American Home Shield vs. Super Home Inc.
Find Home Warranties, Service Plans near you
What is the difference between American Home Shield and Super Home Inc.?
Finding the differences between home warranty companies to decide which is best for you can be difficult. To compare American Home Shield and Super Home Inc. side by side, we looked at premiums costs, service call fees, items covered, coverage terms and available discounts. We break down the plans for you to help narrow down your decision.
|Monthly premium cost||$29.99 to $69.99||$47 to $107|
|Average cost for combo plan||$60||$72 (Signature plan)|
|Annual premium cost||$359.88 to $839.88||$529 to $1,249|
|Service call fee||$75, $100 or $125||$75|
|Discounts available||Not specified||Discount for paying annually|
|$29.99 to $69.99||$60||$359.88 to $839.88||$75, $100 or $125||Not specified|
|$47 to $107||$72 (Signature plan)||$529 to $1,249||$75||Discount for paying annually|
|Plans available||ShieldSilver, ShieldGold, Shield Platinum||Secure, Signature, Lux|
|Combo plan covered items||18||17|
|Service recall period||30 days||90 days on parts; 30 days on labor|
|Availability||47 states||5 states|
|ShieldSilver, ShieldGold, Shield Platinum||9||9||18||30 days||47 states|
|Secure, Signature, Lux||8||9||17||90 days on parts; 30 days on labor||5 states|
|Built-in food centers||—||—|
|Instant hot/cold water dispensers||—|
|Ranges, ovens and cooktops|
|Garage door openers|
|Roof leak repairs||—||—|
Reputation on ConsumerAffairs
|Overall star rating||4.4||3.9|
|Verified customer reviews||Read reviews||Read reviews|
All information accurate as of publishing date.
American Home Shield
American Home Shield is a direct provider of home warranty plans. The company offers three base plans with a multitude of add-ons. Add-on coverage options include electronics, pools and spas, guest units, septic pump and well pump. Roof leak repair coverage is available in select states.
American Home Shield sends qualified contractors to your home for repairs. When you are an American Home Shield customer, you get 50% off air conditioning and furnace filters delivered directly to you. You can pay monthly with no financing charges and cancel at any time with a prorated refund. There are no limits to the number of covered repairs, but a dollar amount cap might apply.
American Home Shield plans
- ShieldSilver: This is the basic plan from American Home Shield, protecting parts of 14 major home systems. It covers heating and cooling systems and ductwork; electrical systems (including DC wiring and built-in exhaust fans); and plumbing systems (including leaks and toilets). Water heaters, garage door openers, door bells, ceiling fans and re-keying are also covered.
- ShieldGold: This plan builds on the ShieldSilver plan, with additional coverage of up to $3,000 for nine appliances, including refrigerators, clothes washers and dryers, ranges/ovens/cooktops, dishwashers, built-in microwaves, garbage disposals and instant hot/cold water dispensers.
- ShieldPlatinum: ShieldPlatinum is the most comprehensive plan, with additional coverage of up to $1,000 for duct, plenum, electrical and plumbing modifications and/or correction of code violations. This plan also includes roof leak repair up to $1,500. Appliance coverage is doubled to $6,000 per covered item. Refrigerant costs for covered air conditioning or heating units are also covered. It comes with a free HVAC tuneup.
What American Home Shield customers say
American Home Shield receives mostly positive feedback from verified customers on ConsumerAffairs. Reviewers say the claims process is easy to use, service is fast and contractors are helpful and resolve issues. While we see many positive comments from customers, there are also reviews from customers who have issues, mostly related to communication and timing.
Super Home Inc.
Super Home Inc is a subscription service that provides care and repairs for your home. Its concierge service manages logistics for your home service needs, including finding and scheduling a service person to take care of home repair or maintenance. Super evaluates and selects top service providers in your area.
The company repairs or replaces covered appliances and systems when they break down, and you can pay your membership fee monthly or annually. Super has a unique Inspection Protection program that checks your home inspection report during the home purchasing process to protect against preexisting conditions.
The company also has add-on coverage for smart-home devices that's hard to find elsewhere. When you subscribe, the app sends reminders for maintenance throughout the year.
Super Home Inc. plans
- Secure: Secure starts at $64 monthly or $723 annually. Covered appliances include dishwasher, range/oven/cooktop, built-in microwave, garbage disposal, trash compactor, range exhaust fan, kitchen refrigerator and clothes washer and dryer. Covered systems include air conditioning, heating and heat pump, ductwork, interior plumbing, water heater, interior electrical, ceiling fans, central vacuum and garage door opener. Optional coverage includes smart-home devices, enhanced plumbing, additional refrigeration units, built-in pool/spa, water softener, guest house, septic system, well pump and sprinkler system.
- Signature: Signature starts at $75 monthly or $869 annually. It includes everything in the Secure plan, plus the “It’s Covered” upgrade, which covers registers and grills in the heating system, indoor plumbing components, water heater, enhanced stoppage, smoke detectors, knobs and dials on the range or stove, dishwasher lining, microwaves, garage door springs and remote transmitters, permits and code upgrades, refrigerant disposal, equipment disposal and structural modifications when required for replacement equipment.
- Lux: Lux starts at $119 monthly or $1,399 annually. It includes everything in the Secure and Signature plans, plus coverage for smart-home devices, enhanced plumbing, warming and cooling drawers, gas fireplace, outdoor gas fire pits and landscape lighting. Coverage limits are higher with this plan, and it includes brand-for-brand appliance replacement.
What Super Home Inc. customers say
Super Home receives positive feedback for its easy and effective scheduling system during the claims process. Customers say they get their money’s worth on the policy and that the service is good for those who are not handy themselves. Some negative comments mention denials of claims and issues with contractors and customer service hold times.
Bottom line: American Home Shield or Super Home Inc.?
American Home Shield is a traditional provider of home warranty contracts that cover major home systems. Super Home Inc. functions a bit differently, with a subscription service that integrates home warranty coverage with home maintenance. Super Home Inc. sends maintenance reminders throughout the year, and members can accumulate rewards points that cover the cost of these types of services, which aren’t covered by warranty. American Home Shield does have add-on coverage — for roof leaks, for instance — that's hard to find from other providers.
- American Home Shield is best for customers looking for an affordable basic home warranty.
- Super Home Inc.is best for customers who need comprehensive coverage with plenty of upgrade options.
You’re signed up
We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.