3.1/5 (1886 ratings)

About Pyrex Cookware

Pyrex Cookware Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pyrex Cookware?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pyrex Cookware?

Original review: May 10, 2020

I have been using Pyrex glass bakeware for more than 25 years and never had an experience like this. I was baking chicken (cut into small pieces) when the dish suddenly exploded in the oven! I was so glad no one was hurt, but I was shocked and very shook up. There was nothing left but a big mess of very small glass pieces. Of course, my chicken dinner went in the trash too. It was a big, disappointing mess to clean. It took so long to get all the glass out. I had to remove the lower panel of the oven to get it all out & think there may still be some pieces down there that I couldn't get to. I got a cut even though I was wearing gloves. Times are tough and we are tight on money. I just wish I could get some compensation for my exploded dish plus my free-range chicken dinner. Thank you.

Original review: May 7, 2020

Tonight was baking chicken breast in my Pyrex square cooking dish. When 45 minutes into a 1 hour bake the glass cooking dish shattered in hundreds of pieces... I have used this dish dozens of times before with no issue... Info: Dish was taken out of cabinet at room temperature. Sprayed with non stick PAM. Preheated oven to 400 degrees. Chicken breast were seasoned and placed in dish. 45 minutes into the bake I heard a loud noise coming from the oven. Investigating, I found the dish shattered and smoke rolling out due to food juices frying on the bottom of the oven. Could not trust food at this point and discarded it. I own approximately 8 other Pyrex baking dishes and have not experienced any issues with those. Pyrex is a good product at a fair price. Hope this was an isolated incident.

Original review: April 21, 2020

Pyrex is well-established as a brand. Their glass heats evenly, holds heat in well after cooking, and never imparts any smell or taste. The plastic rubberized lids also fit snugly, and all Pyrex holds up well in the dishwasher.

Original review: April 20, 2020

The all glass makes cooking a breeze! Just spray with cooking spray and they are completely non-stick which makes clean up a breeze. The Covers fit snug so no worries of spilling anything. Some come with carrying cases that have hot/cool pads in with your dish to keep the perfect temperature! I couldn’t live without mine!

Original review: April 17, 2020

Always looks new. Modern style and oven safe. I spray with Pam and is nonstick. Dishwasher safe. Doesn't stain. I purchased over 15 years ago and I still have the full items and haven't had to replace a single item. Great for pot licks at my friends gathering. Can't be beat for durability. Price 15 years ago was a little high but I still have the complete set that I purchased 15 years ago. One more thing you can take it from the stove/oven to the dinner table and with a hot pad and place it for everyone to dig in!

Original review: April 14, 2020

Pyrex is great quality, very durable, does not stain and is great for many uses in the kitchen and for families. I love the versatility of the bowls for cooking, storing, and reheating and they do not break easily. They look the same as new after many uses.

Original review: April 11, 2020

Very strong glass quality that can withstand extreme hot to cold or vice versa temperatures. Plus seeing thru is super nice. And it lasts a lifetime and durability. The only problem is its heavy weight that I don't mind.

Original review: April 9, 2020

I have to buy new lids way too often and I’m throwing away money, they crack and I wash them by hand not in the dishwasher. The glass part of the bakeware is great, the plastic storage lids are not so great.

Original review: April 8, 2020

Love Pyrex but, the glass cookware is kinda expensive and not widely available. It's sturdy for everyday use but, if you drop it or hit a corner it will crack or break as it's glass. Heats up fast and you can watch it through the glass but, cooked on baked on, needs to be soaked overnight or boiled off. Elbow grease works.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2020

Very thick, baking dish exploded after removal from oven. I'm not sure about the age, but I suspect this was an older Pyrex from the 80s or 90s. Unlike most of my other Pyrex, this was much heavier and thicker. I prepared a dish to be baked--placed in the refrigerator for 24 hours. The temperature was set at approx 36 degrees F. I removed the dish from the refrigerator, allowed it to adjust to room temperature for approx 2.5 hours sitting on a stone countertop. Placed in the oven at 375 degrees for 45 minutes. Removed from oven, place on glass stovetop for 15 minutes to cool. Walked away for a few minutes, I heard a very loud BANG, returned to see the entire tray exploded and cracked into hundreds of pieces. Glass went everywhere in the form of mini-shards.

I'm confident I used the cookware along with recommended guidelines while minimizing temperature extremes. Never in 20 years of cooking have I ever had glass cookware spontaneously shatter--this was very scary and easily very dangerous. Disposal of the glass shards covered in dense food was difficult and easily dangerous to the handler---this required handling very thick, sharp, heavy pieces.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I purchased a new 1 cup Pyrex measuring cup. It was never heated. It exploded in the dishwasher.. I consider this to be a spontaneous event. Our dishwasher - actually every dishwasher I have ever had - has never shattered glass...

Original review: Nov. 28, 2019

We recently purchased two 9.5 inch pie dishes for making pies from Walmart. My wife made an apple pie for Thanksgiving and put it in the oven at 375 degrees for 50 minutes. She removed the dish and set it on top of the oven on a cookie sheet. About 3 seconds and kaboom! It exploded and threw glass shards all over my wife and the kitchen. Luckily she had turned her back and was walking away or she would have been severely injured! Very dangerous! We do not recommend using this product and feel it should be taken off the market before someone ends up in the hospital!

