Pyrex Cookware

Compare Cookware Brands

Research top Cookware Brands recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

My daughter was making dinner in a Pyrex dish. The stove was preheated at 350. About 10 mins later my daughter and granddaughter were standing when all of a sudden it exploded in the oven broke the glass on the inside of the oven. I have used Pyrex for years so I thought it was the stove but I just bought it 2/27/16 so I called CPSR. THEY TOOK THE REPORT SO I CALL BACK AND TELL GE about the situation. They told me to look into the Pyrex so I did. I couldn't believe what I was reading. Someone could be seriously hurt. Thank God my family was not hurt. This occurred on 6/18/17.

9x13 bakeware - I truly love my cookware. I use Pyrex all the time. I LOVE IT, for my egg bake so I made a egg bake at 350 degrees. Baked for 40 minutes. Took out of oven and set on a bread board and it exploded. HOW can I be compensated for this?

I was emptying the dishwasher. I put the square Pyrex baking dish on the top of the stove. There was a pot of water boiling on the other side of the stove. The Pyrex exploded into projectiles of shards that burned the kitchen linoleum and carpet 10 feet away from the oven. Fortunately neither my dog or myself were injured physically. I am attaching a response letter from the manufacturer outlining what they consider care that makes this baking product virtually impossible to use under normal conditions. Yes, we all know glass breaks. Pyrex however explodes. Big difference.

As we were cooking this evening, the Pyrex casserole dish I have had for several years exploded. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt. I did have several glass shards cut my legs. The entire dish exploded all over the kitchen and went everyone. We spent about 45 mins cleaning up the mess. I didn't know about the exploding Pyrex issue until I called my dad and he mentioned it and said I should google it. After seeing 1000's of other complaints I decided to write a review in hopes of helping someone else avoid this same disaster. I am still shaken up about it and so is my significant other. Neither of us knew about the potential for Pyrex exploding and I am disappointed there is not further resolution on this issue. I do not have a receipt to attach as I have used it for several years and did not save the receipt. I am very disappointed in this product.

While cooking a roast in my oven at 400 Degrees in my 13 x 9 Amber Pyrex dish, it exploded as I was removing it from the oven. Needless to say, glass went everywhere in the kitchen and oven, and luckily I had very thick oven mitts on! I've used Pyrex dishes for many years and never had any issues with them. I thought this was probably just an anomaly, until I Googled the product and found that there appears to be many users of the product which have had the same experience!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pyrex Cookware?

I placed a room temperature Pyrex 13X9 baking dish into a pre-heated oven. About 15 minutes into baking I discovered the glass had shattered, leaving shards and burning food throughout the entire oven. Luckily it remained in the oven and didn't explode upon taking it out (like I've seen some people saying). After it happened, I asked around and at least ten people had experienced the same problem. I will never use this product again and I will advise everyone I know to never use it again as well.

Last Thursday I pulled a glass Pyrex dish out of the heated oven. It exploded in my hands and piece of glass shrapnel punctured my foot. The bleeding wouldn't stop and I had to go to the ER and get stitches. It severed an artery in the top of my foot and I lost a lot of blood. I'm just thankful it didn't hit me in the eyes or face. I threw out every piece of Pyrex in my house. It is not safe.

I had just put a 13 X 9 inch glass Pyrex dish in the gas oven at 350 F degrees that was already preheated and had 3 other pans in the oven making a full meal. The glass dish was full of scalloped potatoes. What makes it worse is the gas range was only 1 week old. I was walking away from the range and I heard an explosion. I turned around and saw steam and smoke coming out of the oven. I ran over and turned off the oven and opened the door to see that the scalloped potatoes and shards of glass were all over the oven. Not just a broken pan but shattered glass all over the oven. Now I am trying to get the oven apart to figure out how it needs to be cleaned or if it ruined the oven. Did anyone else have the oven door affected by the explosion or the glass in the oven door broken? Or cracked??? Please write a comment if you had to use your homeowners insurance to cover the replacement parts.

