2. Miscellaneous

3.4/5 (65 ratings)

About Invisible Fence

Invisible Fence Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Invisible Fence?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Invisible Fence?

Original review: July 19, 2021

Beware. The company charges $105 dollars to drive out to your house to fix the problem. Then you can pay for labor and materials. After paying for installation and the batteries, every three months, which aren't inexpensive I feel like this is just money gouging on their part. You are stuck having them come out to fix the problem so you have to pay this driving fee. I wish I had put in a true fence. If I move again I will not do an Invisible Fence.

Original review: April 8, 2021

When I say it "Doesn't work", what I mean is that it usually works. We have followed all the instructions offered to us by the company, but every 2-4 weeks, one of my dogs decides that it's no big deal and they just walk past it. Several times I've walked around the neighborhood yelling my dog's name trying to get them to come back. It's only a matter of time before one of them gets struck by a car, gets stolen, or just never comes back. I'm into this setup for over 4000 USD now and still chasing my dogs around the neighborhood. So it works most of the time. Which is to say, it doesn't work.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 1, 2021

I have had a terrible experience with this company. Our golden has had prior experience with underground fences and is easily trained. We recently moved and tried the official Invisible Fence. Initial training was poor and frightened her and she wouldn’t go past 5 ft of the house for months. When she finally did, shortly after a year, the collar stopped working and our pup would wander away without correction. We called for assistance and were told we would need a $90 service fee despite the significant expense it took to install. They continued to tell us about their lifetime warranty yet wouldn’t come assist without additional payment. I accidentally called a competitor first for assistance and they agreed to send a rep out immediately. Once I realized it was actually the invisible fence and called them instead - crickets.. My wife and I take turns standing outside in negative degree Midwest weather. Do yourself a favor, stay away from this brand..

Original review: Aug. 10, 2020

I paid for a fence. Took a long trip to the office for my second dog. They didn't like it because I couldn't give them 400+ dollars to let them train him. I trained him myself. They wouldn't turn the fence up high enough so he couldn't escape without me giving them 140+ dollars more. Lady said it was their protocol. I didn't have the extra money with this being the pandemic and work hours short etc. I just feel like they really didn't care and greed was in front of them caring.

My dog (and he is a little dog) escaped the fence twice. All I asked them to do was turn his collar up a level or two. I know my dog, had him since he was 6 wks old. He is now 1 1/2 yrs. and very intelligent. She just kept giving me excuses as to why she couldn't turn his collar up without a trainer training him again which would cost me a lot more money after purchasing a fence (which was expensive enough) from them. I felt their service was very poorly handled when it comes to customer/client care and concerns for my pet. I highly would not recommend this company!

Original review: July 30, 2020

The GPS collar takes time to connect with the satellite. This could be anywhere from 2 minutes to 10 minutes. Our first collar took 15 minutes to connect. They came and replaced it. This one takes 2-10. But when the dog is in the garage under our STEEL ROOF it disconnects with the GPS so every time he comes out of the garage it takes 2-10 minutes. That would be enough time to run across the road and get hit by a car. Not happy with the disconnecting signal. This cost a lot of money for the inability to work all the time. So if you have a steel roof this isn’t for you. They don’t tell you that thou.

Original review: May 15, 2020

The invisible fence itself works well. Our dogs stay where they are supposed to be without issue. The problem is that once we agreed to the install it's been sell, sell, sell. They also left out some pretty important information. The system was installed and worked great until I edged my grass. What you aren't told is that the wire will only be buried 1" deep. If you don't care for your lawn then no problem but no more edging, aerating or putting anything sharp in the ground more than 3/4". Some of ours isn't even under the beauty bark of the planter it runs through. Don't worry though, they would be happy to send someone out to fix it.

This costs hundreds of dollars by the way, if you don't want it fixed they will gladly charge you to have someone come out and make the beeping stop (This is done by unplugging the unit from the wall) or they will sell you a repair kit (Yes, it's a butt splice that you can buy for 50 cents at any home improvement store). I guess I'll keep digging up my grass every year but am hoping I can help someone else from suffering the same fate.

