1.44/5
Based on 108 reviews that contain star ratings

121 Genie Garage Doors Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: July 19, 2018

I purchased a Genie Garage Door opener from Home Depot and they came and installed the wrong opener. Told them before they did it that it was the wrong opener and they installed anyway. Eventually they brought the right one and installed it however after about 2 weeks it quit working. Here they did not change out the sensor lines during installation and the new system shorted them out. Called Genie and they totally refused to do anything about it and were totally rude on the phone. I will never buy another Genie product again.

Original review: July 12, 2018

I purchase a Genie garage door opener on 11-14-16 from Home Depot. Home Depot made arrangement to have the Authorized Service Provider perform the installation service. I pay a total of $324.44 dollars for the Genie along with the Service. I came home several times to find my garage door wide open and twice while sitting in my home. I made a call to the Genie Company to tell them the problem that I was having for them to tell me to get on a ladder and push buttons. I didn't know my warranty applies if you have a ladder and a toolbox, and willing and able to go through instruction on the phone from an individual reading from a script and cannot answer not one question you ask her.

And have you go thru this numerous time that didn't not fix the problem. After all that she tells me maybe it's the cover that covers the member board. Which is just a cover. Then you are ask to pay shipping wish is $8.00 dollars. I ask her will someone come and take care of this when it arrived, she said no I will have to do it myself, or ask my neighbor if they could help me. Now my warranty expires on 11-14-2018. so I have little time left. The Genie company I will never buy from again.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 17, 2018

One of the reasons we purchased a Genie opener was the product warranty. What we didn't understand about this at the time is that the warranty applies if you have a ladder, a toolbox, are willing/able to take the unit apart and follow diagnostic instruction on the phone from an individual reading from a script - and go through this numerous times until, maybe, maybe the problem part is identified. Then you must be willing to pay for shipping for said part and install it yourself when it arrives. You also need to be prepared to go through this process several times, on each occasion, waiting to speak to someone from the company after being on hold for anywhere from 5 to 20 minutes. We finally gave up on the "warrantied" Genie and went with another brand. The entire experience was a frustrating headache.

Original review: May 4, 2018

We haven't been in our brand new house since February and I see that we're dealing with a subpar product with this garage door opener. It unexpectedly opened up in the middle of the night and would not open up the next morning. Twice within 3 months. The wall light and overhead lights stopped working and the sensors became unaligned. Very unreliable. And it was professionally installed. Called several times and still seeking a resolution.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

READ THIS BEFORE BUYING!!! I have bought the Genie brand for years and consider myself a professional installer. Not until I installed one in one of my own homes did I have so much trouble. It starts out with the doors down limit changing. The door comes down to far then comes open again like it should with a obstruction. This caused damage to my brand new door, tearing out the screws that hold the bracket to the door. Not cool. Had to through bolt it to prevent further damage. I readjust the down limit and a few days, a week it will do it again. It took several calls to Genie with the problem to get some results out of them. They did not know what was wrong with it so they finally sent out everything but the motor and cover. I mean everything! This was only after I signed a waiver that I wouldn't sue them for the door damage!!!

I installed all the parts and it worked for little over a year. I called them again and was told it's now out of warranty, Same problem a year later?! My son bought a Genie, different model but he also has had problems. Genie has replaced his circuit board a couple of times. It is obvious to me that they have problems with there product. I will never buy Genie again. Going out today and pick up a Lift Master. Do not buy a Genie!! You will be taking the chance of getting a unit that will have to be replaced in a short time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Genie?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2018

I have had two different Genie garage door openers in two different locations. Both came with the houses when I bought them, one was a used home, the other was in a brand-new home. The first screw-drive unit failed catastrophically when the plastic gear on the motor exploded into three or four large pieces. This was in about 2011 or so. After a VERY long wait on hold, I had a replacement gear sent to me for less than $10 during a 5 minute call - I had already determined the issue and knew what I needed. I replaced the gear, and the opener functioned again for about 10 months, before the gear broke again, this time taking out the plastic gear cover AND the plastic housing. Refusing to put even another dime, minute of time on hold, or working on it more, I bought a Chamberlain opener and swore off Genie forever.

Fast forward to early 2015, when I purchased a new home, equipped with a Genie ReliaG 650 belt drive opener. I was initially impressed with how quiet it was, but was still wary of the brand and their quality. In very early 2018, the door flatly refused to open more than 8" at a time, and would no longer close with the opener button or remotes. I followed the troubleshooting guides in the manual as well as online. Repeatedly, the LED indicators either were solid red (indicating that the open/close limits needed to be programmed), or both purple (indicating 'component failure'). Repeated attempts to program the closing limits were unsuccessful. Since the motor, cogs/belts, traveler, and sensors were all functioning, I surmised that the circuit board was the 'component failure'. I called Genie and because of the over 1 1/2 hour projected wait time, I opted to leave a number and get a callback - which never happened.