I purchased the bakeware which stated oven safe from Whole Foods in Dec 2016. I used it couple of times for baking and it was fine. Four days ago, on Sunday, 4/23/17, I was cooking dinner. The bakeware was empty with no food. I took it out from a oven with the temperature of 450 degrees to make some space. It exploded in my hand and there was glass everywhere. it was extremely dangerous. I stepped on one piece of the glass and my pinky toe was bleeding badly. This product should not be sold in the market. it stated oven safe but it exploded which shows it can't handle the heat. I am glad no glass damaged my eyes which it could. Never again. I won't use Pyrex products.

I pulled a Pyrex casserole pan out of the oven with burritos in it exploded in my face. Some pieces landed on my linoleum floor and melted spots all over. Glass went in the oven, on the stovetop, counters and floor. I burned my arm and now my floor is messed up.

I didn't realize exploding Pyrex was a thing until it happened to me. I was one of the lucky ones who was not injured and had already removed the food. Within two minutes of taking the Pyrex dish out of the oven, it exploded in my hand and the pieces fell into the sink (photo attached). I would not trust this product around my family or friends and want to make sure others are aware of the dangers. I purchased the Pyrex from a Wal-Mart in Northern Virginia around 2015.

I had placed my Pyrex casserole in the dishwasher. It was room temperature and I had not yet run the dishwasher, I came home to load more dishes and found the Pyrex casserole had exploded into a million pieces!! I had heard of stories like this before but they all revolved around placing Pyrex in the oven or placing on countertops and then exploding. I have cooked with Pyrex for more than 25 years and never had an incident. I'm now hesitate to use this product. Very scary!!!

I put my Pyrex baking dish in the oven to bake at 425. It was only in for 15 min and I checked it and started to walk away and then there was a loud explosion and blew my oven door open and bent the door. My oven is only 1 yr old! I've used Pyrex for decades and have never experienced or heard of this! What is going on? Luckily I was walking away and didn't have my face in it! It only grazed my leg!

I was cooking stuffed pepper at 400 degrees for 45 mins. in Pyrex 13x9 glass pan. About 30 minutes into the cooking I heard a loud crash. Opened the oven door and saw the dish in pieces. I did search google to inquire about why it happened. Most people say extreme temperature changes. My Pyrex was not in the fridge or freezer. Weird... I did see other picture posted of Pyrex dishes that had exploded and it was the same kind, with red in the handles. I wonder if it's that particular model that had issues. I have three other size Pyrex dishes that I will continue to use with caution.

I have always bought Pyrex measuring cups, but recently when I bought 2 new cups they were not the same quality. The red measuring guide lines have washed off and the quality of the glass is not what it has previously been.

I'd just removed my 9x13 Pyrex baking dish from the oven after roasting potatoes at 450°. I placed it on the stove to cool and turned away, when I heard a REALLY LOUD pop, and turned back to see the dish shattered all over the stove & counter, and glass on the floor up to 5 feet away from the stove. I'm so glad I'd turned away and didn't get glass in my eye. Luckily I'd lined the dish with aluminum foil, so the potatoes didn't get everywhere. I will never use Pyrex again.

I heard a loud pop coming from my kitchen this afternoon. It was followed by the sound of tinkling, like chopped ice falling. No one else was home. I went into the kitchen and didn't see anything until I started opening cabinets. I opened a large cabinet that houses larger glass bakeware, and found that one of my Grab and Go casserole dishes had shattered, without warning. It had its red lid on it, and was on top of another one, identical, that I'd bought within the last six months. I last used it in November and hadn't moved it since washing it and putting it away. There was glass EVERYWHERE. Just strange. I'd never heard of anything like this happening.

I got the mess cleaned up, and looked at the bottom of the unbroken piece, with the instructions. I had used this according to the manufacturer's instructions, and have no idea why this happened. I Googled it and found that "exploding Pyrex" is, indeed, a thing. The formula for manufacturing it has changed. I'm lucky it didn't happen either in the oven or as I was taking it out. Very dangerous. Be careful.

