1.20/5

Omaha, NE

Over 150 years old, First National Bank was founded by two pioneers, Herman and Augustus Kountze in 1857 serving Omaha and the surrounding communities. The pioneers who founded First National Bank did so in the spirit of innovation and commitment to customer service. Today, this sixth generation family- owned business has become the largest privately owned banking company in the United States, with locations in seven states and more than 6.6 million customers across the country.

For questions about your account, please call Customer Service. Remember to never disclose your account information on any social network.

View More View More

109 First National Bank of Omaha Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 25, 2019

I’ve been an account holder with this bank for 6 years. My limit was 5k with a decrease to 2,500 about 6 months ago. Never a late payment with anyone for over 10 years and today Credit Karma revealed to me my account was closed in January. This is something to be expected if you're not paying on time I’d assume but to not notify a customer that’s been with you paying on time for years is extremely unsettling.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Elizabeth, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience. Credit increases and decreases are based on customers’ credit as a whole. Every account is carefully evaluated to establish a credit limit consistent not only with our interests, but the interests of the customer as well. If you would like to private message us with more information, we would be happy to look into this matter. Thank you.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have had an account with First National Bank of Omaha for 8 years. 5 of those years I held a credit card. Never had a late payment or any issues. Over a month ago I purchased an e-book & it brought me to a link saying the product is not available. I attempted contacting the the seller to no avail. I decided to contact my bank to dispute this and do a chargeback. No matter what time of day I call I am on hold with FNBO for over 15 minutes. When I ask about the status of the dispute all they say is "we are really backed up and they haven't started it yet". When I ask for a timeframe they say they don't have one. It's been well over a month and they STILL haven't started my case. This is ridiculous. When I go into the branches they say I need to contact the call center. How long am I supposed to wait?

First National Bank of Omaha response

Natasha, we’re sorry to hear about your recent experience. Customer service is very important to us and we’d like to see if we can help. If you would like to send us a private message with more information, we’d be happy to look into this for you. Thank you.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: March 1, 2019

Avoid opening an account with them, if you need money go to a real bank, this is an online bank live and expand by the fees they charge even if you pay in the same month, such a business need to be further investigated as it has 0 satisfactory!!! What a business in the world that has 0 satisfactory!! Not even a Chinese scammer business!!! IF YOU WANT TO HAVE AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM LOOK AT THE REVIEWS EVERYWHERE, if you see 1.5 not even five then there is a satisfactory, they have 1 because there is nothing less than 1, if there was -100 they will for sure have it. THEY GOAL IS YOUR MONEY NOT YOUR SATISFACTORY.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Michael, we apologize that your recent experience with our bank has been frustrating and appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We have more than 100 branch locations in Nebraska, Iowa, Colorado, Kansas, Illinois, Texas, and South Dakota to assist our customers with all their banking needs. If you’d like to send us a private message with additional information about what happened, we would be happy to look into how we can assist you.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Warning. If you choose to get a First Bankcard it will end up being the BIGGEST mistake you could make with regards to credit cards. It is so bad I refuse to shop on Overstock.com ever again. As with many other reviews I have seen my card was paid on time and not over the limit. It had been in good standing. Today I received a notice saying they are cancelling me and one of those reasons was because I paid off my car and instead of getting a new one with a monthly installment note I chose to remain free of a car payment. So they cancelled me.

I have some medical bills that are being disputed and until that is resolved it is on my report as a collection. (Paying it but still somehow a collection). This bank is a complete rip off and a scam to all consumers. Avoid both First Bankcard and Overstock.com it is NOT worth it. With all the other reviews here I am starting to think a class action lawsuit might be in order considering the damage this does to our credit scores. 50-100 points minimum usually is taken off your score when a bank shuts down your CC.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I too had an Overstock credit card which was issued by, First Bank of Omaha. 6 months ago they found Credit-speak reasons to lower my limit (although I didn't use the card) and this month, I received notification that my account had been closed for the same Credit-speak reasoning. Paying on time every time and higher than minimum payments has not stopped them from damaging my Credit. I would involve myself in the class action lawsuit I am sure is on the horizon.

First National Bank of Omaha response

John, we apologize that your recent experience with our bank has been frustrating and appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We value your opinions, and we take all correspondence seriously. We will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First National Bank of Omaha?

