1.30/5
Based on 638 reviews that contain star ratings

Looking for new cookware?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

1635 Pyrex Cookware Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

Wife was removing a Pyrex brand baking dish from oven after cook time had completed. Upon placing dish on cork pads atop counter before she was able to release her grip on the dish it exploded in her hands cutting her on the wrist, chin and under her eye.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

My husband was making squash in the oven (simply roasting it at 400 degrees with a little water). Half-way through it exploded. What a mess and expense. This is the second Pyrex dish to explode. I've thrown all other Pyrex products away and invested in Le Creuset.

Get expert buying tips about Cookware Brands delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I purchased several Pyrex brand bakeware and storage containers in August 2018. A few months later (last week - November 2018), I hand-washed my 9x13 inch Pyrex baking dish and left it to air dry on the countertop throughout the day. That evening, I pre-heated my oven to 425*, put a casserole in the room-temperature dish, placed it in the oven, and about 15 minutes later, the dish exploded all over my oven -- ruining my casserole and causing a huge mess. To be clear, this was not just a crack in the glass. The noise was very loud, and what I opened the oven to see was probably hundreds or thousands of small bits of glass in every corner of the oven.

I took photographs immediately because I knew I did nothing wrong and what happened was extremely dangerous. I have never had an issue with Pyrex in the past -- and I'm certain this was not a case of extreme temperature change beyond what Pyrex is advertised to withstand. Thankfully, no one was hurt. I am now afraid to use Pyrex brand bakeware because I've come across other similar stories from people who were not so lucky. I have emailed Pyrex, but I've read here and elsewhere that they are denying that this problem exists.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2018

We were making cheesy scalloped potatoes in our casserole pan. The pan has always been handled gently and used according to the manufacturer's instructions. This was not a case of thermal shock; the pan was room-temperature and the oven was pre-heated. About 15 minutes after we put the food into the oven, we heard a loud BANG from the kitchen. The pan had exploded. We rushed to turn off the oven, turn on fans, open doors and windows. We had to wait for the oven to cool before we could start cleaning.

Cleanup was dangerous; a lot of the pieces were quite large but a lot of little tiny shards were floating in liquid cheese. We had to work quickly, before the cheese solidified too much and cemented the smaller shards inside the oven. It took two angry, hungry and somewhat shaken people an hour, several doubled-up pairs of disposable gloves, and an entire roll of paper towels to clean up. After reading other people's stories, I'm just thankful it exploded inside the oven with the door close, and not into someone's face. I will NEVER buy Pyrex again, and I have already warned everyone I know that cooks to throw away their Pyrex.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2018

I was roasting eggplant at 400 degrees. I cut up four vegetables to saute with the eggplant. I took the eggplant out of the oven, and placed the Pyrex roasting pan on a section of my cutting board, because I had run out of counter space. The pan exploded violently, and covered my floor and all the vegetables with shards of glass. It also ruined the cutting board, which split. I ate a bowl of onions and rice that were already on the stovetop, and then felt something sharp in my mouth. Now I am worried that I could have ingested glass. I will never buy Pyrex again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Pyrex Cookware?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2018

I was making Greek lemon chicken & potatoes, which had been in the oven at 425° for 30 minutes. I pulled the dish out of the oven & put it on the granite countertop to remove the chicken, was about to place it back into the oven to brown the potatoes, when it EXPLODED violently!!! Glass literally everywhere, so scary!!! It even hit me in the chest/torso but I was thankfully wearing a hoodie so no injuries to myself. However, my fiancé came running into the kitchen when he heard the boom and cut his foot on some of the glass!! A truly awful experience. I will never use any glass bakeware again, and certainly not Pyrex.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

I put a large, room-temperature baking dish into a preheated 450-degree oven with a chicken in it. 20 minutes later I opened the oven to check on the chicken. The dish exploded and left glass and hot chicken juice all over. I had this baking dish over 10 years and had used it weekly for the same task with no issue. Very disappointed and now worried about my other Pyrex dishes.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2018

I was cooking stuffed mushrooms on a pie plate at 405F. I had preheated the oven and the mushrooms were cooking about 15 minutes before I heard a loud bang and glass breaking. The pie plate had broken in the oven. I have used this plate many times for about the last 10 years.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

I have been using Pyrex cookware for years, and I have had this glass pie dish for many years as well. I was baking fish at 425 degrees with a sauce made of Rotel tomatoes and peppers. It had been in the oven about 20 minutes. I opened the oven door to check on the food, took out the separate baking pan of potatoes and closed the oven door when I heard what sounded like a bunch of metal crashing. I looked in the oven and the Pyrex dish had exploded and glass was all over the oven. We had to let the oven cool, shovel out the glass with a spatula, vacuum it out, then scrub the entire oven. I guess I'm lucky I took the potatoes out and not the fish in the Pyrex, because it would have exploded in my hands. I'm not using Pyrex in the oven anymore!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

