American Equity Investment

Des Moines, IA

American Equity

Many thanks for your feedback, Sidney. We are pleased to hear you are happy with your experience.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2016

I have just retired but continue to work. Knowing that my Equity account is stable, with potential growth is very important. Time will be the true test of this fund, but to date, I am comfortable that I made a good investment for the future.

American Equity

Robert, American Equity is delighted to read your feedback. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2015

Very knowledgeable sales agents, helpful throughout the entire process. The ability to collect payments for the rest of your life was most important. Setting up options for payouts were explained and easy to setup. Monthly payments arrive promptly on the day of the month you choose. Have never had a problem.

Factual basis uncertain

The agent that set up the annuity promised 8% annual returns vs the S&P. Calls to your rude staff were anything but clear on how to get the 8%. It was never made clear how or when to contact what nebulous part with what nebulous format to even change the investment mix, since you were expert at losing money. After several years, I've received less than what I put in, and the process has been full of lies and delays - misdirecting me, finally getting form, but they were the wrong forms, so I had to go through the entire process all over, and the cash was further delayed.

The postal service shows that you received my liquidation document on 6/2/16, but the woman I spoke with 6/10/16 said that the processing department did not receive the request until 6/8/16. This has all come about because I am now disabled, and desperately need the funds. Your cold staff offered no compromise for my much compromised situation. I am so upset that I will have no choice but to take this to the BBB and state insurance departments. This is your last chance.

American Equity

Donald, thank you for providing feedback about your experience. It is important that we understand your concerns. Someone from our team will be following up with you shortly.

Original review: June 6, 2016

I doubt if I fully understand how an American Equity annuity works. I always have to check with their office to find out how much I am allowed to withdraw during a year. If you have an excellent "fee only" financial advisor, it is possible to obtain advice on this, or any investment tailored to your circumstances. My independent agent is very high on American Equity and explained the annuity in great detail. Being in the Washington DC area, he understands the needs of government employees and the military.

Still, I am surprised at the low payouts, but that is what they offered, a cap on how much you will make without the danger of losses due to swings in the stock market. One thing for sure, it takes very little knowledge to invest in AE and wait, if that is what you want to do. If you have the time and knowledge, or a trusted and intelligent financial advisor, I suppose it makes sense to do one's own investing without going into annuities, mutual funds etc controlled by others. Just watch Cramer's Mad Money everyday on CNBC.

American Equity

Jane, thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2016

It is very nice experience to have a deal with American Annual Equity. Their customer service is excellent. They are answering all questions that we need. Their withdrawal options allows us that what we need actually. So I will happily recommend their product to everyone if they ask me. It is a relevant, reliable company to all. American Annual Equity has the best and easy and fastest payout options that people need. They are doing their very good job. So everyone can invest in that. American Annual Equity has the fantastic funding options that people we all need. You can get in an appropriate manner.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Equity?

American Equity

Thank you, Robert. We appreciate the time you spent to share your additional feedback.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2016

Good experience from working with sales to customer service. Never had a problem. All questions were answered within a day. Payout options, pay dates, survivor options, were all explained. I would recommend them to anyone looking for a lifetime payout.

American Equity

Tim, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with others. We are so happy to hear of the great customer service you received.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2016

This is a great product. I compared annuities and this was one of the best. Customer service is great and would define try recommend it. No problems with customer service at all as well.

No response received

My annuity was very helpful for me... I was very satisfied with it as a whole but there were some qualities to it that I didn't fancy as much as others. For one, the price I paid for it was very expensive. Although the customer service was absolutely amazing, the payout was very dissatisfying. Although some things about this experience was quite annoying to me and my fellow counterparts (including aunt, uncle, etc.) I would definitely recommend this Annuity company to anyone else who needs the service in the rough times of 2015. Well have fun.... The customer service is really nice but there were a few people you should talk to. (I WOULD SPEAK TO GEORGE!)

American Equity

Dorothy, your feedback is important to us. We appreciate the time you took to tell us about your experience.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2015

Very high rate for early withdrawal. I am happy with it. Customer service is excellent and they take you step by step on how everything works. I would strongly recommend this company. Just not happy if I had to withdraw early.

American Equity

Great feedback, Barbara. Thank you for taking the time to share your positive experience.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2015

The company we got the annuity from is new to us. We needed to get out of the stock market and have done much better since. This company seems to have more integrity than the last one and I would recommend American Equity to anyone that asks.

American Equity

Many thanks for the feedback, Earl. We're pleased to hear you are satisfied with American Equity.

