FNBO

Omaha, NE

3.3/5 (149 ratings)

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

About FNBO

Over 150 years old, First National Bank was founded by two pioneers, Herman and Augustus Kountze in 1857 serving Omaha and the surrounding communities. The pioneers who founded First National Bank did so in the spirit of innovation and commitment to customer service. Today, this sixth generation family- owned business has become the largest privately owned banking company in the United States, with locations in seven states and more than 6.6 million customers across the country.

Find Banks and Credit Unions partners near you

FNBO Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about FNBO?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about First National Bank of Omaha?

Original review: May 11, 2022

I received a pre-approved offer. "Select few" I called customer service 3 times with questions. Never finished the application. After reading these reviews I'm so glad I hung up. What kind of a company reduces credit limit? That's so shady. WHEN YOU'RE APPROVED FOR AN AMOUNT THAT AMOUNT DOES NOT CHANGE! That's so unbelievable to me. Disgusting. I would NEVER do business with a company like that. I just shredded the letter. Thank you all for posting your reviews.

Original review: April 22, 2022

I took out an FNBO credit card through Northern Tool at the end of 2021. My wife used it to make some online purchases. The card got saved into her Google account. In early January, 2022 I got a call from FNBO asking if I was making purchases of any Google products to which I told her no after asking my wife. The FNBO representative only said there were more than a few. When my January statement came there were upwards of 120 Google charges for over $1800. I call the fraud department twice and they denied my claim citing proof that I participated in the transaction. The only other possibility I could come up with was that my 3 year old must have hit every download button he found while he was on the computer in December before we noticed on our January statement.

I admit that we did not monitor our child as well as we should have and will have to pay the consequences. My review stems from the fact that I get immediate phone calls, emails or texts from my other card through CAPITAL ONE any time there is any suspicious activity or unusual amount of charges. My experience with the First National Bank of Omaha credit card is that they do not provide that service which would have saved me from having a huge bill to pay.

FNBO response

We hate that you aren't pleased with your recent experience, Douglas. Thank you for taking the time to voice your concerns. We're sorry your fraud claim was denied. Please try to enroll in account alerts through your online banking portal. The Daily Balance Update is a valuable alert to help monitor your account.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 14, 2022

I filled out an application for a FNBO credit card and was rejected due to "identifying information does not verify". I have near-perfect credit (820'). Their customer service is bad and uncaring. Why do business with someone that does not want it? I have no idea how they make money. I have other cards and don't need this one, I should have done more research before even applying but the bonus and cashback lured me in. Stay away.

FNBO response

Erik, thank you for your interest in FNBO. We appreciate you for bringing your negative experience to our attention. This does not reflect the experience we strive to create. We’re sorry your application was rejected, and we hope we can serve you in the future.

Original review: April 10, 2022

I requested to our mortgage lender (FNBO) to remove PMI, based on the value of the home. I ordered an appraisal on 2/8/22. Between the date of ordering and 3/15/22, I followed up 6 times. Both by phone and email. The person in charge of this process at the bank, First National Bank of Omaha (FNBO), is named Miranda Nightengale. She responded each time that she only orders the appraisal, and has no control. After trying to get a resolution for 5 weeks, she told me “it’s not really a problem because if it’s approved, we’ll retro this to when you asked, and credit the PMI back.”

I told her this is an unacceptable answer, and it’s taken far too long. She agreed it had taken too long, but said she had no way to “escalate this,” or follow up. Come to find out a few days later on 3/18/22, the appraisal was never “accepted” by anyone to do it. Even though someone came out to take pictures and measure the exterior of the house “for the appraiser.” This is ludicrous. She then suggested instead we do a BPO, as it will be done by a local real estate agent.

On 3/18/22, she told me that when she ordered the BPO, it cancelled “our place in line” for the appraisal, but she thought the BPO would come back quickly. Nearly another month has passed, as it is now 4/10/22… and we are no closer to reaching a resolution than when I started this months ago. There must be some path of recourse. This seems outrageous that a lender can simply say they have no way to check on this, no clue on when it the process will be completed if ever, and continue charging me every month for PMI premiums that are unjustified.

FNBO response

Charles, thank you for leaving us a review. We’re sorry you aren’t satisfied with your recent experience. Our records show your PMI was terminated, and two insurance premiums were reimbursed. If there is anything else we can assist you with, please contact us at 877-217-9714.

