Disclosures

Stars Rating

• 5%
  • 94%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aspire Visa?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aspire Visa?
    Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed April 28, 2024

I would avoid this credit card company like the plague. After 2 plus years of on time payments, my reward is a new 5 dollar a month account maintenance fee, supposedly for the privilege of using their horrible online services/Application. Customer service was not very personable and even less helpful. They apparently sent me an email in January informing me of this absurd and greedy maintenance fee, which I never saw, and the representative told me that had I called in to dispute the fee before February 28th, they would have closed my account. Really!?!?

This is par for the course as far as companies screwing the consumer due to the outrageous economy and inflation we can thank the greedy, rotten government for. When asked about negotiating a lower interest rate, I was immediately, flat put told NO! Not even a discussion about it. I was going to call in to speak to a manager but after reading these reviews, that sounds like it might be a waste of more time.

Seriously thinking about maxing the card out and letting it go to collections. They can write it off and sell the account to a collection agency for pennies on the dollar. I'm done with this company. It literally means nothing to me to wash my hands of them, plus I think it'll be funny if they have to hound me for payments or threaten me with collection. Unfortunately, this isn't my first rodeo. I'm betting none of these people in customer service even live in America, or they snuck in illegally. My advice...if anyone is solicited by ASPIRE, burn the letter and application and look for a better offer. Luckily, I don't need this card and 1 ding on my credit isn't going to make much of a difference at this point. I'll dispute any attempts at collections and make them earn that 5 bucks a month plus ridiculously high interest rates.

Customer ServiceSales & Marketing

Reviewed April 17, 2024

This card is a big huge fraudulent way to get your money. I was paying my account faithfully every month, the minimum amount due, This company took it upon themselves to take out the balance owed and sent my account in the negative, over three hundred and something dollars instead of taking just the monthly payment of 25 dollars. I called and complained until they put my money back. Now they keep tacking on all these extra charges. Total scam that I have reported to the BBB.

Customer ServiceSales & MarketingPunctuality & Speed

Reviewed April 6, 2024

Total scam. Added a late fee 2 weeks after the payment was made. Called, sent in proof of payment from bank and it's still showing a charge for a late fee a week after all of that. Called again and I was told it was removed, but if you do the math from the last 2 statements and the payments, it still doesn't show the correct amount. Total scam. I'll be getting rid of this card asap.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsPunctuality & SpeedOnline & AppStaff

Reviewed March 16, 2024

I will start this off by saying I do not have perfect credit but I’m definitely working towards it. I have other credit cards. I have had other low score credit cards or second chance credit cards what have you. At first Aspire seems to be legit. They work well. You make a payment before five, it immediately post your account. Everything seems to be good. But apparently they close your account whenever they want and not let you know and not only can they not let you know, if you go into your app your account will still appear to be open. This happened to me. The way I found out that my account was closed is because Credit Sesame alerted me to it, three days after the account was closed I was going in to make a payment because I have two accounts with them and then like it was kismet.

Credit Sesame alerted me to the account being closed. When I reached out to Aspire they acted like, "Oh well, it’s a part of your Agreement." So I asked him, "Well you guys have no problem calling me when you need money from me. You have no problem emailing me. You have no problem sending me pushed notifications. Why is it that none of that could be done?" apparently they sent me a letter, which at the time of writing this I still have not gotten but again going into my application.

My account still looks open, still looks usable, does not show that I have any restrictions, is not show that I cannot use the account, does not show that the account is closed to me. It is so shady and so deceptive for a company to practice in that manner. You pay off your credit card maybe let it sit a couple of days, depending upon how much you’re paying whether it’s the minimum payment or you’re fully paying it off in general, though you’ll probably want to use the funds again, imagine if I had a fully paid off the $659 because there was like a late fee added on and then went to use the card and was unable to use it without knowing why they couldn’t answer me as to why, there’s no notification in the app, they couldn’t answer me as to why I didn’t get a notification or a call or anything. They couldn’t give me any of that information.

