1.11/5
Based on 65 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Omaha, NE

Over 150 years old, First National Bank was founded by two pioneers, Herman and Augustus Kountze in 1857 serving Omaha and the surrounding communities. The pioneers who founded First National Bank did so in the spirit of innovation and commitment to customer service. Today, this sixth generation family- owned business has become the largest privately owned banking company in the United States, with locations in seven states and more than 6.6 million customers across the country.

For questions about your account, please call Customer Service. Remember to never disclose your account information on any social network.

View More View More

67 First National Bank of Omaha Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

There is a membership renew $59 charge in my recent statement. Since I never used this card for a year, I called customer service to cancel CC and close account. The customer service told me that I have to pay next year membership, otherwise can't close account. What, this is the only credit card company I know that you can't cancel your CC without pay renew membership. The customer service told me that on previous month statement FRONT page has a written "Importance Message" to info me the renew fee.

I looked the previous month statement and only saw the front page "Importance Message" tell me that "zero balance and no need to pay". After detailed examine, It did have a "very very" small print important message on the bottom of second page on renew member fee. Who are reading the second misc page if my balance is zero. Also the second page doesn't look like the statement. I expressed my concerns to several customer service and only got the same greedy answer: "Pay the renew membership then you can cancel account." What kind of credit card company, only wants money. I am going to report this greedy company to Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

So I happen to check my CS today and saw a nearly 50 point drop. I start looking and see a huge decrease in my credit limit and not high balance. I then call on my First Bank card from Omaha Bank which is my Speedway MasterCard. They then tell me I had 5 late payments which I have zero. Then said I had too young of credit. Said my oldest card is not old enough. It's 12.5 years. Then said I only make the minimum. False. I make 2 payments per month. One the first week, one the 3rd or 4th right before it's due. They then said, "Your last payment was Jan 24th." Again I do not have any lates. My bill is due the 25th each month. I told them to change it back to what it was as it now have screwed up my CS and they said no.

I'm going to pay the last bill and close the card. Unreal how ridiculous this company is. I even said I'll fax them proof on every payment from the last 18 months to prove I'm always on time. Still nothing. Said I'll contact lawyers, the news, the BBB, and attorney general. They said, "If that what you feel the need to do then do that." I would love for an actual supervisor to contact me but I doubt it will happen.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I paid in full the balances on my 2 cards on July 1, 2018, long before the due date. Now, the company is trying to tell me that I owe finance charges for the date of that statement until I paid in full. NO, this is deceptive practice. The statement showed only a balance due and the date due, nothing about extra charges, finance, interest, or otherwise. After reading how other customers have been treated with very long histories with this company, I am only glad I found this out after a year. I no longer want to do business with them and will not pay these 2 charges as it is deceptive and was NEVER made clear. Shame on you First Bank! My other credit card companies treat me very well - you can keep your cards. I have shredded mine now and am done with you.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I’ve had my account with this bank for two years. I’ve never been late never or over my limit and make larger than minimum payments. I recently bought a house in California and to get utilities connected, new accounts and vendors resulted in 10 inquiries on my credit. My credit score dropped temporary because of the inquiries and expenses. By the way, on my credit I have never been late on a payment 100% on time for over 20 years. The drop was only for about three weeks. The bank lowered my credit card limit substantially.

They sent me a letter and said it was because of the recent inquiries and too many lines of credit. When I called customer service to explain they said there’s nothing they can do about it. Then each time I make a payment they just lowered the credit limit to keep the card maxed out which hurts credit. I’m in the process of just paying this off and being done with them. I’ve never seen such a terrible system that will make consumers hate them. Particularly when I’ve been a great customer for this company. Times are good for right now for me. I can imagine how will this is Bank treat customers in a financial crisis. It makes me think they must be getting ready to sell their portfolio or they’re in the process of merging with another bank. Basically I think they’re terrible institution and should shut down to protect the consumer from their deceptive and unethical business practices...

