2. Finance
  3. Prepaid Cards

3.3/5 (24 ratings)

About Universe Silver

Universe Silver is a banking and debit solution provided by the Central Bank of Kansas City. Membership is currently limited-access and only available to select customers. Accounts can be reloaded at one of many deposit locations across the country, and members can take advantage of no-fee cash withdrawals within its ATM network. Universe Silver accounts come with 24/7 account access and customer support, bill pay options and direct deposit with early funding.

Pros

• 100,000+ deposit locations
  • Early direct deposit
  • No-fee ATM network
  • 24/7 customer service

Cons

• Extra fees for deposits
  • Limited availability

Bottom Line

Universe Silver is a limited-access deposit account backed by the Central Bank of Kansas City. It offers many banking features, such as Visa debit cards, ATM access, cash deposits, bill pay, direct deposit and more.

How does Universe Silver work?

Universe Silver is a secure banking solution for those who don’t need all the bells and whistles of a larger bank. Customers add funds to their account through Green Dot’s Reload@theRegister service, which offers more than 100,000 cash deposit locations across the United States.

Reloading the account typically has a fee of up to $4.95 and a wait time of around 10 minutes before the funds are available. Universe Silver’s secured debit cards can be used anywhere Visa is accepted, and the card's design can be customized from the Universe Silver website's template gallery.

These deposit accounts are currently only available to select customers, but you can sign up for alerts when the service fully launches to the public. Universe Silver cards are also available at select TitleMax locations.

Universe Silver fees

Universe Silver charges a few different fees to service your account. To deposit funds into your account, you’ll be charged up to $4.95. If you have optional overdraft protection, you pay a fee of $15 for each transaction that overdraws your account, but account holders have the opportunity to return the account to a $0 balance by the end of the day.

The overdraft fee can be charged up to four times monthly. For more information on the fees associated with an account, cardholders should consult their deposit account agreement.

Universe Silver FAQ

What bank is Universe Silver?
Universe Silver accounts and debit cards are issued by the Central Bank of Kansas City. Deposit accounts through Universe Silver have access to thousands of deposit and ATM locations throughout the country.
Is Universe Silver safe?
Universe Silver is a safe account backed by an established bank. The company issues secured Visa debit cards. Its accounts include continuous fraud monitoring to keep your money safe.
Who owns Universe Silver?
Universe Silver is a trademark of TitleMax. These accounts are issued by the Central Bank of Kansas City.

Is Universe Silver good?

Universe Silver is a good option for those who need simplified banking solutions. It’s easy to withdraw and deposit cash, though you may pay fees for deposits or out-of-network ATM withdrawals. Customer support and online access are available 24/7, and the service offers many useful features like bill pay, direct deposit and fraud monitoring. These accounts are limited access for now, but you can sign up to receive an alert when Universe Silver accounts are available to the public.

Universe Silver Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Universe Silver?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Universe Silver?

Original review: March 16, 2021

I went through TitleMax a long time ago and got a $300 loan. It helped us get a car that we needed to get legal at that time. The payments were cheap. Also, I had already dealt with the people I worked with through having a title loan itself. So, for them to transition over to have a personal loan was pretty cool because a lot of places wouldn't do that. I've always done work with the office in Desloge and so far, every customer service person I have ever dealt with is very good at explaining what's going on.

The first day I got that loan was the first day anyone used the loan for anybody. So, it was a learning process for all of us. So we sat there and we just joked around while the rep was trying to figure out what we were supposed to do. So there was a lot of patience and they admitted that there was something on their end that they weren't sure what to do. I've worked with them for years for the car title loan, so I've already had a relationship with them. Even though they had different other employees throughout the years, the same two people seem to be more consistent that had been there for quite a few years.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 12, 2021

The Universe Silver card is the best method of TitleMax paying me. I only use the card to put the funds on and transfer them back to my bank account. I go to the bank, give them the information, and they transfer the funds off of my card. It does what it does.

Universe Silver response

Thanks for the feedback, Kenneth. Please let us know if we can help you with anything else.

Original review: March 8, 2021

It was awesome when I went in there and did the application setup process. They explained and took care of everything. They also answered everything I needed to know in the store. It helps to have Universe Silver. I had a good credit score already when I went in there, so it allotted me a good bit. It’s good to have it on there if you need it and making payments on time. I like it. I’ve recommended them to four people, and two people have been there.

