LA Weight Loss Center
3.69/5

Find the right weight loss program for you

LA Weight Loss Center

266 LA Weight Loss Center Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 13, 2010

LA weight Loss close its office in Shreveport and promised that the bars that was owed to me will be mailed to me on request. I have yet to receive any of them, no one called back at the number that was given to me and the LA to Your Door is given me the line, "We are not the same company." Also, I am still paying on my Care Credit card and I am not using nor do I have all of my products. I need my money back or my bars.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2010

I purchased the weight loss program and was doing very well. I continued the program for over a year but when I needed products, I was unable to buy them. The company wanted me to restart the full price and would not recognize me as a client. I then realized they moved buildings and then a few months after that, went out of business. They were unable to contact at all. I tried the Internet for a center close by but there wasn't one.

A phone representative told me that the company was not doing centers anymore and was deleting the products over the Internet and closing all centers nationwide. I asked if I could get some products but they said that we can mail them to you but we don't know how long we can do that due to deleting of products. I was told that if I needed anything next time, I may have to call and get items from another state out west. I was disappointed on the company and the change in the center. Every time I went in to weigh, there was another representative who was new and telling me different things about the diet, medicines and my blood pressure. I asked questions about this each time, and each time, I got brushed aside and moved along.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2010

I paid $299.00 for their weight loss program, which included the costs of 20 boxes of bars. I was just trying to find a way to get the bars that I paid for. I contacted the new LA Weight Loss company (LA to your door), which is run through the internet only - no stores. Their response was simply sorry, that they're the new company; our problem is with the old company and they are no longer in business. What a crock! I'd like to know the names of the top executives of the old and new companies, and if they are different, the sources of income for the old set of executives.

Original review: July 29, 2010

I paid a full program price and was in the middle of my program when they closed the doors. I asked about the potential of them closing (of which I heard a rumor) and, of course, they all denied it. I was not given all the nutrition bars I paid for nor the additional weight loss service.

Original review: July 23, 2010

I joined LA Weightloss in Bloomingdale IL. When you join, along with all of the other money pits, they talk you in to buying bars in bulk, which add up to $600. It is explained that if you buy in bulk, you save hundreds of dollars vs. buying by the box. When I was relocating to WI, I advised the IL center that I did not wish to have the bulk bars because from joining on, the center kept the inventory and we picked up as needed. They assured me that I could pick up without fail in the Brookfield Center and that they would house the bars and I would not have to.

Well that did not happen. I paid for the bars in IL, went to the new center and was transferred from IL to WI. The center in WI said they could not let me have bars because I had to get them from the center in IL. Cases of bars showed up at my home with no place to be stored. Then, every time I looked at the bars, it made me ill. They expired sitting in the pantry. I bought new ones at the WI center for $600 because we had no intentions of moving. To make a long story short, every time I requested bars they didn't have the ones I liked. It was later made public that they were going out of business in centers and going to be a phone only center.

The center closed and I was still owed and am still owed years later, $600.00 worth of bars. It was explained as the centers were closing that now instead of showing up at a center at the customer's convenience that they would call us at a certain time each week. If we missed the call, too bad, they would speak with us the next week at our slotted time. The consultant which was very non customer, stated that if I wasn't home again, they would have to give my timeto someone else. Also, if I got the bars, I now had to pay shipping in addition the the $600 that I had already paid.

I went back and forth via the phone so many times trying to get them to refund my money because I was not going to pay shipping and I was not going to sit by the phone at a certain time if they should happen to call on time, which sometimes was not the case. The consultant acted like she was going to get the bars sent and then she came to the conclusion that they had decided as a company that they would not honor my sales commitment because they were Corporate and I had been dealing with a franchise. They stated that I could push back on the Charge Card Company that I had used when making the purchase. I was not able to retrieve my money from either avenue.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about LA Weight Loss?

