1.13/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Omaha, NE

Over 150 years old, First National Bank was founded by two pioneers, Herman and Augustus Kountze in 1857 serving Omaha and the surrounding communities. The pioneers who founded First National Bank did so in the spirit of innovation and commitment to customer service. Today, this sixth generation family- owned business has become the largest privately owned banking company in the United States, with locations in seven states and more than 6.6 million customers across the country.

For questions about your account, please call Customer Service. Remember to never disclose your account information on any social network.

View More View More

Looking for a mortgage lender?

First National Bank of Omaha Reviews

Original review: Oct. 17, 2019

I have had this credit card since 2014. I recently made a payment more than double the minimum amount. I have never been late. For unknown reason, an old checking account which has been closed was used for the payment! I gave FNBO the new checking account number months ago! FNBO has processed payments for months using the new account. I get a nasty gram from their credit department saying my account is in delinquent status. I have since used the new checking account for the alleged past due payment.

Then I get another letter stating since my account has been in delinquent status (although I paid their fees and extra for THEIR MISTAKE) and my credit limit would be reduced by $3,850.00! Now my credit limit has gone down 50 points! I have never missed a payment. I went to my credit union and did a balance transfer. I would not recommend this credit card to my worst enemy! They treat their card holders like criminals! IT WAS YOUR MISTAKE FNBO for using the old checking account which was deleted!

First National Bank of Omaha response

Amy, we're sorry to hear about your recent experience. Customer service is very important to us and we would like a chance to look into this. If you could please send a private response with more information, we will be sure to review. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2019

First National Bank of Omaha or First Bankard stated that they would no longer carry the NRA branded credit card and would not open any more accounts with that notoriously abominable organization (sarcasm), but now they have started closing our accounts due to a randomly picked credit report of our creditworthiness. BS. This is blatant lying to their consumers, my credit has never been better, in fact my credit has increased in the past two years since acquiring the NRA card! FNB of Omaha is a farce and just bending their knees to the leftist destruction of our country. So be it. Glad not to be affiliated with such trash. Moral of the story? Stay away from communist companies. Hope I haven't offended any person because of my inflammatory rhetoric, but the truth hurts and the leftist are without the truth. Just my two cents and an honest opinion. Take it or leave it. God Bless America.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

This is a horrible institution. I was recently a victim of identity theft, and this bank did a lousy job investigating my case, they did not investigate it clearly and are holding me responsible to pay fraudulent charges that have been made. Do not waste your time applying this card, the customer service department is extremely rude and you are never able to reach anyone normal. Save your money and apply elsewhere. They will do anything to make money off you, even when you have evidence and provide proof you have been a victim of identity theft. Very disappointed in the horrible service and way all this is being handled. Do yourself a favor and never apply or have dealings with this bank.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Mike, we're sorry to hear of this experience and would like a chance to look into this matter. Could you please private message us more information, including the full name as it appears on the card? We'll be happy to investigate this further. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2019

I would highly advise everyone stay away from this company and any cards marketed thru them. (check the bottom of the app for who issues) I have had several rounds with cards they issue, most often recommended to me via some platform. Each and every time a hard inquiry and then decline. My score stays at the high 780 to 820. Little debt, numerous accounts spanning 2 decades. Amex Plat no problem at all, numerous other high end cards. But these people at First National Omaha nothing but trouble. Before I ever accept or apply a card I check if it is connected to First National Omaha. Toss it. I even had a TCF prescreen app they sent me. Declined. They will post their standard BS reply to this so sorry, please call yada yada. Do yourself a favor. Stay back.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Joseph, we're sorry to hear about your experience and appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We value your opinions, and take all correspondence seriously. We will make sure to pass this feedback on. Thank you.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2019

I received a call apparently from the head of mortgage lending to see if I was interested exploring refinancing since interest rates are low. I said “sure” and he said he would have a personal lender call me with details. This person called and discussed the details. I said I wasn’t really interested in refinancing but agreed to look over the outline if he ran some figures and showed me all the data. The next day I received the email with the details, I talked them over with my wife, and we decided that we weren’t interested.

On the next day this person called back and asked what we thought. I told him we weren’t interested, and that we would just throw extra money at the principal to pay our mortgage off early, and he got rude with me. He said “These interest rates are really low," however our mortgage is at 5.25% and the rate he was offering was 4%. I’m sorry but 1-1/4% isn’t “really low!" He finished the conversation by saying it didn’t make much financial sense to not refinance, and ended the call. I am the customer so don’t call me, solicit money, then get rude because I refuse. Thumbs down!

