1.36/5
Based on 35 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for new cookware?

Pyrex Cookware

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Feb. 16, 2018

1619 Pyrex Cookware Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I bought three of these dishes in mid December 2017, to use for entertaining my family over the holidays. The second time I used my new Pyrex dish was to reheat our regular sweet corn casserole the day after Christmas. I reheated it as normal and laid it gently on my stove top. Within moments, the dish literally exploded all over my kitchen. I was injured, but thankfully, not badly. Needless to say the dish could not be eaten and I have been afraid to use the additional two dishes I purchased since.

Dinner was ruined and the rest of the evening was spent gathering pieces of glass from all over our kitchen to prevent any further injuries from occurring. To add insult to injury, I lodged a complaint with Pyrex (via their website) on January 25 and they still have not even acknowledged it. I am thoroughly disappointed in this brand. Based on my experience, its products have proven to be unsafe and furthermore, their customer service department have not even recognized the fact that their faulty product caused me bodily harm.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I purchased a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup from Target. After only about a month, I dropped it on my laminate kitchen counter, and the handle cracked and chipped. I purchased another of the exact item to replace a few days ago. Brand new and never used, I put it in the dishwasher, top rack, to clean. When I opened the dishwasher the next day, I discovered the measuring cup had shattered, and there were glass shards all over the inside of the dishwasher, other dishes, and silverware. Huge headache to clean up. This product is supposed to be dishwasher safe. From my experience, this product poses a safety hazard.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Resolution response: Jan. 17, 2018

After my previous review detailing my Pyrex glassware exploding in the oven, I contacted the company and was really impressed with the customer service I received. A representative took a detailed report of my incident and informed me that in the future, I should not cook meat in the pan without enough liquid to cover the bottom of the pan. Since I didn't want to cook with liquid, she said I should be using stoneware, and they offered to send me a free stoneware pan with lid and several other items as well. I was swearing off Pyrex before, but I'm glad I called and will be happy to purchase from them in the future (just being more careful about using the glass pans).

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I had some frozen chicken in the oven in my Pyrex glass baking dish. I've done this many times before, and I never saw a warning from Pyrex about cooking frozen food in its dishes. Suddenly there was a large bang from inside the oven. When I opened it, shards of glass were everywhere and fell out of the oven, all over the floor. Thank God my 16 month old wasn't standing next to me. It was a nightmare to clean up and I'm still terrified that I missed something and my baby will get into it. I had had that dish for 10 or so years but it had no visible signs of scratches or damage. After researching only, it appears that these problems are widespread and increasing with Pyrex. It's disturbing that nothing is being done about it.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Made Cinnamon rolls xmas morning, set them on counter to cool off and left room. Heard a loud bang like someone had dropped about 10 plates on the floor. Discovered Pyrex rectangular baking pan had exploded, sending glass all over the kitchen and counters. Just an amazingly unexpected thing to happen, as everything was normal otherwise. No cracks, discoloring or anything in glass to hint at its potential for lethality. Had to throw the rolls away and clean and vacuum and clean again, still got cut from invisible shards everywhere! Wonder how things would have turned out standing next to it or dogs under counter where they usually are. Had my dogs been injured, I would have been really angry.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

My wife was cooking supper and inadvertently put a rectangular Pyrex baking dish on a hot red stove burner. Suddenly, we heard a loud noise as the Pyrex bakeware exploded in all directions. Glass flew up and out across the kitchen up to 6 feet away. Shards of glass from very minuscule (size of grain of sand) and up to 2 inches x 1 inch were scattered all over the kitchen floor. Additionally, the glass was still so very hot that it created a variety of burn marks (of varying sizes and depth) as far as 6 feet away on the linoleum flooring which will need to be replaced. Hope this helps people realize the potential hazard and use of Pyrex glass bakeware. Use with great care and risk!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pyrex Cookware?

