1.20/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution
Looking for new cookware?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 18, 2017

1612 Pyrex Cookware Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I had company over to the house for a lasagna dinner and after spending a lot of money on the ingredients and cooking in the oven for almost 1 hour, the attached pictures show the end results. I had just taken it out of the oven, turned around for a quick second (thankfully) and the 8 1/2 x 14 Pyrex dish shattered all over my kitchen. I have never experienced this before and it was not an experience I want to relive. The glass went everywhere and needless to say all of the food was ruined. Pizza was ordered and I swore off ever owning Pyrex brand products again.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Pyrex Easy Grab 8-Piece Glass Bakeware and Food Storage Set - I was baking yams in the largest pan. After I took the pan out of the oven and set it on top of the oven, it exploded. Shards of glass scattered all over the kitchen, as far as seven feet away. I am very lucky that I wasn't hurt and especially lucky that a shard of glass didn't end up in my eye! Unacceptable!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Until this happened to me yesterday, I'd never heard of the Exploding Pyrex issue. I made a batch of mac-n-cheese on the stovetop, then wanted to bake it at 350 for about 20 minutes to finish it off. The Pyrex pan I used was fairly new, maybe a few years old. I've hardly used it, as I don't make many casseroles that need to be baked in the oven. I put the mac-n-cheese in the pan and set it on the oven rack. No more than five minutes later, there was a tremendous boom from the oven, which was the pan exploding into hundreds of tiny pieces.

Having googled this business and reading up on other reports, I can verify there was no undue stress placed on the pan. I am familiar with thermal shock, but this didn't happen. The pan was room temp. The mac-n-cheese was warm but by no means hot - Hell's Bells, I was taste-testing the stuff out of the stovetop pan with a spoon so it couldn't have been overly hot. The oven was preheated. The pan was essentially new, used maybe a couple of times. The pan has never been dropped or bumped. I can't explain how this happened, but I can assure readers of this review that EVERY piece of Pyrex in my house is going in the trash today. If this pan had shattered when I was lifting it out of the oven, it would have been all over me with glass shards and hot melted cheese.

I consider myself lucky there was no injury, but the mess in the oven was extraordinary. I had to scoop up the gloppy glass-and-cheese mess from the bottom of the oven, as well as shop vac the interior to get the rest of the glass shards, then apply a lot of elbow grease to clean up the oven racks and interior. It took over two hours to clean up. As this pan is several years old, I don't have the receipt anymore.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I was badly burned using a Pyrex dish in my microwave. This is NOT MICROWAVE SAFE, like it indicates on the bottom of this dish. Pyrex is no longer be a TRUSTED NAME. This is the second MISHAP using Pyrex. The first MISHAP happened right after washing another Pyrex dish, I was towel drying it and it SHATTERED right in my hands! You must recall all your products before a HORRIFIC accident happens.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I used my Pyrex 2 cup measuring cup yesterday evening to measure room temperature ingredients. I washed the cup in warm water and set it on a paper towel on my countertop to dry. Sometime during the night, the cup spontaneously shattered. While most of the glass remained where it shattered, small glass shards were dispersed onto the floor and across the counter. Scary, especially as this event did not involve any kind of rapid temperature change.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pyrex Cookware?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Our family's 9x13 Pyrex casserole dish exploded loudly while in the oven cooking chicken at 425. Glass shards went everywhere and the RV we live in was full of smoke. The explosion was very loud and frightening. I cut myself 4 times cleaning up the entire mess. No dinner for us now! I am angry!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Shattered Macaroni. It's a horrible shame how my family had to sit through an explosion of glass shattering in my oven. My poor dog barked hysterically, and all I could do was turn the oven off until the popping stopped.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I was cooking a ham in my Pyrex baking dish and it exploded when I had pulled the rack out to move the ham slices around. I picked the big pieces up and put them on a pizza pan that I had sitting out and left it on the oven door to cool off. 5-10 minutes later it exploded again. This time the handle exploded into tiny pieces. When I had called to make a complaint the lady told me there needs to be water or some kind of liquid in the bottom of the pan so the heat is even throughout the pan??? Whatever you say lady! If that's the case why would the handle explode? So the rest of the pan that is dry with no liquid or food touching it is not safe?! Seems like they have a list of excuses ready for the people that call in. My husband also got cut up cleaning up the mess this caused. After reading all the reviews I'm surprised that there hasn't been a class action lawsuit yet!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Bought small glass Pyrex bowls with dark blue lids to store canned cat food; for refrigerator use only. Took one out the other night and went to scoop contents into cats bowl when it EXPLODED into many, many pieces. I was cut on two of my fingers and heel of my foot by when I stepped back to make sure cat did not get hurt. OMG... I have read many complaints of explosion with temp. changes but this occurred without that. PLEASE be careful people!!! NO MORE PYREX FOR ME, cannot take the risk of major injury. Awful.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

