AARP Roadside Assistance

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About AARP Roadside Assistance

AARP offers roadside assistance through Allstate. AARP members who sign up for roadside assistance can get help 24/7 if they have a flat tire, need their car towed, run out of gas, have a dead car battery or lock their keys in their car. Members are covered in the United States, Puerto Rico and Canada.

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

AARP Roadside Assistance Reviews

Stars Rating

• 100%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about AARP?

Reviewed Feb. 25, 2019

I had to change my credit card info for billing, and I get an east Indian that can barely speak English to take my info. We have two american names here, AARP and Allstate. I am angry, where's the America first? I'm not paying good money so these two so called american companies can make a fortune using either Visa users or out of country. Where's your loyalty? Support Americans, as we are supporting you.

Reviewed Feb. 23, 2019

I had an awful recent experience with AARP Roadside Assistance on Monday February 18, 2019. Unfortunately, this is not the first time I have experienced an issue with getting service from AARP Roadside Service. On Monday, February 18, 2019 just before 10:45 am, 3 of the bolts that connected my tire sheered off and my tire went rolling past me, leaving me on my rotor on the side of a back country road, 8 miles from any gas station or service. I called AARP Roadside Assistance right away for a tow. At that time, I informed the representative that I had a dog, a Border Collie in the vehicle with me that would need to be transported in the tow truck with me. I received a text saying that my tow was supposed to arrive in about 2 hours.

I waited for my tow and 2 hours later received another text that they were looking for a provider. I called in and was informed that the first provider canceled. I informed the representative that my battery on my cell was low and I had no way to charge it. I was told that the new provider would be there in about an hour. The new provider, Merced City towing showed up and would not transport the dog, left me on the side of the road. I called in again and told the representative to send another tow truck that would transport the dog with me and my battery was going to die because I was at 1%. I told them I was hanging up in case I needed to call 911.

Guess what? NO ONE CAME!!! Luckily, my friend in Monterey, CA 150 miles away knew that I was stranded in the middle of nowhere and when he couldn't reach me anymore by cell phone, drove 150 miles to find me. He arrived just after 11 pm. I was stranded on the side of the road for more than 12 hours with NO HELP from AARP Roadside!!! They should be ashamed of themselves, claiming to provide roadside services to AARP members, obviously that would mean elderly because you must be 50 or more to join.

I emailed AARP, AARP Roadside Assistance and Allstate asking them to review the frantic phones calls I made that day so they can explain to me, why a tow company that would also transport my dog was not dispatched and why a 3rd provider was not dispatched in the 12 hour period that I was stranded. My call and their notes, clearly stated that I have a dog with me!!! I will be reporting this incident to AARP, Allstate, and any feedback sites I can to let people know of the issues I experienced! I'm waiting on their replies.

Reviewed Feb. 3, 2019

I noticed my tire went flat in the garage. It's kind of tricky changing these tires, so I called AARP for assistance which took forever, difficult to understand the guy. He would ask questions but talked over me. When completed, he told me I would receive a text, being my go between. I waited and waited, finally changed the tire myself. On the thread of the text I wrote, "I won't need service anymore," waited then text again. About an hour or so later I received an automated call from AARP, with options. I picked the one that service has not been provided. I spoke with a man, telling him about the text I received and my reply to the text. He put me on a very long hold, meanwhile the service guy showed up while I was on hold. I sent the serviceman away, I didn't need it anymore.

When the guy on the phone finally came back, he got really angry with me. I tried telling him about the text, what I did and where it came from and he replied, "we would never send a text." The text came from Allstate, but he didn't care. He wanted me to pay $200 in a service call. I just googled AARP and sure enough Allstate is used by AARP. I decided to go with AAA and I won't be renewing with AARP. My wife has had bad experiences with AARP as well. Good thing I wasn't stranded in the snow on a freezing day or this would of been an ambulance picking me up instead.

Customer ServiceCoverage

Reviewed Jan. 1, 2019

Please read fine print! ON an annual superior membership they only cover four calls in a year! Normally one does not break down that often but in my case I had series of unfortunate incidents and I have a relatively new car 2008 MB AMG with only 24878 miles. When I called them they said they won't come because I have called them too many times. That was also fine so I said, "Ok. Cancel my membership as my insurance covered it anyway." On January 1st 2019 I get an alert from my credit card company that they charged me $94.00 despite cancelling. They make it really difficult to cancel a membership!

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Dec. 18, 2018

Seeing that the price was very slightly lower than AAA, I paid in June 2018, thinking it would be at least similar. My first call for service was for towing on December 8, 2018, about 2:00pm. They estimated the tow would take 2-and-a-half hours. I told them okay because I needed to get my car to the repair shop, about a half hour away from me, by 6:00. When 5:40 came, I called to cancel the tow. I called for service again on Monday morning Dec 10. They told me two hours. This time they actually came.

Then today, December 17, 2018, I received a letter from them saying I had used my limit of four service calls and that any further service would be at my own expense. Even if they counted the Saturday December 8 call that never came, that would only be two. For all the years I used AAA, they always came in less than an hour and they never told me I had used four service calls when I had only used one and they never told me I had a limit of four calls.

Customer ServiceContract & TermsStaff

Reviewed Sept. 25, 2018

Signed up for AARP in May and need the immediate tow from breakdown to home. Was not issued membership number and told I would need to pay out of pocket, then get reimbursed by AARP. I immediately began requesting reimbursement through Roadside Assistance. They dropped ball throughout summer - they never sent my claim to proper department or filed it in the round file. I kept having to call to find out status of claim. In early September I received an unprofessional form letter paragraph from Allstate saying my claim had been received from AARP, but they had not included my membership number. I immediately sent the form back with my membership number.

Today, September 23, I received letter stating my claim has been denied as it has been over 60 days since the date of service. Yes - because AARP has futzed around all summer over $109.95! Now I am expected to gather all of the correspondence, including postmarked envelopes, as well as any notes I may have taken from phone calls. Well, being that we were in the middle of moving, I made the mistake of trusting AARP, after all, they market themselves as the protectors of senior citizens and their wallets. Ha! I have just enough to prove what has been going on, but I did not copy the most recent Allstate correspondence - I responded and sent the form back to them. And who keeps envelopes? And most mail is no longer postmarked anyway!

I was going to look into AARP for auto and life insurance once we moved. I have also been looking forward to terminating my cellular contract with Sprint and signing up with ** through AARP. Scratch all that. This company is gangster just like all the large greedy corporations claiming they are looking out for our well-being. For roadside assistance, AAA would have been the better choice. Stay away from AARP!

Reviewed Sept. 17, 2018

I wish I had read these reviews before being duped by a "reputable" organization like AARP into signing up for Allstate roadside assistance. I signed up/paid my money in March 2018. It is now mid-September 2018 and I have yet to receive my ID card or the two (2) "free" watches promised as an incentive to sign up. I have called multiple times and each time have been told "it will be another 6-8 weeks". THAT IS RIDICULOUS! I told Allstate today that I either wanted my money returned or that the Roadside packet with watches be sent via UPS or FedEx SO THAT I HAVE A TRACKING NUMBER to verify that it was actually sent. After reading all these reviews, I want to know why AARP hasn't severed ties with this company?

