First National Bank of Omaha

Omaha, NE

Over 150 years old, First National Bank was founded by two pioneers, Herman and Augustus Kountze in 1857 serving Omaha and the surrounding communities. The pioneers who founded First National Bank did so in the spirit of innovation and commitment to customer service. Today, this sixth generation family- owned business has become the largest privately owned banking company in the United States, with locations in seven states and more than 6.6 million customers across the country.

For questions about your account, please call Customer Service. Remember to never disclose your account information on any social network.

Compare Banks & Credit Unions

Research top Banks & Credit Unions recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

First National Bank, Union Deposit, Harrisburg, PA - First National Bank is taking advantage of me as a customer because they know I live in Georgia and can't get to Pennsylvania to deal with the issue. I did a withdraw from the ATM of 300.00 and had a balance of $23 available. I did a few smaller transactions which left about thirteen dollars and some change in my account. I accidentally used the wrong card to pay my Sprint bill which was around $164. This would have put my account into a negative $150 plus $37 for overdraft which would have totaled around $187.

First National Bank claimed Sprint put a hold for the $164 which I received a text to my phone from Sprint the $164 was paid. Regardless of the hold or not, there was only one item which put my account into overdraft not two items. FNB charged me $74 and then not even 48 hours later, placed another $37 charge on me which placed my account into a -$261 status. This bank is robbing me and they need to be stopped.

I was denied for an NRA sanctioned credit card based on ridiculous reasons that have nothing to do with credit worthiness. When I contacted First Bank of Omaha, they lied, and Blamed the I.C.S. or A.C.S. saying they gave an opinion on my credit worthiness, when they did not. Then, when FBO realized they had no grounds for their decision, they falsely created one. Literally one minute only the initial reason for denial is on the computer and on the letter I received, and less than an hour later another reason shows up. And that reason was false. In conclusion, anyone that trusts a bank that lies is a fool. And you deserve to lose money if you use them. P.S. I recorded and have proof everything I've said is true. Look for our documentary on YouTube coming soon. Under Corrupt banks.

Had a VISA card through FNBO for about 6 years. I'd have cancelled them long ago but for the Scheels cash back cards. Their functionality is antiquated, customer service is "could care less" and they seem to find ways to squeeze extra money from the customer. Too many incidents to list but here's the highlights: Fraud notification: IF they detect fraud activity they sent you an email that looks just like a Nigerian scam email. The phone# on the email doesn't match the card so I don't respond thinking it's another scammer. So they cancelled my card without calling.

First time I was on a x-country car trip and couldn't get gas in. OK, 2nd time they cancelled card the day before I was to leave for Hawaii! Both times they claimed they called but that was a lie proven by cell records. They are so cheap they will not overnight deliver a replacement card instead they'll try to get by with snail mailing it. Last time I got them to Priority Mail but it took some growling from me. Bank/card account was hacked and identity stolen. Someone hacked into their bank, got into my account and changed my address, then ordered a bunch of expensive stuff. They did catch it but it was a royal pain and now I have to closely monitor my credit reports. Customer service and their fraud supervisors refused to admit their bank was hacked. Makes me wonder how many customers were affected.

Auto pay setup atrociously archaic and DO NOT trust their online software to record changes. Found this out the hard way. Got hit with a late fee with higher interest rate when the changes to auto pay didn't happen. They did not take any payment from my bank. I called and they had zero record of the changes I made. So the customer service tech got me set up for auto pay and good to go...not so fast...got whacked with another late fee. Ok...we repeat the above procedure. This different cust serve rep seemed smarter than the previous ones. He got me set up (3rd attempt now) and auto pay worked...except...more problems. I requested a higher auto pay which we talked at length about. Guess what?? Did not happen. But I came to expect this by now.

Even if auto pay works they wait til the last day to draw from your payment acct. For a variety of reasons sometimes payment or credit for payment gets delayed...so WHAM...another late fee and a higher interest rate. My bank is a competent international bank with excellent service and computers so I know the issue is very likely not on my side. Speaking of auto pay I notice they want to the last day or minute to debit your bank for payment. This creates a higher potential for late payment if there are computer glitches. Sneaky, yes? It does not take very many "incidents" or problems, which are never their fault, to use as an excuse to jack your interest rate to 29.9%. I guarantee you that they will NEVER tell you about the Card Act and reviewing your interest rate after 6 months of on-time payments. Why do that when you can rake the people for double the interest?

