Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.59/5

Ford Windstar

The Ford Windstar minivan was sold from 1995-2003, when it was renamed the Ford Freestar, which was discontinued in 2007. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

206 Ford Windstar Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 25, 2014

Rear axle cracked. Under where they put the part both rear tires are tilting in at the top. Recall repair failed on my Windstar.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2014

1999 ford windstar sel 70.000 miles - Had a transmission in the beginning. Electric doors don't work right. Brake lights don't work - had to bypass the module because FORD doesn't make it anymore. Headlights are shot - very foggy. Paint is peeling on the roof. Where are the recalls for this car. Had already at least 4 recalls. LEMON - FORD should buy them back. Very nasty on the phone. This is my last FORD. Bought a Cadillac SRX. SHAME on Ford. Can't even get 100,000 miles on this one. FORD I am done with you. After 3 problems it should have gone back. Can't wait to see what else will Happen. Use this around town only.

Original review: July 12, 2014

I have had 2 Windstars. 1 was 1998 which I drove for 9 years. It had it's typical maintenance along with a few minor issues too. My interior lights would randomly come on and stay on for periods of time. The heater blower motor died and could not defrost on winter days. I did receive the recall notice for the rear axle after I scrapped the van. My next van was the 2003. I have had this one for just over 3 years and just experienced the cracked rear axle first hand the other day. I was fortunate enough to get the van off the roadway.

The rear of the van would jump and slide when you hit a manhole cover or a bump in the road. I was able to be towed from where I was to the US/Canada border. AAA got me to the border and CAA. Brought me home. I spoke to my local dealer and told him my situation. He replied by saying that it was a recall issue and would be repaired along with the sub frame brackets also. I like the Windstar and have enjoyed them. As long as the dealer repairs what needs to be done I will just keep on motoring.

Original review: July 1, 2014

My Winstar 2001 cost me over the 2 months replacing battery twice, fuel pump, spark plugs twice and changed the oil twice. fuse and took it to the service station and they said it was the starter, but found out later it was not the starter. The Gas is spurting out gas on the sparkplugs and in oil every time he try to start the car. I like my Windstar but I know it has recalls and now I was told if I take it to the dealership, they will charge me an arm and a leg. Just diagnosis it. Why is this happening to the Ford Windstar 2001s. Why buy any car if it just comes down to a problem that may cost a fire, or even death to a family. I love the room it has for hauling people. I m having a hard time to even sale it as is.

Original review: May 1, 2014

I purchased a used 1999 Ford Conversion Van with the 5.4 liter engine. Nice looking van. Engines runs very smooth. Electrical problems are door locks work when they choose to, even while driving. Up and Down! Then the starter began to grind one day. I would have to turn the key once or twice to get the starter to engage and start the van. It got progressively worse. Up to 10 turns of the key to start. So I replaced the starter. The starters would work great for about a month then start the same thing as before. At starter number 6, I began to question auto store clerks and mechanics who told me everything from plastic failing inside the gear drive body to it not lining up with the flywheel. Some said they had never heard of my problem and didn't know what to do.

Then I was told I had to have a Motorcraft starter. It had one recently installed when I purchased it. It was the first to fail. I then call the Ford dealerships and talked to service Managers and mechanics who didn't know what to say. Now 10 or more starters later, no one knows what's wrong. I then learned that Ford started installing this 5.4 engine in 1997 through 2000 and has had nothing but problems with it. So why keep putting it in vehicles?

Oh, I plan to solve my problem by getting it to start like it did when I purchased it and then getting rid of everything Ford in my drive. Even if problems haven't started yet with the other products. When I purchase another vehicle, it won't be Ford, GM and definitely not Chrysler!!! Of the 3, they are by far the worse. I went to foreign cars some years ago and never had any major problems at all. They ran for many years and very high millage. Yes, the foreign car manufacturers did put their money where their mouth was with their warranties.

Why did I come back to American? I felt guilty because of all the family members who at the time worked for one of the American auto manufacturers. It's a move I should have never made. I've given them their final opportunity. I'm sorry but I'm about having the best for my hard-earned money and right now, it's not the American cars. I hate to say that too. Greed and an unwillingness to listen to its customers has caused them to make a substandard product and have a great falling away of customers. I'm not the only one who feels this way. Many of my friends feel the same way and they too feel bad that they cannot put any confidence into what's made here at home.

I remember when back in the 70's and early 80's the foreign car manufacturers were the butt end of every joke. Look now who's the joke. What a difference a few years, blew up egos, and management greed has made. Yes, I am upset, angry and disappointed. I did own a few American made old school cars a few years ago. Now these were cars with style and class. I've said enough. Now it's time for me to search the net for a nice, dependable FOREIGN car!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford Windstar?

Original review: April 17, 2014

So we sunk all our saving into a Ford Windstar van. Had it less than 2 months and we think the transmission went out! It'll start up, go into reverse but will not move forward! It gave absolutely no warning to this happening, no check engine light, no strange sounds, nothing! I am beyond livid! Now we have to spend 1000 dollars that we don't have to fix this van! Anyone know if I can call Ford and make them pay for these expenses!?

Original review: March 29, 2012

Well, I took my 2001 Windstar to Vallery Ford for the recall. It was a quiet van before I took it to them, but now it sounds like a big loud truck. I don’t know what they have done to make it sound like that and now it shakes real bad. I called them and they said all they did was what the recall was for, but no—they did something to it because it never shook or sound like a big load truck. I am so upset with them and Ford for making my van worse than it was. Something needs to be done. Now, my van is in worse shape than it was before the Ford recall. Ford or Vallery Ford doesn’t want to do anything about it. Is there anything that can be done?

Original review: March 20, 2012

1996 Windstar 220k miles - It blew the head gasket at 80k miles. It was properly repaired by the dealer. No other major problems other than normal wear, battery, bulbs. The A/C and cruise worked until few months ago. I hit a pothole and now have power steering leak. The only annoyance is intermittent misfire codes and check engine light. I also have a '95 Taurus Wagon 80k miles and runs like a top.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2012

On February 4, I went to the auction place in Harvey to purchase a car (2003 Ford Windstar). I even ask question and read the information they give you so I decided to buy a van. I didn't drive it until the 7th. I was in the highway with my kids in the car. When the car keep going sideways, I decided to get out the first exit and try to make it home. Almost halfway home, I heard a breaking sound that made my van go sideways almost flipping. I decided to slowly press the brakes and stop the car without harming my babies. When I got out the car, I noticed the car back axle had broken in half which had made the tires go on one side. I had to call a flat towed truck to come and take the car to a shop. At the shop, they told me we were lucky nothing bad happen to us because there's been a lot of accidents with this vans. And that the van was a recall car and it's not suppose to be sold by law because it can cause an accident. I've been calling the auction place to get a refund but they keep putting me on hold or hanging up. They are still selling these vans at this auction place. A lot of people could really get hurt.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2011

I bought my Ford Windstar in 1995 (first model, 3.0l V6). Since then, I had none of all these problems. In almost 17 years, I only had to change the tires, brakes, v-belt, one battery (my own fault, I kept the GPS in the plug during a 5 week holiday) and some front light bulbs. Today my WS is in the garage, because I couldn't measure the coolant. After this long time, it was almost black, but that's more than normal. Mileage is 156 k mls. It's always outside during the year, no own garage. I know, this is an exception, but because of his (yes, his) reliability I truly love this car. Greetings from Germany.

Ford Windstar Company Information