Reviewed Aug. 26, 2018

Folks, when shopping for a roadside assistance service, you can believe these one star reviews. Called last night at 8:50 for assistance, father-in-law hit a curb and blew out both passenger side tires. Friendly face on the other end of the line promised a tow truck would be there in 50 minutes. We explained to them that the truck was on a dark road with no shoulder and the driver is a 75 year old disabled vet... while I don’t expect immediate service, I expect timely service, and 50 minutes I thought was reasonable. Received a text from AARP 15 minutes later... Service truck was going to be late, somewhere between 10:40 and 11:00 pm. To AARP’s defense, they did call a few times to see if the tow truck had arrived. When they called we indicated no and they in turn tried to contact the tow company and could get no response. With no response from the tow company AARP told us another 10-15 minutes or so.

This went on and on with calls from AARP until midnight (a full 3+ hours after the first call) when I finally unloaded on the representative and told them in no uncertain terms that I was greatly dissatisfied and they need to get someone out here NOW! The representative explained that they would first have to cancel the initial towing provider (that they could not reach by phone since 9:00) and call a new one which could take longer. My response was, “do what you need to do to get someone out here as quickly as possible.”

Finally at 1:20, a nice fellow (dispatched from AARP) from Colonial Towing in Upper Marlboro, MD showed up for service. He quickly loaded up the truck and was on his way. Even though it wasn’t his fault, he was genuinely apologetic for us having to wait over 4 hours for a tow. Long story short, save your money and patronize a better service like AAA... AARP/Allstate was horrible and left a 75 year old disabled vet and his family stranded for over 4 hours in the middle of the night.

Customer ServiceCoverageStaff

Reviewed Aug. 24, 2018

In June of 2017 I purchased a van conversion in preparation for a trip from Florida to California. I was 72 years old and traveling alone. I spoke with a sales rep of AARP's road service who asked a lot of questions about my vehicle which I provided along with the VIN. Two months later, in August, My vehicle broke down in the middle of the Gator Alley Bridge in Alabama. I called AARP Roadside Assistance and was told that they had sold me the wrong insurance and they weren't going to send anyone out to help because my vehicle was too heavy. I was devastated. I had no choice but to call 911 and the bridge authorities sent one of their bridge vehicles to guide me off the bridge, when I was once again alone with a broken vehicle. I had to find a tow company myself and paid over $300 for two separate tows, once to a hotel and then to a Dodge repair shop - I was in a strange state, strange town, on a strange road and completely helpless.

All I have received from Allstate/AARP is a letter apologizing for the "inconvenience" and telling me that my $58 premium will be credited back to my credit card (which they know no longer exists)!!! I can't call anyone because they will not give me a phone number. I've made over 30 phone calls all over the country trying to find addresses and/or phone numbers. I finally found one address in TX, but was told that they "cannot give a phone number." I was defrauded not "inconvenienced" and could have been killed, so this can in no way be deemed "inconvenience." I see many, many complaints similar to mine from people going back many years, so nobody is doing anything about this. Somehow a class action should be brought to put a stop to this.

Customer ServicePunctuality & SpeedStaffReliability

Reviewed July 20, 2018

On 7/12/18 we attempted to get assistance in Pearl City when my daughter's car would not start. We thought it was the battery and requested a jump start. The provider here in Honolulu, Hawaii is Pop-A-Lock who can only jump start the car. Pop-A-Lock service personnel drive a compact car and do not provide services such as battery replacement for a fee (as does AAA) nor are they able to tow the car. For unknown reasons, the service request was cancelled and my daughter texted back to advise service was still needed. One hour later, still waiting and a followup call the service person claimed they called 4 times, circled the area and left for another call close by but would return after completing that call.

An 90 minutes later, the service person calls and claims since he was not able to contact her, the call was marked cancelled and he would not be able to come until he received a new call. He indicated he left to respond to another call in Haleiwa (north shore, 40 minutes away) and now stuck in Lanikai traffic (other side of the island) and did not know when he would be able to come. AARP Roadside service was called again. The operator said she could put up a call but could not request a provider but it would be handled by whoever responded to the call first. Almost two hours later, message rec'd from Pop-A-Lock sent a message saying service person to arrive. My daughter attempted to contact Pop-A-Lock directly, calling 5 times, but the phone was busy and there was no option to leave a message.

In the end, a friend had to be called to pick up a new battery and replaced it. AARP Roadside Service is WORTHLESS!!! DO NOT GET IT!!! Below are my daughter's notes on the specifics: Thursday, July 12, 2018 At 4:39 PM, I called AARP Roadside Service to report that my car battery was dead and to request assistance. After waiting on hold for about 10 minutes, I spoke to a representative who asked for my location and a description of my car, and said that she would send a service provider to help me. I received a status update via text message from AARP at 4:59 PM that said they have confirmed with Pop-a-Lock of Honolulu and that they should arrive between 5:56 PM – 6:11 PM.

At 5:19 PM, I received another text message from AARP that said they received a service cancellation, and to text “service” if I still needed assistance. I had not cancelled, so I texted “service.” At 5:30 PM, I received a call from AARP asking about the cancellation, and I explained that I had not cancelled the service call. She said she would contact the service provider and call me back.

At 5:45 PM, the AARP representative called back and said the service provider had sent someone out to my location, called me 4 times, and circled the location before leaving to respond to another call. I told her that I did not receive any missed calls and that no service provider had come (I was standing next to my car in a parking lot.) She asked me if I was sure that I was standing near my car, and I responded that I was. She sounded like she did not know what to do at that point, gave me the phone number for the service provider, and suggested that I call them myself.

When I spoke to the dispatch center at Pop-a-Lock, the representative repeated the same story of how the service person had called me 4 times, and had left when I did not answer. I explained to her that I did not receive any missed calls, and she said she understands that the area has “spotty” reception. (It does not.) She said that the person assigned to me left to take care of another call close by and should be at my location shortly.

At 6:08 PM, I received a call from the service person who was assigned to me, and he said that he tried to call me 4 times and that I did not answer. I told him that I did not receive any missed calls, and he continued to insist that he called me. He mentioned that my service call was marked as “cancelled” so he wouldn’t come until he received a new call. When I told him that I never cancelled the call, he said that he had left to respond to another call in Haleiwa, was now stuck in traffic, and did not know how long it would take for him to get to me anyway. I told him I would call AARP to straighten out the situation.

At 6:15 PM I called AARP again to explain the situation and ask if they could send a different service provider to me since the current person was stuck in traffic. She said she could put in another request, but the service provider to respond would be whoever responded to the call first. At 6:25 PM I received a text message from AARP that said that the same service provider, Pop-a-Lock, was sending service, and that they were set to arrive between 7:25 PM – 7:40 PM.

I tried to call Pop-a-Lock to request a different service person, since the one initially assigned to me was stuck in traffic. I attempted to call them 5 times over the next 10 minutes, but their phone line was busy, and there was no option to leave a message. By that time, I had been waiting for a total of 2 hours. I decided to call a friend, who drove to me with a new car battery and changed it for me. After I got home, I called Pop-a-Lock to cancel my service call. Ten minutes later, I got a call from the service person who was responding to my service call. I guess the dispatch center had not informed the service person that the service call was cancelled. Poor communication and service!

