Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.59/5

Ford Windstar

The Ford Windstar minivan was sold from 1995-2003, when it was renamed the Ford Freestar, which was discontinued in 2007. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

206 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: March 28, 2010

I purchased a '98 Ford Winstar last spring. I received a recall notice about the ABS/break fluid leak and took it in to have it repaired a couple of months ago. In the last two days, I have lost my car to fire. My family had just gone to the grocery store and within 5-10 min, we hear over the loud speaker there is a fire in the parking lot. We were still fairly close to the entrance of the store and when we looked out, we saw the hood of our van in flames. The fire was all under the hood of the vehicle and through the electrical wiring of the rear door. The van is a complete loss. I never heard anything about a cruise control recall or any other fire hazards that may occur with these vehicles. And the information we did get, we assumed we had the fire issue fixed. Not even a used car salesmen should be able to resell these vehicles if they have not been serviced for the recalls!

Original review: March 18, 2010

Ford truck and Windstar fires! This has to do with the long awaited for the recall of the Windstar. We have a 2000 and read about this problem long about two years ago because of some of the engine problems they had with the intake gaskets or the lower seals being made out of the wrong materials and ended up loosing the seal to the intake. At this time, 09/25/2009, the recall was not enforced for the Windstar, only the pick-ups. So I had bought all the parts to repair, the intake leak and the deactivation switch for the cruise control.

When I received the letter from Ford about the recall on the switch and the letter states that they would reimburse anyone that had replaced this switch, I sent them the original receipt with the switch clearly marked on it and they now say that because it was not done by an authorized Ford dealer that my claim was not eligible for the reimbursement. I'm disabled and do not have the funds to take my auto to get repaired when this repair is so easy to do. My 13-year old granddaughter helped me replace the Ford's mistake with the plenum seals and the cruise control deactivation switch.

They will never admit to the mistake with the seals and refused to reimburse the $22.11 for the SCDS switch. Luckily, there was only some brake fluid that had to be cleaned off the electrical control at the top of the transmission. This is where the fires start. This fixed the operation of the cruise control and set my mind at ease.

Original review: March 10, 2010

On March 3, 2010 my husband and I were taking my 2001 Ford Windstar to the shop to have the heater core replaced in it. Since the heater core was shot all you could smell is antifreeze and it was fogging the windows up. On the way, I noticed my van was smoking because my husband was in front of me. I called him to tell him it was smoking and he believed it was just cold. I convinced him to pull over and before he could reach the hood latch there were flames coming out from under the hood. I sat and watched my van go up in flames.

There is absolutely nothing left of it. The insurance company hasn't settled with us. I did however have full coverage on my vehicle but have to take away the $500 deductible. This being said I'll most likely get about $3-4,000 dollars for my van. I paid $7,995 and after the interest I had paid a total of $11,000 for it. I will never recommend ford Windstars to anyone.

Original review: March 7, 2010

I purchased a 1999 Ford Windstar van with low mileage and right from the start, I was having problems. The check engine light would always stay on and the transmission o/d light would flash if I drove over the speed of 80 km/hr. I have taken this van to numerous shops hoping someone could fix the problem but that check engine light would always return. I have actually spent around $3000 this year alone on maintenance and repairs. I can't even re-insure this vehicle because in order to insure it, I have to pass the annual air care test.

They refuse to test vehicles that have the check engine light lit up. The transmission went at 90,000 km and was rebuilt but now at 130,000 km, the transmission is ready to go again at a replacement cost of around $3000. I went to the Ford dealer and they stand behind this vehicle. I asked them if they could guarantee that they could get the engine light to go off if I let them work on the vehicle. Otherwise, why would I have this work done if the vehicle would still be uninsurable due to the engine light staying on? They then told me "no, they couldn't" and quite frankly, they said they don't want customers like me anyways. I asked what kind of customer is that. The Ford manager replied, "well, someone like you is likely to sue us."