Their online account/statement software is a nightmare to navigate and worse to extract information from. There is no reason it should be so hard to find payment status, statements, and the hardest to find...how much they're stocking for fees and interest rate. I'm patient, easy going person but this company can really fire me up. Just discovered another screw up this morning so they're going bye which I should have done a couple years ago. To summarize: lying employees, badly unreliable computer system, untrustworthy account security, antiquated replacement card system, poor fraud alert service and in my opinion shady business practices to fleece the customers. After a while you don't feel like a customer but more like a victim.

Twice my bill was lost in the mail - makes me wonder - first time they got rid of the late charges but the second time they refused. I cancelled the card, paid the balance in full, asked for a confirmation number and they hung up on me. I had to call back and speak to a supervisor to get the number. Run from these people as fast as you can.

Very disappointed with First National Bank!!! They invite me to apply just to declined me!!! I have a very good credit and 100% payment history!!! But at the end I'm glad I wasn't approve after reading all the bad reviews!!! Thank you!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about First National Bank of Omaha?

Bank is holding an ACH payment for 10 days for verification. I have always made my payments thru my American Express prepaid Blue Card. First, my other credit card companies take two days to credit my account and my credit limit is updated. This bank takes up to a week to credit my account and now a hold of 10 days has been placed on updating my information. I work with ACH payments and it does not take a week for a ACH payment to be received and processed. It does not take 10 days for it to come back "NSF" or any other reason. First National is taking advantage of its customers. The money is deducted from my account and balance when I confirm the transaction on American Express's website.

The company decrease my credit limit every time when my credit score goes down. I was never late with my payments, but they don't care. Every time you need a credit you don't have it. I went in store to buy some things. It's good that I am very punctual and checking my credit limit before I make purchases, but most people are not doing it. Very easy to get in trouble with these guys. The letter about reducing credit limit came 3 days later after they did it. I would not recommend anybody this credit card: First National Bank.

In December of 2014 I purchased well over $10,000 of items at Overstock.com, we were remodeling and it was Christmas. In early January 2015 three problems became obvious to us. First, Overstock sent items that I had not purchased. They were in my shopping cart, however I had not approved the actual purchase. These items were returned for credit without an issue. Second, a shipment was sent to ** not our home. This neighbor was away on holiday. When he came to our house we were not home. He left a note. When we saw the note it was too late. He stated he returned the items to Overstock. Third Overstock sent duplicate shipments. These shipments were returned and we were credited.

I spent at least 40 hours on the phone with Overstock to sort out all this mayhem. It was grueling! I spoke with everyone from customer service, to accounting managers, warehouse managers, PR managers, and so on. We went over emails shipping receipts, Fedex receipts. Finally all was sorted out. Every item that was not ordered or was a duplicated shipment was returned. All is well. Until about 6 to 8 week later. I receive my first of hundreds of calls from First Bankcard stating my account is overdue. Again I spend at least another 40 hours between Overstock, First Bankcard, my neighbor and my husband. Overstock stated on several occasions that all had been returned and accounted for. Essentially blaming First Bankcard for being a bad bill collector.

In March of 2016 First Bankcard sent me a letter saying I could just pay 75% of what I owe. What? I do not owe anything. So why would I pay anything. I will pay 75% of a zero balance. Nonetheless, First Bankcard continues to harass and threaten me. I am now at the point of feeling I need an outside government agency or an attorney. I have tried everything in my power to stop your threatening, harassing, incessant calls and letters.

However to no avail. I do not understand what type of scheme you are. I will no longer try to speak with you since this proves useless. I do not owe any money to Overstock. In fact they owe me for items I never received and paid for. The latest letter threatens to ruin my credit. We are retired living on a fixed budget. This type of threatening harassment is disgusting. WE DO NOT OWE OVERSTOCK. THAT BALANCE IS 0! Lastly we never have nor never will buy any item from Overstock.com again. This has been a nightmare!

This company is a fraud! Doing business with them will only hurt you. Steer clear.