Original review: April 22, 2020

I purchased the system at full price. They assured me the dog would not get through...yet she did numerous times. The employees are not trainers although they charge about $100 extra claiming that they are. Now I need for the system that I already purchased to be rewired. They want to charge me twice what I originally paid while also advertising half price installation for new customers. Ok. I have a new pup that I want to keep in. My other dog who has passed kept running through it. The owner told me they charge $25 per 15 min. $100 an hour? And I am an existing customer who bought their weak system already. For $100 hr I’m not sure why we all aren’t getting into this business. No real dog training and certainly no brain surgeons. Run a wire continuous stream. Imagine how good we all will live to make $100 an hr doing this.

Original review: April 22, 2020

We recently purchased a home with an invisible fence so when we adopted our rescue dog we were excited that we would be able to let her run and play in our yard. A representative came out for a consultation. He took our money and said a trainer/tech would come out to check functionality, put training flags out and train dog. When we didn’t hear back, we contacted Invisible Fence yet they had no record of the rep coming out. They were in process of sending another rep out for a consult?? Eventually a tech came out. We have no complaints about the tech/trainer. He was pleasant and professional. However, we were told someone would come back within a week to do a second session. We had given the trainer more money because we needed to buy a new collar (expensive). We never received an email confirmation or call letting us know when the tech/trainer would come back.

After a week passed (today), we had to contact them again. Our dog still can’t use the yard yet we paid in full. In addition, it took several attempts to contact Invisible fence initially. Kept getting a message that the line had been disconnected. Once we were finally able to talk to someone, no apologies were made for that or for the misunderstanding when another rep was on the way instead of the tech/trainer. So far we are very unhappy and skeptical of Invisible Fence. Perhaps their lack of communication has to do with the pandemic but it would be nice to hear “sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience”. Hopefully we will be seeing a technician in the near future. Update: we just spoke to customer service and he confirmed there was no second visit scheduled. We were told a tech could come out next week but we insisted Tomorrow. He was a little irate. Again no apology.

Original review: April 13, 2020

Training lasted lasted just a few minutes. Walked dog around perimeter. Local dealer went out of business. Adopted another rescue dog. Told by 800# that a new color would cost 400.00. How greedy and shameful.

Original review: March 29, 2020

We have 7 acres so we initially tried the GPS system, no matter what we tried, training, tweaking the accuracy and strength. We could not get results with our dog. Very frustrating for us and the technicians trying to help us. We then tried to scale down and switch to wired system. Again we could not contain our dog. Multiple training visits left us frustrated. I now have a very expensive wire on my property, the good news that in one month, I will have paid off ($220 a month for a year) the useless system. Do your research before you buy, and if I could do it all again, I would not choose Invisible Fence.

Invisible Fence author review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

Invisible Fence makes containment and training products for dogs and cats. It has worked with consumers to keep more than 3 million pets safely in their yards. The systems are available in seven countries through 289 dealers. The company was founded in 1973 and became a part of Radio Systems Corporation in 2006.

• Options: Invisible Fence offers in-ground fences, indoor and outdoor wireless barriers and collar-activated dog doors.

• Single collar: Invisible Fence’s products are all compatible with one another. You can set up multiple containment areas that all work with a single collar.

• Free consultation: Invisible Fence offers free consultations, so a professional can assess exactly which products you’ll need. You’ll be given pricing during your no-obligation consultation.

• Professional installation: Professionals install all Invisible Fence Systems, eliminating the need to worry about whether you set things up correctly yourself. The installation is included in the overall price.

• Professional training: After professionals install your Invisible Fence, certified trainers will get to know your pet and work with him. During the process, your pet will learn which areas are out-of-bounds.

by Jami Barnett, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

Invisible Fence Company Information