I had made a bunch of lasagnas for family members and kept two for myself. One I put in a 9 x 13 Pyrex dish and the other in a stainless steel dish. We froze all of the lasagnas until they were needed. I was having family over for supper and decided to pull out one of the lasagnas. We took it out, let it sit for about 30 minutes before putting it into the oven at 350. I went to check on it a half hour later and as soon as I opened the oven door, you could hear the shattering. I grabbed oven mitts and tried picking up the dish - one complete side of the dish came off in my hand as well multiple pieces fell to the bottom of the oven. My husband grabbed a spatula to hold one side so that I could try and grab the other side of the dish and upon further inspection, that side had completely split. The edge was still there but it wasn't connected to anything!

I have never had my Pyrex do this before, so I took pictures and posted on Facebook. Many of my family and friends have encountered similar issues however my immediate family never knew this. We have always been a family that freezes food to have readily available when needed... Freezer to oven is very common... But that will be changing - I love Pyrex and will continue to use it but will be very careful. The new Pyrex isn't nearly as good as the old stuff... If you can get your hands on some hand-me-down Pyrex take it!

Tonight I removed a 2 year old Pyrex brand pie plate from the oven after baking a beef pot pie at 400 degrees for 25 minutes. Upon removal, I placed the Pyrex pie plate on my marble counter and it immediately shattered. Large pieces fell on my hardwood kitchen floor and damaged the finish. What a disaster. Dinner and my beautiful Brazilian hardwood floor damaged too.

My Pyrex baking dish (9x13) was sitting on top of my gas stove as the oven heated up. I picked up the dish to put it in the oven and the thing EXPLODED IN MY HAND. It was barely warm. Glass blew into the air and all over my counter, floor, and into the food I had out to prepare to feed my kids. I am just thankful that a piece of glass didn't go into my eye or hurt one of my children. I had to throw away about $20 worth of food.

I was baking chicken for my family's dinner. Ten minutes into baking time a loud explosion sound was made, and the house filled with smoke. I have an oven with double burner elements. One is in the bottom of the oven. When the glass 13x9 dish shattered, my sauce flooded the oven and shards of glass were everywhere including the side metal pieces that hold the wire racks. Needless to say I was shocked and thankful it happened in the oven. A year ago I had a second pyrex glass dish explode when I removed the cake from the oven to the counter (granite with steel trivets). I thought it was a fluke, but after today's experience I googled and found this page. Some agency should forbid Pyrex from continuing to produce unsafe bakeware. If somebody gets a glass shard in the eye it will be too late. With all the government agencies micromanaging life, you'd think some agency would get on companies who produce health hazards.

My cookware that I have had for two years exploded while in the cabinet. It had been over a week since I last used it. Me and my wife heard a noise in the kitchen and went to see what had fell. It sounded like ice breaking. We looked around and did not see anything. We figure it was the ice maker. This morning I go to take my vitamin and lo and behold the cookware had exploded into thousands of pieces. I had never heard of this happening and as I checked online I see it happens a lot.

I was keeping the dish of mashed potatoes warm in the oven. I took the dish out of the oven and placed it on the stove top and in 30 seconds it exploded! Upon further research they do not make Pyrex out of the same material that they used to and exploding dishes are fairly common. No more Pyrex for me!

Tonight as I took my Pyrex 8x8 baking dish out of my oven and set it on my glass top stove it exploded in thousands of shards... thankfully the bread pudding absorbed the smaller pieces. Very dangerous to have baking dishes spontaneously exploding! Very dissatisfied with this product. Glad no one was hurt. I will now throw out all my Pyrex glass baking dishes as I no longer trust them to be safe!

