Find an Extended Auto Warranties partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About Protection Direct

Protection Direct offers vehicle service contracts across the nation, with special coverage options in California. The company lets you pick your own ASE-certified mechanic and provides perks like roadside assistance and rental car coverage.

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

Protection Direct Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protection Direct?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Protection Direct?

Original review: Oct. 29, 2015

I have a very close experience with this company. It is a scam. Please everyone save your money. They use extreme sales pitches and say the savings are only available for today. LIE. They say they cover all these things. LIE. They cover nothing so please just safe your money.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2015

I was sold a bill of goods by "Service Protection Direct" and I plan to cancel if I can. I purchased the "Enhanced Protector" benefit on my 2008 BMW 535i ... Exp: 10/16/2019 / at Mileage 170,696 with a $0 Deductible. At mileage 77,554 I kept having check engine codes and took it in to the dealer. The dealer found several problems and I gave him my Service Protection Direct contract number and contact info. They found that the turbocharges were causing the problem. Thank goodness they were still under Warranty and they were replaced. They found two other problems also, the rear differential seals were leaking $588.00, and an Oil filter housing was leaking $1108. Service Protection Direct said that they didn't cover those problems. A $2180.46 Bump in the road.

The next problem I had was not covered either but that was mostly normal services done oil, filter. The cooling system needed a flush and re-fill. Not covered! Front Brakes Pads, Rotors & a bad Pad sensor $874.85 Not covered! At mileage 84,123 the driver side front window went down but wouldn't go up. I took it to a local Euro-repair shop and he said the window regulator was bad. They also found a problem with the window channel bracket. Again I gave them my Service Protection Direct contract number and contact info.

Again Service Protection Direct said that they didn't cover that problem. Another $904 Bump in the road. They repaired the Window channel and replaced the window regulator. The Service Protection Direct website says they cover "Power Windows - $850.00". I guess that must be some another power window that I don't have... So what I thought was a good deal for my ageing BMW is looking like a big bump in my Wallet and absolutely no Peace of mind.

Original review: July 24, 2015

We purchased an extended warranty on a Jeep Grand Cherokee. We made 3 official claims, ones that were listed in the booklet and 2 were flat out denied to the Jeep dealership, and 1 they paid $300 of a $1000 repair. We had called to cancel shortly after that due to the many hours of frustration in trying to make our claims. I spoke to one of their "slick willies" or customer retention experts who convinced me to stay and give them another chance. We had another issue with the jeep and again, denied. I called to inform them we were going to cancel and would be requesting a refund. They told me that they would not tell me how much the refund would be until they got the cancellation papers in the mail and it would take 6 weeks. They said there was a matrix that they used based on mileage, time from origination etc but could not give me said matrix so I could figure out what we would receive as a refund.

I called 2 months later to follow up as I had not heard from them and long story short, they claim there was no refund due. I calculated they should owe about $750 from what little information they would give me. But even after paying almost 3000 for the warranty they did not even have the decency to follow up and let us know they were not offering a refund. For what we paid, we could have paid our repairs ourselves. I fully believe in having insurance on pretty much everything I own, but I TRULY believe this company is a hoax and highly recommend NOT to use this particular company.

Original review: July 18, 2015

I was offered a warranty on my truck with 150,000 miles on it. The warranty allowed me to drive with confidence to 250,000. I commute and really put on miles fast. When I had a problem my mechanic called the company and they wired him money without delay for the repairs. I was very pleased with their service. I only used $2,000 in repairs for a $3,000 warranty but the extra miles I was able to confidently drive was well worth it. I don't gave an order number as it has been 3 years since I had the service.

Original review: June 11, 2015

I purchased a Warranty in January of 2012 for my used 1998 Buick Regal at a premium price to ensure I would be covered for costly repairs that could occur with my vehicle. My car had 96,103 miles on it when I purchased the warranty. I was careful to review the terms, coverages and disclosures on my contract. Yet at every turn with any and every repair, the company has continued to give me the runaround and deny claims that were clearly listed as being "covered." They have paid some claims, but none without complete hassle of multiple calls and getting the runaround.

My coverage was suppose to be valid through 03/12/2017 & of 172,103 MILES. Yet here I am, once again getting denied to replace my motor at approx 120,000 miles. The repair on my vehicle was held up due to the warranty company needing to come out and see the torn down engine. Then after their continued behaviors from the past, they deny the claim by way of the adjuster stating the failure of the engine was due to it being run without any oil, which is a complete ruse. My car was looked at by 3 different mechanics at three different shops and they all said that was a complete lie and just another scam to deny coverage.