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I have had my card for over 5 years. Always paid my card on time double the amounts. Was never late. I got a letter yesterday 2-25-19. My account is now closed. The reason they explained in the letter was they received a notice from the credit company. I have never heard of this before, my credit report will show for the past 20 years all bills have been paid on time. Closing a card lowers your credit score. I did call them. They advised, "Read the letter. That is why your card was closed."

First National Bank of Omaha response

Cindy, we apologize that your recent experience with our bank has been frustrating and appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We value your opinions, and we take all correspondence seriously. We will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I called to cancel my First Bankcard on the day I received the notice that the annual fee was posted. They could NOT waive the fee. I am not happy. I had a zero balance the month before. They told me I was notified of the annual membership fee coming due so they will not waive the fee. I have never heard of such a policy. Not a happy Customer.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Crystal, we understand your frustration and would like a chance to look into this. If you would like to send us a private message with more information, we’d be happy to look into this matter for you. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Updated on 03/07/2019: I paid my balance IN FULL on my RAKUTEN Master Card just a few days after First Bank closed the account for no apparent reason. Always paid on time, never late, etc. I called First Bank customer service today, but even with a zero'ed balance, they will not even consider reinstating the account. I don't need their credit line, I have several others bank cards with full available credit. What upsets me is that they slam the door on me when I call to request a consideration of reopening the credit line. No negotiation at all. They say I need to reapply as a new customer... Caveat Emptor with doing business with First Bank Of Omaha. They will throw you under the bus!!

Original review: As in so many other recent cases I see here, my card account in good standing (never late, etc.) was also closed without reasonable cause. It was a RAKUTEN card. Apparently First bank has also shut down the RAKUTEN card site. This is not a good sign as it could be signaling deeper systemic problems in their organization. I cannot recommend any First Bank product based on my recent experience.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Michael, we apologize that your recent experience with our bank has been frustrating and appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns.. We value your opinions, and we take all correspondence seriously. We will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Like everyone else I had an Overstock credit card which was issued by, I believe First Bank of Omaha. Last month, I received a credit monitoring notification that my account had been closed with various "waffle" reasons given. ZERO notification from First Bank. It seems they have ended their association with Overstock and are closing accounts. Happening to many people and credit is being ruined. Currently myself and several others are investigating a class action lawsuit due to their underhand actions.

First National Bank of Omaha response

We are sorry to hear about your recent experience. Customer service is very important to us and we appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

FNB OMAHA did not notify me of this cancellation until I disputed the notice that it was closed on the credit reports. On 2-22-19 I received notice. The reports were accurate and on the same day I received a notice that my account was closed. The notice was backdated to 1-17-2019. Never late, paid more than minimum, had this account for over four years. From what I found in researching this, the credit card companies can do this at their own discretion without notifying the card holder. This is really a bad practice. Hope these complaints have an impact, would like to have the companies notify their card holders when the account is canceled at the time the action occurs rather than when a card holder disputes it on their credit report.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Denise, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience. Customer service is very important to us and we appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Have had an Overstock credit card for over 5 years and received a letter today stating the account has been closed. The letter is stating that the account is closed due to excessive delinquencies. I do not have “excessive delinquencies" with this account nor on any other account. My credit report does not show any delinquencies either. Not sure what is going in with this company but based on the number of recent complaints I believe something fraudulent is going on.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Kelly, we’re sorry to hear about the inconvenience and your recent experience. We value your opinions, and take all correspondence seriously. We will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

First National Bank of Omaha closed my "in good standing" account without warning. I have had the account for over 6 years, ALWAYS paid more than minimum due and NEVER made a late payment! Today, First National Bank sent me a letter stating that my credit score had dropped so they were closing my acct. Despicable action since I have proven to be a customer who pays my bill and ALWAYS on time. I am very unhappy and would never recommend the company to anyone.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Donna, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience. Customer service is very important to us and we appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I checked my credit score a few days ago and my score had dropped by almost 30 points. I looked and saw that my FNB credit limit had decreased from $5000 to just over $2400, that made my usage go up to almost 95%. So I called customer service and the lady said that I had too many inquiries and something else, she said they sent out a letter which I never received. I don't have any recent inquiries on my credit report, the only thing that I see is that I had a late fee, which I paid my bill on the due date, but it was after five and was charged a late fee, which was then credited back to my account. I think that was the reason they lowered my credit line, I looked back through my past statements and had not had a late fee since 2015. They are full of crap and I will be paying off they card and closing this account.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Chrishonta, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience. Credit increases and decreases are based on customers credit as a whole. Every account is carefully evaluated to establish a credit limit consistent not only with our interests, but the interests of the customer as well. We will make sure to pass your feedback on so that we can review. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