After two days of waiting for a callback, I opted to try again, but wait on hold for the next CSR. Quoted wait time was 60 minutes, I did not get to talk to someone for over 90 minutes. At the end of the call, and after 30 minutes of troubleshooting, they told me that the circuit board was malfunctioning and quoted me $100 for a new one (since it was not covered by any warranty). Since this was nearly half the cost of a new opener, I opted to buy a Chamberlain this morning.

I strongly recommend that anyone buying a garage door opener consider ANYTHING other than the junk that this company produces. Their warranty covers ONLY the two parts (motor and belt) that almost NEVER fail, and then produce substandard components for everything else that are covered by a pathetic 1 year warranty. Judging by the background noise, the poor CSRs are dealing with their garbage breaking all day, every day. Not a good sign... and it's clear that Genie has done nothing to improve quality in the last 10 years.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I just had my Genie garage door opener replaced. It was only 4 years old. I was told by my handyman that the motherboard was corroded. I have had nothing but problems with it since it was installed. Sometimes it would open and sometimes it wouldn’t. Also, it was very noisy. I called a garage door company and they also told me the motherboard was corroded. I told them I wanted to replace the opener. They did not pressure me at all. I now have a LiftMaster which seems to be working perfectly and I can’t believe how much quieter it is.

Original review: July 18, 2017

Genie garage door openers - Anybody going to buy a GENIE product you need to call their tech support and see what you will have to go thru if you have a problem. I will never buy another GENIE product as every time I have called them it has been a hour and half to 2-hour wait. Hope this helps somebody.

Original review: July 8, 2017

To summarize: If I could do less than a one-star rating I would. Less than 3 years old. Professionally installed by Home Depot subcontractor (did a great job). Installed in a condo in an elderly community where my 79 year old parents reside. Stopped working June 5, 2017. Contacted customer service on June 6, 2017 (my 79 year old father). Subjected him to an hour of "technical support and troubleshooting". That is what Genie calls it. I would call it something else but it is not appropriate in a review.

Sent a new circuit board. Circuit board replacement did not fix it. My father called back. (30 minutes with support) Sent him a decoder. Did not fix it. All this is over a month. (This is still under warranty for parts... They don't cover labor.) They expect a 79 year old man to do it. I call Genie today. I start at level one support (after waiting 25 minutes but as their relentless on-hold message says, "your call is very important to us".) Have to give them the entire sequence despite giving them an incident number and a source phone number.

Shifted to level two support after 20 minutes with level one support. (Wait 5 more minutes to get a human in level two support.) I then have to go through the sequence of events again. Level two tells me they will NOT send someone to fix it. I must pay for that. They want to continue to "troubleshoot" it. I blow a gasket saying "how much abuse is a customer to face?" I asked for a voucher to get a new product and I will install it myself. I am told no and that we must continue to "troubleshoot" Blew a gasket. Hung up. Went to Home Depot. Bought a Chamberlain. The opener and install was $295. Will do all I can to make sure no one buys a Genie. If anyone needs a good doorstop I have a Genie Garage Door Opener you can have. Side note Genie. If you happen to see this and care. The incident number is **. Feel free to review and listen to my last call. If you are a rational human being you would also have blown a gasket.

Original review: June 24, 2017

Replaced motor - My experience was similar as the others. Long wait time (45 - 60 minute wait on phone). I also had disagreeable and combative reps for my initial contact. However, I persevered with my complaint of a failed motor to additional reps and finally reached 2 who sympathized with my ordeal. They were so great. They even called me back when we got disconnected and sent me a free motor including shipping to make up for the terrible service I received from the others. So my advice to you is don't give up because not all reps are created equal some are spectacular and will make up for the lousy ones but you have to keep calling back till you get a good one.

Original review: June 23, 2017

After troubleshooting my Genie 2024 I determined I needed replacement parts on a 4-year-old unit. I did a quick Google search on Genie parts and came across the hundreds of bad reviews of the Genie openers on this website site and immediately had a bad feeling that I was soon going to be SOL on my busted opener. I called the 1-800 number for them and got an American who was from a call center in Texas. He walked thru the troubleshooting with me and found the circuit board needed to be replaced.