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

On Sunday morning, November 12th, We were baking biscuits in our oven. We were using a new dish from Pyrex, it was a casserole dish with blue swirls on it, we recently purchased it and had probably used it a handful of times. When the biscuits had finished baking, they were placed on the stovetop to cool down, as we always do. I was standing in front of the Oven when Suddenly the dish exploded, small and large shards of glass flew through the air with extreme force, covering the entire kitchen. I was in shock and my ears were ringing, I looked down because my foot felt strange and noticed it was covered in blood. I almost passed out, my husband carried me to a chair and ran to get a guest aid kit.

As the shock wore off, the Pain increased. My husband stopped the bleeding the best he could, that's when we noticed that the cut was on the top of my foot and that it was quite deep and wide. I decided to go to a urgent care to get it looked at as the bleeding didn't stop and I couldn't take a step without extreme pain. I received a few stitches at Urgent Care, the Dr. Said I was lucky it didn't hit the large vein right next to the wound, the vein was swollen because of the proximity to the wound.

I'm also lucky it didn't hit anywhere like my eyes and very fortunate that my small children were not in the kitchen at the time of the explosion. I contacted Pyrex the next day by email to inform them of this incident, I got no response. I then called them a few days later, I was told I would be contacted by someone who specializes in these "type of issues", I was also instructed to save any glass I had kept and was told that I would get instructions on sending it in for "testing".

A few days later I received an email from a woman named Cherri, she had several questions for me and said someone would contact me Shortly after my response. That was about 3 weeks ago now, I still have not heard back from anyone or gotten any further instruction, information or answers as to why this happened. Last week I emailed Cherri back to request a time estimate as to when I would be hearing from someone, I got no answer. It doesn't seem to me like Pyrex really cares that their product may be dangerous or that they were concerned that I was injured by using it. This incident caused me to need stitches, left me unable to walk without pain for weeks, and will leave a nasty scar too. It also scared my kids and I and caused me to fear using glassware to cook again.

The same night I was injured, I had a mutual Facebook friend who also had her Pyrex explode, that same day! This lead me to wonder if it was a common issue. Upon my own research, I found that a quite large number of people have had their newer model Pyrex explode on them, this doesn't seem to be an issue with the original, older Pyrex though. I also found out that this newer Pyrex is made from soda lime instead of the original borosilicate recipe, although soda lime is cheaper, it's much more prone to explosion. This new Pyrex isn't even owned by the same company or made in the USA anymore. Essentially this Pyrex is not really Pyrex at all, it just carries the name, only without the original quality or pride...

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I had company over to the house for a lasagna dinner and after spending a lot of money on the ingredients and cooking in the oven for almost 1 hour, the attached pictures show the end results. I had just taken it out of the oven, turned around for a quick second (thankfully) and the 8 1/2 x 14 Pyrex dish shattered all over my kitchen. I have never experienced this before and it was not an experience I want to relive. The glass went everywhere and needless to say all of the food was ruined. Pizza was ordered and I swore off ever owning Pyrex brand products again.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Pyrex Easy Grab 8-Piece Glass Bakeware and Food Storage Set - I was baking yams in the largest pan. After I took the pan out of the oven and set it on top of the oven, it exploded. Shards of glass scattered all over the kitchen, as far as seven feet away. I am very lucky that I wasn't hurt and especially lucky that a shard of glass didn't end up in my eye! Unacceptable!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Until this happened to me yesterday, I'd never heard of the Exploding Pyrex issue. I made a batch of mac-n-cheese on the stovetop, then wanted to bake it at 350 for about 20 minutes to finish it off. The Pyrex pan I used was fairly new, maybe a few years old. I've hardly used it, as I don't make many casseroles that need to be baked in the oven. I put the mac-n-cheese in the pan and set it on the oven rack. No more than five minutes later, there was a tremendous boom from the oven, which was the pan exploding into hundreds of tiny pieces.

Having googled this business and reading up on other reports, I can verify there was no undue stress placed on the pan. I am familiar with thermal shock, but this didn't happen. The pan was room temp. The mac-n-cheese was warm but by no means hot - Hell's Bells, I was taste-testing the stuff out of the stovetop pan with a spoon so it couldn't have been overly hot. The oven was preheated. The pan was essentially new, used maybe a couple of times. The pan has never been dropped or bumped. I can't explain how this happened, but I can assure readers of this review that EVERY piece of Pyrex in my house is going in the trash today. If this pan had shattered when I was lifting it out of the oven, it would have been all over me with glass shards and hot melted cheese.

