FNBO

FNBO

Omaha, NE

3.7/5 (493 ratings)

About FNBO

Over 150 years old, First National Bank was founded by two pioneers, Herman and Augustus Kountze in 1857 serving Omaha and the surrounding communities. The pioneers who founded First National Bank did so in the spirit of innovation and commitment to customer service. Today, this sixth generation family- owned business has become the largest privately owned banking company in the United States, with locations in seven states and more than 6.6 million customers across the country.

FNBO Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First National Bank of Omaha?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2023

I recently applied for a co-branded Visa Credit Card for Scheel’s Sporting Goods. I was contacted by FNBO requesting additional information to confirm my identity even though I already have two other cards issued by them. The forms of ID they requested were:

- Copy of my Social Security Card
- Copy of my State Issued Driver's License

- Copies of of last two W-2 forms (I am retired so I contacted them and they said I would need to send copies of my last two Federal Income Tax Returns)

This seems excessive especially since I am already a card holder. Also, my FICO Credit Score is 825+. I felt uncomfortable supplying the info but I went ahead against my better judgement and submitted all of the above documentation. Guess What? I received notice today the card application was denied. What the heck is up with these people? I suspect they issue credit cards to individual much less worthy of credit and get stuck with unpaid charges. I always pay my card balance and haven’t been denied credit in 30+ years (if ever at all). I really wouldn’t recommend doing business with this card issuer. Capital One is a fine company and I’ll take my business to them.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2023

I received a packet in the mail from FNBO and was considering applying for their Visa credit card until I read all the horror story reviews on this site concerning the bank lowering credit lines for no reason. My score is 800+ and I pay my cards in full every month, I'm sure the same thing would happen to me had I gone ahead and gotten a card. Thanks again to all who took time to review and saved me and others the pain and suffering.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2022

Run as fast as you can!! This bank is the biggest fraud I've ever done business with! Offered me a credit limit on the Evergreen card of $13,100 with zero interest for a year. I charged a little over $7k, put half the cost of my Generac generator on this account and paid the balance down to under $3700 in a few months. These jokers slashed my credit line to $4k with no warning and for no reason! I was steaming! I called to ask why and all the rep could tell me was a letter was mailed out the same day I called, which was 2 days ago. I paid the entire balance and shut this bait and switch card down! My credit score dropped 30 points points!!! FNBO you will never have the chance to play with my credit again! This is horrible how you reel people in with your high limits then penalize those of us that are responsible and pay on time and more than the minimum! You are disgusting, but thank God for American Express! You lost a good one! Bye FNBO. You can take your card and shove it! Put your Nike's on and run from this bank!

Original review: Dec. 20, 2022

FNBO bought our local bank a month ago. So far, they debited me $235 for a $35 check and just said they would get around to it, didn't let me add one savings account to my online ID because they miscategorized me as a "signer" instead of an "owner" (it has always been a joint account with my husband), charged me the annual safe deposit box fee in December that I paid last May, and changed the address on a billpay vendor to the wrong state. Stay away from these people if you don't want to spend hours trying to get their screwups fixed!

Original review: Dec. 8, 2022

These people from the company conduct unethical business activities. They grant you credit then later flocks it with nonsense excuses. What they request was fulfill but yet they are still in denial! Don’t waste your time and mess up credit by applying with their bank. My score was 848 and they just can’t believe it. I’m sure it’s better than most of the staff there that’s questioning me!

Original review: Nov. 29, 2022

I got approved for a $25,000 credit line and it was cut to $7,000 without any warning! I am waiting on an explanation to why, as the agent couldn’t explain it! But now I realized that this is a common practice by FNBO, Keep in mind I have 830 credit limit, never had a late payment!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2022

Got the FNBO getaway card in September and closed the card immediately!! They said I was under a fraud investigation for no reason!! I went out of town and next thing you know my card was declining!! Come to find out they had me under investigation because they said that I didn't have a phone number on file!! Which is crazy because on your account they give you the option of reaching you thru telephone number or email!! I chose to be contacted thru email and that's a problem!! I always paid my credit card on time and never gave 'em a reason of suspicion!! So tried to rectify the problem and the fraud department says that I have to show documents to a local bank to verify it's me!! I said no way!! And I cancelled that card asap!! Never in my life have I got disrespected by a bank like this before!! I REPEAT DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH FNBO!! PERIOD!!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2022

Just received a notice that my credit limit was cut in half from what I originally signed up for. Obviously affecting my credit in a negative way. I am less than happy Especially after just paying $3000 on the card a month ago. They will rope you in with a decent credit limit. Promise you everything. Then when you go to use the card A few months in they will cut your credit limit down by roughly 50 to 60% for no real reason. If you want to deal with a good company do not use them, I will be paying off my card immediately, and closing the account and will warn every person I talk to about this. Very crappy business practice, whoever’s in charge at this company needs a new job. Too bad I could not give zero stars.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2022

I just paid my entire statement balance. I am using this card now to pay off our many medical bills that were acquired this year. I logged into my account this morning and my credit limit was reduced by more than 50%. I pay my balance each month, and find this extremely disappointing. With the new charges, it looks like I am maxed out because of the limits I have never had a credit card company do this to me before, lower a limit without warning. The BP Visa should have stayed with Synchrony and never switched to FNBO. I will be closing my account. I do not recommend this credit card or bank.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2022

Unfortunately this really happened to me. I've had this card for 16 years and have made very sure not to be late on it, even when times were extremely tough - like after my house flooded in the "Great Flood of 2016" and I had to max out all my credit cards to start work on my house since I couldn't get money from my insurance company as quickly as they promised. I had a relatively small limit, about $3500, but the minute I sold my house I made a $1500 payment on this card to get the balance down. My reward? They DROPPED my limit to $1750.

Of course I complained and was contacted by a rude CSR who said something about how terrible my credit was, and that they had just reviewed it. (Coincidence that it was right after I made that huge payment? I think not.) She said nothing about the fact that literally YEARS have passed w/o a late payment, and didn't seem to care when I mentioned it.

I even tried to explain that my real estate agent told me credit would drop after I sold my house, it wasn't that I deserved the drop, as she could see from my payment history. Not one care given. So just keep this in mind if you want one of these cards. It is now my "emergency only" card, and I am really sad about that. I used to love this company.

FNBO Company Information