I applied for a Credit Card with FNBO in 2014, I was given a credit limit of 2,100. I used my card twice in 2014, and paid the full balance with autopay which was only like $60.00. I had some issues come up in January with the new house that I bought. I asked for a credit increase of 3,000 from FNBO which was approved. I went into the Autopay section to set it up again, the only option that I was given, was the full balance. Which was on the 1st of February, I went back in on the 8th of February to see what I had for Autopay and saw that it still said the full balance but this time gave me the option to put another amount which I did for $100.00 to come out on the 19th of February.

February 23rd my husband goes to get a sandwich and his debit card from our bank is declined. I check our account, and there is an autopay of $2,494.00 coming through from FNBO. I call them to ask what happened. They told me that because I changed the total after the billing cycle had processed that it wasn't changed to the 100.00. I said well my account is now overdrafted and I am getting charged an overdraft fee. They offered to fix the problem on the 24th because they weren't showing it in their system yet. So I call back and my bank has already kicked it back. The CS from FNBO said that everything should be fine now.

Now the 24th in the afternoon, the Autopay tries to come thru again for the same amount. I call and complain again to FNBO. They said that it will hit my account twice and that they could do nothing about it, but that this would be the last time. The 25th of February Guess What!! Again it tries to come thru my account. 3rd time I call CS and she said that she will get it fixed and will waive the fees that I am going to be charged. We will have to see what happens tomorrow. I will probably owe our bank 300.00 in overdraft fees by time FNBO gets their act together. I am taking my taxes and paying them off. I will never do business with them again. Worst Experience Ever.

I have been with First National for years and they have always been wonderful to work with. They are easy to contact and their customer service agents are always friendly and knowledgeable. I only wish all of my other credit cards were this easy to work with. If you are looking for a real credit card that will help improve your credit rating I suggest this one.

I applied for an $11k unsecured loan at 1st National Bank back in the heyday of easy credit (2006) and loose banking standards. When I opened the account, they sent me six years' worth of payment books which are used for submitting monthly payment checks on the loan. During the Financial Crisis in 2008, the bank mysteriously changed my account number on the loan, but the truly bizarre thing was they refused to give me the new account number! So I continued paying on the loan using the payment slips I was sent when the loan was opened. Fast forward a few years to the loan maturity date when I had finally made my last payment on the loan. It was then that I discovered the bank had tacked on an additional $2k in fees on my loan when the account number changed, and they had been charging me a total of $2k in interest on the fees since then!

Naturally I refused to pay as this seemed like obvious fraud to me. The bank didn't seem to mind, they just wrote off the bogus amount for reimbursement from the Fed, and ruined my FICO credit score. I've tried on a couple occasions the last several years to settle the disputed amount with the bank, but they have refused all reasonable offers. I feel like a chump for paying on the loan all those years, as the effect on my credit would have been no different had I not paid them at all...

I have had a card with First National Bank of Omaha for several months. I never went over my credit limit, nor did I miss a payment. In fact, I am on automatic debit. My credit limit was decreased, causing my balance to available credit ratio to increase. This company does not treat its customers well. I have talked to several people at the company, and according to the employees, this is common practice, and there is nothing I can do. What a thing to do to a customer who has paid on time! I do not recommend this company.

I am a very responsible person that rarely makes late payments. This specific CC makes it so hard for you to create an online account and or actually just give them money! I called customer service because my account was locked out... The jerk on the other end was so sassy! Clearly didn't care about his job or my experience. I will be canceling this CC asap!

I have this credit card for about 4 months and make bimonthly payments to always have a clear balance and avoid CC fees/interest. They cashed my last payment and yet, they never gave me my credit line back. It never change even though my payment was posted on their website when I was checking my account. I had very little credit line available. I called and they said that they will clear that in 12 days. I stated that they have cashed my check from bank (pay electronically). "Why are you putting my credit line on hold? Put my credit line to where it should be." They say they need to verify the funds. "Okay, but you cashed it and have my money." Then they asked if there was anything they can help me with. Really?? They had no problem before and now they need to put a hold on??

Here's what they are doing. They were hoping I would use my card and go over the credit line availability they set it at and I would have to pay them the over the credit limit fee. There's one way they will screw you in making money on you. I will not be using this card again for sure. They are a very shady company and their employees also demonstrated that over the phone as they knew I was right but they sure like having their fun of trying to ruin your day. Not an ethical company for sure!!