My large size glass Pyrex measuring cup (64 oz. size) exploded yesterday while preparing a Labor Day side dish. I placed a stick of butter into the glass Pyrex measuring cup and heated it in the microwave for 40 seconds. I removed it from the microwave and as I turned around while holding it at waist level and headed toward the kitchen table, the Pyrex exploded in my hand. The glass handle was still in my hand, but the rest of this large size glass measuring cup was in shards all over the floor in the kitchen and even reached through the doorway to the living room on the carpet.

That wasn’t even the worst of it. Trying to get the butter that was all over kitchen was quite the task. I only had a small cut on top of my foot (I was in bare feet) from a projectile piece of glass. I never had this happen to me before. It was quite startling and loud too! From now on, I am doing it the old-fashion way and melt the butter on the stove in a sauce pan. I have been using Pyrex for 30 years. What happened to them being oven/microwave/dishwasher safe?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

My wife was cooking breakfast this morning and put bacon in a Pyrex baking dish and put it in the oven. The oven temperature was set at 425F which should not be an issue for what Pyrex claims their products can withstand. After 20 minutes of the Pyrex being in the oven my wife pulled it out and put it on the stove. The burner did happen to be on medium from her previously cooking on it. I walked into the kitchen approximately 5 mins after she had placed the Pyrex on the stove top and happen to be standing right next to the Pyrex baking dish as it exploded.

I say exploded confidently due to the loud noise the Pyrex made as it shattered and threw glass from my kitchen to the other side of my dining room leaving melted holes in the carpet and marks on the linoleum of my rented apartment. My wife standing only 3 feet away ended up with a shard in her foot luckily only a minor injury came of it. I previously read on here that Douglas S. Arnold stated "We want to assure you that neither PYREX glass bakeware nor other glass bakeware 'explodes.' Glass does not explode but it can break. As glass bonds break, people may hear a noise and be surprised." If you have experienced this it is obviously not true and maybe Arnold himself has not had the same events some of us have unfortunately had to deal with.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I purchased two Pyrex baking dishes about 3 months ago from Wal-Mart. I've used the dishes several times; however, when using one of the dishes today, 8/27/2017, it exploded in the oven! I was baking chicken at 350 degrees, and it had been in the oven for about 20 minutes when it suddenly exploded! There were no cracks in the dish, there were no sudden temperature changes, etc. So I have no idea of why this happened. We now have glass not only in our food, but also all over the oven.

We're now on our way out to get take out because our dinner is now ruined! We're not taking chances on possibly having glass in our food. I'm now reading other complaints from users who have experienced the exact same problem and I have to say, this is not a good thing for the company reputation. Is there any compensation that users can expect to receive due to this happening? You can be guaranteed, I will NEVER purchase anything from Pyrex ever again and I'm definitely letting everyone I know to avoid Pyrex at all costs!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Bought a new box of Pyrex dishes. Was giving them an initial rinse in soapy water, however 2 pieces were stuck together. I attempted to pull them apart only to have them explode slicing a huge chunk out of the tip of my thumb! I was lucky this happened in my sink under water so I did not have pieces shoot up at me. I instantly grabbed a dish towel to attempt to clot the bleeding. I did not realize this was a thing until I told a co-worker about it the next day! To say the least I did return these and will never purchase another Pyrex. I cannot trust them now knowing how lucky I was I did not get more cuts!