Original review: July 23, 2010

I belonged to the original LA Weight Loss program. I purchased the program and was happy. I still had money sitting on their books for LA Lites. I stopped going due to personal problems and I was never notified that the center was closing. I have about $300 sitting there. It would be nice if I get that money back. Just recently, I received a flyer in the mail that the program is again starting but is called LA to your door. They told me they are not affiliated with the original LA Weight Loss clinics. What I would like to know is how I can obtain the money back from the original LA Weight Loss clinics? I have recently signed up with the "LA To Your Door" and it would be nice to be able to apply that money owed to me to this program.

Original review: May 27, 2010

LA Weight Loss went out of business not fulfilling contracts of clients and all money was paid upfront. No refunds were given at time of closing.

Original review: May 7, 2010

I approach LA Weight Loss to start the program in August 2008. I joined on August 6, 2008 with a 52 week program. I was contacted in December that the branch was closing and to come in for some paperwork. I arrived, they provided me with the bars that I had purchased and advised me that since the refund was over their minimum, a check would be sent to me. The refund that I am still waiting is for $465.46. I have been trying to contact them, I have left messages after messages, left the information for them to contact me on their website but I have never heard from them again.

Original review: May 6, 2010

I was in the program with LA Weight Loss back then. But one day, they went out of business and they never paid me a refund of $300. At the beginning, a counselor was helping me by phone, but after that, she said that they were not going to call me for my program. I want to know what happened to my refund. I gained weight again because I never finished my program. I don't want to spend more money on weight loss products and on surgeries. Please call me at **.

Original review: April 19, 2010

I signed up May 1st, 2008 for this program. I paid out $353 and some change. Then, I had to buy the start-up package which was another $100! I had to buy bars on a regular basis. I had received a job offer in Chicago, IL in September of 2008. I advised them I would be moving and asked if there was a center for me in Chicago. I was told yes, that Chicago had plenty of centers. I was told this by Jean, the store manager herself!

The week I was moving, I went to do my last weigh in at the Coon Rapids store and was told that every center in Chicago had been closed down and that Jean was unable to transfer any of my information. But eureka, there is an online program for me! I didn't want that but felt my back was up against the wall now. So I signed up for it.

When I moved to Chicago, I gave myself a week to get settled and attempted to contact Jean. No answer! No answer at the store and no answer via email. That Coon Rapid store had closed down too. She could have told me and gave me options. I called around and sent emails after emails. Here it was, February 2009 and I made contact with a Jennifer ** via email. She guaranteed me a refund. I received a refund and it was for $4. What a slap in the face. My program was supposed to be a year and an additional year of stabilization. I receive five months of service. This is not right.

Original review: April 12, 2010

I signed up with LA Weight Loss Center and was fairly successful. I was able to put my account on hold for four weeks due to a family issue. When I returned, they talked to me into "buying more weeks". Since it would now take longer and by doing so, would still be eligible for the rebate. I also prepaid for more products to get me through the rest of the weight loss and maintenance - they had a terrific deal, so they said. Even though I was making weekly visits, no one told me they were closing. I showed up for my weigh-in and appointment, and the doors were locked.

I have been cheated out of around $900 in prepaid products and fees. This was a very expensive program, but if it helped me lose weight, it would be worth the financial commitment.

Original review: April 11, 2010

I joined on January 13, 2007, lost most of my weight and then they closed their doors on November 14, 2008. I had received my first 25% incentive rebate and this one-on-one counseling is what helped me. I spoke to someone on November 12, 2008 that no one had contacted me and they gave me the name Jenny and that she would be e-mailing me her e-mail so I could send my weigh-in each week. On December 3, 2008 I faxed the company telling them I hadn't heard from anyone yet. My last weigh-in was at the office on November 3, 2008. I never got my other 25% rebate because of no personal contact and I gained it back.

Original review: March 24, 2010

I had to put my account with LA Weight Loss on hold due to medical reasons and a terminal family member. When I was finally able to start back, I went to pick up my bars that I had already paid for and the doors were closed. I was never contacted by phone or mail and now I cannot find anyone to help me.