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I washed my Pyrex pie plate and placed it in the dish rack. When I was emptying the rack I picked up the pie plate and it fell apart in my hand. I'm still finding pieces of it around the sink. Until I read everyone else's reviews I thought I had done something wrong, but now I realize that the product itself was defective. It hadn't even been in the oven, only used for breadcrumbs to dip chicken cutlets! Very surprised. I've always trusted Pyrex.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2019

I was baking a squash in a Pyrex pan, which was placed in the oven after it began pre-heating to 375 degrees. Not less than ten minutes later I heard a loud explosion and I found the entire 9x13 pan had exploded. I had to buy a shop vac to clean it out as there was no safe way to clean it up otherwise. After many attempts at cleaning every nook and cranny I still can hear glass shards exploding when I try and bake, at which point I give up on using my oven and set aside more time for trying to find more tiny pieces of glass (and throw out whatever food I may have been trying to bake in my oven). Very disappointing that the amount of "thermal shock" this product is rated for is 99 degrees when it is SO COMMONLY USED IN THE OVEN. It is absurd, negligent, and dangerous. I shouldn't walk away from a kitchen product malfunction relieved that it only made my oven unusable and didn't blind or injure me.

I have only owned this pan for a few months and used it a maximum of half a dozen times. It has been well cared for, washed carefully, used properly, and it had no chips or cracks. Given the squash is not frozen or very liquid I presume that I was using this product as intended (and in the past I have used older, boro-silicate Pyrex to make squash in exactly this way without issue). I will no longer be purchasing products of any kind from Pyrex, regardless of whether I plan on using them for baking. I will strongly encourage friends and family to find a safe alternative to this brand.

Original review: June 28, 2019

My husband took the baking dish with our hamburgers out of the 375 degree oven to flip them over after eight minutes (burgers were room temperature, as was pan when we put it in the oven); as he was removing the pan from the oven, it exploded while he was holding the pan. He had not even got it fully out of the way of the oven door when we heard the very loud pop and it exploded around him. Thankfully, nothing exploded up into his eyes or face ~ hot grease and searing hot glass is not a recommended facial product. We are not throwing out anything Pyrex. Measuring cups, baking dishes. Pyrex is banned in our house as far as we are concerned. Him or our cats could have been seriously hurt from flying grease and hot glass.

Original review: May 29, 2019

This is the second time Pyrex has shattered, once the pan was just sitting in the cupboard, I went to reach for it and it was completely shattered. Today I took out a cherry dessert out of the refrigerator and went to cut a piece and the whole thing exploded all over my counter, floor everywhere small shards of glass, thank God it didn’t go into my eyes or face. Please everyone get rid of it before someone is seriously injured.

Original review: May 10, 2019

I had 2 Pyrex dishes in the oven. I removed one and placed it on the stove then removed the other as I reached over to turn off the oven. There was a loud pop. Both dishes shattered hundred taking 2 day to find and clean all up from under stove between cabinets.

Original review: May 5, 2019

Dish exploded shortly after taking out of the oven and sitting on the counter. Glass flew all over the kitchen along with the food. I have other Pyrex containers that I am afraid to use. Dish was recently purchased. Had only been used a few times. I had just turned my back when it exploded or otherwise I would have a face full of glass.

Original review: April 28, 2019

My husband was making a tenderloin in the oven. Close to the time we were hoping to eat, there was a loud noise. Found out when he opened the oven that the Pyrex dish had exploded. Shards and small pieces of glass were all over the bottom of the oven. This was an older dish, thought that might have been the issue. Had to throw away an extremely large part of the tenderloin. Very disappointing. Will toss the rest of my Pyrex and use metal from now on. Would hate to have someone hurt by this. I asked the husband what the oven temperature was, he said 450. This is listed online as supposed to be okay. Obviously not!!!

Original review: April 24, 2019

I was hand washing the measuring cup in warm water after mixing something in it. It just exploded, cutting me in several places. I had not put it in the microwave or oven so not thermal shock. Item less than 6 months old.

Original review: April 18, 2019

This product needs to be banned. If the knee wall had not been there I would have been possibly killed. Got cuts in neck and arm and cleaning up one shard so sharp penetrated my shoe and got an infection from it. I have baked in Pyrex for years and never had an incident such as this. Bought this pie plate one year ago from Amazon. When I was defrauded of my home I lost my long-standing collection of Pyrex cookware and this was a replacement. I did not realize that the formulation had changed. All of it is going out in the trash. Broken up so no one retrieves it and it can't harm anyone else.

