3.6/5 (33 ratings)

About Universe Silver

Universe Silver is a banking and debit solution created by TitleMax and backed by the Central Bank of Kansas City. Accounts can be reloaded at one of many deposit locations across the country, and members can take advantage of no-fee cash withdrawals within its ATM network. Universe Silver accounts come with 24/7 account access and customer support, bill pay options and direct deposit with early funding.

Pros

• 100,000+ deposit locations
  • Early direct deposit
  • No-fee ATM network
  • 24/7 customer service

Cons

• Extra fees for deposits
  • Limited availability

Bottom Line

Universe Silver is a deposit account backed by the Central Bank of Kansas City. It offers many banking features, such as Visa debit cards, ATM access, cash deposits, bill pay, direct deposit and more.

How does Universe Silver work?

Universe Silver is TitleMax’s secure banking solution for those who don’t need all the bells and whistles of a larger bank. Customers add funds to their account through Green Dot’s Reload@theRegister service, which offers more than 100,000 cash deposit locations across the United States.

Reloading the account typically has a fee of up to $4.95 and a wait time of around 10 minutes before the funds are available. Universe Silver’s secured debit cards can be used anywhere Visa is accepted.

TitleMax has several benefits available, but these benefits are only promised to account holders who receive at least one recurring deposit of more than $500 every 35 days. These include:

• A card gallery image that can be used to customize your card
  • A “freeze card” feature that locks your card if it is lost or stolen
  • No bank teller withdrawal fees

Universe Silver cards are available at select TitleMax locations.

Universe Silver fees

Universe Silver charges a few different fees to service your account. To deposit funds into your account, you’ll be charged up to $4.95.

If you have optional overdraft protection, which is available to Direct Deposit Plus account holders with at least one recurring deposit of at least $500 every 35 days, you pay a fee of $15 for each transaction that overdraws your account.

You have 24 hours to bring the account out of the negative, and the overdraft fee can be charged up to four times monthly. For more information on the fees associated with an account, cardholders should consult their deposit account agreement.

Direct Deposit Plus accounts have no monthly account fee.

Universe Silver FAQ

What bank is Universe Silver?
Universe Silver accounts and debit cards are issued by the Central Bank of Kansas City. Deposit accounts through Universe Silver have access to thousands of deposit and ATM locations throughout the country.
Is Universe Silver safe?
Universe Silver is a safe account backed by an established bank. The company issues secured Visa debit cards. Its accounts include continuous fraud monitoring to keep your money safe.
Who owns Universe Silver?
Universe Silver is a trademark of TitleMax. These accounts are issued by the Central Bank of Kansas City.

Is Universe Silver good?

Universe Silver is a good option for those who need simplified banking solutions. It’s easy to withdraw and deposit cash, though you may pay fees for deposits or out-of-network ATM withdrawals. Customer support and online access are available 24/7, and the service offers many useful features like bill pay, direct deposit and fraud monitoring.

Universe Silver Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Universe Silver?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Universe Silver?

Original review: May 10, 2022

I sold a car, and I couldn't cash the check that I got. I didn't feel like going to my bank and just stopped at a cashing store and cashed the check there. It was cool that I got a card instantly in there, and it was pretty easy to set up.

Get buying tips about Prepaid Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2022

I’ve been able to keep up with things better as far as what's left in the account using my Universal Silver card. I go to the store and to the place and pay bills. In terms of ATM withdrawals, there is a $2 fee, which isn't bad.

Universe Silver response

Thanks, Donald! Let us know if we can help with anything.

Original review: March 18, 2022

Universal Silver is a good company. I like it. The reps are very helpful and professional. I got a loan from TitleMax. And I just kept it for the direct deposit. But the experience is very excellent. The only thing that I don't like is the deposit. You don't do it in the morning. You do it in the evening, like 5 o'clock. Other than that, I've been able to purchase stuff online and pay bills. But some places don't take my card, like Pizza Hut. They don't take my card for the DoorDash. Chili's does.

Universe Silver response

Hi Tara! Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate it!

Original review: Jan. 29, 2022

I only used Universe Silver for a short amount of time to make purchases at the store but that time that I used it, it was cool. It's the same thing as having a bank but I wouldn't have to go to the bank to check transactions or to check on any type of withdrawals or balances.

Universe Silver response

Thanks, Ruben! Let us know if you need anything.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2021

Most of the time, my transactions go pretty smoothly. But most ATMs that aren’t supported by Universe Silver. They usually take about $5 out. Also, there were a few times I wasn’t able to use my Universe Silver card to make a purchase. I wasn’t able to use it to pay my AT&T bill.

Universe Silver response

We appreciate your feedback, Tyler!

Original review: May 10, 2022

Man I been waiting on my credit for 4 weeks now. The agent that I spoke to this morning hung up on me and refused to give me any information. This is so unprofessional and I still haven’t receive any update on my claim.

