4.15/5
  • 1 star
Based on 27 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Invisible Fence

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 25, 2017

27 Invisible Fence Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Invisible Fence is a high quality company and very easy to do business with. They will walk you through the entire process of how your fence will operate, be installed, and offer training and tips to familiarize your pet with his new boundaries. The service that I received was professional, the installation was done neatly and did not tear up my lawn, they did a fine job. Installing the fence was easy for me due to the fact that I called a professional to do the work that is subcontracted through Invisible Fence. Would recommend highly.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2017

I love how the price isn't outrageous. You get everything that you need to install it. I was a little worried while shopping for a electric fence because I didn't know what it would take, how long it would take, how hard it would be, but it was easy for me and my husband to install. It took me and my husband no time at all to get it up and running. It works well with keeping my dogs in the yard! It works perfectly for us and our family, too.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 22, 2017

I like that Invisible Fence protects my dogs from running into the street, which they would inevitably do no matter how well trained because sometimes they get over-excited and forget. They know now not to even approach the street because they know the Invisible Fence is there. However, I worry it will hurt my dog, and while it is good they are afraid of the street I feel bad that they're a little afraid of the perimeter because of the shock. Nevertheless, it's effective at keeping our dogs from leaving our yard without us because they know the fence is there if they try to leave and will get an uncomfortable shock. They were easily trained to avoid the shock and thus running away out of the yard. At this point we don't even worry about our dogs going out.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

The fence was very well designed because the dog did not ever break the barrier and was trained well to stay within the boundary. The installation was very easy and the product was very easy to implement and use. The dog cannot see the fence, only feel the effects of crossing over the boundary.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

I like that my dog is free to roam the yard as they please and is not tethered to a stake in the ground. I also feel safe knowing they won't run out into the street. It was very easy to set up. It is highly effective for anyone that uses it. I would recommend this to anyone who wants their pet to have total freedom, while still being safe.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Invisible Fence?

Original review: Oct. 19, 2017

I really liked the Invisible Fence. It has a wide variety of features that make it easy for me to keep my pup safe. Most importantly I would have to say was that it was very easy to install. The setup instruction were a little confusing to grasp at first. However, as soon as I figured it out it only took me a few hours to get it all set up. I was able to do it all on my own. No heavy lifting or stress involved. Was able to get it done within the matter of a day so I could let my dog out without worry. It is definitely effective. I have been using it for several months now without any trouble.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I like how reliable it is and it was very affordable. The ease of use was so nice for your average dog owner. It was so nice to just walk our dogs around the fenced area to let them know where they can and cannot go and they understood very quickly the shock was not harmful and I loved that the level could be adjusted to higher or lower levels of shocks and easy to install. There were times when the fence would not work but our dogs got so used to the fence and collar it did not matter much to my dogs. I would like it if more than one collar came with a fence and it did not cost so much to buy another one that would make it a lot more convenient for those who have multiple dogs and if you could find replacement batteries at more stores that would be very helpful to your average customer. Other than that, I loved the fence and it worked great for our family dogs. I would definitely recommend this to other fellow dog owners.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

The best feature I like is that there are no physical fences/barriers that can be seen and the system seems to work very well, and it's easy to use. Installing the fence didn't take as long as I thought, it was neat and clean looking and the sales rep showed me how it works and how to maintain it. The only feature I really don't like is the shock collar, if the dog get too close to the invisible fence then I can hear her.

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I like the feature that keeps my dog safe and in my yard away from predators and potential traffic. While giving me the peace of mind that my dog will be waiting for me when I get home. I would like to widen the range a little bit, I've got a big yard and would like for the dog to be able to run around a little bit more than he is currently able to. It was very easy to install and to use. I would highly recommend this product to anyone that has a dog that likes to run around and potentially get into trouble.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I like everything about my invisible fence. I had the invisible fence installed in my yard by the company and it was very easy and quick to install. They didn't have any problems installing the fence and they did it within one working day so that was efficient. I'm very satisfied with the features and the benefits. I like that it is a invisible barrier that keeps my dog contained so it isn't running wild and I don't have to worry about where it is, if it is biting someone, or if it is lost and get back home. Overall it gives me a huge peace of mind.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

I like that it's safe, effective and from a trusted brand. I know many others who also have an Invisible Fence for their dogs and they love it, which made me decide to get one for my dogs. I have never had a problem with the dogs getting out of the years with it. I think it's a good product as is so I wouldn't change anything about the Invisible Fence. I like how you can customize what area you want your dogs to have access to and there's not one standard length--it just depends on how large of an area you would like it to cover.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

