1.14/5
  • 1 star
Based on 50 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

First National Bank of Omaha

Over 150 years old, First National Bank was founded by two pioneers, Herman and Augustus Kountze in 1857 serving Omaha and the surrounding communities. The pioneers who founded First National Bank did so in the spirit of innovation and commitment to customer service. Today, this sixth generation family- owned business has become the largest privately owned banking company in the United States, with locations in seven states and more than 6.6 million customers across the country.

For questions about your account, please call Customer Service. Remember to never disclose your account information on any social network.

FIND OUT MORE FIND OUT MORE
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 17, 2017

52 First National Bank of Omaha Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I had nothing but trouble from the beginning. I set up automatic withdrawal THREE times before it went through. When it finally did, payment wasn't withdrawn the first month, so I manually paid online. There was notification that it might take 2 months, as with everything I've ever set up automatic payments for--but it never has taken 2 month on anything else. Ever. This month, I decided to check my account on the day payment was due, and a) No payment had been made, b) Showed "no payment is pending," c) Showed an amount. It was in the evening of the payment due date, so I paid online, as Customer Service was not available, and I did not want late fees and late payment showing up on my credit score.

Two days later, I get notified that both payments were taken out. I called customer service, and a very wordy representative told me at best, I had to wait until payment cleared my bank and arrange a conference call between First Bankcard and a supervisor at my bank. I do not have time during the day to do this, so basically they advised me that I was screwed out of $400. A payment I would never have made, if the online account showed, as it should have, that my automatic payment was pending. A rather snippy "supervisor"--I'm sure it was just another CSR--told me the same. I closed my account immediately, but this should never have happened. I have been banking online since the 90s and never had an ordeal like this.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

This bank is totally overcharging the consumers!!! I had a MasterCard with them. Got my bill, paid it in full. Once the payment had posted and my account showed a zero balance I called and closed my account. Now I get another bill for $46. When I called they refused to credit my account. Someone needs to take a class action against them and their sister bank First National Bank of Omaha. I asked for the supervisor. They switched me over and conveniently they don't give out names. These banks are making a killing off of consumers!!!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I had the NRA Visa and paid account off in full, a few months later I get a bill for interest. I called and the lady was rude and cut me off while I was trying to speak, she basically said since I didn't pay off my bill every time I had unpaid interest which makes no sense since I "Paid Account in full". I guess there was interest hiding in a corner somewhere or something. This wasn't the first problem I had with them, stay away. They are crooks and will keep charging you with a $0.00 balance.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I had a M life Rewards Mastercard with them. First thing, I had a difficult time to log into their website because of the password policies they have. Second, once I log in I could not pay or do anything with my card because they suspect my card. I called customer service, entered complete cc no on the IVR and last 4 of my social too.

I spoke to one of their agents, she asked me a lot of questions which I answered correctly. She asked my DOB, complete cc no and last 4 of social again (I don't know why 2nd time), my mother's maiden name etc. After answering all of her questions, she told me that in order to unlock the acct, I have to go to a different bank and call from their no. to prove my identity through them. What kind of policy is that?

Which bank would speak on behalf of us? Hopeless, I went to BofA and told them my problem. They said they can't do it. I don't think any bank will verify your identity with a different bank just because you are a customer to them. I went to US Bank and asked them the same thing but no luck. I called the Customer service again but this time they told me to notarize DL, Social Security Card and Address proof and have to fax it to ** to unlock my account.

I had a Discover card, BofA travel card and other cards over the past 3 yrs and I never had these kinds of problems. So, I went to BofA and US Bank again to notarize just as they asked but their policies won't allow notarizing a DL. Who's at fault here? What kind of policies does this First bank card have? If policies are not user-friendly, then you won't grow as an organization. Remember, every time I call in Customer service I had to authenticate myself with their hell lot of questions before they speak anything about my account. This was the worst experience in my life. DON'T WORK WITH THIS BANK OF OMAHA in any way.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Horrible... no mercy. I was in an accident and all my credit cards went into charge off. Capital One reinstated my cards. Barclays card still closed the account after I paid but removed all of the bad credit histories. This card, I got a condescending attitude... no mercy regarding what happened to me even after I said I would pay in full so why pay if I am going to have to deal with it anyway. Stay AWAY!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First National Bank of Omaha?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

FNBO has the worst online banking services... period! Its online platform is the polar opposite of user-friendly. It is impossible to find basic online banking services, such as transferring funds from FNBO to another bank. I can't disentangle myself from this poor excuse of bank fast enough!