Updated on 08/01/2018: This is a followup response to earlier post: FRUSTRATING MAIL TOO!!! Got a letter in the mail from AARP Roadside Assistance to let me know that we have used two of our three opportunities (For this year) to call for Roadside Assistance. First of all, we got NOTHING but had placed two calls (which were cancelled since we got no-shows from the Pop-A-Lock, the provider). So the cancelled calls still count!!! WHAT THE **? We have CANCELLED AARP ROADSIDE Service and signed up with the old reliable AAA!! AARP has not yet responded to what POP-A LOCK's excuse was!!! GOOD RIDDANCE to AARP which makes my blood boil every time I start to think about the NON-SERVICE they are providing to poor Seniors!!!

Reviewed June 13, 2018

On Feb. 23rd of 2018 my partner and I broke down going up a hill on a snowy back road between 2 and 3 miles from our NW Montana home. I immediately called the AARP Roadside Assistance program, my first ever call after signing up in October of 2017. I had signed up for the service for the sole reason that I didn't want my partner, a cancer patient in active treatment to have to deal with this kind of situation. It was late afternoon on a Friday, and in Mt. that means near dark. The temperature was below freezing. The operator was quite helpful but after an hour was unable to find anyone local to come tow us home. She suggested we leave the vehicle because she thought she could get it towed in the morning. This was not feasible, not only too long and cold a walk for my partner, but also a danger to leave the vehicle on a narrow, slick road after dark as well.

I told the representative that I could not leave the vehicle unattended and that I would walk for help and take care of it myself. She was very apologetic and gave me a claim number and instructions to write up the details and submit a claim for $120 since she could not get help for us. She said she would include all the details in her report as well. I walked home in the dark. I brought jumper cables and a tow rope back in our small car. My partner and I had to roll the stranded vehicle down the hill backwards and use the car and tow rope at the bottom to pull the pickup backwards and forwards until it was turned around, in order to hook it up and tow it home. It could not be jumped and the small car could not tow it up the hill. It took well over an hour and was pretty arduous.

I did as the rep had told me and submitted a claim in the next couple of days to AARP Roadside Assistance. I never heard back. On April 16th I called and asked about the claim. After being passed around and put on hold I was informed the claim was denied because there hadn't been a "proper invoice". I went over the whole situation with the phone rep and she assured me they would be in touch within 2 weeks. I never heard back.

I called again on May 1st and got the same spiel. I got a little cranky and ended up speaking with a supervisor of some sort who said I absolutely would be getting some kind of response in the mail within 2 weeks. I never got anything in the mail nor did I hear from them via the phone. I called AARP to report this complaint and they called Roadside Assistance on my behalf. Within a few days a rep called and said that they would be sending me $60 for my claim. I told that rep the whole story and my frustration at being ignored and then jerked around. I then received a check for $60 on 6/12/2018.

I am not trying to get more money from AARP Roadside Assistance. I am writing this review so that anyone who might be thinking of trying this program has the chance to know beforehand that it is a rip-off. I am surprised that AARP has continued their affiliation with it after all the other negative reviews I have since read.

Reviewed March 22, 2018

Last week, my tire blew out while I was traveling on a busy interstate. I immediately called for roadside assistance for a tire change. I was told that a truck would be there in 45 minutes. An hour later, I am still waiting so I called back and was then told the driver was stuck in traffic and be there in 20 minutes. ONE HOUR LATER, I called AARP Roadside Assistance AGAIN, only to be told “the driver says it’s too dangerous for him to change a tire on the interstate”. Hello?!? Not too dangerous for a female senior citizen (AARP is for seniors, right?) to be stranded on the interstate??? Exactly what IS Roadside Assistance if NOT for Assistance on the road??? I’m searching for another company and WILL NOT renew my membership!!!

Price

Reviewed Feb. 3, 2018

When our daughter's car went down a ditch, AARP Roadside was UNABLE to find someone in their network to tow her...and she was 20 minutes from a large city! We had to find someone who hugely overcharged us and am now waiting on AARP to reimburse us, and I doubt it will be for the full amount! This is the second time that we've been told they can't find anyone in their network to tow us... What is the use of having a roadside assistance plan if it can't be used? Despite the large difference in cost between AARP Roadside and AAA, I'm switching to AAA!

Reviewed Jan. 23, 2018

Well, I finally got a letter from AARP motoring plan (premier) confirming that they did NOT feel they owed me anything - even an apology. I had to pay $95 to have the car towed four miles to an exit, and a parking lot where AARP was allowed to tow me my free hundred miles. I paid $240 for 66 miles towing (over the hundred) and $95 for the first four miles. They would NOT admit that I had been deceived. Their "free towing" only works on SOME roads. Not toll roads, something like that.

Do not, I repeat, do not, get the AARP motoring plan! Go to AAA and get real service from a company that does not have a hundred negative reviews. Fair warning. And speaking of fair, Farewell, AARP motoring plan! I would NEVER sign up again, and would advise anyone to avoid it. Fooey. They did not care enough to want my membership to continue - and I'd been with them 11 years! Such is the loyalty of a corporation. Don't be on this ship when it goes down.

Reviewed Jan. 20, 2018

My wife hit a big pothole on a dark highway along with about 15 others and blew out a tire at night in the cold rain. She called me so I called AARP Roadside Assistance. This was at 5:30 PM. At 7 PM still no one. Then I get a call from Florida (I'm in RI) from someone telling me the driver can't find the car, turns out he drove past the 5 cars near her and cruiser thinking I don't know what. I gave him specific directions again. At 7:30 still no one yet other wreckers came by for other people there.

At 7:30 I received a call from the service provider who was 6 miles away (very apologetic). Tells me the Auto Club cancelled the request. WTF. He says he's going to help anyway. So I directed him to my wife's car, now she's been waiting over 2 hours in the dark on a busy highway in the rain. The service person arrived in a car not a tow truck or wrecker. With a pothole large enough to blow out 15 tires there could have been frontend damage, fortunately not in our case. By 8 PM 2.5 hours later she was on her way. Stay far away from this one.

Customer ServiceInstallation & SetupPunctuality & SpeedStaff

Reviewed Dec. 10, 2017

Called AARP Roadside Assistance by Allstate for a dead battery at 8:00 AM. AARP indicated that someone would arrive in 90 minutes. After the 1.5 hour wait with no service, we were told it would be another 80 minutes because all of their service providers were helping others with a greater need than ours. At 11:30 AM we still had no help and called AARP to tell them we had a noon appointment and asked to reschedule for 3:00 PM. We were assured that would be no problem.

We called when we returned at 1:30 and asked about service. The rep indicated it would arrive at approximately 3:00 (as we had asked she reminded us). At 4:15 PM, the rep called to say it would be at least another 75 minutes. 30 minutes later, she called back and indicated she had found a service provider who could come in 30 minutes and she named the make and model automobile. Although we own a vehicle of that kind, she had the wrong automobile registered for service! A total nightmare! I will be cancelling our AARP membership tomorrow morning. Pitiful service!

Reviewed Oct. 21, 2017

I needed roadside assistance and waited for service to arrive for 3.5 hours. I sat on the side of the road in the middle of the summer, no utilities, no water, a diabetic which I had stated on first call. The service provider was two towns over from me, never made contact even after several calls to AARP. My last call to AARP was less than stellar but service finally came. Once home, I called and cancelled my service immediately and went back to Triple AAA. Horrendous experience.

