3.73/5
  • 1 star
Based on 37 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Aug. 4, 2017

39 Farmers Renters Insurance Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Feb. 28, 2016

They were helpful in picking out the insurance type that best fit my needs. They did a good job of explaining what is covered under the policy. I never had to use the claims process; however, it seemed easy enough to use based upon the explanation I got from the agent. Your experience may be different. They had a replacement cost of insurance option. It worked by reimbursing damaged or stolen items at the value needed to replace the item. Overall I was satisfied with the coverage provided. It was affordable and covered most everything it needed too. The agents were friend and knowledgeable.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2016

Coverage good but they take their sweet ass time. They think that we have the money and had to pay for the hotel for almost a month out of my pocket and didn't even pay me back and the policy supposed to cover everything. Didn't even cover my plasma TV game console which I had receipts for and everything. My car was damage too and didn't even want to cover that since they said the fire was self started. Yeah left a candle on but didn't do it on purpose. Just because the way I look stereotypes damn white people. Just cause I bald and look like a gang members but yet I more raising my son alone and have been since he was born. Wish I could sue their assessment.

Original review: Feb. 11, 2016

Happy with our Renters insurance with Farmers Insurance company and representatives. They are always checking with us about every couple of months to see if we are happy with our coverage or to notify us if there are new ways for us to save or to notify us of any changes. We are always receiving gifts from them as well as birthday and Christmas cards. If we compare and find any lower rates or monthly premiums, then they will look at it and match it. We have had our policy with Farmers for around 10 years and do not have any plans to change anytime soon.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2016

I have had a very good overall experience with Farmers Renters Insurance. First of all their customer service is excellent. They are always very helpful and understanding. Farmers also offers many different options to fit the needs of their clients. Also the price for your policy is very affordable. There was one time I had to fill a claim. The whole experience was overall easy and satisfying. My claims representative was very helpful, understanding, and pleasant to work with. I highly recommend Farmers to all my friends and family. They are an excellent company and I will continue to use them.

Original review: April 1, 2015

I've been with Farmers for 2 years. Don't know what happened to the girl ** that was my agent so been working with the lady that answered their phone ** for the last 7 months. I let them do the automatic pay and my bill was never what I was told it should be. A little over 2 years ago I was buying and selling cars. Every time I bought a car, I called my car insurance agent and would add the car to my policy. When I sold a car - same thing, called my agent had it taken off. Well I want one car taken out of storage and put the other in, not hard you would think. No I have added on the policy 3 more kinds of insurance and towing, towing I had on the one I had been driving but the car was a crap car why the heck would I add uninsured motorist, property insurance and towing which then created many policy changes I got charged for.

I wanted to see how much renters insurance was, the next thing I know they took 690.00 out of my bank for one month. Found out 200 was for renters insurance I signed nothing for that. Called **. She told me when she called back I was 4 months in the good then the next month they took another 300 and something. What the heck then I'm being charged. Then there's a policy move for over 200. I've been living here for over two years and after over 1100 dollars I supposedly have no insurance. I will never do autopay with any body again. There are so many changes and charges that I did not ask for. 9 policy changes in one month 8 in another trying to understand. Farmers bill is as bad and confusing as my electric bill.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Farmers Renters Insurance?

Original review: May 28, 2013

My agent, Lisa **, has failed my fiance and I as loyal customers in every which way possible. I had requested for renters' insurance to be put in our policy in June 2012, but received a quote and told my agent I would call her back to add it after I spoke to my fiance. Well I called her and left 2 messages on her voicemail in August 2012, but she failed to ever get back to me to confirm the renters' insurance. Every month my bill would go up by at least $10, so my assumption was that I was covered for renters and that was the reason behind the monthly amount. Aside from my agent never returning my phone calls, she seemed to always be unorganized and could never figure out what was going on with my policy.

When I mailed her the info she requested (twice), she told me she could not find it but would look for it and would fix the problem if she didn't find the paperwork I mailed her. Very irresponsible if you ask me... but we continued to give her the benefit of the doubt. We then had a fire in our home in November 2012, so I called my insurance to have them help us with our situation. After all, I had left my agent two messages asking her to apply my renters to my policy and since she didn't have an office at the time, she would handle all matters through her voicemails while she worked on the go.