First National Bank of Omaha response

John, thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please give us a call at 1-877-932-3626 so that we can go over the different options in regards to transferring funds? We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Money was taken out of my savings account by another person whose account numbers had two numbers off from mine. So at some point instead of the teller entering 33 they entered 88. To make matters worse the person's name wasn't even right and they still gave her the money. I called on Saturday and spoke with a customer service representative who assured me he would follow up on this and call me on Monday. Never heard from anyone thus I contacted the bank. They said there were no records or notes on the account.

The customer service representative promised me they would research and get back with me. Really angered that the error even occurred especially this day and age with security measures they have. What astounds me is the name is wrong yet they gave this woman the money. I don't understand that. I can go online and look at the image and clearly see where the problem is yet it will take them days to figure this out and return my money. Very dissatisfied. Will consider changing banks at this point.

Original review: May 22, 2017

Worst customer service experience ever. I have requested for nearly 2 years for paper statements because my email is not checked on a regular basis. I'm told it has been taken care of, but it never is. I went to go get a mortgage and the only blemish on my report is from this bank for late payments for a bill I haven't received. I ask if they can correct this and every time I get the late fee and I can't get it corrected from my credit report. It now has been reported twice the past 8 months as late and has probably affected the chances on me getting a mortgage on a home I've been constructing for the past 2 years. I'm now trying to figure out what to do with a house that I have a construction loan that I can't pay off because this company has singlehandedly ruined my credit!!! What can I possibly do???

Original review: April 25, 2017

One year in May of 2015, I've gotten approved for $9000! Right! It was great! Almost one year later I paid $500 every week for an entire month just for them to completely close my entire card out saying I had too many inquiries on my credit report! Are they kidding me? Nope, it's true! Not even just lowering it, completely closed me down, I was never late, always paid hundreds of dollars each month even when less than a hundred was due. I was furious!!!! Needless to say they didn't care and there was really no one to talk to. They wouldn't even give me the CEO's name and address and email, well they had no one for me to complain to to fight this. I still literally have 100% payment history on my credit report, and that's simply not good enough for them.

Oh wait here's another kicker... 2 months prior to this I had been approved from my personal bank and got a $5000 Visa card, which they closed just 2 months later after they closed my $9000 American Express card. OH how upset and angry I was because I have been working on my credit report for at least 5 years with no negatives then they do this!!!! I highly doubt I'll ever go back to them! Got them paid off quick too!!!!

Original review: April 20, 2017

I accidentally underpaid $3.- of the total due. On the next month's statement I was billed $55.- interest!!! Talked to an 'account specialist' and he reversed the charge, but didn't want to admit to the obvious over-charge.

Original review: March 28, 2017

I don't recommend this credit card. I have had the credit card for a long time with the same credit line. The statements are always late and you are charged a late fee. It have occurred more than once. I have received late statements after the account is due. They always blame the postal service. They fail to remove the late fee! Don't apply for this card, you will be paying additional funds before your account is paid in full.

Original review: March 27, 2017

Had a Visa card for about a billion years from FNB Omaha that I have not used for 3 years. Decided to take a vacation and put all items on it during the vacation so I could have them in one place and pay it off in 2-3 months. 2 Days into the vacation I had issues in checking into hotels. I called the Customer service to be informed by credit has been reduced from $7300 to $2000 overnight. Only explanation is a letter was sent to explain to my house (great!). Not what I want to hear on vacation. Horrible decision.

I have other credit so no biggie but WTF on making a decision like this in 24 hours. You lend money to make money so I will make sure this is paid off ASAP so they make as little as they can. Terrible business practice to a good customer. I requested a further credit increase and got an statement that said no, but we may increase it in a few months. Not what I call a solid bank in your corner. These guys will be shown the door when account is paid in full in the next 30 says. Bye Bye Omaha.

Original review: March 19, 2017

I've had a 1st Nat'l Bank of Omaha AMEX card for the past two years. Not used a lot, but this month I pulled it out to use for grocery shopping. Have generally carried a zero balance, and had a zero balance before this month. The other day I was in the grocery store, whipped out my card, and it was declined. Surprised because I knew [thought] I had lots of room on the card. Called the automated phone system from the store to find out what was going on. Was told that I only had something like $32 of available credit. So, screwed... I was buying $57 worth of groceries. Went home. Got a different credit card. Went back and bought my groceries.

