2. Finance
  3. Banks and Credit Unions

3.7/5 (94 ratings)

About Arvest Bank

Arvest Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Arvest Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Arvest Bank?

Original review: May 24, 2020

I opened an account last Thursday. Everything was good until my deposit didn't go through on my new account then I went to the bank to deposit 200.00 to fund the account. Mind you I have 14 days. The banker never told me they were my account was sent to the fraud dept and it was being closed. I had to go back up there to the bank, pick up my money. come home and still feel like I was taken advantage of. Still no reason why and the bank manager at the branch didn't have no reason to why and them banker knew this was wrong. I wouldn't bank here again. I will not shop at Walmart again and I will not be having nothing else to do with Walmart. They're sick people.

Original review: May 9, 2020

Arvest staff for some reason are of the most unhelpful bank personnel around. They seem to believe they are doing you a huge favor giving you your money you entrust them with. I have banked there for several plus years and each year they get worse. Tried to get a copy of a document notarized the other day of which they notarized the original two days prior. Wouldn't do it - said it was against policy. I need to go to a notary. I go down the road to a different bank. No problem.

Did a wire transfer this week and the money doesn't show up. So I go to the branch in Van Buren AR to see what's up. They tell me they had a question for the sending bank and hadn't heard back. I asked what would happen if I didn't come looking for my money. They stated nothing they guess. No phone call no email. Nothing. So I call the sending bank - a real bank and they state they answered the question two days ago and the money was already with Arvest for 4 days.

So I call head office of Arvest in Fayetteville. I'm told to speak to the fraud dept since there is a problem. The call starts at 9:15 and I begin to hold... finally I am told the person who needs to speak to me is a Ms Gillian and will need to hold. 45 minutes later Gillian comes on the phone and begins to give me the third degree asking all sorts of questions. Where does the money come from, what is it for, how much is it, who does it belong to, why was it sent, what is the purpose and on and on. I ask for her last name since I sense a review will be eminent, but she tells me she needn't give me that, it's not required. I am here to answer questions. All the question which have nothing to do with the bank. I ask what the problem is. Can't give me one.

She says I will receive an email when they release the money. They have no cause to hold my money for any reason and now it just for spite. If you argue with them they list you in their subnotes for other colleagues so all can give you a hard time - because how dare you stand up for yourself. I have never been overdrawn or had a single item returned in 7 years. I have no finance with them or owe them a penny. They hold my my money. Not I theirs. Yet I must be treated like a villain by them.

Last year I closed 4 accounts with them for being equally useless. Beware doing business with this bank. They do not value customers at all. Their motto should simply be easy come easy go as far as customers are concerned. And to crown it all they lie left right and center. Be sure to record them as they record us. You never know where you might post the interesting recordings. Mine will be going on Youtube! At the writing of this review still they haven't completed my transaction which is also my last major transaction with them. Advice. They are good as a little "piggy bank" account holder - that's all. Work with a real bank not these clowns.

Original review: March 13, 2020

I have had horrible customer service since I opened a credit card through Arvest Bank in Jan 2020. Every time there is a credit/payment, the company holds it over a week before posting to my account. But within 24 hours they shows charges. Customer Service has no clue or explanation why. I have never had this issue with anyone else before. They are a joke, don't waste your time.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2020

I have had problems with Arvest Bank for years. 3 years ago I wanted to open a secured credit card with a bank. I went to Bank OZK and Arvest. Bank OZK's process was easy and completely online. Within one week I was approved for a $800 secured credit account. At the same time I went to a physical Arvest location to talk to someone. The person I talked to had no idea what I was talking about and confused me into opening a $600 CD, and calling that a secure credit card. While I have been able to use it like a credit card and it accrues interest like a CD, I have been told multiple times that because it is a CD and not a regular credit card, I can only close the account during a one-week period, even if I had a $0.00 balance the other 51 weeks.

