2. Travel

Ramada Plaza Resorts

Ramada Plaza Resort
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.29/5

Ramada Plaza Resort Reviews

Original review: Nov. 5, 2014

Marco Polo Beach Resort Ramada - We had a horrible experience at this resort. My brother stayed a year prior and told me to make sure I reserve a remodeled room. I called to reserve a "remodeled" ocean room months prior and was told by "Lady" it was confirmed. I called week prior and again was reassured of this. The night we checked in we were placed in old room with dirty stained carpets, chipped furniture and tile. It was bad. Then my husband called desk and was told no other rooms were available. Then I called and was told only one was opened and we could be moved to this one...OK well this was on the 1st floor and was down a strange hall that had bolt locks on the doors and the room was shady. It was not better. Granted maybe it was "remodeled" because they removed the carpet and had tile in its place. However the room had a foul odor, chipped furniture and was very outdated...Very disappointed. So when we checked out 6 hours later, I cancelled the remaining 2 nights of my reservation and spoke with manager. He apologized and refunded me $12.51 resort fee... really that's all. I should have been credited the whole amount! Bad service! Dirty place and would not recommend!

Original review: Sept. 4, 2014

I purchased a voucher from a marketing company to stay in the Ramada Plaza hotel Atlanta Capital for 4 nights for $378 and it included free parking. I was to use it by May 31st. Once I realized I was not going to be able to make it by then, I asked a manager (**) at this hotel for either a refund or an extension. He was kind enough to allow me to choose either way. I NOW WISH I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN MY MONEY BACK AT THAT POINT. I took the choice of using the vouchers in August. As the day was approaching, I learned that the hotel was a few blocks from the projects and I read some disturbing reviews.

I wrote the ** back and told him of my concerns and asked for a refund. He refused my money back this time. Since I had no choice, I went ahead and stayed at this hotel. The lobby was very nicely decorated and inviting. My room was nicely decorated and inviting as well. It was very clean and had plenty of room. Except for the dirty chair and a spot on the bed skirt that looks like bodily fluid or vomit. It was one of the cleanest rooms that I have ever stayed in and the view was terrific. The whole entire staff was very friendly.

Cons: If you want to use your computer anywhere downstairs, make sure that the battery is completely charged because there is nowhere to plug it in at. There were 3 hallways with 3 to 4 bistro tables in each hallway. Only 2 of those table were near a plug. The lobby had one but it was several feet from the sitting area so if you want to sit on any of the sofas and work on your computer, either have it fully charged or bring an extension cord. I thought for sure there would be one in the restaurant near a table for me to use. But, there wasn't. I was hoping to work on my computer while I ate breakfast but that was not an option.

Tanya was my waitress each morning. She was fabulous. She always made sure that I was doing ok. She was very efficient and gave 100% to her job. I loved her energy and her smile.

One morning I left my room at 7 am. I left in a rush so I didn't have time to pick up my room that morning for housekeeping. I decided to have them come later after I returned. It was almost 2.30 when I got back. I went to the front desk and asked them if it was too late to have my room cleaned. She told me that she will have someone to clean it for me shortly. As I got on the elevator, I heard over a housekeepers radio that room #1007 wanted her room cleaned. I heard that same housekeeper (**) say with an attitude and out loud where everyone in the elevator could hear her that if 1007 wanted their room cleaned then they shouldn't have the "do not disturb sign" hanging on the door. When Kimyetta showed up, she had a smile on her face and had a wonderful attitude. The room looked great afterwards.

Another morning as I was waiting for the elevator to come up, I noticed a gentleman from housekeeping talking on the phone while wearing earplugs. Because he was vacuuming, he had to yell into the phone where the other person could hear him. He was clearly upset about something because I could hear him complaining and fussing about something to the person on the other end of the phone.

Each day as I entered in the hotel from either the side or the back, I got to see the same dirt in the same spots in the entrance way and in the elevator. The morning that I was supposed to check out, I asked for a 7.30 wake-up call. They called me at 6.50 am. Once I learned what time it was, I called back down to ask for a 7.30 wake up call. I lay back down. They never called me back to wake me so by the time I did wake back up, it was just a few minutes before 8.00 am. I was almost late for my 9.00 am appt. that I had to attend to downtown and I had to eat breakfast on the way.

