2. Miscellaneous

Genie Garage Doors

3.9/5 (213 ratings)

About Genie Garage Doors

Genie Garage Doors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Genie Garage Doors?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Genie?

Original review: June 17, 2018

One of the reasons we purchased a Genie opener was the product warranty. What we didn't understand about this at the time is that the warranty applies if you have a ladder, a toolbox, are willing/able to take the unit apart and follow diagnostic instruction on the phone from an individual reading from a script - and go through this numerous times until, maybe, maybe the problem part is identified. Then you must be willing to pay for shipping for said part and install it yourself when it arrives. You also need to be prepared to go through this process several times, on each occasion, waiting to speak to someone from the company after being on hold for anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes. We finally gave up on the "warrantied" Genie and went with another brand. The entire experience was a frustrating headache.

Original review: May 4, 2018

We haven't been in our brand new house since February and I see that we're dealing with a subpar product with this garage door opener. It unexpectedly opened up in the middle of the night and would not open up the next morning. Twice within 3 months. The wall light and overhead lights stopped working and the sensors became unaligned. Very unreliable. And it was professionally installed. Called several times and still seeking a resolution.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

READ THIS BEFORE BUYING!!! I have bought the Genie brand for years and consider myself a professional installer. Not until I installed one in one of my own homes did I have so much trouble. It starts out with the doors down limit changing. The door comes down to far then comes open again like it should with a obstruction. This caused damage to my brand new door, tearing out the screws that hold the bracket to the door. Not cool. Had to through bolt it to prevent further damage. I readjust the down limit and a few days, a week it will do it again. It took several calls to Genie with the problem to get some results out of them. They did not know what was wrong with it so they finally sent out everything but the motor and cover. I mean everything! This was only after I signed a waiver that I wouldn't sue them for the door damage!!!

I installed all the parts and it worked for little over a year. I called them again and was told it's now out of warranty, Same problem a year later?! My son bought a Genie, different model but he also has had problems. Genie has replaced his circuit board a couple of times. It is obvious to me that they have problems with there product. I will never buy Genie again. Going out today and pick up a Lift Master. Do not buy a Genie!! You will be taking the chance of getting a unit that will have to be replaced in a short time.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have had two different Genie garage door openers in two different locations. Both came with the houses when I bought them, one was a used home, the other was in a brand-new home. The first screw-drive unit failed catastrophically when the plastic gear on the motor exploded into three or four large pieces. This was in about 2011 or so. After a VERY long wait on hold, I had a replacement gear sent to me for less than $10 during a 5 minute call - I had already determined the issue and knew what I needed. I replaced the gear, and the opener functioned again for about 10 months, before the gear broke again, this time taking out the plastic gear cover AND the plastic housing. Refusing to put even another dime, minute of time on hold, or working on it more, I bought a Chamberlain opener and swore off Genie forever.

Fast forward to early 2015, when I purchased a new home, equipped with a Genie ReliaG 650 belt drive opener. I was initially impressed with how quiet it was, but was still wary of the brand and their quality. In very early 2018, the door flatly refused to open more than 8" at a time, and would no longer close with the opener button or remotes. I followed the troubleshooting guides in the manual as well as online. Repeatedly, the LED indicators either were solid red (indicating that the open/close limits needed to be programmed), or both purple (indicating 'component failure'). Repeated attempts to program the closing limits were unsuccessful. Since the motor, cogs/belts, traveler, and sensors were all functioning, I surmised that the circuit board was the 'component failure'. I called Genie and because of the over 1 1/2 hour projected wait time, I opted to leave a number and get a callback - which never happened.

After two days of waiting for a callback, I opted to try again, but wait on hold for the next CSR. Quoted wait time was 60 minutes, I did not get to talk to someone for over 90 minutes. At the end of the call, and after 30 minutes of troubleshooting, they told me that the circuit board was malfunctioning and quoted me $100 for a new one (since it was not covered by any warranty). Since this was nearly half the cost of a new opener, I opted to buy a Chamberlain this morning.

