Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
1.15/5

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Aspire Visa Reviews

Original review: March 28, 2015

I had an aspire visa card 8+ years ago. Not sure what happened to my account actually because it was so long ago. I'm sure my balance was no more than $500 if that. They waited 8 years to contact me. Over those 8 years my balance is now $3,128 which what they sued me for and now wanna garnish 10% of my gross wages. Never got a chance to fight it in court. I need help fast in what I should do next since they’re gonna start garnishing my wages soon. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

Original review: Jan. 26, 2015

I received a letter in the mail from PLAINTIFF: MIDLAND FUNDING LLC ASSIGNEE OF ASPIRE VISA ACCOUNT, claiming I owe a debt of $5765.00. A "Writ of Garnishment" threatens to collect my wages. Need help fast. I have no credit cards, how is this happening? I went through this years ago with Aspire. I never signed anything in agreement with this, nor have they provided anything other than a debt for a credit I never had. I received this notice Jan 7, 2015, stating I have 30 days until garnishments begin.

I was recently just financed for a new car, late Oct 2014 and had no problem because I am a home owner. Paid off two other vehicles etc., and provided proof with Wells Fargo accepting me. My "credit score" wasn't an issue, even though I have no credit cards. Something needs to be done to stop this financial war going on behind the working man's back and ruining lives. I'm going to the Circuit Clerk's office, in hopes for assistance but will surely need lawyer(s) action. This entire situation is beyond me and many other victims also, something needs to be done quick and fast. Please help by replying to my email address.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2014

I had an aspire card around 15 years ago, it had a 500.00 credit limit. They started to charge me insane fees, so I cancelled the card. I paid off the balance and never heard anything until early last year when a law office started harassing me. Apparently aspire never registered me paying off the card, turned to account over to midland funding (whom I never heard from) and they turned over to a law office. The amount they say I owe is a bit over 2 grand, and they want that money, so out of fear of them garnishing my wages I started paying them a little bit every month. All they tell me is its aspire visa and they got the account from midland funding. They will not stop harassing me, they even started calling my work. The only way they will stop harassing me is either: I pay off the balance in full or I get proof from aspire that I paid this off. I cannot get ahold of anybody. I have no idea what I can do, and I barely scrape by and can't afford to keep paying this law office. Avoid aspire at all costs.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2013

I have read so many stories regarding the Aspire Credit Card and its Bad Reputation. I am with You All ~ I opened a Card with only a $300.00 Limit in 2006...Paid in Full. Now I am getting phone calls from Portfolio Credit demanding $3,840.00!! What!? I'm in Shock! It is on my Credit Report but showing Under Columbus Bank and Trust Co. Which I have Never Heard of...And No Idea why. Can anyone tell me if Aspire Credit Card is any way Associated with Columbus Bank and Trust? I have worked so hard over the years to get my credit rebuilt and am shamed to see what these companies can get away with!

I have NO Credit Cards! If I Did... I know I wouldn't have gotten a credit card with That High Of a Limit due to Sudden Bankruptcy I filed after my Young Husband was killed in an explosion. I am getting Nowhere with the Portfolio Recovery Services. I have reported this for Dispute on my Credit Report. No follow up yet. Does Anyone know if Columbus Bank And Trust is Affiliated with Aspire Visa?

Original review: April 6, 2013

I received a packet from Portfolio Recovery about 8 weeks ago. It said I owed $1,297.00 on an Aspire Visa I got in 2004-2005. The problem is I never had an Aspire Visa. I wrote on the letter that it was a fraudulent account. I had moved to another state a year prior to the opening of the account. Although Portfolio acknowledges my dispute, now they want me to fill out an identity theft affidavit and have it notarized and sent back to them along with all my personal information and copies of my driver’s license, social security card, copy of police report, copies of other letters I received regarding the debt, and proof of where I lived during the time of the fraud.

First of all, I am not giving them my info or any other items they want. For one thing, the account was opened and closed 8 years ago (!), not to mention the first I've heard about it was when they sent me the letter saying I owed them. They also want me to assist in prosecution of the individual(s) responsible. How in the hell am I supposed to know who the culprit was if I didn't even know about the account until 8 weeks ago! I've moved to 2 different states since 2004 and don't have proof of where I lived back then. I clean out my paperwork every year and dispose of the items that are 7 years old. Those utility bills and rent receipts have been shredded a long time ago.

