1.15/5
Based on 74 reviews that contain star ratings

Omaha, NE

Over 150 years old, First National Bank was founded by two pioneers, Herman and Augustus Kountze in 1857 serving Omaha and the surrounding communities. The pioneers who founded First National Bank did so in the spirit of innovation and commitment to customer service. Today, this sixth generation family- owned business has become the largest privately owned banking company in the United States, with locations in seven states and more than 6.6 million customers across the country.

For questions about your account, please call Customer Service. Remember to never disclose your account information on any social network.

View More View More

76 First National Bank of Omaha Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: Oct. 15, 2018

Customer service suck. I was trying to cancel my insurance plan and was given the runaround. The manager was like I just click a button and it goes away - called in months prior and it was never done... horrible service.

Recommended Response:

Rosie, so sorry to hear about your recent experience with First National Bank. We appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. Your feedback will be used to help improve our service. Our goal is to exceed our customers’ expectations and hope you will continue to contact us with any comments or suggestions you may have. I will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

I applied for a Scheels Visa and was declined with good credit. They are a waste of time. After seeing complaints about the card and finding out it was through First National, I may have been saved a lot of headache. They have earned their abysmal rating on Consumer Affairs. Don't waste your time with this outrageous, left leaning Anti American company.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2018

Called today to cancel Sun Country VISA (really First Bankcard) since in the latest Sep Statement (due Sep 20) they posted $69.00 Annual Fee. Well hold on!

They will not cancel the card until I pay $69 annual fee. But that's the reason I am canceling the card!? This is the only credit card as far as I know, that you can not cancel without paying upcoming renewal fee which just posted on your account. I am not even late. They are hiding behind small print posted in previous statement, good luck finding it, where they claim that they issued "renewal notice". This may be legal but in my mind this is highly unethical. What else to expect from such a company. So to say it simply - stay away!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I did my research and FNBO Direct was the top rated bank in the country. I created an account and the first year or so everything went well. I thought that it would be wise to have all of our $ in one bank so I convinced my partner that we should move our money there. We opened an account for him only and a joint account for the house/bills/etc. It has been an absolute nightmare! We deposited our work checks to the account and had to wait a week for them to be available and when I called, I was told up to 10 business days. WHAT? Even after checks from the same payor were deposited.

Setting up the account was ridiculous as well. I was an established member with 2 account and nothing negative. And yet I had to fill out an application as though I had no history with the bank. And I could not simply transfer & from my account to the new one. A third party handled the transfer from an FNBO account to an FNBO account. How is that convenient or customer friendly?

I just called to ask about our "joint" account. The only thing that is joint is the money. Bills that are pending & payees are not visible to both of us. Why a pending payment is not visible makes absolutely NO sense unless of course it's a way for the bank to make $ on overdraft fees. Payees need to be entered twice - under the separate logins. NOT customer friendly. NOT convenient. NOT worth your time or effort. This company has lost sight of why they were rated well. Thought FNBO was different... Now it's NOT.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

I've been with this bank for several years now and never missed a payment on any of my accounts and every 6 mo they almost double my limits. Great bank. I started out with two cards with $5300 limit and now its $15000.00 and the other card which is a Amex and it started out as $8000.00 and now it's $ 24000.00. You take care of your accounts and they will reward you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First National Bank of Omaha?

Original review: Sept. 10, 2018

Have used this card for years and never ever missed a payment. Was hospitalized and missed ONE payment - got a letter informing me of a credit line decrease from $12100 to $3950 which is only $5 short of what I owe on this card. Customer service was no help although I made a payment - more than what was due including the past due amount and a $26 late fee! Yes, American Express should drop this bank fast!!!

First National Bank of Omaha response

Joanne, thank you for sharing your experience with us. We would be pleased to review your account with you if you believe an increased credit line is justified. Please give us a call at 1-888-530-3626 where representatives are available 24 hours a day. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

I immediately contacted First National Bank of Omaha's Credit Card Department to inform them that a realtor used my credit card and charged unauthorized charges to my credit card. They told me to wait until I received my billing statement. After which I contacted them again and filed a dispute regarding being overcharged and gave them full details. They reversed the charges then later charged them back to my credit card account. I spent several hours on the phone with them to inform them that I did not authorize those charges.