When I got home I punched up the account and it said my credit limit was now something less than 50% of what it had been. Sent an e-mail, asked what the hell was going on. No response. Received a letter several days later confirming that my credit limit had been more than halved because, "...they didn't like the way I was handling my accounts." So, based on that bit of stupid arbitrariness, 1st Nat'l Bank of Omaha has rendered itself irrelevant in my life.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

My experience with First Bank Card of Omaha is terrible. Dealing with an issue with their online services was an error on their part which they would not own up to. A manager by the name of Dustin did everything he could do to put the blame on me instead of providing good customer service. The experience with dealer with him was terrible.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2016

First National Bank, Union Deposit, Harrisburg, PA - First National Bank is taking advantage of me as a customer because they know I live in Georgia and can't get to Pennsylvania to deal with the issue. I did a withdraw from the ATM of 300.00 and had a balance of $23 available. I did a few smaller transactions which left about thirteen dollars and some change in my account. I accidentally used the wrong card to pay my Sprint bill which was around $164. This would have put my account into a negative $150 plus $37 for overdraft which would have totaled around $187.

First National Bank claimed Sprint put a hold for the $164 which I received a text to my phone from Sprint the $164 was paid. Regardless of the hold or not, there was only one item which put my account into overdraft not two items. FNB charged me $74 and then not even 48 hours later, placed another $37 charge on me which placed my account into a -$261 status. This bank is robbing me and they need to be stopped.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2016

I was denied for an NRA sanctioned credit card based on ridiculous reasons that have nothing to do with credit worthiness. When I contacted First Bank of Omaha, they lied, and Blamed the I.C.S. or A.C.S. saying they gave an opinion on my credit worthiness, when they did not. Then, when FBO realized they had no grounds for their decision, they falsely created one. Literally one minute only the initial reason for denial is on the computer and on the letter I received, and less than an hour later another reason shows up. And that reason was false. In conclusion, anyone that trusts a bank that lies is a fool. And you deserve to lose money if you use them. P.S. I recorded and have proof everything I've said is true. Look for our documentary on YouTube coming soon. Under Corrupt banks.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2016

Had a VISA card through FNBO for about 6 years. I'd have cancelled them long ago but for the Scheels cash back cards. Their functionality is antiquated, customer service is "could care less" and they seem to find ways to squeeze extra money from the customer. Too many incidents to list but here's the highlights: Fraud notification: IF they detect fraud activity they sent you an email that looks just like a Nigerian scam email. The phone# on the email doesn't match the card so I don't respond thinking it's another scammer. So they cancelled my card without calling.

First time I was on a x-country car trip and couldn't get gas in. OK, 2nd time they cancelled card the day before I was to leave for Hawaii! Both times they claimed they called but that was a lie proven by cell records. They are so cheap they will not overnight deliver a replacement card instead they'll try to get by with snail mailing it. Last time I got them to Priority Mail but it took some growling from me. Bank/card account was hacked and identity stolen. Someone hacked into their bank, got into my account and changed my address, then ordered a bunch of expensive stuff. They did catch it but it was a royal pain and now I have to closely monitor my credit reports. Customer service and their fraud supervisors refused to admit their bank was hacked. Makes me wonder how many customers were affected.

Auto pay setup atrociously archaic and DO NOT trust their online software to record changes. Found this out the hard way. Got hit with a late fee with higher interest rate when the changes to auto pay didn't happen. They did not take any payment from my bank. I called and they had zero record of the changes I made. So the customer service tech got me set up for auto pay and good to go...not so fast...got whacked with another late fee. Ok...we repeat the above procedure. This different cust serve rep seemed smarter than the previous ones. He got me set up (3rd attempt now) and auto pay worked...except...more problems. I requested a higher auto pay which we talked at length about. Guess what?? Did not happen. But I came to expect this by now.

Even if auto pay works they wait til the last day to draw from your payment acct. For a variety of reasons sometimes payment or credit for payment gets delayed...so WHAM...another late fee and a higher interest rate. My bank is a competent international bank with excellent service and computers so I know the issue is very likely not on my side. Speaking of auto pay I notice they want to the last day or minute to debit your bank for payment. This creates a higher potential for late payment if there are computer glitches. Sneaky, yes? It does not take very many "incidents" or problems, which are never their fault, to use as an excuse to jack your interest rate to 29.9%. I guarantee you that they will NEVER tell you about the Card Act and reviewing your interest rate after 6 months of on-time payments. Why do that when you can rake the people for double the interest?