Worse bank ever. I have a 710 credit score and have NEVER had a late payment in my life. Usually my three bureau score is 800+ but we are building on to our house and utilized special offers on our other big credit cards. We have 0% interest for 18 months with a 70k credit limit. We took advantage of that to build our addition and will move over the balance to a HELOC closer to the offers expiring. I have always paid my monthly bill off with FNBO. I have not used the card in 4 months. I get a letter stating they have cancelled my card and the reason was "Utilization of revolving accounts too high" and "Accounts owed on revolving accounts is too high". WTF??? This bank is a joke. They want customers like me! DO NOT BANK WITH THEM. THEY CARE LESS ABOUT THE CUSTOMER!

I had really good credit, up until I forgot to make one payment. My credit score dropped like 100 points for one mistake. I was told that nothing was going to happen, but yes something did happen. My credit is low now. I'm not worried about that, I can get it up again. If you're a perfect person, and can make every single payment on time, then use this bank. But remember, one little mistake and they will report you as a bad paying client and your score will suffer greatly. Most of the Customer Services woman are like on their period or something. Look if you're in the customer services industry, you should be ready to talk to anyone of any kind. If you're working for First National Bank, don't take things personally. It's the banks fault they have ** sneaky ways of banking for people, not yours. And also remember that you signed up for the job.

I'm a very powerful man now and I can greatly make this public because I didn't like what they did. It's like borrowing money from a friend, and you have a great time paying him back. And for one little mistake you made, your friend went to facebook and told all his friends that you're not paying him and this and that. Choose a bank that has great history and choose banks that are forgivable, I mean they may not give good interest on savings, but they are good people and a great bank. Stay away from this bank please, don't even think about it. Run away, go to Chase, go to Bank of America. Any of those are great.

I opened a credit card with FNBO in early July and I received it 07/08/15. I activated the card immediately and used it with no problems. I even made my first payment a few days later without issue. Today 07/15/15 I went online to make another payment only to discover that they blocked my online account. I called customer service expecting it to be a simple mistake. I was immediately transferred to Fraud and told that my account was frozen due to fraud concerns. The rep was very rude and condescending to me. She asked to speak to Austin to which I replied that I am Austin and she chuckled like I was lying.

She even asked "are you sure you're not calling on his behalf?" She proceeded to ask me very personal questions about my SSN, credit file, and relatives. She then informed me that she is not going to unlock my account and that I need to go to my personal bank (NOT FNBO) and hope that they will verify that I am who I say I am. I am going back to Capital One for my credit cards. Way to welcome a new customer FNBO.

I have a Jeep Credit Card Account. My bill is due on the 15th and I always pay early. I received an email saying my credit card account wasn't paid. Because I paid 4 / 21 for May payment, then I paid 5 / 18 for the June payment they took it for May again because it was too early. They charged me a fee of $37.00 because they did not post to June. Apparently they revise per the statement date and not necessarily the due date. This has happened now 3 times and I've been hit with 3 fees. I told them I am being punished because I make my payments early! I could not speak to manager then was allowed to speak with ** who refused to refund all fees (only 1), or give corporate office number. I closed my account. Let them get customers who don't pay their bills versus pay them early.

I call to try to get a loan to my Credit cards off. So I gave them My personal information. He ran the Credit check for said what I had owed. So he advised me to mail my pay stubs, therefore which I did. I never heard back from them, so I called and they give the mail awhile. I still haven't heard from them. I hope they're not just trying to use my personal information for identity theft. They're not very professional because I mailed the pay stubs and still haven't heard back from them.

They mailed me a letter before I sent the pay stubs saying I had 14 days to respond. If they really want to give the loan in first place they should said ok when they ran the credit check!

My boyfriend called FNBO -- Bellevue location 5 days ago regarding his personal account. There were some disagreements made, and words were said. So, he called another branch to get help, the SaddleCreek branch, and they were able to help him right away. The next day, we went out-of-town and needed to get money out to pay for gas. Our cards were declined and we had to spend over an hour calling different branches and card services to get his card working again.