Original review: March 11, 2010

I am writing about this weight loss clinic. I have been in this clinic on and off since 2005 until 2008 and I would like to know if there is a class action lawsuit against them. They get you to join the club. But if for some reason you cannot complete the program, have paid for it, have paid for their LA weight supplements and they owe you these supplements, you cannot get them and you are out of money. I paid for these supplements. Everything. I joined this club and left with them owing me my supplements. I didn't get the supplements or the money back that I paid for them. I would like to know what can people like myself do. The weight loss center is close and they did not tell anyone that they were closing. They owe people money for joining the club. They owe people money for the supplement and weeks that they have paid for. How do we go about getting our money back? I even have their cookbook.

Original review: March 4, 2010

I started with the LA Weight Loss Center in Lakeville, MN and when I decided to go ahead with the program, I paid for the whole program and also bought the bars in bulk because it was a better deal of course. They told me that I would have a credit and to come in and pick up the bars as needed. When I moved back to SE Minnesota, I started going to the center in Rochester, MN and had all of my records transferred there. The last time I went into the center I had at least 45 or more boxes of bars to my name.

The next time I went to pick up bars a couple of weeks later, the center was closed and you could never get a hold of anybody after that. I called the numbers on the internet and never got in touch with anyone. I finally did get a hold of a center in SD and even they gave me numbers to call and still was able to reach anyone. So I am out all of the money that I should have been refunded for the bars that I never received. Today, in this economy, no one has the extra cash flow and then when you buy into a program even they turn on you.

Original review: March 3, 2010

I and my daughter were in a weight loss program with this company, and one day she went to look for some bars for her and me (which were already paid in full) and the place was closed. We never received a notification of the closure. We don't know how we could get our records in order to place a class action. All I have is my original contract with them, but not the breakdown of the bars they owed me. My daughter does not have her contract. She misplaced everything.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2010

I purchased the weight loss plan to lose many unwanted pounds and bought many LA Lites. I had to stop attending the program for a personal reason and have not been able to get any of the money back or have been able to get what I paid for on a credit card! I have not received the LA Lites and cannot get anyone to contact me about receiving my pay for LA Lites. I cannot get my money back. I am so frustrated! I put the LA Program on a credit card and have been paying each month for it (and have received nothing for a long time).

Original review: Dec. 9, 2009

I signed up for their program in July 2004 and went for a few months, when I started having back problems and I had to put a medical freeze on my account. Then I started going back again about 9 months later and they had given me a card for the LA Lites. So I put $150 on this card so that I could conveniently pick up the LA Lites snack bars and other items, as I needed them. I then was in a very bad major car accident and had numerous injuries so I had to medically freeze my account again and then all of the branches closed without notice before I could go back. When I was able to go back is when I discovered that they were closed. I called the customer service number and another number and they told me that there was no center in my calling area. Over all, I lost 40 lbs, which took forever and stuck to their diet plan that they prescribed to me. I also paid for a maintenance program. I would like to recover some of this money for services that were not rendered as it cost me over $500 for the program and then the $150 on the card.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2009

I have been served from Brachfeld Co. on a lawsuit for LA Weight Loss. I have contacted them letting them know I was going to answer because LA Weight Loss was to credit me all the product that I did not use because the program was not efficient. LA Weight Loss has all my product that a manager from Hanford building said she would take care for me. I felt I needed not to go any further. This program is a big scam.

When I first heard about LA Weight, I went in and talked to the ladies. I was like, "finally, someone that really cares." I finally found something that will work and help me and guide me to the weight loss I wanted and needed. That is when I was told that they have their own product and it would speed up my weight loss. They assured me that they have seen better results with the product than without. So I went ahead and included the product. After going with the program for a few weeks, I was not losing the weight that they said I would.