Their online account/statement software is a nightmare to navigate and worse to extract information from. There is no reason it should be so hard to find payment status, statements, and the hardest to find...how much they're stocking for fees and interest rate. I'm patient, easy going person but this company can really fire me up. Just discovered another screw up this morning so they're going bye which I should have done a couple years ago. To summarize: lying employees, badly unreliable computer system, untrustworthy account security, antiquated replacement card system, poor fraud alert service and in my opinion shady business practices to fleece the customers. After a while you don't feel like a customer but more like a victim.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2016

Twice my bill was lost in the mail - makes me wonder - first time they got rid of the late charges but the second time they refused. I cancelled the card, paid the balance in full, asked for a confirmation number and they hung up on me. I had to call back and speak to a supervisor to get the number. Run from these people as fast as you can.

Original review: July 27, 2016

Very disappointed with First National Bank!!! They invite me to apply just to declined me!!! I have a very good credit and 100% payment history!!! But at the end I'm glad I wasn't approve after reading all the bad reviews!!! Thank you!!!

Original review: July 19, 2016

Bank is holding an ACH payment for 10 days for verification. I have always made my payments thru my American Express prepaid Blue Card. First, my other credit card companies take two days to credit my account and my credit limit is updated. This bank takes up to a week to credit my account and now a hold of 10 days has been placed on updating my information. I work with ACH payments and it does not take a week for a ACH payment to be received and processed. It does not take 10 days for it to come back "NSF" or any other reason. First National is taking advantage of its customers. The money is deducted from my account and balance when I confirm the transaction on American Express's website.

Original review: July 4, 2016

The company decrease my credit limit every time when my credit score goes down. I was never late with my payments, but they don't care. Every time you need a credit you don't have it. I went in store to buy some things. It's good that I am very punctual and checking my credit limit before I make purchases, but most people are not doing it. Very easy to get in trouble with these guys. The letter about reducing credit limit came 3 days later after they did it. I would not recommend anybody this credit card: First National Bank.

Original review: May 17, 2016

In December of 2014 I purchased well over $10,000 of items at Overstock.com, we were remodeling and it was Christmas. In early January 2015 three problems became obvious to us. First, Overstock sent items that I had not purchased. They were in my shopping cart, however I had not approved the actual purchase. These items were returned for credit without an issue. Second, a shipment was sent to ** not our home. This neighbor was away on holiday. When he came to our house we were not home. He left a note. When we saw the note it was too late. He stated he returned the items to Overstock. Third Overstock sent duplicate shipments. These shipments were returned and we were credited.

I spent at least 40 hours on the phone with Overstock to sort out all this mayhem. It was grueling! I spoke with everyone from customer service, to accounting managers, warehouse managers, PR managers, and so on. We went over emails shipping receipts, Fedex receipts. Finally all was sorted out. Every item that was not ordered or was a duplicated shipment was returned. All is well. Until about 6 to 8 week later. I receive my first of hundreds of calls from First Bankcard stating my account is overdue. Again I spend at least another 40 hours between Overstock, First Bankcard, my neighbor and my husband. Overstock stated on several occasions that all had been returned and accounted for. Essentially blaming First Bankcard for being a bad bill collector.

In March of 2016 First Bankcard sent me a letter saying I could just pay 75% of what I owe. What? I do not owe anything. So why would I pay anything. I will pay 75% of a zero balance. Nonetheless, First Bankcard continues to harass and threaten me. I am now at the point of feeling I need an outside government agency or an attorney. I have tried everything in my power to stop your threatening, harassing, incessant calls and letters.

However to no avail. I do not understand what type of scheme you are. I will no longer try to speak with you since this proves useless. I do not owe any money to Overstock. In fact they owe me for items I never received and paid for. The latest letter threatens to ruin my credit. We are retired living on a fixed budget. This type of threatening harassment is disgusting. WE DO NOT OWE OVERSTOCK. THAT BALANCE IS 0! Lastly we never have nor never will buy any item from Overstock.com again. This has been a nightmare!

Original review: April 10, 2016

This company is a fraud! Doing business with them will only hurt you. Steer clear.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2016

I applied for a Credit Card with FNBO in 2014, I was given a credit limit of 2,100. I used my card twice in 2014, and paid the full balance with autopay which was only like $60.00. I had some issues come up in January with the new house that I bought. I asked for a credit increase of 3,000 from FNBO which was approved. I went into the Autopay section to set it up again, the only option that I was given, was the full balance. Which was on the 1st of February, I went back in on the 8th of February to see what I had for Autopay and saw that it still said the full balance but this time gave me the option to put another amount which I did for $100.00 to come out on the 19th of February.