I bought this van to start a painting company. I have spent a lot of money on tools, advertising, car maintenance, insurance, etc., but now I can't even run my company without a properly working vehicle. I think this van is unfixable and Ford isn't taking accountability for its poorly designed product. I am scared and stressed out! The painting season is coming and I don't know what to do. I can't afford to buy another vehicle. I spent $3000 on this vehicle already this year and it still won't work properly and I can't even insure it because of its defect.

I would have never purchased this vehicle if I had known. The consumer reports gave no warnings and only shouted praise for this vehicle. Because there is no way to re-insure this vehicle, the city may come with a tow truck and remove it from the street. So I purchased this van for $5000 and I have put over $3000 into it. I went online and found 80 people who had the same problems with this same vehicle.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2010

There was an electrical problem and blown head on a 95 Ford Windstar. It seems to be a common problem but Ford won't fix it. My brother was using this mini van for work and he lost his job because I don't have the $1500.00 to fix it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Windstar?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2010

Ford Winstar 1998 with lower mileage caught on fire in the highway on Oct. 9, 2009. However, the only response from Ford states that they are willing to pay $2,310 for my loss.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2010

I've owned 2 Ford Windstars, a 1995 and a 2000. The 95 had transmission issues 4 years after I bought it and it cost me a new transmission. I was talked into buying a 2000 Windstar by a Ford HQ employee who said the transmission issues were fixed. He also gave me a $3000 credit on a new Ford, that's what sold it for me. The 2000 van had 87,000 miles on it and that transmission also failed. The cost is $3500. Ford said I was out of luck and they couldn't do anything about it. I will never buy another Ford product again. I will tell everyone I know not to buy a Ford. If you do, good luck.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2009

I also have a 1995 Windstar. I will never own the first model year of any vehicle again, as the recalls are numerous and frustrating. I believe that Ford should have acknowledged this as a lemon. I had really bad experiences with the dealership in Dublin where I purchased the van, and when the recall came out for the head gasket, it also included the same model year of Mustang that my husband (ex now) owned at the time. The dealership in Concord where we lived at the time had no problem putting another engine in for him, so when the van started acting up the same way, we knew what needed to be done.

I actually broke down on Highway 5 on the way back from visiting a friend who lived just off the Grapevine. I had both of my girls with me, and they were both still in car seats. Not only was it a hassle to get a tow truck that was able to accommodate the car seats, but I also had them tow us from the Coalinga rest stop to Dublin, CA. I had the bill from that at $150.00+ since I also had the AAA 100-mile tow package, or it would have been considerably more. Then, the dealership was saying that they could find nothing wrong with the van, which we know was a lie. My husband told me to have it towed to the Concord Dealership where they put a rebuilt engine in it.

I have had to take so much time off work in dealing with the recalls in the past and not being compensated for rental cars, etc., but to also be knowingly lied to makes me not want to ever own a Ford again. Unfortunately, I still own this one, and I just received another recall letter - this time for the possibility of it catching fire from a faulty speed control deactivation switch that may leak brake fluid. Like I stated, the local dealership is no longer in business, and there is not another one located conveniently nearby. I am not in a position where I can take time off of work, plus the van was hit while it was parked in front of my house; and the insurance company of the person that hit it decided that it was not worth the estimate to repair, so they totaled it.

I am now driving it as a salvaged vehicle. I already requested that Ford send the part (and reimbursement) to the repair shop that I do work with, that I can walk to, but they are not willing to do that. I will most likely have to find a way to pay for that too. Meanwhile, I just did a survey that they sent to me from Ford, because of this situation, and I answered it very negatively, as well as telling them I will not own a Ford again. It is sad to see that this is not an isolated incident. Thank you for letting me vent.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2009