Original review: July 14, 2018

After banking and financing my mortgage for years with FNB, I applied for a HELOC to finance a landscaping project. Not only was the loan officer not helpful in helping me determine the best loan for me, I had to contact her to find out my status as I’d not heard back in 10 days. She told me my loan was not approved despite my stellar credit and payment history of never missing a payment. I felt, having been a customer for over 18 years might have allowed some more counsel on what other options might be available. I got nothing. My family plans on switching our 4 checking accounts and mortgage to another bank that values its customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First National Bank of Omaha?

Original review: June 13, 2018

I have 2 credit cards with the bank. I've had the older one for 2.5 years. One day I found out my credit limit was lowered from $14650 to $1000 without warning. I called and they told me it's computer generated. My credit is perfect. I have no bad stuff at all. My utilisation at the time was only $18. High credit score. I charged their card for over $13000 but after that I paid it off within the same statement. I sent a few faxes with no result so far. They said apply for a credit increase. Why would I do that when they may lower it next month? I wish they were reliable. I may just cancel my cards. Many options out there.

Original review: June 5, 2018

After years of having a credit card with First National Bank of Omaha, never being late with a payment, and a credit score that has steadily increased, they dropped my credit limit severely, with no warning. Completely unethical practices. They literally left me with $100 available credit. Do NOT use this bank.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Shawnee, thank you for the message. I apologize for your experience. Please call us directly at 1-888-530-3626 so your questions can be answered and we can assist you. We value you as a customer and certainly don’t want to waste your time. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: May 1, 2018

This bank and their credit card department used to be a partner of the NRA (National Rifle Association). Recently they apparently broke their partnership and are not renewing it. So that is the starting point to this conversation. You will see where I am going with this shortly. So, a year ago when I renewed my NRA membership, this card was offered. I applied and they gave me the card even with fair credit at best. I simply did not need the card as I am working to repair my credit and have been paying off balances and doing the right thing to get that moved up. Well, in the past year, I simply forgot about the card, and never actually used it.

Well, without warning, when I did need the card, it did not work, and when I arrived back from my travels there was a letter (not an email, no warning letters) that said the card and account was closed. The letter spouted about poor credit score and a number of other things that looking at my credit report were not actually correct. Heck, even the credit score they put on the paper was wrong (higher than it should have been by a few points). The funny part is that my credit score had gone up by over 135 points since they issued the card.

So I rang them, they said that it was because of those things and I said that they needed to review the credit report with me AND send me a copy of it since that was my right. They did not agree to either, but the supervisor finally told me that it was simply because I had not used the card and that the bank was not getting anything in return to keep the card open. They wanted their interest, and because I never used the card (which is a good thing, right?) ...they closed the account. When asked why they did not just say that and why they put all of the stuff in the letter that was untrue, he had no response.

When I pushed him to reinstate the card, it was finally brought to my attention that the card was not closed for either of those reasons at the heart of the matter (while either of those reasons could be good enough I suppose). The card was actually closed because they are no longer partnering with the NRA and are closing most of those accounts and asking anyone to reapply for a First BankCard that is not NRA branded. So, NRA, welcome to the show, hopefully you read this and see how losing them as a partner is not a bad thing! Anyways, avoid, there are better ways to get credit.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I always paid my balance with this card, opened in 2016, never used more than 30% of my credit limit, no late payments on ANY of my accounts in over 6 years. My credit score dropped to 638 due to recent credit activity when I received a home loan (temporary drop I was made aware of in advance) and this FNB of Omaha closed my account. Experian shows closed 04/17/18 and Equifax shows closed 04/01/18, BEFORE I closed on the purchase of my new home. I have yet to receive the letter of notification of account closure they claim to have sent.

I work in the lending field, have for 25 years, and I am fully versed on how credit works. This company appears to be preying on people trying to establish or rebuild credit, and when the credit isn’t being fully utilized (meaning they aren’t making enough money off the consumer) they use the excuse that a credit score drop and hard inquiries as a reason for account closure. STEER CLEAR OF THESE THIEVES.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I closed my account today 4/15/2018. The method of charging interest is a complete mysterious to me. For example. Supposedly, I was to get a 5.99 interest rate. However, in an attempt to pay off the account - My statement and a phone call to the customer service number indicated I had a balance of $271.00. I sent the entire amount. I called to confirm they received the payment. To my surprise, there was a balance of $27.71. I sent the $28.00. I called a third time to see if the $28.00 was received.