Original review: April 2, 2019

A Pyrex Bowl sitting upon a metal wire shelf in my kitchen just spontaneously exploded! I thought, “No way! How did this happen?” It fractured. Into hundreds upon hundreds of miniature pieces. This is not the usual breakage pattern customarily found in broken glass. It simply burst apart. How bizarre! The bowl had even been used. The air temperature in the kitchen was rising because the oven was on. I’m not sure if if cooler air passed across the exploding vessel, but it simply disintegrated. Very weird.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Placed the Pyrex baking pan of apple slices on my dryer to cool. Within a couple of minutes later I heard a large explosion resulting in glass shattered everywhere. I thought I had done something wrong but now that I hear the consumer reports it concerns me. I am very disappointed in Pyrex. They should make this right. They're denying the fact this is happening because they're using a cheaper material. I have four grandchildren that were here at the time and they could have been seriously injured.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

I thought it was me, maybe I had the dish in the oven too long. The first time I cooked cornbread sat the glass on the counter and got ready to taste the cornbread and started hearing a crackling noise - basically shattered from the bottom to the top. The second time I made some Lasagna and soon as I picked up the glass sat it on the metal part of the sink cause it was so hot it broke all in the sink & my food was everywhere. Then I thought maybe this was not to be used in the oven cause it was the second time!

I bought a 3 piece set from Walmart a couple years ago, and the very large one and med one both exploded on me. I was shocked due to I never seen anything like it. So I stopped using glassware period in the oven and had to go out and buy nonstick pans which I really don't like using due to they're harder to clean than glass. So I only have one left and have not baked in it due to this. Lucky at that time none of my children or my dog was in the kitchen.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I had two Pyrex dishes explode in one night. I have never experienced this before. I took the first one out of the oven and put it on the flat surface area that was room temperature and it immediately shattered throwing shards of glass and small pieces into the air onto the counter and onto the floor. I took the second one out which was a meatloaf type pan and put it on a towel first thinking that maybe the counter surface was too cold. I then realized it’s probably too hot to leave on a towel, so because it had not exploded yet, I rested it on the counter and about a minute later it exploded throwing shards of glass into the sink and on the floor and several feet from where it had exploded.

In fairness to Pyrex I never experienced this before and I had a lot of things in The oven and I had coated the pans with a non-stick cooking spray which I had never done before, I had always use some type of oil or butter. I don’t know if the non-stick cooking spray heat things to a hotter temperature which may have caused the problem or possibly with the amount of things that I was cooking in the oven maybe the combined heat was just too much. Either way it was a dangerous situation.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Happened today. Didn't know where else to post this to help others make an informed decision. I washed the dish before I left for work and placed it on my stovetop to dry. The dish, stove, weather, everything was normal temperature wise for the island of Trinidad, in the Caribbean (30°c). When I came home about 6 hours later, the dish was lying broken in sharp pieces and shards, some were very small and almost all very sharp. They were strewn approximately up to 15 feet away on the floor. The dish was marked "pyrex" in common letters, and said "Made in USA". It was part of a 2 piece set with plastic covers.

From my research after the incident, I understand this dish is made from soda lime silicate instead of the stronger Borosilicate which was originally used for PYREX. I am throwing away the other dish. I try not to think what could have happened to me had I been anywhere near the dish when it exploded. So yes, it happened to me too, the dish was cool, unabused, rarely used, when it exploded. That this happened is absolutely ridiculous and I have no difficulty believing the materials used in my dish was not safe for me to have in my home.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2019

I have always used Pyrex but not anymore. I purchased this casserole bakeware in 2017. This morning one of my Pyrex casserole dishes exploded. It was clean, laying flat on my counter. It was room temperature for at least 24 hours. The explosion was rather large as glass went everywhere including in my garbage disposal. I'm throwing All of my Pyrex away. I had no idea this was an issue until it happened to me. Pyrex should have a recall due to potential danger to consumers.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I have had two negative experiences with my Pyrex casserole pans. The first pan a few years ago spontaneously exploded in the oven. It sounded like a bomb went off in our kitchen. The only damage done was a ruined dinner, a dirty oven that had to be cleaned and a lot of broken glass. My second experience was a bit more serious. I had left my largest Pyrex casserole pan out on the countertop to dry after being hand washed.

Several hours later I went to place the then dry pan into the cupboard when it suddenly shattered in my hands for no reason!! A large broken piece fell onto my right foot cutting my foot so severely that it instantly severed the tendons in my foot and I began to bleed very heavily. Both my right and left foot also had very painful bruising. After an evaluation with a surgeon I had to undergo painful surgery to repair the tendon and now physical therapy so I can walk again. I cannot drive because I cannot use the pedals and therefore cannot always get to work at my job where I am on my feet the entire time. I also have a farm and now have to rely on family members to make sure my animals are cared for. I feel the company is responsible for my severe injury. I am not the only victim this had happened to. I was told at the hospital.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Wife was removing a Pyrex brand baking dish from oven after cook time had completed. Upon placing dish on cork pads atop counter before she was able to release her grip on the dish it exploded in her hands cutting her on the wrist, chin and under her eye.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

My husband was making squash in the oven (simply roasting it at 400 degrees with a little water). Half-way through it exploded. What a mess and expense. This is the second Pyrex dish to explode. I've thrown all other Pyrex products away and invested in Le Creuset.

Pyrex Cookware Company Information