Most recently, charges were VERY slow to post to my account and I unknowingly went negative on my checking account. Arvest charged me $51 in overdraft fees, and when I contacted customer service they were very combative when I explained the situation. They tried to dismiss the whole thing and say, "oh, but we provide better overdraft fees than most 'local' banks." I informed that I would like to cancel my service and switch to a no-fee bank (Chime). The associate said in a snarky tone that no such bank existed and she had never heard of a no-fee bank. When I informed her that Chime, Capital One 360, and others provide no-fee services she dismissed them saying, "hmm, never heard of them." I have learned my lesson and will be switching my checking account to Chime and just doing my best to close out my CD account as soon as I can. Wish me luck.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I tired to close my checking account, as I work out of town and a bank that I can't use 100% without going into a branch, does not work for me. So I called. I had a $0.01 balance in my savings account and a $0.54 balance in my checking account. I was told I had to drive 6 hours home and do it in person. I then tried to get someone from their customer service line to help me. No luck. In fact, I was talked to like I was a brainless 2 year old child. I was told if my bank balance was zero, the account would be closed. So I jumped through horrid hoops online to get it to a zero balance.

When I did I called back and was told that I had to come in and do it in person. When I expressed my displeasure and got upset they started screaming unprofessionally. I switched banks and not only can I do everything 100% online, but they gave me a loan when Arvest refused. Arvest is owned by the Wal-Mart Family and their customer service reflects that of Wal-Mart.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2019

This review has nothing to do with actual bank locations, the people there are always great to deal with. I travel for work and stay in hotels most of the year. On Sunday when the hotel charge went through I noticed it overdrafted my account. I instantly transferred $500 from Venmo and my account went positive $128 ON SUNDAY. Monday still shows the same $128 balance. Tuesday the account is negative $82, why you ask? Because even though the Venmo payment was on my account Sunday they put every transaction that happened after the Venmo transfer on before it and hit me with 8 NSF Charges totally $134....Good job Arvest, as soon as I'm back home I will be closing my account and finding a better bank. Customer service is by far the most disrespectful and sarcastic group of people I've dealt with from any other bank.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2019

Don't bank with Arvest. If you ever leave Arkansas, you should get an account with a national bank. Arvest has little presence in the country and if you encounter a problem while traveling, or need funds wired, they are of little help. I schedule a wire transfer over a week ago and the money has still yet to hit my other account. The money has been taken out by Arvest, it is no longer in my account, but they can't tell me when it will be in the other account. Unbelievable.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2019

Arvest appealed to me with a direct mail flyer that dangled an interest rate of 5.9 percent, but when I called the bank's toll-free number to apply, I was told I didn't qualify for that rate. Nonetheless, the sales rep convinced me on the phone that my $13,000 loan would be paid off in 5 years. After 2 years, I had barely made a dent in the principal because more than half of my $297 monthly payment was going toward interest (the rate Arvest actually gave me was 15.99%). As soon as I could, I called Arvest and, thanks to a withdrawal from my IRA, paid off the balance (which was still over $11,000) by phone.

A few days later, Arvest erroneously debited my checking account for $297. I called to demand a refund—having been informed by the bank on the phone, days earlier, that the loan was paid in full—and the CS rep apologized and said a check for $297 would be issued in two weeks. When, over a month after my complaint, I finally received a check, it was for $151, not $297. Another phone call yielded the explanation that the two CS reps I had spoken with earlier had forgotten to factor in interest when they quoted my loan balance.

So Arvest just reached into my bank account and took it (and then some). I should not have signed up for this loan, nor should I have dealt with this bank on any level. I should have put the phone down the minute I realized the offer Arvest was making did not match the one it described in its mailing, not even close. And I should never have given Arvest--a bank I had never heard of--access to my checking account.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2019

I went in the bank to get a letterhead statement, a voided check and print something out, not sure how to download and print from my phone. ** simply made my visit a one stop shop! He is very professional, very polite, and well knowledged and well dressed. He helped me with everything I needed, downloaded forms, signed and notarized them and helped me upload them back. Thanks ** and Arvest Bank for going the extra mile for your account holders! If you want the same great service go to Wal-Mart 7800 NW Expressway Oklahoma City.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

This bank is a complete joke. You'd be better off trusting your money to a perfect stranger. The app is not a full service. I've set up alerts from my laptop at least 4 times within the last 3 months and I'm still not getting alerts via text, no matter how many times I enter that into the system. And the customer service in person and over the phone is sad. I'm pretty sure these people have little to no training in systems or in general politeness. They need to go to Chick-fil-A training. Geesh!

Arvest Bank Company Information