The morning that I had to check out, I noticed that the hotel charged me for my nights at the hotel and also for parking. When I went to the front desk to let them know that I already paid with vouchers, they asked me to print them off again so they may take care of the charges. When I went to their computer room to print them off, the printer wouldn't work. I spent 15 minutes trying to get these vouchers printed off. Once I informed the front desk that the printer wasn't working, she stated that she knew and I would have to use the printer behind the desk.

When ** came out, I explained that I already paid for the room and parking. He explained to me that he charged me additional funds for the room on top of what I already paid. I NEVER AGREED TO THAT. He didn't explain why. I was so furious that I just wanted to leave. When I asked the lady behind the front desk if she could refresh my key so I could get the rest of my property out of my room, she refused. I asked her 4 times. Once I asked her if she was holding my property hostage, she finally gave me a key. I ended up paying $983.00 for 4 nights in a 3 star hotel. A 2 star would have been a lot better than this hotel. I GOT SCAMMED!

Original review: June 8, 2013

The bad reviews on TripAdvisor: Keywords: bed bugs, mold, scam, etc. I wanted a room upgrade and not stay at this hotel. I was lied to over and over again about my room upgrade to a different hotel through the Caribbean Cruise Line (who own everything involved, by the way. Google "Circle of Doom Dan Lambert"). The room upgrade was non-existent. I filed complaints at the Attorney General's Office. Dig deep enough. You will not want to stay here.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2013

Our daughter & her family gave my husband & I an Ontario Getaway package as one of our Christmas gifts this year. This worked out really nicely for us, since they would also be taking advantage of this offer to get away themselves. How nice to be able to spend quality time with them and nobody will be cooking or making beds! They booked us adjoining rooms for Friday, January 25, 2013, at the Ramada Plaza Hotel located at 7389 Lundy's Lane in Niagara Falls, Ontario.

We checked into rooms 418 & 420 at the hotel and all seemed to be in order. I did notice that the toilet in our room seemed a bit "sluggish" when flushed, but I thought that must just be the way these toilets worked. This was not the case. The toilet in our bathroom decided to quit flushing altogether late that night. Lovely! Because it was quite late, I left off calling the front desk until approximately 7:20 a.m. the next morning. The woman who answered my call said that housekeeping was not in until 8:00 a.m. and she would let them know. Fortunately, our daughter's room adjoined ours and we were able to use her facilities because housekeeping never did show up. We checked out at approximately 10:30 a.m. leaving a toilet full of unflushable waste & still no sign of housekeeping or maintenance or anyone. Yuk!

When our son-in-law told them of this at the front desk, he was told that the manager was not in and would not be in until Monday. So, is the manager Housekeeping or perhaps Maintenance? Does he come with a plunger & a bottle of Draino? What on earth was that comment supposed to mean? Surely there must have been someone on staff who could have dealt with our dilemma. We are not unreasonable people. We realize crap happens but, once again, surely somewhere in that hotel there was a staff member who at the very least could have come to our room to see what the trouble was.

It has always amazed me that there never seems to be a manager on duty on the weekend in a hotel. I would guess that this must certainly be their very busiest time, and I would think that there should be a member of the staff available to deal with any "issues" that arise. We did not want to make a big fuss or should I say stink about things since as I said before, our stay here was a Christmas gift.

There were a number of other small but annoying issues. The safety latch on our door was broken & non-functional. The wall thermostat in our room did not seem to work properly. We could not set a desired temperature.We had to keep turning the unit off or on to regulate the temperature ... rather inconvenient. The shower curtain smelled like urine & although it looked clean was obviously in need of a trip to the laundry. Upon reflection, maybe the guests before us used the tub as their urinal if the toilet was not flushing properly for them during their stay?

In summary, aside from the obvious inconvenience & the grossness of the toilet thing, it was the lack of response to these things that is the most troubling. Was housekeeping ever notified? Or were they, like the manager, "not in until Monday?" Unfortunately, we did not get the name of the woman on the front desk that took my call & spoke to our son-in-law at check out.