FNB of Omaha decided to close my account without telling me. If it were not for Credit Karma alerting me of the closure, I would not have known. Apparently, they closed my account in mid-January. I, however, made a pay-off payment a week ago, so I owe you nothing! I called customer service to be told they longer partner with Overstock.com. I asked why there wasn't any correspondence sent out about the closure, to which she responded "letters were sent out this week." Aren't you supposed to inform customers BEFORE you close their accounts?

First National Bank of Omaha response

Michael, we apologize that your recent experience with our bank has been frustrating and appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We value your opinions, and we take all correspondence seriously. We will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2019

Closed my account without warning. I always paid on time and more than the minimum. I had over $2000 credit available when I received an alert from Experian that the account was closed and marked settlement. Now, never missed a payment, FICO in the 700s and they do this. I called customer service and was told, letters were supposed to go out. Note the plural, letters. Other people have experienced this as well I can see from the posts. We're in process of selling and buying another house and First National damaged my credit for no reason.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Ray, we apologize that your recent experience with our bank has been frustrating and appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We value your opinions, and we take all correspondence seriously. We will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

Our account was compromised 12 times at various Sams Clubs in Florida in one day. Luckily for us, I do not depend on the Fraud Division to monitor our accounts; I check our balance daily. The bank did “catch” some of the purchases and immediately reversed them. There were a total of $1,100 various purchases made. I never received a phone call, text or email advising us our account had been compromised to report fraudulent purchases, nor did they cancel the debit card used.

I called the Fraud Division and cancelled the card. They did not know why the purchases (12 in one day) were made, why some were declined and why I wasn’t called. I checked our account the next day, and 5 more purchases were “pending” - again at Sams Clubs - still on the cancelled card. Again, I received no phone call. I called to report the purchases again and they didn’t know why I wasn’t alerted. I was told I will have to wait 10-14 days for their “investigation to conclude so that my account will have the charges reversed. Even though the purchases are “pending,” my account balance is affected by these fraudulent charges.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Diane, we’re sorry to hear about your recent experience and appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We understand the frustration this situation can cause. Please know that customers are never responsible for confirmed fraudulent charges. If you would like to send us a private message with more information, we can look in to this further.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

I had a wonderful, long, 10 year relationship, with 1st Bank of Omaha until today. I was diligent about making the payments and always carried a balance during those years. Basically I was a very good customer, and they made a good bit of change over the years keeping me as a customer. So imagine my surprise to find out my account had been closed without warning. To make matters worse, I found out what they did because they sent me a replacement card in the mail. I called up customer service and tried to activate the card only to be told - "Sorry your account is closed. Your credit score has changed and we no longer want you as a customer." I would be getting a letter in the mail notifying me of the change.

I was shocked. I've had a great relationship with this provider - I had no idea they would just up and give me the boot due to a credit rating change. At this point, I don't even know if it's a valid credit rating change. Considering, I haven't had anything negative happen to my credit or applied for a bunch of cards it's very likely the change is invalid. If it does turn out to be a mistake I assume my account status will remain closed. Basically I feel like I am being punished for something I didn't do, and insulted on top of it all. Extremely disappointing First Bank.

First National Bank of Omaha response

We apologize that your recent experience with our bank has been frustrating and appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We value your opinions, and we take all correspondence seriously. We will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team. If you would like to private message us with more details, we would be happy to look into this matter for you.

Resolution response: Jan. 24, 2019

They responded with sorry but that does not help me in any way. My credit will be negatively affected for years all without me having done anything wrong. Just goes to show you can do everything right and the banks can still adversely affect your life. VERY DISSATISFIED does not come close to explain my experience.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

I opened this MasterCard 7 years ago and saw steady credit line increases since I never paid late and never went over my limit. Last year they dramatically decreased my limit saying their automated routine credit review decreased my credit limit. All the while three other accounts at other banks INCREASED my credit limits. I refinanced my home and dropped my overall credit balances. My credit score WENT up on all 3 credit bureaus and suddenly without notice they canceled the account.

