2.96/5

Omaha, NE

Over 150 years old, First National Bank was founded by two pioneers, Herman and Augustus Kountze in 1857 serving Omaha and the surrounding communities. The pioneers who founded First National Bank did so in the spirit of innovation and commitment to customer service. Today, this sixth generation family- owned business has become the largest privately owned banking company in the United States, with locations in seven states and more than 6.6 million customers across the country.

For questions about your account, please call Customer Service. Remember to never disclose your account information on any social network.

View More View More

127 First National Bank of Omaha Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 3, 2019

I am a credit card customer but not for much longer. My May statement showed a 2400.00 balance which was paid prior to the due. The account was paid in full but not according to them. They assessed a finance charge of 26.00 in spite of the fact that it was paid in full. They cite some legalese that basically is a just an excuse and are indifferent to you as a customer. I have filed complaints with the BBB in Omaha and the Nebraska Attorney General's office for deceptive trade practices.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Gabriel, we're sorry to hear about your recent experience. Customer service is very important to us and we appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. In accordance with our Cardmember Agreement, cash advances, special offers, and balance transfers do not receive grace (or lack of interest), and purchases only receive grace if a customer pays their New Balance in full and on time for two consecutive billing cycles. If you have further questions, please give us a call.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I am 58 y/o and have had many different credit cards since I was 18 y/o, 40+ years. First National Bank of Omaha is by far the worst credit card provider I have ever experienced. Without any notice or solid reason, one day out of the blue I received a letter by US Mail notifying me they had closed long-held credit card my account. They claimed to base it on credit ratings but the strange thing is my credit rating actually improved according to all three major reporting agencies. When I contacted FNB, they revealed they actually have their own rating system. In other words they use an internal system, which no consumer has access to and FNB won’t explain, to decide whether to keep you active or shut you down.

I had my FNB credit card for many years. I NEVER missed a payment! How they rate someone inside their own system is a mystery they keep to themselves. Don’t bother writing them for help either. I wrote letters to the CEO, the VP of Customer Service, and their credit card office in general. That was well over a month ago and as of this writing I have received only one reply. That reply was nothing but an acknowledgment of receiving my letter and a very cold canned response. They NEVER explained anything on a personal customer caring level. No one from FNB has made any attempt to answer my questions as requested or reach out to show they really care. Bottom line, FNB does NOT care about customers at all. STAY AWAY!

First National Bank of Omaha response

Janice, we apologize that your recent experience with our bank has been frustrating. Please know that we value your feedback as a key tool to help us learn ways to improve. These decisions are based on customers’ credit as a whole. If you believe incorrect information is reporting to the bureaus, please feel encouraged to file a dispute directly with the agency reporting the information.

Get expert buying tips about Banks and Credit Unions delivered to your inbox.

Rated with 1 starResolution In Progress
Original review: June 17, 2019

I went into the site in April to pay my credit card off. On the site they list 3 amounts, one for minimum payment due. One for statement balance, and one for total balance due. Which would you like to pay, I selected total balance due. Lo and behold I have been getting collection letters stating I have a balance due. When you call them you get the same explanation repeated 5 times just with different wording about as to why there is a balance. And to top it off you're talked to like an idiot. And to further aggravate you, you get put on hold for 30 or 40 minutes at a time. Mmmm wonder why there is so many call ins!!!!

Soooo... Apparently when you go online to get the total due, it's not the real total due. They compound interest daily BUT do not add it daily, so therefore you can never pay it off because they don't add it till statement closing. Well if it states total payment due, isn't that what it should be not some other amount calculated later. Keeping in mind I paid off other credit cards and not one of them sent me a statement stating I still owed money because of uncalculated interest, because when you check their sites, IT'S THE TOTAL PAYMENT DUE!!! They add the interest on a daily basis so you are paying the real balance.

And then when you get someone on the phone and you can just see them reading off a pre-selected script when you ask or state further information. When you ask for a supervisor, you don't know if you got one or not. It's probably just the kid sitting next to the one you just talked to. And they're laughing as they do it. They don't have your best interests in mind, they do not take care of their good customers and they just want to take you for what they can. I'm going to have to pay the stupid amount because they'll report it as delinquent on my credit. Real nice...NOT

First National Bank of Omaha response

Leilani, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience. Customer service is very important to us and we appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team.

Original review: June 7, 2019

I actually would like to give zero stars. I have dispute on my credit card charge, so try to contact to customer service but it is almost impossible. Called to their customer service # few times. They kept transferring me around to departments, after more than an hour wait got disconnected. Called them again, but same results. Then I sent inquiries messages several times already via online message center, of course no response from them at all. Seems like they try to steal money from their customer. My issue is still unsolved.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Yoriko, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience. Customer service is very important to us and we like a chance to look into this. Could you please private message us more information? We’ll be sure to fully investigate this matter for you.

