15,000 per year — these loans are intended to help with living expenses. Its bar study loans max out at $15,000, and its refinancing loans go up to $75,000.

PNC student loan requirements

Eligibility requirements for PNC student loans include:

• Proof of U.S. citizenship for student and cosigner
  • Proof of U.S. residency for previous two years for student and cosigner
  • At least half-time enrollment in a degree-seeking program

The student and cosigner must also meet credit and debt-to-income requirements. If self-employed, the student or cosigner must have at least two years of self-employment income.

PNC offers five-, 10- and 15-year loan terms. Before refinancing, borrowers must have made payments on their loan for two years.

PNC student loan rates

Loan rates vary depending on credit history and income. PNC offers rates ranging from 4.54% to 11.79% for fixed-rate loans and 4.7% to 11.87% for variable loans.

PNC student loan FAQ

What credit score do you need for a PNC loan?
A minimum credit score isn’t specified on its website; however, PNC does state creditworthiness is an eligibility factor.
Will PNC give me a loan with bad credit?
PNC will not issue a student loan to a borrower or a cosigner with poor credit in most circumstances.
How long does it take PNC to approve a loan?
PNC’s website does not specify how long it takes to approve a loan.
Who does PNC use to check credit?
PNC uses Equifax, Transunion and Experian to check credit.

Is PNC good for student loans?

PNC is a good lender option for undergraduates, graduate students and former students looking to refinance their loans. Borrowers should be creditworthy and have a good employment history. Its benefits include flexible repayment options, payment deferment options, variable and fixed interest rates, a free and simple application process and an auto-pay discount. A degree isn’t required for financing. It also offers a scholarship opportunity through its sweepstakes program.

PNC Student Loans Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about PNC Student Loans?

Original review: Sept. 21, 2021

PNC bank should be ashamed of themselves. You are the only bank that does not offer forgiveness of student loans based on total/permanent disability and the only bank that will not allow reasonable payment options. You hide behind AES Success and won't even talk to your customers leaving them to be the bad guys. They offered you a payment plan that only takes a whopping $50 off your original payment and then will report you as delinquent for 90 days in essence ruining your credit, bad enough you have live on a fixed income due to an illness that you weren't planning on but then you get kicked in the teeth when trying to do the right thing. Can you say discrimination against the disabled???? I'm sure the Consumer Financial Protection Agency will love to hear these unorthodox practices. Trust me I won't go down without a fight against your piss poor practices.

Original review: July 10, 2021

Excellent follow up and concern for refinancing opportunities. Using them for multiple loans. Good contact for planning hiatus during COVID epidemic! Almost paid off!! Will recommend them to others!!

Get buying tips about Student Loans delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2016

They are always there to answer any questions I have. They are willing to work with me to help me stay ahead. The repayment options is great. They work with me to help me pick a plan I can afford. They have more than just one options about repaying the loans. I have always been lent enough to cover all of my schooling needs. I have never had any problems not getting enough. I haven't really noticed any additional fees. There has never been any hidden fees either. I am quite satisfied with my loans. No complaints here.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2016

The customer service representatives were awesome. I would compare their service to the one I receive at Nordstrom who is very well known for their excellent customer service. The repayment options that were presented to me were very different from the ones I have salt with other companies in the past. It had a more flexible and variety. The borrowing limits exceeded the ones that I had the option to choose from in other instances with various companies. The average was higher than the normal. The additional fees that were added to this transaction were exceedingly less than the ones that I have checked into before. It was tremendously lower.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2016

Very caring and really help with your needs and have very reliable and courteous customer service. They are the greatest. Very flexible payments and will work with you to keep you on track and help with your finances. One of the best available they really care about their customers. Have very reasonable borrowing limits that help the customer get their finances on track. Love the limits they have set. Great and amazing bank. Have low fees that most are reasonable and waivable if it occurs. Very reasonable company. Love them and their services all the way around.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2016

They were very nice and worked with me to get the loan I needed. They took into consideration all my financial needs and got me the loan that worked best with me. The repayment options aren't rushed or overwhelming. You can begin paying gradually or at the end of your education which works perfectly for me. Borrowing limits are reasonable but still great and allow me to get just the amount I need to finish my education without being worried or nervous for the future. The additional fees aren't much only paying interest for the loan I applied for. It was extremely simple and reasonable. Still not too spendy and basically just right.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

They offer great customer service which I really liked and they address all your banking needs and that helps make things a lot easier for me and my family. They help you any way they can. They offer great repayment options to really help you and your budget. They seem to understand times are tough and things are hard for people to make ends meet and they do what they can to help you out. They offer great borrowing limited to fit everyone's budget which I thought was really nice of them and helps take the stress out of baking so you can get on with your life. Every bank has fees for everything, that's how they make their money. I don't like it cause they are a bit high but what can you do? They all have them so you just have to just and deal with it and try and make the best of it.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2016

I found that I was treated quite well during the entire process. The people that I dealt with were quite nice and good at their jobs. They always were nice and polite. The repayment options that were available to me were acceptable. I was able to find a solution that met my needs and worked well within my budget. I was able to borrow enough money to get the courses I needed paid for. I was able to stay within the limits and still complete my masters degree. I found that the other fees besides the standard ones regarding my interest on the loan were fair and reasonable. I feel confident that I received a fair deal.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2016

Spent days contacts via every avenue: email, phone, Facebook, PNC website with chat and took forever to get back to me and not as accommodation with deferment some and assistance as others. Options very limited and cumbersome to apply for and/or fill out paperwork for. I can't tell you the frustration and tears shed. These were standard like other limits set by the federal government do they were as expected. Borrowing limits are standard for students. Unnecessary fees for basic processing like proof of loan consolidation, deferment status, account status and the like. I shouldn't have to pay $5 for you to email a copy of my approval to me.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2016

I liked how friendly they were and knowledgeable. They definitely were able to help me and explain everything I was supposed to know so they were very helpful. They were available when I needed them. I loved the payment options because they were very reasonable and low but I could control how much I wanted to pay in case. I was able to pay them back quickly which made me feel better. They did have a lot of requirements when it came to borrowing a loan but did their best to help me understand the whole process so that made things easier. I liked how there were no additional fees mostly because I always paid on time and sometimes more than my minimum. But even then my loan was not big so no fees.

PNC Student Loans Company Information