Genie Garage Doors

Genie Garage Doors

3.4/5 (45 ratings)

About Genie Garage Doors

Genie Garage Doors Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Genie Garage Doors?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Genie?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2022

I spent countless hours in installing a 3055-TKSV garage door opener. First, there were a couple hardware missing (but I must say that I was impressed by using color bags for the hardware). Next challenge was the instructions that come with the product - at first glance the Assembly Poster (instruction steps) looks great but as you assemble the parts there are always (for me) critical areas with questions (but no guidance) and continuing by 'trial & error'. For example, while assembling the rail sections and tightening the belt the full rail length starts 'buckling' and it is impossible to attain 1/4" distance between the bottom of the belt and bottom of the rail. As an engineer myself, I must say that the attachment design is flawed as one section attached to another does not maintain a straight line. There are so many other challenges that will have to write pages.

What struck me more was how unorganized, untrained, TOTALLY incompetent, and arrogant the customer service (tech support) are. Contacting the company will subtract about 3 hrs of your time (which is the average wait time of my calling them 5 times) and the agents are pissed and overpowering. So, you have 3 bad ingredients here: 1) Flawed product 2) Incomplete instructions on assembly & installation, and 3) Incompetent customer service. You put those 3 lethal elements together and you will fail, guaranteed!

A garage door opener is a simple mechanism and will usually function even if the installation is not properly done - of course, grinding noise will be present and life-expectancy of the whole unit will be affected. I have no respect for this company, from their design flaws, to the poor installation instructions (from the Manual, Assembly Poster, Bilt app, phone & chat support). Will never, ever, even think to buy a Genie product again!

Original review: Jan. 6, 2022

I just installed a Genie Model 1055 Silent Max Garage Door opener. Outside of the instructions having quite a bit of details omitted, the instructions try to cover too many models & vaguely describe start operation. I was able to stitch together pertinent data like their insane Safety Bar light color verification, door limits, etc. Ok now I contacted these clowns via chat online and phone to see if I can add a battery back-up. Not only is there a myriad of model descriptions that sometimes actually drift over to model numbers, the chat person Malladee (yeah that's the real spelling) had no clue. Next let's try the 800 number. 2 hour wait! Best advice. Buy some other brand that has professionals at the helm. This company is a total cluster....

DH

Get buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

First time I tried, needed to use the battery option on my opener. It did not work. Since my car was in the garage I immediately contacted the company because I needed my car and the product is under warranty. After 3 days, 3 phone calls and 2 live chats I am told nothing service reps can do about helping me contact a level 2, whatever that is, technician- I just need to wait for 2 or 3 more days for them to call back and that I will need to be with the unit when that call-so just sit at home for 2-3 days and hope they call back. DO NOT BUY A GENIE GARAGE DOOR OPENER.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

Brought door opener at Home Depot. They installed everything fine. Filled out warranty registration and that's when it all started. Got 3 emails to send additional info which I did. Now I cant even get them to answer my emails and I need service, Have had opener less than 60 days. I would not deal with this company again

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

My Genie garage door opener broke after 12 years (came with the house). A technician came to fix the problem, he checked the sensors, installed new springs and balanced the door. He found a problem in the "circuit board" and suggested calling the Genie company to replace the motor, counting on "lifetime" warranty. I had to be on the phone for many hours to speak with a 3rd level agent on 3 different occasions, but they kept telling me that the circuit board, which is the "BRAIN" of the motor WAS NOT including in the warranty because it is NOT THE MOTOR... So, what was the solution? YOU SHOULD BUY A NEW UNIT... Thank you, Genie and goodbye... forever.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

I recently purchased a Genie Garage Door Opener with an extension because I have an 8' door. The opener was purchased through Walmart, the extension through Genie. The opener was a nightmare to attempt to install. I've installed door openers before and never had a problem, I even had 2 of my mechanically inclined friends try to help me with no luck. I returned the opener through Walmart and when I went on the Genie web page to return the extension their policy is if it's opened they won't take it back, I even e-mailed the company to try to reason with them but no luck.

By the way, the extension was opened but never taken out of the box, Genie still didn't care, too bad for me. I'm hoping that the return through Walmart goes through, I assume it will, but because it's a third party purchase I guess there's a chance Genie will reject it, I'll find out in a couple days. My wife and I purchase a great deal of stuff online and can I honestly say that I've never dealt with a company with this strict of a return policy. If the extension was used, damaged... I would understand, shame on me for not doing my homework, I can assure you that will never happen again. If someone gave me a Genie product I would throw it in the garbage.

Original review: May 2, 2020

I purchased a house built in 2012 in 2017. Previous owners had replaced 3 boards on 2 of the intellig 1200 units. One of those units went out again, another bad board so this is the 4th board that needs replaced. The units are plugged into surge protectors. I have a detached garage with a 3rd intellig 1200 unit, that board just went out. That garage is used only about 6 months a year and maybe cycles the garage door 90 times per year. So in 8 years, three units have required 5 boards at $140 a piece. Genie is useless, refuses to admit they produce junk that breaks every two years. I’m tearing all these units out, throwing them in the trash and installing liftmasters. Absolutely junk product, junk company, junk customer service. Would not recommend except maybe to my worse enemy.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2020

My door opener broke after 11 years and it has a lifetime warranty. The problem is it came with my home and I do not have a receipt for it. I went to 3 levels of their customer care and was told NO. They will NOT honor their warranties without a receipt. That is BAD business, if you offer a lifetime warranty then you should stand by it.

Original review: Nov. 23, 2019

The traveler carriage (attaches to the door and moves along the bar) wore out. Ordered a replacement and reconnected the door opener. Only the wall activator lit up. The electric eye would not come on. Reconnected all the wiring and nothing came on. This time the electrical connections in the motor came loose and moved around making it difficult to connect wiring. Called Genie c/s and they said a new set of connections needs to be installed. I would think a garage door opener would last longer than seven years with only moderate use.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2019

My self-installed Genie garage door opener worked fine for 6 months, but then didn't. The wait to speak to anyone at Genie has been over an hour every time I've tried them. I clicked on "chat", but was told, "Sorry, chatting is just to discuss orders for parts". The issue I have is not addressed in the manual, so I guess I have two choices, call a repair person to do what I could likely do if told what to do, or toss the 6 month old Genie and buy another brand. I certainly won't buy another Genie.

Genie Garage Doors Company Information