Once we found that out he took all my mailing info and said a new one was on its way. 10 days later the thing arrives. I haven't put it in yet to see if that's the solve but he never once even asked the age of the unit or any type info to verify the purchase or did he give me any hassle at all. It was definitely not what I was expecting after reading all the bad reviews on here about the brutal customer service or them not standing behind their lifetime warranty so maybe they've made some major changes or have been listening to customers or maybe I just lucked out but there is hope if you're standing in front of a bummed unit wondering who's going to help you now.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

PowerMax 1200 shaft driven unit stopped working in 18 months of use. I purchased this unit as it was advertising lifetime warranty on the motor and 5 years on other parts. I was not aware that it takes long time to get a hold off customer service as it is only reachable over the phone. Each department places you on hold for about the same time as previous one. It takes multiple departments to process the claim. Fine print somewhere in the warranty description (I was told) claims that after first year you will be charged shipping fees on replacement parts and warranty applies only to the original owner of the unit. You should expect to be argued with, they will not value your time and try to be cheap as possible when assisting you.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017

Genie SilentMax 1000 - My garage door opener died after less than 2-3 years of light use. The motor crapped out and stopped working. I had the installation records and even the original box, and they still wouldn't honor the warranty on the motor because we bought the home in 2013 and were the second owners of the house which was built in 2011. The warranty does not pass on to the residence owners. Essentially, they do not intend to support their products and say the motor has a so-called lifetime warranty when the reality is that you will be given BS excuses. Worst experience I've had in a long time when something relatively new has legitimately failed early.

Resolution response: Feb. 20, 2017

I posted my review on several websites, including where I bought the opener. It quickly grabbed the attention of Genie. I received a call from a high-level manager at Genie asking about my review. When I discussed the situation with her, she immediately said she would send a replacement unit and discuss how it was handled by their customer support. Very pleased with her support. Rating went up a bit. It is true report where the vendor will see it. If they care they will react. If they don't the review sticks.

Original review: Feb. 2, 2017

This morning I could not get the opener to work (only 2 years old). Saw the red flashing indicator ("component failure"). Called Genie. Waited over half hour before talking with support. I first explained what is happening and all the steps I already took. He went through this long process repeating the same steps over and over. When I questioned him he said "We need to follow procedures." At each step I repeated the gear on the opener is slamming. Finally after another half hour he said "the circuit board needs to be replaced". Guess what? Not under warranty, I have to pay. When I asked him why he was not addressing the gear box on the unit slamming he simply repeated "it's the circuit board." He then explained the circuit board told the motor to start and stop. I added but "not to slam." He would not address.

Since I had a second identical unit that worked, I then asked what if I remove the functioning circuit board and place it in the non-working unit and it still did not work? What would be his diagnosis then. He said that would not change his finding. I asked him So what then. He said he would still have me purchase a new board. (Even though it still did not work with a function board!!!) I then asked to speak to a supervisor. He said one would call in a couple of days. I asked him so there are no supervisors all day today or tomorrow. He only repeated "none available now." Clearly Genie support is working on a script no matter what happens. THEIR ONLY SOLUTION IS NEVER REPLACE FOR FREE! BTW 30 years ago I purchased two Sears openers. They both worked until we tore the garage down.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

Please do yourself a favor and do not buy any screw drive product from Genie. I bought 2 for my brand new home that I personally build. After about a month, I was having issues with the openers with the travel limits and then the unit has to be reprogrammed and is a real pain. The door will bounce back open and can be a real security problem for my family. Plus, when the weather gets colder, the problem is even worse. The product design is very poorly engineered with plastic clips holding in the screw and quickly wear out. Big difference from the past Genie products I knew and used. Immensely dissatisfied with this product and Genie is not standing behind it for a solution. I'm left with two expensive door openers that don't work. Completely unacceptable!

Original review: Nov. 22, 2016

Genie Garage Door Opener 1000 silent max - Stopped working two years after installation... not bad compared to other reviews which stopped after 2 months!! It moves about two inches and stops and not being able to limit programming. Called customer service two times but on hold for over 30 min. Scraped the opener.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2016

3 weeks ago while driving out of the garage I pushed the remote to close the door and the trunk was hit by the door. Instead of the door going back up, it continued down the back of the car and bent the heck out of the garage door. My understanding is that when the door hits resistance, it should go back up! Car was only scratched but the door is a total loss. We were told a 'rep' had to look at the door. So 2 weeks later a rep showed up, at 10:30 for a 1:00 appointment. We were just driving up when he was ready to leave. His statement was that obviously the door had been hit from the outside while it was down. Not true. We had to send in pictures, and the sheet he filled out and proof of the Genie purchase, which was then told to us by a rude sales rep that it couldn't be read and we had to do a better job. And that this could also take a few more months.

