2. Miscellaneous

Genie Garage Doors

4.0/5 (129 ratings)

About Genie Garage Doors

Genie Garage Doors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Genie Garage Doors?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Genie?

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

Brought door opener at Home Depot. They installed everything fine. Filled out warranty registration and that's when it all started. Got 3 emails to send additional info which I did. Now I cant even get them to answer my emails and I need service, Have had opener less than 60 days. I would not deal with this company again

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

My Genie garage door opener broke after 12 years (came with the house). A technician came to fix the problem, he checked the sensors, installed new springs and balanced the door. He found a problem in the "circuit board" and suggested calling the Genie company to replace the motor, counting on "lifetime" warranty. I had to be on the phone for many hours to speak with a 3rd level agent on 3 different occasions, but they kept telling me that the circuit board, which is the "BRAIN" of the motor WAS NOT including in the warranty because it is NOT THE MOTOR... So, what was the solution? YOU SHOULD BUY A NEW UNIT... Thank you, Genie and goodbye... forever.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

I recently purchased a Genie Garage Door Opener with an extension because I have an 8' door. The opener was purchased through Walmart, the extension through Genie. The opener was a nightmare to attempt to install. I've installed door openers before and never had a problem, I even had 2 of my mechanically inclined friends try to help me with no luck. I returned the opener through Walmart and when I went on the Genie web page to return the extension their policy is if it's opened they won't take it back, I even e-mailed the company to try to reason with them but no luck.

By the way, the extension was opened but never taken out of the box, Genie still didn't care, too bad for me. I'm hoping that the return through Walmart goes through, I assume it will, but because it's a third party purchase I guess there's a chance Genie will reject it, I'll find out in a couple days. My wife and I purchase a great deal of stuff online and can I honestly say that I've never dealt with a company with this strict of a return policy. If the extension was used, damaged... I would understand, shame on me for not doing my homework, I can assure you that will never happen again. If someone gave me a Genie product I would throw it in the garbage.

Original review: May 2, 2020

I purchased a house built in 2012 in 2017. Previous owners had replaced 3 boards on 2 of the intellig 1200 units. One of those units went out again, another bad board so this is the 4th board that needs replaced. The units are plugged into surge protectors. I have a detached garage with a 3rd intellig 1200 unit, that board just went out. That garage is used only about 6 months a year and maybe cycles the garage door 90 times per year. So in 8 years, three units have required 5 boards at $140 a piece. Genie is useless, refuses to admit they produce junk that breaks every two years. I’m tearing all these units out, throwing them in the trash and installing liftmasters. Absolutely junk product, junk company, junk customer service. Would not recommend except maybe to my worse enemy.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

My door opener broke after 11 years and it has a lifetime warranty. The problem is it came with my home and I do not have a receipt for it. I went to 3 levels of their customer care and was told NO. They will NOT honor their warranties without a receipt. That is BAD business, if you offer a lifetime warranty then you should stand by it.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

The traveler carriage (attaches to the door and moves along the bar) wore out. Ordered a replacement and reconnected the door opener. Only the wall activator lit up. The electric eye would not come on. Reconnected all the wiring and nothing came on. This time the electrical connections in the motor came loose and moved around making it difficult to connect wiring. Called Genie c/s and they said a new set of connections needs to be installed. I would think a garage door opener would last longer than seven years with only moderate use.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

My self-installed Genie garage door opener worked fine for 6 months, but then didn't. The wait to speak to anyone at Genie has been over an hour every time I've tried them. I clicked on "chat", but was told, "Sorry, chatting is just to discuss orders for parts". The issue I have is not addressed in the manual, so I guess I have two choices, call a repair person to do what I could likely do if told what to do, or toss the 6 month old Genie and buy another brand. I certainly won't buy another Genie.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

Bought a high end garage door opener for our new house, less than 6 mo. ago. Purchased it at our local Lowe's and it was installed. Several days ago, the belt broke. Called Lowe's and since it was still under the warranty, they sent out a serviceman to inspect and fix. Was told they had to order a part. OK, Today, Lowe's called us to say Genie wants us to call them. I was confused by this, but, I did it. I also had the invoice from the serviceman in front of me, (this was mid-day and I was at work). I called Genie, the wait/hold was 55 minutes, I left my number for a call back (45 minutes later). I gave the customer service rep all my information. He stated nothing was pulling up! I was reading off the invoice.

He wanted to know where I was, I explained I was at work, he told me I have to go home and troubleshoot the garage door and then call him back. I was unable and very confused on why I had to troubleshoot when I explain originally the belt was broken. His resonance was "we need to know why it was broken, and we need to test it". THE BELT IS BROKEN AND HANGING DOWN! I questioned why I had to test it? IT WAS BROKE! After 45 minutes, I felt this was going absolutely nowhere. I stated this was a terrible customer service. For what we spent on the product and installation, should have listen to friends advice and not buy a Genie!

Original review: May 16, 2019

Model 4062 Excelerator Garage Door opener. Serial no. 150084211344 II purchased from Home Depot in 2015 completely failed on May 14, 2019. It is burned out such that the lights won't work, the motor won't operate, nor will the indicator lights for the up/down stop program reset work. Clearly the circuit board is defective. Contacted customer service. They acknowledged it was within warranty, but refused to provide a new circuit board.

Instead, they wanted to provide the less costly optical encoder. Refused to listen that if the entire unit was void of any electrical response, it had to be the circuit board and that the "opto" speed control was irrelevant. Pretty clear to me they don't intend to honor the warranty and were simply acting in a preconceived bad faith manner to cause me to give up and go away. Rude, condescending and arrogant customer service representative. I suggest consumers take their business to a better quality company. Suggest you read other reviews regarding Genie. My experience is apparently not unique.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I bought a very expensive opener ($280.00). I thought if everything was Genie, everything would work together. Both garage door openers are Genie, all of my hand held openers are Genie and the wireless keypad outside is a Genie. All Genie products. I installed the garage door opener, programmed all of my cars and all of the handheld remotes. The only thing I couldn't get program was the wireless keypad outside the door. I read the confusing manual and after 2 hours of messing around, I called the customer support number. They worked with me for 1 1/2 hours with no success. Together, we did everything that I had done on my own. I was finally told I needed to buy a new wireless keypad. Genie has updated their wireless technology and made my keypad obsolete.

I ask repeatedly to speak with a supervisor and was told, someone would call me back within 48 hours.... No call back. I'm really upset that I have to spend more money to make this complete. My keypad really isn't that old. It was more the screwing around for 3 1/2 hours and then having to spend another $60.00. Then having to screw around again to get it to work. I'm more inclined to remove the new unit and return it to the store (that the instructions tell me not to do) and take it up with my credit card company. Then go buy the CHAMBERLAIN unit I wanted in the first place. Signed, A LONG TERM - REALLY UPSET CUSTOMER.

Genie Garage Doors Company Information