That evening, some friends of our's were eating dinner at a local restaurant when they overheard the conversation from the table next time. It happened to be the bank workers, USING MY BOYFRIEND'S NAME, in the conversation and discussing our bank account. Isn't there some privacy policies being broken here?! Three days later (today), I tried to place an order online with my debit card, and it was declined for the reason of "do not honor." I called the bank, and after a 20 min wait on-hold, they put a banker on the phone stating that the reason my card doesn't work, is because of my boyfriend and what he said to them. How is it OK to keep ME from my earned money from what someone else says?! I have called the district manager and put a complaint in with him, as well. I have banked here for 5 years, and WILL BE MOVING MY BUSINESS. DO NOT BANK WITH THIS BANK! THEY ARE FOR THEMSELVES, NOT THE CUSTOMER!

Last year, for the ease of doing my taxes, I diverted 99% of my purchases through my FNB of Omaha Account. When it came time to download from their site to QuickBooks, I was unable to find anything that even resembled such a download. Call number one told me it was possible and to look in a different place - Nothing. Call number two told me that I could do the download, but only the last three months. I made a special request to receive a 12 month download and then we was told they would send me to a supervisor where we were disconnected and I was never called back.

Call number three was a bit more courteous and said he would look into the problem. I then logged in with him on the phone and he tried to lead me to the place where a download would be found. That feature apparently does not exist for my account, but does for others. I offered to pay for the ability to get the download and was told that was probably not going to happen (in so many words). All I want is to get a QuickBooks Download, so I do not have to enter manually every transaction I ran through this account.

I have tried too many times to resolve online account login problems. The account has been blocked online for several months. I have contacted CS by phone to resolve and completed the 45 minute process for verification. Afterwards the incompetent CS agent said he would remove the block. That was two months ago. I am going to pay off my credit card and close the account. I cannot tolerate this poor CS any longer.

I was sent an email stating I had charges on my card, that I needed to call and check. I called the number they gave me on the email, fraud department, spoke with them, they told me call the number on the back of the card, called, they told me to call customer service, why I don't know. I called the number, they said the same thing, they just had me going back and forth. When I tried to explain to them, ** says “I'm not arguing with you” and hung up. CALLED AGAIN, THE SAME THING HAPPENED!!!! Finally I called the first number back and was nice and much better. I asked for the Supervisor's name and address and he said he didn't have one. Finally, after I kept saying, this is a business and you don't have an address and name, he made a weird name and gave it to me. Very disappointed!!!!

Absolute worst account management site I have ever seen. I have yet to be able to pay my monthly bill without having to call because of a site error. Customer service reps couldn't CARE LESS!! Horrible experience.

Mom has cancer & a lot of her memory & decision-making were off. Was responsible- paying her bills. I would call online # to pay her bill. It asks for acct and social. Would return back as incorrect. To me it’s just aggravating to me. Didn’t want to bombard her w/stressful issues that I can take care of myself. After meds & chemo & radiation, discussion about discontinuing the card was made. She truly didn't need nor does she abuse it. She ask me again to pay the final amount on card... I agree (kicking and grinding my teeth) to call automated number called and still have the same issue. She had drafts for her satellite radio as well as Internet & alarm. For unseen reason it's been denied b/c of what? It wasn't worth arguing with this bank. Just feel she needs to mail her payment in along with her card sliced in many pieces. I hate them.

This bank doesn't protect its credit card clients at all. I've had two issues in the last year. The first one was a purchase overseas where what I paid for wasn't fully delivered. After going through all the hoops to get a credit they eventually reversed it saying I had to go deal directly with the store. I had already tried to deal with the store and the store refused to resolve the issue.

The second problem was an online recurring charge that continued for months despite trying to cancel the service through the online company. Eventually, I called the bank and they started a file to look into it, but I had to cancel the card and have a new one issued in order for them to guarantee that future charges wouldn't come through from the online company. They did their 'review' and again sided with the company. The bank said it wasn't fraud by the company because I had originally ordered the service. Since the company doesn't allow you to cancel the service, I don't know what else you'd call it.

To top it all off, the bank didn't actually close the original credit card account. They just issued new cards with a new number. Another charge came through the original account a month later. This bank has no interest in protecting its credit card holders so don't bother getting a card from them.

