3.8/5 (186 ratings)

About Invisible Fence

Invisible Fence Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Invisible Fence?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Invisible Fence?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2022

We just moved into a new house that already had the wires for Invisible Fence installed. So obviously we chose to go with them. We spent 3000 for their new smart system with the app. At first, the collars worked fine but the app was literally useless. No notifications except low batteries. It was an extra 1k for the smart system... Called and they couldn't have anyone out for over 3 weeks!!! Tech came and installed a firmware update (I should be able to do this simply through the app) and all seemed good from there. A few weeks later one of our dogs set a collar off and after that the collar stopped working and constantly just says the dog is outside the fence.

Called and they said it would be a little over a MONTH for someone to come out and fix it. A MONTH??!! They are obviously understaffed or spending time on new installs rather than taking care of existing customers. I was told a supervisor would call me back about sending a new replacement collar the next day. That was a week ago. I'll call tomorrow in order to try to get a new collar. So far though we are NOT feeling this was money well spent at all and are seriously debating demanding our money back and getting rid of it and going with a different company. They have a lot of issues they need to fix which are mainly responsiveness (hire more techs) and their app which seems very buggy.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2022

Do not trust that these service folks know how to bury the wire. Mine came up less than a year after they buried it. I have no erosion in my yard. There is no way they buried it even an inch into the ground. They wanted to charge me to come out and bury it again. I will never buy anything from these thieves again.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 24, 2022

Corporate Invisible Fence decided to combine the Central Ohio offices. For some reason we no office open in this area after they made that decision. The east office was about 20 minutes away. I now have to drive 1 hour each way to the next nearest office to have the collar settings changed. You can have someone sent to the office however they are a month out. I contacted the corporate office and they felt this was all acceptable.

Original review: May 9, 2022

I owned an invisible fence when we lived in Knoxville, TN. From time to time, as with any electrical appliance, it would go out. The services we had there were phenomenal about responding to our needs and helping us resolve any issues that we had. So I expected the same when I installed an invisible fence in Chattanooga/Signal Mountain TN. They were very prompt in installing the fence, and overall I did not have any issues until very recently. Then I experienced my dogs traversing the fence. I realized it was not working and called for assistance.

This was May 02. They told me the soonest someone could help was on the 14th - 12 days away. They also stated that the dogs should always be leashed in the backyard or on a "dog line" anyway. This was a statement that was absurd to me. Why would I purchase a fence and then proceed to place my dogs on line? Not only that but it seemed that they were much more interested in installing new fences than in assisting current customers. I asked if someone could tell me where my panel was and then I could at least attempt to reset the fence myself. And no one knew where it was located. The only answer I could get from them was to call back every day to see if someone could come by and help me.

I have 3 tiny dachshunds who are very quick to figure out ways out of my metal fenced and invisible fenced yard. I could never find the panel and had to reset through the fuse box in the house eventually. They never even suggested trying this method. So if you are having trouble, please know this is one way you can reset your fence. When I called back to cancel the appointment, they still could have cared less. I would recommend the company in Knoxville anytime, but not the one in Chattanooga or Signal Mountain unless you are prepared to manage the fence on your own after you have installed it. They are only interested in obtaining your money.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2021

Installed Invisible Fence dog door. Paid $800.00 plus for this door. Not including installation. Light and cold air comes in all around the door. The plastic tabs to close the door are not strong at all. Very cheap design and poor quality! Very disappointed in this product. Not worth $800.00 or even $100.00.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2021

We obtained the Invisible Fence almost four years ago, and in that time, we've been pleased. However, in the last few weeks, the customer service has gone downhill. The representatives are friendly and nice enough, but a complete 180 from a year prior. In 2020, we rescued a new pup after my other one passed away. IF came out within a few weeks, laid the flags, and trained her on the new system (5 minutes) and then came back a week later to turn the shock on (again, 5 minutes).

I paid around $160 bucks or so (including the collar, but we had the receiver). They even came out two more times to adjust her receiver at no charge. Fast forward to this year (2021), new pup, called to get him trained on the receiver. Was told it was around $375. I asked how was it so much when just a year prior with the same circumstances, it was half that cost. She then tells me there is a one-time training that they can do for $160 but any adjustments after, we'd have to drive down to the office to have done. AGAIN...why, a year prior, did we have two trainings and two additional adjustments at my home, for the same price? She couldn't answer that.

