2. Pets
  3. Electric Dog Fences

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.53/5

Invisible Fence Reviews

Original review: Jan. 18, 2020

We have had Invisible Fence for nearly four years. We were satisfied for the most part until our dog who was peacefully sleeping inside the house woke up abruptly squealing for nearly 30 seconds before we realized it was his collar that was shocking him when it was not supposed to. When I took it off I was shocked by the collar and I set it down on the table. My husband picked it up and he was also shocked. Needless to say, we did not put the collars back on. I called customer service and was told that I could either pay $110 to have a technician come and look and see if there was a problem, and then they could change the frequency of the receiver as it might have been triggered by an outside line.

In addition, she informed me that I could also take it in or she could walk me through the process of changing the frequency. When I stated that the problem was on their end she reported that it was their policy and that she could not do anything about it. In addition she stated that she would not guarantee if this would work. I called back after deciding that we would need to do something for our dogs. Another person was then on the line and told me that they would not be able to replace the collar even though it was covered under the warranty until they saw something wrong with it. I stated that it is faulty as it went off inside the house and that it should be replaced under my warranty. He coldly said no, that is not what would happen as they had to first determine if the dog would it had indeed malfunctioned.

How many more dogs need to be needlessly shocked before they determine that their equipment had malfunctioned? How callow they were and he also stated that there was no higher up that I could talk. This is my only way of expressing extreme disappointment. Do not recommend to anyone. I can't even cancel the service as the equipment is paid for and there is no termination of contract.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

My electronic fence was great for years and kept my dog safe until a tree came down on the neutral wire broke it. The do it yourself repair kit (which I had to inquire) cost $8.50 vs. $149.00 diagnostic visit from employees. We fixed the fence ourselves and then the collar stopped sending an electrical charge, it beeped but no correction charge. They control the 'level' of charge going to the collars, you cannot change or check the correction level yourself.

After several phone calls to the company, the entire bill to fix the problem would be between $400.00 and $549.00. After purchasing the fence and all the expense, it would seem you are on your own afterward. I truly felt they did not care and only wanted more money compounded with the obsorbinate cost of the fence. Word of mouth is the best form of advertisement.

Get expert buying tips about Electric Dog Fences delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2019

Our fence has worked well and we were pleased with the installation and trainer. All was well until our dog’s collar device fell off the collar. I contacted customer service to enact the warranty. They explained that because we couldn’t find the device we would have to pay $400.00 for a new one, as the warranty did not apply to lost collars. I explained that we didn’t lose the collar. Our dog was still wearing it. The device had fallen off.

Nonetheless, we had to buy a new one in order to keep our dog protected. I was assured, however, that if the broken piece turned up I could send it in for a refund. The broken piece was eventually found. I reached out to the customer service agent who I had worked with. She never responded. I tried again with an email to the general customer service, again no response. I then sent a request through a system on the official website for a customer service agent to contact me. Still no response. I have been quite disappointed!

Original review: Oct. 19, 2019

The system cost $3500 and is not reliable. The collars fail regularly. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don't. The technician doesn't have an answer for that. The boundaries are variable as well. We also had the system at a secondary location. Our dog got corrected when she was where she was supposed to be. Fortunately we were with her when it happened and quickly took off the collar. I know there are some issues with in ground systems as well but you aren't spending $3500.

Resolution response: Nov. 1, 2019

Ultimately the company sent me a refund for the cost of the door. Thank you to them for that.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

I appreciate the protection from the busy street nearby that our invisible fence provides. However, I've been deeply disappointed with Invisible Fence's customer service. They sold me a very expensive dog door that never worked, they've come to "fix" it multiple times, to no avail. This has made training our dog to use the door even more difficult because it so often doesn't work. The last time a support person came out to work on the door they said they'd be getting a replacement and actually left the house with the door completely uninstalled. However, they never followed up. Now when I call the company they say that the notes from that visit declare that the door was working. They apparently don't have the records of who entered that into the system or who came to my house, so they can't follow up with them either. I am beyond frustrated at the time and money wasted on this issue and the disrespectful way I've been treated as a customer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Invisible Fence?

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

With Invisible Fence, we've trained 4 dogs over the years on one acreage property. Now the whole office team, especially Jonas **, have helped us set up a new system in a smaller neighborhood yard. He came out and in 5 minutes solved a problem with our new system/old collar that gave our dog outside freedom again. No better customer service out there!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I've had the invisible fence for approximately 3 yrs. I enjoy knowing my pets are safe in their yard. Before committing I wish I had known that if something goes wrong, it takes weeks to get service. Therefore leaving my pets unsafe and a great inconvenience for all of us.