I had a credit card with them with a limit of $5,200.00. I never paid the minimum and was never late. Two weeks ago, I made a large payment of $3,000.00 online to have some available credit for a vacation I am planning in the Spring. Lo and behold, after they got and credited that payment, they reduced my credit limit to $2,350.00. I was livid because I got no explanation. I called them when I noticed that the limit was reduced more than 1/2 of my good standing account with them. The agent on the phone indicated that she could see no reason in her files why, but they will probably send me a letter because it WAS reduced. I really think this was horrible. I am going to close out this account and never deal with them again.

I have been a member of FNBO for 12 years and they doubled my interest rate because my electronic payment was a day late due to a bank error. That was years ago and they have never lowered it and have refused numerous requests to do so despite an otherwise perfect 12 years of payments. Luckily I don't have a revolving balance so it is not much an issue to me personally.

I recently had fraudulent activity on my account which forced me to cancel that card and start a new one. I called to discuss another matter and found out they were sending a replacement card to some stranger who called and simply asked to have one sent to a random address in California! NO scrutiny whatsoever!!!! After this happened they said I forfeited all rewards points and my new card did not have a rewards program.

Stay away from this company! They have no respect for their customers and a huge lag in security. Protect yourself and get something back for all the money you make for whichever company you decide to go with. Just be sure it is NOT First National Bank of Omaha!

First National was my bank - very first bank - when I was 18. I did business with them for over 12 years. I was not late on line of credit payments, etc... I was in good standing. I was going through my divorce in my 30s and out of the blue, they called and said they wanted all the line of credit paid in full within 10 days. Long and short, they monitor divorce records and wanted to be the first to collect their money if I was going to be in financial ruin (which I wasn't). I borrowed the money, paid them and decided I would never do business with them again. In addition, I remember they were extremely rude and nothing was negotiable. I held to my promise and never did business with them again until I was recently duped.

My son is a teen and we spend much of our money at Scheels. Scheels kept selling the cash back feature of their credit card so I eventually gave in and signed up. In the meantime, my father became very ill and eventually died. I was preoccupied and nothing was important except for my father. I paid my bills when I had the energy and this continues for over a month. In the meantime, I had never received my first bill from Scheels. I went into Scheels customer service and told them I had never received my first bill. They were clueless and told me to just wait. Long And short, the credit card is managed First National Bank of Omaha and I was not aware of this.

Because of my past experience, I never paid attention to anything with First National Bank on it... Mail always goes in trash as I don't do business with them. I explained my current situation with all my creditors, etc. First Bank, Chase, US Bank were so so kind. So kind in fact I was pleasantly surprised. First National, on the other hand, would harass me by phone every hour on the hour. They would call twice within 5 minutes, 8:30 at night. Now remember I had no idea who this company was that kept calling. I thought it was a telemarketer and no message was ever left on my phone.

One night I was with my father in the hospital and I was taking care of him and my phone starting ringing and sent call to VM. They called again and again I sent to voicemail. They called a third time and I answered and I didn't give them the chance to speak and said, "Do not call this number again." I then received a collections letter and I was dumbfounded because I have always been in great standing with all info business. I thought it was a mix-up, mistake, etc ... NOPE... When I called it was First National Bank collector representing my Scheels account.

I explained this was all a mistake and that I had never received a bill. Told them the entire story about going into Scheels customer service, my dad, First National Bank mail always goes in trash, etc... They were not sympathetic. They were rude and cold. My credit has always been above 720. They turned me in as a non-pay which hurt my credit score. They were awful. Beyond awful... Just as I remember they had been when I was getting a divorce. Now recently, my son was using card at Scheels and he went over limit. The card allowed this overage and did not stop the sale or other pitches on different dates.

Now they are billing me for $1500 per month and said they did me favor by not embarrassing me and getting card rejection. I have not been late paying, etc. but again with the phone calls day and night... over and over. Now they're saying they want the overage money and if I go another month in paying the overage they are reporting it and closing card.

Needless to say, DO NOT bank with these people. They are ruthless, heartless, cold thieves. We would all be better off borrowing money from the neighborhood bookie or mob. I have had over 15 years between doing business with this bank and they have not changed. I have spoken to others and everyone has a similar experience. We have to stop putting up with this type of bank. They are disgusting.

First National Bank of Omaha Company Profile