I was going to the weekly visits doing as they said. Finally, they were changing my food habits saying, try eating this and that. I got so frustrated and discouraged. I felt as if it was my fault I was not losing. I even was embarrassed to continue going in because it made me feel as if I were doing something wrong. It was so emotionally draining. I cried because I thought doing everything they said, I would lose the weight. After I stopped going, a lady who was the manager from Visalia had given me a call and she mentioned that they brought her to come and work in Hanford because there have been so many complaints and they were losing the clients.

I explained to her why I stopped going because every time I go, I get different girls telling me different things on what to eat or how to eat. I got frustrated. She said if I was willing to give them another chance and come in. I did go in but to only tell her I want credit for all products I have not used and refunded back. She said she would take care of it. Then after some time, I went back and noticed that the store had been closed and a note on door that it was no longer conducting business. I didn't think anything of it and just assumed everything was taken care of. That is when I was served with papers along with my mother since my mother was the co-signer.

That is also another problem. They told me that I needed to have a co-signer since my credit was good. So I had called my mother and they ran her credit over the phone and was approved. I believe they had me sign her name since they ran her credit over the phone. I had asked Brachfeld law group to send me a copy of the contract of what I was owing so I can read everything since it has been about 4 years or longer. They just send me a typed paper saying I owe this amount and also interest. I was looking online on who I can contact at LA Weight Loss and that is when I found out that most of them have been closed and shut down.

I tried to get phone numbers and had no luck. I was also reading about how the LA Weight Loss was a scam and 20/20 had a special about the program. Also in Washington, LA Weight loss settled in a $10 million lawsuit. Is there anyone that can help me? I feel I should not owe them anything. I've been trying and doing some research for California but no luck. Please, I need help.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2009

Will I paid my membership 2006 had to have surgruy they they told me that I shouldn't start the program until I heal but every time I went in I ask to get my refund back and they would keep tell me to come back when I am felling beter I have paid for there bar's and drink infull but when I ask them if I can take them they told me to picke them up next time I come in since then I have had three surgerys three brothers pass away and most recent my husband has passed away so I will never get better all I want is my money back and the money they stil owe me they tell me that I should waite until I'am emotional ok will guess what that will never happen so if some can help me get my money back I would appaceate it I feel that they took advage of me because I had just had all my surgurys and the loss of my family members and my Husband

Original review: Sept. 30, 2009

I signed a contract and paid for it in full. Including as much time as I needed to lose 40 pounds and a maintenance plan. I also purchased $100 worth of the LA Lites bars that we were supposed to buy, but never got them because the store closed. I paid $500 for my weight loss plan and was only on it for 3 months before they closed and left no forwarding information. I am out a lot of money and would like to try to get some of it back.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2009

Before I paid my money to LA Weightloss I ask if they were going to go out of business, and they told me no. They told me that I could stay in the program as long as it took. I bought product after product totaling over $3,000. Went one to three times a week and was doing good not great. I liked the one on one, then they told me they were closing and I could do the program by phone. I tried it, but I needed to be held accountable so phoning didn't work. Since they closed I feel I should get half of my money back. I could have done Jenny Craig if I had wanted to do the program by phone. I have filled out on of these before, but never heard anything in return! I would like an answer back please!!!

Original review: Sept. 2, 2009

I became a member of LA Weight Loss and had to put my program on hold. I went back to pick up protein bars and protein shakes that I had prepaid, and they were closed. I called other centers in the Denver area and they too were closed. No letter, no phone call, nothing - to let the patients know of the scam they were running. This was an expensive program and I didn't see great results and I didn't have faith in the help. I don't think any of them were trained professional nutritionists or doctors. Nothing but people hired off the street. I felt they just wanted to push their weight loss products to make the money. What happens to all the clients who paid big bucks for a service and product that they never received? It isn't fair for the public to be taken advantage of in this way, not from LA Weight Loss or any other company. The State of Colorado should file a class action lawsuit against this company to get innocent, hard working people's money back, just like in the State of Washington.

Original review: July 24, 2009

I and several other people on this on the ConsumerAffairs.com website have money owed to us by LA Weight Loss, aka LA on the Go. Yes, no class action lawsuit has been filed to my knowledge. Is there one?

