2. Finance
  3. Prepaid Cards
Accredited Partner

Universe Silver

Universe Silver is a banking and debit solution provided by the Central Bank of Kansas City. Membership is currently limited-access and only available to select customers. Accounts can be reloaded at one of many deposit locations across the country, and members can take advantage of no-fee cash withdrawals within its ATM network. Universe Silver accounts come with 24/7 account access and customer support, bill pay options and direct deposit with early funding.

BOTTOM LINE

Universe Silver is a limited-access deposit account backed by the Central Bank of Kansas City. It offers many banking features, such as Visa debit cards, ATM access, cash deposits, bill pay, direct deposit and more.

PROS

• 100,000+ deposit locations
  • Early direct deposit
  • No-fee ATM network
  • 24/7 customer service

CONS

• Extra fees for deposits
  • Limited availability

How does Universe Silver work?

Universe Silver is a secure banking solution for those who don’t need all the bells and whistles of a larger bank. Customers add funds to their account through Green Dot’s Reload@theRegister service, which offers more than 100,000 cash deposit locations across the United States.

Reloading the account typically has a fee of up to $4.95 and a wait time of around 10 minutes before the funds are available. Universe Silver’s secured debit cards can be used anywhere Visa is accepted, and the card's design can be customized from the Universe Silver website's template gallery.

These deposit accounts are currently only available to select customers, but you can sign up for alerts when the service fully launches to the public. Universe Silver cards are also available at select TitleMax locations.

Universe Silver fees

Universe Silver charges a few different fees to service your account. To deposit funds into your account, you’ll be charged up to $4.95. If you have optional overdraft protection, you pay a fee of $15 for each transaction that overdraws your account, but account holders have the opportunity to return the account to a $0 balance by the end of the day.

The overdraft fee can be charged up to four times monthly. For more information on the fees associated with an account, cardholders should consult their deposit account agreement.

Universe Silver FAQ

What bank is Universe Silver?
Universe Silver accounts and debit cards are issued by the Central Bank of Kansas City. Deposit accounts through Universe Silver have access to thousands of deposit and ATM locations throughout the country.
Is Universe Silver safe?
Universe Silver is a safe account backed by an established bank. The company issues secured Visa debit cards. Its accounts include continuous fraud monitoring to keep your money safe.
Who owns Universe Silver?
Universe Silver is a trademark of TitleMax. These accounts are issued by the Central Bank of Kansas City.

Is Universe Silver good?

Universe Silver is a good option for those who need simplified banking solutions. It’s easy to withdraw and deposit cash, though you may pay fees for deposits or out-of-network ATM withdrawals. Customer support and online access are available 24/7, and the service offers many useful features like bill pay, direct deposit and fraud monitoring. These accounts are limited access for now, but you can sign up to receive an alert when Universe Silver accounts are available to the public.

Universe Silver Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Universe Silver?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Universe Silver?

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

I noticed on my statement one day that there was a $1,300 charge. A couple days later went back to see my statement the charge was gone and there was a $1,100 charge and wondering for what call the nav. They said I stayed in the hotel for $1,140 so I disputed the charge. They did an investigation and came up with it was my charge Champs return I have to. "Do you have my signature on this place cuz yes I did stay in a hotel and yes I did use my card."

I came up with the receipt for my stay which was nowhere near $1,140. Disputed their charge again. They said that they wouldn't overturn my charge that I made that charge so I came up with the person that did make that charge. They still won't return my money. They owe me $2,300 out of my account for something that I did pay for which was a hundred and warning or something. It's taking over 2 months. They haven't done any investigation so they say their investigators. I'd be real careful putting my money in their care. I wouldn't use it to Title Max debit card for anything.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

Charged me for with drawing money from an ATM that’s on their app, which supposed to be free? Put a daily limit on amount I can withdraw from daily. Called customer service to find out where I can withdraw all of my money, so I wouldn’t be taxed so much, instructed me to go to Walmart. Walmart employee said they can not withdraw my money. I have to go to a bank. Called customer service and all they kept saying was, "Sorry for your inconvenience but you only have one option. To go to the bank when it opens."

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

Deposit agreement Clearly say that I receive a payment or direct deposit from the same payers that I qualify for early release.. I received two payments from my treasury within 24 to 48 hours and they held the first deposit for 6 days. I received the second deposit on the sixth day. Today released the first deposit and now they're holding the second deposit for 3 days. Where is the early release and they coming from the same payers which is a violation of the agreement. This has caused me to have my power turned out and get a late notice for my rent and I'm on a fixed income and I can't afford these extra charges. But due to their refusal to honor their deposit agreement this has put me in a more difficult financial situation and I'm on a fixed income.

Universe Silver response
    Hey Walter,

Thank you for your feedback! We see that your issues were addressed through another channel and a resolution has been implemented. If you require any additional clarity, please don't hesitate to reach out. We appreciate your business!

Universe Silver Company Information