It is so scary to deal with the company who on a whim can decide to close your account with no notification. No warning, no emails. I went through all of my emails. I went through all of my push notifications. Nothing warned me that there was an issue, that’s the other problem which means let’s say I just decided to pay off my credit card in the thought of hey paid off my credit card I’m gonna let it sit so it reports correctly and then like maybe I’ll use it to pay a bill or something like that as I do every month but imagine me doing that spending my money to kinda recycle it cause essentially credit card you just recycling money over and over again and then when you’re finally ready to close it yes you just pay it off but imagine in economy deciding I’m gonna pay my credit card bill.

I’m gonna make sure I’m doing good. Maybe I’ll use it to pay one of my regular bills as you’re supposed to use your credit card And coming to find out your account is closed. Meaning let’s say if you decide to pay off your full balance of maybe $500 you just paid $500 that you actually needed without knowing it. Now here’s a thing I’m not saying that if you have a credit card and your account is closed, you shouldn’t pay them. That’s not what I’m saying at all.

But imagine Because everyone knows how hard it is nowadays you thinking hey I’m gonna pay a bill which will still allow me to use the money because essentially what a credit card is and then come to find out all they close your account three days ago and you don’t know it and I imagine if you’re a single parent or imagine if you’re a college student or a young adult, imagine if you’re an elderly person who depends on every single dime you have, and you’re just trying to do the right thing, pay off a bill, let it report pay off another bill And then pay down the credit card balance. That’s the American way. Imagine you’re trying to do that and come to find out you can’t business practices, and when you reach out to them all they do is repeat the same thing, they offer no assistance, they offer no help. They also offer no real explanation.

They don’t even try to explain why they decide to notify you of an account closure via snail mail instead of the other various ways that they will contact you if they have any issues with your account on a regular basis. Again very shady practices. I’ve I have other credit cards. I have a Navy Federal credit card. I have a Chase credit card. I got this Aspire one as I was building up my credit but just imagine thinking you’re on the right path, doing the right thing and then they close an account with no notification and then also kills your credit score when an account closes. Imagine not knowing imagine having no say. Imagine having no warning.

Imagine not even realizing there’s an issue because there’s been no notification. Imagine not being late on the payment. Imagine literally having a payment due in three days, imagine getting an email from them saying your account is eligible. If you pay it early they’ll match your payment so you login thinking that you’re getting some kind of dealer discount and a reality you’re not. Shady business shady and they don’t care either. Extremely shady. I would run before I signed up with them.

Reviewed March 5, 2024

Besides the fact that the rate is very high, 35%, they are now charging $10/mo account maintenance fee. They just had the nerve to send me an email saying I may qualify for a credit increase on $250 BUT I would have to pay them a one time fee or $49.95 if approved. My credit has improved and all my cards have just given me an increase. I will be paying off and cancelling this card right away.

Reviewed Feb. 22, 2024

The worst company to deal with. I had missed a couple payments due to not working and they closed my account immediately. Customer Service doesn't show empathy at all. Stay away from this company and their fees.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsStaff

Reviewed Jan. 23, 2024

I had my Aspire card for 5 years and when I got it I signed up for disability insurance. Fast forward to August of 2023, I lost my job so I called for the Unemployment Disability. I was told while on disability that I couldn’t use my card which I was fine with. After 6 monthly payments they notified me that the last payment was made and now I would resume with my card as normal. I noticed that when I went to the website I show no available credit. I knew that was wrong so I called. First they tried to tell me that I didn’t accept the new terms last July so they closed my account. I never received anything or a phone call about new terms I had to accept. Then they said it was closed due to inactivity. Well there again I had to explain I wasn’t able to use the card due to disability. Then they said they did not know that the account was on hold.

I told them again that was a lie because when logging into my account it had a big red notice there that said next to the balance that I was on disability. They put me on hold for the 8th time. The guy, I assume was a Manager, then proceeds to tell me that the account was closed in error. I swear my head was about to explode. He said they could not open the account back up and the only thing I could do was apply for a new card. So in short, they screwed up and I lose my card. So say I was livid is an understatement. I said, "Why would I want another card from you after you did this." The Customer Service was awful as I had to speak to 5 different people and was told 4 different excuses to their mess up. Good Riddance and I would never tell anyone to get a card from them again.