We were finishing off some chicken enchiladas in the oven, using a Pyrex baking dish, something we've done dozens and dozens of times. I heard a sound like cookie sheet falling somewhere, but couldn't see that anything had happened. When I opened the oven door to take out the enchiladas, the glass baking dish had shattered. I had never heard of such a thing happening, but now I see it's by no means uncommon. We had not in any way misused the dish. It had been in the oven at 350 for ten minutes when it shattered/exploded. Conclusion? No more pyrex dishes in the oven. Nothing but metal from now on.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Tonight we heard an explosion in our oven and opened the door to find the baking dish shattered in a million pieces. The dish was at room temp and the fish was just out of the refrigerator when it went into the oven at 375 degrees.

Original review: April 15, 2018

My dinner was cooking in a Pyrex glassware and it exploded in my face. Luckily I was ok but my oven is destroyed and glass is all over the kitchen. Luckily no huge fire but it's very dangerous. Needs to be recalled asap.

Original review: March 25, 2018

I had a glass pyrex bowl with lid that I loved and used frequently for storage in the refrigerator. This past week I was washing dishes and put the bowl (at room temperature, it had been emptied hours earlier) in my dishwater. As I was washing another dish, the Pyrex bowl shattered into hundreds of pieces in my dishwater!! I received a few small cuts, but it could have been a lot worse! I grew up believing Pyrex was the best, so this came as a shock... Came online looking for a warranty and found that I am not alone in having exploding Pyrex. So disappointing! I have the bowl in another container should Pyrex question my veracity.

Original review: March 8, 2018

I have had 2 glass 13 x 9 pans explode in the oven. I always have loved Pyrex but now I refuse to buy any more of them or Pyrex of any kind, I stick to metal. One pan had a beautiful roast with potatoes and vegetables. The other had chicken enchiladas, both these pans exploded and of course I had to toss the food out. Very disappointed in Pyrex, no more for me!!!

Original review: March 7, 2018

I have just read a ConsumerAffairs.com report about exploding Pyrex dishes and wish to share my experience. I was shocked at what I read in the report. At our wedding in 1959 in England we received a gift of Pyrex crockery. Sometime in the 1960s, now in Australia, I washed up the dinner plates in hot water and placed them on the kitchen worktop. After a few minutes there was a loud bang and the top plate exploded into numerous large shards, which remained on the top of the pile of plates in the shape of the plate. No damage was caused. I looked at the other plates and saw a lot of stress marks towards the centre of the plates. Pyrex replaced the plate without any question. We continued using the plates for some years without further incident.

Your article caused concern as we now have Pyrex jugs, bought in Australia at Woolworths and KMart, which we use to microwave various things, and understand from your report that they could be made of a different glass than the old set of plates. There is nothing on the Pyrex to say it is microwave safe, but we had always presumed Pyrex was safe to use. It appears from your report that it could be dangerous to use them. Is this really the case?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

My large Pyrex bowl shattered at room temperature last night as I was having a dinner party. It contained a large salad. No heat source anywhere near it. And it broke not once, but twice, and in mostly large shards. Luckily most of it was contained on the counter, but there were small slivers of glass on the floor, which my baby granddaughter had just been crawling on. This is disconcerting.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2018

I bought three of these dishes in mid December 2017, to use for entertaining my family over the holidays. The second time I used my new Pyrex dish was to reheat our regular sweet corn casserole the day after Christmas. I reheated it as normal and laid it gently on my stove top. Within moments, the dish literally exploded all over my kitchen. I was injured, but thankfully, not badly. Needless to say the dish could not be eaten and I have been afraid to use the additional two dishes I purchased since.

Dinner was ruined and the rest of the evening was spent gathering pieces of glass from all over our kitchen to prevent any further injuries from occurring. To add insult to injury, I lodged a complaint with Pyrex (via their website) on January 25 and they still have not even acknowledged it. I am thoroughly disappointed in this brand. Based on my experience, its products have proven to be unsafe and furthermore, their customer service department have not even recognized the fact that their faulty product caused me bodily harm.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

I purchased a 2-cup Pyrex measuring cup from Target. After only about a month, I dropped it on my laminate kitchen counter, and the handle cracked and chipped. I purchased another of the exact item to replace a few days ago. Brand new and never used, I put it in the dishwasher, top rack, to clean. When I opened the dishwasher the next day, I discovered the measuring cup had shattered, and there were glass shards all over the inside of the dishwasher, other dishes, and silverware. Huge headache to clean up. This product is supposed to be dishwasher safe. From my experience, this product poses a safety hazard.

