Tommy John Reviews

• 17%
  • 10%
  • 57%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tommy John?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Tommy John?

Reviewed July 29, 2023

I’ve been wearing Tommy John underwear since 2015 and have spent hundreds of dollars on their underwear for myself and my wife. The underwear used to be so high quality and would last for years. Only recently I had to retire one of the first pairs I had, a pair of red cool cotton briefs my wife bought me for Valentine's Day 2016.

Over the last couple years the quality has greatly declined. My second skin briefs are lucky to last 6-8 months before holes start appearing and before long my family jewels are no longer inside my second skins. I’ve also noticed several higher-end retailers have stopped carrying them and then recently found them in a small end cap hidden in the back of a Target. It’s a shame what has been allowed to happen to such an originally great product. I can only assume the reason for their decline is moving manufacturing out of California to overseas.

Pinned

We are sorry to hear that you have not been satisfied with your recent purchases. This is not the experience we expect you to have and we will be reaching out to assist further.

Reviewed July 26, 2023

My wife bought me my first pair of Tommy John’s and I thought they were great. Went ahead and bought 5 more pairs immediately. Then about two weeks later I noticed they had a hole in the back area. For the price, the quality should be much better.

Pinned

This is not typical and we're sorry to hear this. We will make this right.

Reviewed July 13, 2023

I have purchased well over $500 in Tommy John underwear. Within a couple months, several had the fabric tear away from the waistband and the rest are full of holes. I am extremely disappointed, not only with the quality, but the company's lack of customer service. In a very short period of time, I've had to throw away several hundred dollars worth of Boxer Briefs from Tommy John. This is unacceptable.

Pinned

We're sorry to hear this and will be reaching out to assist further.

Reviewed June 7, 2023

I purchased 3 pair of men's underwear. On two of them the fabric tore away from the waistband within a month. The third lasted three months before that happened. The garments were of very poor quality and I would definitely not recommend these products to anyone.

Pinned

This is not the experience we want for you and will be following up with you to make this right.

Profile pic of the author.

Reviewed May 30, 2023

I liked the feel of the cool cotton so I have ordered about 12 pair total. I use a garment bag when washing. Almost every single pair is now full of holes, excluding the original 3 I bought at first. I have holes on one or both hips of all of underwear near the seams. Very disappointing, especially considering the cost.

Pinned

We're very sorry to hear this and would like to make this right. We have followed up with you for more information.

Reviewed May 23, 2023

I am a 77 year old man whose daily exercise includes 20-30 minutes of cross-country running. The Tommy John Second Skin undershirt has been my favorite running shirt until purchasing the new and improved Tommy John Second Skin undershirt. The improved version is not a second skin. It is just an undershirt. My skin rides against the new shirt whereas the old shirt moved with me. Upon examining the print on the inside back of the neck of the improved shirt I found the print is now easy to read. Black rather than the previous blue. I also found why the new and improved undershirt does not feel like a second skin. The improved version is 90% modal whereas the original version was 90% micro modal. The modal version stretches differently and rides on my skin differently when compared to my collection of original shirts.

Pinned

We're sorry to hear you have not been pleased with your recent purchase and will be reaching out to assist further.

Reviewed April 1, 2023

Honestly, they feel great when you 1st wear them. I'll give them that for sure. However, the quality of the fabric could be better, and holes will start to appear after only months' worth of washing them. I followed what other reviews said, "Don't use fabric softener or put it into the dryer." No matter what, little holes started to appear, and from there, they got more prominent, and I had to throw them away. Very disappointed when you paid $100 bucks for three pairs.

Pinned

We're sorry to hear of your disappointment and will be following up with you to assist.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Dec. 31, 2022

I bought 4 pairs of second skin underwear for my husband in the size he wears in all other brands. He tried on one pair and removed the tags. They were too small. I contacted customer service for an exchange and after going back and forth through email, was told that they could not offer an exchange or return for items that have been tried on! How are customers supposed to know an item fits without trying it on???? I don't recommend ordering from this company, their products are overpriced and you obviously have to lie and say the items you need a different size in were not tried on!