It was effective. Install was easy and the training for the dogs was easy. It worked well and kept the dogs inside the yard. They were happy. My two dogs enjoyed freedom while being very safe. We liked it and would recommend the fence. The technician was good and knew what to do. But a better battery is needed. Maybe one that is rechargeable. Better indication that the battery is low. Maybe a wifi connection with battery low message would be helpful. My dogs got out once because of a dead battery. It is an issue that may have been addressed since we had the system. We moved to a new house and no longer use the system.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2017

The electric fence was very easy to install yourself. We installed it in one day. It is very easy to maintain, and the collars are comfortable on the dogs. I would like to see the company of Invisible Fence, find a battery to use in the device that lasts longer put on the collar. The batteries for the fence are more expensive and when you have multiple dogs like I do, it can add up in price because the price range is higher. I understand if the battery was stronger and lasted longer then the price would be higher, but we wouldn't have to buy the batteries so much so it would be a lot easier financially.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

At first, I loved the fence. It was very simple to use. It is effective. We have a two hundred lb Rottweiler, and after a while, he would run right through it. It only lasted a few years. It shorted out in the line and we couldn't find where it was broken. It was great for our smaller dog! I would recommend for smaller dogs but not very big dogs, especially ones that are strong-willed. It needs to be made more durable and a little stronger for big dogs. We had no problems with our Cocker Spaniel. It was a pain to install yourself in a big yard. I would personally get a professional to install if I did it again. It has been so long since we had it, that I am sure they have improved it!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

We like the ability to add extra collars for new dogs. It's much easier than using a physical fence and gate for the property when it comes to us being able to leave in our vehicles without having to worry about a gate being closed. However, the collar piece didn't hold up well. Our dogs are very active and playful. They have broken the collars a few times but at least it was easy to replace them. It seemed easy for my husband and sons. They had it done in a weekend which was great for us. The instructions were easy to follow and simple to use.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

It's stupid. Don't work. Poor dog can't play. Sad. He is a big dog. We have watch him and everything. The dog got out. Still does. Waste money. We won't do this again. We had someone set it up. They don't know what they doing. The dog didn't get shocked at all. Who knows how many people got ripped off like this. Now hope to find something that works soon.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I like the range of area it covers, the fact that it keeps my dog from getting out of areas where she shouldn't be roaming including in the street and other people's yards. I also like the fact that once she learns her boundaries I can take the collar off and trust that she will stay within those boundaries by memory. I would like it to have other humane features, be a bit cheaper and not have to buy extra parts and pieces. I think that a big Improvement would be to add a vibration mode and or a sound mode instead of just an electric shock. It's also hard and time-consuming to install. I had to have somebody else help me install it. It took me a couple times to get it right and finally I got the fence up successfully after about 10 hours of work. But it's easy to use.

Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I liked the fact that it was a fence that kept my dog in the yard but there wasn't actually a fence there. My dogs love running to people when they walk past and my 80 and 50 lb dog can be a little scary running full speed. So this way I could leave them in the yard and not worry about them. However, my biggest problem is the actual base of this fence has to be in the center of everything and if you have a longer house than wide it makes it very difficult to set up the perimeter of the fence. But I think it is pretty easy to set up and use. You have to set the collar with the box. Then ace the box in the middle of the perimeter then you put the collar on your dog. Make sure to walk your dog around the perimeter so he or she knows where they can go.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Simple application when it came to installing the barrier where I wanted the "Invisible Fence" to go to an end. I like the collar that goes around my dog's neck, it's a good fit and isn't too heavy and doesn't seem to cause any or much discomfort to my dog. The Invisible Fence really did everything that I needed and expected that it would do. I needed something to keep my dog in the yard and I did not want to put up an actual fence. This worked perfectly and my dog responds to it very well. It's easy to use and the yard still looks great. It really is a do it yourself installation which is fast and no need to call or have someone else come do it for you. The instructions were very straightforward and with basic common sense anyone could figure it out.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

It works great, easy to use, dog is happy with it. Thank so much for a great product. No tragic the dog or anything. The dog was able to use it right away. The price was great, easy to teach the dog. Was easy to set up and dog got used to it right away.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I liked training with a beep before shocking the dogs. They really didnt get shocked very often but still stayed in the yard, I'm sure others dogs would learn quickly also with owners taking the time with them. A long leash was provided to train the boundaries. We were set up on automatic battery replacement so it's one less thing to remember. The expense and at that time the collars were quite large for a smaller dog and it was pricey to purchase the smaller collar when they came out. Nothing is inexpensive. We didnt do the installation ourselves, that was part of the purchase. The training process was fairly simple, yes it was effective for us. You just need to know what boundaries you want and then take the time to work with your pets. I would install at a different location if I moved.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2017