Original review: March 23, 2022

Was approved for business credit card for 15k. I have very good personal credit and business credit. My account was always paid on time. Next thing I know my credit limit was decreased to 3k. I called and spoke to a very rude woman who told me they did not like the way a company Fund & Grow did business so, they reduced my credit line. She didn't make any sense. I paid off any outstanding balance while on the phone with her and closed the account. As a business owner if my employee had spoke to a customer like she spoke to me they would be TERMINATED!!!! Also, it lets me know a lot about the company and what they think of their customers. ANY GOOD BUSINESS KNOWS YOUR EMPLOYEE'S ATTITUDE IS A REFLECTION OF YOUR COMPANY VALUES!!!!

FNBO response

We appreciate you for taking the time to share your experience with us. Our goal is to always exceed your expectations, and your experience doesn't mirror how we train our staff to behave. If you are open to discussing the issue further, we would be happy to hear from you. Can you please contact us at 800-819-4249 or AskFNBO@fnni.com?

Resolution In ProgressRated with 1 star
      Original review: March 17, 2022

It is certainly a Trap and a well made Trap. FNBO gave me an over $10K Credit line. Used only about 30% of it over 5+ months and then out of the blue they cut my Credit by 70% to just within a hair of the balance pending. They blamed FICO for the credit line change when in fact nothing has changed on my credit score or usage. This is more than likely a bait and switch trick to get people signed up then hurt their Credit Scores to prevent them from leaving. I will certainly pay it off and never use it again. Even the so called Ford Perks of $200+ was wiped out. Very Highly Dishonest.

FNBO response

Laaz, thank you for bringing your negative experience to our attention. This doesn't reflect our goals or the experience we strive to create. We're sorry your credit limit was decreased. We would hate to lose you as a valued customer and want to assure you that your constructive feedback does not go unnoticed.

Original review: March 17, 2022

Essentially my wife opened this account and recently changed it to auto-pay, and on the first deduction they pulled 2 payments at one time. Instead of immediately correcting their mistake we are having to jump thru hoops to get the money back and now they want us to wait an additional 10 days for the money due to their error! I’m thinking now this loan through this company was a mistake.

FNBO response

Darrin, thank you for sharing your insights with us. It’s hard for us to hear that you had a negative experience, as we always try to exceed your expectations. We're sorry there was trouble with your payment, and we want to look into your account. Can you please contact us at 888-530-3626 or AskFNBO@fnni.com?

Original review: March 17, 2022

I was pre-screened for their MasterCard, but when I applied with a 'very good' rating, which became just 'good' after the application, I was declined. First of all, unlike other banks, they pull a hard inquiry to see whether you're pre-approved, which hurts your credit score. Secondly, they do not give you a response immediately. Thirdly, when they eventually send you an email, instead of giving you the decision, it redirects you to their website which can't find your application (nor can their automated phone assistant do the trick), so you have to call their customer service to find out the response. The worst experience ever! So, if you receive a letter from FNBO, think twice before applying. Don't hurt your score for nothing! All their systems (including pre-screening and status checks, whether via the internet or phone) appear to be completely out of wack!

FNBO response

Alex, we're sorry you aren't satisfied with your application experience. Our credit team will request a hard inquiry for applications and a soft inquiry for pre-qualifications. Thank you for sharing your feedback with us, and we'll be sure to pass it on.

Original review: March 13, 2022

This bank is keep lowering my credit limit, and I don't even use the card. Never been late with payments. Almost every 6 months they lowering my credit limit close to the balance. Therefore my credit score is dropping because it shows 90% of credit utilization. It is called "Chasing the Balance". If they would not do what they doing with my credit utilization would be below 50% now with this bank.

FNBO response

Gabor, we really appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. We're sorry you are dissatisfied with our service and would like to further follow up with you to support your credit limit concern. Can you please call us at 888-530-3626?

Original review: March 9, 2022

I applied for their personal credit card on 1/17/22 and was approved for $14,000... Was informed I would receive my card in 7-10 Days. 2/03 I called due to a fraud letter... I verified with them only to get another fraud letter....Smdh....Called again on 3/04 to find out what was the problem now only to discover they failed to push 1 button to clear this mess up...Will Fed Ex card which is to arrive on 3/09... Not the punch line yet.... I have the Fed Ex app which tracks your packages only to get another message saying sender has put a stop on my card now a 3rd time....I will be calling in the morning to tell them to keep it...I have more than enough credit cards....They are the worse company to date I have encountered....

FNBO response

Shawn, thank you for reaching out to us. We're sorry your application experience didn't meet your expectations. We would hate to lose you as a valued customer, and we want to look into your application. Can you please email us at AskFNBO@fnni.com?

Take a Mortgage Quiz. Get matched with an Authorized Partner.

FNBO Company Information