I have a 1998 Ford Windstar. On July 6, 2009, the minivan burned up and was a total loss. I was driving to pick up supper, and the cruise control went off and I couldn't turn it back on. I drove on, picked up supper (turning off the car). When I started the car back up, smoke billowed instantaneously. I pulled around the corner, away from the building, turned the car off, and popped the hood. There was s small fire somewhere in the alternator area. I grabbed my one year old and ran inside the store to call the Fire Department. By the time they got there, the car was engulfed in flames and a total loss.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2009

I purchased this vehicle used about 4 years ago. I had the vehicle for about 1 year and it had approximately 85,000 or so miles on it, when the transmission went. I had it replaced at the cost of $1800. and now 2 years later with 120,000 miles on it, the transmission has gone again. Two days after the transmission went I heard that there is a recall on Windstars for a faulty cruise control switch that can start a fire. I don't think I want to put anymore money into this vehicle, because I don't know how long the new transmission will last and I just don't have the cash to do it. I wish someone could give me some answers. I have heard that many other people have had similar problems with Windstar transmissions.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2009

I bought a 1996 Windstar,with 61,000 miles,in 2004,and at 64,000 miles,we told dealer it had a miss. Dealer said he'd take care of it.Needed a tune up, he said, 30 days later we found out it was a Head gasket.We paid $3,000 for it and put water pump,and gasket sealer in Engine.The dealer knew it had a bad head gasket..He said we'd be surprised how it would run, we sure were.But it's still running.And check engine light is still on. They say it's a sensor...

Original review: Oct. 13, 2009

I own a 2000 Ford Windstar and my interior lights flash and my front heat doesn't work only cold air comes out my drivers side rear door leaks when it rains my drivers side seat switch has a short in it

Original review: Sept. 12, 2009

I have a 2002 Ford Windstar, I went to park on Labor Day this year and parked van. A few hours later, I went to van and tried to use my remote to get in and it would not work. Once I got directly on the van I smelled and odor like burnt rubber that was really strong. I got in van with my key and started the van. It was very hot that day so I went to roll down the power windows and they didn't work. I then went to turn on the air conditioning and it didn't work. I then looked at my dash and realized I had loss all power nothing was work, odometer, temperature, radio,headlights etc. I thought I just blew a fuse stayed at the park. When I went home several hours later I still smelled odor but told my husband I would go to shop in morning before work to have my mechanic look at it. That morning I went to shop and they said it was not fuse. They did computer diagnosic and visual and for several hours could not find why I loss power. Once he raised that van in air on machine. He inspected under the van and there it was. He told me to here and showed me where the ABS system caught fire and started burning into my gas line. He told me that my family and I were very lucky.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2009

i cant believe that ford co. will not recall their windstars due to not enough casuality i have 4 grandchildren and my daughter has a windstar they have a problem with the rear axle which ford will not replace because there have only been 2 deaths i dont blame people who buy non american vehicles this has to be fixed before any more injuries or deaths occur

Original review: Aug. 17, 2009

I have a 2001 Ford Windstar which I like very much. Unfortunately, the transmission failed after it was diagnosed as a cooler failure. It has 122,000 miles on it which is 95% highway miles. My original brake pads are only 40% worn, to prove a point. My suggestion is this, when I have dash indicators that tell if I have low tire pressure or a light bulb burned out, why in the world isn't there a sensor that tells you that your transmission is heating up above normal? If there were an indicator, it would have saved me a lot of money!

Original review: April 13, 2009

Speed control stopped working. Brake light is on all the time. I took the car to the dealership for the dealership covered speed control, 2002 Windstar. I was told this VIN is not in the recall. Should I believe them or where can I find the recalled VIN to check myself?

Original review: April 11, 2009

It happened twice, once at 50,000 and the second at 80,000. Van was my grandma's and has sentimental value. If it happens again, I will not repair it.

Original review: April 11, 2009

I bought my 2000 Ford Windstar about 5 years ago. After only having it a month, the transmission went. Luckily, this was covered by warranty. Then 2 months later, the exhaust system had to be replaced. The ford company told me nothing else would be covered under the warranty. Now my van has seized working because of wiring problems and numerous problems! Ford will not replace or make this right!