Again, I learned there was a balance of $5.34. I don't know what method of calculation this bank use but it is definitely not traditional. Keep in mind these payments were sent prior to the due date, made no purchase, and still I incurred additional charges despite paying the full amount stated. On the 3rd call statement balance according to the customer service rep was $5.34, I sent $6.00 and closed the account. This account with this bank cost me close to or over $100 in fees not related to purchases or late payment. Beware!

Original review: March 18, 2018

I had a dispute with a vendor over being charged for services not performed. I asked the credit card to put a hold on the payment. If I felt the card company had actually tried to help resolve my dispute I would not be writing this, but it was as if they predetermined to accept the vendor's claims and ignore mine. They put the charge through. Luckily I was able to resolve my situation through the Attorney General Consumer Frauds office.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

First National Bank of Omaha Gouges Customers - I was told in December of 2017 that purchases made at any store would hold a 0% interest rate until June of 2018. My wife and I used the card for most of our Christmas purchases based on this information to the tune of around $1,100. I just received my most up to date bill and found that I am paying 20+% interest on the very purchases I was told would be 0%. I called the customer service and was told there was nothing they could do about the issue other than lower my rate to 17.99%. I asked to hear the recorded conversation between myself and their representative and they said they could not allow that and that I would have to get a subpoena for that to happen. I recommend not using this institution for purchases, as I certainly won't in the future.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Horrible card, fees upon fees upon fees even when it's their fault. I made a payment which came back Account not found. I called them and corrected the account number, then processed the payment again. Came back account not found... twice. Called them again. Corrected the account number for billing purposes and had the rude lady read the numbers back to me and told her to take my payment over the phone... at this point they already closed the account because they could not bill me because it kept saying account not found... They got me for $90 in fees. DO NOT USE THIS BANK FOR YOUR CREDIT CARD NEEDS.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I received my cc balance of $2900.00 which included $56.00 of interest because I did not pay off the balance in full from the previous month. So I paid off the whole balance and guess what? The following month I still had a $51.00 interest payment even though I had paid off the entire balance the month before. WTF? That's just outrageous. My other credit card companies do not do this. I am definitely going to cancel this card.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I paid this credit card bank in full and looked online and saw a zero balance, I received a email 2 days later stating I owe $132.69, I called and told them I paid this balance in full and it showed a zero balance. They told me I had what is called "tail end finance charge", they would not remove it, I ended up paying the 132.69. After getting email, l did look at the account online, it showed the 132.69, but payment was $130.00, I guess so they could charge me interest the next month on $2.69, so sad, just a RIP OFF Credit Company, lesson learned. Never Used Them again...

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I had nothing but trouble from the beginning. I set up automatic withdrawal THREE times before it went through. When it finally did, payment wasn't withdrawn the first month, so I manually paid online. There was notification that it might take 2 months, as with everything I've ever set up automatic payments for--but it never has taken 2 month on anything else. Ever. This month, I decided to check my account on the day payment was due, and a) No payment had been made, b) Showed "no payment is pending," c) Showed an amount. It was in the evening of the payment due date, so I paid online, as Customer Service was not available, and I did not want late fees and late payment showing up on my credit score.

Two days later, I get notified that both payments were taken out. I called customer service, and a very wordy representative told me at best, I had to wait until payment cleared my bank and arrange a conference call between First Bankcard and a supervisor at my bank. I do not have time during the day to do this, so basically they advised me that I was screwed out of $400. A payment I would never have made, if the online account showed, as it should have, that my automatic payment was pending. A rather snippy "supervisor"--I'm sure it was just another CSR--told me the same. I closed my account immediately, but this should never have happened. I have been banking online since the 90s and never had an ordeal like this.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