It is not expecting too much from any hotel/motel to have a working flushable toilet. For years, the Ramada chain was recognized as being a cut above. In a customer comfort based hospitality industry, they really should be looking after at least our most basic needs. Granted a flat screen TV is nice but when given the choice between that & a working toilet, we'll choose a working toilet every time! In closing, let me say that overall, the hotel was okay but the level of customer service was kind of "crappy."

Original review: Aug. 27, 2012

In July 1999, we applied for a trip through Ramada Plaza Resorts, Orlando/Ft. Lauderdale Vacations, and paid down $598.00. Unfortunately, due to illness, we had to cancel our trip and requested a refund. As of today, 13 years later, we still have never received our refund. We have written numerous of letters as well as phone calls, but with no satisfaction. This company is a big ripoff and should be made by the government to refund everyone's money that was trusted to them for a vacation.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ramada?

Original review: Aug. 27, 2012

On July 13th, I was bitten several times and woke up to swollen arm, leg, and back neck. I was so swollen I had to go to the ER at Cleveland Clinic Florida. When returned to the hotel and showed the management, our room was changed that night; my husband was bitten and we checked out the next morning. I have been sending emails since and just given one name after another. Finally, Karen ** answered that they checked one room and there were no bed bugs. After telling her to check again, she came back to say yes they have bed bugs, to send the medical bill and it will be taken care of.

I feel we need to be compensated for more than medical bills. We have permanent scars from the bites and it ruined the second part of our vacation (our cruise on the Bahamas Celebration and stay in Freeport). We could not enjoy it for trying to take care of the bites and deal with the pain. My bites were so swollen I could not make a fist with my hand due to the swelling. The public needs to know about such hazards.

Original review: May 15, 2012

Ramada Plaza Resort Vacations - I received a solicitation in 2000 from RPRV, offering a 6-day Bahama Cruise, a Las Vegas weekend, a Ft. Lauderdale weekend, and a Puerto Vallarta 5-day vacation. I paid $698 for the package. RPRV said it was a 2-person package. The literature they sent to me indicated that rooms, rental cars and taxi costs were included. I extended the vacation package over the next 12 years, as I had spinal surgery and could not travel for several years. I intended to finally take the vacations, and discovered all of these complaints. I have lost $1,400 to RPRV, and I desperately need to have the money refunded. I am retired, and live on a very limited income.

Original review: March 3, 2012

In 2005, I received an invitation for a luxury vacation 4 days and 3 nights in Florida with a cruise to the Bahamas for 2 days and 2 nights. Unfortunately, I bought into the scam and gave them my card number for the first $738.00. When I went to use it they wanted another $698 of which I did have. They indicated they would hold the offer open for a year. Not to worry--wrong. When I tried to use it no one knew what I was talking about and stated they couldn't help me unless I wanted to pay another $150.00 to use it. At that point, I was angry and realized I was getting no where and they would not refund my money. By the way, they refused to refund or credit my card back in 2005 two days after I made the payment. Long story short, I put it behind me and then saw this article about these scams and read the frustration I had experienced. They should be forced to refund all the funds and fees they charged me and these other people. Thanks for letting me vent, if nothing else!

Original review: Feb. 17, 2012

I am being told that my vacation was expired as of 1.09.12. My original reservation was **, and had subsequent numbers after that, because I kept paying for extensions. I was told the last extension I had, was until the end of 2012, and now they say it's too bad, and I need to purchase a new package. I paid $898 plus fees, and never went on one of the vacations, and was just looking to do that. Now, no one will help me, and I have contacted their compliance department, but still have note received their response. I was hung up on, and treated rudely, and at this point, I want my money back or at least the vacation. I have read about that, it seems like a nightmare.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2011

We booked a suite for a family get together on the weekend, on October 28 and 29, 2011. Unfortunately, my wife and her sister-in-law were both unable to travel due to documented medical reasons. Three days before the reservation, we spoke to the hotel. They informed us that they would not refund the money nor credit it toward future stays. We were billed for $788 on Oct 31st. Ramada's corporate website states that by not cancelling or showing up, you will be billed for the first night only. This was not the case and Ramada has been very difficult to deal with.

Ramada Plaza Resort Company Information