Pinned

We're sorry for your experience. While we cannot take back worn undergarments due to sanitary reasons, we do have a Best Pair Guarantee that allows our customers to try on one pair of underwear, and if it doesn't fit well, we can exchange them. We are going to follow up with you to see how we can assist further.

Verified purchase
    Sales & MarketingPrice

Reviewed Dec. 13, 2022

Well, the main claim that prompted me to purchase, never rolls, got busted moments after I put them on and sat down to put my socks on. Comfortable, but no more so than the ones 1/6th the price that were advertised by a bunch of guys in fruity costumes. Very disappointed given the advertisement claims and price. The only drawers I’ve found more disappointing are also heavily advertised from a company with a Minnesota city name.

Staff

Reviewed Nov. 10, 2022

My husband has 8 pair of Tommy John’s second skin underwear size M and they all fit perfect, they are however thin to the point of being see through. He recently purchased 4 pair of the Apollo style underwear and the M ones are super tight. He trusted they would fit so when he got them he took the tags off, tried one pair on and found out they are not sized the same as their other styles. You would think that a size M is a size M no matter what, but nope. He did a chat with them and they said to send them back for a refund or credit, they received them 3 days ago and he has NEVER heard anything from them so we will see how that goes.

Pinned

We're sorry to hear of this. This is not typical and we will ensure that this is shared with our team. Please note that as stated on our returns policy page, it may take up to 10 business days for refunds to be processed.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed Sept. 19, 2022

I was initially impressed with the comfort and breathability of the Tommy John men's underwear. I purchased 3 pairs and then quickly another five pair. However after about a month of use all but one pair developed a hole in the bottom of each pair. I was incredibly disappointed in their durability.

Pinned

We're glad to hear you have been happy with the comfort of your Tommy John underwear. That said, we're sorry to hear of the issues you've been having. We'd like to assist, and have sent you a direct message to get more information.

Reliability

Reviewed July 3, 2022

Holes developed in almost every pair in the butt, some were relatively new! Don’t buy them, you will only be disappointed I promise. Clearly defective. My advice is to steer clear of this product - they look good but wear really poorly.

Pinned

We're very sorry to hear this. While this is not common, we are always here to make it right. We will be reaching out to you privately.

Don increased rating by 2 stars.
    Price
    After a positive interaction with Tommy John, Don increased their star rating on July 30, 2022.

Updated review: July 30, 2022

Tommy John did contact me right away and their customer support was apologetic and more than willing to resolve the issue swiftly and to my satisfaction. Their response to my concerns gave me a renewed faith in this brand.

Original Review: July 3, 2022

I fell into the Tommy John underwear trap initially after being gifted a pair for my birthday. It felt like I wasn't wearing any underwear and that was what I initially loved. The fabric was light and airy and overall, the best pair of underwear I ever owned. I immediately ordered more, paying around $120 for 3 pair. That (in and of itself) proved how much I liked them because I had never purchased underwear that expensive before. It sounded insane at first, but I dove in and ordered them anyhow.

Within a week, the pair I got for my birthday started to tear from what looked like the material coming apart. I was now getting concerned, as my order was on the way. I ended up having to throw the first pair away. Within a few weeks, one of the other pair also started to come apart from a similar weakening of the fabric. I contacted Tommy John and after asking me questions about how I was laundering the underwear, they looked up my purchase and ended up sending me a replacement pair. It wasn't more than a month before it started happening again, so I decided this wasn't an isolated experience and excepted my losses and move on. Like everything, it all came down to the quality.

Pinned

Hi there, we're sorry to hear of the issues you have been experiencing and will be following up to further assist.

Reviewed June 30, 2022

I was given 2 pairs of Tommy John Long underwear and after 2 washes, the waistband was shredded. Contacted customer service and they give you a runaround. Other companies take care of their customers without question. This company does not. Do not buy from them.

Pinned

Hi there, we're sorry to see this and will be following up with you to assist. We are happy to replace items purchased through Tommy John that develop issues outside of the reasonable lifespan of the garment.

