Get a Quote

2. Movers

Pompano Beach, FL

3.6/5 (103 ratings)

About American Van Lines

American Van Lines provides local and long-distance relocation services for residential and commercial clients. It offers partial and full packing and crating services and is able to transport specialty and high-value items. American Van Lines is family-owned and -operated and has been in business since 1995.

Pros

• Easy booking process
    • Storage options available
    • Flat-rate pricing system

Cons

• Some weight limits apply
    • No immediate online quotes

Bottom Line

American Van Lines’ state-to-state relocation costs are competitive and come with a pricing guarantee. The company requires deposits and has some weight limitations, but it might be worth it for the large fleet of shockproof vehicles.

American Van Lines Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Van Lines?

Original review: Aug. 5, 2021

Do not hire American Van lines. To start they promised me a price, scheduled my move. After going with their offer over others because price and reviews seemed optimal, they raised their price by $400. That was just the beginning of the American Van Lines nightmare. The movers showed up at my house a day earlier than initial informed and planned, and it was late in the day. They were packing until 1am and were so tired they could move the truck out of my street and had to sleep in front of my house. I had my possessions moved into storage while I was closing on my new house.

A few months later after closing, I went to retrieve my belongings. I was not there when they were delivered. I found a significant amount of damage that seems either intentional or massively negligent. They dropped a high end TV. They Rolled a marble table cracking all the edges (Even after I specifically noted and paid for it to be wrapped and handled with care), they broke the prongs off the bottom of a restoration hardware couch, uncovered part of the leather. Broke other misc items. Then me reaching out, they didn't respond to me for over 2 months. AVL told the BBB that I had signed off on my items were in good condition when delivered, which never happened. All in all they broke/damaged over 20k in belongings, have taken no accountability. I had insurance via my home policy but they don't cover mover negligence, only natural disasters or theft. Pay more for a better company, don't use American Van Lines.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2021

If you're moving across the country and like being charged an outrageous fee, breakage of irreplaceable family heirlooms, missing possessions, and a "Moving Broker", not a "Moving Company". Then this is the company for you. The first contact is with a sales rep and they are so nice and very service oriented. It was a great first contact. He was very informative. Answered all my questions. It was a great hook. It caught this fish, but good. But what they don't tell you caused a huge amount of unnecessary stress and anguish. After that it went downhill from there.

Contractors showed up on the day of the move. Their reason for hiring outside men was so that they could weigh my belongings and charge me the fee according to weight. Yes, I was told that, but you aren't present for the weigh in. The contractors tagged items, packed them in a huge moving box & then tagged the box. That's double tagging to drive the price up. Ended up, they said I have over 3,000 items & that was the reason for the increase in the price. I called several times to complain, but just got a voicemail. By then, I was stuck. They had my whole household on a truck and it was gone.

Direct contact with the company, was impossible. It was email only from them from this point on. However, I did get a three day window for a deliver time with no sense of when the actual delivery date would be. When I did hear from a different "Contractor", at 6 pm, the day before delivery; it was a less than 24 hour notice, & they wanted a credit card or cashier's check for over $9,000, or they would not deliver the rest of my belongings, for an 8 am delivery time. I told them they would have to wait so I could get to my bank & get a cashier's check for the remainder of the fee & not to leave until I met up with them to receive my belongings. The whole process was insane.

They moved my belongings, from what I can count a minimum of four times, which caused a lot of damage and missing items. Family crystal was broken, antique phonograph cylinder records were broken, lampshades crushed, Smart TV screen scratched, furniture scratched, Kitchen boxes missing, metal candle holder stand missing. Again, tried to call the so called "Moving Company", with no response or resolution to my issues. My advice, move it yourself. It may be a headache at first, but it is well worth it in the end. The cost is a lot less. You have the safety that you know your belongings will be packed properly with far less damage, total control of where your belongings are at all times, & when belongings will be delivered safely.

Original review: July 31, 2021

The person that we first talked to with American Van Lines was fabulous. We went from St. Augustine here to Cincinnati and the team that packed us was excellent. We had three people pack. That was efficient. They were wonderful and pleasant. The people that unloaded our stuff were down to just two. They were kind of overworked, and it was not as good an experience. They were certainly polite but there should have been three for that big a load. Also, we were packed on the 28th but did not get our stuff until the 10th. That was too long. We were originally promised the 3rd. We were offered $60 in compensation and that's kind of silly when we spent less than $1,000.

