2. Miscellaneous

Genie Garage Doors

Genie Garage Doors
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.40/5

Genie Garage Doors Reviews

Original review: May 2, 2020

I purchased a house built in 2012 in 2017. Previous owners had replaced 3 boards on 2 of the intellig 1200 units. One of those units went out again, another bad board so this is the 4th board that needs replaced. The units are plugged into surge protectors. I have a detached garage with a 3rd intellig 1200 unit, that board just went out. That garage is used only about 6 months a year and maybe cycles the garage door 90 times per year. So in 8 years, three units have required 5 boards at $140 a piece. Genie is useless, refuses to admit they produce junk that breaks every two years. I’m tearing all these units out, throwing them in the trash and installing liftmasters. Absolutely junk product, junk company, junk customer service. Would not recommend except maybe to my worse enemy.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

My door opener broke after 11 years and it has a lifetime warranty. The problem is it came with my home and I do not have a receipt for it. I went to 3 levels of their customer care and was told NO. They will NOT honor their warranties without a receipt. That is BAD business, if you offer a lifetime warranty then you should stand by it.

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

The traveler carriage (attaches to the door and moves along the bar) wore out. Ordered a replacement and reconnected the door opener. Only the wall activator lit up. The electric eye would not come on. Reconnected all the wiring and nothing came on. This time the electrical connections in the motor came loose and moved around making it difficult to connect wiring. Called Genie c/s and they said a new set of connections needs to be installed. I would think a garage door opener would last longer than seven years with only moderate use.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

My self-installed Genie garage door opener worked fine for 6 months, but then didn't. The wait to speak to anyone at Genie has been over an hour every time I've tried them. I clicked on "chat", but was told, "Sorry, chatting is just to discuss orders for parts". The issue I have is not addressed in the manual, so I guess I have two choices, call a repair person to do what I could likely do if told what to do, or toss the 6 month old Genie and buy another brand. I certainly won't buy another Genie.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

Bought a high end garage door opener for our new house, less than 6 mo. ago. Purchased it at our local Lowe's and it was installed. Several days ago, the belt broke. Called Lowe's and since it was still under the warranty, they sent out a serviceman to inspect and fix. Was told they had to order a part. OK, Today, Lowe's called us to say Genie wants us to call them. I was confused by this, but, I did it. I also had the invoice from the serviceman in front of me, (this was mid-day and I was at work). I called Genie, the wait/hold was 55 minutes, I left my number for a call back (45 minutes later). I gave the customer service rep all my information. He stated nothing was pulling up! I was reading off the invoice.

He wanted to know where I was, I explained I was at work, he told me I have to go home and troubleshoot the garage door and then call him back. I was unable and very confused on why I had to troubleshoot when I explain originally the belt was broken. His resonance was "we need to know why it was broken, and we need to test it". THE BELT IS BROKEN AND HANGING DOWN! I questioned why I had to test it? IT WAS BROKE! After 45 minutes, I felt this was going absolutely nowhere. I stated this was a terrible customer service. For what we spent on the product and installation, should have listen to friends advice and not buy a Genie!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Genie?

Original review: May 16, 2019

Model 4062 Excelerator Garage Door opener. Serial no. 150084211344 II purchased from Home Depot in 2015 completely failed on May 14, 2019. It is burned out such that the lights won't work, the motor won't operate, nor will the indicator lights for the up/down stop program reset work. Clearly the circuit board is defective. Contacted customer service. They acknowledged it was within warranty, but refused to provide a new circuit board.

Instead, they wanted to provide the less costly optical encoder. Refused to listen that if the entire unit was void of any electrical response, it had to be the circuit board and that the "opto" speed control was irrelevant. Pretty clear to me they don't intend to honor the warranty and were simply acting in a preconceived bad faith manner to cause me to give up and go away. Rude, condescending and arrogant customer service representative. I suggest consumers take their business to a better quality company. Suggest you read other reviews regarding Genie. My experience is apparently not unique.