Punctuality & Speed

Reviewed June 23, 2022

I purchased 12 pairs and they all very quickly went from smooth material to feeling pimples all over the material. Very disappointed. I specifically purchased from an expensive brand expecting a awesome product. Oh well.

Pinned

We're sorry to hear this and we will be contacting you to assist.

Reviewed June 4, 2022

I have been a loyal fan of Tommy John’s men's briefs for years. I wear the men's briefs and they used to fit perfectly. The last order I made was for 6 pairs, when I tried them on they fit like granny panties! Baggy and loose. I hope they go back to the original sizing…Mark

Pinned

That doesn't sound right and we will be reaching out to assist.

Reviewed April 19, 2022

I have been wearing Tommy Johns for over a year now and am starting to see a trend. On the cool cotton boxer briefs, the material quickly starts to wear out and fall apart in the bottom of the crotch area. It becomes very thin and see through. This has happened to two pairs now that I have owned for well under a year. The first time, they replaced them. The second time they couldn't because I didn't have an order number. This is becoming a trend and I don't think I will be ordering any more underwear from them as they don't seem to hold up. Same area, same failure, same product. They're comfortable but not durable.

Pinned

We are sorry to hear this. We will be reaching out to assist further and make a suggestion for another fabric that should work better for you.

Reviewed April 18, 2022

I found the underwear does not fit men with athletic butt. Rides too low in back. Also wore a hole thru on the backside, probably due to the same reason. Have purchased other high end underwear and am much happier with them.

Pinned

We appreciate you sharing your feedback and we would like to try to get you into something that fits you better. Additionally, we are sorry to hear of the hole, as that should not have occurred. Our team will be happy to assist so please reach out to us at support@tommyjohn.com.

Reviewed March 3, 2022

My husband really loves these underwear. The problem is that he has 14 pair of underwear that definitely are not cheap, but have torn around most of the waistband. It’s VERY disappointing. I won’t be buying anymore.

Pinned

While we're glad your husband is liking his Tommy John underwear, we're sorry to hear of this issue. That is not typical and our Support Team will be happy to assist. Please send us an email at support@tommyjohn.com.

Customer ServiceOnline & App

Reviewed Jan. 8, 2022

The Tommy John website will not allow my one star review to submit, so using this site. Purchased the Second Skin bra last year and the material that touches my shoulder blades itches. I do not have sensitive skin and this is the first time I have purchased an itchy bra. Customer service would not refund as claimed but insisted I return it for replacement. During the pandemic I was unable to do this so am stuck with an expensive bra that I cannot wear. Very poor customer service and there's no answer why their material is so itchy.

Pinned

We will be reaching out!

Verified purchase

Reviewed Sept. 21, 2021

I have been purchasing Tommy John for my husband for 2 or 3 years now, and he has loved the comfort of the underwear. However, several pairs of the underwear have ripped at the top seam, and his comfy pants ripped at the knee as well. At first I thought it was just a fluke, but now I firmly believe the underwear is poor quality and just doesn't last. For the price you pay, the underwear should not have to be thrown away after a year or so of use. And to be clear, he doesn't wear them all the time, mainly on weekends, and not at work, so they are not being worn too often. I will not be purchasing Tommy John products again, and I would not recommend them ever again.

Pinned

Stephanie, we're terribly sorry to see this & will be sending a message to you!

Reviewed Sept. 5, 2021

Dear Tommy John. If you are reading this, then you now know. It's time for us to go our separate ways. We've had our issues in the past...You would try to make it right and I always gave you another chance. But I can't give you chance after chance anymore. My patience has worn out. It's time for us to go our separate ways. In all seriousness I have spent a ton of money on your product and I enjoy wearing them, however, every single pair of underwear I own from Tommy John has ripped in the exact same spot (the perineum area). You've replaced underwear in the past (several times) and even the new ones ripped. I literally have to throw away 6 pairs... Underwear that isn't even a year old... Literally, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day, and Christmas theme underwear all worthless in less than a year. I'm fed up/annoyed/frustrated/done.