I consider myself lucky there was no injury, but the mess in the oven was extraordinary. I had to scoop up the gloppy glass-and-cheese mess from the bottom of the oven, as well as shop vac the interior to get the rest of the glass shards, then apply a lot of elbow grease to clean up the oven racks and interior. It took over two hours to clean up. As this pan is several years old, I don't have the receipt anymore.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I was badly burned using a Pyrex dish in my microwave. This is NOT MICROWAVE SAFE, like it indicates on the bottom of this dish. Pyrex is no longer be a TRUSTED NAME. This is the second MISHAP using Pyrex. The first MISHAP happened right after washing another Pyrex dish, I was towel drying it and it SHATTERED right in my hands! You must recall all your products before a HORRIFIC accident happens.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

My uncle was baking a cobbler at 350 degrees in a Pyrex dish purchased at Walmart. When it was ready to come out, it looked beautiful; a light golden brown. He gently slid the cobbler onto a dry kitchen surface when it suddenly exploded!! Not cracked... Exploded!!! Glass shattered everywhere; all throughout the kitchen and living room. He barely turned his head in time or glass could have been in his eyes; my uncle looked down. His feet and legs had glass shards in them; bleeding everywhere. Cobbler was leaking boiling hot sauce all over us as we attempted to clean. This was a week ago. After an hour or more clean up and thrown away cobbler, we are still stepping on small pieces of glass in the kitchen and living room. Looked online and noticed this is happening to a lot of people. Snopes said it was a "rumor"; that it doesn't explode. Ha! They don't know what they're talking about. It exploded.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I used my Pyrex 2 cup measuring cup yesterday evening to measure room temperature ingredients. I washed the cup in warm water and set it on a paper towel on my countertop to dry. Sometime during the night, the cup spontaneously shattered. While most of the glass remained where it shattered, small glass shards were dispersed onto the floor and across the counter. Scary, especially as this event did not involve any kind of rapid temperature change.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Our family's 9x13 Pyrex casserole dish exploded loudly while in the oven cooking chicken at 425. Glass shards went everywhere and the RV we live in was full of smoke. The explosion was very loud and frightening. I cut myself 4 times cleaning up the entire mess. No dinner for us now! I am angry!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Shattered Macaroni. It's a horrible shame how my family had to sit through an explosion of glass shattering in my oven. My poor dog barked hysterically, and all I could do was turn the oven off until the popping stopped.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2017

I was cooking a ham in my Pyrex baking dish and it exploded when I had pulled the rack out to move the ham slices around. I picked the big pieces up and put them on a pizza pan that I had sitting out and left it on the oven door to cool off. 5-10 minutes later it exploded again. This time the handle exploded into tiny pieces. When I had called to make a complaint the lady told me there needs to be water or some kind of liquid in the bottom of the pan so the heat is even throughout the pan??? Whatever you say lady! If that's the case why would the handle explode? So the rest of the pan that is dry with no liquid or food touching it is not safe?! Seems like they have a list of excuses ready for the people that call in. My husband also got cut up cleaning up the mess this caused. After reading all the reviews I'm surprised that there hasn't been a class action lawsuit yet!

Original review: Sept. 17, 2017

Bought small glass Pyrex bowls with dark blue lids to store canned cat food; for refrigerator use only. Took one out the other night and went to scoop contents into cats bowl when it EXPLODED into many, many pieces. I was cut on two of my fingers and heel of my foot by when I stepped back to make sure cat did not get hurt. OMG... I have read many complaints of explosion with temp. changes but this occurred without that. PLEASE be careful people!!! NO MORE PYREX FOR ME, cannot take the risk of major injury. Awful.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

My large size glass Pyrex measuring cup (64 oz. size) exploded yesterday while preparing a Labor Day side dish. I placed a stick of butter into the glass Pyrex measuring cup and heated it in the microwave for 40 seconds. I removed it from the microwave and as I turned around while holding it at waist level and headed toward the kitchen table, the Pyrex exploded in my hand. The glass handle was still in my hand, but the rest of this large size glass measuring cup was in shards all over the floor in the kitchen and even reached through the doorway to the living room on the carpet.

