Choice Home Warranty vs. AHW Home Warranty
What is the difference between Choice Home Warranty and AHW Home Warranty?
Choosing a home warranty company is not an easy task. We took two of the top options, Choice Home Warranty and AHW Home Warranty, and put them head-to-head in this article. We reviewed things like average customer ratings, prices and coverage levels to help give readers a better understanding of the similarities and differences between the two companies.
|Monthly premium cost||$46.83 to $54.75||$48 to $58|
|Average cost for combo plan||$54.75 (Total plan)||$58|
|Annual premium cost||$532 to $627 (for 13 months)||$554 to $654|
|Service call fee||$85||$75|
|Discounts available||Discounts for paying annually; free 13th month||$75 discount offered at signup|
|$46.83 to $54.75||$54.75 (Total plan)||$532 to $627 (for 13 months)||$85||Discounts for paying annually; free 13th month|
|$48 to $58||$58||$554 to $654||$75||$75 discount offered at signup|
|Plans available||Basic, Total||Appliance, System, Combo|
|Combo plan covered items||16||23|
|Service recall period||30 days for labor; 90 days for parts||90 days on parts; 30 days on labor|
|Availability||48 states||Most states|
|Basic, Total||8||8||16||30 days for labor; 90 days for parts||48 states|
|Appliance, System, Combo||8||8||23||90 days on parts; 30 days on labor||Most states|
|Built-in food centers||—||—|
|Instant hot/cold water dispensers||—||In-refrigerator ice maker covered|
|Ranges, ovens and cooktops|
|—||In-refrigerator ice maker covered||—||—|
|Central vacuums||Add-on||Add-on coverage|
|Garage door openers|
|Roof leak repairs||Add-on||Add-on|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||4.0||1.1|
|Verified customer reviews||Read reviews||Read reviews|
All prices are based on a quote for a house of less than 5,000 square feet in Austin, Texas. All information is accurate as of publishing.
Choice Home Warranty
Choice Home Warranty is a New Jersey-based home warranty company offering plans in every state except California and Washington. Customers can choose between its two plans — Basic and Total — which cover both appliances and systems and include an $85 service call fee. Homeowners also have the ability to add additional coverage to their plan for things like a pool or a second refrigerator. Plans include a 30-day waiting period for service, unless you already have coverage from another carrier. Customers can make a claim online or by phone 24/7. CHW has been in business over 13 years and has covered more than 1 million homes in the U.S.
Choice Home Warranty plans
- Basic: The Basic Plan starts around $47 a month, or $532 per year. It covers the following:
- Heating system
- Electrical system
- Plumbing system
- Plumbing stoppage
- Water heater
- Whirlpool bathtub
- Oven, range and stove
- Built-in microwave
- Garbage disposal
- Garage door opener
- Ceiling and exhaust fans
- Total: Choice Home Warranty’s more comprehensive Total Plan averages about $55 per month. It covers everything in the Basic Plan, plus:
- Air conditioning system
- Extra coverage: Homeowners can add coverage for a pool/spa, central vacuum, well pump, sump pump, extra refrigerator, stand-alone freezer, limited roof leak, septic system and septic tank pumping.
What Choice Home Warranty customers say
In reviews, Choice Home Warranty customers applaud the company’s dedication to customer service. Customers report feeling taken care of and satisfied with the overall efficiency and professionalism of the claims process. Many use the words “friendly” and “knowledgeable” to describe CHW’s customer service team. Some reviewers mention long wait times for service or confusing coverage for specific equipment parts.
AHW Home Warranty
AHW Home Warranty, formerly Amazon Home Warranty, offers three plans: System, Appliance and Combo, which have a $75 service call fee. Homeowners also can choose from nearly two dozen add-on coverages. There is a 30-day waiting period unless you have proof of existing coverage. Homeowners can make claims by phone 24/7. AHW Home Warranty is based in Ohio and has plans available in most states.
AHW Home Warranty plans
- System Plan: The System Plan costs about $554 per year, or $48 per month. It covers:
- Central air conditioning system (two units)
- Central heating systems
- Plumbing (including stoppages)
- Electrical system
- Hot water heater
- Jetted bathtubs
- Garage door openers
- Appliance Plan: The Appliance Plan has a similar price to the System Plan. Homeowners get coverage for:
- Refrigerator (with ice maker)
- Stand-alone freezer
- Trash compactor
- Microwave ovens
- Combo Plan: The Combo Plan offers the best value, according to AHW. The average price is about $58 per month, or $654 per year. The Combo Plan covers everything in the System and Appliance plans, plus:
- Instant hot water dispenser
- Garbage disposal
- Attic fan
- Ceiling fan
- Bathroom exhaust fan
- Kitchen fan/exhaust hood
- Extra coverage: You can add coverage for a pool and spa, lawn sprinkler system, septic system, septic tank pumping, whole house humidifier, sump pump, well pump, limited roof leak, central vacuum, water softener and second appliances and systems.
What AHW Home Warranty customers say
Overall, AHW Home Warranty reviews tend to be more negative than positive. However, recent reviews are favorable, with customers using words like “professional” and “reliable” to describe their experiences with the company. The company’s 1-star reviews, which outnumber 5-star reviews by a large margin, mention poor customer service, denied claims and decisions to cancel coverage.
Bottom line: Choice Home Warranty or Amazon Home Warranty?
Choice Home Warranty and AHW Home Warranty offer home warranties for similar prices, but their coverages aren’t the same: CHW covers both appliances and systems in both its plans, while AHW has appliances-only, systems-only and combination plans. CHW also has a slightly higher service call fee than AHW. But the biggest difference between the two providers is their reviews: On ConsumerAffairs, customers leave significantly better reviews for Choice Home Warranty than AHW Home Warranty.
- Choice Home Warranty is best for homeowners who want to cover both systems and appliances and buy from a company with solid customer reviews.
- AHW Home Warranty is best for customers who only want to cover systems or appliances and don’t mind a history of poor reviews.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.