2. Movers

Pompano Beach, FL

Call Now Toll Free
Get a Quote
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.90/5

American Van Lines provides local and long-distance relocation services for residential and commercial clients. It offers partial and full packing and crating services and is able to transport specialty and high-value items. American Van Lines is family-owned and -operated and has been in business since 1995.

American Van Lines Video
American Van Lines Gallery (6)
American Van Lines Call Now Toll Free (888) 623-6291 Get a Quote
Call Now Toll Free

American Van Lines Reviews

1 featured review
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Original review: March 23, 2021

AVL was a little bit late in telling us when they were gonna come during our three-day window. It's always nice to have a little extra lead time to prepare but we didn't find out until the night before what day we were gonna move. But they came on time on the day that they were scheduled to move and did the move all in one day, even though it was across the state line. It was nice to get our stuff picked up and dropped off on the same day.

One piece of our furniture was missing and I had to call a few times to find it. Follow-up was a little bit difficult and the first few times I called about it, I was told I would get a call back within 48 hours and I did not. Then, they found the furniture and it's supposed to be mailed to us but it hasn't arrived yet and it's been a good two months since the move. We don't have any sort of tracking number or information on when it's supposed to arrive. Other than that, everything else about the process was fine. Also, everyone I spoke to on the phone was very professional, courteous, and helpful.

Original review: March 18, 2021

Our move from Virginia to Ark was subcontracted out from American Van Lines to Boost Express Van Lines out of Brooklyn, NY. All were Ukrainians many of whom were rude and rushed. Almost every box marked "Fragile' had broken glassware. Even an old butter churn they packed was broken in several pieces. Small pieces of furniture were broken. A rocking chair and a tv console worth several hundred dollars never showed up. Boxes of clothes on hangers were crushed and even plastic tubs were smushed and broken. Heavy boxes were placed on top of lightweight items.

Our movers drove all day and did not finish unloading until 1 am. Then they were to drive all night to Dallas so their unloading was extremely rushed. The movers did not communicate important information. I rented a Uhaul trailer to carry bagged bedding and other lightweight things after the movers arrived to pack and told me I would have to pay for numerous boxes to put all the lightweight bags in. I did not buy additional insurance because I knew American Van Lines had been around a long time and I thought they were a good company. I applied for the standard reimbursement for damaged and lost goods but I refused to accept their payment because it was hush money. I had to agree not to share any negative information about our move with social media or anyone else. I share this in the hopes that others will think twice before they use American Van Lines.

Original review: March 16, 2021

The internet is full of horror stories about moving companies, so I was nervous going into this, but I was very pleased with how it turned out. American Van Lines delivered what they promised—a quality move by courteous professionals. And they arrived at the destination very quickly (3 days), even though it was four states away and they had to battle snow and ice. None of our belongings were damaged, and the driver kept me updated throughout the process. I would use this company again!

Original review: March 15, 2021

Horrible company. Contracts are a mess – all digital (until you make a claim, then they mail a letter and contract as described below), the representatives insist they can’t alter even obvious errors. Little notice before pick-up, no notice before delivery at all (got a phone call in Target, so couldn't tape paper on the stairs or otherwise prepare). Their movers broke/scratched/otherwise damaged many things, then one of them asked for my number and called and texted me repeatedly while I tried to unpack. (When I texted him a suggestion that he find someone else, he immediately called me to insist that he wasn’t interested in me.)

Now (over half a year later), they won't honor the claim. They say the contract had to be signed within thirty days. However, they say they sent it in December, but it never arrived. I had to call them to ask what was going on. When they finally got the contract to me, it still had December’s date, so they tried to argue that I hadn’t signed within the required period. (Note: They are the ones who required a thirty-day turnaround, so they could waive that requirement.)

Moreover, their contract contained a blatantly illegal requirement that I delete or revise all negative reviews and never say anything bad about them. (The relevant law is the Consumer Review Fairness Act.) I hadn't actually made any, as I like to give companies a chance to fix their mistakes. AVL whiffed on that one. Overall, they make it incredibly difficult for people to do business with them. People who are moving do get pushed into difficult situations, but at least try to avoid getting pushed into working with AVL.