That wasn’t even the worst of it. Trying to get the butter that was all over kitchen was quite the task. I only had a small cut on top of my foot (I was in bare feet) from a projectile piece of glass. I never had this happen to me before. It was quite startling and loud too! From now on, I am doing it the old-fashion way and melt the butter on the stove in a sauce pan. I have been using Pyrex for 30 years. What happened to them being oven/microwave/dishwasher safe?

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

My wife was cooking breakfast this morning and put bacon in a Pyrex baking dish and put it in the oven. The oven temperature was set at 425F which should not be an issue for what Pyrex claims their products can withstand. After 20 minutes of the Pyrex being in the oven my wife pulled it out and put it on the stove. The burner did happen to be on medium from her previously cooking on it. I walked into the kitchen approximately 5 mins after she had placed the Pyrex on the stove top and happen to be standing right next to the Pyrex baking dish as it exploded.

I say exploded confidently due to the loud noise the Pyrex made as it shattered and threw glass from my kitchen to the other side of my dining room leaving melted holes in the carpet and marks on the linoleum of my rented apartment. My wife standing only 3 feet away ended up with a shard in her foot luckily only a minor injury came of it. I previously read on here that Douglas S. Arnold stated "We want to assure you that neither PYREX glass bakeware nor other glass bakeware 'explodes.' Glass does not explode but it can break. As glass bonds break, people may hear a noise and be surprised." If you have experienced this it is obviously not true and maybe Arnold himself has not had the same events some of us have unfortunately had to deal with.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2017

I purchased two Pyrex baking dishes about 3 months ago from Wal-Mart. I've used the dishes several times; however, when using one of the dishes today, 8/27/2017, it exploded in the oven! I was baking chicken at 350 degrees, and it had been in the oven for about 20 minutes when it suddenly exploded! There were no cracks in the dish, there were no sudden temperature changes, etc. So I have no idea of why this happened. We now have glass not only in our food, but also all over the oven.

We're now on our way out to get take out because our dinner is now ruined! We're not taking chances on possibly having glass in our food. I'm now reading other complaints from users who have experienced the exact same problem and I have to say, this is not a good thing for the company reputation. Is there any compensation that users can expect to receive due to this happening? You can be guaranteed, I will NEVER purchase anything from Pyrex ever again and I'm definitely letting everyone I know to avoid Pyrex at all costs!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

Bought a new box of Pyrex dishes. Was giving them an initial rinse in soapy water, however 2 pieces were stuck together. I attempted to pull them apart only to have them explode slicing a huge chunk out of the tip of my thumb! I was lucky this happened in my sink under water so I did not have pieces shoot up at me. I instantly grabbed a dish towel to attempt to clot the bleeding. I did not realize this was a thing until I told a co-worker about it the next day! To say the least I did return these and will never purchase another Pyrex. I cannot trust them now knowing how lucky I was I did not get more cuts!

Resolution response: Oct. 8, 2017

I emailed Pyrex about my problem. World Kitchen Consumer Care Center handled my complaint. I received $80.00 in merchandise from them. I was able to choose CorningWare Bakeware instead of Pyrex. I am very satisfied.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2017

I made a delicious looking pasta casserole in my 9"x13" Pyrex baking dish for company. After baking at 350 degrees for a short period of time, the dish exploded and melted all over the oven. I have used Pyrex for decades and never had a problem. I was so mad and embarrassed! I then had to order pizza for my guests. What a mess and waste of time and money! I really hope my oven is not damaged from this incident! Fortunately, no one was injured as it was all contained in the oven. I will NEVER use Pyrex again!!! I am going to get rid of all of my Pyrex baking dishes.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I was baking a casserole like I have done many times before. Minutes into my stove it started smoking. Opened my oven and my Pyrex baking dish had exploded!!! What a mess I have to clean up!!! Is there any compensation?