Original review: April 27, 2019

I bought a very expensive opener ($280.00). I thought if everything was Genie, everything would work together. Both garage door openers are Genie, all of my hand held openers are Genie and the wireless keypad outside is a Genie. All Genie products. I installed the garage door opener, programmed all of my cars and all of the handheld remotes. The only thing I couldn't get program was the wireless keypad outside the door. I read the confusing manual and after 2 hours of messing around, I called the customer support number. They worked with me for 1 1/2 hours with no success. Together, we did everything that I had done on my own. I was finally told I needed to buy a new wireless keypad. Genie has updated their wireless technology and made my keypad obsolete.

I ask repeatedly to speak with a supervisor and was told, someone would call me back within 48 hours.... No call back. I'm really upset that I have to spend more money to make this complete. My keypad really isn't that old. It was more the screwing around for 3 1/2 hours and then having to spend another $60.00. Then having to screw around again to get it to work. I'm more inclined to remove the new unit and return it to the store (that the instructions tell me not to do) and take it up with my credit card company. Then go buy the CHAMBERLAIN unit I wanted in the first place. Signed, A LONG TERM - REALLY UPSET CUSTOMER.

Original review: April 1, 2019

We built our house 9 years ago, had a Genie 2022 garage door opener installed. Within the 1st year the circuit board failed, that one was replaced with no hassle through my subcontractor. Then in early 2015 the circuit board failed again. I called customer service and explained that this was the 2nd one that has failed. They wanted to make sure it was the circuit board.

So we went through the whole checklist as I was on the phone with the rep. Was told it was the circuit board. I then ask the price, when I was told what it would cost I said I thought they should at least give it to me for half. Well they said they couldn't. I wasn't too pleased, but I needed an opener. I did go and purchase another Genie, just to save time on the installation. Well now it's March 2019 and another circuit board has failed.

Called the customer service to see if they would do anything. I asked again about covering at least half the cost of the opener, but was told parts are only covered for 1 year. I told them that I was through with the Genie opener and would be making sure to let everyone know how bad their openers are. All I was told how sorry they were. So I want to let everyone know to stay away from buying a Genie garage door opener... I am totally disgusted with them.

Original review: Feb. 23, 2019

I just spent 4 hour on the phone four separate times with two first level, then two second level supervisors. My door opener since the past two or three days would start to open the door and then stop abruptly. I thought it was the carriage since that has happened before. Ordered and replace the carriage, still, same issue. Called Genie this morning, and the first... first level tech I spoke with insisted it was the door. I explained the there are new (newer) torsion springs (2 years) along with new rollers, all freshly lubricated etc. We did the balance test and the door passed. Still must be the door. Disconnect the door from the carriage and try it he says... OK, the carriage moves fine from limit to limit. "See, it must be the door since if you remove the load, the opener works fine."

I ask if he just listened to what he said. Sure with NO LOAD the thing works fine... Place a load on it, and it fails. I advise him that I can get on an 8 foot ladder, grab the carriage (pulled the emergency release of course) and open the door myself with little effort, HOW CAN IT BE THE DOOR? I ask, "Is it not possible that the motor controller, that holds the force openings is not weakened after 14 years," "NOPE, NOT POSSIBLE, IT'S THE DOOR." I hang up, call a local garage door company and speak to them, they advise that if I can indeed open the door by hand from the carriage, it's the operator. I call Genie back, and the next first level tech has me tear the front coupler out and check it. I do so and call back, clean as a whistle, I get the first, first level tech again, still must be the door.

By now I am a tad bit annoyed, he elevates me to a second level tech. Guess what he says... Must be the door and here is why.... blah blah blah... He wants me to put it all back together and call back, sure I say, don't mind spending a few more hours on the phone. I failed to mention that when I was taking the coupler out, I unplugged the operator... Can you see where this is leading? I call back after getting it all back together, plug it back in and while waiting, I try the door again... and a miracle happens, IT WORKS!!!