I strongly recommend that anyone buying a garage door opener consider ANYTHING other than the junk that this company produces. Their warranty covers ONLY the two parts (motor and belt) that almost NEVER fail, and then produce substandard components for everything else that are covered by a pathetic 1 year warranty. Judging by the background noise, the poor CSRs are dealing with their garbage breaking all day, every day. Not a good sign... and it's clear that Genie has done nothing to improve quality in the last 10 years.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I just had my Genie garage door opener replaced. It was only 4 years old. I was told by my handyman that the motherboard was corroded. I have had nothing but problems with it since it was installed. Sometimes it would open and sometimes it wouldn’t. Also, it was very noisy. I called a garage door company and they also told me the motherboard was corroded. I told them I wanted to replace the opener. They did not pressure me at all. I now have a LiftMaster which seems to be working perfectly and I can’t believe how much quieter it is.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Genie garage door openers - Anybody going to buy a GENIE product you need to call their tech support and see what you will have to go thru if you have a problem. I will never buy another GENIE product as every time I have called them it has been a hour and half to 2-hour wait. Hope this helps somebody.

Original review: July 8, 2017

To summarize: If I could do less than a one-star rating I would. Less than 3 years old. Professionally installed by Home Depot subcontractor (did a great job). Installed in a condo in an elderly community where my 79 year old parents reside. Stopped working June 5, 2017. Contacted customer service on June 6, 2017 (my 79 year old father). Subjected him to an hour of "technical support and troubleshooting". That is what Genie calls it. I would call it something else but it is not appropriate in a review.

Sent a new circuit board. Circuit board replacement did not fix it. My father called back. (30 minutes with support) Sent him a decoder. Did not fix it. All this is over a month. (This is still under warranty for parts... They don't cover labor.) They expect a 79 year old man to do it. I call Genie today. I start at level one support (after waiting 25 minutes but as their relentless on-hold message says, "your call is very important to us".) Have to give them the entire sequence despite giving them an incident number and a source phone number.

Shifted to level two support after 20 minutes with level one support. (Wait 5 more minutes to get a human in level two support.) I then have to go through the sequence of events again. Level two tells me they will NOT send someone to fix it. I must pay for that. They want to continue to "troubleshoot" it. I blow a gasket saying "how much abuse is a customer to face?" I asked for a voucher to get a new product and I will install it myself. I am told no and that we must continue to "troubleshoot" Blew a gasket. Hung up. Went to Home Depot. Bought a Chamberlain. The opener and install was $295. Will do all I can to make sure no one buys a Genie. If anyone needs a good doorstop I have a Genie Garage Door Opener you can have. Side note Genie. If you happen to see this and care. The incident number is **. Feel free to review and listen to my last call. If you are a rational human being you would also have blown a gasket.

Original review: June 24, 2017

Replaced motor - My experience was similar as the others. Long wait time (45 - 60 minute wait on phone). I also had disagreeable and combative reps for my initial contact. However, I persevered with my complaint of a failed motor to additional reps and finally reached 2 who sympathized with my ordeal. They were so great. They even called me back when we got disconnected and sent me a free motor including shipping to make up for the terrible service I received from the others. So my advice to you is don't give up because not all reps are created equal some are spectacular and will make up for the lousy ones but you have to keep calling back till you get a good one.

Original review: June 23, 2017

After troubleshooting my Genie 2024 I determined I needed replacement parts on a 4-year-old unit. I did a quick Google search on Genie parts and came across the hundreds of bad reviews of the Genie openers on this website site and immediately had a bad feeling that I was soon going to be SOL on my busted opener. I called the 1-800 number for them and got an American who was from a call center in Texas. He walked thru the troubleshooting with me and found the circuit board needed to be replaced.

Once we found that out he took all my mailing info and said a new one was on its way. 10 days later the thing arrives. I haven't put it in yet to see if that's the solve but he never once even asked the age of the unit or any type info to verify the purchase or did he give me any hassle at all. It was definitely not what I was expecting after reading all the bad reviews on here about the brutal customer service or them not standing behind their lifetime warranty so maybe they've made some major changes or have been listening to customers or maybe I just lucked out but there is hope if you're standing in front of a bummed unit wondering who's going to help you now.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

PowerMax 1200 shaft driven unit stopped working in 18 months of use. I purchased this unit as it was advertising lifetime warranty on the motor and 5 years on other parts. I was not aware that it takes long time to get a hold off customer service as it is only reachable over the phone. Each department places you on hold for about the same time as previous one. It takes multiple departments to process the claim. Fine print somewhere in the warranty description (I was told) claims that after first year you will be charged shipping fees on replacement parts and warranty applies only to the original owner of the unit. You should expect to be argued with, they will not value your time and try to be cheap as possible when assisting you.

Genie Garage Doors Company Information