This bank is totally overcharging the consumers!!! I had a MasterCard with them. Got my bill, paid it in full. Once the payment had posted and my account showed a zero balance I called and closed my account. Now I get another bill for $46. When I called they refused to credit my account. Someone needs to take a class action against them and their sister bank First National Bank of Omaha. I asked for the supervisor. They switched me over and conveniently they don't give out names. These banks are making a killing off of consumers!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I had the NRA Visa and paid account off in full, a few months later I get a bill for interest. I called and the lady was rude and cut me off while I was trying to speak, she basically said since I didn't pay off my bill every time I had unpaid interest which makes no sense since I "Paid Account in full". I guess there was interest hiding in a corner somewhere or something. This wasn't the first problem I had with them, stay away. They are crooks and will keep charging you with a $0.00 balance.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I had a M life Rewards Mastercard with them. First thing, I had a difficult time to log into their website because of the password policies they have. Second, once I log in I could not pay or do anything with my card because they suspect my card. I called customer service, entered complete cc no on the IVR and last 4 of my social too.

I spoke to one of their agents, she asked me a lot of questions which I answered correctly. She asked my DOB, complete cc no and last 4 of social again (I don't know why 2nd time), my mother's maiden name etc. After answering all of her questions, she told me that in order to unlock the acct, I have to go to a different bank and call from their no. to prove my identity through them. What kind of policy is that?

Which bank would speak on behalf of us? Hopeless, I went to BofA and told them my problem. They said they can't do it. I don't think any bank will verify your identity with a different bank just because you are a customer to them. I went to US Bank and asked them the same thing but no luck. I called the Customer service again but this time they told me to notarize DL, Social Security Card and Address proof and have to fax it to ** to unlock my account.

I had a Discover card, BofA travel card and other cards over the past 3 yrs and I never had these kinds of problems. So, I went to BofA and US Bank again to notarize just as they asked but their policies won't allow notarizing a DL. Who's at fault here? What kind of policies does this First bank card have? If policies are not user-friendly, then you won't grow as an organization. Remember, every time I call in Customer service I had to authenticate myself with their hell lot of questions before they speak anything about my account. This was the worst experience in my life. DON'T WORK WITH THIS BANK OF OMAHA in any way.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Horrible... no mercy. I was in an accident and all my credit cards went into charge off. Capital One reinstated my cards. Barclays card still closed the account after I paid but removed all of the bad credit histories. This card, I got a condescending attitude... no mercy regarding what happened to me even after I said I would pay in full so why pay if I am going to have to deal with it anyway. Stay AWAY!!!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

FNBO has the worst online banking services... period! Its online platform is the polar opposite of user-friendly. It is impossible to find basic online banking services, such as transferring funds from FNBO to another bank. I can't disentangle myself from this poor excuse of bank fast enough!

First National Bank of Omaha response

John, thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please give us a call at 1-877-932-3626 so that we can go over the different options in regards to transferring funds? We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: July 17, 2017

Money was taken out of my savings account by another person whose account numbers had two numbers off from mine. So at some point instead of the teller entering 33 they entered 88. To make matters worse the person's name wasn't even right and they still gave her the money. I called on Saturday and spoke with a customer service representative who assured me he would follow up on this and call me on Monday. Never heard from anyone thus I contacted the bank. They said there were no records or notes on the account.

The customer service representative promised me they would research and get back with me. Really angered that the error even occurred especially this day and age with security measures they have. What astounds me is the name is wrong yet they gave this woman the money. I don't understand that. I can go online and look at the image and clearly see where the problem is yet it will take them days to figure this out and return my money. Very dissatisfied. Will consider changing banks at this point.

Original review: May 22, 2017

Worst customer service experience ever. I have requested for nearly 2 years for paper statements because my email is not checked on a regular basis. I'm told it has been taken care of, but it never is. I went to go get a mortgage and the only blemish on my report is from this bank for late payments for a bill I haven't received. I ask if they can correct this and every time I get the late fee and I can't get it corrected from my credit report. It now has been reported twice the past 8 months as late and has probably affected the chances on me getting a mortgage on a home I've been constructing for the past 2 years. I'm now trying to figure out what to do with a house that I have a construction loan that I can't pay off because this company has singlehandedly ruined my credit!!! What can I possibly do???