I understand they run their business the way they want but with the number of credit offering businesses decreasing through mergers if this is the way they normally do business they want keep customers long especially since customers who USE credit wisely are money-making customers and if they don’t want my interest payments there are still quite a few banks out there that still do.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Dery, thank you for sharing your experience with us. Credit increases and decreases are based on your credit as a whole. Every account is carefully evaluated to establish a credit limit consistent not only with our interests, but the interests of the customer as well. We would be pleased to review this matter with you. We're loyal to our customers and every customer is important to us.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2019

Discovered by accident that my Mastercard had been closed out. Spoke with customer service and was told multiple accounts have been closed recently by the bank. Also that I would receive a letter in 7 to 10 days to explain. Strange way to do business. Was making minimum on time payments each month. Assume that was it not sufficient for them to conduct their business. This could and should have been handled better and I should have had the opportunity to correct any perceived problem. Very poor way to do business.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

I am among the thousands of people who magically have their credit card limit decreased right above current balance even after years of being a customer with 0 late or missed payments with them or anywhere else. I mean 0. This horrible credit card company will reward you with credit decrease in an attempt to harm your credit making it look like you're utilizing all your credit limit. STAY FAR FAR AWAY. THEY ARE BAD BAD BAD.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2019

After having this card for over three years, they have given me another credit decrease right after they gave me an increase. I have never had a late payment with this account or any other account, had to find out by Credit Karma my credit has been decreased by 50%...no notification, no email, no message. Called customer service and they were less than helpful. This is not first time this has happened, now my credit limit is at almost at 100% and my score has gone down by 10 points. I will pay off this account and throw the card in the trash along with its almost criminal APR... Don't waste your time with this inferior credit card company.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Nicol, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience. Credit increases and decreases are based on customers credit as a whole. Every account is carefully evaluated to establish a credit limit consistent not only with our interests, but the interests of the customer as well. We will make sure to pass your feedback on so that we can review. Thank you.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2019

I have had my Overstock credit card since 2017. I have never had any late payments and have always paid over the minimum amount due on this card. I recently made a payment on my account and went online to check that the payment had gone through, and to check my available balance when I discovered that I had zero available credit. I immediately called to find out what caused my available balance to be at zero and was told that the bank had closed my account due to my credit score. My payment history has been immaculate with no late payments or collections for over 10 years and this company decides to drop me and put a black mark on my credit history for no valid reason and without notice. This is totally outrageous to get dinged on my credit when I pride myself in making payments on all my accounts on time. Shame on this company for this type of practice that negatively affects their customer's credit history.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Original review: Jan. 12, 2019

I received a pre-approval offer for a credit card from FNB stating balance transfer 5.99% interest until paid off. I transferred my balances to their bank and paid a fee of well over 400$ for the transfer hoping to save interest. I received my first statement and my minimum payment is almost 1000$. Why would I transfer balances I wanted to pay down at a lower interest rate to them and have a minimum payment 4x the normal payment anywhere else? now I will pay off the card and close the account. I will contact the NYS banking department to let them know about their unfair practices of bait and switch. They had me move my balances over with the promise of a rate 5.99 until it's paid in full. They are trying to make me pay it off in a year. Worse SCAM I have ever seen. Stay away from this bank.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Thomas, we are sorry to hear that your recent experience with our bank has been frustrating. We would like the chance to look into this. If you’d like to send us a private message with additional information, we would be happy to look into this further. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I've had my card from FNB for 7 years. Started out at a very small credit limit and am now at 30 gs they have always stayed on top of my transactions. How I paid and I have never ask for an increase, my experiences I have had are top rated. Quite pleased with this bank.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Thank you for your five star review! We appreciate your business and loyalty.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

I got taken by the kiosk merchant, claim their printer terminal was not working then turn around. Charged me in excess of 500.00. File the dispute but since I give them the card, the lady at the dispute department told me they can't do anything at all! Really? And signature they try to pass off as mine is not by mine. Still no go. This company will not stand by the consumer, I still have to pay since my credit rating is important to me and unfortunately I do want to earn future points from the M life. I did not close the account, however, in the future, I will only use this card for M life purchase only since I know I will not get any normal credit card purchase protection. I would give Minus 10 rating if I could!

