2. Education
  3. Online Colleges

4.0/5 (480 ratings)

About University of Phoenix

University of Phoenix Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about University of Phoenix?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about University of Phoenix?

Original review: Jan. 24, 2020

I attended classes at the Pine Island and Cypress Creek locations and Graduated in 2006. I am still waiting for them to send me my Diploma. According to their customer service department, I did not do the exit interview. They have no record of it. I fulfilled all the requirements, but despite this I have to pay for copies of my transcript just to prove that I even attended this institution. The last customer service rep told me I would need to travel to their head office to get the matter resolved. This means travelling from Florida to Phoenix Arizona. I earned 123 credits, received a piece of paper during the graduation ceremony. Finished my final class. Had the exit interview. Still no diploma. Student **

Original review: Dec. 17, 2019

I am really surprised at the bad rap these guys have gotten over the years. As someone who attended a few different schools, I can assure you, you get no lesser of an education here than anywhere else. People have this weird perception of a stigma against online education or something its really bizarre. The school is accredited and meets the standards that are set. I don't know why they think it's any different than a school you actually physically attend. I've done both. I didn't notice any difference other than UoP was a lot more convenient to my work schedule. Honestly, I think it's a just some kind of bias.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2019

As a military spouse, I never had anyone to try to force me to take a course with expectations of being hired after graduation. I have a Master's in Health Administration. You get what you put into your classes.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

I am about 2.5 years into my 4 year degree. I loved the first 2 years and was breezing through my classes and had no doubt I was going to finish my degree with a high GPA. Recently the format for online classes has changed. Every course now has team assignments where you are thrown in with a random group of people from all over the country who also have jobs, families, and are in different time zones. This has been the worst experience for me. Online courses are not the right format for this learning style and I would say most people who choose online courses do so because they need to be able to work on their own time around their work and family schedules.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2019

I was reading the online review early this evening on this site. I was discouraged by some of what I was reading. What al lot of folks fail to understand is if you are a student, seeking employment for a specific job. You need to do some homework. I am currently a UOPX student, working on a MA in education. I called my home state DOE to ensure the degree I was seeking leads to obtaining a teaching license in the state. I spoke with teachers I know and they said I am good to go. The issue with with the reviews mostly are people just not doing their due diligence and checking and ensuring the degree is a match for the career they are pursuing. Furthermore, if you go to school, you have to pay. If you don't most likely you are noting going to like the person that calls you to let you know you owe money. That doesn't mean a school is a bad school because they expect people to pay their bills.

Also, its true UOPX had some issues with blackboard, which are now resolved. The program works well now and is better in many ways than the old program, it just takes some getting use too that's all. Lastly, degrees from UOPX are excepted by all universities and employers. UOPX is an accredited university. If it were not accredited. You could not even apply for a federal student loan or use Military TA or the GI Bill. Some of reviews on here are simply ignorant. They don't realize that the programs are accredited, therefore meet a standard, which obviously a few people could not meet the standard and moved onto another school, leaving a trail of negative comments. Most likely not realizing that all that complaining gets back to employers, which tarnishes a reputation of school for the simply fact that people are ignorant.

I am almost done with my graduate degree. I have no issues and the course materials and content are relevant and meet HLC accreditation standards. I will be employable when I graduate, so long as my resume and self are prepared to join the workforce. A degree is not guarantee employment in itself. You still have to do the things employers expect out of future employees.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I am a retired Army soldier and I attended UOP and received both my Bachelor's (2011) degree masters degrees (2014). I attend class for both degrees in the class room because I wanted a more personal experience. I love the interaction among my classmates. UOP is not like any other college programs I've attended. The lectures at UOP became open discussions among all of us. Those discussions were extremely refreshing, they made learning truly easy to understand and capture. The program formats and materials made it connectable, relate-able to career situations. The small group settings was awesome, by the end of the program my teammates felt like family, we shared a lot of great times in and out of the class room.

I've recommended UOP to several of my army buddies, friends and wife, many have, all of them are doing extremely well in their careers. If you not sure go visit a location or several locations. Talk to the students, ask questions, walk into the computer labs and you will see real learning going on because that's what I did before I choose University of Phoenix. The staff and Professors are true professionals. Many of the professors actually work in the career field for which they are instructing you're getting what's current in the industry now. Lastly the relationships you develop should you attend in the classroom classes are boundless, an unlimited value friends for life.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2019

I took a python class at UOP and now have written three D apps from the knowledge gained from my software development classes at UOP. I will say that I had to dedicate and take the initiative to read and do every assignment and pay attention to every detail. The thing about online schools is that it's up to the person to truly apply themselves. That is while the student is in school and after they graduate. I have read a lot of people saying businesses don't take their education at UOP serious, but it is your job to make them take you serious. Keep calling apply yourself and don't give up. You worked hard for that degree and when they finally give you a chance prove them that they are wrong. I finish school in June and have a job in IT lined up. UOP reports 57% job success after graduation. I hear all kinds of stories from everyone that finishes school saying they can't find a job in their field for this or that excuse but it's just that an excuse!

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

Firstly, classes through the online program at UOP are kind of a complete joke. I did not learn a single thing. It all felt like busywork. Secondly, they are incredibly expensive for what they are offering. I withdrew from the university during the first week of a course (at the start of the week, way before it ended) and they charged me nearly $400 for the class - that I didn't even start. It's incredibly frustrating and they will not waive that. They do offer a payment plan if that's what you're looking for.

Additionally, professors are not helpful and take forever to respond, and by the time they do, the assignment due date has already passed. There are so many "filler" classes that had no purpose. The only good thing about the program is that each class is only 5 weeks, but you don't get any breaks, besides a week in winter. I feel like if you're looking for an easy but expensive way out, then this program is for you. If not, go somewhere else! Do not buy into this fake program.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2019

I wanted to complete my education and as I have 3 kids and was working at the time was a good idea for me. So I ended my BBA and MBA at University of Phoenix with a 3.62 GPA. However it is like I didn't nothing. To look for a better job as soon as they see University of Phoenix in my resume that put the sign "idiot" in my forehead....Seven years ago I graduated and my diploma is good as a toilet paper. Don't waste your money here please. I have a loan that I can't pay because I can't find a job with their studies reference.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

This is an amazing university with incredible programs, curricula, and excellent support from the staff and faculty. I complete my masters in 2015 and will culminate my doctoral studies in 6 months. Tuition is as much as in any other university. I compared this university with my state universities and I had to stay with Phoenix. State universities can't compete with UoP programs and excellent, well structured learning platform.

University of Phoenix Company Information