Reviewed Sept. 28, 2017

My 80 year old Mother in Law had a dead battery in Fort Lauderdale earlier this week. She waited 4 hours for someone in the hot Florida heat to even call her back. They told her they had no one to even come jump start the car which was in a supermarket parking lot at 10:45 am. A tow truck finally came after 5 hours and took her to her mechanic which was closed. They wouldn't take her the six blocks to her home so she had to walk. I am really shocked that AARP was a company like this. Their response to me was lame. I wonder how the CEO of AARP would have felt if this happened to her 80 year old Mother in Law? I bought her AAA and got it for us too.

Customer ServicePrice

Reviewed Aug. 21, 2017

When I needed a tow last Saturday August 19 , the fellow I was talking to at AARP could not speak clearly or understand English. I told him I needed a tow truck because my pickup would not start. He said I needed to drive to a filling station where they would jump-start my vehicle. I told him that I didn't need a jump start. I needed a tow truck. He finally said he would send help. I asked when I could expect help, and he answered, "Between 6 and 9." I said that's a 3-hour window! Then he said, "6-0-9."

Anyway when the fellow called in a little bit from the roadside service company, he said that AARP told him that I needed a jump start and had not authorized a tow. It cost me $135 out of my pocket. I just got off the phone with AARP to find out about a reimbursement. They told me they have a $130 limit and they have no quick response to problems like this. I'm considering dropping AARP coverage and getting one of those smart phones that I can ask where a local roadside service is if I happen to be out of my local area. The cost of the phone and the service help would be much cheaper that the $100 a year I'm paying AARP.

Reviewed June 10, 2017

Do not ever get this AARP ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE JUNK!!! THIS IS THE WORST THING EVER. Your loved ones deserve better. This all started when my 16 year old daughter broke down and needed a tow about 10:30 on a weeknight. I called for a tow after about an hour was told no one could come get her and she needed to wait till in the morning at 9 am to call back, but the kick was when the guy said she needed to stay with the car till that time. WTH. Of course I lost it and he hung up on me. Next morning still trying to get car towed, I call at about 9:30 am to get the tow. They told me that they would be there in 1 hour 10 min.

After hanging up with them the tow company called said they would be out in 45 min but they had a different name from who the AARP so I asked if they were sent by AARP and he said yes plus that it would be no charge for the tow. So 1 hour goes by again I get a call from AARP checking to see if service had been done. I said no. I said the towing company called, said they had some problems but would be there in 45 min. I told her what towing company called. She confirmed it then put me on hold to call them. In the middle of talking to her the towing company called me to say that the driver was still about 30 min out. Click back over to AARP REP for her to say, “Yea. Driver is 25 mins out.” Now it's 11 something. AARP calls again but this time they’re saying another company is coming so now I'm mad as hell at this point.

After arguing with them for 30 min they finally called the tow company. Put them on the line so they could tell me and them that it was the same two companies. How you as a roadside assistance don't know who you send out. Not only that I paid the over mileage fee that night on the phone and then that morning they made me pay again. If I had not gotten a deposit that night I could have not paid for it that morning because they took what I had that night. This happen Wednesday and as of Friday I still have not been given my credit back for that and was told it could take 10 days.

It's so much more to this but bottom line. I'm going back to AAA. AARP SHOULD BE ASHAMED OF THIS PRODUCT AND CUT TIES WITH IT. This is the worst service I have ever had. Tow got there at 1 pm after 9:30 am calling and by the way this was my second encounter with them and the first was bad too. Never again. Plus my card says AARP ROADSIDE ASSISTANCE by Allstate but State Farm is what was calling and taking out my account.

Reviewed April 28, 2017

I have been faithful for 15 years to AAA and Mercedes Benz Roadside Assistance programs. They have given me superb service in times of need and even when I proved to be just absent minded by locking my keys in my car. At the end of my policy period with these providers, 3/1/17, I allowed an AARP representative to elude me into believing that AARP Roadside Assistance Program from Allstate could do as great a job and save me a little money. Having just reached the 50 milestone and being wooed by the thought of saving, I decided to give AARP/Allstate a try. WRONG ANSWER!!!

Today, April 28. 2017, my car malfunctioned and stalled on one of the busiest stretches of intersection in Louisiana, the Manchac Bridge. As five Louisiana State Troopers passed me by without any acknowledgement, I, without hesitation, called the toll free number expecting assistance. Instead, I was told that my payment had not been received and there was nothing that could be done for me.

Knowing fully that the $58 charge had processed on my AMEX, I called the credit card company to scream at them. As I knew, the charge had processed over 2 weeks ago. The only peace I had was knowing that AMEX would recover my funds immediately. But I was instructed to call ARRP/Allstate back and dispute their position. Upon doing so, I lost another 30 minutes speaking to foreign representatives who had no understanding of the English language. After 3 tries, I demanded an English speaking representative.

The representative, an alleged supervisor, stated there was nothing she could do to correct the improper posting of my payment. She gave service referrals only after I read to her the back of my membership card which stated that she could assist me by requesting roadside assistance and allowing me to pay on the spot and be reimbursed once the posting was corrected. All the dispatchers at the referral businesses were very polite and insightful.

Unfortunately, the attitude was very different with the actual towing company owner who dispatched the service truck, Touch of Class Towing in Albany, Louisiana. The owner, Joe, pretended to be empathetic and helpful. He insisted that he would come to assist me, he stated there was no need to call any other towing services and even recommended a repair shop. I was told that a tow truck was headed to me to take me home or to a repair shop and that I could pay when the service was performed. The driver, Gaven, was very polite, kind and calming.

My car was loaded on the wrecker and off we went. To my surprise, the owner instructed his driver to take me completely out of the path toward my home, he then insisted that he could only take cash, could not write a receipt because "there was no one in his office", and wanted to dump me at a McDonald's to try to find transportation in a town where I did not know anyone and was nowhere near my home. I requested that my car be taken to the repair shop with whom I had scheduled an appointment. The owner refused to allow me to be taken to the repair shop and attempted to take my car to his impound yard for the weekend. Mind you, today is Thursday. I disagreed and told him. I would rather be taken to a local police station if he was not going to tow me to my requested location. The driver was then instructed not to allow me access to my car. So I had to call police.

As I attempted to call, an officer drove up. Thank God, he was familiar with this company and their less than honorable nature. If the officer had not shown up when he did, I could have been stranded in an unknown area and my car would have been STOLEN!!! The Albany Police Officer was exceptionally kind, he instructed the driver not to leave with my car, waited with me until my sister made it, and assured that we received verification of the payment. The driver demanded had to be cash, $150 quoted, $54 extra dollars charged for waiting on my sister to get there. But mind you, once the Police Office demanded some for of receipt of payment, the owner had us wait another 20 minutes for him to arrive with a receipt, no discount as given for us waiting. I am an auditor and have traveled the highways for 17 years.

This has been the worst experience I have had in my 15 years of dealing with roadside assistance services. AARP roadside assistance from Allstate is the worst roadside assistance I have ever had. I would not recommend this service to my worst enemy's dead, decaying, stinking dog!!! Because of Allstate and AARP, my car and my life were placed in an extremely unsafe situation tonight!!! I have already called and reestablished my AAA Service!!! To God be the glory for giving someone the vision to form AAA!!!