The merchant doesn't have anything with my signature neither a recording of me authorizing the charges. They still continue to hold me accountable stating that I did not respond after the merchant disagreed with the charge back to them and a conference call was done with me, FNBO Credit Card Dispute Department, and the merchant. They documented that I clearly asked the merchant what proof of a signature or verbally did they have of me authorizing the charge. The merchant hung up the phone which proves that the merchant is not being truthful.

They are still insisting that I pay them the $55.00 charge that I never approved as if I'm the culprit. They informed me that if I refused to pay them the $55.00 charge that there would be consequences. In my opinion they believe a shady merchant over me and I'm their loyal customer. Shows how much they value me as a loyal customer therefore I prefer to cancel my credit card and not settle for a company where I am tolerated and not appreciated. If FNBO Credit Card Department continues to insist I pay the $55.00 I will take further actions when they show no consideration that I have paid them over $10,000.00 multiple times in legitimate charges and they unjustly treat me as if I don't matter.

It's time to let them go and get rid of them if they prefer to be in collusions with a shady merchant. No ethical or professional credit card company would treat any customer in such a nefarious way. Perhaps the Attorney General of Consumer Affairs or whomever deems necessary needs to be informed and investigate First National Bank of Omaha's Credit Card Department.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

This company should be dropped by American Express. Their customer service is horrible to the point that if you trust them to do a job right they will surely screw it up and then defend themselves. If you want to pay off your card they will not allow it and quote you their disclaimer. BEWARE! In my case I paid them $5800 and change to pay off my card as I have family from out of the country coming to visit, I was moving to another state from a home I had lived in for 16 years and starting a new job.

I was overwhelmed and wanted my credit cards paid off. I went to my Post office 3 months later only to find that they sent me to a collector! Now I am unable to get a good loan. They would not reverse the damage. I believe I spoke to a person in the Philippines who had the compassion and of a snail. I called numerous times and one rep told me that the very night that I paid my balance off with calculated interest they slapped me with a late fee. How in Sam Hell does that happen? I have an attorney looking into this now. I will not let this go.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I don't know if it is because this company is unethical, incompetent or both, but here are the reasons I have closed my account and recommending that nobody do business with this company. About three months after I got the account my statements stopped coming in the mail. I did NOT sign up for electronic delivery because it's for my business and I like to have a paper record. So I was late with one payment ($39.00 late fee plus interest) because of that. After complaining they suggested I signed up for "auto pay". I followed their instructions precisely to do that. Next month, I get a call that the card is "past due". The auto pay never took effect. Another $39.00 late charge and interest. At that point I told them I was paying off the card and cancelling the account. I suspect that they do this so that they can collect interest and late fees since I rarely carry a balance on credit cards, the interest rates are far too high.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2018

There is a membership renew $59 charge in my recent statement. Since I never used this card for a year, I called customer service to cancel CC and close account. The customer service told me that I have to pay next year membership, otherwise can't close account. What, this is the only credit card company I know that you can't cancel your CC without pay renew membership. The customer service told me that on previous month statement FRONT page has a written "Importance Message" to info me the renew fee.

I looked the previous month statement and only saw the front page "Importance Message" tell me that "zero balance and no need to pay". After detailed examine, It did have a "very very" small print important message on the bottom of second page on renew member fee. Who are reading the second misc page if my balance is zero. Also the second page doesn't look like the statement. I expressed my concerns to several customer service and only got the same greedy answer: "Pay the renew membership then you can cancel account." What kind of credit card company, only wants money. I am going to report this greedy company to Better Business Bureau.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

So I happen to check my CS today and saw a nearly 50 point drop. I start looking and see a huge decrease in my credit limit and not high balance. I then call on my First Bank card from Omaha Bank which is my Speedway MasterCard. They then tell me I had 5 late payments which I have zero. Then said I had too young of credit. Said my oldest card is not old enough. It's 12.5 years. Then said I only make the minimum. False. I make 2 payments per month. One the first week, one the 3rd or 4th right before it's due. They then said, "Your last payment was Jan 24th." Again I do not have any lates. My bill is due the 25th each month. I told them to change it back to what it was as it now have screwed up my CS and they said no.

I'm going to pay the last bill and close the card. Unreal how ridiculous this company is. I even said I'll fax them proof on every payment from the last 18 months to prove I'm always on time. Still nothing. Said I'll contact lawyers, the news, the BBB, and attorney general. They said, "If that what you feel the need to do then do that." I would love for an actual supervisor to contact me but I doubt it will happen.

