Genie Garage Doors

Genie Garage Doors

3.0/5 (356 ratings)

About Genie Garage Doors

Genie Garage Doors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Genie?

Original review: Jan. 21, 2023

Opener went out December 16th, followed I instructions in manual and found red light constantly blinking which said call for factory service. I called Overhead Garage Door which owns Genie and was informed that they could send out a technician the following Monday at a cost of $125.00 for service call plus parts. Since I could not wait I purchased a new Genie for $169.00 and installed it.

I faxed Genie customer service and they kept asking for additional information which I provided. The cover letter sent with warranty claim clearly stated that I had replaced the unit. After numerous phone calls trying to reach them, the last call on January 20th indicated it would be a five hour wait, I decided to call first thing this morning and after being transferred finally reached a guy who informed me that the unit needed to be installed for them to run there diagnostics. Over a month wasted on trying to get warranty claim, this company and its parent are an absolute joke! I will never buy another one of their products and encourage readers of this complaint to do the same!!!

Original review: Dec. 28, 2022

I bought a house in 2019 that had a Genie SilentMax 1000. Firstly, there was nothing silent about it. Reprogramming the 2 remotes and keypad took 2 hours. Adjusting the close and open was a pain. Both of the remotes failed many times after installing new batteries and then had to be reprogrammed. After I installed an LED light bulb the door opener range was reduced to about 6 feet. I understand that is a common problem with older openers. The outdoor keypad often failed at random and never worked after about -10C (15F). And then I saw the repair bills from the previous owner for bills he paid to have the new parts installed while the unit was under warranty. And then I paid a bill after some wires got disconnected, maybe due to vibration?

But the final straw for not repairing the opener this time is the fact that no sticker showing the Model Number was found inside or outside the unit, and chatting with their Support was a waste of 40 minutes, as even after I emailed 10 photos of every inside and outside angle, I was only told it was a NGX model, which does not help since I now need a new Circuit Board since that fried instead of a breaker kicking off, and NGX comes in 3 different models. So I'm done with Genie and now I know why no hardware stores around here sell them anymore.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2022

I gave up on trying to register my garage door opener for our newly built home. I registered 9 different products with no problem. Since it was new construction Genie wanted to see my deed or closing papers to prove to them I actually owned the home. Unbelievable.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2022

Genie 1035 garage opener was installed by the previous owner already. Turn-bolt disengages from the carriage frequently as the plastic housing appears cheaply constructed, requiring the user to regularly have to manually jostle the clip from the carriage to get the door to open. The full-sized Intelli-code remote also appears to be low-quality as the buttons don't respond regularly. All in all a low-quality product, best to spend your time and money elsewhere.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

I spent countless hours in installing a 3055-TKSV garage door opener. First, there were a couple hardware missing (but I must say that I was impressed by using color bags for the hardware). Next challenge was the instructions that come with the product - at first glance the Assembly Poster (instruction steps) looks great but as you assemble the parts there are always (for me) critical areas with questions (but no guidance) and continuing by 'trial & error'. For example, while assembling the rail sections and tightening the belt the full rail length starts 'buckling' and it is impossible to attain 1/4" distance between the bottom of the belt and bottom of the rail. As an engineer myself, I must say that the attachment design is flawed as one section attached to another does not maintain a straight line. There are so many other challenges that will have to write pages.

What struck me more was how unorganized, untrained, TOTALLY incompetent, and arrogant the customer service (tech support) are. Contacting the company will subtract about 3 hrs of your time (which is the average wait time of my calling them 5 times) and the agents are pissed and overpowering. So, you have 3 bad ingredients here: 1) Flawed product 2) Incomplete instructions on assembly & installation, and 3) Incompetent customer service. You put those 3 lethal elements together and you will fail, guaranteed!

A garage door opener is a simple mechanism and will usually function even if the installation is not properly done - of course, grinding noise will be present and life-expectancy of the whole unit will be affected. I have no respect for this company, from their design flaws, to the poor installation instructions (from the Manual, Assembly Poster, Bilt app, phone & chat support). Will never, ever, even think to buy a Genie product again!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

I just installed a Genie Model 1055 Silent Max Garage Door opener. Outside of the instructions having quite a bit of details omitted, the instructions try to cover too many models & vaguely describe start operation. I was able to stitch together pertinent data like their insane Safety Bar light color verification, door limits, etc. Ok now I contacted these clowns via chat online and phone to see if I can add a battery back-up. Not only is there a myriad of model descriptions that sometimes actually drift over to model numbers, the chat person Malladee (yeah that's the real spelling) had no clue. Next let's try the 800 number. 2 hour wait! Best advice. Buy some other brand that has professionals at the helm. This company is a total cluster....

DH

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

First time I tried, needed to use the battery option on my opener. It did not work. Since my car was in the garage I immediately contacted the company because I needed my car and the product is under warranty. After 3 days, 3 phone calls and 2 live chats I am told nothing service reps can do about helping me contact a level 2, whatever that is, technician- I just need to wait for 2 or 3 more days for them to call back and that I will need to be with the unit when that call-so just sit at home for 2-3 days and hope they call back. DO NOT BUY A GENIE GARAGE DOOR OPENER.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

Brought door opener at Home Depot. They installed everything fine. Filled out warranty registration and that's when it all started. Got 3 emails to send additional info which I did. Now I cant even get them to answer my emails and I need service, Have had opener less than 60 days. I would not deal with this company again

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

My Genie garage door opener broke after 12 years (came with the house). A technician came to fix the problem, he checked the sensors, installed new springs and balanced the door. He found a problem in the "circuit board" and suggested calling the Genie company to replace the motor, counting on "lifetime" warranty. I had to be on the phone for many hours to speak with a 3rd level agent on 3 different occasions, but they kept telling me that the circuit board, which is the "BRAIN" of the motor WAS NOT including in the warranty because it is NOT THE MOTOR... So, what was the solution? YOU SHOULD BUY A NEW UNIT... Thank you, Genie and goodbye... forever.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

I recently purchased a Genie Garage Door Opener with an extension because I have an 8' door. The opener was purchased through Walmart, the extension through Genie. The opener was a nightmare to attempt to install. I've installed door openers before and never had a problem, I even had 2 of my mechanically inclined friends try to help me with no luck. I returned the opener through Walmart and when I went on the Genie web page to return the extension their policy is if it's opened they won't take it back, I even e-mailed the company to try to reason with them but no luck.

By the way, the extension was opened but never taken out of the box, Genie still didn't care, too bad for me. I'm hoping that the return through Walmart goes through, I assume it will, but because it's a third party purchase I guess there's a chance Genie will reject it, I'll find out in a couple days. My wife and I purchase a great deal of stuff online and can I honestly say that I've never dealt with a company with this strict of a return policy. If the extension was used, damaged... I would understand, shame on me for not doing my homework, I can assure you that will never happen again. If someone gave me a Genie product I would throw it in the garbage.

Genie Garage Doors Company Information