Original review: April 2, 2009

Damn shame! My wife purchased a New 2003 Windstar. I had some work done at the dealership. When I picked it up, there was a chunk of paint about 6 inches in diameter missing just above the sliding door. Upon further inspection, the roof had paint that had also been washed away. Wow was my feeling. I took it to the service manager at the Ford dealership. He said that there was nothing he could do. So I called Ford customer service, 3 different phone calls. On every call, I was told nothing they can do. Made even more special since I have worked for a Ford dealer the past ten years. Howie doddie. Thanks for nothing.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2009

bought in 2003. had it for 1 yr and transmission went out. had en extended warranty thru mercury they woulnt cover it . we hadno money to fix it so we end up with an high interest rate ford credit card to pay for it. now the transmission has gone out again?? !!have to pay again!!plus we had power stering pump go out and some other issues. this was our first newer car.and i regret buying it.we never had problems of this magnatude with our 10-13old cars!!!?

Original review: Jan. 14, 2009

Head Gasket issues with 95' Ford Windstar 3.8l. I have read Hundreds of complaints about this problem. There is an Obvious manufacture issue with this year/engine. I bought a 95'Windstar first part of 03', the previous owner had the headgasket replaced. Two years ago I had the headgasket replaced with an upgraded headgasket $1000.00, now it needs to be done AGAIN!!!! I can understand headgasket failure once but 3-4 times. Why is there no Legal Action here.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2008

My 1999 Ford Windstar just blew the transmission at 189,000 Kms and it cost me $4100. While the Ford Dealer, Dearborn in Kamloops, BC Canada was excellent in turning us around with a rebuilt transmission. However, this is far too early to have a transmission fail. We were stranded so the best option in this situation was this expensive replacement. Ironically, the van works fine otherwise even though the book value is below the transmission cost. Not very happy with the Ford manufacturer and will definitely look at an import. No wonder North American mfrs are in trouble. Had to spend two extra nights in a hotel at $236 plus $4100 for the repairs.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2008

I bought a '98 Windstar in Summer of '03. A few months after I got it, I noticed that it would appear to be locking and unlocking the torque converter while traveling around 45-60mph. Although this problem was annoying, it didn't affect the performance seeing as I drove it on the interstate most of the time and kept it at 70mph or better. 5 months later, the service light came on. I had it checked and was told that it was an oxygen sensor on the back engine bank. About 4 months later, it blows a head gasket. I get it home and park it for 3 weeks. I go to start it up to try to get it fixed, when it cranked up, it broke a connecting rod on one of the pistons. No dealership would take it in on trade. The body was fine and it was clean. The van had 89,000 miles on it when I got it. It blew up at 114,00 miles.

When this Windstar's engine blew up, I was living 125 miles from my hometown and I knew no one. I also had a 6-month old baby at the time and was having to walk nearly 4 miles to work while pushing him in a stroller in the middle of summer while it was nearly 100 degrees outside. I ended up buying a very cheap and very rough vehicle that was barely able to get me back and forth to work. No way that I could get back home, which was 125 miles away, couldn't move back home, couldn't get another decent vehicle because of this piece of junk. I have just recently been able to get a good vehicle due to this thing being on my credit because I couldn't afford the $2500 to fix it when I still owed almost $7000 on it.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2008

Have a 98 windstar, for 10 yrs only 60,000 head gasket is shot. I have no options. Ford sucks. Will never buy again and will tell everyone to buy foreign.......

Original review: Sept. 22, 2008

My 2002 Ford Windstar needs its 4th replacement transmission. I am being discriminated for using my Extended Warranty to cover this. When you use your Extended Warranty for this, parts and service are warrantied for 12 months or to the end of your Extended Warranty, whichever is more. If I had paid for it myself and not use my Extended Warranty, it is covered for 3 years or 75,000 miles.