Original review: July 19, 2018

I paid in full the balances on my 2 cards on July 1, 2018, long before the due date. Now, the company is trying to tell me that I owe finance charges for the date of that statement until I paid in full. NO, this is deceptive practice. The statement showed only a balance due and the date due, nothing about extra charges, finance, interest, or otherwise. After reading how other customers have been treated with very long histories with this company, I am only glad I found this out after a year. I no longer want to do business with them and will not pay these 2 charges as it is deceptive and was NEVER made clear. Shame on you First Bank! My other credit card companies treat me very well - you can keep your cards. I have shredded mine now and am done with you.

Original review: July 14, 2018

I’ve had my account with this bank for two years. I’ve never been late never or over my limit and make larger than minimum payments. I recently bought a house in California and to get utilities connected, new accounts and vendors resulted in 10 inquiries on my credit. My credit score dropped temporary because of the inquiries and expenses. By the way, on my credit I have never been late on a payment 100% on time for over 20 years. The drop was only for about three weeks. The bank lowered my credit card limit substantially.

They sent me a letter and said it was because of the recent inquiries and too many lines of credit. When I called customer service to explain they said there’s nothing they can do about it. Then each time I make a payment they just lowered the credit limit to keep the card maxed out which hurts credit. I’m in the process of just paying this off and being done with them. I’ve never seen such a terrible system that will make consumers hate them. Particularly when I’ve been a great customer for this company. Times are good for right now for me. I can imagine how will this is Bank treat customers in a financial crisis. It makes me think they must be getting ready to sell their portfolio or they’re in the process of merging with another bank. Basically I think they’re terrible institution and should shut down to protect the consumer from their deceptive and unethical business practices...

Original review: July 14, 2018

After banking and financing my mortgage for years with FNB, I applied for a HELOC to finance a landscaping project. Not only was the loan officer not helpful in helping me determine the best loan for me, I had to contact her to find out my status as I’d not heard back in 10 days. She told me my loan was not approved despite my stellar credit and payment history of never missing a payment. I felt, having been a customer for over 18 years might have allowed some more counsel on what other options might be available. I got nothing. My family plans on switching our 4 checking accounts and mortgage to another bank that values its customers.

Original review: June 13, 2018

I have 2 credit cards with the bank. I've had the older one for 2.5 years. One day I found out my credit limit was lowered from $14650 to $1000 without warning. I called and they told me it's computer generated. My credit is perfect. I have no bad stuff at all. My utilisation at the time was only $18. High credit score. I charged their card for over $13000 but after that I paid it off within the same statement. I sent a few faxes with no result so far. They said apply for a credit increase. Why would I do that when they may lower it next month? I wish they were reliable. I may just cancel my cards. Many options out there.

Original review: June 5, 2018

After years of having a credit card with First National Bank of Omaha, never being late with a payment, and a credit score that has steadily increased, they dropped my credit limit severely, with no warning. Completely unethical practices. They literally left me with $100 available credit. Do NOT use this bank.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Shawnee, thank you for the message. I apologize for your experience. Please call us directly at 1-888-530-3626 so your questions can be answered and we can assist you. We value you as a customer and certainly don’t want to waste your time. We look forward to hearing from you.

Original review: May 1, 2018

This bank and their credit card department used to be a partner of the NRA (National Rifle Association). Recently they apparently broke their partnership and are not renewing it. So that is the starting point to this conversation. You will see where I am going with this shortly. So, a year ago when I renewed my NRA membership, this card was offered. I applied and they gave me the card even with fair credit at best. I simply did not need the card as I am working to repair my credit and have been paying off balances and doing the right thing to get that moved up. Well, in the past year, I simply forgot about the card, and never actually used it.

Well, without warning, when I did need the card, it did not work, and when I arrived back from my travels there was a letter (not an email, no warning letters) that said the card and account was closed. The letter spouted about poor credit score and a number of other things that looking at my credit report were not actually correct. Heck, even the credit score they put on the paper was wrong (higher than it should have been by a few points). The funny part is that my credit score had gone up by over 135 points since they issued the card.

So I rang them, they said that it was because of those things and I said that they needed to review the credit report with me AND send me a copy of it since that was my right. They did not agree to either, but the supervisor finally told me that it was simply because I had not used the card and that the bank was not getting anything in return to keep the card open. They wanted their interest, and because I never used the card (which is a good thing, right?) ...they closed the account. When asked why they did not just say that and why they put all of the stuff in the letter that was untrue, he had no response.

