Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

Overall Satisfaction Rating 4.03/5

Since 2011, General Assembly has transformed tens of thousands of careers with their coding, data science and UX bootcamps. They provide courses in today’s most in-demand skills. When you learn with GA, you get award-winning curriculum, expert instructors, a global community of 70,000-plus full- and part-time alumni, career results from leading-edge tech courses, with mentorship each step of the way.

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

General Assembly Reviews

Original review: March 2, 2019

This was a 6 weeks online course. A suggestion I did have was potentially having local mentors. This would suit the one-on-ones in being about to properly connect and catch-up with the work assignments and the challenges it brings.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2019

I attended the Data Analytics Course in Washington, DC. It was fast-paced, but there was ample opportunity to communicate with the instructors both online and in-person. I learned so much valuable information! Would definitely recommend!

Original review: Feb. 26, 2019

The big reason I decided to attend GA versus other code camps is because they had an Outcomes program, which was supposed to give you support after the program in order to help you land interviews, pass interviews, and get that job. Not only was our Outcomes constantly gone throughout the program, but when they were supposed to transfer me from one campus to another after my program due to me moving from the east coast to west coast they dropped the ball constantly and I was left without support for over a month.

Also in order to pad their numbers they considered me getting a part time retail job to help with bills as successfully getting hired and closed out my account making me unable to get any continued support. Also they had instructors quit a few months before the program started and instead of doing the responsible thing and pushing back the program for when they got a proper instructor they instead had a web design instructor teach a data science course for 4 weeks. This place is a scam. Stay away.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

HTML, CSS and Web Design circuit - I thoroughly enjoyed each lesson, as it worked around my time and I could do everything at my own pace. I just wish that some of the courses weren't so expensive as I'd love to be able to do more.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

My experience in the UX Immersive program, Atlanta Campus wasn't all that I hoped it would be. The number of students in the class was distracting and ultimately put us competing on the market at the same time for jobs, making it more challenging and not holding up to what were were "sold on". There seemed to lack enough "relationships" with companies that GA told us about. Not enough people came to our showcase. The wifi issues were frustrating and although we were offered $2,000 since one student received a $5K refund, it felt like if we didn't complain throughout the course we weren't being compensated for our troubles. We were in the same course and had the same experience. Overall, I felt GA could have done better.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Assembly?

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I studied at the Atlanta campus at a night Digital Marketing intensive. While I found the teacher proficient in the subject matter I think we (the students) could have benefited from different perspectives from professionals in the field. I often find contradictions for approaches now that I am in the field, and that started day one.

Admittedly, this is bound to happen for some topics because digital marketing is still emerging and growing, but only having one perspective (and it seemed like she was fairly new in the field herself) has been challenging as I try to find work and network with other people.

I also find it disheartening that resources that are available to all of the other subjects that GA (such as a job boards and career days) are not available to digital marketing students. One of the things that helped motivate me to signing up for General Assembly was the opportunities for networking with professionals so that I might have a better go at expanding my career. Digital Marketing students pay a substantial fee and to not have similar post-graduation resources has been disheartening and the #1 reason why I have not recommended GA to others (and I have been asked numerous times). I only say it's a good opportunity if an employer will be paying for it. Ultimately it was not terrible, but far lacking in comparison to what other students of GA enjoy.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I've taken a few classes at GA in NYC. Most of my experiences have been great and informative except for 2 classes. For one class, it seemed like the instructor was rushing through the material, and the second class, the instructor wasn't as organized. All the instructors are very knowledgeable of the subject they're teaching.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

I was part of the 2nd UXDI cohort so there may have been changes since then. Some of the weeks felt unnecessary there. The visual design and web design weeks were kind of a wash. The group was completely unmotivated during that time and the curriculum was not helpful by the end of the program. It would have been much more productive if we were giving both of those weeks or at least one week to work on our portfolio. It was frustrating that we had to scramble making our portfolio in such a short time before the meet and greet. That time more than ever we needed support and making our portfolios look great.

Finding work was extremely difficult, I think only one person out of my entire cohort actually got a successful contact through the meet and greet event. It was really hard to find a company that wanted an entry-level UX designer. I wish that there was more coaching on interviewing outside of the meet-and-greet event. I think that the client project needs to be moderated more by GA. It seemed to lack direction but I'm unsure if that responsibility lies on GA or the client. I did love my teacher and my class was very special. I do tell any person who gets in touch with me that is looking into doing the program that the teacher/class can make or break the program. I've heard bad experiences with other teachers. They may need to be vetted more.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I took the GA UX Design Circuit 6 week online course. The course was very informative and I learned a lot during my time taking it. I had a 2 mentors who became my 'go to' mentors to chat with and they were helpful. The provided great feedback and good insights on how to move forward with the project. One issue I had was with a 3rd mentor I spoke to. This mentor was not much help and threw off my work for the week I spoke to him which in turn made the following weeks harder. He didn't offer great feedback and he didn't seem like he wanted to be there helping. It felt like I was bothering him during our meeting. Throughout the lessons one thing I kept noticing was the terminology was not consistent. In the lessons it would call something by one name but then in the tests or on the list of the weekly projects it would have a different name. This caused a little bit of confusion.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I am a UX/UI Designer, and I took GA's FEWD course in NYC campus during Spring of 2018. The instructor was well experienced in the relevant industry and has in-depth knowledge in his field. The class and the course were well organized, and students were given full support and instructions to accomplish homework. The campus facilities are great - there is free coffee and ample space for students to work. The best part is the alumni are always welcome to GA, so I came into campus during my job search even after my course ended.

General Assembly Company Information