Original review: May 9, 2022

When I tried to make a purchase on February 3, 2022, it was declined. The fact that I had over four thousand dollars in my account indicated something was not right. My account balance was $1.86 when I checked it. Reviewing the recent activity, I found several unauthorized charges. I received a provisional credit on Friday, February 18, 2022, as a result of my dispute. There were a total of $4303.79 in charges. I had been under the impression that everything was resolved until Thursday, April 28, 2022, when I attempted to leave a parking garage and my card was declined. When I checked my account balance, I found that there was a negative $2,298.18.

The provisional credit was reversed nine weeks or sixty days, or two months and ten days after the provisional credit was granted. The investigation was supposed to take 30 days. Additionally, I was told by the "investigation department" that the case was closed on Thursday, April 21, 2022, yet one week later, on Thursday, April 28, 2022, my funds were taken from my account. Customer service representatives tell me different stories, give me the runaround, or hang up on me. I was informed by one of the representatives that they are physically located in the Philippines, where the charges were made. They provided feedback on one charge out of 37 I reported. I faxed over the rebuttal info they requested on 4/30/22 but can't get a straight answer if it has or hasn't been received.

Original review: May 6, 2022

My name is Jacqueline ** and I have been a TitleMax customer dated as June 2020. During the peak of the pandemic I as many Americans devastated by covid-19 Title max was there to help me when I needed it the most. Gabby and Ruben have been awesome and easy to work with and like I said to each of them they are doing their job and with getting back on my feet. It's been a struggle and the both of them have helped me out of the fire. So, I made use of the Universe Silver account in which is connected to my title max loan and how I was funded and made good use of the convince of the deposit account.

Back 2 months ago I had a direct deposit that would be deposited and I contacted universe silver customer service. I was in shock with the service and how Americans have little or no control of this deposit account. First call was an agent that was without knowledge of what my deposit limits were and misinformed me of what she had no idea what is in the deposit account agreement. This woman talked to me in a manner that was unprofessional and kept repeating the same information to me over and over. I called and talked to five different customer service agents. Their information was different every time.

So, what gets me the deposit account agreement says that the deposit limit is 15,000.00 and not one of the customer service agents could confirm that information. Each call I asked to speak to a manager and was informed there wouldn't be a manager available until Monday. I waited all weekend and when Monday came, I called again and when I finally got to talk to a manager, I advised her that what I read in the deposit account agreement. This woman told me, "Do you think we can make a change just for you. When it clearly says we may increase or decrease the limits or amounts at any time." I told her, "No I don't believe you can do that, but your deposit account agreement says different." To no avail it was a waste of time.

Calling universe silver customer service helped me? No! Not at all. I was kind with everyone I talked to and listened carefully. I then called title max and talked with Ruben. Told him what went on and he said that title max has no affiliation and what I found out they are, and universe silver is backed by Central Bank of Kansas City. The reason for this review is to inform everyone that my direct deposit was rejected by central bank of Kansas City. The amount was 16000.00 a little over what the limit is and as clear as day in the deposit account agreement says they can increase or decrease that amount at any time. Just not for me and the direct deposit was coming from the government.

I tried to explain to her I would pay my loan off with the money from direct deposit. So, this manager from universe silver told me to call the government to make arrangement to have them deposit half one day and the rest the following day. She said they do it for a lot of their customers well my deposit was rejected and having to get new banking information to them my payment was 2 months behind, so I had no choice to hand over my keys when the tow truck showed up on my door step. The tow truck driver was kind and only doing his job. Says title max is a well known devil.

Original review: April 28, 2022

Don't use these people. They really don't care about knowledge of the company they work for or care about you enough to try to help. I shop with O'Reilly's all the time, they always refund my purchase to the card before I ever leave the store! So I call the customer service line to only be told I can't speak to no one but the person who was being very mean and all they could say is no and sorry and was being very rude! So when I asked for manager, they said, "No managers, only supervisors." So I asked to speak to supervisor and was told no, that no one was available to talk to me! Okay so my monthly fee is for what, to be talked to like an idiot. I don't think so. I promise I will call whoever I have to this 3 days to five days isn't even in the policy, please help!?

Original review: April 22, 2022

I'm not really happy with them because I don't understand how they're charging me. They want this bunch of money a month, but I wasn't paying it, and it's just interest. I didn't know that any payment I made and if it wasn't a certain amount, it was considered interest and not a payment made. They sent me all this paperwork but it's too wordy and lengthy. It doesn't explain things in detail. If you're not a consumer credit person, then you're not even going to bother with that stuff. It's too arduous. Every time I make a payment, I have to sign documents about my credit history. It's ridiculous.

Universe Silver Company Information