2. Education
  3. Online Colleges

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.48/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

American Career College Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Career College?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Career College?

Original review: Sept. 9, 2014

I don't recommend going to this school to anyone. The LVN department sucks. They aren't understanding or want to help you. All they want to do is steal your money. They make you think you'll pass the program but won't help you if you need help. What they don't tell you in the ads is that you might not graduate from there but even if you don't they will take your money. They change instructors throughout every term. They don't have a stable staff. Throughout the time I was there they changed directors about 3 times. They really don't care about anyone but themselves. So do yourself a favor & look for another school that offers the program you would like but not this school - it's horrible. I honestly regret going here. It's a waste of time & a waste of money. This place deserves no stars.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2014

Okay so I assisted ACC. Nov. 2013 - Jul. 2014, I went for medical assisting. In the Long Beach campus, right after graduating HS, I enrolled just to avoid community college & well My experience was actually very good. I had one of the best instructors. He was very helpful, always worrying about his students & always offering his lunch time for tutoring for those who needed it (even though I never went).

Yes, my class was full off 20 & over females (moms) who acted like high school brats, always dramatic with everything. I would've thought they'd be more mature, always bringing negative vibe into the classroom. I always minded my own business, kept my circle small and talked to everyone regardless if they didn't "speak" to someone around me & I was the youngest in the class, I had just turned 18.

Anywho, another downside, we always ran out of materials. Sometimes we couldn't practice injection because we had no injections or band-aids, etc... We didn't have vacutainers or enough iodine ink but we ran out of stuff. Either way we worked with what we had. Anyways my experience wasn't so bad those 8 months. The last month before going out to extern, we were suppose to have mock interviews, tips on how to dress for an interview, all that prep stuff. Somehow, it didn't happened & right after my last day of class, I hadn't heard anything about my externship site. I was concerned but I didn't have time to stay after school and ask.

That afternoon, I got home to receive a call that I had an interview the very next morning. I was caught absolutely off guard, I didn't know what to wear, what to say, what to do, I wasn't expecting that. Whatever, I went to the interview but didn't get the job. They set me up for another interview and that one I did get, & I loved it! I loved that site and I actually did get hired. I'm working there till this day. They offered me minimum wage to start off which I expected more. I never worked at a job for minimum wage & c'mon, minimum wage for MA. But I guess at least I got the job, and yes, thanks to ACC, I am now in the medical field.

Original review: June 19, 2014

I see all the complaints about ACC and they are true. I am attending school at the location in Anaheim and they are such ignorant people and pick and chose who they want to help. I would never ever refer anyone to that school ever and if I have to I will report them to Sacrament. I am to the point that I just want to switch schools even if it means I have to start over again. Listen to the reviews. We are not making it up!!!!

Original review: May 14, 2014

I am currently attending the nursing program at ACC and it is total fraud... They advertise small classes (term one has 75 students). They advertise excellent instructors (there are no instructors - 3 semesters I had nursing administration teaching me). They advertise fantastic high definition simulation lab (I am in my final semester and never once got to use it). They say our program is a clock hour program and that we must have mandatory hours in clinical (have spent weeks throughout the program on campus in a classroom no instructors). The Board of Nursing should be aware of this and close this place down.

Original review: April 15, 2014

I paid 9 thousand dollars for this dental assisting course... And I was thinking I was going to make good $$$. I am working just to pay my student loan back... ugh! Do your research... I would have done much better with regional occupational programs... Waste of money!!!

Original review: Oct. 30, 2013

I attended ACC on Rosewood Ave. in Los Angeles about a few years ago. I don't know how I got suckered in to enrolling there. I had everything about it. I felt like I was in high school all over again. Mr. ** is the most ignorant person I've come across. He would often get complaints about students and never would bring it to that student's attention. The students were all bipolar. They would often bring their problems from home and use that as a reason to run up on people and try to fight. Yet ACC allows these types of persons in only to make a quick buck. ACC obviously didn't give a damn of the well-being of others. The place is so ghetto. When I started, I kept to myself. Just so happened that the girl I started speaking to had problems with a group of girls and somehow I got thrown in to the mix. Even though I never said nothing about anyone I was constantly harassed. I complained to ACC director and nothing was ever done. The students who harassed me remained there. So I don't recommend this So Cal school to anyone. Save your money and time. This isn't a legit school. They don't have any type of credentials. They say they help you find work at the end but that's all a crock of **... so stay away from ACC.

Original review: July 23, 2013

I attended the school for the full 8 months and the whole thing was unorganized. The SRC was always closed or something was wrong with the computer systems. They always lost all of my paper work. Also the school doesn't believe in calling someone to come pick up their cap & gown or diploma. They were more concerned with the payments of the school (which I paid on time every month but for some crazy reason they said I was "late"). It took the ex-tern coordinator two weeks after I fished my classes to find me a site to go for training.