Well it turns out we have no renters' insurance to cover us and help us out while I'm 8 1/2 months pregnant, have a 9-year old to take care of, and nowhere to live as we're weeks away from not having a Christmas... They completely failed to help us out. Our agent completely failed to take responsibility for her actions and not taking care of us as loyal customers. We regret ever becoming insured by this ** company who failed on every aspect to take care of their clients even after mistakes after mistakes were made on their behalf and we excused them... they failed completely. An insurance I would recommend for no one to ever become insured by!

Original review: Nov. 7, 2012

In 2011, we were victims of a break-in, we had a claim filed with State Farm. A few months later, we received a check from State Farm and renewal of our renter's policy. Then a month later, we received a refund of our auto policy that we had paid on a vehicle that we had suspended coverage on. I called and found out that State Farm had cancelled our auto policy 2 months previous without any notice. We were told that we were expected to know when payment was due. So ticked off, we checked around and decided on Farmers. They told us the rates would be high due to State Farm cancelling our policy but at 6 months, it should drop; then after a year, it should drop "quite a bit" as the agent put it.

Six months went by, and rates went up, so did my payment. Their claim was for the payout they had due to a tornado in Joplin, MO. Okay, this has nothing to do with my liability driving. We live in a very rural area. I just got my renewal for the 1-year mark, and my rates increased by 45%! I called the agent yesterday who, of course, is never in the office, and again the excuse was the rates increased. I have never used my ** auto insurance in over 20 years and I am almost 50 years old. They think that I am going to pay $180 a month for two vehicles that are 12 years + old and never had any type of accident or tickets. Part of the renewal documents was a "credit report" piece of ** form letter. We were foreclosed on in 2009, so my credit is shot. We don't use credit at all and haven't since then, no need for it. But Farmers in their infinite money grab has stated they were unable to adjust rates because the address where we live now does not match the credit bureau's address.

Now wait a minute, how does this have anything to do with auto liability? They were fine to take our money the past year without this being a issue. These companies need to be put out of business. Insurance should be an escrow. I'm tired of paying more and more for an undesirable product from companies that can charge whatever they want without any reason for it. Any lawsuits?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2010

This is about unfair premium increase. I have been a Farmers customer for years. I never have filed a claim. I am going through a divorce and moved to a new apartment. In order to receive my mailings, I contacted my agent (Katie ** for Roy Beard), and requested renter's insurance quotes and submitted my new address. The quotes I was given were very high, so I decided not to get the renter's insurance. That same week, I received a bill for $103.92 at my old address. The reason for this charge, I was told, is because now I have a single account and not a combined account (cars/home insurance), and even though I have already paid my bill in full through next January, I suddenly have to pay extra. In addition, they are not using my new address, but still mailing my bills to the old address. I also wanted to keep my new address confidential from my husband. My bill was already paid in full. I have not filed any claims. Is this some type of retaliatory tactic for not having bought the renter's insurance? Is it a penalty for going through a divorce? I feel that this additional premium charge is unfair.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2009

I moved from Las Vegas to Seattle and when I moved to Seattle, I called Farmers numerous times to change the renter's insurance. I was told it would take a while to reflect on the statement. I waited 5 months and I called again and the person I spoke to said no one ever made note of the fact that I moved to Seattle, they still had it under the Vegas address, every record.

I asked them to add my husband to the policy when I moved to Seattle. A year goes by and I have a relative visiting from Europe. I called them to ask about the policy on international driver's referring to the policy number which should have both my husband and I on it. They said they only had me as a driver. I asked, "so my husband is nowhere in this policy?" Yep, for a year and a half he was driving the car and his name wasn't on the policy. Go Farmers!

We finally came to a point where we wanted to cancel. I called about cancellation and this said this is for you and Justin right? Who the hell is Justin, because my husband’s name sure as hell isn't Justin? Guess what?! They had it as Justin all this time. His name is Jack. Justin from Jack, how in the hell?! One can only imagine what they were on. Farmers’ agents are completely inept and indolent.

My husband emailed them with his name on several occasions, wouldn't they have though. Gee, who is Jack? It's listed as Justin here. Nope, guess that didn't raise any red flags with them -DOH! We scanned and sent them our licenses; shouldn't that have the correct spelling on it?! I would rather each ** and die than ever have to go with them again. If life meant no insurance or Farmers, I'd definitely pick no insurance. Please cancel your Farmers insurance, it is perhaps the best decision you can make today. Consequences: wasted my money.

Farmers Renters Insurance Company Information