Resolution response: Jan. 17, 2018

After my previous review detailing my Pyrex glassware exploding in the oven, I contacted the company and was really impressed with the customer service I received. A representative took a detailed report of my incident and informed me that in the future, I should not cook meat in the pan without enough liquid to cover the bottom of the pan. Since I didn't want to cook with liquid, she said I should be using stoneware, and they offered to send me a free stoneware pan with lid and several other items as well. I was swearing off Pyrex before, but I'm glad I called and will be happy to purchase from them in the future (just being more careful about using the glass pans).

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

I had some frozen chicken in the oven in my Pyrex glass baking dish. I've done this many times before, and I never saw a warning from Pyrex about cooking frozen food in its dishes. Suddenly there was a large bang from inside the oven. When I opened it, shards of glass were everywhere and fell out of the oven, all over the floor. Thank God my 16 month old wasn't standing next to me. It was a nightmare to clean up and I'm still terrified that I missed something and my baby will get into it. I had had that dish for 10 or so years but it had no visible signs of scratches or damage. After researching only, it appears that these problems are widespread and increasing with Pyrex. It's disturbing that nothing is being done about it.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2017

Made Cinnamon rolls xmas morning, set them on counter to cool off and left room. Heard a loud bang like someone had dropped about 10 plates on the floor. Discovered Pyrex rectangular baking pan had exploded, sending glass all over the kitchen and counters. Just an amazingly unexpected thing to happen, as everything was normal otherwise. No cracks, discoloring or anything in glass to hint at its potential for lethality. Had to throw the rolls away and clean and vacuum and clean again, still got cut from invisible shards everywhere! Wonder how things would have turned out standing next to it or dogs under counter where they usually are. Had my dogs been injured, I would have been really angry.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2017

My wife was cooking supper and inadvertently put a rectangular Pyrex baking dish on a hot red stove burner. Suddenly, we heard a loud noise as the Pyrex bakeware exploded in all directions. Glass flew up and out across the kitchen up to 6 feet away. Shards of glass from very minuscule (size of grain of sand) and up to 2 inches x 1 inch were scattered all over the kitchen floor. Additionally, the glass was still so very hot that it created a variety of burn marks (of varying sizes and depth) as far as 6 feet away on the linoleum flooring which will need to be replaced. Hope this helps people realize the potential hazard and use of Pyrex glass bakeware. Use with great care and risk!

Original review: Dec. 5, 2017

On Sunday morning, November 12th, We were baking biscuits in our oven. We were using a new dish from Pyrex, it was a casserole dish with blue swirls on it, we recently purchased it and had probably used it a handful of times. When the biscuits had finished baking, they were placed on the stovetop to cool down, as we always do. I was standing in front of the Oven when Suddenly the dish exploded, small and large shards of glass flew through the air with extreme force, covering the entire kitchen. I was in shock and my ears were ringing, I looked down because my foot felt strange and noticed it was covered in blood. I almost passed out, my husband carried me to a chair and ran to get a guest aid kit.

As the shock wore off, the Pain increased. My husband stopped the bleeding the best he could, that's when we noticed that the cut was on the top of my foot and that it was quite deep and wide. I decided to go to a urgent care to get it looked at as the bleeding didn't stop and I couldn't take a step without extreme pain. I received a few stitches at Urgent Care, the Dr. Said I was lucky it didn't hit the large vein right next to the wound, the vein was swollen because of the proximity to the wound.

I'm also lucky it didn't hit anywhere like my eyes and very fortunate that my small children were not in the kitchen at the time of the explosion. I contacted Pyrex the next day by email to inform them of this incident, I got no response. I then called them a few days later, I was told I would be contacted by someone who specializes in these "type of issues", I was also instructed to save any glass I had kept and was told that I would get instructions on sending it in for "testing".

A few days later I received an email from a woman named Cherri, she had several questions for me and said someone would contact me Shortly after my response. That was about 3 weeks ago now, I still have not heard back from anyone or gotten any further instruction, information or answers as to why this happened. Last week I emailed Cherri back to request a time estimate as to when I would be hearing from someone, I got no answer. It doesn't seem to me like Pyrex really cares that their product may be dangerous or that they were concerned that I was injured by using it. This incident caused me to need stitches, left me unable to walk without pain for weeks, and will leave a nasty scar too. It also scared my kids and I and caused me to fear using glassware to cook again.

The same night I was injured, I had a mutual Facebook friend who also had her Pyrex explode, that same day! This lead me to wonder if it was a common issue. Upon my own research, I found that a quite large number of people have had their newer model Pyrex explode on them, this doesn't seem to be an issue with the original, older Pyrex though. I also found out that this newer Pyrex is made from soda lime instead of the original borosilicate recipe, although soda lime is cheaper, it's much more prone to explosion. This new Pyrex isn't even owned by the same company or made in the USA anymore. Essentially this Pyrex is not really Pyrex at all, it just carries the name, only without the original quality or pride...