Soon after I started my externship, I received calls saying I was going to be dropped from the program because I wasn't sending in my time sheets, but in reality the coordinator wouldn't take the time out to read his email. Also after my graduation, they said that the diploma would be ready within 2 weeks. Guess who got to wait a month for it NOT to be there? Now I have to wait an additional 2 weeks for it to come in. The whole school was and is a complete WASTE OF TIME & MONEY!

Original review: May 16, 2012

I have been very dissatisfied with American Career College since almost the beginning. Let me just start by saying that just because you have worked in the medical field for many years, that does not mean that you should teach. My instructor is the worst I have encountered in my entire academic career. The instructor always inserts her personal feelings and religious views into every lesson and puts down anyone with opposing views. She has gone as far as calling another student "immoral" in front of the whole class, because she talked about living with her boyfriend. She is very disrespectful and rude and gets defensive when it is brought to her attention.

I sincerely feel that I am not where I should be at this point, so close to "graduating." Her teaching style and grading methods do not make any sense, and I honestly think that she just makes up the grades at the end of the module based on whether she likes you or not. Other students have complained about her performance and when it gets back to her, she singled them out in class and threatened the students by making statements, such as: "The last student who complained got put on academic probation," and, "No one is going to hire you." And was also stated that if we don't like how this classroom is run, then we should just move to a different class.

I am paying hard-earned money to basically teach my self. She is of no help in the lab and gets frustrated and gives the students an attitude when we ask for help. She said that we should already know what to do. She is there to instruct, which means that if we need help, she should jump through hoops to try and get us to understand the material, but instead she always replies with disdain, "I don't know. Look in your book." Her teaching methods are a joke. This school focuses on students following a dress code more than they care about their students understanding the material. It is frustrating to be paying for an education I don't feel I am receiving. I would not recommend attending ACC to anyone.

Original review: March 8, 2012

I am sorry to say that I have been hoodwinked. I was told of the importance of becoming certified in my chosen field (Surgical Technology) but in the real world, there are only two things my certification is good for: Diddly and squat. During my clinical, I was frequently threatened with expulsion as well as being hazed by my preceptors. By the time I finished my clinicals, I was an emotional basket case. Some people have no business being in the teaching profession. I have applied for many jobs and haven't received so much as a phone call. In my experience, nobody is willing to hire a recent graduate. All I heard was "how desperate the need is for healthcare workers". Don't believe the hype! Think long and hard before you commit to this school. I want to emphasize that there are many good people who work for ACC, just a few bad apples.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2011

I started the Dental Assisting Program in June of this year. Since starting, I have been very disappointed! I have a teacher by the name of Alma ** that has really been difficult to deal with. After about 2-3 Weeks, I decided to ask the students if she have a problem with ** students. At the time, I was the only one in her class, besides 1 Caucasian student and 1 Armenian student. The rest of the students are Hispanic. To my amazement, they asked me, couldn't I tell? They also told me that just before I came, Mrs. ** had a altercation with several ** students in her class! They were transferred to another class. Why wasn't I informed of this prior to being placed in her class?

She has a problem pronouncing the words that she calls herself grading us for. She doesn't get her lesson plan or materials together in a timely manner (and it shows). And she makes rules up as she goes along. She does not proof read any of her work, so there are mistakes. She jumps in student conversations. And I/we know more about her business than we should. She belittles students in class. And she has gone as far as calling my husband a "sugar daddy" in front of the class because he pays my bills. She was not made to apologize at all! And of course, an excuse was given for that.

My husband and I had a meeting with Mrs. ** and Mrs. **. I had written a letter that mapped out all of the problems and they both read it. Mrs. ** was given an opportunity to speak/give her side of the story. She was at a lost for words! We couldn't even buy a vowel out of her! She had no defense whatsoever. It seemed like after the meeting, she was doing a little better but it has declined. She is arrogant and manipulative and that is not a good mixture. I was told by both Mrs ** and Mrs. ** and I quote: " If I don't like what is going on and if I am so dissatisfied, I have the option to go to another class." It appears like instead of rectifying the situation, she gets away with whatever she chooses.

The majority of the students are young and I am a few years younger than my teacher. I know more about the law, and have previous working experiences. It seems to me that she is threatened or intimidated by that fact. Either way, I am paying for this education and I deserve the right to get a decent one. If I would have known what I know now, I would have taken this course at a regular college for a few thousand dollars. Mind you, I am a cash student! They have gotten $4000 plus from me. I pay $1000 per month and have 4 more months left. I don't know what else to do at this point. Something needs to be done immediately, because I need my education that I am paying for!

American Career College Company Information