Original review: Dec. 11, 2015

I find the help that I was given was very helpful and interesting. Cause me to invest. My opinions to accomplish more investment and to continue to help other people to follow the routine and route that I made risk and analysis investment cause growth for the future function may be a little risky but it pays off in the end.

American Equity

Nancy, American Equity has recently become accredited with ConsumerAffairs in an effort to address the consumer reviews posted on its website. We appreciate the time you took to tell us about your experience. We strive to provide excellent customer service and regret the experience you had. Someone from our team will be contacting you.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

Contacted agent regarding accessing part of funds in account. Agent (who no longer deals with American Equity today) sent paperwork to them on 9/14/15. When I had not gotten my check by last Monday I contacted the agent who gave me the number at American Equity. When I called them the agent there informed me they had the paperwork and this person did not know why my check had not been sent. I was assured it would be mailed on Thursday. I contacted them on Friday and was assured the check $15,000 had been mailed - regular mail - no signature required which seems very irresponsible considering the amount of the check. To date I have not received the check. I called again and they said it should arrive by Friday.

Submitted via overnight express mail instructions canceling a $250,000.00 annuity during the 20 day free look period. Letter receipted for @ 12 noon 10 JUNE 2015. Follow up phone call to insure that funds were being returned to my Fidelity account in a timely manner resulted in my being told the company would take no action to refund the monies until it received the contract back from the agent. Contacted the Florida Department of Financial Services to ask about the veracity of this statement. Agents at the FL Department of Financial Services stated unequivocally that American Equity had no right to delay refunding the monies while waiting for a contract to be returned. All that was required was a letter of instruction from me canceling the contract and instructing American Equity to return the $250,000.00 to my Fidelity IRA. That letter was signed for @ 12 noon 10 JUNE 2015.

When I called American Equity today 11 JUNE 2015 @ 1500 EDT the representative, once again, insisted that the company did not have to refund the monies until after the contract was returned. I stated the information I obtained from FL Department of Financial Services. The representative for American Equity stated that his company required that the contract be returned and didn't care what Florida's regulations were. When I asked to speak with a supervisor I was put on hold for ten minutes then told that a supervisor would have to be sent a message to call me back. It has been over an hour since that exchange with no return phone call. American Equity is keeping my funds to earn income on the float while they delay returning monies that are mine.

Several months ago I with my bank president inquired if my annuity could be used as collateral, after confirming, we then proceeded the transaction. I asked several representatives if any penalties or money this would cost me just acting as collateral, not closing it out. I was told time and time again NO. 4 months later everything is in place when I get a letter that states this info will be reported to IRS as interest income and I will be responsible for taxes. The annuity was never closed out, never transferred ownership.

After calling company, I got they neglected to tell me this info. This cost me my loan to be closed which was for a new home. I would think a professional company such as this would be competent enough to give correct info after asking several times but I guess not. This has caused such turmoil in my life, it has affected my health and am left with no solution to my problem.

My mother-in-law, who now lives with us, invested $36,000 with American Equity in a contract which was completed and able to be surrendered March 22.2014. She asked me to take power of attorney for finances to get her funds and reinvest them. American Equity refused saying this power of attorney for finances did not include surrender of the policy. They then called her in one evening and declared her mentally incompetent which was wrong and quite insulting. They insisted they would pay out if I got a "court order' (not specifying what kind of court order, or even what state). We hired an attorney who knew very well she was competent. American Equity they intended to pay out. They fooled our attorney once telling him of course they intended to pay out if he would only clear up the 'power of attorney' issue. He did and two months later there is still not action. We are determined this will not continue.

My dad invested $200,000-$250,000 with this company about 5 years ago to give him a "guaranteed" amount of money per month because his retirement investments took a hard hit in 2009. My dad, unfortunately, passed away this past month. Upon settling his estate, I contacted American Equity Investment to find out if there was a payout amount upon death and what the terms of the annuity were. Well I was shocked to find out that I would only (I use that word because the amount they are paying me versus what my dad invested) be getting $1,600/mo for the next 5 years and then all payments stop. This was the amount that my dad was receiving over the past 5 years of his retirement.

I find it shocking that my dad invested over $200,000 with this company and now upon his death his family is only entitled to $90,000 of the lump sum. $1,600 a month is a minimal investment amount that they were paying my dad and now me and at the end of the 5 years they get to keep all of the principal and then get to keep all the interest at that point.