Reviewed Jan. 16, 2024

When I first got the card there were no fees. One month a $10 service fee showed up. Then a few months later they informed me that an annual fee of $150 would be charged. Too many fees. They charge to increase credit limit.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Jan. 14, 2024

So apparently, if you make a payment that is more than half your balance, they put you in a timeout for anywhere from 4 to 6 days. Even if it's cleared your bank and you offer to prove it, they don't care. So then I'm told my available credit will be available on the 12th at midnight. Guess what? It's not. So I contact them again only to be told that it won't be available until the 14th at midnight. Then called again on the 14. Now its the 16th. Three different agents gave different dates. After I ask to speak with a supervisor, I'm told it will be available today by the end of the day. This is insane to me because every other credit card company out there can help you and make changes to your account, but not this company.

It's sad when companies like this treat people poorly. All because I have less than perfect credit and have to use their services to help build my credit back up. But because of that, they can do and say whatever they want, and it doesn't matter to them. Customer service really doesn't mean anything anymore. I was never mean or disrespectful. Not once. I was very nice and even told them thank you a few times and to have a nice day. But still, they could not help me at all. No empathy, nothing, even though it was two of their people who told me a different day. It's not my fault. Not this time. Very unhappy with this company! Hopefully, I can stop using them soon.

Customer ServicePricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Jan. 13, 2024

I reported fraudulent charges on my card and it took them over two months for anyone to take any action on my case. During this time, I have been charged late fees, interest charge that they refuse to reverse and make my credit available to me. in order for me to get my credit, they force me to make payments based off of fraudulent charges and interest. They literally held my account hostage until I make a payment that was based off of charges that would not mine.

They do not take customer service seriously at all. They brought you around like a tennis ball telling you that you need to call this department and this department telling you you need to call that department and so forth. Not been able to use my card in about three months now, because that’s how long it has taken for any action on my case for any reversal of charges for any reversal of interest, or anything of that sort. They have suspended my account, forcing me to pay for charges that are not mine.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsSales & MarketingPrice

Reviewed Jan. 12, 2024

RUN... This is a very expensive scam for money. They charge very high monthly fees for things like account maintenance fee, credit protection fee, foreign transaction fee... RUN! It is a scam. And when contacted, the reply was, "Well that is in our fine print contract." "Please remove it..." "Oh no sir that is against our policies." RUN.

Reviewed Jan. 1, 2024

I filled out a application. Was approved. Never got a card from them but I got a bill for 130.00. That's how much they charge for applying and late fees. Now it's giving me a negative on my credit report. I did not ever use any of their money and now owe them over 200. Not one penny of theirs did I use yet it's a mark against my credit. How wrong is this. Crooks.

Customer ServiceContract & Terms

Reviewed Dec. 5, 2023

Applied for the card, approved for $3500. Card and literature came. Only $1500 approved limit. Read reviews online before activating card. HELL NO!!! Horrific reviews. Card holder agreement said if I didn't activate the card, I did not agree to the terms of the card. A year later they send me a $5 email bill. Called customer service and they said don't worry about it. Hung up the phone and got an email saying my acct was closed. This will show up on my report. How do these scumbags sleep at night. STAY AWAY!!!!

Reviewed Nov. 13, 2023

I am traveling for work for 2 months. Aspire was notified. They closed my account without notice for over limit 5.00. Yes $5.00 that is very bad business. Don't use this card from bank of Missouri. Also their customer service hardly speaks English and is very rude.

Customer ServiceStaff

Reviewed Nov. 3, 2023

I made On Time payments and paying my account down to $0, then came the fees...and more fees... and more fees. As soon as I had enough of those fees, I called to speak to a representative located half a world away saying "Thank you for calling Card Services" not "Thank you for calling Aspire" with the intent purpose of closing the account back in August, 2022. BIG MISTAKE!

Just by calling to close out my account, I was assessed a $20 fee just by speaking to a representative which the representative did not mention on the call (more on that in a few). After just over a month of waiting to see the account closure reflect on my credit report, it didn't happened. So I called again (not realizing that there was a $20 fee to speak to a representative). The representative told me that the account was not closed out and that I was being assessed a monthly fee, which is now past due and now I'm responsible for a late fee. I repeatedly told the rep that I requested my account to be closed out to the point the rep disconnected the call.

