1.42/5
Based on 113 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

126 Genie Garage Doors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I purchased a new home in 2014. About a year and a half after moving in, the Genie Garage door opener started a loud grinding noise which progressively got worse over the next week and eventually resulted in the death of the unit. Since I wasn't the owner of the original unit, I went to Home Depot and purchased a brand new Genie unit. I installed the unit in 2016 and everything worked until October 2018. For some reason the device stopped functioning altogether. I will say that the customer service people I spoke with on that call were very nice, and very helpful. I couldn't find my receipt from the purchase in 2016, so the representative took a number off the device and determined from that number the manufacture date to be in 2015.

As a one time courtesy she offered to send me the parts needed to fix the issue. A very nice gesture. I was provided the new parts she determined that I needed. I received the parts a few days after the call and installed them. The parts didn't help as it was later determined that the device sustained bigger problems from the surge and needed to be replaced altogether. November 17, 2018 I went to Home Depot and bought another unit for $250. This time, as instructed by the Technician I sent the receipt for this purchase to Genie Support. I installed the unit and everything worked as intended.

January 2019, we experienced a cold snap (15-17 degrees). I pressed the wall mounted door opener to open the door, the door opened half way when I heard a loud pop. The loop on the carriage cracked and broke, halting the progress of the door and sending the arm falling down from the track, narrowly missing my brand new $65000 truck. Whew! Ok, That day I reached out to Genie with the expectation they would send me a new carriage. The representative I got this time was very short and curt with me over IM. After my explaining the situation, she told me that I would have to call in...then abruptly ended the conversation. I was a little irritated by that, but ok...my experience from the first two people was good so I let it go.

February 4, 2019, I was out of town on business for two weeks and upon my return finally found some time to address the garage door. I called Genie Support as I was instructed to do from the prior conversation and Spoke to a gentleman. I couldn't understand his name... He asked whom I was and I gave him my information. He ran me through opening the door and a few other diagnostics which clearly showed the door and the unit were correctly installed. I explained my situation from before but I could tell he wasn't listening to me. He told me that their parts distribution system was down but I could obtain a new carriage locally...to which I asked under warranty? He said no. I would have to buy it. I politely told him that I had purchased this unit in November of the prior fall and that this unit carries a 5 year warranty. Why would I need to buy a failed part?

At this point I was met with what I would call a passive confrontation, with no benefit of the doubt. He told me that they had given me a one time courtesy once before and that was all they would do. I politely told him that I had purchased a new unit since that one time courtesy and as instructed, submitted the receipt to Genie via their designated email address... I later received a confirmation that they had the receipt. I could tell his patience with me was wearing thin. As one guy to another I told him that I wasn't BSing him. I was telling the truth and if he wanted I could send him a copy of the original receipt, as well as a copy of the confirmation from Genie. I don't think I was being confrontational in any way...and neither did my wife, whom was in the room listening to the conversation. But at this point the Rep interrupted me asking me to remain Professional.

I was taken aback. OK so...I started to say something and he cut me off. I felt I had held my composure up to this point... I had had it. He wasn't listening to me, He completely discounted me, inferred that I was lying to him and now was telling me to remain professional? Wow. A textbook example of what not to do when representing your brand. A very bad experience on that call and I can tell you that I did this nature of work early in my career for Moen Faucets for 6 years...so I know What to do and not do when representing a product.

Since the call was escalating and I was getting nowhere with this guy, I hung up. I then re-sent a copy of my original receipt from November 2018 along with the confirmation from the original attempt. I once again received another confirmation that they received my documentation...so I'm under the hope they do the right thing and support their product as the warranty states. Judging from this last experience I don't feel it's promising. We will see, and I will update this post with how things pan out.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

I purchased my Genie Garage Door opener from Home Depot years ago. It come with a Lifetime Warranty for Parts, Motor and In-home Service. Between the name and the warranty is why I purchased this unit. I truly thought if anything happened, Genie would stand behind their product. Well it's been down for over a month and it's been one runaround after another. First, it took over 2 weeks to get someone on the phone. Then another 3 days to get a supervisor to call me back. Finally they agreed to send me the part (By snail mail of course). Once it was received I installed the part, only to find out it still didn't work.