I last had it replaced under the Extended Warranty in April 2006. Since I used my Extended Warranty, it was only covered til April 2007. If I had paid for it myself, It would have been covered until April 2009. Same service, parts, etc.

I am at a financial loss because I used my Extended Warranty. I now have to pay for a transmission which should have been covered for 3 years, just like a cash customer.

Original review: Aug. 25, 2008

Head gasket failure at only 49K miles. Unfortunately, the car was 10 years old and Ford said sorry, out of warranty. The engine light had been coming on for 8 to 10 months before the gasket was finally diagnosed/replaced.

$1700 for the gasket replacement. About $400 in related (unnecessary?) repairs prior to successful diagnosis.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2008

I was driving my 1999 ford windstar minivan when the subframe came unattached just lucky that I wasn't going at high rate of speed. I checked with ford dealership to see if this may be cover since it was the frame of the car however it wasn't. I have only had the car for about 1year it is going to cost me almost over 1000.00 to fix. This has cause a real hardship on me being a single mother also. Is there anyway that you might warn others about this possible very dangerous thing so that it could not happen to them. I would also like to know if their is anything that you might be able to help me also.

Original review: July 31, 2008

I was blessed with a 96 Ford Windstarmy old car died on me and a family Blessed me with the van, they had mentioned that they had put a new transmission,and I should not have to worry, then a year later I had to replace the Transmission,that has been two years now in 2008, while taking my three children to the beach the Transmission went out again. Now being a single parent of three children and working part-time,and very often I try to check on them in school, while My self going back to school to give they them a better life, now I am having to contend with raising up money for it to be fixed this makes no sence, the body of the car is in such good condition, its just the engine, now I hear that I am not the only one complaining about this very same issue. I thought that integrity of Ford as a company would make sure that their customers are happy, who knows If they took care of it they might have happy future buyers, I mean now all we can say about the Ford windstar is not good, do you thing that we would want our children in a Ford cause a company that is for the family want them to be happy, not the case with this situation. Please Ford take care of this.

Original review: July 11, 2008

The service department at this Ford dealership has had my '99 Ford Windstar for 2 1/2 months now for a repair issue. It was brought to them on April 25th with an electrical problem; the vehicle had died while driving it. They thought it was the Instrument Control Panel and replaced that (it took 2 1/2 weeks as part was back ordered). I drove the vehicle after it was supposedly fixed and it died again after five days. They replaced the instrument panel again (I knew at that time that particular part was not the problem!) after waiting another 2 1/2 weeks for another part the second time. I then picked up the vehicle and had it die on me not even 24 hours after I had picked it up from Ford. It was then towed to Ford again and they have been sitting on the vehicle ever since. I cannot seem to get them to get this vehicle fixed and returned to me. I am actually contemplating contacting an attorney because they will just not fix it and return it to me. They supposedly ordered a third instrument control panel, which came in on Monday (this is Friday) but they are now giving me the run-around about why it is not actually getting fixed this time around. I am completely and totally frustrated and feel like I will never get my vehicle back. In the meantime, the service department continues to make up reasons daily why it is still not fixed. I have contacted the Service Director, Steve Clark, who was as unhelpful and antagonistic as possible.

Original review: July 2, 2008

I bought a 1996 Ford Winstar with 56,000 miles. At 61,500 my head gasket was blown and it cost me $3,000.00. I ask if Ford would pay for any of the repair and was told no. They recalled 1995 but 1996 had fixed the problem. I am now having problems with the motor making a clicking noise and need to have it repaired again. I had just purchased it so I had a large loan on it. i had to take another loan out to get it repaired. At 100,000 I had to have the transmission rebuild which was another $1,895.00 to get it repaired. I have owned many Ford vechiles but this will be the last for me and my family. Ford need to do the right thing and do a recall and take care of the customers who have made them such a large company. I am now left with out a way to work. A Co-worker had a 1990 Chevy and it had almost 298,000 on it and just now stopped running. Disapointed customer.

Ford Windstar Company Information