Original review: April 25, 2017

One year in May of 2015, I've gotten approved for $9000! Right! It was great! Almost one year later I paid $500 every week for an entire month just for them to completely close my entire card out saying I had too many inquiries on my credit report! Are they kidding me? Nope, it's true! Not even just lowering it, completely closed me down, I was never late, always paid hundreds of dollars each month even when less than a hundred was due. I was furious!!!! Needless to say they didn't care and there was really no one to talk to. They wouldn't even give me the CEO's name and address and email, well they had no one for me to complain to to fight this. I still literally have 100% payment history on my credit report, and that's simply not good enough for them.

Oh wait here's another kicker... 2 months prior to this I had been approved from my personal bank and got a $5000 Visa card, which they closed just 2 months later after they closed my $9000 American Express card. OH how upset and angry I was because I have been working on my credit report for at least 5 years with no negatives then they do this!!!! I highly doubt I'll ever go back to them! Got them paid off quick too!!!!

Original review: April 20, 2017

I accidentally underpaid $3.- of the total due. On the next month's statement I was billed $55.- interest!!! Talked to an 'account specialist' and he reversed the charge, but didn't want to admit to the obvious over-charge.

Original review: March 28, 2017

I don't recommend this credit card. I have had the credit card for a long time with the same credit line. The statements are always late and you are charged a late fee. It have occurred more than once. I have received late statements after the account is due. They always blame the postal service. They fail to remove the late fee! Don't apply for this card, you will be paying additional funds before your account is paid in full.

Original review: March 27, 2017

Had a Visa card for about a billion years from FNB Omaha that I have not used for 3 years. Decided to take a vacation and put all items on it during the vacation so I could have them in one place and pay it off in 2-3 months. 2 Days into the vacation I had issues in checking into hotels. I called the Customer service to be informed by credit has been reduced from $7300 to $2000 overnight. Only explanation is a letter was sent to explain to my house (great!). Not what I want to hear on vacation. Horrible decision.

I have other credit so no biggie but WTF on making a decision like this in 24 hours. You lend money to make money so I will make sure this is paid off ASAP so they make as little as they can. Terrible business practice to a good customer. I requested a further credit increase and got an statement that said no, but we may increase it in a few months. Not what I call a solid bank in your corner. These guys will be shown the door when account is paid in full in the next 30 says. Bye Bye Omaha.

Original review: March 19, 2017

I've had a 1st Nat'l Bank of Omaha AMEX card for the past two years. Not used a lot, but this month I pulled it out to use for grocery shopping. Have generally carried a zero balance, and had a zero balance before this month. The other day I was in the grocery store, whipped out my card, and it was declined. Surprised because I knew [thought] I had lots of room on the card. Called the automated phone system from the store to find out what was going on. Was told that I only had something like $32 of available credit. So, screwed... I was buying $57 worth of groceries. Went home. Got a different credit card. Went back and bought my groceries.

When I got home I punched up the account and it said my credit limit was now something less than 50% of what it had been. Sent an e-mail, asked what the hell was going on. No response. Received a letter several days later confirming that my credit limit had been more than halved because, "...they didn't like the way I was handling my accounts." So, based on that bit of stupid arbitrariness, 1st Nat'l Bank of Omaha has rendered itself irrelevant in my life.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2016

My experience with First Bank Card of Omaha is terrible. Dealing with an issue with their online services was an error on their part which they would not own up to. A manager by the name of Dustin did everything he could do to put the blame on me instead of providing good customer service. The experience with dealer with him was terrible.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2016

First National Bank, Union Deposit, Harrisburg, PA - First National Bank is taking advantage of me as a customer because they know I live in Georgia and can't get to Pennsylvania to deal with the issue. I did a withdraw from the ATM of 300.00 and had a balance of $23 available. I did a few smaller transactions which left about thirteen dollars and some change in my account. I accidentally used the wrong card to pay my Sprint bill which was around $164. This would have put my account into a negative $150 plus $37 for overdraft which would have totaled around $187.

First National Bank claimed Sprint put a hold for the $164 which I received a text to my phone from Sprint the $164 was paid. Regardless of the hold or not, there was only one item which put my account into overdraft not two items. FNB charged me $74 and then not even 48 hours later, placed another $37 charge on me which placed my account into a -$261 status. This bank is robbing me and they need to be stopped.

First National Bank of Omaha Company Information

www.firstnational.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business