I called again only to be told I needed another part. Again it would be shipped by snail mail but no guarantee it would work. I asked for a supervisor to call me back, it's been a week. When I called today, I was told I was still in the supervisor's system to call back. Genie's way of blowing you off! Remember the old saying "Happy Wife, Happy Life"? Well the wife's not happy. I'll be buying a new LiftMaster or Chamberlain tomorrow. As for the Genie Corporation, it's really too bad they have fallen to the bottom of their industry.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Dec. 15, 2018

We installed the SilentMax and found that it is easy to strip some of the threads (cheap metal), but managed to install. It worked for a few years, slowly getting louder over time (It was silent initially). Last night we had a power surge which tripped four of our circuits and two GFCI outlets in the home. One cheaper weather station base (two prong) died, and the garage door opener. Everything else in the house is fine.

I called support and was told there is a fuse on the unit, but soldered on... and I would likely have to replace the whole unit. I tried chat support (at the same time while I was waiting) and the support person didn't even read what I was typing... throwing some scripted responses at me. After reading the reviews I will choose to replace the unit with a different brand. I'll go with what my neighbor installed. His is still working fine through the power surge. I can't believe a power surge would kill a garage door opener... no protection inside the unit? What a waste of resources to throw it out.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

I have two of these and a friend has one only a few years old. What happens is one day they go up and then go dead. No way to fix it. Everything else is great, screw, motor, etc but you have to throw the piece of crap door opener away. They probably have some second rate control board, low bid item that just fails for no reason other than it is being used. I will never buy crap from this company again. If I could rate it a negative one I would.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I purchased a Genie Garage Door Opener from Home Depot and had it installed by a contractor about two weeks ago. The garage door opener did not function and after almost one hour on the phone with Genie Technical Support I was told that the unit has a bad circuit board. For the past 10 days I have been on the phone with Genie and I have been repeatedly told that they would ship me a new circuit board since the unit is under warranty. Today I received a call stating that they now need the serial number of the unit, which was given to them 10 days ago. My frustration level is very high and I am just going to remove the unit and return it to Home Depot and buy another opener made by someone else. I will never deal with this company again. Horrible Customer Service!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Genie?

Original review: July 19, 2018

I purchased a Genie Garage Door opener from Home Depot and they came and installed the wrong opener. Told them before they did it that it was the wrong opener and they installed anyway. Eventually they brought the right one and installed it however after about 2 weeks it quit working. Here they did not change out the sensor lines during installation and the new system shorted them out. Called Genie and they totally refused to do anything about it and were totally rude on the phone. I will never buy another Genie product again.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I purchase a Genie garage door opener on 11-14-16 from Home Depot. Home Depot made arrangement to have the Authorized Service Provider perform the installation service. I pay a total of $324.44 dollars for the Genie along with the Service. I came home several times to find my garage door wide open and twice while sitting in my home. I made a call to the Genie Company to tell them the problem that I was having for them to tell me to get on a ladder and push buttons. I didn't know my warranty applies if you have a ladder and a toolbox, and willing and able to go through instruction on the phone from an individual reading from a script and cannot answer not one question you ask her.

And have you go thru this numerous time that didn't not fix the problem. After all that she tells me maybe it's the cover that covers the member board. Which is just a cover. Then you are ask to pay shipping wish is $8.00 dollars. I ask her will someone come and take care of this when it arrived, she said no I will have to do it myself, or ask my neighbor if they could help me. Now my warranty expires on 11-14-2018. so I have little time left. The Genie company I will never buy from again.

