Omaha, NE

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.52/5

Over 150 years old, First National Bank was founded by two pioneers, Herman and Augustus Kountze in 1857 serving Omaha and the surrounding communities. The pioneers who founded First National Bank did so in the spirit of innovation and commitment to customer service. Today, this sixth generation family- owned business has become the largest privately owned banking company in the United States, with locations in seven states and more than 6.6 million customers across the country.

For questions about your account, please call Customer Service. Remember to never disclose your account information on any social network.

First National Bank of Omaha Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First National Bank of Omaha?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about First National Bank of Omaha?

Original review: Feb. 1, 2021

I have banked with FNBO for 20 years and love their bankers. Always a very kind staff however as a small business, their PPP process has been an abomination, last in line, and they leave you to figure out everything on their portal on your own. Not one person is assigned to you. Now, almost a year later, it is still the same vague unattended process. Every other person I know has had round 1 fully forgiven already with other banks, no word on mine, and most are approved for round 2 from other banks, still waiting here as well. They also had a dedicated human they could call that guided them to expedite the process for them. FNBO has responded to our emails with a different person each and every time. Nothing personal has been indicated through this and we've been last in line every step of the way. It's already stressful for small businesses, this bank has made it more complicated and more stressful.

I opted to pursue my PPP with FNBO over Chase and Square due to my history with banking here and aiming to support a small bank, but they are making me regret it. The 1st round in the spring I gave them the benefit of the doubt since it was chaos, but it's the same tune behind the times of every other bank still almost a year later. My next pandemic/emergency will see my small business working with another bank. Once this blows over, I am relocating all of my personal and business accounts. It's unfortunate, I liked them up until but this is about business and money in the end.

First National Bank of Omaha response

We're sorry to hear about your recent experience. Customer service is very important to us. If you would like to send us a private message with more information including your full name, we would be happy to look into this matter for you. Customers can also visit https://www.fnbo.com/pages/coronavirus-updates/business/#tab5 for options in requesting support. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2020

This company has the worst reviews online and I know why. This company sold one of my accounts, I accidently sent a payment to this company for that account. They have my money, they wont look it up and they wont send it back. The "customer service" will hang up on you. I am going to have to hire an attorney and sue this company. STAY AWAY.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Terry, we're sorry to hear about your recent experience. Customer service is very important to us. If you would like to send us a private message with more information, we would be happy to look into this matter for you. Thank you.

Get buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2020

I normally decline any credit card offers when checking out at a retail store. Scheels and First Bankcard reminded me why I don't apply. My wife and I were checking out and they offered $50 off so I applied for a Scheels card. Short app but then it's unable to be processed. They further explain it does not mean you're denied just "they want to look into it a little further". No phone calls and a few weeks later I get a letter in the mail saying they are unable to process due to "Identify info does not verify".

So I then called the clowns at First Bankcard (First National Bank of Omaha) and talked to a real pleasant CSR (sarcasm). She explained the credit bureau reported an address out of state in Missouri. I said yes, that is one of our condos. I said this process is laughable as my credit score is near the top of the chart. I asked if they were going to issue the card or not. Her response was the request was denied. Very well. I didn't need the card and will make sure First National Bank of Omaha will never have my business, ever.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Eric, we're sorry to hear about any inconvenience you may have experienced. Customer service is very important to us and we appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We will make sure to pass this feedback on.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2020

My payment record etc with FNBO is PERFECT. They reduced my credit limit without notice and it dinged my Credit Score. Probably upset that I use my card to pay the lower rate. I have two rates. Horrible customer service!

First National Bank of Omaha response

Rozain, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience. You should expect to receive soon a letter from us with a clear explanation in regards to this matter. We value your opinions, and take all correspondence seriously. We will make sure to pass this feedback on.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2020

My Scheels Visa credit limit was just reduced from $7500 to $550. I have NO idea why. I make all my debt payments on time for substantially more than minimum. There was no warning or question. No reason.

First National Bank of Omaha response

David, we're sorry to hear about any inconvenience you may have experienced. Please call us at 1-800-652-5613 so your questions can be answered and we can assist you. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

Wish I didn't have to give any stars. They just, with zero warning, dramatically reduced my credit limit down to $500! As we all know, this kind of thing has a rippling impact across a person's credit profile. I just think what if they do this to someone who's in the process of trying to get a mortgage or something??? I've never had a late payment (with them or anyone for that matter). Apparently they are doing this to many people. I sincerely hope this very bad business practice puts them out of business. Utterly shameful. They're approval requirements are similar to many other cards, cards that are very good and don't do this type of scandalous garbage, go with them instead. I only wish I would've read reviews before I let my bank talk me into applying...

First National Bank of Omaha response

Michael, we're sorry to hear about any inconvenience you may have experienced. Customer service is very important to us and we appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We will make sure to pass this feedback on.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

Lowered my credit limit by 7k with out any warning or notice, or reason other than internal review, never missed One payment! Had I known the Quick trip card was serviced by them I would not have gotten it either, it lowered my credit score 42 points. Will likely will cause there internal review to lower limit again. They don't care about anyone or anything but the Almighty dollar. They don't care how they affect anyone, sure they will post a reply that customer service is important to them, but has anyone every received a call or anything from them explaining there reason, don't think so. I am 68 years old my oldest account on my credit is 42 years and guess what not ONE MISSED PAYMENT on my credit report!!