Now the second second level tech gets on the phone, we chat and I tell her that it is now working after I unplugged it and plugged it back in. "Well, you see, the circuit boards are kind of like computers and that will often fix some issues." WOW, maybe the first first level tech could have lead with that instead of insisting that the door was the problem. She apologized and acknowledged that I seemed to have spent most of the day on this (no kidding). She also acknowledged that if I need to do this with some frequency that the board could be at fault (NO WAY!). I am so over this... Lifetime Warranty my butt... If this is what I have to deal with again, I am ripping that blasted thing out and tossing it in the trash and buying another manufacturer's product. I lost four or more hours of my day because some tech reading from a script couldn't think for himself.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I purchased a new home in 2014. About a year and a half after moving in, the Genie Garage door opener started a loud grinding noise which progressively got worse over the next week and eventually resulted in the death of the unit. Since I wasn't the owner of the original unit, I went to Home Depot and purchased a brand new Genie unit. I installed the unit in 2016 and everything worked until October 2018. For some reason the device stopped functioning altogether. I will say that the customer service people I spoke with on that call were very nice, and very helpful. I couldn't find my receipt from the purchase in 2016, so the representative took a number off the device and determined from that number the manufacture date to be in 2015.

As a one time courtesy she offered to send me the parts needed to fix the issue. A very nice gesture. I was provided the new parts she determined that I needed. I received the parts a few days after the call and installed them. The parts didn't help as it was later determined that the device sustained bigger problems from the surge and needed to be replaced altogether. November 17, 2018 I went to Home Depot and bought another unit for $250. This time, as instructed by the Technician I sent the receipt for this purchase to Genie Support. I installed the unit and everything worked as intended.

January 2019, we experienced a cold snap (15-17 degrees). I pressed the wall mounted door opener to open the door, the door opened half way when I heard a loud pop. The loop on the carriage cracked and broke, halting the progress of the door and sending the arm falling down from the track, narrowly missing my brand new $65000 truck. Whew! Ok, That day I reached out to Genie with the expectation they would send me a new carriage. The representative I got this time was very short and curt with me over IM. After my explaining the situation, she told me that I would have to call in...then abruptly ended the conversation. I was a little irritated by that, but ok...my experience from the first two people was good so I let it go.

February 4, 2019, I was out of town on business for two weeks and upon my return finally found some time to address the garage door. I called Genie Support as I was instructed to do from the prior conversation and Spoke to a gentleman. I couldn't understand his name... He asked whom I was and I gave him my information. He ran me through opening the door and a few other diagnostics which clearly showed the door and the unit were correctly installed. I explained my situation from before but I could tell he wasn't listening to me. He told me that their parts distribution system was down but I could obtain a new carriage locally...to which I asked under warranty? He said no. I would have to buy it. I politely told him that I had purchased this unit in November of the prior fall and that this unit carries a 5 year warranty. Why would I need to buy a failed part?

At this point I was met with what I would call a passive confrontation, with no benefit of the doubt. He told me that they had given me a one time courtesy once before and that was all they would do. I politely told him that I had purchased a new unit since that one time courtesy and as instructed, submitted the receipt to Genie via their designated email address... I later received a confirmation that they had the receipt. I could tell his patience with me was wearing thin. As one guy to another I told him that I wasn't BSing him. I was telling the truth and if he wanted I could send him a copy of the original receipt, as well as a copy of the confirmation from Genie. I don't think I was being confrontational in any way...and neither did my wife, whom was in the room listening to the conversation. But at this point the Rep interrupted me asking me to remain Professional.

I was taken aback. OK so...I started to say something and he cut me off. I felt I had held my composure up to this point... I had had it. He wasn't listening to me, He completely discounted me, inferred that I was lying to him and now was telling me to remain professional? Wow. A textbook example of what not to do when representing your brand. A very bad experience on that call and I can tell you that I did this nature of work early in my career for Moen Faucets for 6 years...so I know What to do and not do when representing a product.

Since the call was escalating and I was getting nowhere with this guy, I hung up. I then re-sent a copy of my original receipt from November 2018 along with the confirmation from the original attempt. I once again received another confirmation that they received my documentation...so I'm under the hope they do the right thing and support their product as the warranty states. Judging from this last experience I don't feel it's promising. We will see, and I will update this post with how things pan out.

Genie Garage Doors Company Information