Original review: May 30, 2019

We do love our fence and feel that it works great and keeps our dogs on our property. My problem with them is once it's installed and they made the sale that is the END of their customer service. EVERYTHING costs money. And not a little bit, a LOT. They aren't too concerned about your satisfaction after you spent $2000 on the fence so do not expect anything beyond the install. I mean EVERYTHING costs. They really nickel and dime you. Just a warning.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

We installed the Boundary Plus on 9/11/2018. Since then we've had to have 3 installation appointments (they couldn't get a walkway completed correctly) & three additional wire break problems for a back wooded area where the line can't be installed in ground and is being broken by a small animal (rabbit, squirrel etc). Each time a wire break has occurred, the system has been down for 3-5 days, we have been charged $150-$200 per visit and there has been a discussion about how this could happen/how a permanent solution can be found.

The installer, Candy, did see our property, did see that there is a back wooded area (and also advised on how we could include our walkway which was such a problem at installation), but never mentioned that an OUTSIDE product can't withstand things such as rabbits and bunnies. IF she had advised on either as being a problem, we would have re-evaluated our buying decision and/or changed where the wire was installed to ensure that all areas were installed with durability as the top priority. Education is key here but since we didn't have any indication of this, I have called Invisible Fence and asked to speak with the owner.

This is when their true unprofessionalism began to reveal itself. The owner was unavailable since she was traveling for work (curios) and I have yet to receive a phone call back from her to discuss the problem. However, I did speak with two very unprofessional ladies, Candy and Laura, who in both email and phone calls were completely taken aback that this is a problem and said it's uncommon. I find that shocking since we live in WA state where there are many outdoor critter such as rabbits, mice, rats, squirrels.

First Candy reminded us that we were given a free product upgrade (all caps in her email) as if we should somehow be grateful for their inability to deliver on their installation (which you pay around $700 for with this product), and how that should maybe overshadow any future problems with the product? We were also advised to get someone out to remedy our pest problem but I promise you that no company can effectively rid pest from a forested area. This should have been a conversation during product consultation.

The responsibility to educate consumers on your product lies with the company. I am happy to provide copies of emails and specific call dates into the company. I'm also still waiting to hear back from the company and will most likely be asking for a removal of the product and a full refund since we are within our 90 day evaluation period.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

Had the fence put in and the line kept breaking on its own??? Technician would come out run right up to the "break" and repair it. $$80. Manager/owner came out on my last dealing with the company and brought 6 employees with him to find our break. Got a bill from them charging me for their hourly rate. 3 hours at $12 an hour times 6. What the hell is going on at this company. Don't they know that word of mouth can make or break your business???

Protect your property with a home alarm

Take our two minute quiz to find the right home security system for you.

Invisible Fence expert review by Jami Barnett, Ph.D.

Invisible Fence makes containment and training products for dogs and cats. It has worked with consumers to keep more than 3 million pets safely in their yards. The systems are available in seven countries through 289 dealers. The company was founded in 1973 and became a part of Radio Systems Corporation in 2006.

• Options: Invisible Fence offers in-ground fences, indoor and outdoor wireless barriers and collar-activated dog doors.

• Single collar: Invisible Fence’s products are all compatible with one another. You can set up multiple containment areas that all work with a single collar.

• Free consultation: Invisible Fence offers free consultations, so a professional can assess exactly which products you’ll need. You’ll be given pricing during your no-obligation consultation.

• Professional installation: Professionals install all Invisible Fence Systems, eliminating the need to worry about whether you set things up correctly yourself. The installation is included in the overall price.

• Professional training: After professionals install your Invisible Fence, certified trainers will get to know your pet and work with him. During the process, your pet will learn which areas are out-of-bounds.

• Best for: people who can’t put up a fence because of HOA restrictions, people who don’t like the look of standard fences and people with hard-to-contain dogs.

by Jami Barnett, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Jami Barnett, Ph.D., is an experienced researcher, and she believes consumers have a right to clear and honest information about products. In her role at ConsumerAffairs, she thoroughly researches products and companies by interviewing experts, reviewing research studies, reading governmental regulations and investigating customer service responses. Her work gives consumers the information they need to make smart purchasing decisions.

Invisible Fence Company Information