2. Finance

FNBO

Omaha, NE

3.8/5 (225 ratings)

About FNBO

Over 150 years old, First National Bank was founded by two pioneers, Herman and Augustus Kountze in 1857 serving Omaha and the surrounding communities. The pioneers who founded First National Bank did so in the spirit of innovation and commitment to customer service. Today, this sixth generation family- owned business has become the largest privately owned banking company in the United States, with locations in seven states and more than 6.6 million customers across the country.

FNBO Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about FNBO?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about First National Bank of Omaha?

Original review: July 8, 2021

My review is simple- Stay Away from the Letters they send every month saying you are pre-Qualified. I have not been rejected for a Credit Card in 5 years until today- I have had identity theft 6 times - my gut feeling said, it was not a good idea. Trust me- Don't Do It.

FNBO response

Donald, we appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. Your feedback will be used to help improve our service.

Original review: July 3, 2021

So I received an offer in the mail saying I was pre-approved. Decided to check it out and they performed a Soft Pull on my Credit and said I was "Pre-Qualified" with a 15,000 credit limit, 12 months intro 0% APR, Etc. I don't need the credit that much as I have a number of tradelines in that range already. With that being said, At 15K, I really thought about getting the card but when I hit the "continue" button it just didn't do anything. Felt kind of strange and I decided to actually take a look at their reputation online...WOW. I am glad the button did not work! Between the lowering of credit limits without notice, the poor customer service, and the sheer number of 1 star reviews, I think I will pass on this bank forever. My scores are 780+ but I don't trust these guys as far as I can throw them. Seems like they have a bait and switch going on... Pre-qualify you at 15K... Give you a lower limit of maybe 7500 and THEN lower it to 500 after several months. No thanks!

FNBO response

M, we are sorry you didn't continue with the application. We treat all of our customers with respect and fairness and strive to make all experiences with First National positive. If you would ever like to apply in the future please don't hesitate to reach out.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 7, 2021

They sent me an invitation to apply for a credit card. I went online to accept and it said I was approved for a card with a $15,000 credit line. I have other cards from other banks with similar lines. So I pressed apply which gave me a hit on my credit report. DENIED. What a horrible bank, stay away.

FNBO response

Mark, we are sorry to hear you are not satisfied with your experience. When we send out invitation offers, those are done without a credit check. Depending on what is found when we pull your credit inquiry, dictates your approval outcome. We will be sending out a reasoning letter, that mail time is 7-10 business days.

Original review: May 13, 2021

FNBO is sending me invitations for the last 12 month to apply for their rewards credit card. When finally I applied (my credit score was above 740) they denied my application affecting my credit score 15 points. What a strange way to do business. Sending pre approval mail invitations for 12 months and denying actual applications LOL. Useless.

Original review: March 24, 2021

This Co. lowered my available balance (what never happened to me before with none of other CC!!!). Which hit my credit score unexpectedly. I wish I closed this card. They said they monitor your credit and make decision every half year and I can request a review 6 months later. For years I had the card nothing ever happened. Until one day, without significant changes to my credit report. And when I requested a review they hit my credit score one more time by hard inquiry!?!! How come you figured it to lower my credit line and hurt my credit score without hard in inquiry, and you needed hard inquiry to see if you can put credit line back to what it was to hit my credit score against. Bottomline, if you accept this CC to repair your credit - close it few years down not to hurt your credit, more than it was repaired, out of a blue.

FNBO response

Anastasiya, we're sorry to hear about any inconvenience you may have experienced. Customer service is very important to us and we appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. Please be assured we take all feedback into consideration.

Original review: March 12, 2021

At first FNBO Jeep Drive Plus Mastercard seemed ok. There were a few hiccups along the way that gave me the uneasy feeling that these guys are not organized, but nothing that indicated pure concentrated evil. So, I was moving along attempting to earn points for Jeep gear and also use the 1000.00 earned incentive to purchase a new Wrangler. The incentive coupon was never received. I called FCA, I called FNBO ... and no one knew where was my incentive coupon. Then, after I purchased my new Jeep the coupon arrived.