When I pushed him to reinstate the card, it was finally brought to my attention that the card was not closed for either of those reasons at the heart of the matter (while either of those reasons could be good enough I suppose). The card was actually closed because they are no longer partnering with the NRA and are closing most of those accounts and asking anyone to reapply for a First BankCard that is not NRA branded. So, NRA, welcome to the show, hopefully you read this and see how losing them as a partner is not a bad thing! Anyways, avoid, there are better ways to get credit.

Original review: April 21, 2018

I always paid my balance with this card, opened in 2016, never used more than 30% of my credit limit, no late payments on ANY of my accounts in over 6 years. My credit score dropped to 638 due to recent credit activity when I received a home loan (temporary drop I was made aware of in advance) and this FNB of Omaha closed my account. Experian shows closed 04/17/18 and Equifax shows closed 04/01/18, BEFORE I closed on the purchase of my new home. I have yet to receive the letter of notification of account closure they claim to have sent.

I work in the lending field, have for 25 years, and I am fully versed on how credit works. This company appears to be preying on people trying to establish or rebuild credit, and when the credit isn’t being fully utilized (meaning they aren’t making enough money off the consumer) they use the excuse that a credit score drop and hard inquiries as a reason for account closure. STEER CLEAR OF THESE THIEVES.

Original review: April 16, 2018

I closed my account today 4/15/2018. The method of charging interest is a complete mysterious to me. For example. Supposedly, I was to get a 5.99 interest rate. However, in an attempt to pay off the account - My statement and a phone call to the customer service number indicated I had a balance of $271.00. I sent the entire amount. I called to confirm they received the payment. To my surprise, there was a balance of $27.71. I sent the $28.00. I called a third time to see if the $28.00 was received.

Again, I learned there was a balance of $5.34. I don't know what method of calculation this bank use but it is definitely not traditional. Keep in mind these payments were sent prior to the due date, made no purchase, and still I incurred additional charges despite paying the full amount stated. On the 3rd call statement balance according to the customer service rep was $5.34, I sent $6.00 and closed the account. This account with this bank cost me close to or over $100 in fees not related to purchases or late payment. Beware!

Original review: March 18, 2018

I had a dispute with a vendor over being charged for services not performed. I asked the credit card to put a hold on the payment. If I felt the card company had actually tried to help resolve my dispute I would not be writing this, but it was as if they predetermined to accept the vendor's claims and ignore mine. They put the charge through. Luckily I was able to resolve my situation through the Attorney General Consumer Frauds office.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2018

First National Bank of Omaha Gouges Customers - I was told in December of 2017 that purchases made at any store would hold a 0% interest rate until June of 2018. My wife and I used the card for most of our Christmas purchases based on this information to the tune of around $1,100. I just received my most up to date bill and found that I am paying 20+% interest on the very purchases I was told would be 0%. I called the customer service and was told there was nothing they could do about the issue other than lower my rate to 17.99%. I asked to hear the recorded conversation between myself and their representative and they said they could not allow that and that I would have to get a subpoena for that to happen. I recommend not using this institution for purchases, as I certainly won't in the future.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

Horrible card, fees upon fees upon fees even when it's their fault. I made a payment which came back Account not found. I called them and corrected the account number, then processed the payment again. Came back account not found... twice. Called them again. Corrected the account number for billing purposes and had the rude lady read the numbers back to me and told her to take my payment over the phone... at this point they already closed the account because they could not bill me because it kept saying account not found... They got me for $90 in fees. DO NOT USE THIS BANK FOR YOUR CREDIT CARD NEEDS.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I received my cc balance of $2900.00 which included $56.00 of interest because I did not pay off the balance in full from the previous month. So I paid off the whole balance and guess what? The following month I still had a $51.00 interest payment even though I had paid off the entire balance the month before. WTF? That's just outrageous. My other credit card companies do not do this. I am definitely going to cancel this card.

Original review: Dec. 31, 2017

I paid this credit card bank in full and looked online and saw a zero balance, I received a email 2 days later stating I owe $132.69, I called and told them I paid this balance in full and it showed a zero balance. They told me I had what is called "tail end finance charge", they would not remove it, I ended up paying the 132.69. After getting email, l did look at the account online, it showed the 132.69, but payment was $130.00, I guess so they could charge me interest the next month on $2.69, so sad, just a RIP OFF Credit Company, lesson learned. Never Used Them again...