Resolution response: Aug. 22, 2021

Although the truck did not leave between 8/7-8/8, we were told that the truck would move the following weekend (8/14-8/15) or early that following week. Surprisingly, on 8/16 we got a call from what must have been dispatch or the people delivering and we were told that the movers would be coming the following day, 8/17, between 12-3pm to deliver our stuff. They were even notified to apply the discount we were told via email communication and this came out to be $30 off every day that the delivery was late.

The movers actually came around 4:30pm-5pm to drop off. They didn't assemble our furniture nor take all wrapping and materials they used to secure our furniture, leaving us with a lot of trash and some work to assemble our furniture. In the end, we received all of our belongings, nothing was damaged, and we received the discount. However, the whole experience was miserable and deceptive. We are just happy to have all of our stuff nearly a month and half later.

Original review: July 29, 2021

Disappointing and horrible experience with American Van Lines. We scheduled a move months in advance from SF to Chicago in July. Although they came on time during the agreed upon 3 day range (they came on 7/7) and we received calls and communication scheduling this, it has been a nightmare on the other end. After being told repeatedly from American Van Lines staff that 7 days is the average amount of time for our moving zones (from CA to IL), our belongings have not arrived within the delivery estimates. Sleeping on an air mattress for 3 weeks at this point when expecting 1 week has been miserable. We are terrified by the other reviews of missing and damaged belongings and overall horrific experiences that numerous people have had. After receiving an update yesterday (7/28) regarding our delivery, I was told that it has not even left CA yet!!! The date that the truck is supposed to leave CA is now between 8/7-8/8.

Mind you that 7/31 was the end date of our delivery range estimate. It has been over 3 weeks since they took our stuff from CA and supposed to have delivered in IL. We have paid $5,000 for this company to basically hold our things hostage with no transparency nor accountability. It would have been cheaper and much less of a hassle to just get an U-Haul and drive that distance at this point. Please do not work with this company if you can avoid it. They give you a low estimate comparatively upfront but then give you a horrible and harrowing experience after the fact. It's worth putting in more money, if possible, with a company that is more upfront and has a better reputation. I will be sure to let everyone I know not to work with this company.

Original review: July 21, 2021

American Van Lines used two different crews, one at the West Des Moines end, and the other at the Illinois end. In the West Des Moines end, there were a couple of guys who were good, and one of them brought teenaged kids that were terrible. They were packing huge boxes full of books that would break on the way to the van because it was packed improperly. When I watched it, one teenager was throwing the books in. I tried to tell him that he's supposed to stack them up and use smaller boxes, and he wouldn't listen to me. He wasn't supervised. It was too bad because the man who brought them was a hard worker, and I really liked him.

I had a hard time understanding the supervisor and he seemed to not understand our being around. He kept saying he wished he could do this on his own, that we weren't just sitting there. He seemed very uncomfortable with people watching him. He spent a lot of time in the truck. Then he would be moving boxes once in a while.

On the end over here in Illinois, the crew was excellent. Once again, Todd was kind of an oddball. He made sure in the beginning that we didn't think that he was our clerk. I interacted with the crew because I'm a friendly person, and he didn't like that because he's their boss, so that threatened him. We were wary of each other. At the end, I had gone through and shared with him my emotions, and he had at all times remained professional. If he had any bad feelings, he held it in.

Then he couldn't find a box and he was getting very frustrated. I was in a better mood and I told him that it would be alright and that he'd find it. Everybody calmed down. About three minutes later, he found it, and that was the turning point for him and me. We came to an understanding at the end of the whole job. Moving is a horrendously emotional thing and everybody's on edge. But when somebody brings a teenaged kid, they gotta supervise them, or don't bring them, or maybe it shouldn't even be allowed. The supervisor needed to constructively do something with those kids that day.

Original review: July 15, 2021

Fights, Firearms, Damages. American Van Lines has to be the least professional national moving company you can hire. We paid 13k for our move from El Paso TX to La Jolla CA and had a nightmare of an experience and the company could care less. Avoid them at all costs. Our driver got into a physical altercation with his hired helpers and then flashed a pistol he had on his belt in our home. His helpers abandoned the move halfway through leaving the American Van Lines driver to finish the job by himself, he then dragged our heavy expensive furniture across our travertine and cherry wood floors damaging both the floors and the furniture.

It didn't end there, the driver decided not to use the shuttle truck we paid $1,000 in advance for and got his semi trailer stuck in our yard destroying landscaping and lighting. He slept in his truck blocking the only in and out access to our home and since emailing and calling American Van Lines we have not heard back from their careless and unprofessional customer service department. If you care about your family's safety and the condition of your property please avoid this horrendous company. American Van Lines is what's wrong with American customer service today. Avoid at all costs!