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed March 18, 2017

Waited on hold for 37 mins at 2:45 am with flat tire 9 degrees outside and 30 mph winds. When they finally answered they called a company to change my tire that was located in TX (I'm in CT and 1 mile from my home). Waited 45 mins and no one showed up. Called this company and they stated that my call was cancelled by allstate because they "couldn't pay" and the guy on the phone sounded somewhat amused. Called back roadside, another 17 mins on hold, told the csr what happened and she said "oh they have done this before, they are not very reliable" (then why the hell would you use them?) Told her about a tow company.5 miles from me. She put me on hold for another 10 mins, came back and said that they were on the way. 1 hour later I called the tow company to ask them what the hold up was. They stated that they needed a fax with the paperwork to come through, and once it did he would be right there.

So once again I call roadside to find out why the paperwork had not gone through. 15 mins on hold, I hung up and called the tow company and paid them $100.00 to tow me home. I have sent the receipt to allstate but have not heard anything yet. I have since cancelled, and went back to AAA. Stay away from this company. And with all the bad reviews, I am amazed they are still in business.

Reviewed March 16, 2017

Needed a tow first time since getting service over a year ago. Very unimpressed with customer service! Was put on hold 15 minutes, then told would need to call me back. When I was called back was told would be 2 hours to get a tow! Told the rep to cancel service. Will have to reschedule in morning as the repair shop would be closed by the time they arrive. I don't live in the middle of nowhere! Am seriously considering changing to AAA. My mother has them, much faster service.

Reviewed Feb. 23, 2017

My car broke down in the middle of a busy intersection. When I called for assistance, I was directed to a woman in India who spoke very broken English and understood even less. I tried to tell her how I needed help urgently, but for a half hour... 30 minutes, she insisted on asking me the same questions, and never connected me with a towing company. I finally had to hang up on her and find someone who had another roadside service so I could get a tow truck to remove my car. At first I was alarmed by the lack of help, but now I'm just disappointed and angry. I've canceled my subscription and joined AAA. At least I know when I call for roadside service now, I won't have to talk to India to get help from around the corner.

Reviewed Feb. 12, 2017

Me and my stepdaughter with my 3 year old grandson were in Nashville Tn at the airport where my stepdaughter had forgot to gas up. As we were waiting with car running it ran out of gas. I called AARP roadside assistance at 12.23 pm, told them my problem, where I was and I knew a Shell station was 1.1 mile away. I have the app Gas Buddy so I knew a gas station wasn't far. After 3 phone calls for each representative who had me on hold for a long time just to come back on phone to tell me they couldn't get the driver to answer phone.

By this time it was an hour and 40 minutes. Which by now my stepdaughter walked to get the gas herself. My 3 yr grandson was getting restless and good thing it wasn't real cold or I probably would contact a lawyer over their service. I would not recommend this roadside to anyone. I told them I'm discontinuing their service still the same as before. Don't waste your time. I'm going with AAA. I had it before and had a flat tire once and someone was there in 15 minutes. So for a woman it's best to go with the service you can depend on and it's more safer than to sit for help an hour half.

PricePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Dec. 29, 2016

Every year I start receiving near weekly "renewal invoices" from these guys, and every year it's the same deal. They appear to be intentionally vague about EXACTLY when the renewal is due (usually 2 or three months later than the "renewal invoices" start coming), and always "assume" that I want to "renew" at what appears to be their most expensive plan, whatever that might happen to actually contain. It seems nearly impossible to get straightforward WRITTEN answers out of them on any of these issues. I get the very strong feeling that their business model is pushing the "old and feeble and slow of mind" idea, which could not be further from the truth. The one time I needed some assistance I pounded sand and resolved it myself. This is just a nice word for "alleged" theft. I'm gone - beware AARP Motoring!

Reviewed Dec. 13, 2016

I am writing this for my 88-year-old mother. Around 10:00 pm, Thanksgiving evening, my mother was driving home from our family dinner. She always carries a cell phone and has AARP roadside assistance, so she has always felt secure and safe should an emergency arise. While driving home (she lives in a rural area) she had a flat tire. The call to roadside assistance immediately took place and she felt confident someone would come and help her. After waiting 45 min for a return call, she received a callback and the man informed her there was nothing available because it was a holiday.

My mother asked him if people did not have emergencies on holidays? He told she would have to call someone else. She did not know how to do that, she does not have a smart phone to look telephone numbers up. She called my brother-in-law for help. After hearing of this, the family is outraged! This is a service they offer "SENIOR CITIZENS". We are advising my mother to change insurance. We are just thankful she was not injured and made it home safely, no help from AARP.

Customer ServiceCoverageStaff

Reviewed Nov. 30, 2016

Thanksgiving morning, 11/24/16 we went out to our car in the driveway and found that the battery was dead. No problem, right? We have AARP Roadside Assistance. I called and got someone who I had trouble understanding, (maybe from India?) and he told me we had no coverage. We have been with the company since 2009 and always paid. He told me to call Customer Service, which I did. Guess what their voicemail message said - "We are sorry but we are not open as it is a holiday. Please call back on Monday." Now, we live in a senior mobile home park and had no neighbors that could physically push our car out to even jump start it. So - - we could not have our Thanksgiving dinner and were trapped in our house for the day. When I called Road Assistance on Friday I was told I did have coverage, there was no lapse of any kind (he also spoke like someone from India and said his name was Kavi).

He then transferred me to "Roger" who set up the service call with a very nice tow company who arrived within 25 minutes, manually pushed the car out of the driveway and jump started it. My husband told him he was driving it to Pep Boys and the driver volunteered to follow him to the next freeway off-ramp to make sure it was still running. The name of the towing company is Quality Towing and I highly recommend them. I DO NOT recommend AARP Roadside Assistance if they continue to hire people who can't speak good English and give false information. I did receive an e-mail from the manager, Phyllis **, apologizing for the recent "frustration and inconvenience" we experienced. Did she suggest they send us a check for the Thanksgiving dinner we missed? No. They will immediately identify and address the circumstances that resulted in this level of service. Nice idea.

Reviewed Oct. 26, 2016

The AARP Roadside Assistance Plan working through Allstate is a very poor choice of service provider. Our most recent bad experience with them was calling for a tow, fortunately from our home, to a repair shop. The first estimate was 85 minutes. The auto-dialer called back at 90 minutes to see if the service had been completed. The next estimate was for 20 more minutes... Still no truck. Long-story-short, it took over 3.5 hours to get a tow.

This is not the first time we've have excessively long waits for service, it's just the longest so far. Fortunately, it was daytime, we were safe at home and could wait it out. If this had been at night on a rainy highway somewhere, it would have been much worse. Added to the long waits for service is the foreign call center being used. The operators are clearly all English as a second language people who are reading from their script cards. They have very little knowledge about the services or problems people are calling about. Cancelling our membership and returning to AAA. If anyone at AARP who considers what service plans to offer AARP Members is listening, please find a new provider or better yet, join up with AAA.

Reviewed Sept. 27, 2016

I experienced a great deal of added frustration when I placed a call for service for a dead battery. The service dispatcher was unable to understand my English and I had to repeatedly and repeatedly spell words that were very basic, such as College. This added to the delay in service and when roadside arrived, he was directed to the wrong address. I will change service companies.

Customer ServiceCoveragePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Sept. 26, 2016

Called for a tow (fortunately from my house on a nice day and not on the road in bad weather), and an automated voice put me through to the towing company, which then called back to say that Allstate says they have no record of me calling. Called to a live person (from India) and had to painstakingly and slowly give him all of my information. He conveyed it to the towing company, but it now said that Allstate said I was only covered for $100 rather than 100 miles. So called again, repeated this slow process, and another Indian agreed that it was for 100 miles. Called to confirm with towing, and they said they were getting two messages, but at last it was all confirmed. However, now the truck can't come for another two hours. This would have been intolerable if we were waiting on the highway waiting for three hours.