First National Bank of Omaha response

John, we're sorry to hear about any inconvenience you may have experienced. Please know that these credit limit changes were made universally, not based on individual credit criteria. If you would like to speak to someone in regards to these changes, please call the number on the back of your card. Thank you.

Original review: July 31, 2020

I have been a Sun Country Airlines credit card (serviced by First Bankcard, a division of First National Bank of Omaha) holder for six years. The card has a $69 annual fee, and provides limited discount benefits with the airline (they were better when I first signed up for the card), and also accumulates points (miles) based on purchases.

When I signed up for the card, one benefit was a 5,000 point anniversary bonus ($50 value) with $10,000 in annual spending. A few years ago, that benefit was increased to 10,000 points ($100 value), but only for card holders who signed up after the date of the change. Long-time customers got the short-end of the change, as they flat-out refused to change my account over to the new account terms. I was told that the only way to get the 10,000 point anniversary bonus was to close my account, then re-apply (damaging my credit score in the process). Fine, their card, their rules, but not customer-friendly at all. Real big-boy banks can do product changes without a problem, FNBO does their best to not help their customers. Strike one.

I tried to get the annual fee reduced, eliminated, or offset with a point bonus to try and offset the inequality between my benefits as a long-time customer and the benefits offered to more recent customers. No way, no how, not possible, said FNBO. Strike two. I do paperless billing, so I was not aware of my annual fee posting until after it did. I paid off my card except for the $69 annual fee, and called within 20 days of the annual fee being posted. I politely requested to have the annual fee removed and to close my card. I was informed that since a transaction had posted after my annual fee posted (even though I had since paid that off), that they could close my account, but there would be no refund of the annual fee. In other words, I'd be stuck paying the fee for a year for 20 days worth of use.

Literally EVERY other credit card company will refund the annual fee when closing an account within 30 days of the annual fee posting. First Bankcard will not, since they're out to do everything they can to give their customers the short end of the stick. I spoke to a supervisor who agreed that there was no way to get the annual fee refunded. Strike three.

This is a third-rate bank with the most customer-UNfriendly policies in the business. Avoid them at all costs. Also pay no attention to their canned reply "apologizing for the inconvenience" -- they don't care at all, they just want your money. The fact that every review here is one-star should be a pretty good indication of their level of service.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Kevin, we're sorry to hear about any inconvenience you may have experienced. Customer service is very important to us and we appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We will make sure to pass this feedback on for review.

Original review: July 24, 2020

First National Bank of Omaha just ruined me after many, many years of always paying on time. Because of Covid 19, I had requested a skip payment. They granted 1, but continued to add interest. Since my restaurant was closed down for almost 2 months, I called before the next payment and explained my situation. I asked them to grant me 1 more skip payment, which they denied. They said that they only grant 1 per year. I pointed out my excellent history with them, and explained that with the Pandemic, that I was still in a financial crunch, I really needed 1 more month. Again they denied.

When it was time for my payment, I made a partial payment. They followed up with a collection call, and I explained my situation again. Telling them since I am in Florida, the worst state now for Covid 19, that my finances were still in poor shape. I also mentioned that my State Farm Bank and Wells Fargo were much more understanding by, not only allowing 4 months of no min payments, but also no interest. The lady told me that they were going to have a new Covid 19 plan in place by the next day and she would call me. This was last Friday. I received 3 calls from them, but each time I answered, it would disconnect me. On Sunday, they reported me to the credit bureau as late. On Monday, I finally got a call from another rep. I explained that the previous rep had promised to call me on Friday and never did. She was supposed to have a plan to help me. The new rep checked my history and confirmed my story. She said that she would get back to me.

Next thing I get is a report from Equifax saying that they place my entire account as past due. This caused my credit to drop 72 points! One of my credit cards, with no balance, and also paid in full each time canceled my account. This was my emergency card for health care. This bank has shown no special care during these troubled times, and I want everyone to know how poorly they treat their customers during a global pandemic. Every other bank has shown a heart, but not First National Bank of Omaha. My final words to First National Bank of Omaha, understand that people all over this world are having serious financial and health burdens thrust on them. Make a plan to help them, as banks were assisted years ago when they were in trouble....remember the bail out??? Your lack of good customer service is regrettable, as another month would have been a lifesaver.

First National Bank of Omaha response

William, we're sorry to hear about any inconvenience you may have experienced. Customer service is very important to us. If you would like to send us a private message with your full name, we would be happy to look into this matter for you. Thank you.

Original review: June 18, 2020

Our available credit was reduced from $7,200 to $500. I called and the manager told me they had reviewed the account and it was because we paid the bill in full, twice, and had, months ago, used the cash advance service. There is nothing wrong with my credit score. She told me there was no one above her that I could discuss this with. We recently refinanced our mortgage and are no longer with FNBO. Don't know if this is retaliation or just stupidity on their part.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Melissa, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience. Credit increases and decreases are based on customers’ credit as a whole. Every account is carefully evaluated to establish a credit limit consistent not only with our interests, but the interests of the customer as well. We will make sure to pass your feedback on. Thank you.

First National Bank of Omaha Company Information