First National Bank of Omaha response

Dave, this certainly isn’t the experience that we strive for and we're sorry to hear about your recent experience. We would like a chance to look into this. If you would like to send us a private message with additional information, we’ll be sure to fully investigate this matter for you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First National Bank of Omaha?

Original review: Sept. 29, 2019

A couple of years ago, I received a pre-approved Amex card form from FNBO. Since I already had everything else (Visa, MC, Discover), I figured, "Why NOT get an Amex?". Since many smaller businesses don't take Amex, I really didn't get any use out of it, but since closing an account can at least temporarily hurt your credit, I decided to keep it open, even after they refused even a modest increase of my already modest ($2,600) credit limit. On Sept. 27th, I got an email from Credit Karma in which they asked "Did you close this account?" It was the first time I'd heard of FNBO's intent to close my account for "lack of use".

Now, this is far from my first experience with credit cards and usually, if a bank feels that an account isn't being used enough to keep it open, they usually send a letter stating as much, and they usually put something like, "Please use this card within 30/60 days" to encourage the customer to use the damned thing. Hell - I got a letter like that from Discover, in which they doubled my credit limit, but also encouraged me use the card within 60 days or face closure. THAT makes sense. After all, a closed account benefits no one and pretty much eliminates the possibility of a bank making one nickel of interest off a customer.

However, to summarily close an account without any such conditions or proper notice is both insulting AND bad business. I spoke with a rep at FNBO who could do little but apologize and then took my number with the promise that a supervisor would call me to discuss the case. True to his word, a supervisor called me the next morning, but couldn't do anything other than repeat the earlier apologies, and agreeing that it didn't make any sense.

Short term, this sort of thing will probably knock my FICO down a few precious points. However, I can always fill out one of those pre-approved AMEX forms I still get in the mail or get another card with another bank with a much higher limit, thereby increasing my overall score in the long run. The point is, this sort of practice is out and out b.s., bad business and serves only to all but guarantee that people like me will not only never have another card with this bank, but that we'll let everyone we know to avoid it like the plague. Oh - and last I checked, my average credit score is about 775, so it's not like I'm particularly desperate or something. FNBO - ignore this at your own peril.

First National Bank of Omaha response

David, we apologize that your recent experience with our bank has been frustrating. Please know that we value your feedback as a key tool to help us learn ways to improve. Customer service is very important to us and we will make sure to pass this on. Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2019

I got a credit card. After use I paid down the balance by $500 because they said I had too much credit. They took the 500 and lower my credit limit by $500. I had a horrible time getting on their website. Then they close my account. I said fine I will make payments of x amount. They sent me a agreement which I signed. And started paying. After about 7 months I get a letter. They're suing me because the agreed amount wasn't enough. HAD NO IDEA THIS WAS COMING..BEWARE. LOOKING INTO SUING FOR BREACH OF CONTRACT!!!!

First National Bank of Omaha response

John, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience and would like to look into this. Can you please send a private response with your full name? Thank you.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

Do not use this bank. They have no control over fraud. Completely sabotaged our payroll and then when tried to call and put the account on hold that was fraudulently set up by another person they said NO! They wouldn't freeze the account. What type of bank does that? This bank is full of thieves... That's it.. Don't use them EVER!! Not for banking, not for credit, not for ANYTHING. If you value your monies you will leave this bank out of your equation!!

First National Bank of Omaha response

Kelly, we're sorry to hear about your recent experience with our bank. We would like a chance to look into this. Could you please send us a private message with more information? We'll be sure to investigate this further. Thank you.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2019

I have been a member since 2016 and never missed a payment. They have raised my credit limit. They out of the blue lock the card stating I have too much debt. Like I stated I have never missed a payment and most of my debt is I bought a house. They said they will review my debt in 6 months and decide if they will let me use the card again or close the account. From what I understand is closing of accounts hurts your credit even more. I just can't understand if I have been a good customer and never missed a payment why you would do something like this. When I called they wouldn't work with me at all or listen to me that 90% of debt is a mortgage. All they would say is we will review in 6 months and decide. Very frustrating when you're a good customer.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Dan, we're sorry to hear that your recent experience with our bank has been frustrating and appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We value your opinions, and take all correspondence seriously. We will make sure to pass this feedback on.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

Good interest rate on savings, 100 times more than local offices here, inconvenient of course that it takes a day or longer to deposit, transfer funds, or withdraw (into another bank). Weekends and holidays exaggerate the timing too.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Thank you for the positive feedback, Don! We appreciate the five star review and you for taking the time to leave it. We’re always exploring how we can improve the banking experience for our customers. We will make sure to pass this on.

First National Bank of Omaha Company Information