My identity was stolen and my credit destroyed in 1999 when I fell prey to an online scam. I have had nothing but problems since then. I reported it at the time; however, the town where I lived did not have a computer crimes division until 2006, by which time I was already elsewhere.

Isn't this illegal? I have no verification of the account other than Portfolio's letter, which was sent back to them when I complained about the fraud. They claim they purchased the account from Midland Credit Management in 2007. If that is the case, why did I only hear about it this year? I am so tired of all the BS. This is not the only account Portfolio is trying to make me pay. 5 months ago, I was notified I was in default on a student loan in Georgia. I have never even been to Georgia, much less gone to school there!

I wish the government would put the screws to them and make them send verification of it being my account when they ask for payment. I am only now starting to rebuild my credit. I became disabled in 2003, which necessitated my move to another area. Needless to say, they will not receive a single penny from me! Just try and put me in jail.

One of the credit cards I did have at the time of the fraud was a Capital One card. I found out about the fraud when I received my bill from them and a $1,500 limit was over $3,000 in one month. I reported it to Capital one and cut up and returned my card to them requesting an itemized list of all charges, of which I would gladly pay what was actually mine. This was never done. Capital One gave me a credit card this year, and lo and behold, here comes Portfolio trying to make me pay the bill from 1999! Capital One should have completed my request then. I refuse to pay charges that are not mine, especially when I became aware of them I reported the theft. And most of all, I refuse to pay a debt that is 13 years old!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Aspire Visa?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2013

After paying off Aspire years ago, I received a letter from a collection agency stating I owe them $1,183. I am tired of this company getting away with their illegal practices of trying to collect money from consumers who paid their bills. Why doesn't the FTC put a stop to this? There have been enough complaints against them. If anyone wants a class action suit against them, I'm in.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2013

After years of being with them, I was dropped like a hot potato without any explanation. All they said to me was, "I am so sorry." This is a 10-year relationship. Now I am unemployed, I paid my full balance. First I sent in $40 by the due date, and then sent the remaining $735.54 by the following week. I got a bill, but the person I spoke to didn't care about my situation and said I still had to pay the interest charge. "I am unemployed," I said. I paid. Well, I truly do not recommend anyone to even think about taking a credit card with Aspire. They are unfair to their customers. You can hardly get a hold of anyone to talk to. Please do not trust Aspire!

Original review: Aug. 10, 2012

Aspire closed and dropped off the face of the earth. My account closed overnight. I never even received a letter or anything. I didn't know where to send payments. No customer service number, nothing. Now Midland is on my credit report as well. Aspire, I believe went bankrupt. Anyhow, I’m now fighting with the 3 credit bureaus on this. What I just learned is that, if the collection agency is not able to fully validate the debt with original contract, complete list of payments made, full explanation of interest, etc. (why balance is what it is), that legally they cannot report to the credit bureaus.

I sent a validation letter to them and never heard back. They can be fined for this. I sent a letter to all 3 credit bureaus explaining that this collection was never validated with myself when requested, that this is illegal and not liable for them to report per the FCRA or FDCPA. I have a thing for junk debt buyers. All they do is harass and try to make a buck. Most of them are overseas. In my letter, I asked for full validation and to cease and desist until that full validation is met. That is why I never heard back. So now, I’m fighting with the credit bureaus to make them understand this law.

Original review: May 16, 2012

Credit report info sent by this company - I told this company this card was stolen years ago. I never used the card. I never made purchases with this card. My wallet got stolen and it was never recovered.

Original review: April 13, 2012

My account was paid in full several years ago through a buyout. I have proven it to the collection agency at least 7 times. They called again today and wanted me to pay again! I refuse to send paperwork again, proving I have paid. It hasn't made any difference in the past. Look through your records carefully, I have paid this! You should have to prove I owe it. I should not have to prove myself again!

Aspire Visa Company Information