In the meantime, rats and mice have easy access to our garage. Winter is around the corner, and our van and other equipment are locked in the garage because the door is so bent we can't get it to go up. I am convinced after reading all these bad reviews that it is time to replace the door and get a new non-Genie opener. Will have to check Consumers Reports this time for a good one.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2016

The opening unit itself has worked quite well for me for the last 3 years. The garage was built in late 1995, so the opening unit would have been purchased after building the garage and installed. However, when I bought the house, the previous folks only had one opener. They had purchased replacements but those never worked. I tried them, they did not work. Recently having lost my opener, I went to the Genie website and found the remote opener which looks exactly like mine -- ordered it -- and then haven't been able to find the dip switches on the hanging unit in the garage so I can set it to work. Called the company and they said look where the antennae protrudes as that's where the dip switches should be.

Emailed them today -- as I climbed a ladder and short of dismantling the housing from the unit, I could not find any dip switches. I was told promptly (within 15 minutes of sending the email) that they could not provide advice or parts for any unit made before 1993 due to changes in state laws!!! REALLY??? Then why did they sell me a remote??? I will NOT be buying any other Genie products -- I don't care what they're for or how well they are or aren't made. There are NO state laws in Michigan which prevent providing replacement remotes or advice for this unit.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

I just bought a Belt Drive 750 model. Reading the instruction got a question that any outsider can erase all programming pin code and put new one from outside keypad. I called customer service to verify that info. I been on hold for 45 minutes and finally I hanged up. Is a keypad unsafe and anyone can reset from outside???

Original review: Aug. 19, 2016

I have replaced 4 Genie Garage Door lifters in less than 1 year. They are junk. I replaced the Genies with a LiftMaster and it works great. Stay away from Genie garage door lifters. They are not worth the trouble. Go with a LiftMaster. They are great.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2016

Silent max 1000 - I have more calls to Genie than all other products I own combined. If you read the reviews you will notice a common thread from support. It's your door causing the problem not their hunk of ** opener. The remotes have very poor range. The response time is so slow you end up pushing the button multiple times. If you text a lot this may be a good feature. Push the button, send a few text then look at the door to see if it is moving. I will never buy another Genie product!!!

Original review: July 28, 2016

I have had at least a dozen garage door openers, mostly Chamberlain's but one very old Electro lift, all were superior to the current Genie Powermax 1500 I have now!!! I have had to replace the control board twice once when new and again when it stopped working and I called the company for assistance and was told "we will not help you until you replace the control board which is under a recall." So I had to wait until the parts arrived and repaired it myself, worst customer support and a terrible product, it will on occasions forget all of the settings and then it won't open, close or do anything until you go through the setup process again. Don't buy a Genie - find anything else!!!

Original review: July 1, 2016

The opener unit has always had trouble communicating with the outside keypad. Today the entire system failed including the inside opener. We followed the instructions for resetting and testing the opener, nothing worked. Buy a Chamberlain instead.

Original review: June 24, 2016

Just got off the phone with Genie Garage Doors openers for the second time. Both times a 20 minute wait, just to talk to an aggressive obnoxious rep. They insisted that my door was causing the problem. They had a rep come by and tested the door. Said it was fine, then demanded $94 for stopping by. Meanwhile, they had to give me a new control board and sensor on warranty. People, find a better brand than Genie. I won't use them again.

Original review: June 23, 2016

I purchased a Genie Garage door opener in March 2016 from Lowe's and after installation it worked about a month and then the belt broke. When I called Genie customer service they told me that it was under warranty and I just needed to answer a few questions before they could send me my part. Sounds easy enough? Not so. After being on hold forever, I get this technician who basically tries to tell me that my garage door is the problem because their belt wouldn't just break. Well that's funny because I'm sure reading a lot about belt problems on this site. And the old garage door opener had been on the house for over 20 years with no problems so it's not the door. Genie should stand behind their products and follow-up with the warranty. I paid $250 for this opener which can't even be used. Poor customer service, poor quality, poor company.

Original review: June 2, 2016

I bought a Genie 1000 garage door opener and installed it 6 months ago and I have had the belt to break 3 times. And this morning as I was going to work I opened the door and it broke again. I have tried to contact them and can't get any attention. This is a very bad product and I would not advise anyone to buy it. I wish this company would stand behind their product and send someone out to fix my problem but I highly doubt it will happen. I will not be buying any more of their products ever again, unless they resolve mine. This is a headache to deal with because when you buy something like this you expect more than 6 months of service out of it. Just my thoughts!!!