Original review: Nov. 18, 2017

I had company over to the house for a lasagna dinner and after spending a lot of money on the ingredients and cooking in the oven for almost 1 hour, the attached pictures show the end results. I had just taken it out of the oven, turned around for a quick second (thankfully) and the 8 1/2 x 14 Pyrex dish shattered all over my kitchen. I have never experienced this before and it was not an experience I want to relive. The glass went everywhere and needless to say all of the food was ruined. Pizza was ordered and I swore off ever owning Pyrex brand products again.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2017

Pyrex Easy Grab 8-Piece Glass Bakeware and Food Storage Set - I was baking yams in the largest pan. After I took the pan out of the oven and set it on top of the oven, it exploded. Shards of glass scattered all over the kitchen, as far as seven feet away. I am very lucky that I wasn't hurt and especially lucky that a shard of glass didn't end up in my eye! Unacceptable!

Original review: Oct. 26, 2017

Until this happened to me yesterday, I'd never heard of the Exploding Pyrex issue. I made a batch of mac-n-cheese on the stovetop, then wanted to bake it at 350 for about 20 minutes to finish it off. The Pyrex pan I used was fairly new, maybe a few years old. I've hardly used it, as I don't make many casseroles that need to be baked in the oven. I put the mac-n-cheese in the pan and set it on the oven rack. No more than five minutes later, there was a tremendous boom from the oven, which was the pan exploding into hundreds of tiny pieces.

Having googled this business and reading up on other reports, I can verify there was no undue stress placed on the pan. I am familiar with thermal shock, but this didn't happen. The pan was room temp. The mac-n-cheese was warm but by no means hot - Hell's Bells, I was taste-testing the stuff out of the stovetop pan with a spoon so it couldn't have been overly hot. The oven was preheated. The pan was essentially new, used maybe a couple of times. The pan has never been dropped or bumped. I can't explain how this happened, but I can assure readers of this review that EVERY piece of Pyrex in my house is going in the trash today. If this pan had shattered when I was lifting it out of the oven, it would have been all over me with glass shards and hot melted cheese.

I consider myself lucky there was no injury, but the mess in the oven was extraordinary. I had to scoop up the gloppy glass-and-cheese mess from the bottom of the oven, as well as shop vac the interior to get the rest of the glass shards, then apply a lot of elbow grease to clean up the oven racks and interior. It took over two hours to clean up. As this pan is several years old, I don't have the receipt anymore.

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

I was badly burned using a Pyrex dish in my microwave. This is NOT MICROWAVE SAFE, like it indicates on the bottom of this dish. Pyrex is no longer be a TRUSTED NAME. This is the second MISHAP using Pyrex. The first MISHAP happened right after washing another Pyrex dish, I was towel drying it and it SHATTERED right in my hands! You must recall all your products before a HORRIFIC accident happens.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

My uncle was baking a cobbler at 350 degrees in a Pyrex dish purchased at Walmart. When it was ready to come out, it looked beautiful; a light golden brown. He gently slid the cobbler onto a dry kitchen surface when it suddenly exploded!! Not cracked... Exploded!!! Glass shattered everywhere; all throughout the kitchen and living room. He barely turned his head in time or glass could have been in his eyes; my uncle looked down. His feet and legs had glass shards in them; bleeding everywhere. Cobbler was leaking boiling hot sauce all over us as we attempted to clean. This was a week ago. After an hour or more clean up and thrown away cobbler, we are still stepping on small pieces of glass in the kitchen and living room. Looked online and noticed this is happening to a lot of people. Snopes said it was a "rumor"; that it doesn't explode. Ha! They don't know what they're talking about. It exploded.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

I used my Pyrex 2 cup measuring cup yesterday evening to measure room temperature ingredients. I washed the cup in warm water and set it on a paper towel on my countertop to dry. Sometime during the night, the cup spontaneously shattered. While most of the glass remained where it shattered, small glass shards were dispersed onto the floor and across the counter. Scary, especially as this event did not involve any kind of rapid temperature change.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

Our family's 9x13 Pyrex casserole dish exploded loudly while in the oven cooking chicken at 425. Glass shards went everywhere and the RV we live in was full of smoke. The explosion was very loud and frightening. I cut myself 4 times cleaning up the entire mess. No dinner for us now! I am angry!

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

Shattered Macaroni. It's a horrible shame how my family had to sit through an explosion of glass shattering in my oven. My poor dog barked hysterically, and all I could do was turn the oven off until the popping stopped.

Pyrex Cookware Company Information