I initially joined LA Weight Loss (LAWL) on a program that would help me lose weight to a specific amount (which determined the $752.40), and then I would be given 6 weeks stabilization and 10 weeks maintenance. If I stayed within 5 pounds either way after 6 weeks, I would receive 1/4 of my $752.40, then if I stayed within 5 pounds either way of my goal weight, I would receive the other 1/4 of my $752.40. I received 1/4 of my $752.40, and then I inquired about if I could lose more weight on their special.

I asked if I would forfeit the second 1/4 of my $752.40. They told me no! They could freeze my program, help me lose the extra weight, then start 10 weeks of stabilization and then the last 6 weeks of maintenance over again. The final of the money would be given to me if I was within the 5 pounds (either way) of my new weight loss goal. Since then, LA Weight Loss closed their center in Maplewood and pushed me onto the LA on the Go program. I did not sign up for a phone consultation, but having no choice, I went with the flow. This hasn't been working for me; in fact, I've been gaining weight. No, I need help to get my refund.

LA Weight Loss breached their contact with me by removing the human personal consultant and now wanting to drop me altogether. My phone consultant hasn't called me for 4 weeks! I've left messages, and she doesn't reply to them either. I finally called the main switchboard today and doubt that she will call with the message either.

What can I do? Can you help me get my refund? This is a very poor business practice. I would either like a full refund of both amounts (minus the money I already received), a human personal consultant/trainer, or dietician! Please help me (or all of us) resolve this issue.

Original review: July 11, 2009

I paid for the services of the above-named company and they have since gone out of business. I paid in advance for their protein bars (used for weight loss and maintenance) picking them up as needed. Now that they have closed, I cannot collect the 25-30 boxes I did not pick-up. I found that the company is selling them online. What recourse do I have in getting my due?

Original review: June 20, 2009

LA Weight Loss entered into a contract with me in 2006 to provide services for their weight loss program and rebates when I got to certain parts of their program. After reaching my goal weight, I went on a year's maintenance program. I was supposed to receive a rebate in October 2008 after maintaining my weight six months (which I did, weighing in every week at their facility) and a second rebate for the second six months in April 2009, after working through the phone with their counselors because they closed their doors here. I have yet to receive either rebate and through their website, I emailed a request for help on this for the first rebate, which the manager of the facility I went to told me the rebate paperwork was submitted Sept. 2008. And in February 2009, they contacted me and requested that I fax over copies of my original contract, receipt and rebate form to them.

I faxed everything requested and have never heard from them again. I went over to their facility faithfully for two years and three months to weigh in, weighed all my food, journaled, etc. as my part of contract. Then they closed their doors in October 2008. Then I was supposed to get a counselor call every week through their "LA On the GO" alternative to closing their doors. After multiple calls with no answers, mailboxes full, etc., I finally got a live person and counselors started calling but counselors changed frequently because LA Weight Loss has been closing down their doors across the states. I stopped receiving counselor calls with no notice or explanation. I would ask my counselors every week if they found out anything about my rebate but of course it was always "No". I can't believe they are still advertising on the internet as if they are still legitimate and solvent! They are scamming people all over the US! Look at all the complaints below the LA Weight Loss website address!

I also checked with the Better Business Bureau and they have multiple complaints against LA Weight Loss, which LA Weight Loss never addresses or responds to. I understand the corporate office is in Pennsylvania. I utilized the Telegraph Canyon Road, Chula Vista, CA office until it closed. I'm not sure what to put on the address above since it's no longer there. LA Weight Loss was expensive and part of my incentive and motivation for going with this program was because of the rebates I was supposed to receive back and never did. I am very upset that even with a contract, I'm losing out on a few hundred dollars that I can certainly use, as it looks like many, many others are too and I don't know what can be done about it. Could this be a class action suit?

Original review: May 28, 2009

I joined this program in 2008-paid almost $1500. I became ill with gastrointestial problems and had to quit. I did not receive a refund. They still owe me maintenance and a refund on the bars.