Here I am in a position that I have to not only pay every dime out of pocket for all the repairs, but I have to consuming more time, effort and expense in moving forward with forcing the company to honor the warranty that was paid for in full and in good faith of the contract being honored. They have not provided me with anything in writing as to the denial of my claim, and they constantly give me and anyone who calls with a claim nothing but rhetoric and run around tactics.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2015

Not sure about the company as nothing was written on the mail I got as urgent. Called them to understand what this is and later got the coverage plan details.

Just asked about the company name so I can read reviews and get back but the supervisor says I have 16mins before I can give you this offer to cover vehicle so be on call and come back so can run the payment. After reading reviews i feel the same, they force to buy the coverage but wont cover. Still how such companies run in reality?

Original review: Feb. 13, 2014

Purchased their Enhanced Protection Warranty 4 1/2 years ago. They ultimately covered all repairs submitted, but not without having to go up the chain to get approvals after initially denying claims. Then at the end of the term the rep offered to renew, but when the policy arrived, it turned out to be far less coverage for $750 more than the original policy. Was a disappointment to experience a blatant bait & switch tactic. I'm an attorney and carefully read through the Description of Coverage, a more trusting individual would have been sucked in unaware by this approach.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2014

After reviewing the extended warranty that I was to purchase via Consumer Affairs and Better Business Bureau, I called back within 30 minutes to cancel their service warranty protection due to the negativity on these sites. Total was roughly over $3,000.00, payment of $150.00 down and 24 month of $119.00. I asked for the customer service department and was given back to the sales person. Who said that Protection Direct is a call center and of course they would have a negative review. He then gave me the name of Marathon Administrative of which I looked up and they too had a negative reports. I demanded my money to be credited back on to my card. I was then told they were going to credit it back because I was broke and a handful of other insults of which at one point they took and kept the line open and I could hear them. I then called my credit card company and CANCELED my card after finding out they could run it later on... These people are as sweet as pie until you want to cancel and then its a whole new adventure... I am so glad I CANCELED!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2014

My husband recently purchased a car a month ago and then was called to go out to sea because he is Navy. In his being gone he started getting VEHICLE ALERT NOTICES (4) from this company, and it seemed important. So I gave them a call before the due date letting them know he will be back two days after the due date since I don't know Much about the car except that he loves it. They then tried to get me to buy the warranty they offered transferring me back and forth between two individuals (good cop, bad cop) tells me why I should purchase it. They went from saying a 495 down payment to 325 to 195. Really? I told the guy I didn't want to be the one making that choice considering I don't know what he already had on the car or if he was covered by someone else.

Why spend more money on something he already has? The guy started to get loud, rude and very upset with me and said why wouldn't I want to cover my boyfriend's car. I undle.ed him he was my husband and that I just explained to him. He was more upset saying WHAT'S THE PROBLEM THEN, IS IT THE COST? WOULDN'T YOU WANT HIM TO COVER YOUR CAR FOR YOU. I tried keeping calm to tell him he was crossing the line and I said no thanks and goodbye. He went on to say A GOOD WIFE WOULD BUY THE WARRANTY as if he was demeaning me as wife.

I continued to say no thanks and he got so upset he told me very rudely and loudly MA’AM JUST HAVE A GOOD DAY and hung up in my face. That's fine with me now that I see other reviews on their scam. Glad he got rude because if he had of waited until a couple days from now I would have never read the reviews. And knowing how much my husband loves his car we would have purchased it.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2014

I purchased a car with over 100K miles. 4 months later, I kept receiving marketing from this company once a week and phone calls once every 2 weeks. I kept throwing them away, until finally I thought maybe I'll need this car warranty. Even after purchasing the warranty, someone from the company kept calling to get me to sign up. I had to keep telling them that I already purchased it. BIG mistake! 2 months later, I had problems. Called the claims department, told them what was wrong and he told me where to take it and that the repair place needed to call them before any repairs were done. ALL REPAIRS WERE DENIED! Over $1100 worth of repairs. The guy should have told me this before I paid someone $100 to do a ton of diagnostics on the car?

Now I'm out that money and I will have to pay for the repairs myself. Of course when I called to cancel, I was put on hold for over 15 minutes. I called back later and they finally let me cancel after trying to talk me into keeping it. THEN 2 hours later, I got a call from the company making it seem like it was my fault that nothing was covered. Then he told me the repairs should be covered. Then told me to pay for the repairs myself and the company would reimburse me. There was no way that was going to happen. They denied my claims the first time from the dealership. How do I know they wouldn't do the same thing after the fact? This company can't make up their mind what they're doing. Never again will I be so naive.

Protection Direct Company Information