Original review: June 17, 2018

One of the reasons we purchased a Genie opener was the product warranty. What we didn't understand about this at the time is that the warranty applies if you have a ladder, a toolbox, are willing/able to take the unit apart and follow diagnostic instruction on the phone from an individual reading from a script - and go through this numerous times until, maybe, maybe the problem part is identified. Then you must be willing to pay for shipping for said part and install it yourself when it arrives. You also need to be prepared to go through this process several times, on each occasion, waiting to speak to someone from the company after being on hold for anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes. We finally gave up on the "warrantied" Genie and went with another brand. The entire experience was a frustrating headache.

Original review: May 4, 2018

We haven't been in our brand new house since February and I see that we're dealing with a subpar product with this garage door opener. It unexpectedly opened up in the middle of the night and would not open up the next morning. Twice within 3 months. The wall light and overhead lights stopped working and the sensors became unaligned. Very unreliable. And it was professionally installed. Called several times and still seeking a resolution.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

READ THIS BEFORE BUYING!!! I have bought the Genie brand for years and consider myself a professional installer. Not until I installed one in one of my own homes did I have so much trouble. It starts out with the doors down limit changing. The door comes down to far then comes open again like it should with a obstruction. This caused damage to my brand new door, tearing out the screws that hold the bracket to the door. Not cool. Had to through bolt it to prevent further damage. I readjust the down limit and a few days, a week it will do it again. It took several calls to Genie with the problem to get some results out of them. They did not know what was wrong with it so they finally sent out everything but the motor and cover. I mean everything! This was only after I signed a waiver that I wouldn't sue them for the door damage!!!

I installed all the parts and it worked for little over a year. I called them again and was told it's now out of warranty, Same problem a year later?! My son bought a Genie, different model but he also has had problems. Genie has replaced his circuit board a couple of times. It is obvious to me that they have problems with there product. I will never buy Genie again. Going out today and pick up a Lift Master. Do not buy a Genie!! You will be taking the chance of getting a unit that will have to be replaced in a short time.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have had two different Genie garage door openers in two different locations. Both came with the houses when I bought them, one was a used home, the other was in a brand-new home. The first screw-drive unit failed catastrophically when the plastic gear on the motor exploded into three or four large pieces. This was in about 2011 or so. After a VERY long wait on hold, I had a replacement gear sent to me for less than $10 during a 5 minute call - I had already determined the issue and knew what I needed. I replaced the gear, and the opener functioned again for about 10 months, before the gear broke again, this time taking out the plastic gear cover AND the plastic housing. Refusing to put even another dime, minute of time on hold, or working on it more, I bought a Chamberlain opener and swore off Genie forever.

Fast forward to early 2015, when I purchased a new home, equipped with a Genie ReliaG 650 belt drive opener. I was initially impressed with how quiet it was, but was still wary of the brand and their quality. In very early 2018, the door flatly refused to open more than 8" at a time, and would no longer close with the opener button or remotes. I followed the troubleshooting guides in the manual as well as online. Repeatedly, the LED indicators either were solid red (indicating that the open/close limits needed to be programmed), or both purple (indicating 'component failure'). Repeated attempts to program the closing limits were unsuccessful. Since the motor, cogs/belts, traveler, and sensors were all functioning, I surmised that the circuit board was the 'component failure'. I called Genie and because of the over 1 1/2 hour projected wait time, I opted to leave a number and get a callback - which never happened.

After two days of waiting for a callback, I opted to try again, but wait on hold for the next CSR. Quoted wait time was 60 minutes, I did not get to talk to someone for over 90 minutes. At the end of the call, and after 30 minutes of troubleshooting, they told me that the circuit board was malfunctioning and quoted me $100 for a new one (since it was not covered by any warranty). Since this was nearly half the cost of a new opener, I opted to buy a Chamberlain this morning.