February 23rd my husband goes to get a sandwich and his debit card from our bank is declined. I check our account, and there is an autopay of $2,494.00 coming through from FNBO. I call them to ask what happened. They told me that because I changed the total after the billing cycle had processed that it wasn't changed to the 100.00. I said well my account is now overdrafted and I am getting charged an overdraft fee. They offered to fix the problem on the 24th because they weren't showing it in their system yet. So I call back and my bank has already kicked it back. The CS from FNBO said that everything should be fine now.

Now the 24th in the afternoon, the Autopay tries to come thru again for the same amount. I call and complain again to FNBO. They said that it will hit my account twice and that they could do nothing about it, but that this would be the last time. The 25th of February Guess What!! Again it tries to come thru my account. 3rd time I call CS and she said that she will get it fixed and will waive the fees that I am going to be charged. We will have to see what happens tomorrow. I will probably owe our bank 300.00 in overdraft fees by time FNBO gets their act together. I am taking my taxes and paying them off. I will never do business with them again. Worst Experience Ever.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2015

I have been with First National for years and they have always been wonderful to work with. They are easy to contact and their customer service agents are always friendly and knowledgeable. I only wish all of my other credit cards were this easy to work with. If you are looking for a real credit card that will help improve your credit rating I suggest this one.

Original review: Nov. 7, 2015

I applied for an $11k unsecured loan at 1st National Bank back in the heyday of easy credit (2006) and loose banking standards. When I opened the account, they sent me six years' worth of payment books which are used for submitting monthly payment checks on the loan. During the Financial Crisis in 2008, the bank mysteriously changed my account number on the loan, but the truly bizarre thing was they refused to give me the new account number! So I continued paying on the loan using the payment slips I was sent when the loan was opened. Fast forward a few years to the loan maturity date when I had finally made my last payment on the loan. It was then that I discovered the bank had tacked on an additional $2k in fees on my loan when the account number changed, and they had been charging me a total of $2k in interest on the fees since then!

Naturally I refused to pay as this seemed like obvious fraud to me. The bank didn't seem to mind, they just wrote off the bogus amount for reimbursement from the Fed, and ruined my FICO credit score. I've tried on a couple occasions the last several years to settle the disputed amount with the bank, but they have refused all reasonable offers. I feel like a chump for paying on the loan all those years, as the effect on my credit would have been no different had I not paid them at all...

Original review: Oct. 28, 2015

I have had a card with First National Bank of Omaha for several months. I never went over my credit limit, nor did I miss a payment. In fact, I am on automatic debit. My credit limit was decreased, causing my balance to available credit ratio to increase. This company does not treat its customers well. I have talked to several people at the company, and according to the employees, this is common practice, and there is nothing I can do. What a thing to do to a customer who has paid on time! I do not recommend this company.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2015

I am a very responsible person that rarely makes late payments. This specific CC makes it so hard for you to create an online account and or actually just give them money! I called customer service because my account was locked out... The jerk on the other end was so sassy! Clearly didn't care about his job or my experience. I will be canceling this CC asap!

Original review: Aug. 19, 2015

I have this credit card for about 4 months and make bimonthly payments to always have a clear balance and avoid CC fees/interest. They cashed my last payment and yet, they never gave me my credit line back. It never change even though my payment was posted on their website when I was checking my account. I had very little credit line available. I called and they said that they will clear that in 12 days. I stated that they have cashed my check from bank (pay electronically). "Why are you putting my credit line on hold? Put my credit line to where it should be." They say they need to verify the funds. "Okay, but you cashed it and have my money." Then they asked if there was anything they can help me with. Really?? They had no problem before and now they need to put a hold on??

Here's what they are doing. They were hoping I would use my card and go over the credit line availability they set it at and I would have to pay them the over the credit limit fee. There's one way they will screw you in making money on you. I will not be using this card again for sure. They are a very shady company and their employees also demonstrated that over the phone as they knew I was right but they sure like having their fun of trying to ruin your day. Not an ethical company for sure!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2015

Worse bank ever. I have a 710 credit score and have NEVER had a late payment in my life. Usually my three bureau score is 800+ but we are building on to our house and utilized special offers on our other big credit cards. We have 0% interest for 18 months with a 70k credit limit. We took advantage of that to build our addition and will move over the balance to a HELOC closer to the offers expiring. I have always paid my monthly bill off with FNBO. I have not used the card in 4 months. I get a letter stating they have cancelled my card and the reason was "Utilization of revolving accounts too high" and "Accounts owed on revolving accounts is too high". WTF??? This bank is a joke. They want customers like me! DO NOT BANK WITH THEM. THEY CARE LESS ABOUT THE CUSTOMER!

First National Bank of Omaha Company Information