Original review: March 12, 2021

I went online, looked at some sites and comparisons, and American Van Lines came out first or second or third on most of the sites. They must have something going for them. Then the move went very well. The guys did a good job. The woman I talked to was very responsive to my questions.

Original review: March 11, 2021

The experience with American Van Lines was terrible. I originally had a scheduled date then I was called and asked if they could come three days earlier. I told them, “Yes, as long as I can still have it delivered at a reasonable time.” They guaranteed me that if they picked up on a Friday, we would have it by Tuesday. I never heard anything again from them. I kept trying to call and was told that the driver got sick.

Ultimately, I found out three weeks after the fact that they had unloaded our stuff, put it in a warehouse in another state then reloaded it again. They were overwhelmed. We did end up with the same driver that we started with and he was told that he had to go do another job. The day he picked up the stuff, he called and asked if he could come a day later then I never heard from him again. After he didn't show up when he was supposed to, I texted him, “Where's our stuff? What's going on?” He didn't reply. When he did finally deliver our stuff to us, he said, “I knew there was a problem, that you didn't know what was going on when you texted me. I called corporate immediately and told them they better fix it.”

The people that did the move were great on both ends, picking it up and delivering it. The problem part was in the office level. Nobody knew what the other person was doing. There was no communication between the driver, the dispatcher and the person who was supposed to be my consultant in the office. They were supposed to have been delivered August the 3rd but they were delivered September. We had a couple of chairs and an air mattress that we slept on, which wasn't good. We barely survived but it was not fun.

Original review: March 10, 2021

The moving coordinator wanted to deliver my furniture on Super Bowl Sunday. I had plans that I was gonna leave town that day and visit some friends, so I was a little annoyed with that. But she said she couldn't do anything about it and that was the way it was. Then it was interesting in the beginning when they asked to itemize what I was going to be needing to move, and I had done so. But then when they came, they didn't anticipate as many things as I had wanted them to move. I thought I communicated that, but maybe I didn't communicate it well. My bill went up by almost 50% from what I originally contracted with them. But in all fairness to them, they did a good job. The drivers at both ends were very nice. The people that were assisting them were also very polite. They were very efficient and they delivered everything with very little breakage. I was very satisfied with the move.

Original review: March 9, 2021

We talked to three different ones and American Van Lines was more responsive. They got back to my questions faster and they were national and well-established so we figured that there was plenty out there about them. They wouldn't be shady. The consultants were professional. Their estimate was really spot-on. Then the crew showed up, dug right in, and got all the stuff into one truck, which was amazing. Then the next day, we met them at the new house and they unloaded everything. Overall, they were very easygoing and took changes in stride. I didn't have everything packed up when they got there, but they were great about working around me as I finished.

Original review: March 8, 2021

My call was taken right away and all my questions were answered very timely. We had a little issue on the day of moving out. We had snow and ice and I didn't have anything to put down outside on the ice, except for some cat litter. Other products tend to hurt the concrete. We had an issue with tracking but the mover offered to pay for that, which was great. Also, I was really happy with the fact that when my items were picked up, they were delivered within a few days and throughout the process, I was kept well informed. And the estimate was very accurate. We added on a little bit at the end because there was a little bit of a walk from the drop-off point to my actual unit. It was understandable and I was really happy with knowing that I wasn't hit with a big increase.

Original review: March 3, 2021

The lady who assisted me, Rachel, was super helpful. I had some complications because I had my mom who lives with me who's 89 and I had to make sure this move went smoothly and I could get furniture when I needed it at the new house. The lady guided me through the whole process and explained the options. She listened and knew what I needed based on my explanation of what I was trying to get done.

The moving crew who handled the possessions was great. Everything got here safely and we didn't have anything damaged. The guys arrived on time to pack up the house and they were efficient. They got down here and unpacked everything. They were super nice to work with and they even let me direct where I wanted furniture and other things placed. So that was all an excellent experience. The lady I was supposed to call if I had any questions on move day or during transportation was equally nice and helpful. I ended up having to call her versus knowing in advance where the moving crew was and when they were going to be here the next day. Still, everything got moved great. I would call American Van Lines again if I needed to move.

American Van Lines Company Information