On top of that, we already have an appointment scheduled to have our line repaired from a Verizon mishap. I asked if we could combine the appointments, and she said no because there wasn't enough time. I asked how that was, when the last training session took 5 minutes? She couldn't answer me. It's clear they just want the additional service fee money because the logic in their explanations is severely flawed. Like some other reviewers, I really wish we had just built a fence. This is a money-hungry company and they don't give a crap about you or your dogs.

Original review: July 19, 2021

Beware. The company charges $105 dollars to drive out to your house to fix the problem. Then you can pay for labor and materials. After paying for installation and the batteries, every three months, which aren't inexpensive I feel like this is just money gouging on their part. You are stuck having them come out to fix the problem so you have to pay this driving fee. I wish I had put in a true fence. If I move again I will not do an Invisible Fence.

Original review: April 8, 2021

When I say it "Doesn't work", what I mean is that it usually works. We have followed all the instructions offered to us by the company, but every 2-4 weeks, one of my dogs decides that it's no big deal and they just walk past it. Several times I've walked around the neighborhood yelling my dog's name trying to get them to come back. It's only a matter of time before one of them gets struck by a car, gets stolen, or just never comes back. I'm into this setup for over 4000 USD now and still chasing my dogs around the neighborhood. So it works most of the time. Which is to say, it doesn't work.

Original review: March 1, 2021

I have had a terrible experience with this company. Our golden has had prior experience with underground fences and is easily trained. We recently moved and tried the official Invisible Fence. Initial training was poor and frightened her and she wouldn’t go past 5 ft of the house for months. When she finally did, shortly after a year, the collar stopped working and our pup would wander away without correction. We called for assistance and were told we would need a $90 service fee despite the significant expense it took to install. They continued to tell us about their lifetime warranty yet wouldn’t come assist without additional payment. I accidentally called a competitor first for assistance and they agreed to send a rep out immediately. Once I realized it was actually the invisible fence and called them instead - crickets.. My wife and I take turns standing outside in negative degree Midwest weather. Do yourself a favor, stay away from this brand..

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

I paid for a fence. Took a long trip to the office for my second dog. They didn't like it because I couldn't give them 400+ dollars to let them train him. I trained him myself. They wouldn't turn the fence up high enough so he couldn't escape without me giving them 140+ dollars more. Lady said it was their protocol. I didn't have the extra money with this being the pandemic and work hours short etc. I just feel like they really didn't care and greed was in front of them caring.

My dog (and he is a little dog) escaped the fence twice. All I asked them to do was turn his collar up a level or two. I know my dog, had him since he was 6 wks old. He is now 1 1/2 yrs. and very intelligent. She just kept giving me excuses as to why she couldn't turn his collar up without a trainer training him again which would cost me a lot more money after purchasing a fence (which was expensive enough) from them. I felt their service was very poorly handled when it comes to customer/client care and concerns for my pet. I highly would not recommend this company!

Invisible Fence author review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

Invisible Fence makes containment and training products for dogs and cats. It has worked with consumers to keep more than 3 million pets safely in their yards. The systems are available in seven countries through 289 dealers. The company was founded in 1973 and became a part of Radio Systems Corporation in 2006.

• Options: Invisible Fence offers in-ground fences, indoor and outdoor wireless barriers and collar-activated dog doors.

• Single collar: Invisible Fence’s products are all compatible with one another. You can set up multiple containment areas that all work with a single collar.

• Free consultation: Invisible Fence offers free consultations, so a professional can assess exactly which products you’ll need. You’ll be given pricing during your no-obligation consultation.

• Professional installation: Professionals install all Invisible Fence Systems, eliminating the need to worry about whether you set things up correctly yourself. The installation is included in the overall price.

• Professional training: After professionals install your Invisible Fence, certified trainers will get to know your pet and work with him. During the process, your pet will learn which areas are out-of-bounds.

by Jami Barnett, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

Invisible Fence Company Information