First National Bank of Omaha response

We are sorry to hear about your recent experience with First National Bank. We would be happy to look over this matter with you. Can you please give us a call at 1-888-238-5070 so we may assist you? We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

On Dec. 1st 2018 First National Bank of Omaha STOLE $960 from my checking account and is claiming "skimming" fraud at the 108th & Blondo ATM. No skimming fraud has taken place. First National has committed this fraud and I am concerned about how many customers that have used this ATM have also had their money stolen from FNB. The funds in question were reported missing on Dec. 2nd, but FNB didn't report until the 4th. Federal Law provides them 10 business days to conduct their investigation and issue their determination. However, if they can't definitively prove that their account holder engaged in the fraud, THEY MUST RETURN YOUR FUNDS.

Though I have not EVER participated in fraud, I am certain that they are going to refuse to return the funds without providing a scrap of evidence to bolster such preposterous allegations. They will also likely claim a loss with their insurance to maximize their benefit. I will DEMAND video of the FNB ATM where the funds were allegedly extracted. If they do not meet this demand I will subpoena the video in court. Being that they commandeered my funds, they will not be able to submit any video to corroborate their claims of skimming fraud. I intend to create a FB page dedicated to this fraud, wherein I can gather additional information from other FNB customers that have been defrauded by FNB. I WILL NOT RELENT EVER!

Sean,

First National Bank does not have an ATM at 108th and Blondo, but we would like to talk with you in regards to this matter. If a customer were a victim of skimming fraud, they would not be liable for any unauthorized charges on their account.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

I am a twenty year customer and I have always maintained several accounts with nice balances. I had a maintenance Free checking account from when I first opened an account with the bank that I was no longer using that was charged maintenance fees until it had a negative balance starting a little over a year and a half ago. I had left a little over a $100 in the original checking account and had not worried about it since it was a service charge free account and I would close it once I was sure that no additional charges would come through.

Without notification, FNB started charging a monthly $10 maintenance fee on the account until I had a negative balance. It was an online only account, without a printed statement which costs the bank a fraction of a penny to process a month. I complained and asked for the account to be closed and I asked for the balance back. I received $20 of my balance back. I have since closed all but one checking account and I plan to move my business. This is not customer loyalty!

First National Bank of Omaha response

We appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns and are sorry to hear about your recent experience. Customer service is very important to us. Our goal is to exceed expectations and we will make sure to pass your feedback on so that we can review.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

This is the WORST credit card customer service department that can possibly exist!! Someone stole my account information and got into my online account and changed my address and email. They did alert me to fraud, so they cancelled my account and issued me another card. Guess where they mailed the new card to? THE FRAUD ADDRESS!! So we went through the process again. I got a new card again, but they reported the fraud address to my credit bureau and refuse to admit they did it, so they won't delete it from my credit bureau file. WHO ELSE COULD HAVE REPORTED IT??? They also say they can't delete the other fraudulent username from my account (which gets confusing when I need to call into them). What a joke this company is and the people it hires!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

I opened a secured business card with a Rk deposit. After 16 months of use and paying off the balance every month I called to get my deposit back. Thema on the phone line said I can't get it back unless I close the account. So I was lied to by the gal at my bank who said I would get my deposit back or the man on their customer helpline lied. They also keep failing to update my address change. They also lock up my credit card EVERY time I use it. This has caused trouble for my business. We thought they would be better than this as we have had all our accounts with them personal for 6 years and business for two. Our business poured serious cash to them and it's offensive to be treated with lying. It's a nightmare to have my card locked up all the time and that they cannot seem to update the address records since July of 18. DO NOT USE THIS BANK unless you thrive on lies and incompetence.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Jade, we apologize that your recent experience with our bank has been frustrating and appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We value your opinions, and we take all correspondence seriously. We will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2018

I got two cards from these guys for a balance transfer with a 5.99% fixed APR. I thought I was making my monthly payments much smaller than keeping a 19% APR Citi card that I had. I just received my two statements and both are higher than my minimum payment would have been if I kept the 19% card. There is no detail to how they came up with my payment on my statement. AND they have a “if you pay this much a month, you will pay it off sooner than just paying your minimum payment” and that dollar amount per month was 50% less than what they told me my minimum payment is on the statement. The online messaging is a joke. They don’t respond to any messages you send.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Stephanie, we appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. Please contact us at 1-888-295-5540, so we can look into this further. We’ll be sure to fully investigate this matter for you. We look forward to hearing from you.

First National Bank of Omaha Company Information