Resolution response: Oct. 8, 2017

I emailed Pyrex about my problem. World Kitchen Consumer Care Center handled my complaint. I received $80.00 in merchandise from them. I was able to choose CorningWare Bakeware instead of Pyrex. I am very satisfied.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

I made a delicious looking pasta casserole in my 9"x13" Pyrex baking dish for company. After baking at 350 degrees for a short period of time, the dish exploded and melted all over the oven. I have used Pyrex for decades and never had a problem. I was so mad and embarrassed! I then had to order pizza for my guests. What a mess and waste of time and money! I really hope my oven is not damaged from this incident! Fortunately, no one was injured as it was all contained in the oven. I will NEVER use Pyrex again!!! I am going to get rid of all of my Pyrex baking dishes.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I was baking a casserole like I have done many times before. Minutes into my stove it started smoking. Opened my oven and my Pyrex baking dish had exploded!!! What a mess I have to clean up!!! Is there any compensation?

Original review: July 14, 2017

I put cinnamon rolls into the oven this morning; placed them in a glass Pyrex baking dish. I took the dish out of the oven and went to place it down and it exploded everywhere. I had glass all over the floor and stovetop. I couldn't move because I was in my bare feet. My 7 year old grand-daughter handed me the broom so I could sweep enough of the glass up to get myself out of the shattered glass. I had blood dripping onto the floor from cuts on my legs and feet. Needless to say, my grand-daughter did not get her cinnamon rolls for breakfast. I'm glad she was not standing there because she may have had cuts to her face or worse. I have never seen something like this happen. Yes, Pyrex, it DOES happen!

Original review: July 11, 2017

My daughter was making dinner in a Pyrex dish. The stove was preheated at 350. About 10 mins later my daughter and granddaughter were standing when all of a sudden it exploded in the oven broke the glass on the inside of the oven. I have used Pyrex for years so I thought it was the stove but I just bought it 2/27/16 so I called CPSR. THEY TOOK THE REPORT SO I CALL BACK AND TELL GE about the situation. They told me to look into the Pyrex so I did. I couldn't believe what I was reading. Someone could be seriously hurt. Thank God my family was not hurt. This occurred on 6/18/17.

Original review: July 2, 2017

9x13 bakeware - I truly love my cookware. I use Pyrex all the time. I LOVE IT, for my egg bake so I made a egg bake at 350 degrees. Baked for 40 minutes. Took out of oven and set on a bread board and it exploded. HOW can I be compensated for this?

Original review: June 24, 2017

I was emptying the dishwasher. I put the square Pyrex baking dish on the top of the stove. There was a pot of water boiling on the other side of the stove. The Pyrex exploded into projectiles of shards that burned the kitchen linoleum and carpet 10 feet away from the oven. Fortunately neither my dog or myself were injured physically. I am attaching a response letter from the manufacturer outlining what they consider care that makes this baking product virtually impossible to use under normal conditions. Yes, we all know glass breaks. Pyrex however explodes. Big difference.

Original review: June 20, 2017

As we were cooking this evening, the Pyrex casserole dish I have had for several years exploded. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt. I did have several glass shards cut my legs. The entire dish exploded all over the kitchen and went everyone. We spent about 45 mins cleaning up the mess. I didn't know about the exploding Pyrex issue until I called my dad and he mentioned it and said I should google it. After seeing 1000's of other complaints I decided to write a review in hopes of helping someone else avoid this same disaster. I am still shaken up about it and so is my significant other. Neither of us knew about the potential for Pyrex exploding and I am disappointed there is not further resolution on this issue. I do not have a receipt to attach as I have used it for several years and did not save the receipt. I am very disappointed in this product.

Original review: June 15, 2017

While cooking a roast in my oven at 400 Degrees in my 13 x 9 Amber Pyrex dish, it exploded as I was removing it from the oven. Needless to say, glass went everywhere in the kitchen and oven, and luckily I had very thick oven mitts on! I've used Pyrex dishes for many years and never had any issues with them. I thought this was probably just an anomaly, until I Googled the product and found that there appears to be many users of the product which have had the same experience!