I sent over complaints to the CFPB and also BBB about their practice. After a couple weeks, the CFPB reached out to me seeking additional information. I provided the Date and Time of the request to close the account and the representative's "name". The following day, a BBB comment was left by Aspire mentioning that they have "no record of my call" and that my account was turned over to collections for unpaid balance. I disputed the comment mentioning the Date and Time of the request. No further comment was provided.

While I waited to hear back from the CFPB, I received a letter in the mail from a debt collector (CKS Financial) asking for payment of $138.50. I disputed that the debt is valid by calling them. They mentioned that they will reach out to Aspire with the charges. After about 2 months (May 2023), I received a letter in the mail from CKS Financial mentioning that the debt is in fact valid with the following information verified by Aspire. $20 Representative Fee. $20 Representative Fee. $12.50 Monthly Fee. $49 Annual Fee. $37 Late Fee.

At this time, I took a look at my credit report and found that my credit score dropped close to 60 points due to this collection. I called CKS Financial mentioning that I would like to request to pay the debt out of request to have it removed off my credit report as the information that was provided by Aspire was not factual. CKS Financial mentioned that it is illegal to request removal of collections off of credit reports as I have to wait the full 7 years before it falls off. I called the 3 credit bureaus to dispute both Aspire and also CKS Financial. After just over a month and a half, Equifax removed both entries followed by Transunion and Experian. My credit score went up after both companies were removed off my reports.

Sales & MarketingPriceStaff

Reviewed Oct. 25, 2023

Don't. They're sleazy. I see I'm not the only one with this complaint. It's a bait and switch. Only reason I accepted my "pre-approved" card was because they didn't have fees. A little while with the card - always paid on time - they send me a notice that they are now charging monthly fees. And now I just got a notice that the interest rate is going up - you know, since interest rates have been going up everywhere else - not that they don't charge a ridiculous amount already. But, the new, even larger interest rate will be FIXED, so if/when rates go down again, they will keep it at the new even more ridiculous rate. I strongly advise against getting this card.

Reviewed Oct. 18, 2023

This credit card provider is not a very trustworthy. When I first got the card, it was supposed to be no fees and rewards and which I never got rewards and then after a good while, they started charging five dollars maintenance fee. And charged me twice in one month. They’re not trustworthy. I canceled my card and they’re still trying to get money.

Reviewed Sept. 27, 2023

This company is Fraud and stay away from them. I highly recommend staying away. I had fraud on my account I agreed to pay it if they remove late payments from my report. They lied and said they can’t do that. It’s fraud company. Everyone is foreign.

PricePunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Sept. 19, 2023

They closed my account after only like 3 months of having it. No warning or anything. I had a late payment but not over 30 days. After they closed my account they are still reporting on my credit report like it's still open when it's not. I still have a balance that I have to pay down. So they sent me an offer called "credit match or match pay" where they say they'll give you a % credit match to the next payment you make. THEY set up the minimum payment, not me. So I paid the minimum that they asked me to pay to get the credit match. Then I get charged a late fee. The rep states I didn't pay my "minimum payment". That is crap.

I asked why would they offer me a credit match and post it to my account if I didn't comply with the minimum payment that they were asking for me to pay. They ripped me off, they lied. They gave me two different minimum payments - just so they could charge me a late fee. I am pissed. I told them they are crooks. People are trying to work hard to get back on track and they are being dishonest!! Please stay away from this company! If they send you an offer, BURN IT! Tell everyone that you know!!! Put these people out of business, they are scammers!!!

Reviewed Aug. 24, 2023

I did not apply for anything. I get an email saying that I pre-qualified to fill out the form so I can get my credit line. I have a 725 credit. I fill out all the information. They run my credit and ding my credit and then tell me they couldn't match my name with the credit bureau yet they pulled my credit score and denied me because I don't have a credit history good enough. I did not ask for this. They are telling me I'm pre-qualified to fill it out. All they're doing is having me fill out for them so they can ding my credit and drop my score. Leave this alone.

Reviewed Aug. 9, 2023

A lot of fees and you are heavily penalized if you ever go over credit limit. I would definitely not apply for this credit card. I wish I had not. This has been the worst experience I have ever had with a credit card.