Original review: June 5, 2019

Took my $300 deposit. Immediately took a $25 "Annual service charge", I paid my first payment of $50 (they only ask for $10, early by 5 days), which they claim they never received but I received a confirmation number. Then I started receiving 50 phone calls and 30 text. Now I'm being charged a 22% late fee on my own money and I'll bet they are reporting this to the credit bureaus. They are doing more harm to my credit than good. I will NEVER use their "CREDIT" card nor give them one more cent. Their customer service reps are pompous jerks.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Shelia, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience. Customer service is very important to us and we like a chance to look into this. Could you please private message us more information? We’ll be sure to fully investigate this matter for you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First National Bank of Omaha?

Original review: June 2, 2019

I had 2 cards with this bank, NRA and Orvis. I received a letter stating they were closing my Orvis account because I didn't score well enough in their review. I called to inquire why it was being closed and got the typical corporate BS answer. I was so furious I told the customer service rep to closed my NRA account as well. DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THIS BANK, now I'm going to have derogatory information about me to the credit reporting agencies that isn't true. I never missed or paid late on the accounts.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Joseph, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience. Please know that we value your feedback as a key tool to help us learn ways to improve. These decisions are based on customers’ credit as a whole and a detailed letter is sent in the mail with a clear explanation of this matter. If you believe incorrect information is reporting to the bureaus, please feel encouraged to file a dispute directly with the agency reporting the information.

Original review: May 28, 2019

If I could give zero stars I would. I was alerted by Credit Karma that my account with FNB Omaha was closed. Never received a call or any kind of notice. I was shocked because I have never been late on a payment. I have always paid more than the minimum. I have never maxed out my card. I was in the process of rebuilding my credit. Now my credit score has dropped drastically. I am so disappointed in FNB Omaha. This is not how you should treat a loyal customer. Absolute crap.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Amanda, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience. Please know that we value your feedback as a key tool to help us learn ways to improve. These decisions are based on customers’ credit as a whole and a detailed letter is sent in the mail with a clear explanation of this matter. If you believe incorrect information is reporting to the bureaus, please feel encouraged to file a dispute directly with the agency reporting the information.

Original review: May 22, 2019

My Sheetz credit card was closed by First Bankcard-First National Bank of Omaha. They said they use a scoring system and decided to close my account. I have never paid late. I always pay more than the minimum due. It is bad for a business to treat great customers this way because of a ridiculous scoring system that does not reflect me at all. This card was great until they did this to me and my credit score. I would not recommend this company if you intend to always keep the same credit card.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Bill, we apologize that your recent experience with our bank has been frustrating. Customer service is very important to us and please know that we value your feedback as a key tool to help us learn ways to improve. If you believe incorrect information is reporting to the bureaus, please feel encouraged to file a dispute directly with the agency reporting the information.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I had a SCHEELS Visa since 2015. Never was late on any payments! I have fair credit. I was working on getting better and then they close my account without warning with a balance! Then proceed to send me a letter saying I’m responsible for paying balance of the card with I was already doing! And they hurt my credit even more by closing an account with a balance. So unfair!

First National Bank of Omaha response

Maureen, we’re sorry to hear about your recent experience. Customer service is very important to us and we appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. If you would like to send us a private message with more information, we’ll be sure to fully investigate this matter for you.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Had our Mlife credit card for well over a year. Never late, on time payments always. Credit score not the best. However you guys decide to make it worse by closing account our account. An account we haven't even used for over 8 months due to paying it off. Lower balances if you have to, or at least warn loyal customers before you decide on close an account and do further damage to their credit. This is a very poor practice and from the amount of negative comments I foresee a class action lawsuit in your future being very likely.

First National Bank of Omaha response

We’re sorry to hear about your recent experience. Customer service is very important to us and we appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We would like a chance to look into this. If you would like to send us a private message with more information, we’ll be sure to fully investigate this matter for you.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I have had an FNBO credit card for for 2 years. We periodically used the card and primarily took advantage of the balance transfer options. We never went over our credit limit or missed a payment. We were alerted by our credit monitoring company that our account was closed. Upon calling the company we were told they pulled our credit and decided to close the account. They said having a high balance was bad for our score. They don’t care about our score because a high limit card being closed by the grantor makes our score drop even more than our high balance. Plus they didn’t have a problem with the high limit when they offered me the balance transfer. I am closing my savings account with them tomorrow and will NEVER use another FNBO product again.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Melissa, we’re sorry to hear that your recent experience with our bank has been frustrating and appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We value your opinions, and take all correspondence seriously. We will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team.

