2. Homeowners
  3. Cookware Brands

4.2/5 (1213 ratings)

About Pyrex Cookware

Pyrex Cookware Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pyrex Cookware?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pyrex Cookware?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

Placed Pyrex glass casserole dish to bake casserole in oven. 5 min later a large boom and the Pyrex shattered in oven. Got burned on my fingers and small cuts on my hands as I opened oven. The baking casserole dish was oven safe. My whole dinner was ruined not to say as well as money wasted from grocery store. When I opened the oven after the heard the noise, the Pyrex dish was continuing to explode glass at me. Thank goodness none got on my face or eyes.

Original review: June 27, 2021

About 12 years ago, I removed two small Pyrex bowls from the dishwasher which just finished the dry cycle and was putting them in the cupboard. They were hot and due to the heat, I slightly dropped one bowl about an inch distance into the other bowl of same size which was in my hand. The bottom dish exploded into millions of bits of shards of glass and blew into my face and hand. 12 years later, I still have bits of glass working out to the surface of my chin. The bits of glass form small bumps under the skin surface and then work up to the surface rupture the skin leaving terrible sores that then weep tiny bits of glass residue for days/sometimes weeks. If this is hard to read, it is because it is as terrible as it sounds.

Some years ago I tried writing letters to Pyrex makers, writing reviews, contacting consumer advocates, etc, to no avail and have just lived with this. Checking again such reviews today, I see so many people continue to have problems with exploding Pyrex. I do not understand how this situation prevails and Pyrex continues to market a dangerous product. I was told I did not follow usage instruction. Who would think it is acceptable to have a product that would expose you to such danger by taking it out of dishwasher before it has cooled off to a certain temperature?

Beware people, do not remove Pyrex from your dishwasher when it is still hot. You could end up with your face scared and weeping glass for more than a decade and who know how long this situation will last… perhaps my entire life. Pyrex doesn’t care. Remove it from your house and then encourage everyone you know to avoid Pyrex. They protect themselves with a vague disclaimer on the bottom of their product. Not worth the risk.

Get buying tips about Cookware Brands delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I have used Pyrex many times over the years. Last night I was baking meatballs in a 350 degree oven in my 9x12 dish when my dog and I heard a loud bang! We went and looked inside the oven and sure enough, the dish had totally broken apart and into many large and small pieces of glass. There were even shards around the bottom of the oven. The particular Pyrex dish was rather on the newer side with longer side handles, as opposed to the older models with shorter handles and more depth to the dish. I knew they exploded years ago, but didn’t know this was still occurring! Won’t use this type of product again!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2020

It happened to me too - exploded with routine, nonabusive use. Dangerous and unacceptable. Should be banned. It ruined a week's worth of food tonight, it took forever to clean up. Just lucky nobody was injured. This brand is not what it used to be. Use a cheaper form of glass that is prone to exploding. This is not your grandma's Pyrex. Tell your friends.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2020

On May 3rd 2020. I was cooking a meal in a Pyrex glass cookware dish at approximately 350 degrees. After 40 minutes in the oven I removed the dish and set it on the counter and the dish subsequently exploded sending glass shards everywhere and cutting my wrist and arm.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2020

I entrusted my high-end Le Creuset, Emile Henry and Cuisinart bakeware to a disreputable mover and lost about two-thirds of a collection that took many years to amass. (Yes, very sad.) So, after much research I decided to take advantage of a promo offered by Corning/Pyrex to re-establish my kitchen. All of the various & sundry pieces of Pyrex I bought are still USA-made.

I'm reviewing this particular piece because I discovered during my research that anything with a deeper side also carries a higher price point. At this low price point this roaster hits the mark in so many ways: the pleasing oval shape is even dressy table-worthy, and no doubt the large capacity coupled with those deep sides qualifies it as a versatile addition to any kitchen.

Two things to keep in mind with all Pyrex: DO NOT PLACE IN A COLD OVEN (PRE-HEATED ONLY) BEFORE BAKING and DO NOT HANDLE IT WITH ANYTHING DAMP WHEN HOT. Unfortunately, the Corning website falls short of outlining those warnings in clear & simple terms, and additional practical information was omitted as well (which I brought to their attention). It initially bothered me that nothing had a label on it (three safety and usage instructions were enclosed) but, again, at this low price point I can overlook that; it's obvious everything was brand new and I've bought Pyrex at Walmart without any labels either.

A packing slip was enclosed which nowadays is a treat unless you're dealing with high-end merchants. Nevertheless, the brand has been around forever for a reason: they're in the business of making kitchen workhorses at very affordable prices = win|win!! Last but not least, everything was very carefully packed and arrived in perfect condition.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

I was cooking Brie in the oven in the glass pie plate. I was done and I took the pie plate out as soon as I placed on stove it popped. And exploded with shards of glass everywhere. Thankfully my 3-year-old granddaughter had just left the kitchen area. Now with glass all over the place including in the stove where my dinner was still cooking - I was now out app and dinner and have bloody fingers. Unbelievably upset and won’t purchase anything from Pyrex again and emptied my kitchen of measuring cup, other pie plates and glass mixing bowl set. Money down the drain and this is a known issue!!! Thankfully no serious injuries.

Original review: July 27, 2020

We were baking a cake in a Pyrex glassware dish when it exploded in the oven. The oven was pre-heated to 350, nothing extreme. Put the dish in the oven and after 45 mins baking the cake was done and the oven was turned off. The dish was left in the oven to cool. About 10 -15 minutes later we heard a boom in the oven as the glassware exploded. We were baking the cake for our 4 year old who was anxious to see it come out of the oven. We're lucky and thankful it happened in the oven as we were moments from taking it out. It could've been much worse than just losing a cake and glassware if it had exploded out of the oven with our 4 year old nearby, which probably would've injured her along with us. It's unacceptable that this is s known issue and nothing is being done about it.

Original review: June 7, 2020

When removed from oven exploded from placing on top stove and shattered from fridge too. Counter exploded. When washed 3 times this product has failed me and cut me deeply. I will never recommend Pyrex. Also it's a well known fact drug addicts use the glass to make illicit drugs with.

Original review: May 10, 2020

I have been using Pyrex glass bakeware for more than 25 years and never had an experience like this. I was baking chicken (cut into small pieces) when the dish suddenly exploded in the oven! I was so glad no one was hurt, but I was shocked and very shook up. There was nothing left but a big mess of very small glass pieces. Of course, my chicken dinner went in the trash too. It was a big, disappointing mess to clean. It took so long to get all the glass out. I had to remove the lower panel of the oven to get it all out & think there may still be some pieces down there that I couldn't get to. I got a cut even though I was wearing gloves. Times are tough and we are tight on money. I just wish I could get some compensation for my exploded dish plus my free-range chicken dinner. Thank you.

Pyrex Cookware Company Information