Reviewed Sept. 12, 2016

I called them for emergency Roadside Assistance and I was told 85 min. I said that was unacceptable. They called again and said 105 min, it wound up to be 6 hours. Then I complained to customer service and they said would refund some of my money. A measly 15 dollars. I never received or heard from them again. AAA IS BETTER.

Reviewed Aug. 29, 2016

Since no one has given this outfit more than 1 star, and that one probably only because it's required, this is a redundant rant and I could probably find a better use for my energy and time. It took a day and a half to get help with a flat tire on 8/27/16. The dispatcher at the AARP service took my phone # incorrectly and didn't fix it even after I corrected her. I corrected the number again on the second call that I made after I had been waiting twice the estimated time (that was only on the first day!). A day and a half later, when the tow truck finally arrived, he still had been given the original wrong phone number! Since my car was parked at my house right where the driver could see it exactly where he expected to find it, this guy had the intelligence to ring my doorbell when the wrong phone # didn't get me!

Reviewed Aug. 21, 2016

I have paid for this service for over 2 years, used it once successfully though had to wait a considerable amount of time. I am now trying to get assistance with a battery charge and it is over 2 hours and they have not found a provider to come to help. This service is awful and I will attempt to get a refund on this year's membership since the service is not provided.

Reviewed Aug. 1, 2016

AARP roadside assistance sucks. My car was damage in a tow, July 2, and I'm not getting nowhere. Made 5 complaints, nooooo one has called me back from July 2, and now it's August 2. Stay away from AARP roadside assistance.

Reviewed June 10, 2016

I have paid into AARP for 16 years and "donated" when I thought it was a bill. They are a huge corporation with lots of MONEY and resources and I thought their roadside service would be like triple A BUT NO IT IS NOT! It starts out with the annoying blah blah blah you have no way of shutting up and it's a "give us some more money crap" you sure don't want to hear if you are me almost 70 with so many health issues and a brain tumor and have a DEAD BATTERY! I called with my loaned flip-flop phone with almost no bars and me with a dead battery. When he answers it's like he is on the other side of the world, LANGUAGE issues and the phone blanking out because it isn't a land line and I'm getting really pissed. It is a scary place to be when you're old and sick and parked legally in the disabled parking at the goodwill in Shoreline, WA.

I never really understood what he was saying because of his lack of English! It was about 6 PM when I first called and when I asked after being put on hold and then not and when again "When will they be here?" he said about 10 pm. I said "WHAT THE **". Yes I swore and then he hung up on me and cancelled my service. It isn't AARP anymore. They use ALLSTATE and they farm it out to people all over the USA and outside the USA. This same scenario happened to me 4 more times with the "NO ENGLISH SKILLS" and I had to listen to the annoying sell for AARP crap to get to the people that don't speak or understand and I have a brain tumor. This is for old people. It's the biggest ripoff ever and I will notify the attorney general of the state of Washington and the insurance commissioner!!!

I'm still so darn angry. The 6th person that was in New York could speak English but by this time, 2 hours later I was so mad and I said, "Don't hang up, please or you won't have a job". She laughed and said, "Oh, you don't get it! I will have a job, hahaha". So they farm it out to Allstate who farms it out to anyone with a cellphone. I'm SURE anyone who reads this will decide I'm not reasonable but I really am. It was a terrible situation and they are a JOKE!!! The really nice guy that came to my rescue said he couldn't understand why they kept cancelling. He could see I had been trying to get help for hrs but then they AARP cancelled me!

I don't care about being nice when what you get when you need help the most is a nauseating lady fake voice trying to sell you AARP PRODUCTS you must listen too. I was going to go to their office in Seattle but decided to instead file a complaint against them with the attorney general whichever is most appropriate. Again I don't care what kind of language I used after the first call that was it for me. I am not kissing their butt that service is misleading, insulting and we are all old with problems that was the original program not this attitude of arrogance from idiots with cell phones. I am not a fake review, this just happened to me. I'm not a robot that has no emotions. NO WORRIES, IDIOTS ARE EVERYWHERE! I'm responding to their guidelines of how to write an effective review. They are cheating people out of their money!!! Personal opinion.

Reviewed May 14, 2016

Called roadside assistance, hard time understanding operator. He put me on hold 4 times, could not make him understand where I was located. I was 1 mile east of the Wabash River on highway 64 in Indiana heading east, simple enough and he must have asked me 5 times what is the ZIP code there was so he could look me up on the map. I GOT SO FRUSTRATED, AFTER 20 MINUTES OF THIS KNOTHEAD, I FINALLY FLAGGED SOMEONE DOWN TO HELP. When I get home it's back to AAA.

Reviewed April 25, 2016

I have been a member of AARP roadside service-premier plan since 2008. I pay 114.00/year for the family plan. Since we have four cars in the family, we previously used the towing service at least three times. All of those tows were local tows and, despite AARP never being able to find us an authorized provider, they were reimbursed in full. The plan I have claims to pay all towing costs up to 100 miles at no additional charge. (From the manual, "Towing will be limited to 100 miles from the point of disablement at no additional charge. Any expenses incurred beyond the 100 mile limit will be your responsibility"). I called for help on 03/08/16 and needed to have my car towed approximately 45 miles to a car dealership. (The car had a cracked block and was under factory warranty. Honda paid ALL expenses for the repair.)

On the phone, the assistant said he could not find any tow services in my area to help. They NEVER can. I always end up calling for a tow. Therefore, he said he would leave it up to me to contact a tow truck and have my car towed. Then I would need to submit the receipt and claim under the claim # ** for reimbursement. I called Stanley Wrecker Service. He charged 335.00 to tow my car 45 miles to the dealer for dealer-only warranty service. On 04/04/16 I received a reimbursement check from AARP roadside for 130.00. This is 205.00 less than the actual tow amount.

I looked in the AARP roadside assistance manual and website for clarification. In the manual, under a heading entitled 'Special Equipment' is the paragraph, "Roadside Assistance coverage includes one normally equipped service vehicle, one driver, and one service call per disablement, up to a maximum cost of $130. Any costs for additional personnel or special equipment are not covered, are at the members expense, and are not reimbursable."

Further down in the manual under the heading, "Roadside Assistance Includes Towing", is "The service provider will tow your car if it cannot be started or driven without causing damage. Towing will be limited to 100 miles from the point of disablement at no additional charge. Any expenses incurred beyond the 100 mile limit will be your responsibility, payable directly to the service provider at the time of service, and are not reimbursable. Service is limited to one tow or service call per disablement." The website repeatedly makes statements that the Premier plan covers 'Towing up to 100 miles at no charge'.

Further down in the manual, under Dispatch Guarantee, is the statement "If we are unable to provide roadside assistance when you call, we will reimburse you up to $260 for covered services you locate yourself. Reimbursement for Lost/Stolen Key Replacement is limited to $25. Reimbursement for lockout service and accident towing is limited to $130." My tow was NOT an accident tow. My complaint is that AARP Roadside Services uses deceptive practices by repeatedly making statements that they will tow a car 100 miles at no charge, but then they only pay a maximum of 130.00 for each tow.