Original review: May 11, 2019

I have had a card with them for several years now and they didn't give me any reason to say a bad thing about them. I request cl increases and got approved. I then chose to open another account because of how good they treated me. I got approved. My wife took off for one year to take care of our son and I used credit to supplement our income till she started working again. I froze my credit to prevent fraud and in Hopes to help me improve my credit. I got a better job and she started working again. I started paying off debts with a tax return and a loan from my 401k. I budgeted my payments to payoff credit cards starting from the lowest balance, working my way through the cards. Next thing I know, I get a notification from my credit monitor that a card has decreased my cl. It was one of my FNB cards.

I called and was told it was due to my FICO. I tried to tell my story, but all I got was an unfelt "sorry". I told them don't harm my credit cause that's what they were doing. One month goes by and my credit monitor notified me that a credit card has been closed. I found out it was my other FNB card. I was upset and hurt that the Bank I thought was doing well for me didn't like that I used their card. I had a low balance on the closed card and have not missed a payment in over two years with any account. My FICO is only affected by my high credit card balances. I called FNB and was told my FICO was not up to their standards and even though my credit isn't stellar now, I am on my way to pay off my balances. So instead, they lower my FICO score more from their actions against me, with no notification beforehand.

I read the credit agreement that they updated and it's within their right, but it will not help you. No help from customer service. If you want a better credit card experience, go with a credit union. I will zero all my "bank" cards and close the ones that harmed my credit due to a review of my credit. I am looking to purchase a house in the future, but this bank is not helping me, except shown me that they are not the bank I thought they were.

First National Bank of Omaha response

We are sorry to hear about your recent experience. Customer service is very important to us and we appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I signed up for a Best Western Master Card. When we attempted to redeem rewards we learned the process was very cumbersome and decided to cancel the card. I had just paid an annual fee, and asked to have that refunded or applied to the one purchase I had made. They told me because I had made one purchase they would not refund any part of the annual fee. So I was charged 59.00 for the upcoming year. They refused to prorate the fee or apply it to my bill. These people are Banksters.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Bruce, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience. We value your opinions, and we take all correspondence seriously. We will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I pay all my bills online thru bill pay. Because this bank does not participate, my bank has to send a check thru USPS. The check was mailed 2 days prior to due date but was not processed until 4 business days later and credited yet another day resulting in a late payment and a late fee being assessed. I contacted the bank as they waived the late fees but I still closed my account. Very poor customer service!

First National Bank of Omaha response

Original review: April 27, 2019

This card is a joke!! I have had the MLIFE card for about 3 years, started with a limit of 5,000. Used the card only in Vegas for our trips. For 2 years in a row now they have decreased my limit for no reason. I have other credit cards that have sent me credit increased recently and this joke of a bank decreased my credit limit. I have never been late on a payment and always pay the balance in full. I have made a 1500$ payment 2 months ago, and another 815$ payment 2 days ago, paying the card off and they decreased the limit. AVOID this card at all cost. I won't ever use the MLIFE MasterCard again, MLIFE you need to find a different bank to go thru for all your customers.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Aaron, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience. Credit increases and decreases are based on customers’ credit as a whole. Every account is carefully evaluated to establish a credit limit consistent not only with our interests, but the interests of the customer as well. We will make sure to pass your feedback on so that we can review. Thank you.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I opened this card to use for travel expenses and let me just say it was by far the worst customer service I have ever witnessed and I run a restaurant and deal with people all day so that’s saying a lot. I was locked out of my account so I called to get it reset to make my payment, that never happened. I tried to send a check through mail. It got sent back and when I was told a supervisor would call to try and help me figure out what was going on they never did. So now they closed my account for permanently and basically told me to figure it out myself when I have never missed a single payment in the past. Would not recommend this company to my worst enemy. Absolutely horrible.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Alexis, we’re sorry to hear about your recent experience. Customer service is very important to us and we appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We would like a chance to look into this. If you would like to send us a private message with more information, we’ll be sure to fully investigate this matter for you.

Original review: April 19, 2019

They sent me a card that I didn’t apply for. I destroyed it. They started sending letters about it. I called and told them I didn’t want the card, didn’t apply for it, and wanted it canceled. They are now sending me bills and are saying I’ll soon have late fees. All the charges are to Orvis, a division of FNB of Omaha, it’s a Visa. I think I should be able to sue them for my time and, esp. if they ruin my credit.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Joe, we apologize that your recent experience with our bank has been frustrating and appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. To report a possible Fraud Application, please contact us. We would be happy to assist.