Pyrex was once a very trusted name in cookware. Now after my second casserole dish in 3 years EXPLODED in my oven, I explored an explanation. Apparently this has been happening to unsuspecting people who have put their trust in the Pyrex name for years... Ever since they sold the name and changed the composition of the product. Pyrex is no longer the trustworthy cookware your mother had. The 'from fridge to oven to table' no longer exists!!! Luckily both my incidents happened within the oven. I warn others of this very real danger. All my Pyrex is going in the garbage!!!

I bought two new glass Pyrex 9x13 cooking dishes 3 years ago when I moved into a new place. Two days ago I pre-heated my oven to 400F, lined a pan with some aluminum foil, and placed 2 chicken breasts in it to cook. When done, I pulled the pan out and placed it onto a room temperature glass cooktop as I've done dozens of times before. As I stepped back two feet to turn towards the sink, the pan EXPLODED! It did not crack or shatter in place. It EXPLODED into hundreds of pieces, spraying me, the counters and the floor in glass shards. I was 2-3 ft away when it happened and I was hit from my neck downwards with glass. Thankfully I was not hurt and had glasses on. Glass shot as far as 6 ft into my pantry (I paced it) and in the opposite direction towards my fridge. There was no damage to the stove top. Regardless of where the dish is placed, there should be no question as to whether it will remain safe and in one piece.

I checked the other pan and it was stamped PYREX on the bottom. Needless to say it is now in the garbage and now use a metal pan. Please do your friends a favor and educate them about this issue and plead with them to toss these PYREX dishes. Imagine if it was your child that you asked to pull the dish out of the oven and it exploded in their face. And trust me, it was an EXPLOSION with force.

I have used my Pyrex baking pan several times. This time when I placed it in the oven it exploded into millions of pieces/shards. I'm lucky no-one was injured but my meal was ruined and had a mess to clean up. It's horrible a company cares so little about their customers' safety to make and put their name on this product. Shame, shame on you.

I placed a chunk of cooked corned beef into a large Pyrex baking dish, covered it with foil and placed it in a pre-heated 250 oven to keep warm while I cooked small potatoes and cabbage in the pot the corned beef had boiled in. I removed the dish and placed it on stove top on a burner that WAS NOT ON. I removed the corned beef and added it back to the pot while I mashed the potatoes. I put the corned beef back into the dish to slice it. I served dinner and we all ate... took about 20 minutes. My daughter went back and cut a little more corned beef and returned to the table.

About 5 minutes later we heard the most horrific sound from the kitchen. The Pyrex dish had exploded and sent glass all over the stove top, the countertops, and the floor. Glass shards traveled as far as 15 feet from the dish. I want to reiterate that the dish was NOT sitting on a hot surface, I can find NO reason why this dish suddenly exploded. It is only by God's grace that someone was not seriously injured by this event. I am getting rid of all my Pyrex as they are clearly unsafe.

I took the Pyrex dish out the oven and placed in on the counter, it then exploded throwing glass everywhere. I just finished brushing the glass out my daughter's hair. Thank God her back was turned as it could have gone in her face or eyes. A quick Google search led me to hundreds of others who have had similar issues so these problems are well-known and documented. The reason they explode is the cheap glass they use to increase their profits is inferior to the old formula we used to have no problems with. This is utterly disgusting that a company would put profit ahead of the actual safety of its products. DO NOT BUY. This company are greedy beyond belief to ignore an issue like this.

I placed my casserole into the preheated, 350 degree oven and 5 minutes later, we heard an explosion in the oven! Upon opening the door, we find that the dish has disintegrated into a thousand shards of glass. Dinner is ruined, the oven is a mess, and I'm thinking it was something I did. I've used it for over 4 years with no issue. After a tiny bit of research, I discover that this is happening daily! I threw away the rest of the Pyrex in my home, and contacted my 6 daughters to let them know they should discontinue using theirs. This is sad and dangerous. Corning did a much better job of manufacturing a product that stood the test of time, compared to the current manufacturer. I won't purchase this product again.

Pyrex Cookware Company Profile