Original review: June 9, 2017

I placed a room temperature Pyrex 13X9 baking dish into a pre-heated oven. About 15 minutes into baking I discovered the glass had shattered, leaving shards and burning food throughout the entire oven. Luckily it remained in the oven and didn't explode upon taking it out (like I've seen some people saying). After it happened, I asked around and at least ten people had experienced the same problem. I will never use this product again and I will advise everyone I know to never use it again as well.

Original review: May 5, 2017

Last Thursday I pulled a glass Pyrex dish out of the heated oven. It exploded in my hands and piece of glass shrapnel punctured my foot. The bleeding wouldn't stop and I had to go to the ER and get stitches. It severed an artery in the top of my foot and I lost a lot of blood. I'm just thankful it didn't hit me in the eyes or face. I threw out every piece of Pyrex in my house. It is not safe.

Original review: May 2, 2017

I had just put a 13 X 9 inch glass Pyrex dish in the gas oven at 350 F degrees that was already preheated and had 3 other pans in the oven making a full meal. The glass dish was full of scalloped potatoes. What makes it worse is the gas range was only 1 week old. I was walking away from the range and I heard an explosion. I turned around and saw steam and smoke coming out of the oven. I ran over and turned off the oven and opened the door to see that the scalloped potatoes and shards of glass were all over the oven. Not just a broken pan but shattered glass all over the oven. Now I am trying to get the oven apart to figure out how it needs to be cleaned or if it ruined the oven. Did anyone else have the oven door affected by the explosion or the glass in the oven door broken? Or cracked??? Please write a comment if you had to use your homeowners insurance to cover the replacement parts.

Original review: April 26, 2017

I purchased the bakeware which stated oven safe from Whole Foods in Dec 2016. I used it couple of times for baking and it was fine. Four days ago, on Sunday, 4/23/17, I was cooking dinner. The bakeware was empty with no food. I took it out from a oven with the temperature of 450 degrees to make some space. It exploded in my hand and there was glass everywhere. it was extremely dangerous. I stepped on one piece of the glass and my pinky toe was bleeding badly. This product should not be sold in the market. it stated oven safe but it exploded which shows it can't handle the heat. I am glad no glass damaged my eyes which it could. Never again. I won't use Pyrex products.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I pulled a Pyrex casserole pan out of the oven with burritos in it exploded in my face. Some pieces landed on my linoleum floor and melted spots all over. Glass went in the oven, on the stovetop, counters and floor. I burned my arm and now my floor is messed up.

Original review: March 15, 2017

I didn't realize exploding Pyrex was a thing until it happened to me. I was one of the lucky ones who was not injured and had already removed the food. Within two minutes of taking the Pyrex dish out of the oven, it exploded in my hand and the pieces fell into the sink (photo attached). I would not trust this product around my family or friends and want to make sure others are aware of the dangers. I purchased the Pyrex from a Wal-Mart in Northern Virginia around 2015.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

I had placed my Pyrex casserole in the dishwasher. It was room temperature and I had not yet run the dishwasher, I came home to load more dishes and found the Pyrex casserole had exploded into a million pieces!! I had heard of stories like this before but they all revolved around placing Pyrex in the oven or placing on countertops and then exploding. I have cooked with Pyrex for more than 25 years and never had an incident. I'm now hesitate to use this product. Very scary!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2017

I put my Pyrex baking dish in the oven to bake at 425. It was only in for 15 min and I checked it and started to walk away and then there was a loud explosion and blew my oven door open and bent the door. My oven is only 1 yr old! I've used Pyrex for decades and have never experienced or heard of this! What is going on? Luckily I was walking away and didn't have my face in it! It only grazed my leg!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

I was cooking stuffed pepper at 400 degrees for 45 mins. in Pyrex 13x9 glass pan. About 30 minutes into the cooking I heard a loud crash. Opened the oven door and saw the dish in pieces. I did search google to inquire about why it happened. Most people say extreme temperature changes. My Pyrex was not in the fridge or freezer. Weird... I did see other picture posted of Pyrex dishes that had exploded and it was the same kind, with red in the handles. I wonder if it's that particular model that had issues. I have three other size Pyrex dishes that I will continue to use with caution.

Pyrex Cookware Company Information