Original review: April 10, 2019

Have had their Dodge Performance Credit card for three months now. Paid off the full amount the first month then they put a hold on my account from paying online. Sent me a letter stating such, so I called customer service (waited 32 mins). The girl told me she would take the block off, mind you they took the money out of my bank account days before this cleanly. Told her I also wanted to pay a $200 new balance weeks before it was due and logged into my FNB account after not seeing the payment leave my bank account after 5 days and it showed a return of funds.

Called customer service (waited 23 mins) and was helped by Esther. She said my bank account info was wrong and I needed to correct it. I informed her "You took my previous payment just fine with the very same info." Rechecked my info once more and scheduled another payment. If they refuse payment again I will be filing with the BBB and filing with the state's attorney in Nebraska. I’m not the person they want to play these games with. My advice to anyone thinking of getting this card... DON’T

First National Bank of Omaha response

Scott, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience. Customer service is very important to us and would like the chance to look into this. Could you please send us a private message with the name as it appears on the card? We will fully investigate this matter for you.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I’ve been an account holder with this bank for 6 years. My limit was 5k with a decrease to 2,500 about 6 months ago. Never a late payment with anyone for over 10 years and today Credit Karma revealed to me my account was closed in January. This is something to be expected if you're not paying on time I’d assume but to not notify a customer that’s been with you paying on time for years is extremely unsettling.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Elizabeth, we are sorry to hear of your recent experience. Credit increases and decreases are based on customers’ credit as a whole. Every account is carefully evaluated to establish a credit limit consistent not only with our interests, but the interests of the customer as well. If you would like to private message us with more information, we would be happy to look into this matter. Thank you.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have had an account with First National Bank of Omaha for 8 years. 5 of those years I held a credit card. Never had a late payment or any issues. Over a month ago I purchased an e-book & it brought me to a link saying the product is not available. I attempted contacting the the seller to no avail. I decided to contact my bank to dispute this and do a chargeback. No matter what time of day I call I am on hold with FNBO for over 15 minutes. When I ask about the status of the dispute all they say is "we are really backed up and they haven't started it yet". When I ask for a timeframe they say they don't have one. It's been well over a month and they STILL haven't started my case. This is ridiculous. When I go into the branches they say I need to contact the call center. How long am I supposed to wait?

First National Bank of Omaha response

Natasha, we’re sorry to hear about your recent experience. Customer service is very important to us and we’d like to see if we can help. If you would like to send us a private message with more information, we’d be happy to look into this for you. Thank you.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Avoid opening an account with them, if you need money go to a real bank, this is an online bank live and expand by the fees they charge even if you pay in the same month, such a business need to be further investigated as it has 0 satisfactory!!! What a business in the world that has 0 satisfactory!! Not even a Chinese scammer business!!! IF YOU WANT TO HAVE AN ACCOUNT WITH THEM LOOK AT THE REVIEWS EVERYWHERE, if you see 1.5 not even five then there is a satisfactory, they have 1 because there is nothing less than 1, if there was -100 they will for sure have it. THEY GOAL IS YOUR MONEY NOT YOUR SATISFACTORY.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Michael, we apologize that your recent experience with our bank has been frustrating and appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We have more than 100 branch locations in Nebraska, Iowa, Colorado, Kansas, Illinois, Texas, and South Dakota to assist our customers with all their banking needs. If you’d like to send us a private message with additional information about what happened, we would be happy to look into how we can assist you.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

Warning. If you choose to get a First Bankcard it will end up being the BIGGEST mistake you could make with regards to credit cards. It is so bad I refuse to shop on Overstock.com ever again. As with many other reviews I have seen my card was paid on time and not over the limit. It had been in good standing. Today I received a notice saying they are cancelling me and one of those reasons was because I paid off my car and instead of getting a new one with a monthly installment note I chose to remain free of a car payment. So they cancelled me.

I have some medical bills that are being disputed and until that is resolved it is on my report as a collection. (Paying it but still somehow a collection). This bank is a complete rip off and a scam to all consumers. Avoid both First Bankcard and Overstock.com it is NOT worth it. With all the other reviews here I am starting to think a class action lawsuit might be in order considering the damage this does to our credit scores. 50-100 points minimum usually is taken off your score when a bank shuts down your CC.