I specifically asked AARP Roadside to send me names of any Towing service that would accept 130.00 as payment for a 100 mile tow, but I never got a response. I doubt seriously that ANY towing service would do that, so why do they advertise it? And, why wouldn't they pay for my 45 mile tow if service providers in this part of the country charge that amount? I want to be fully reimbursed for my tow and I want these deceptive practices examined.

Reviewed April 8, 2016

This is the first negative review I have ever posted about any business. On 3-4-16 I was stranded in the middle of the night with a dead battery, in a closed up business district, a mile’s walk from any kind of help. I called for roadside assistance. A half hour later the operator called me back and said “No one is available. I suggest you call the police.” I got on the phone myself and found a tow truck. I did the work that this service was supposed to provide. Afterward I attempted to cancel my AARP motor club membership and asked for a refund. I immediately signed up instead with AAA, because I do need a service like this, and I further need it to actually work. My request to cancel and receive a refund also has been ignored. As a senior woman, I expected better from an AARP affiliate. In posting this review I see this is business as usual for this company. AARP, you need to do better for your members.

Reviewed March 19, 2016

I marked my calendar as to when my emergency road service expired. No renewal paperwork or phone call was ever received, so I called them. Renewal paperwork was to arrive in 7-10 days - nothing ever arrived. I called again - there was no info in their system of my previous call. Beware people - this is the caliber of service you will get with this company.

Reviewed March 7, 2016

Called for a tow truck. They said they would call me back in 10 min. I waited 30 min. then called them back. They said it was not logged that I had called, then said it would be a 2-hour wait for a tow truck. Long story short I never did get a tow truck. I called one and paid out of pocket. Tow truck was there in 15 min. This service is no good. Save your money or go with AAA.

Reviewed March 1, 2016

My son broke down on the highway with his newborn infant on a below 0 night, he called the number on his card and after many question and comments and being put on hold, he was told there was no one available to come at that time, try again in the morning. By the morning they would have been frozen solid! After this any other petty problems, I tried to cancel. The non English speaking operator refused to cancel offering excuses for all of my problems and talking loudly over me when I objected. I finally said I'll call back and speak to someone else and hung up. He then continuously calls my number back like a deranged animal. I'm so upset because this is while I'm driving I have to pull over and block the number from my phone.

Reviewed Jan. 16, 2016

This is nonsense that I have an allstate-approved-towing 1 mile down the road and one has to come from 45 min away and it turns out this driver has a number of cars to tend to before he sees me. It's been over 1 1/2 hours and he's just now starting to my house. I called the towing 1 mile away to see if he had an answer to why he wasn't dispatched since he's close and he said that's how they do it... They have a list of 'preferred' towing and they start at the top of their list.

So why did they need my info 100x to get someone close to my house... Turns out they really didn't because they weren't sending someone close. Do these towers pay to be at the top of the list? They must because this makes no sense for anyone involved. It's ridiculous. Allstate rates #1 as a roadside provider but aarp (allstate) roadside is low on the list of good providers... What gives? Is it aarp at fault for such shoddy service or is allstate just giving older people less than average service when they are with aarp? Don't know which it is but I'm cancelling today.

Reviewed Nov. 22, 2015

Run away from this service with extreme prejudice. They advertise peace of mind with 24 hour roadside assistance, but all they are is predators preying on senior citizens with their false claims of help and security. They are completely ill equipped to handle any kind of road side emergency that you may have.

On Saturday, 4.19.15, at 11 PM while traveling on the turnpike in South Miami (very, very bad neighborhood) my wife and I had a blowout. We had a spare but I couldn't budge the lugnuts and called AARP roadside. 10 minute wait on phone then we got an operator who put us in touch with a tow guy, who spoke such poor English I couldn't understand him other than we were 6 blocks out of his zone and he didn't have the equipment to change a tire, then he hung up on us.

Another ten minutes, and we were transferred to India, frigging India, where they going to send an elephant or what. After another 5 minutes of the poorest English imaginable which I could understand less than the first rude person, we were transferred back to an operator who finally determined that they didn't have anyone would could help us because it was too late and everyone was closed. They obviously didn't get the memo about 24 hour assistance.

Reviewed Nov. 18, 2015

I have an old car and have been under my mom's account since 2009. I have had my car towed twice this year and twice last year. The last time I had my car towed was 5 days ago. Last night my car broke down and I was stuck on the side of the road. I called AARP roadside assistance like I always do and as usual, was sent to someone who spoke like a robot and was so unhelpful. All he told me was my name wasn't on the account, over and over. I screamed at him that I was broke down on the side of the road in the dark and I need a tow truck. All he did was repeatedly tell me my name was not on the account.

I asked for a manager. A replica of the first guy come on and does the same exact thing. After 30 minutes of begging for a tow truck I finally hung up and found other means of getting my car and myself somewhere safe. I will NEVER use or suggest anyone use AARP roadside assistance! I could be murdered in a bad neighborhood while I'm on the phone with a robot representative who doesn't care at ALL about my well being.

Also, the other times I was successful in having my car towed each time took more than 20 minutes on the phone with representatives who clearly did not speak English well and giving the directions/addresses was stressful and difficult. You can add tow truck service to your car insurance for cheaper and much less hassle than this joke of a service!

Reviewed Nov. 17, 2015

This service is included in my auto policy. I WILL NEVER, EVER, EVER USE AGAIN!! You better listen!! I'm warning you!! The customer service, not the actual people who come out to assist, the people on the phone!!!

Reviewed Nov. 15, 2015

Got off a 4 hour flight at SFO and found my car battery was dead and needed a jump (was at the San Bruno BART station). Still needed to drive 3.5 hours to get home. Call AARP Roadside Assistance at 2:45. Was told it would be about a 1 hour wait but the tow driver would call 15 minutes before he got there. No driver, so I called back at 3:45. At that time, I was told that the driver was stuck in traffic on 101 and would be there in 50 minutes. So I walked to Starbucks so I would be fully caffeinated for the drive home. Called at 4:50 because no one had showed up. Found out the dispatch agent was in New York state (?). They put me through to the local tow company who said the driver was on another call nearby and would be there in 30 minutes. After we hung up, I called AARP back to find out my options should the local company not show up and was told I could find my own tow company and get reimbursed.

When I called at 5:30 because still no driver, I was told that I had cancelled the service??? I insisted that I had not. They insisted that my inquiry into other options was a call to cancel the service. I then called a local service who was extremely helpful. While their driver was not able to make it there for another 1:15. Due to high call volume, the local tow company kept calling me back to keep me updated and apologize. Finally, got on my way at 7:00, over 4 hours after I first called AARP. The kicker is that I received a call at 8:15 from the AARP tow service asking if I still needed assistance. It's just insane that the AARP roadside assistance only has ONE service operator in the San Francisco area. It makes no sense. I'm giving a 3 for coverage. Only because they said they would reimburse me for the independent service I obtained.

Customer ServicePunctuality & Speed

Reviewed Nov. 11, 2015

I called AARP road service for a flat tire. They never called back and never showed up. I called twice. I finally gave up and called a road tow service... for over $70 I had to pay out of pocket. Now AARP will not reimburse me. They are a foul company. I'm going to file complaints now with the BBB and attorney general's office. What a bunch of losers at this company. I am a disabled senior and not servicing me could mean life or death if it's very hot or very cold, not to mention stuck on a road in the dark with loonies out there.