I strongly recommend that anyone buying a garage door opener consider ANYTHING other than the junk that this company produces. Their warranty covers ONLY the two parts (motor and belt) that almost NEVER fail, and then produce substandard components for everything else that are covered by a pathetic 1 year warranty. Judging by the background noise, the poor CSRs are dealing with their garbage breaking all day, every day. Not a good sign... and it's clear that Genie has done nothing to improve quality in the last 10 years.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I just had my Genie garage door opener replaced. It was only 4 years old. I was told by my handyman that the motherboard was corroded. I have had nothing but problems with it since it was installed. Sometimes it would open and sometimes it wouldn’t. Also, it was very noisy. I called a garage door company and they also told me the motherboard was corroded. I told them I wanted to replace the opener. They did not pressure me at all. I now have a LiftMaster which seems to be working perfectly and I can’t believe how much quieter it is.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Genie garage door openers - Anybody going to buy a GENIE product you need to call their tech support and see what you will have to go thru if you have a problem. I will never buy another GENIE product as every time I have called them it has been a hour and half to 2-hour wait. Hope this helps somebody.

Original review: July 8, 2017

To summarize: If I could do less than a one-star rating I would. Less than 3 years old. Professionally installed by Home Depot subcontractor (did a great job). Installed in a condo in an elderly community where my 79 year old parents reside. Stopped working June 5, 2017. Contacted customer service on June 6, 2017 (my 79 year old father). Subjected him to an hour of "technical support and troubleshooting". That is what Genie calls it. I would call it something else but it is not appropriate in a review.

Sent a new circuit board. Circuit board replacement did not fix it. My father called back. (30 minutes with support) Sent him a decoder. Did not fix it. All this is over a month. (This is still under warranty for parts... They don't cover labor.) They expect a 79 year old man to do it. I call Genie today. I start at level one support (after waiting 25 minutes but as their relentless on-hold message says, "your call is very important to us".) Have to give them the entire sequence despite giving them an incident number and a source phone number.

Shifted to level two support after 20 minutes with level one support. (Wait 5 more minutes to get a human in level two support.) I then have to go through the sequence of events again. Level two tells me they will NOT send someone to fix it. I must pay for that. They want to continue to "troubleshoot" it. I blow a gasket saying "how much abuse is a customer to face?" I asked for a voucher to get a new product and I will install it myself. I am told no and that we must continue to "troubleshoot" Blew a gasket. Hung up. Went to Home Depot. Bought a Chamberlain. The opener and install was $295. Will do all I can to make sure no one buys a Genie. If anyone needs a good doorstop I have a Genie Garage Door Opener you can have. Side note Genie. If you happen to see this and care. The incident number is **. Feel free to review and listen to my last call. If you are a rational human being you would also have blown a gasket.

Original review: June 24, 2017

Replaced motor - My experience was similar as the others. Long wait time (45 - 60 minute wait on phone). I also had disagreeable and combative reps for my initial contact. However, I persevered with my complaint of a failed motor to additional reps and finally reached 2 who sympathized with my ordeal. They were so great. They even called me back when we got disconnected and sent me a free motor including shipping to make up for the terrible service I received from the others. So my advice to you is don't give up because not all reps are created equal some are spectacular and will make up for the lousy ones but you have to keep calling back till you get a good one.

Original review: June 23, 2017

After troubleshooting my Genie 2024 I determined I needed replacement parts on a 4-year-old unit. I did a quick Google search on Genie parts and came across the hundreds of bad reviews of the Genie openers on this website site and immediately had a bad feeling that I was soon going to be SOL on my busted opener. I called the 1-800 number for them and got an American who was from a call center in Texas. He walked thru the troubleshooting with me and found the circuit board needed to be replaced.

Once we found that out he took all my mailing info and said a new one was on its way. 10 days later the thing arrives. I haven't put it in yet to see if that's the solve but he never once even asked the age of the unit or any type info to verify the purchase or did he give me any hassle at all. It was definitely not what I was expecting after reading all the bad reviews on here about the brutal customer service or them not standing behind their lifetime warranty so maybe they've made some major changes or have been listening to customers or maybe I just lucked out but there is hope if you're standing in front of a bummed unit wondering who's going to help you now.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