First National Bank of Omaha response

We apologize that your recent experience with our bank has been frustrating and appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We value your opinions, and we take all correspondence seriously. We will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I too had an Overstock credit card which was issued by, First Bank of Omaha. 6 months ago they found Credit-speak reasons to lower my limit (although I didn't use the card) and this month, I received notification that my account had been closed for the same Credit-speak reasoning. Paying on time every time and higher than minimum payments has not stopped them from damaging my Credit. I would involve myself in the class action lawsuit I am sure is on the horizon.

First National Bank of Omaha response

John, we apologize that your recent experience with our bank has been frustrating and appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We value your opinions, and we take all correspondence seriously. We will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I have had my card for over 5 years. Always paid my card on time double the amounts. Was never late. I got a letter yesterday 2-25-19. My account is now closed. The reason they explained in the letter was they received a notice from the credit company. I have never heard of this before, my credit report will show for the past 20 years all bills have been paid on time. Closing a card lowers your credit score. I did call them. They advised, "Read the letter. That is why your card was closed."

First National Bank of Omaha response

Cindy, we apologize that your recent experience with our bank has been frustrating and appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We value your opinions, and we take all correspondence seriously. We will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

I called to cancel my First Bankcard on the day I received the notice that the annual fee was posted. They could NOT waive the fee. I am not happy. I had a zero balance the month before. They told me I was notified of the annual membership fee coming due so they will not waive the fee. I have never heard of such a policy. Not a happy Customer.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Crystal, we understand your frustration and would like a chance to look into this. If you would like to send us a private message with more information, we’d be happy to look into this matter for you. Thank you.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

Updated on 03/07/2019: I paid my balance IN FULL on my RAKUTEN Master Card just a few days after First Bank closed the account for no apparent reason. Always paid on time, never late, etc. I called First Bank customer service today, but even with a zero'ed balance, they will not even consider reinstating the account. I don't need their credit line, I have several others bank cards with full available credit. What upsets me is that they slam the door on me when I call to request a consideration of reopening the credit line. No negotiation at all. They say I need to reapply as a new customer... Caveat Emptor with doing business with First Bank Of Omaha. They will throw you under the bus!!

Original review: As in so many other recent cases I see here, my card account in good standing (never late, etc.) was also closed without reasonable cause. It was a RAKUTEN card. Apparently First bank has also shut down the RAKUTEN card site. This is not a good sign as it could be signaling deeper systemic problems in their organization. I cannot recommend any First Bank product based on my recent experience.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Michael, we apologize that your recent experience with our bank has been frustrating and appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns.. We value your opinions, and we take all correspondence seriously. We will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

Like everyone else I had an Overstock credit card which was issued by, I believe First Bank of Omaha. Last month, I received a credit monitoring notification that my account had been closed with various "waffle" reasons given. ZERO notification from First Bank. It seems they have ended their association with Overstock and are closing accounts. Happening to many people and credit is being ruined. Currently myself and several others are investigating a class action lawsuit due to their underhand actions.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

FNB OMAHA did not notify me of this cancellation until I disputed the notice that it was closed on the credit reports. On 2-22-19 I received notice. The reports were accurate and on the same day I received a notice that my account was closed. The notice was backdated to 1-17-2019. Never late, paid more than minimum, had this account for over four years. From what I found in researching this, the credit card companies can do this at their own discretion without notifying the card holder. This is really a bad practice. Hope these complaints have an impact, would like to have the companies notify their card holders when the account is canceled at the time the action occurs rather than when a card holder disputes it on their credit report.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Denise, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience. Customer service is very important to us and we appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

Have had an Overstock credit card for over 5 years and received a letter today stating the account has been closed. The letter is stating that the account is closed due to excessive delinquencies. I do not have “excessive delinquencies" with this account nor on any other account. My credit report does not show any delinquencies either. Not sure what is going in with this company but based on the number of recent complaints I believe something fraudulent is going on.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Kelly, we’re sorry to hear about the inconvenience and your recent experience. We value your opinions, and take all correspondence seriously. We will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team.

Original review: Feb. 20, 2019

First National Bank of Omaha closed my "in good standing" account without warning. I have had the account for over 6 years, ALWAYS paid more than minimum due and NEVER made a late payment! Today, First National Bank sent me a letter stating that my credit score had dropped so they were closing my acct. Despicable action since I have proven to be a customer who pays my bill and ALWAYS on time. I am very unhappy and would never recommend the company to anyone.

First National Bank of Omaha response

Donna, we are sorry to hear about your recent experience. Customer service is very important to us and we appreciate you taking time to voice your concerns. We will make sure to pass this feedback onto our customer experience team.

First National Bank of Omaha Company Information