Original review: May 19, 2009

Per the contract that I signed when I joined LA Weight Loss, I should receive 1/4 of my initial payment back after completing various stages of their program and maintaining within 5 lbs of my goal weight. I have completed all requirements on my end of the contract, including weekly "weight ins" at my local center. However, my local center has closed and I have been forced to move to weeky contact via e-mail, which I have still upheld. I should have received my 1 year rebate over 4months ago!! I continue to be ignored by representatives of the company despite my continuous requests and inquiries. There is no reason that this company should not be sued for what they are doing to consumers!

Original review: May 14, 2009

I wish I would have read or known about this crooked company before I joined the center. I spent several hundred dollars joining the weight loss plan with the goal of losing 25 lbs. And was promised one year of services. I was suckered into buying several hundred dollars of bars and was told that I had to pick them up at the center or I would have to pay additional shipping cost as no refunds were being granted. I have a pantry full of bars to this day. I have tried to call the customer service numbers (1-800331-4035 & 1-877-524-3571) several times and am not even able to leave a message. The e-mails I have sent are not being returned either. I just want the amount I spent on services refunded to me. At least pro rated for the amount I did not use. I just want to hear back from somebody somewhere. I have exhausted all other resources trying to get in touch with this darn company.

Original review: May 8, 2009

I signed a contract July 24, 2007 with LA Weight Loss in Escondido, CA. I was told that they were a franchise owned by a physician and they would always be there every step of the way. The inital contract was for 15 weeks of loss, 6 weeks of stabilization and 52 weeks of maintenance. I paid $839.35. I was told that I could always amend the contract to purchase more weight loss weeks (which I did) and that there would be rebates for keeping the weight off once I met my goal weight. Once would be paid out $164.85 at 6 months of maintenance and the other (same amount)at 12 months as long as I remained within 5 lbs. either way up/down of my goal.

About 2 weeks into my maintenance time I was told Escondido's office was closing and I would have to go to Oceanside or San Diego. Within a very short time I was told ALL centers were closing and that I should quickly get my prepaid products to make sure I had them and was offered to go on the LA On the Go plan which offered a weekly call from a counselor for weigh ins etc. I chose this option and waited for the call I was supposed to get by the end of the next week. The call never came. I tried calling NUMEROUS times and was told to wait and someone would call me (usually very rudely). I finally got to someone named Brittany who said she would be my counselor but she had to finish a call and would call me back within 10 mins. I didn't receive a call. I called again and was told she was at lunch and would call me. No call. This continued for several weeks until I FINALLY got Brittany again and told her what had happened. She said she didn't have my phone number but we started the weekly calls. She has been wonderful to work with - very supportive and helpful. Always calls on time and lets me know when she is taking a day off and won't be calling. This has happened several times. Generally for holidays - however one week she didn't call so I called the phone in number. It was disconnected. She called the next week and explained that she worked out of her home and gave me the number. Things have been going along fine. I passed my 6 month mark and she supposedly put in the request for my first rebate which she says takes up to 90 days to process. Two weeks ago I told her that I would be out of town for one call. She marked it on her calendar and said she would follow up the next week. I didn't receive a call. She doesn't respond to emails. So this week I waited. When 10 am - my call time passed I called her number. It rang many times and I finally got a computerized message that no one was available and to call back. I tried from another phone to see if maybe caller ID would make her answer. Same thing. I have been trying to call the 800 number for the head office for over an hour this morning and get nothing but a busy signal. I will keep trying but I am very upset and disillusioned. I have kept up all of the parts on my end of the contract and they are just hanging me out to dry without even letting me know. I would definitely be part of a lawsuit. It is amazing I got through the program - I made MANY complaints through the weight loss part. Basically it was a train wreck and it took my sheer will to stay with it but I did it. Now I am still due weeks/months of maintenance time on my contract AND my rebates.

LA Weight Loss Center Company Information