Original review: May 17, 2016

I normally don't write bad reviews to hurt people's business if I find it's not necessary. But I will be doing this for the sake of people who want to buy Genie's Garage Opener. I purchased Genie's opener without searching for reviews about this company and within less than 6 weeks the unit stopped working. I spent hours back and forth to get a final chance to talk a Rep, who told me that I should find and pay a technician to fix my door because she is not able to help me to troubleshoot. She said she normally spends 5' with CS to troubleshoot but it's been 25' already and we could not fix it so I'd better find someone to help me.

I can't imagine what type of a business like that with such a rude and irresponsible service. I think Genie would not stay long in the market with this type of poor behavior. In fact, Consumer Reports or Consumer Affairs should check the company out to better protect consumers after so many bad reviews about this company. I would be happy to replace my opener than to ever deal with this company again. Apparently, Lowes will hurt its business by carrying Genie's products. Bottom line: Don't buy Genie's products. It's not worth your money, your time, and your trust.

Original review: May 12, 2016

We built a home in 1999. Had a GENIE screwdrive Intellicode installed. NEVER had an issue with it... until now... May 2016. We did the research, started trouble shooting, contacted CS and that started the revelation of Genie's horrid customer service. We discovered the motor is failing after EVERY trouble shooting scenario and even a coupler (that we ordered & didn't need)... The hours my husband was on the phone, sending numerous sized photos that CS insisted they were 'too large'.They insisted every # we sent them (in photos) was not the 'number' they needed. We even sent a copy of the county recorder's info of ownership-- because they said they couldn't send our replacement (as per Lifetime warranty) unless they had valid home ownership.

Must have spent 10 hours going back & forth, a few days on and off trying to get answers. It was so ridiculous. We are totally happy to PURCHASE the motor, yet they still refused to assist... Giving us line after line "it's policy, we can't do that", "we don't make those any more''. Then we got a tech to speak with my husband and go through all the motions- disconnecting the unit, running the motor, taking more pictures. The tech says, "That's not our motor"!!! Well it has red & white GENIE plastic cowl w/ Genie intellicode on it... And all the docs that came w/ it say 'Genie'... Are they NOW trying to say it's a knock off? Is Home Depot involved in this?? OMG! As of this writing, my husband is still on the phone with the tech(?)... UN freakin believable! If they stand by their Company name, one would think they would 'right' the situation and send us a replacement motor that is intended for our model & be done. Good deed, happy customer. How hard is that?

Original review: March 13, 2016

I bought this opener from Lowe's about one year ago. Yesterday I junked it for a Sommer made in Germany opener. I am not the type to call the MFG and complain about a $250 dollar opener when I know what the problem is and it cannot be fixed to last any longer than it did already. This opener is not engineered correctly, made with cheap plastic parts that wear out fast, and cheap clips that break easy.

Now to explain what went wrong. The opener just quit working and I noticed the screw drive rod had come apart and was hanging over my truck. I checked and the clip that hold them together had broke in two pieces. The plastic clips that hold the rod in place were wearing and had allowed the rod to drop out putting pressure on the clip. In order to install new rod holders the unit would have to be removed and the unit taken apart in order to install new clips that would just wear out again. My choice was to just junk the item and go with a direct drive unit with no screw drive rod. My advice to anyone wanting to have a garage door opener that last is do not buy the Genie powermax 1200.

Original review: March 5, 2016

I purchased a Genie Silentmax 1000 garage door opener from Home Depot on 12/05/2014. Just slightly over one year later (12/15/2015) the unit stopped working, the door would move about one inch up or down then it would stop. I called technical support and worked with them to try to resolve the problem. Nothing worked so they sent me a new part for the unit. I was frustrated because I had paid to purchase this unit, I paid to have it professionally installed and now just 12 months later was expected either repair this defective Genie unit myself or pay a professional to repair it.

When I called technical support for further assistance after receiving the new part they told me that there was nothing more that they could do because it was no longer under warranty. I posted a review on the Genie website and noticed that the only reviews posted were those praising their products. My review is nowhere to be found on the site. Needless to say after have spent my hard earned money on a Genie Garage door opener I am in the position of having to stop my car, get out to open the garage door by hand, get back into the car to pull into the garage then stand on a chair to close the garage door again. It is frustrating to do this as I look up at my relatively new, completely useless Genie product hanging from the ceiling.

Genie Garage Doors Company Information