Original review: July 14, 2017

I put cinnamon rolls into the oven this morning; placed them in a glass Pyrex baking dish. I took the dish out of the oven and went to place it down and it exploded everywhere. I had glass all over the floor and stovetop. I couldn't move because I was in my bare feet. My 7 year old grand-daughter handed me the broom so I could sweep enough of the glass up to get myself out of the shattered glass. I had blood dripping onto the floor from cuts on my legs and feet. Needless to say, my grand-daughter did not get her cinnamon rolls for breakfast. I'm glad she was not standing there because she may have had cuts to her face or worse. I have never seen something like this happen. Yes, Pyrex, it DOES happen!

Original review: July 11, 2017

My daughter was making dinner in a Pyrex dish. The stove was preheated at 350. About 10 mins later my daughter and granddaughter were standing when all of a sudden it exploded in the oven broke the glass on the inside of the oven. I have used Pyrex for years so I thought it was the stove but I just bought it 2/27/16 so I called CPSR. THEY TOOK THE REPORT SO I CALL BACK AND TELL GE about the situation. They told me to look into the Pyrex so I did. I couldn't believe what I was reading. Someone could be seriously hurt. Thank God my family was not hurt. This occurred on 6/18/17.

Original review: July 2, 2017

9x13 bakeware - I truly love my cookware. I use Pyrex all the time. I LOVE IT, for my egg bake so I made a egg bake at 350 degrees. Baked for 40 minutes. Took out of oven and set on a bread board and it exploded. HOW can I be compensated for this?

Original review: June 24, 2017

I was emptying the dishwasher. I put the square Pyrex baking dish on the top of the stove. There was a pot of water boiling on the other side of the stove. The Pyrex exploded into projectiles of shards that burned the kitchen linoleum and carpet 10 feet away from the oven. Fortunately neither my dog or myself were injured physically. I am attaching a response letter from the manufacturer outlining what they consider care that makes this baking product virtually impossible to use under normal conditions. Yes, we all know glass breaks. Pyrex however explodes. Big difference.

Original review: June 20, 2017

As we were cooking this evening, the Pyrex casserole dish I have had for several years exploded. Fortunately no one was seriously hurt. I did have several glass shards cut my legs. The entire dish exploded all over the kitchen and went everyone. We spent about 45 mins cleaning up the mess. I didn't know about the exploding Pyrex issue until I called my dad and he mentioned it and said I should google it. After seeing 1000's of other complaints I decided to write a review in hopes of helping someone else avoid this same disaster. I am still shaken up about it and so is my significant other. Neither of us knew about the potential for Pyrex exploding and I am disappointed there is not further resolution on this issue. I do not have a receipt to attach as I have used it for several years and did not save the receipt. I am very disappointed in this product.

Original review: June 15, 2017

While cooking a roast in my oven at 400 Degrees in my 13 x 9 Amber Pyrex dish, it exploded as I was removing it from the oven. Needless to say, glass went everywhere in the kitchen and oven, and luckily I had very thick oven mitts on! I've used Pyrex dishes for many years and never had any issues with them. I thought this was probably just an anomaly, until I Googled the product and found that there appears to be many users of the product which have had the same experience!

Original review: June 9, 2017

I placed a room temperature Pyrex 13X9 baking dish into a pre-heated oven. About 15 minutes into baking I discovered the glass had shattered, leaving shards and burning food throughout the entire oven. Luckily it remained in the oven and didn't explode upon taking it out (like I've seen some people saying). After it happened, I asked around and at least ten people had experienced the same problem. I will never use this product again and I will advise everyone I know to never use it again as well.

Original review: May 5, 2017

Last Thursday I pulled a glass Pyrex dish out of the heated oven. It exploded in my hands and piece of glass shrapnel punctured my foot. The bleeding wouldn't stop and I had to go to the ER and get stitches. It severed an artery in the top of my foot and I lost a lot of blood. I'm just thankful it didn't hit me in the eyes or face. I threw out every piece of Pyrex in my house. It is not safe.

Pyrex Cookware Company Information

www.pyrex.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use