I like that it's underground and can't be seen. I also like that there's no visible wires sticking out. Or any form of an object that can be tripped over. It's very simple to use. I don't like that the prongs from the collar have an issue reaching the dogs sling through thick fur. It's a hassle to have to put lotion on the dogs. It was very easy to install the fence in the yard an it was also easy to train the dogs of where it was and what would happen if they went into the area of the fence. They helped train us as to show the dogs where the fence was and how to reprimand them if they went through the fence. They also showed us how to get them out of the fence if they went through it.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

This dog fence worked well for the most part and mostly kept my dog in the yard except for the two times he ran through and escaped. Maybe because he was such a large dog. Dog in the yard most of the time except for when he ran out into the street. I don't think this product is effective and therefore would not recommend it to people I know. The fence should be stronger and more accurate instead of just a certain radius. Until these bugs are fixed I wouldn't recommend.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

It's very easy to use and it's easy to install but very time consuming. The installation process is the most hands on experience with the whole thing. You have to measure and then bury the wire. And it takes a long time to hide the wires beneath the ground. Once the ground work is laid it is easy peasy lemon squeezy from there and they give you a well planned out guide on how to do it all which is great. After that, it's as easy as putting the collar on your dog and turning it on.

But if the collar breaks or malfunctions in any way it is your responsibility to buy a new one which is very expensive. It costs almost as much as paying for a whole new unit which is ridiculous and way too much to pay for just a collar. So basically without the collar you just have a box with some wires buried in the ground so it becomes useless. Not what I would call good on their part.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

Invisible Fence is an affordable solution for us at under $300. The system we purchased was one inside plug-in unit that emitted a perimeter signal. Place your perimeter flags in the yard and plug your base in and out the collar on your pet. Walk him to each perimeter and let the unit issue the warning. Easy and very effective. Also this version didn't require us to dig trenches and bury wires -- it was basically plug and play. There's collar correction so that dog must return to the yard for the shock to stop although I would like to be able to link more than one collar to the base unit so that all of my dogs were on the system at the same time. Loved too that we could take it with us even on evacuations. The number one feature for us was portability.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

Invisible Fence has a nice range and nice features that allow for maximum safety of your dog in most situations barring something unexpected didn't happen. It served its purpose well for me. But it could be more user-friendly and easier to install. Overall it could be a tad bit cheaper for what the product is. It was rather expensive and hard to gauge the range I had to set the Invisible Fence up at. It was hard to figure some of the features out however and measure the radius on which I had to set it up to get the maximum use of the product. But I would definitely use again.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

Invisible fence helps keep my dogs on my property without installing a fence. Friends had it installed and I saw how it worked for them before I purchased mine. I did not wish to install a fence. If I installed a fence, it would spoil my view. It would also be an added expense and would also involve upkeep of the fence. I did not to buy a fence and stain or paint it. It is relatively easy to install. It was installed quickly and was completed in less than a day.

It is very effective keeping them on my property. It shocks my dogs if they go past the boundary. I wish there was another way to keep them on my boundary without shocking them. At first they tested it and got shocked. They quickly learned and stopped going near the boundary line to avoid getting shocked and both my dogs are now safe from getting hit by traffic.

Invisible Fence expert review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

Invisible Fence makes containment and training products for dogs and cats. It has worked with consumers to keep more than 3 million pets safely in their yards. The systems are available in seven countries through 289 dealers. The company was founded in 1973 and became a part of Radio Systems Corporation in 2006.

• Options: Invisible Fence offers in-ground fences, indoor and outdoor wireless barriers and collar-activated dog doors.

• Single collar: Invisible Fence’s products are all compatible with one another. You can set up multiple containment areas that all work with a single collar.

• Free consultation: Invisible Fence offers free consultations, so a professional can assess exactly which products you’ll need. You’ll be given pricing during your no-obligation consultation.

• Professional installation: Professionals install all Invisible Fence Systems, eliminating the need to worry about whether you set things up correctly yourself. The installation is included in the overall price.

• Professional training: After professionals install your Invisible Fence, certified trainers will get to know your pet and work with him. During the process, your pet will learn which areas are out-of-bounds.

• Best for: people who can’t put up a fence because of HOA restrictions, people who don’t like the look of standard fences and people with hard-to-contain dogs.

Profile picture of Jami Barnett, Ph.D.
Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

Invisible Fence Company Information

www.invisiblefence.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use