PowerMax 1200 shaft driven unit stopped working in 18 months of use. I purchased this unit as it was advertising lifetime warranty on the motor and 5 years on other parts. I was not aware that it takes long time to get a hold off customer service as it is only reachable over the phone. Each department places you on hold for about the same time as previous one. It takes multiple departments to process the claim. Fine print somewhere in the warranty description (I was told) claims that after first year you will be charged shipping fees on replacement parts and warranty applies only to the original owner of the unit. You should expect to be argued with, they will not value your time and try to be cheap as possible when assisting you.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

Genie SilentMax 1000 - My garage door opener died after less than 2-3 years of light use. The motor crapped out and stopped working. I had the installation records and even the original box, and they still wouldn't honor the warranty on the motor because we bought the home in 2013 and were the second owners of the house which was built in 2011. The warranty does not pass on to the residence owners. Essentially, they do not intend to support their products and say the motor has a so-called lifetime warranty when the reality is that you will be given BS excuses. Worst experience I've had in a long time when something relatively new has legitimately failed early.

Resolution response: Feb. 20, 2017

I posted my review on several websites, including where I bought the opener. It quickly grabbed the attention of Genie. I received a call from a high-level manager at Genie asking about my review. When I discussed the situation with her, she immediately said she would send a replacement unit and discuss how it was handled by their customer support. Very pleased with her support. Rating went up a bit. It is true report where the vendor will see it. If they care they will react. If they don't the review sticks.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

This morning I could not get the opener to work (only 2 years old). Saw the red flashing indicator ("component failure"). Called Genie. Waited over half hour before talking with support. I first explained what is happening and all the steps I already took. He went through this long process repeating the same steps over and over. When I questioned him he said "We need to follow procedures." At each step I repeated the gear on the opener is slamming. Finally after another half hour he said "the circuit board needs to be replaced". Guess what? Not under warranty, I have to pay. When I asked him why he was not addressing the gear box on the unit slamming he simply repeated "it's the circuit board." He then explained the circuit board told the motor to start and stop. I added but "not to slam." He would not address.

Since I had a second identical unit that worked, I then asked what if I remove the functioning circuit board and place it in the non-working unit and it still did not work? What would be his diagnosis then. He said that would not change his finding. I asked him So what then. He said he would still have me purchase a new board. (Even though it still did not work with a function board!!!) I then asked to speak to a supervisor. He said one would call in a couple of days. I asked him so there are no supervisors all day today or tomorrow. He only repeated "none available now." Clearly Genie support is working on a script no matter what happens. THEIR ONLY SOLUTION IS NEVER REPLACE FOR FREE! BTW 30 years ago I purchased two Sears openers. They both worked until we tore the garage down.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

Please do yourself a favor and do not buy any screw drive product from Genie. I bought 2 for my brand new home that I personally build. After about a month, I was having issues with the openers with the travel limits and then the unit has to be reprogrammed and is a real pain. The door will bounce back open and can be a real security problem for my family. Plus, when the weather gets colder, the problem is even worse. The product design is very poorly engineered with plastic clips holding in the screw and quickly wear out. Big difference from the past Genie products I knew and used. Immensely dissatisfied with this product and Genie is not standing behind it for a solution. I'm left with two expensive door openers that don't work. Completely unacceptable!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2016

Genie Garage Door Opener 1000 silent max - Stopped working two years after installation... not bad compared to other reviews which stopped after 2 months!! It moves about two inches and stops and not being able to limit programming. Called customer service two times but on hold for over 30 min. Scraped the opener.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2016

3 weeks ago while driving out of the garage I pushed the remote to close the door and the trunk was hit by the door. Instead of the door going back up, it continued down the back of the car and bent the heck out of the garage door. My understanding is that when the door hits resistance, it should go back up! Car was only scratched but the door is a total loss. We were told a 'rep' had to look at the door. So 2 weeks later a rep showed up, at 10:30 for a 1:00 appointment. We were just driving up when he was ready to leave. His statement was that obviously the door had been hit from the outside while it was down. Not true. We had to send in pictures, and the sheet he filled out and proof of the Genie purchase, which was then told to us by a rude sales rep that it couldn't be read and we had to do a better job. And that this could also take a few more months.