I called today to get a copy of the contract and was informed that only way I could get a copy was by court order!!! My dad kept immaculate records and I cannot find the original contract he signed with this company so I am beginning to wonder if they even gave him a copy? I am interested in speaking with an attorney and looking into this matter further. I find it shocking that my dad worked his whole life and he gave these people his money trusting he was doing the right thing and they are basically stealing it from him.

I was convinced into investing a $100,000.00 (inherited) into an annuity that returns very little investment. I have been trying to cash in my funds and pay the surrender fees for several months now to re-invest and actually make money. The stalling tactics are unbelievable. AE sends copies of letters to me that are addressed to my investment firm but the firm never receives them. I have been trying to get my money for two months. I called today and demanded my funds be released. We will see how long it takes, if I ever even get it. I might have to get a lawyer and report them to the state insurance department as one reviewer suggested. SO SICK OF THIS.

I just wanted to say that I am an insurance agent AND customer of American Equity. While I feel sorry for your family for being taken advantage of, I just wanted to point out that it wasn't the company that ripped you off. It was the AGENT!!! You should file charges with your state insurance department for the agent's actions. Then MAYBE they (the state insurance dept. ) can get this person off the street and not have it happen again to someone else. Don't just complain...Do something about it.

Having lived through the depression and been an officer in the Navy, my Dad was very conservative with his finances. He closely guarded his money and kept it in savings bonds. Unfortunately, he was convinced by an American Equity Annuity agent to cash in his remaining savings bonds and buy an annuity for a man he barely knew. To do so, meant he had to incur a large tax bill as well.

The American Equity Annuity/Insurance Company agent disclosed this in a December 2008 meeting, after my father’s wife passed. He was mentally incapacitated at the age of 93. The agent convinced my dad to use his life’s savings for purchasing a $150,000 annuity to benefit someone who was mostly a stranger. This $150,000 of my (deceased) father’s remaining assets went to wrongfully enrich his second wife's adult son, with a $150,000 annuity. We have various doctor's notes that support the contention that he was legally incompetent to be purchasing an annuity in 2006 (at the age of 91.) An agent convinced Dudley (who was taken from a nursing home to an office) that he should buy an annuity for his wife’s son. Names can be provided.

This company will just take your money and keep it. You cannot take it out at all. The reason you cannot take it out at all is you will never live long enough to do that. They prey on people, telling them all sorts of lies. My husband and I just lost our jobs; we need our money and they told us we had to pay all hidden fees, surrender charges to take the money out. Please do not do business with this company. Read the other complaints about them on the website. There are countless lawsuits against them as to how they rip people off.

I put $100,000, my life's savings, into her fixed deferred annuity. I was so stupid in trusting her implicitly, that I did not read the contract, but just signed all the paperwork she was shoving at me. She never explained to me anything as a friend, and I know nothing about investments of annuities. My maturity date is in 2049, when I am 114 years old. I am now 78. Surrender fee is 20%, and I can only take out $5,000 yearly without penalty.

I need to know if I have a case to sue the company, and their agent, and get out my funds. I am a 4-year breast cancer survivor, and need to have accessible funds in the event I have a recurrence. I have no money to hire a lawyer, unless one will take my case on a contingency basis. My case is simple, and a good lawyer can help me break the contract on the basis of "breach of the implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing", that is explained in punitive damages. Can I get help from you? She was our accountant at our company, SGS, and we became personal friends of more than 4 years. It is a betrayal of my trust in our friendship.

I have lost control of my funds, and is at the mercy of this insurance company, of just getting $5,000 a year of my own money. My investment is now fragmented with the bulk of my funds, being held by this predator company, and the agent, getting a big commission, because of the amount I put in and the lenght of time of the maturity date. Can you refer me to a lawyer who is willing to take on my case on a contingency basis? Yes, I want you to publish this in your website as American Equity had a class action lawsuit against them in Boca Raton, FL using the same modus operandi it did to me.

The lawsuit was handled by Hargrove Pierson & Brown, and Jeffrey Voudrie named this company in his website "Guarding Your Wealth, Seeking Legal Recourse". I want to alert other senior citizens here in Maryland who are already victims or will be. Do publish my complaint, please. Waiting to hear from you. Thank you.

On August 8, 2001 Mr. Patin got me to invest $20,000 in an Annuity at the age of 77. At the end of a 10 year contract the payments will be $201. I briefly heard about the Henrich Gordon case but it is no longer on your site. Did that case settle out of court? Additionally, I think (but am not sure) Mr. Patin is also involved in out Living Trust agreement. The company office is in Des Moines, IA.

American Equity Company Profile