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed July 29, 2023

I have built my credit over the last few years! I have never been late on a payment. Beside their fees that came out of nowhere and the bad customer service. They closed my account because I paid off my balance every month before my statement and still had a balance of $18.50. Stay away from this company. I waited to see a civil law cause I'll be front and center.

Verified purchase

Reviewed June 21, 2023

It's not bad enough that they charge an annual fee but every month there is a $12.50 maintenance fee for a card that I never use. I called a month ago to cancel my card before the annual fee but they told me that they would waive the monthly maintenance fee for 3 or 6 months. Now in order to close this account I have to pay 62.50 before I can cancel the account. No refund for the maintenance fee. If I did close it last month like I wanted I wouldn't have been charged the annual fee. Even if you have bad credit this card is going to suck every cent that you have. DON'T DO IT!! FIND another card if you have bad credit and if they have an annual fee because of bad credit go with that one, not one that changes $12.50 monthly maintenance fee. What a rip off!! Like I said before DON'T DO IT!!

Contract & Terms

Reviewed June 12, 2023

As with many others I received the "Pre-approved" offer that actually wasn't, but got a card after the full three week process. Nice limit but apr was high and then here come the monthly user fees. All in the agreement, so no big. What really punctures my water wings is how they will randomly decline a sale for "account security reasons" with plenty of credit available. Don't count on this card for anything important. Good thing I have two Capital One cards with lower rates, one with no annual fee and rewards to keep me from getting all stabby.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed June 2, 2023

I thought something felt off and scammy about this company. It doesn't matter how much I pay off my credit card. The fees basically wipe out what was paid. Even paying well over the minimum amount. I've been late maybe once or twice and even pay the late fees. For some reason, I can't even seem to get below the $1,500 on the card. This credit card company really needs to be investigated. I will be a part of any lawsuit that this company has against them.

Staff

Reviewed May 19, 2023

Very shady company. I have yet to speak to someone without an accent. Everyone talks fast to try and confuse you. Despite making a payment to my credit card and it placing my account more positive than the credit limit, they still refuse to unblock my card for me to use. They are very annoying, and not worth the headache. Better off getting a secured card and letting these people file bankruptcy. They are awful. I can honestly say I dislike everything about this company.

Reviewed May 19, 2023

Constant run around from company. Poor communication. Poor security. After my account was hacked I closed it and was billed for a service fee. They mailed me a fraud affidavit and it only had a partial amount of the actual fraud. This is after a police report, and I believed was settled.

Reviewed May 17, 2023

In February of this year I noticed for fraudulent charges on my account. I contacted them and filled out the paperwork for the fraudulent charges I got back papers stating that I was the one that made those charges, but I did not make those charges. So I contacted the contacted the merchants of those charges and was told by them that because they were fraudulent charges the funds that were charged to my account were sent back to my account and the account from them were closed. So I contacted Aspire again to find out why the charges were still on my account and was told that the funds were not refunded to my account because it's not stated in my statements.

So I asked them if the merchant has credited my account the phones that they took in the first place because they were fraudulent who I needed to contact to find out who's lying or what's going on they gave me no answer. But did tell me that if I did not pay those that it would reflect on my account and on my credit score as an unpaid debt even though the merchant submitted the payment back to my account.

They told me that if I did not pay those fraudulent charges that they were going to close my account and it would reflect on my credit score which is not right they've already been credited back all the funds that were fraudulently charged but did not apply them to my account and can't tell me why they were not because the merchant even gave the exact date that they were credited to my account and I don't know who to contact about this but they need to be sued for this. I'm working on bettering my credit score not hindering and degrading my score this is totally unfair and something honestly needs to be done!!!

Reviewed May 15, 2023

I was late paying but I was about to pay it off. I didn't know they closed it and they also said I went over the limit on the card. These guys didn't give me a chance to pay my account off. They also keep the account open so they keep charging me over the limit.

PriceStaff

Reviewed March 31, 2023

This card is ridiculous. I haven’t used this card but my payment goes up every month. I contacted them and they gave me line of ** as to why. There should be something done to this company because of the ridiculous fees they charge and looked into as to why when a card isn't used why does the payment and balances go up! How can someone get ahead if these idiots keep taking advantage of people!

Aspire Visa Company Information