Universe Silver response

Joseph, thank you so much for your feedback. If you need any additional assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Original review: March 7, 2021

My interaction with the reps was good. It was a nice, easy process. I've dealt with them before, so it was easy. I've used Universe Silver two times since I've had it and it's easy. There's not a lot of technology behind it.

Universe Silver response

Shamika, thanks for your feedback. Let us know if we can help you in any way.

Original review: March 6, 2021

The fact that I know exactly how much that I have from Universe Silver helps me budget better and when I had to contact them, their reps were good and they helped out a lot.

Universe Silver response

That's great to hear, Brian! Thank you for reaching out about your experience. Let us know if we can help in any way.

Original review: May 21, 2021

This is the Email I wrote to Universe Silver Visa Debit Card from TitleMax. I'd previously called them six times before writing this Early this morning. I'm sorry for having to contact y'all here but I need that money for my mom's medical supplies and they were already supposed to have did it for me an dispute I mean. ((( I just noticed 22 days ago that way all of my money was gone off my card . So I called in several times but no one updated my account or done a dispute on every charge since title max loaded my card in the amount of $1950 and told them I needed to stop transactions but y'all haven't done. Nothing. So I'm going to try it this way by feedback.

Every charge on my account for my silver card wasn't me and I gave no one the authority to use my phone. And how did they get my pin too.. Because I do not hang with no one these days but me and my kids. It was stolen when I went to a restaurant in town to eat and I guess when I was checking my pockets it fell to on the floor. Thing is I called as soon as I realized it and y'all did nothing. I was saving that money that's why I never spent it cause I needed it for my rent and medical supplies for my mom. She's bedridden. So I'm asking nicely get this resolved asap.. Or I'm not being mean but I'll be forced to get legal advice cause I had nothing to do with it. My Name is Justin L **. My DOB: **. Email: **. Cell phone number is **))).

Universe Silver response

Thank you for contacting us! Please call 1-800-483-6634 to report unauthorized activity on your Universe Silver Deposit account so that we can begin the investigative process (your identifying information was hidden when delivered to us). We look forward to assisting you in this matter as soon as we receive your call.

Original review: April 29, 2021

The lady that did my application was really nice and helpful. She was really enjoyable. The process took about 30 minutes.

Original review: April 16, 2021

Everything is good about the Universe Silver card. I used it to make a payment and it wasn’t difficult.

Original review: April 15, 2021

Universe Silver loads the money up the same day. It impacted my life because I really needed the car at the time, and they came through. It was spectacular. I used it for car loans. If you need cash fast, they help you out ASAP.

Original review: April 14, 2021

I borrowed $600 but I didn’t know that I was gonna be charged so much to borrow a little bit of money on that title. I didn't know that I was gonna get trapped into paying that much damn interest. Once you had been reeled in, then you gotta pay for it. It’s on your credit report. I'm disappointed with the whole nine yards. So as soon as I pay that title off, I'm not gonna mess with this company ever again. I plan to make a payment on Friday, and I have it down about $300.

Original review: March 30, 2021

So far, everything's been convenient and great with Universe Silver.

Universe Silver response

Hi, Deborah! Thank you for your feedback. Please let us know if we can be of any assistance.

Original review: March 26, 2021

I now have more money since using Universe Silver. Having money on a card is a good thing. Being able to get a cash advance if you need it was good.

Universe Silver response

Thank you so much for your feedback, Kenneth!

Original review: March 20, 2021

I used Universe Silver for the money I borrowed on a personal loan. They're not bad.

Original review: March 17, 2021

I was taking out a loan and I was given the money on the Universe Silver card. I asked where I was gonna use the card to get money off and I was told that I could go to some bank and get all the money. I went to the ATM and the card charged me. But I couldn't withdraw money off of it. I don't have the card anymore. It was too difficult to use so I got all the money off of it and I shredded it. I attempted to inquire online about using the card and I couldn't find any answers.

Universe Silver response

Hi, Gail. You can withdraw funds fee-free at any Visa Plus Alliance ATM or download our app to view our ATM locator to easily find an in-network ATM near you! You can also call 1-800-483-6634 to speak with a representative regarding any questions on the account.

Original review: March 15, 2021

After I paid the loan off, I had to use the same Universe Silver card in order to re-do it a year later. Then, it took money off my card that I got for my title again because I never got a direct deposit on there. I did not like that. I needed that money. That was why I filed my car title. I understand if some people would actually use the card for their convenience of direct deposit. But I already have a bank so I don't need it.