So, I recovered my composure and offered the cleverly worded incentive coupon to my family for their next purchase. Come to find out the clever wording really just means that there is a 1000.00 dollar incentive to buy the FCA models no one else wants ... and not good for a Wrangler or Grand Cherokee. As a minimum, the creative wording borders false advertising. So, I continued spending in hopes of getting some Jeep gear. However, as it turns out ... FNBO (First BankCard Services) has hired a third party contractor for their rewards center. In order to redeem the rewards, the person claiming the valuable double points has to go to the dealer, and provide them with your tax i.d. number so that the parts staff can call and discuss your tax i.d. number with the third party contractor.

So now ... FNBO has your tax i.d. number, and they've given it without your permission to third party contractor Kobie, and then they require you to give it to the dealer! And we wonder how identity theft happens! What makes matters worse is FNBO says on their website that all you need at the dealer to redeem the points for Jeep gear is four pieces of information; and the tax i.d./SSN is NOT one of them. So here I am after spending a lot of money with FNBO and I either perpetuate their id theft scenario by giving my tax id to their third party contractor, or I lost the points and/or don't get my well earned Jeep gear. These guys are scammers to the max!

FNBO response

We apologize that your recent experience with our bank has been frustrating and appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We value your opinions, and take all correspondence seriously. We will make sure to pass this feedback on.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

I have banked with FNBO for 20 years and love their bankers. Always a very kind staff however as a small business, their PPP process has been an abomination, last in line, and they leave you to figure out everything on their portal on your own. Not one person is assigned to you. Now, almost a year later, it is still the same vague unattended process. Every other person I know has had round 1 fully forgiven already with other banks, no word on mine, and most are approved for round 2 from other banks, still waiting here as well. They also had a dedicated human they could call that guided them to expedite the process for them. FNBO has responded to our emails with a different person each and every time. Nothing personal has been indicated through this and we've been last in line every step of the way. It's already stressful for small businesses, this bank has made it more complicated and more stressful.

I opted to pursue my PPP with FNBO over Chase and Square due to my history with banking here and aiming to support a small bank, but they are making me regret it. The 1st round in the spring I gave them the benefit of the doubt since it was chaos, but it's the same tune behind the times of every other bank still almost a year later. My next pandemic/emergency will see my small business working with another bank. Once this blows over, I am relocating all of my personal and business accounts. It's unfortunate, I liked them up until but this is about business and money in the end.

FNBO response

We're sorry to hear about your recent experience. Customer service is very important to us. If you would like to send us a private message with more information including your full name, we would be happy to look into this matter for you. Customers can also visit https://www.fnbo.com/pages/coronavirus-updates/business/#tab5 for options in requesting support. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

This company has the worst reviews online and I know why. This company sold one of my accounts, I accidently sent a payment to this company for that account. They have my money, they wont look it up and they wont send it back. The "customer service" will hang up on you. I am going to have to hire an attorney and sue this company. STAY AWAY.

FNBO response

Terry, we're sorry to hear about your recent experience. Customer service is very important to us. If you would like to send us a private message with more information, we would be happy to look into this matter for you. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I normally decline any credit card offers when checking out at a retail store. Scheels and First Bankcard reminded me why I don't apply. My wife and I were checking out and they offered $50 off so I applied for a Scheels card. Short app but then it's unable to be processed. They further explain it does not mean you're denied just "they want to look into it a little further". No phone calls and a few weeks later I get a letter in the mail saying they are unable to process due to "Identify info does not verify".

So I then called the clowns at First Bankcard (First National Bank of Omaha) and talked to a real pleasant CSR (sarcasm). She explained the credit bureau reported an address out of state in Missouri. I said yes, that is one of our condos. I said this process is laughable as my credit score is near the top of the chart. I asked if they were going to issue the card or not. Her response was the request was denied. Very well. I didn't need the card and will make sure First National Bank of Omaha will never have my business, ever.

FNBO response

Eric, we're sorry to hear about any inconvenience you may have experienced. Customer service is very important to us and we appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We will make sure to pass this feedback on.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

My payment record etc with FNBO is PERFECT. They reduced my credit limit without notice and it dinged my Credit Score. Probably upset that I use my card to pay the lower rate. I have two rates. Horrible customer service!

FNBO response

Rozain, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience. You should expect to receive soon a letter from us with a clear explanation in regards to this matter. We value your opinions, and take all correspondence seriously. We will make sure to pass this feedback on.

FNBO Company Information