Pinned

David, we're so sorry to see this & will be sending a message

Reviewed Aug. 4, 2021

I like the comfort and fit of the men's underwear - bought 10-15 pair. However, the material gets prematurely worn out. Every pair has a hole in the crotch area or is about to get a hole (material worn out). These aren't old.. For the price, the quality is poor - I expect more out of the underwear given the price. Buyer beware, I didn't check reviews before my purchase. Otherwise I would have seen the other reviews about poor quality. I won't return for additional purchases from Tommy John, which is unfortunate because I really like the brand/fit.

Reviewed July 24, 2021

I love the feel and look of these briefs but I have now had several wear out within 6 months. The crotch area becomes very thin and ends up getting holes. Do not have this problem with other similarly priced brands so not sure what the issue is but will keep me from coming back.

Pinned

Terribly sorry to hear this. We'll be in contact!

Reviewed July 21, 2021

I had two pairs of Tommy John boxer briefs. Both developed holes in rear in 5-6 months. My wife bought me 2 more because I commented on how comfortable they were. I wish I saw this before purchasing since a lot of people seem to be having same issue. Is there a class action lawsuit? $40 per pair and 5 months lifespan is unreasonable.

Pinned

Phil, we'll be reaching out!

Staff

Reviewed July 4, 2021

My husband saw Tommy John underwear in an ad and HAD to try them. They were absolutely amazing. They felt great, looked great. However, I can't imagine anyone who would be willing to spend that kind of money every few months. The first pair got holes all in the crotch and rear area. I chalked it up to a "faulty" pair and didn't think anything of it. The other three pair have done the same. I cannot, will not, spend my money on this product again and it's a shame, because he loves to wear them.

Pinned

We'd like to help, please reach out to us directly for assistance! support@tommyjohn.com

Reviewed June 20, 2021

These underwear survived one year (about 20 washes) before falling apart. Multiple holes in the crotch area and unusable. I am bitterly disappointed. I received these as a Christmas present and was very excited at the fit and feel. But who can afford to replace underwear every year?

Pinned

Not normal at all, please reach out to us directly for assistance! support@tommyjohn.com

Reviewed May 10, 2021

I have been on a search for quality men's undergarments. I got tired of the "big warehouse" brands that are made to fit very well on manikins. There had to be something on the market that didn't have to be pulled down every 10 min. I have tried just about every variant of Tommy John's men's underwear line. They are all very comfortable and don't have to be pulled down nearly as often. Those are the positives. The price is ridiculous and they only last about 5-6 washes before they fall apart. The material breaks apart and leaves lint pieces stuck in any and all creases and cracks down below.

I can see where they were going with these, it is not without some merit. They need to fix one of the two major issues to make these a viable option for most guys. (1) PRICE- The comfort level is better than most men's under garments on the market so if the price wasn't so high it might be worth considering these even though they don't last very long. (2) Longevity - If you want to charge so much for your product you need to make them last more than 6 uses. Tommy John, you can't have it both ways. Either build a great product that lasts and charge accordingly. Or admit that the durability is sacrificed for comfort and the product has a short service. Live and charge accordingly. If either of those happens I will gladly buy your product for me and my entire household.

Reviewed March 20, 2021

I purchased women underwear for X Mas from Tommy John. It does not hold up even though I separate my delicates from my normal wash. I've emailed the company to get my order number and have yet to get a response. They don't hold up to delicate washing cycle!

Pinned

Very sorry to hear this we'll reach out!

Installation & Setup

Reviewed March 9, 2021

Plain and simple, at $30-35 per pair, Tommy John underwear should last longer. Every pair I have ever had rips or disintegrates in the seat or crotch. Many within a few weeks and only after a few washes (following the washing instructions to a tee). This is a systemic problem with Tommy John products and it has been this way for years. There seems to be no effort on the part of TJ to improve the serious quality issues that they have with their materials and workmanship. These products are a hard pass in the future. No one should waste their money on this company's shoddy products.

Pinned

We’ll get to the bottom of this!

Tommy John Company Information