In the meantime, rats and mice have easy access to our garage. Winter is around the corner, and our van and other equipment are locked in the garage because the door is so bent we can't get it to go up. I am convinced after reading all these bad reviews that it is time to replace the door and get a new non-Genie opener. Will have to check Consumers Reports this time for a good one.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2016

The opening unit itself has worked quite well for me for the last 3 years. The garage was built in late 1995, so the opening unit would have been purchased after building the garage and installed. However, when I bought the house, the previous folks only had one opener. They had purchased replacements but those never worked. I tried them, they did not work. Recently having lost my opener, I went to the Genie website and found the remote opener which looks exactly like mine -- ordered it -- and then haven't been able to find the dip switches on the hanging unit in the garage so I can set it to work. Called the company and they said look where the antennae protrudes as that's where the dip switches should be.

Emailed them today -- as I climbed a ladder and short of dismantling the housing from the unit, I could not find any dip switches. I was told promptly (within 15 minutes of sending the email) that they could not provide advice or parts for any unit made before 1993 due to changes in state laws!!! REALLY??? Then why did they sell me a remote??? I will NOT be buying any other Genie products -- I don't care what they're for or how well they are or aren't made. There are NO state laws in Michigan which prevent providing replacement remotes or advice for this unit.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

I just bought a Belt Drive 750 model. Reading the instruction got a question that any outsider can erase all programming pin code and put new one from outside keypad. I called customer service to verify that info. I been on hold for 45 minutes and finally I hanged up. Is a keypad unsafe and anyone can reset from outside???

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

I have replaced 4 Genie Garage Door lifters in less than 1 year. They are junk. I replaced the Genies with a LiftMaster and it works great. Stay away from Genie garage door lifters. They are not worth the trouble. Go with a LiftMaster. They are great.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2016

Silent max 1000 - I have more calls to Genie than all other products I own combined. If you read the reviews you will notice a common thread from support. It's your door causing the problem not their hunk of ** opener. The remotes have very poor range. The response time is so slow you end up pushing the button multiple times. If you text a lot this may be a good feature. Push the button, send a few text then look at the door to see if it is moving. I will never buy another Genie product!!!

Original review: July 28, 2016

I have had at least a dozen garage door openers, mostly Chamberlain's but one very old Electro lift, all were superior to the current Genie Powermax 1500 I have now!!! I have had to replace the control board twice once when new and again when it stopped working and I called the company for assistance and was told "we will not help you until you replace the control board which is under a recall." So I had to wait until the parts arrived and repaired it myself, worst customer support and a terrible product, it will on occasions forget all of the settings and then it won't open, close or do anything until you go through the setup process again. Don't buy a Genie - find anything else!!!

Original review: July 1, 2016

The opener unit has always had trouble communicating with the outside keypad. Today the entire system failed including the inside opener. We followed the instructions for resetting and testing the opener, nothing worked. Buy a Chamberlain instead.

Original review: June 24, 2016

Just got off the phone with Genie Garage Doors openers for the second time. Both times a 20 minute wait, just to talk to an aggressive obnoxious rep. They insisted that my door was causing the problem. They had a rep come by and tested the door. Said it was fine, then demanded $94 for stopping by. Meanwhile, they had to give me a new control board and sensor on warranty. People, find a better brand than Genie. I won't use them again.

Original review: June 23, 2016

I purchased a Genie Garage door opener in March 2016 from Lowe's and after installation it worked about a month and then the belt broke. When I called Genie customer service they told me that it was under warranty and I just needed to answer a few questions before they could send me my part. Sounds easy enough? Not so. After being on hold forever, I get this technician who basically tries to tell me that my garage door is the problem because their belt wouldn't just break. Well that's funny because I'm sure reading a lot about belt problems on this site. And the old garage door opener had been on the house for over 20 years with no problems so it's not the door. Genie should stand behind their products and follow-up with the warranty. I paid $250 for this opener which can't even be used. Poor customer service, poor quality, poor company.

Genie Garage Doors Company Information