Original review: July 14, 2021

Not knowing what time they were coming until the night before was very stressful, although I found that all the companies do that. Other than that, the actual movers were terrific. I was surprised to see the same movers in Texas when they dropped my stuff off and it was comforting.

Resolution response: July 13, 2021

Management reached out to me and we have come to an amicable resolve. Thank you Yesenia.

Original review: July 13, 2021

MOVER BEWARE - think twice before hiring American Van Lines!! The most stressful move ever - if you like a late pick up, chaos, lack of communication, frustration and unexpected expenses use American Van Lines. I chose American Van Lines for my long distance move from Arizona to Florida based on their "customer service" reviews. I realize COVID has made moving very difficult but communication is key. Customer Service and Communication from American Van Lines was almost non-existent, making for an extremely stressful move. They SELDOM answer their phone, even the customer service line. You have to leave a message in hopes they will call back. The only other call initiated by them was when they wanted payment - 2 calls at same time from them. You can never talk with a "manager". They just send you to another rep.

When I booked and paid my deposit to secure the dates, I told the booking agent my "drop dead had to be out date" as my house was sold. He gave me a 3 day window, promising they NEVER miss their window. They did call, as promised, about 3 days prior to get an updated inventory list and was told they would call about 24 hours prior to pick up to confirm the time. Here is where it goes wrong:

Having NOT heard from them, I started calling the first day at 845am - FINALLY talking with someone 3 hours later - when she casually informs me that "you are not scheduled to be picked up until the 21st" - the day AFTER the 3 day window! Did they not look at the Binding Estimate to see they missed the pickup window??? Why would they not call me immediately to inform me they were running late??? I FINALLY got a call back Fri evening to say it has now been pushed back to Wed - 3 days late now. Again, I explained my situation and their response was, "I am sorry. Don't you have someone that can be there?" There is a lot that goes on with a long distance move and the owner should be there overseeing it, not a friend.

The excuse was that the driver needed to get a "piece of paper" signed. (The piece of paper was signed on Friday, yet there was still a 4 day delay. On Monday she promised she would call me back to confirm the new pick up date and discuss compensation. She did - the new pick up date was now THURSDAY (4 days late) and compensation is, wait hold on, $30/day! I told her I also had the expense of a hotel room for 5 nights for the person who was going to meet the movers, since the house was packed up.

The driver was kind and courteous and caught in the middle, as was my friend who oversaw the move. For a long distance move it is best to have the owner there. I was told I could keep my clothes in the dressers and they would shrink wrap it to move. Much to my surprise, my clothes were packed into boxes (more charges). Again, I was not there to see what was happening. In summary, be prepared to be inconvenienced and aggravated. PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR INVOICE - and all the packing charges. The bid is written one way and the invoice is written another - very confusing.

As for the "compensation" I should have received $120 for being 4 days late plus the hotel expense of $650 for 5 hotel nights. The total compensation should have been $770 but They have a cap of $500. So I GOT TO PAY an extra $270 for THEIR MISTAKE. They know they have you over a barrel so they don't truly care about customer service. American Van Lines is a very unprofessional company. Look for another moving company with a similar name.

Original review: June 30, 2021

I wanted to move a couple of items long distance and a lot of people didn't want to do it. Everybody was turned off by the piano. AVL was one of the few companies that said they would move it. The rep I worked with to set up the move was phenomenal and the driver and this other guy were amazing. Their truck died in front of my house after they loaded the few items up and they were really cool about it. They didn't stress and they just handled it. Also, they were extremely respectful and thoughtful. They're the best movers I ever had. I'm in the process of moving from Chicago to Florida and I'm going to have to do another move. I'm thinking I only want them.

Original review: June 29, 2021

Everything with AVL was first class. We were assigned someone that would keep our account straight. That changed a couple of different times as we got near our time to be packed. We had a full load as far as packing, loading, bringing our goods down, and unpacking and our driver, Joey, was outstanding. He did everything in a timely fashion. We got a little jammed up for time because of a stubborn person that was buying our home and he made it happen. It was great. Then, when we got down here, he did more work than the fellows that they hired to help him. The crew left at 5 o'clock and they left him alone. He was here working till about 8 o'clock at night. He was very dedicated and he’d be a fine representative.

American Van Lines Company Information