Original review: Nov. 17, 2017

I had nothing but trouble from the beginning. I set up automatic withdrawal THREE times before it went through. When it finally did, payment wasn't withdrawn the first month, so I manually paid online. There was notification that it might take 2 months, as with everything I've ever set up automatic payments for--but it never has taken 2 month on anything else. Ever. This month, I decided to check my account on the day payment was due, and a) No payment had been made, b) Showed "no payment is pending," c) Showed an amount. It was in the evening of the payment due date, so I paid online, as Customer Service was not available, and I did not want late fees and late payment showing up on my credit score.

Two days later, I get notified that both payments were taken out. I called customer service, and a very wordy representative told me at best, I had to wait until payment cleared my bank and arrange a conference call between First Bankcard and a supervisor at my bank. I do not have time during the day to do this, so basically they advised me that I was screwed out of $400. A payment I would never have made, if the online account showed, as it should have, that my automatic payment was pending. A rather snippy "supervisor"--I'm sure it was just another CSR--told me the same. I closed my account immediately, but this should never have happened. I have been banking online since the 90s and never had an ordeal like this.

Original review: Nov. 8, 2017

This bank is totally overcharging the consumers!!! I had a MasterCard with them. Got my bill, paid it in full. Once the payment had posted and my account showed a zero balance I called and closed my account. Now I get another bill for $46. When I called they refused to credit my account. Someone needs to take a class action against them and their sister bank First National Bank of Omaha. I asked for the supervisor. They switched me over and conveniently they don't give out names. These banks are making a killing off of consumers!!!

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

I had the NRA Visa and paid account off in full, a few months later I get a bill for interest. I called and the lady was rude and cut me off while I was trying to speak, she basically said since I didn't pay off my bill every time I had unpaid interest which makes no sense since I "Paid Account in full". I guess there was interest hiding in a corner somewhere or something. This wasn't the first problem I had with them, stay away. They are crooks and will keep charging you with a $0.00 balance.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I had a M life Rewards Mastercard with them. First thing, I had a difficult time to log into their website because of the password policies they have. Second, once I log in I could not pay or do anything with my card because they suspect my card. I called customer service, entered complete cc no on the IVR and last 4 of my social too.

I spoke to one of their agents, she asked me a lot of questions which I answered correctly. She asked my DOB, complete cc no and last 4 of social again (I don't know why 2nd time), my mother's maiden name etc. After answering all of her questions, she told me that in order to unlock the acct, I have to go to a different bank and call from their no. to prove my identity through them. What kind of policy is that?

Which bank would speak on behalf of us? Hopeless, I went to BofA and told them my problem. They said they can't do it. I don't think any bank will verify your identity with a different bank just because you are a customer to them. I went to US Bank and asked them the same thing but no luck. I called the Customer service again but this time they told me to notarize DL, Social Security Card and Address proof and have to fax it to ** to unlock my account.

I had a Discover card, BofA travel card and other cards over the past 3 yrs and I never had these kinds of problems. So, I went to BofA and US Bank again to notarize just as they asked but their policies won't allow notarizing a DL. Who's at fault here? What kind of policies does this First bank card have? If policies are not user-friendly, then you won't grow as an organization. Remember, every time I call in Customer service I had to authenticate myself with their hell lot of questions before they speak anything about my account. This was the worst experience in my life. DON'T WORK WITH THIS BANK OF OMAHA in any way.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Horrible... no mercy. I was in an accident and all my credit cards went into charge off. Capital One reinstated my cards. Barclays card still closed the account after I paid but removed all of the bad credit histories. This card, I got a condescending attitude... no mercy regarding what happened to me even after I said I would pay in full so why pay if I am going to have to deal with it anyway. Stay AWAY!!!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

FNBO has the worst online banking services... period! Its online platform is the polar opposite of user-friendly. It is impossible to find basic online banking services, such as transferring funds from FNBO to another bank. I can't disentangle myself from this poor excuse of bank fast enough!

First National Bank of Omaha response

John, thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear about your experience. Can you please give us a call at 1-877-932-3626 so that we can go over the different options in regards to transferring funds? We look forward to hearing from you.

First National Bank of Omaha Company Information