Reviewed Oct. 23, 2015

45 minutes on the phone and no one available to give service. First call, disconnected. 2nd call, the guy said he couldn't hear me. 3rd call, took 45 minutes only for them to tell me there is no one the area to help. This is the 2nd time I've used the service and neither time did I get help. Absolutely the worst. Do not waste your money!!!

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed Oct. 19, 2015

I am writing this because I paid for all of my kids to be under my plan. Last night my daughter's car died. Turns out she needed a tow. We have the premium plan. She called the Roadside Assistance number and said she needed a tow. The man on the phone (which she also had a very, very difficult time understanding) said he would send her a text to let her know what time the tow truck would arrive. 25 minutes later, after not receiving the text, she called them. They said they were having a hard time finding a towing company. They said she should find her own tow company. She indicated she would appreciate them helping her to find a towing company as well.

We were able to find a company on our own, had to pay out of our pocket for the tow. Now the fun begins to be reimbursed. These people have absolutely no business being in the business. She never received a follow up call to see if she was okay, got a tow, absolutely nothing. I am going to demand a full reimbursement and go back to AAA. I changed because AARP was half price. It's true what they say, you get what you pay for. A very dissatisfied former customer.

Reviewed Oct. 1, 2015

We were on a camping trip and needed our Motorhome towed. We finally got someone who told us we needed to upgrade, which we were willing to do. After much time we were told to call back and upgrade another day. Then they couldn't find a aarp tow truck so we had to call our own. We were told we would be reimbursed. Today I called and upgraded and was told we may or may not be reimbursed, depending on the claims department. We also had a very hard time that night understanding our operator, and well as today with the supervisor I demanded to talk to. Can't AARP hire Americans?

Customer ServicePriceStaff

Reviewed Sept. 18, 2015

Dead car - restaurant parking lot, highly-traveled, well known area in Austin, TX, i.e. not hard to find. I called AARP roadside assistance, and spent over 1/2 hour with a customer service rep who barely spoke, or understood, English, trying to explain who I was, and where I was. It took 5 minutes for him to even get my first name, which is not a difficult one. I waited over TWO HOURS, in 100-degree temperatures, when they said they would be there in 20 to 30 minutes. I called the service provider AARP had dispatched, several times, and was repeatedly told "10 more minutes".

During my long wait, I received a 'robotic' call back from the AARP Roadside program, asking if I had received service.. if no.. press 2 - so I press 2, and get yet another service representative that barely speaks, and does not understand, English, and AGAIN have to go through spelling my name, over and over; my address, etc. etc. even though they had called me. When I finally got through to them that I was STILL waiting for service, all they did was tell me to call back, if no one had arrived in... wait for it... "10 more minutes".

And to top it off - they charged me over 70 dollars on my card for a tow that I did not need. Turned out I only needed a jump start. Of course I did not know that when I originally called, being ignorant about cars (which is my error, not theirs). However, I again had to go through dealing with terrible customer service this morning when I called to try to get reimbursed for the towing charge. Needless to say, I am cancelling this service and I recommend that anyone considering AARP Roadside assistance, look elsewhere.

Reviewed Sept. 15, 2015

I had a horrible time understanding the dispatcher!!! Horrible and Frustrating. Foreign accent. Very thick. Also, did not put the address down correctly. Very poor communication skills and no concept of abstract thinking other than what was on the script. The actual service was great!

Staff

Reviewed Aug. 21, 2015

On February on about 5th or 6th the weather was very bad. I called customer service because I had a flat tire. They tried to get a tow company and the customer representative said he could not get anybody. He told me if I get the tire fixed they would reimburse me. Well the bill for my tire was $92.32. I sent in the bill - they sent me a letter saying they could not reimburse me. They told me unauthorized service. After the representative told me I would be reimburse It says in the membership material under Dispatch Guarantee "if unable to provide roadside assistance we will reimburse you up to $260.00." Well this charge was only $92.32. Well I'm not a member with them and never will be.

Reviewed Aug. 9, 2015

Was broke down 21 miles from home. Thank god our mom had AARP to get us towed. Yeah right people were foreign-- call us back in 10-15 min. Called them back half an hr later will an hr -- will call back in 15 min. Never called back. Called them in half an hr ---will take an hr still never called us back!!! Anyway waited 3.5 hrs in hot sun with 79 yr old with heart condition. Tow driver said they keep looking for lower prices and they don't pay any extra after 5.30 so not many companies will use them after 5:30 pm! They don't care and are hard to understand. Save the time and misery and get AAA!

Reviewed Aug. 6, 2015

I spent 4 hours the other night waiting for Godot (that would be AARP). I later found out 2 hours were waiting for nothing. The poor English speaker (understood about 30%) had just discarded my call. A third call found a supervisor who decided that something had to be done about it. They could not find me on their map (no cross street or address). The first person just said since they could not locate my car I was out of luck. The second did not do any work to find me. The third referred it to his supervisor, and the fourth decided I was 40 miles from where I really was. I told each one of them what city to call for service and then I could tell them where I was. But that was not good enough, they had to know before they called where I was.

The real kicker was about 10 minutes after I finally was back on my way. I got a robo call asking for my grade of their service (one good thing about them). I replied poorly for all of them, so they referred me to customer service. The gentleman on the line wanted my member number, he could not locate me from my name or the fact they called me not I them. So he wanted me to stop the car (after 4 hours of being stopped) so I could tell him how bad they were. He really wanted to inconvenience me to find how what they did badly. I hung up on him! I will be not renewing. Paragon looks good to me right now.

Reviewed July 29, 2015

This service takes too long to respond. I almost froze to death one night waiting for them to fix flat tire. Someone happen to stop by and got me rolling. Called them twice to my home once for flat tire and once boost. The Servicers do not represent the roadside service well. Nothing to identity them like AAA. They just look like someone off the street with dreadlocks and any kind of clothing. Won't be using this service any more - not professional. Will switch back to AAA. They are more professional looking and I feel safer when I see them arrive with identifying vehicles.

Reviewed July 25, 2015

My car broke down right near the garage that services my car. I was lucky, for it had to be pushed. Two days later the garage told me they could not repair the car and to take it to a dealer. They said they would tow it. I said fine, I would contact AARP motoring. To make a long story short, I was told I could not have them tow it. I think that is what they said, I had a hard time understanding the person, so I hung up and tried again. Same results, could not understand what they were saying other than I could not have the garage tow it. I hung up in a rage. The next day I called again and asked to speak to some in the USA. They told me all I had to do was for the garage to talk to the person. Well it was too late for that the car was already towed. So they told me I could file a complaint and gave me the address. So I did and the complaint was returned no such address. I am trying to find the correct address and resubmit. I probably going to cancel.

Reviewed June 10, 2015

I was previously happy with the service and response AARP until the car I was in broke down in Maine. We live in Massachusetts. I called AARP to arrange for a tow. The representative I spoke with (I think he was in India) told me that he couldn't find anyone and would continue making calls and get back to me. The call never came. After about 40 mins, I called back. They said that they would get back to me, they never did. We ended up calling the police... who in turn called AARP. They were told someone would be there in "100 minutes" (really?). They (AARP) later told the police that it was not going to happen. Nothing they said made any sense. I called to complain and was told the home office would contact me within 14 days... another lie... no one contacted me. The police helped us out that day so all turned out well but NO THANKS to AARP.