Original review: March 14, 2021

I don't like Universe Silver. I can’t transfer money from that card to my bank account directly and I can only withdraw $300 at a time. It's just loaded up when I receive the loan with TitleMax. All I do is just wait for the next day to withdraw the next money. When I try to pay bills with it online, it says, "I can't find that bill."

Universe Silver response

Hi Mona. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you need some additional assistance, please call 1-800-483-6634 to speak with a representative to work through any issues!

Original review: March 13, 2021

My biggest problem was that I couldn't just have my loan linked through my bank card so I wouldn't have to pay ATM fees. With Universe Silver, everywhere you go, it wanted to charge you. I don't believe you should have to use a card in this world and be charged anything, let alone a monthly fee for anybody. So when you pay the loan back, you've paid back 10 times more than what you've borrowed. We don't use Universe Silver anymore. Any other time I've had to do a title loan with TitleMax, it has been through cash. It's not really an issue to get it.

Universe Silver response

Dustin, we apologize for any misunderstanding. The fees associated with the account are detailed in the Deposit Account Agreement and Fee Schedule you received with your temporary card. Certain Universe Silver Account fees are lower with qualifying direct deposit of $500 or more every 35 days. If you have any questions, feel free to call us at 1-800-483-6634.

Original review: March 11, 2021

Universe Silver is a good card to use. We used it for a title pawn and it was an easy way to get everything done. Also, we could just quickly pay bills instead of trying to deposit it into another account.

Universe Silver response

Hi, Janet. Thank you for your feedback. Please let us know if we can assist you with anything further.

Original review: March 10, 2021

I just used Universe Silver to retrieve the money from it. It's a little crazy because they charge to get it and then they charge a monthly fee on it. A one-time fee would be okay. But a monthly fee and the fee every time you use it, it gets expensive.

Universe Silver response

Alfredo, we apologize for any misunderstanding. The fees associated with the account are detailed in the Deposit Account Agreement and Fee Schedule you received with your temporary card. Certain Universe Silver Account fees are lower with qualifying direct deposit of $500 or more every 35 days. If you have any questions, feel free to call us at 1-800-483-6634.

Original review: March 9, 2021

With Universe Silver, it's easy with the app so I can check my balance.

Universe Silver response

Hey Christina! Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. We appreciate your business.

Original review: March 5, 2021

I signed up with Universe Silver and it was pretty easy. I had a great experience because they showed everything and every little detail, and I like that.

Universe Silver response

Thank you so much for your feedback, Jalicia.

Original review: Nov. 1, 2020

I noticed on my statement one day that there was a $1,300 charge. A couple days later went back to see my statement the charge was gone and there was a $1,100 charge and wondering for what call the nav. They said I stayed in the hotel for $1,140 so I disputed the charge. They did an investigation and came up with it was my charge Champs return I have to. "Do you have my signature on this place cuz yes I did stay in a hotel and yes I did use my card."

I came up with the receipt for my stay which was nowhere near $1,140. Disputed their charge again. They said that they wouldn't overturn my charge that I made that charge so I came up with the person that did make that charge. They still won't return my money. They owe me $2,300 out of my account for something that I did pay for which was a hundred and warning or something. It's taking over 2 months. They haven't done any investigation so they say their investigators. I'd be real careful putting my money in their care. I wouldn't use it to Title Max debit card for anything.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2020

Charged me for with drawing money from an ATM that’s on their app, which supposed to be free? Put a daily limit on amount I can withdraw from daily. Called customer service to find out where I can withdraw all of my money, so I wouldn’t be taxed so much, instructed me to go to Walmart. Walmart employee said they can not withdraw my money. I have to go to a bank. Called customer service and all they kept saying was, "Sorry for your inconvenience but you only have one option. To go to the bank when it opens."

Original review: Sept. 2, 2020

Deposit agreement Clearly say that I receive a payment or direct deposit from the same payers that I qualify for early release.. I received two payments from my treasury within 24 to 48 hours and they held the first deposit for 6 days. I received the second deposit on the sixth day. Today released the first deposit and now they're holding the second deposit for 3 days. Where is the early release and they coming from the same payers which is a violation of the agreement. This has caused me to have my power turned out and get a late notice for my rent and I'm on a fixed income and I can't afford these extra charges. But due to their refusal to honor their deposit agreement this has put me in a more difficult financial situation and I'm on a fixed income.

Hey Walter,

Thank you for your feedback! We see that your issues were addressed through another channel and a resolution has been implemented. If you require any additional clarity, please don't hesitate to reach out. We appreciate your business!

Universe Silver Company Information